▼ Content

Septic tanks and water pollution

Page 11 of 12<<<9101112>
11-04-2021 20:27
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I've seen a lot of gravity wheel designs, and they all pretty much fail for the same reason. They need a very careful, and precise balance, just to give any hope of working, when spun up. Usually the tools and materials used are the blame, as an excuse, and a plea for funding.

Gravity is effecting every part of your wheel, at the same time. Doesn't matter where you place the weights. You have 4 weights, but only on doing the work, to move the other 3, and the rest of the wheel. It's simply that you can't get more out, than you put into it. The best you can hope for, is that it spins an impressive while. Any load you add, to get meaningful work, will shorten the spin time, and you have to add more energy to keep it spinning.

Have considered, how many people devote their entire lives to physics, mechanics, machining? We have some very impressive tools. NASA has provided us with a lot of materials, not even dreamed of 50 years ago. We have computer programs to analyze pretty much anything, some even free to download. Whether some of these professionals, have the free energy bug, or just as a fun hobby, none have ever perfected any perpetual motion machine. Gravity wheels, are just one of many schemes, people have pursued, to get something, for nothing.

All you're stating is an opinion. And now you're faulting me for working through severe medical hardship? What happened to "there's always a work around"?
In the US, I am no one that matters. The 3rd Reich invaded Norway so maybe I'll invade Germany? Of course making a part of their history known and possibly working with them on some different things some might not say is an invasion. Since I'm not German it will be a 1 person invasion. Of course Professor Pöschl knows that I'd like scientists from 2 other countries to be involved.
And if it's done "my way" then I am an invading force.
Gotta have some fun in life, right?
11-04-2021 22:42
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
I've seen a lot of gravity wheel designs, and they all pretty much fail for the same reason. They need a very careful, and precise balance, just to give any hope of working, when spun up. Usually the tools and materials used are the blame, as an excuse, and a plea for funding.

Gravity is effecting every part of your wheel, at the same time. Doesn't matter where you place the weights. You have 4 weights, but only on doing the work, to move the other 3, and the rest of the wheel. It's simply that you can't get more out, than you put into it. The best you can hope for, is that it spins an impressive while. Any load you add, to get meaningful work, will shorten the spin time, and you have to add more energy to keep it spinning.

Have considered, how many people devote their entire lives to physics, mechanics, machining? We have some very impressive tools. NASA has provided us with a lot of materials, not even dreamed of 50 years ago. We have computer programs to analyze pretty much anything, some even free to download. Whether some of these professionals, have the free energy bug, or just as a fun hobby, none have ever perfected any perpetual motion machine. Gravity wheels, are just one of many schemes, people have pursued, to get something, for nothing.

All you're stating is an opinion. And now you're faulting me for working through severe medical hardship? What happened to "there's always a work around"?
In the US, I am no one that matters. The 3rd Reich invaded Norway so maybe I'll invade Germany? Of course making a part of their history known and possibly working with them on some different things some might not say is an invasion. Since I'm not German it will be a 1 person invasion. Of course Professor Pöschl knows that I'd like scientists from 2 other countries to be involved.

Nope, perpetual motion machine have interested me since I was very young. I've read quite a bit on the subject over the decades. Interesting obsession, and stories, but none have succeeded. Sort of like watching a magician perform. Part of the fun, is trying to figure out how the illusions are done.
11-04-2021 23:35
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Nope, perpetual motion machine have interested me since I was very young. I've read quite a bit on the subject over the decades. Interesting obsession, and stories, but none have succeeded. Sort of like watching a magician perform. Part of the fun, is trying to figure out how the illusions are done.

And I thought magic was when
-------....= cotØ
tanØ

if you don't get it, just multiply both the numerator and the denominator by the inverse of the denominator. Then the answer becomes obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMVjToYOjbM
Edited on 11-04-2021 23:38
13-04-2021 22:23
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
I started to install internal cladding. I am going to use the same boards as outside.

14-04-2021 19:53
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Xadoman wrote:
I started to install internal cladding. I am going to use the same boards as outside.

I bookmarked the website where you share your images from. I always have issues with the websites that I use.
With what you're doing, are you insulating or plan on having a source of heat? Granted maybe only necessary in the morning but if you install a magazine rack for your favorite periodicals, it might be a thought.
14-04-2021 20:25
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
James___ wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

I bookmarked the website where you share your images from. I always have issues with the websites that I use.
With what you're doing, are you insulating or plan on having a source of heat? Granted maybe only necessary in the morning but if you install a magazine rack for your favorite periodicals, it might be a thought.

No insulation. The little board of rigid foam seen on the picture is used when I sit on the small chair. It is still quite cold outside.
14-04-2021 22:01
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21612)
Xadoman wrote:
James___ wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

No insulation. The little board of rigid foam seen on the picture is used when I sit on the small chair. It is still quite cold outside.

Once you get the inner paneling put in, there IS a bit of insulation due to the trapped air between the panels in the wall. Not much, but it's there. Of course, that only make any kind of difference if there is some source of heat in the structure and the structure can be closed (like a door put in place, which I assume you will want for a bit of privacy anyway).

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 14-04-2021 22:03
15-04-2021 00:12
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Xadoman wrote:
James___ wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

If you have electricity to your facility, you might consider a heat lamp. Infrared is directional heat. Something like this would help to keep you warm without a heater. [url]https://www.qcsupply.com/260014-12-infrared-heavy-duty-hard-glass-heat-bulbs-175-watt.html [/url]
15-04-2021 00:16
(5197)
Considering his neighbor craps in the bushes... Guessing it would be 'that' cold, and not intend for a sleep over. If you are that drunk, comfort isn't going to matter that much anyway. (Kentucky guest house?)

What sort of flooring are you planning? Some sort of tile, probably most practical. Not everyone hits the target, then there is the bottle-flu season. Need to consider occasionally scrubbing it out good.
15-04-2021 09:11
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
I do not care about heat much because I have lived half of my life using a cold outhouse even in the winter with -30 dergrees celsius.
For flooring I planned to let it be plain concrete. A concrete guy who made the floor of my garage recommended some kind of product to use on the garage floor that leaves a nice shiny finish and makes concrete not to absorb oils etc.
15-04-2021 11:35
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
Then, you have friction, and a few other unavoidables.

This comment made me to want to share some pictures how important the friction could be in some cases to hold up structures. About 15 years ago I started to build a dry stacked fieldstone wall using the flat faced stones from the old collapsed fieldstone barn. My mistake at first was that I did not tapered the walls. I made them to be almost 90 degrees vertical. Later in the process I started to taper them because I was concerned about the stability of the walls. 15 years later, the first section of the wall is starting to collapse but I am amazed how the friction holds up the wall. Here are some pictures of the wall and the critical area:

Edited on 15-04-2021 11:41
15-04-2021 17:55
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Xadoman wrote:
I do not care about heat much because I have lived half of my life using a cold outhouse even in the winter with -30 dergrees celsius.
For flooring I planned to let it be plain concrete. A concrete guy who made the floor of my garage recommended some kind of product to use on the garage floor that leaves a nice shiny finish and makes concrete not to absorb oils etc.

How do you go skiing? The best snow is at about -4º C. I've been outside when it's cold and know that without the wind, it's easier to tolerate. Still, with a heat lamp, it only heats what it is pointed towards. This is here a solar panel and a battery might allow you to be a little more comfortable.
16-04-2021 09:05
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
James___ wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

How do you go skiing? The best snow is at about -4º C. I've been outside when it's cold and know that without the wind, it's easier to tolerate. Still, with a heat lamp, it only heats what it is pointed towards. This is here a solar panel and a battery might allow you to be a little more comfortable.

I do not remember when I last time went to skiing. I have a lake nearby and I like to skate but I also do not remember when I last time went to skating. I swim but only when the water is over 25+ degrees celsius. Unfortunately the summers have been quite cold lately and I can not swim as much as I would like to.

When it comes to solar panels and batteries I have made my desicion not to use them. I just in principle hate the solar scam. I have the electricity in the household so if needed I could just install a cable into the ground and electrify the outhouse without problems. The thing I worry the most is the ventilation. I am not sure how good the ventilation is going to be with an 8 inch pipe and a whirlybird. I also worrie about frost heave in winter and therefore I was looking for a way to shut down the ventilation in the winter because too much ventilation could suck the heat out of the pit and the frost could reach under the slab and cause a lot of trouble. Therefore for ventilation I ordered a chimney pipe that has a butterfly valve to shut down the air flow but I noticed that there still is a small gap in the valve to allow a little bit of air flow.

Those are the pipes( 20 cm or 8 inch diameter ) stainless steel :

This is the butterfly valve, notice the gap between the valve and pipe wall:

Edited on 16-04-2021 09:19
16-04-2021 17:25
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Xadoman wrote:
James___ wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

I do not remember when I last time went to skiing. I have a lake nearby and I like to skate but I also do not remember when I last time went to skating. I swim but only when the water is over 25+ degrees celsius. Unfortunately the summers have been quite cold lately and I can not swim as much as I would like to.

When it comes to solar panels and batteries I have made my desicion not to use them. I just in principle hate the solar scam. I have the electricity in the household so if needed I could just install a cable into the ground and electrify the outhouse without problems. The thing I worry the most is the ventilation. I am not sure how good the ventilation is going to be with an 8 inch pipe and a whirlybird. I also worrie about frost heave in winter and therefore I was looking for a way to shut down the ventilation in the winter because too much ventilation could suck the heat out of the pit and the frost could reach under the slab and cause a lot of trouble. Therefore for ventilation I ordered a chimney pipe that has a butterfly valve to shut down the air flow but I noticed that there still is a small gap in the valve to allow a little bit of air flow.

What might be a unique idea is to burn the methane as it's generated. A candle in the vent would work or a filament that has a small amount of current running through it. I think you know the second one, a thin wire placed across both the positive and negative battery posts will have it glowing red.
I think it would be difficult to accumulate enough methane for it to become explosive. And with either method, even if operated for only 30 minutes a day, that should be enough to burn off any undesirable fumes.
Of course if you had a timer, even a mechanical one, opening and closing the door could start it and then it could run for 10 or 15 minutes before stopping current to a filament. Then you wouldn't need to worry about it.
When I lived along the Columbia River in Washington state, in the summer I'd go swimming in water that was about 16º C. Maybe you meant outside temperature?
18-04-2021 20:40
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
I made the frame for the inside wall today. I will leave a little slot in the wall for stockpiling loo roll.

18-04-2021 23:45
(5197)
James___ wrote:
Xadoman wrote:
James___ wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

What might be a unique idea is to burn the methane as it's generated. A candle in the vent would work or a filament that has a small amount of current running through it. I think you know the second one, a thin wire placed across both the positive and negative battery posts will have it glowing red.
I think it would be difficult to accumulate enough methane for it to become explosive. And with either method, even if operated for only 30 minutes a day, that should be enough to burn off any undesirable fumes.
Of course if you had a timer, even a mechanical one, opening and closing the door could start it and then it could run for 10 or 15 minutes before stopping current to a filament. Then you wouldn't need to worry about it.
When I lived along the Columbia River in Washington state, in the summer I'd go swimming in water that was about 16º C. Maybe you meant outside temperature?

Why bother burning the methane? Either way, you a producing 'greenhouse' gasses... As a side-note, you would have to pass a hell of a lot of current, through Ni-chrome wire, to reach the flashpoint of methane. Been a long time since I took a look, but Ni-Chrome has a temperature limit, where it will melt, and break. Don't think it's used for gasses. Usually a high voltage arc...

Venting any gas, is probably the best option, since it would also carry out water vapor, and anything else you wouldn't want to accumulate. Heating the outhouse, would promote mold, mildew, and bacteria growth. Besides, if it's warm in there, other people would be in such a hurry to finish their 'business'. Maybe others, where a tree, just won't do it...
19-04-2021 16:16
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Xadoman wrote:
James___ wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

Why bother burning the methane? Either way, you a producing 'greenhouse' gasses... As a side-note, you would have to pass a hell of a lot of current, through Ni-chrome wire, to reach the flashpoint of methane. Been a long time since I took a look, but Ni-Chrome has a temperature limit, where it will melt, and break. Don't think it's used for gasses. Usually a high voltage arc...

Venting any gas, is probably the best option, since it would also carry out water vapor, and anything else you wouldn't want to accumulate. Heating the outhouse, would promote mold, mildew, and bacteria growth. Besides, if it's warm in there, other people would be in such a hurry to finish their 'business'. Maybe others, where a tree, just won't do it...

Candles burn methane and the flame of a candle is 1/2 of methane's burns at.
You're confusing when methane burns on its own. And a filament that is glowing red will be about the same temperature as a candle. Have to omit details because of your limited knowledge in both science and math.
19-04-2021 18:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
*forgot to put what in front of methane burns at,
18-06-2021 19:15
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
As many of you might already know, I started to invest heavily into cryptocurrencies and almost every free penny has been and also is going to be spent on buying the dip. Therefore things are going quite slow with the project at the moment. As suspected it is going to be a lot of trouble to find suitable pass-throughs for the ventilation pipes. I have already bought two type of pass-throughs and although on the pictures they look nice, the real life installation is not possible as shown on the pictures. I have contacted some guys who do the tinwork but everybody is very busy at the moment and simply have no time to do the work for me. So I can not finish the roof at the backside in the nearest future. I made some pictures today to show how the summer has taken over here.

19-06-2021 03:49
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
That is some serious vent pipes.Is that to a building code.In W.A. you can have 30 fixture units on a 50mm vent.Pans are 6 fixture units and a normal house will not go over 30 if it does you now go to a 80mm vent and can have 300 units
19-06-2021 07:09
(5197)
duncan61 wrote:
That is some serious vent pipes.Is that to a building code.In W.A. you can have 30 fixture units on a 50mm vent.Pans are 6 fixture units and a normal house will not go over 30 if it does you now go to a 80mm vent and can have 300 units

Little different for an outhouse... Hazardous fumes. Specially if there is a Taco Bell short drive down the road...
20-07-2021 20:02
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
Few pictures of the paint job. I chose greene as was planned.

20-07-2021 21:07
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Xadoman wrote:

You're definitely making progress!
22-07-2021 02:42
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Xadoman wrote:

Kind of has me thinking the South Pacific.
08-09-2021 21:03
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
Smallish update. Windows have arrived. Pipe flashings made of copper are placed . I also started to install trim for corners, doors etc. Here are some pictures:

The area around the flashing and the pipe is not waterproof. I need to figure out the way to seal it for good.
09-09-2021 17:10
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Maybe you could place rubber between the pipes and then place a hose clamp (painted of course) around the outer pipe? Then if need be, you could shred some rubber, mix with rubber cement and fill in the seam. It'd be like using saw dust and would glue to make your own filler.
Then you could put a bead of sealer around the top of the rubber and the inner pipe and coat the seam with it if you wanted to.
p.s., if you can't find rubber the right size then neoprene might be a thought.
Edited on 09-09-2021 17:11
09-09-2021 19:51
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
* wood glue and not would glue. It's a double entendre in a way. It has 2 means. It would be used as filler like wood glue. And if need be, permatex (https://www.permatex.com/product-category/adhesives-sealants/) or something like it could be used to coat where seams have been filled in.
Edited on 09-09-2021 19:52
14-09-2021 22:44
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
Some more pictures . The ridge tiles are placed. I also saw an animal nearby eating strawberry leaves.

15-09-2021 08:19
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
That building is over engineered for West Australian standards.We have what is described as a Mediterranean Climate here I assume you have snow and extreme weather to deal with.Here it never gets really cold and last year we had 3 days over 40.C.Sometimes we can have 10-15 days in a row over 40.C but its been a while.So much for warming.Love the bambi shots
01-10-2021 17:55
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
I just got one of the window placed. The trim is ready but needs painting. I took a couple of photos:

02-10-2021 23:55
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Are those double paned or? What you might consider is if you had a way to burn the methane then you could collect it to preheat your humble commode. With English, it's "your humble abode" so is a play on words.
03-10-2021 10:38
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
Are those double paned or?

I think they are. I chose the cheapest option available, they were advertised as suitable for summer houses. I went for wood framed windows. I have nothing against plastic windows but I chose wood because they can be repainted and also in overall I tend to go with more natural materials.
03-10-2021 15:58
(5197)
James___ wrote:
Are those double paned or? What you might consider is if you had a way to burn the methane then you could collect it to preheat your humble commode. With English, it's "your humble abode" so is a play on words.

You already made the methane proposal earlier in the thread... What makes you think a sufficient volume of methane is going to be produced regularly, to do usable work when burned? That much methane would mean a horrible odor, which wouldn't make a warmer outhouse any more enjoyable, even heated. The collection and storage, is a whole project in itself. Burning would produce carbon monoxide, not healthy, and need to be done externally.
03-10-2021 19:38
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21612)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

You already made the methane proposal earlier in the thread... What makes you think a sufficient volume of methane is going to be produced regularly, to do usable work when burned? That much methane would mean a horrible odor, which wouldn't make a warmer outhouse any more enjoyable, even heated. The collection and storage, is a whole project in itself. Burning would produce carbon monoxide, not healthy, and need to be done externally.

He's going to eat a lot of beans.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
04-10-2021 20:19
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
I placed the window trim today. Now it is time to move on to the second window.
04-10-2021 22:50
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

Burning would produce carbon monoxide, not healthy, and need to be done externally.

How would it produce CO? And with how well constructed it is, he might consider a propane heater later on. After all, it'd only need to be heated in the morning for maybe an hour. I mean at least get the temperature up to 10º. And with you Harvey, you're probably thinking Fahrenheit, right?
An FYI, methane is supposed to be worse than CO2 (carbon dioxide, di is Greek for 2 like with diprotodon (where wombats and koalas came from)) while CO
(carbon monoxide, mono means 1 while while an oxide means that oxygen has bonded with that element) is a poisonous gas. Maybe you can remember that as well?
05-10-2021 03:55
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
@Harvey, what Xadoman might consider is if he has friends or other people who visit him. People who are used to modern living might like that. Might make them thankful for running water. At the same time, just because heat is available doesn't mean Xadoman has to use it. The cold might not bother him but it might be something his friends or guests might find uncomfortable.
06-10-2021 05:01
(5197)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

Burning would produce carbon monoxide, not healthy, and need to be done externally.

How would it produce CO? And with how well constructed it is, he might consider a propane heater later on. After all, it'd only need to be heated in the morning for maybe an hour. I mean at least get the temperature up to 10º. And with you Harvey, you're probably thinking Fahrenheit, right?
An FYI, methane is supposed to be worse than CO2 (carbon dioxide, di is Greek for 2 like with diprotodon (where wombats and koalas came from)) while CO
(carbon monoxide, mono means 1 while while an oxide means that oxygen has bonded with that element) is a poisonous gas. Maybe you can remember that as well?

Why don't you calculate the volume of methane that would be required to heat the outhouse? The project specifications are well defined throughout this thread. You magical math powers should have no trouble crunching it down, to the realization that not enough methane willl be generated for any meaningful work.

Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of burning most anything. It accumulates in the body, takes days to leave. We all breath it, just not enough to cause trouble. In the outhouse, you would need to keep the combustion external, or you would be venting the heated air, with the gases. Not really accomplishing the goal, of warming.

The outhouse will already 'feel' warmer, since the walls block the outside air from circulating. Better than just digging a hole, and squatting in the woods...
06-10-2021 05:21
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

Why don't you calculate the volume of methane that would be required to heat the outhouse? The project specifications are well defined throughout this thread. You magical math powers should have no trouble crunching it down, to the realization that not enough methane willl be generated for any meaningful work.

Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of burning most anything. It accumulates in the body, takes days to leave. We all breath it, just not enough to cause trouble. In the outhouse, you would need to keep the combustion external, or you would be venting the heated air, with the gases. Not really accomplishing the goal, of warming.

The outhouse will already 'feel' warmer, since the walls block the outside air from circulating. Better than just digging a hole, and squatting in the woods...

It's more about if he has friends, guests or people he works with visits him. Propane heat might make everything a unique experience for them. And then if they freeze their butts off, it might be an experience they'd like to forget and him along with it.
That's kind of how business and networking works in some countries. Kind of like this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3FZLTpJREY
07-10-2021 03:59
(5197)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

It's more about if he has friends, guests or people he works with visits him. Propane heat might make everything a unique experience for them. And then if they freeze their butts off, it might be an experience they'd like to forget and him along with it.
That's kind of how business and networking works in some countries. Kind of like this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3FZLTpJREY

If I remember correctly, it's a vacation property... There is an assumption of 'roughing it', with a cabin in the woods. His neighbors crap in a hole they dig... If modern comforts were the goal of the project, he would have run water and electrical. It's a crap-shack, not a jack-shack, maybe you forgot, since you crap in a sack...
Page 11 of 12<<<9101112>

Join the debate Septic tanks and water pollution:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Lake Mead water level is still rising in August, when it is ALWAYS falling. So snow melt is not the 15516-09-2023 13:46
Scientists say Florida Keys coral reefs are already bleaching as water temperatures hit record highs1429-07-2023 20:14
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
Lake Mead Water Levels Stage A Comeback?431-05-2023 23:03
LOL, California has way way way too much water at this point1702-05-2023 20:59
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact