Remember me
▼ Content

Septic tanks and water pollution

Page 9 of 9<<<789
28-11-2020 10:10
Xadoman
★★★☆☆
(404)
Really should consider a roof, that can take a few solar panels, unless you plan on running a line out from the house. Lights, a fan, maybe some heat, would all be reasonable comforts, using 'green' energy though.

I am considering it. I am not sure how efficient is natural ventilation through ventilation pipes so an electrical fan could be needed. I initially though about installing whirly birds on vent pipes but I also do not know how effective are those. I guess if there is no wind they do not work.
So for the solar setup I need a couple of solar panels and that is it? Or do I need a battery also?
28-11-2020 11:47
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(3185)
Xadoman wrote:
Really should consider a roof, that can take a few solar panels, unless you plan on running a line out from the house. Lights, a fan, maybe some heat, would all be reasonable comforts, using 'green' energy though.

I am considering it. I am not sure how efficient is natural ventilation through ventilation pipes so an electrical fan could be needed. I initially though about installing whirly birds on vent pipes but I also do not know how effective are those. I guess if there is no wind they do not work.
So for the solar setup I need a couple of solar panels and that is it? Or do I need a battery also?

Solar's major malfunction, is that it only works during daytime hours... But, your power needs aren't going to be much, just occasionally at night, so not much of a battery, or charge controller, and panels.
28-11-2020 12:24
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15044)
Xadoman wrote:

No power at night from solar. Batteries can ballast solar power so you have power at night, but you won't have a lot of power. Maybe enough to run a light in the place for awhile. Fans require more power.

The whirly birds do work. It doesn't take much wind to run them. They don't have to run all the time either.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit
28-11-2020 18:38
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(3185)
Into the Night wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

No power at night from solar. Batteries can ballast solar power so you have power at night, but you won't have a lot of power. Maybe enough to run a light in the place for awhile. Fans require more power.

The whirly birds do work. It doesn't take much wind to run them. They don't have to run all the time either.

Wouldn't need to run the lights, the fan, or anything all the time, just when the outhouse is occupied. Could be on a motion detector and a timer. Just something to consider. Deep cycle marine batteries work pretty good, and living on a lake, should be able to 'borrow' one out of a boat...
28-11-2020 19:47
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15044)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

Wouldn't need to run the lights, the fan, or anything all the time, just when the outhouse is occupied. Could be on a motion detector and a timer. Just something to consider. Deep cycle marine batteries work pretty good, and living on a lake, should be able to 'borrow' one out of a boat...

Quite true, but I don't know if they allow boats on that lake. It's basically a swamp.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit
29-11-2020 04:00
James___
★★★★★
(4137)
Start watching at 2:00 minutes. With a 2 room shed, support can be added in the middle if there's a wall there. No reply necessary.

https://youtu.be/eryBwS2hJOM
29-11-2020 11:03
Xadoman
★★★☆☆
(404)
I found a quite funny video how to walk on the tiles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-pQSHk_S7I&ab_channel=MichaelSchojer
29-11-2020 15:24
James___
★★★★★
(4137)
clay; 1.702 gram per cubic centimeter
cement; 2.8 g/cm³

Why cement tiles can be walked on. And ridges increase surface area which increases strength. Basic engineering fact.

There is a significant difference in the weight of concrete and clay tiles. Concrete tiles weigh almost 40 percent more than clay tiles. While concrete can weigh anywhere from 820 to 1,100 pounds per 100 square feet, clay only weighs about 600 to 650 pounds. Therefore, homes looking to use concrete tiles need to ensure that their roof is structurally able to handle the weight.

https://www.cedur.com/clay-vs-concrete-roof-tiles

Au Revoir
Edited on 29-11-2020 15:46
29-11-2020 19:04
Xadoman
★★★☆☆
(404)
Another beautiful tile roof from the same guy. Turns out (from the comments) he is not in business anymore because nobody wants to learn this job anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AyrMRM5kmo&ab_channel=MichaelSchojer
10-12-2020 19:47
Xadoman
★★★☆☆
(404)
The superstructure is ready for the rafters. I used wooden boards over the frame for rigidity. Here are some pictures:

I also took some pictures of the lake. Notice the ice on the lake. We have -5 degrees Celsius here. I had some trouble to get the water pump out of the lake because of it.

31-01-2021 22:18
Xadoman
★★★☆☆
(404)
Today I lifted and fastened the rafters onto the wall plate.

The roof tiles also arrived last week. I made a small roof to try how the tiles would sit on the ridge.

I will eventually install a king post to support the ridge. The ceiling joists should have enough meat to whithstand the load from the roof.
24-02-2021 20:14
Xadoman
★★★☆☆
(404)
The underlayment and battens are finally in place.

24-02-2021 20:44
James___
★★★★★
(4137)
@Xadoman, will take me a day or 2 to go over your updates. I might have a lot of questions for you about the local environment and how your project allows for that.
Page 9 of 9<<<789

Join the debate Septic tanks and water pollution:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
water supply1521-01-2021 11:33
Desalination and evaporation of sea water at both poles1019-11-2020 23:57
water water water1231-01-2020 22:44
There is no evidence water vapor makes things hotter018-09-2019 21:34
CO2 saturated water409-08-2019 06:43
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact