Remember me
▼ Content

upper atmosphere temp

Page 2 of 6<1234>>>
19-09-2023 15:34
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Xadoman wrote:
American geobiologist J.L. Kirschvink suggesting that Earth's oceans and land surfaces were covered by ice from the poles to the Equator during at least two extreme cooling events between 2.4 billion and 580 million years ago.

This guy has a great fantasy, nothing more. Earth was a giant fireball billions of years ago not a giant snowball.

The evidence for this hypothesis is found in old rocks that preserved signs of Earth's ancient magnetic field

What kind of influence the magnetic field has on earth s temperature? I do not see the connection.

Measurements of these rocks indicate that rocks known to be associated with the presence of ice were formed near the Equator.

Are not you aware of continental drift? Even a millimeter per year makes a big difference over billions of years.
Start using your 130 iq instead of being a mainstream brainwashed lamb.

Actually Earth was first a loose collection of interstellar debris at the temp of space, and clearly the Earth has been warming for the last 22,000 years as thousands of miles of glaciation has melted. Your argument is like saying that since the big bang happened that a big crunch will happen once the bangs energy dissipates, yet the expansion is speeding not slowing. Furthermore, if the Earth were to move closer to the sun the increased gravity could remelt the entire planet, including your pez collection.

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
19-09-2023 16:29
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
You've been bent over furniture and had too much baloney reamed into you.

Well now this in an interesting "position".
Is this process aided by some type of auger system? Could it be solar powered? Maybe an updated graphic for us would be helpful if you can find some spare time?

Let's see, a solar-powered rotary disinformation reamer with matching credenza. Would it logically come with Everest or Rhino ratchet tie-down straps?

I feel like they should be rebranded Greene and Penrose tie-downs for superior credibility.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
Edited on 19-09-2023 16:30
19-09-2023 16:59
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14441)
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Is this process aided by some type of auger system? Could it be solar powered? Maybe an updated graphic for us would be helpful if you can find some spare time?

Let's see, a solar-powered rotary disinformation reamer with matching credenza. Would it logically come with Everest or Rhino ratchet tie-down straps?

I feel like they should be rebranded Greene and Penrose tie-downs for superior credibility.

I'm beginning to think you're just trying to "string" me along, but your comments are just going into the "black hole" of dismissed ideas.
19-09-2023 20:31
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I'm beginning to think you're just trying to "string" me along, but your comments are just going into the "black hole" of dismissed ideas.

Says the idiot who denies the last ice age

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

20-09-2023 09:11
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
[url]Actually Earth was first a loose collection of interstellar debris at the temp of space[/url]

I am sorry but :

Gravitational collapse of a gas is just another way of saying that a gas compresses itself, in violation of the laws of thermodynamics and the kinetic theory. A gas can never compress itself. Compression of a gas requires an external agent and a container. In the absence of containment of some kind a gas always expands.
- Stephen Crothers
20-09-2023 18:37
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
Xado,
Planetary formation and star formation is extremely complicated and i don't pretend to understand it. The theories of these and their interpretations are constantly changing.
Nevertheless, stars are made of gas and this gas did manage to clump together.
The planets started out as gas and dust and also managed to clump together.

If you have a valid interpretation of solar and planetary formation, go ahead and present it to the Nobel prize committee, and don't forget to compensate me for encouraging you to receive the prize money.
Edited on 20-09-2023 18:45
20-09-2023 19:21
(14441)
keepit wrote: Planetary formation and star formation is extremely complicated and i don't pretend to understand it.

Just so we are all clear, you are publicly professing to be too stupid to understand gravity.

So why do you question others who know so much more than you do? Why do you follow up statements like this with pretense that you are a science genius?

keepit wrote: The theories of these and their interpretations are constantly changing.

Are they? Is there even any "interpretation" in science? If I were to ask you to list your favorite three falsifiable "planet formation" theories that have changed several times, would you be able to do it or are you just boooolsch'tting right now because you are desperate for attention, any kind of attention?

keepit wrote: If you have a valid interpretation of solar and planetary formation, go ahead and present it to the Nobel prize committee, and don't forget to compensate me for encouraging you to receive the prize money.

A valid interpretation? Yep, you are still as stupid as ever.
20-09-2023 19:25
(14441)
Xadoman wrote:
[url]Actually Earth was first a loose collection of interstellar debris at the temp of space[/url]

I am sorry but :

Gravitational collapse of a gas is just another way of saying that a gas compresses itself, in violation of the laws of thermodynamics and the kinetic theory. A gas can never compress itself. Compression of a gas requires an external agent and a container. In the absence of containment of some kind a gas always expands.
- Stephen Crothers

Xadoman, if you had told me up front that you were planning on denying the FORCE of gravity, I would have had some jokes ready. As it is, you caught me off guard and unprepared.

When should I expect to float away into space?
20-09-2023 19:39
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21624)
keepit wrote:
I saw some female german physicist talking about climate change. By the way, i've seen her on the same stage with Roger Penrose and Brian Greene.
Anyway, she was making the point that the temp difference between the upper atmosphere and lower atmosphere tells us whether or not climate change is being caused by variations in the suns's output. She said that since upper atmospheric temp is going up, that means that the increased temperature at earth's surface isn't due to solar variations.

It is not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth's surface or the temperature of the entire upper atmosphere.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
20-09-2023 19:41
(21624)
keepit wrote:
Gas,
First, she offers a lot of physics. That's her job.
As far as credibility, the thing that impressed me was that someone chose her to appear on stage with heavyweights like Brian Greene and Roger Penrose. Those are world class physicists. Also, and there are many alsos, they and she communicated in a sensible manner (no name calling, for example). Credentials matter you know.
What credentials do ibd and itn have?

Physics is not a job.
Science is not credentials or certifications or licensing or any other sanctification.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
20-09-2023 19:42
(21624)
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Gas,
First, she offers a lot of physics. That's her job. As far as credibility, the thing that impressed me was that someone chose her to appear on stage with heavyweights like Brian Greene and Roger Penrose. Those are world class physicists. Also, and there are many alsos, they and she communicated in a sensible manner (no name calling, for example). Credentials matter you know.

No physicist can prove that the universe even exists much less articulate the cause of climate change.

The universe exists. Proof by identity.

Climate cannot change.

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2023 19:51
(21624)
keepit wrote:
Gas, Her name is Sabine Hossenfelder. You can google here for yourself. Also, she has done many presentations on youtube where she spends almost all her time presenting physics principles. There are many other such awesome physicists.

Oh. Her again. No, she is DENYING physics. She is DENYING the 2nd law of thermodynamics. You cannot decrease entropy...EVER.

She is also DENYING the Stefan-Boltzmann law. ALL materials convert thermal energy to light, including CO2 and methane.

You cannot heat the surface of the Earth using a colder gas.

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2023 19:54
(21624)
keepit wrote:
More trash talk ibd. Not a word of science in it.

He is asking for YOUR science, retard.

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2023 19:55
(21624)
keepit wrote:
Gas, If you want to try to understand greenhouse better, go to sabine hossenfldder 's article about "i misunderstood the greenhouse, here's how it works."

Nope. It cannot work that way. The 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law get in the way.

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2023 19:59
(21624)
keepit wrote:
She has credentials. And clearly she is sincere in her work. She interacts on the science stage in a constructive manner, etc.

I've never heard an ounce of trash talk from her.

By the way, for Gas, personally, i don't consider disputing someone's interpretations of physics to be "bashing". Name calling and false accusations can easily be seen as bashng.

Credentials mean NOTHING in science.
Sincerity means NOTHING in science.
Speaking talent means NOTHING in science.
Physics is NOT 'interpreted'.

She is DENYING the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

You cannot decrease entropy...ever.
You cannot trap heat.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy. There is always heat.
You cannot heat a warmer surface using a colder gas.

You cannot do it. It doesn't matter what credentials you have, how sincere you are, how well you speak or write, or what your 'job' is.

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2023 20:01
(21624)
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
She has credentials. And clearly she is sincere in her work. She interacts on the science stage in a constructive manner, etc.

I've never heard an ounce of trash talk from her.

By the way, for Gas, personally, i don't consider disputing someone's interpretations of physics to be "bashing". Name calling and false accusations can easily be seen as bashng.

Physics is math and math is not subject to interpretation, except where math fails and all that remains is interpretive theory, which is not executable mathematics nor physics. Not that you can ever grasp reality

Physics is a branch of science, not mathematics.

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2023 20:03
(21624)
Xadoman wrote:
She said that since upper atmospheric temp is going up, that means that the increased temperature at earth's surface isn't due to solar variations.

The earth has been cooling down since the beginning of the earth. The inner core cools down and with it the whole earth is cooling down. The sun adds its energy on the surface.
According to Boltzmann s law the earth should be a giant ice ball. There is not enough energy from the sun to keep the earth as it now. Fortunately the giant and very hot inner core keeps us warm.

Here is the picture from wiki. Do not you agree how silly is to ignore this giant oven inside the earth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_inner_core#/media/File:Earth_poster.svg

The greenhouse gas scam is obviously false physics. Greenhouse gases can not produce energy on their own. The inner core however produces enourmous amount of energy which keeps us warm and cozy on this planet.

Do not belive anything that mainstream media is telling to you. They only want to pump money out of you. They invent new scams to keep the money streaming into their pockets. Everything they push at you is most probably a scam.

Nothing about the Stefan-Boltzmann law calculates temperature, dumbass.
It does not say Earth should be a giant iceball.

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2023 20:04
(21624)
Swan wrote:
Xadoman wrote:
She said that since upper atmospheric temp is going up, that means that the increased temperature at earth's surface isn't due to solar variations.

The earth has been cooling down since the beginning of the earth. The inner core cools down and with it the whole earth is cooling down. The sun adds its energy on the surface.
According to Boltzmann s law the earth should be a giant ice ball. There is not enough energy from the sun to keep the earth as it now. Fortunately the giant and very hot inner core keeps us warm.

Here is the picture from wiki. Do not you agree how silly is to ignore this giant oven inside the earth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_inner_core#/media/File:Earth_poster.svg

The greenhouse gas scam is obviously false physics. Greenhouse gases can not produce energy on their own. The inner core however produces enourmous amount of energy which keeps us warm and cozy on this planet.

Do not belive anything that mainstream media is telling to you. They only want to pump money out of you. They invent new scams to keep the money streaming into their pockets. Everything they push at you is most probably a scam.

Actually the Earth has been warming for the last 22,000 years, whether you have the balls to respond or not. Furthermore if Hossenfooler does not know this she is wrong, physics degree or not

And you were there to measure it 22,000 years ago.

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2023 20:06
(21624)
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
There's a misunderstanding here.
The global warming that is concerning is the near term global warming. Even though there may be cooling in the more distant future, the near term is what we need to deal with.

Actually 22,000 years is near term in Earth years of which there are 5 billion years total.

You have already stated your religious beliefs here, Sock.

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2023 20:08
(21624)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Says the idiot who denies the last ice age

What 'ice age'?

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2023 20:10
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Gas,
First, she offers a lot of physics. That's her job. As far as credibility, the thing that impressed me was that someone chose her to appear on stage with heavyweights like Brian Greene and Roger Penrose. Those are world class physicists. Also, and there are many alsos, they and she communicated in a sensible manner (no name calling, for example). Credentials matter you know.

No physicist can prove that the universe even exists much less articulate the cause of climate change.

Climate cannot change.

Using the current understanding of gravity, the universe cannot be doing what it is doing, not that I expect you to understand either Newtons gravitational constant and or why it fails without 85% more matter and energy that is needed for the universal expansion as observed. You just keep stocking up on cheap bud light.

ULTRA MAGA

20-09-2023 20:27
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
Swan,
Are you talking about dark energy and the expansion of the universe or are you talking about dark matter and the formation of galaxies. or both?
Edited on 20-09-2023 20:45
20-09-2023 21:06
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
keepit wrote:
Swan,
Are talking about dark energy and the expansion of the universe or are you talking about dark matter and the formation of galaxies. or both?

Dark matter and energy are merely theoretical mathematical solutions to Newtons failed theory of gravity which predicts a big crunch as a consequence of when the big bang runs out of energy, yet current observations clearly show an increased expansion rate. As a consequence, reality is actually in question which has spawned the simulation theory since literally nothing is proofed

Say hi to the professor for me.

ULTRA MAGA

21-09-2023 01:22
(21624)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Gas,

Climate cannot change.

Using the current understanding of gravity, the universe cannot be doing what it is doing, not that I expect you to understand either Newtons gravitational constant and or why it fails without 85% more matter and energy that is needed for the universal expansion as observed. You just keep stocking up on cheap bud light.

What do you think the universe is doing?

The Parrot Killer

21-09-2023 03:11
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Gas,

Climate cannot change.

I know that, observations show that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, such that the velocity at which a distant galaxy recedes from the observer is continuously increasing with time. I also know that no one knows why this is happening, and that if the big bang were responsible for acceleration that such acceleration would be decreasing and not increasing, so to fill the void dark matter and energy were created to fix gravitational theory. Which is like saying that 2+2=0.6+1.4 of dark matter and energy, that may or may not be real

ULTRA MAGA

21-09-2023 05:34
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Gas,

Climate cannot change.

I know that, observations show that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, such that the velocity at which a distant galaxy recedes from the observer is continuously increasing with time. I also know that no one knows why this is happening, and that if the big bang were responsible for acceleration that such acceleration would be decreasing and not increasing, so to fill the void dark matter and energy were created to fix gravitational theory. Which is like saying that 2+2=0.6+1.4 of dark matter and energy, that may or may not be real

Everything in physics is relative. PV = KE = 3/2kT is right.
21-09-2023 05:51
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Gas,

Climate cannot change.

Everything in physics is relative. PV = KE = 3/2kT is right.

Please describe everything?

ULTRA MAGA

21-09-2023 05:52
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Gas,

Climate cannot change.

Are you saying, along with every other theoretical physicist, that because galaxies are getting dimmer over time when observed by a telescope, that means they're getting farther away; and because they're getting farther away, that means the universe is expanding?

21-09-2023 13:24
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Gas,

Climate cannot change.

Are you saying, along with every other theoretical physicist, that because galaxies are getting dimmer over time when observed by a telescope, that means they're getting farther away; and because they're getting farther away, that means the universe is expanding?

What I am saying is that as Galaxies get farther away that their speed in increasing, instead of waning and that the big bang theory has no method to produce the increasing expansion speeds that are observed which are multiple times the speed of light for entire galaxies. The big bang is also not certain as if it happened there would be a zero or genesis point, surrounded by a 14 billion year old void now composed of empty space surrounded by an outwardly expanding shell of matter. If this were found it would complement the CMB instead of compounding the problem. The lack of mathematical proofing on the universe has led adults who are physicist to babble that the universe is not even there but simulated as are we and everything in the universe, which is merely a scientific method for theoretical physicist to admit the need for God in science as all simulations need a creator.

Which reduces to, in God we trust.

ULTRA MAGA

21-09-2023 15:54
hayden jordan
☆☆☆☆☆
(13)
you know i never understood why people feel the need for religion. I agree that there are holes in science and we want to understand all we can but religion seems unrealistic. it all seems too good to be true.
21-09-2023 15:57
(1643)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

What I am saying is that as Galaxies get farther away that their speed in increasing, instead of waning and that the big bang theory has no method to produce the increasing expansion speeds that are observed which are multiple times the speed of light for entire galaxies. The big bang is also not certain as if it happened there would be a zero or genesis point, surrounded by a 14 billion year old void now composed of empty space surrounded by an outwardly expanding shell of matter. If this were found it would complement the CMB instead of compounding the problem. The lack of mathematical proofing on the universe has led adults who are physicist to babble that the universe is not even there but simulated as are we and everything in the universe, which is merely a scientific method for theoretical physicist to admit the need for God in science as all simulations need a creator.

I was asking how they know galaxies are getting further away. Is it because they are appearing dimmer and dimmer when viewed through a telescope over time?

21-09-2023 17:46
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
Re: Dark energy and Dark matter. Actually the expansion isn't accelerating. It's slowing imho. From a given point of view it is accelerating but considering all points of view it isn't. I know, i know, how do you consider all points of view? Nevertheless, the Friedman equation supports the notion of slowing. You can consider it by knowing that the Hubble constant is decreasing.
What happens is that there are extra dimensions which unpack themselves into our measurements of space when and where there is a sparse gravitational field.
We call this expansion of space.
Wouldn't you know it, almost noone believes me!
Edited on 21-09-2023 18:30
21-09-2023 17:59
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
hayden jordan wrote:
you know i never understood why people feel the need for religion. I agree that there are holes in science and we want to understand all we can but religion seems unrealistic. it all seems too good to be true.

God is a fully scientific need unless you believe that nothing just up and wrote DNA one day because nothing got tired of being nothing and decided to write molecular code.

ULTRA MAGA

21-09-2023 18:00
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

I was asking how they know galaxies are getting further away. Is it because they are appearing dimmer and dimmer when viewed through a telescope over time?

Google red shift

ULTRA MAGA

21-09-2023 18:10
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
keepit wrote:
Re: Dark energy and Dark matter. Actually the expansion isn't accelerating. It's slowing imoh. From a given point of view it is slowing but considering all points of view it isn't. I know, i know, how do you consider all points of view? Nevertheless, the Friedman equation supports the notion of slowing. You can consider it by knowing that the Hubble constant is decreasing.
What happens is that there are extra dimensions which unpack themselves into our measurements of space when and where there is a sparse gravitational field.
We call this expansion of space.
Wouldn't you know it, almost noone believes me!

LOL you are clueless as Hubble discovered the expansion and forced Einstein to retract his static universe theory. The further discovery of CMB radiation at Holmdel NJ further supported the big bang. Space cannot expand as it is the already existing area in which matter expands into, so the universe is expanding into already existing space.

Evidence against the big bang. The big bang theory states clearly that all the mass of the universe was once at a single infinitesimal point. LOL, this would mean that the Earth was once compacted into the area of one trillionth of a trillionth of a Hydrogen atom.

OK mr mrs physicist if you say so, tell me that and I will believe, but at this point when you consider the babbling God really begins to become a need

ULTRA MAGA

21-09-2023 18:31
(1643)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Google red shift

It means the light is getting dimmer. So your answer to my question is yes.

21-09-2023 19:08
(14441)
Swan wrote: Dark matter and energy are merely theoretical mathematical solutions to Newtons failed theory of gravity which predicts a big crunch as a consequence of when the big bang runs out of energy, yet current observations clearly show an increased expansion rate.

Wow, so much to unpack in one sentence.

A. No, there is no set of observations that somehow "clearly shows" accelerating expansion.
B. Yes, "dark matter" is just a theoretical contrivance to explain something that is only occurring in the delusions of people like Swan.
C. Newton's theory of gravity is still valid and works like a charm.
D. Newton's theory of gravity does not make any predictions about the universe.
E. You are confusing Newton's law of gravity with Hawking's properties of an expanding universe, and you got it backwards; Hawking predicts an outward expansion that ends in a heat death.
F. There is no such thing as a Big Bang that has a quantity of energy that is running out.

Swan, I really think that if you had tried just a little harder, that you could have squeezed at least two, maybe three more misconceptions into that sentence without disrupting your artistic flow any.

Swan wrote: As a consequence, reality is actually in question which has spawned the simulation theory since literally nothing is proofed

Now this shows true talent. I can see that you put a lot of work into this. It is completely indistinguishable from a truly random set of words. I bet your sentence passes the spectral test.

Very well done!
21-09-2023 19:10
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Google red shift

LOL the fact that the light of receding galaxies is getting dimmer was never in question, so you are claiming to have discovered something that every sane 3 year old already knows. The interesting factor is that the speed of the receding galaxies is increasing without any known force applying the needed force to accelerate the mass.

ULTRA MAGA

21-09-2023 20:22
(14441)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:I was asking how they know galaxies are getting further away. Is it because they are appearing dimmer and dimmer when viewed through a telescope over time?
Google red shift

No. The answer to your question is not "Yes" but is actually rather complicated because it is laden with assumptions that not everybody shares.

Before you address the topic of "how do we know that galaxies are getting further away," you need to check your own religious views and be careful not to let people like Swan, or me, or anyone feed you conclusions under the pretense that they are somehow "observations." You must remember that all of humanity is stuck on planet earth and we simply can't see any more than a negligible portion of a mere flake of a tiny speck of an inconsequential amount of the universe. To say that our observations are "limited" is an understatement.

What we can observe is that there are countless galaxies, each seemingly filled with countless stars. Again, we might be overwhelmed at the countlessness of the celestial bodies we observe, but it would be stupid to presume that what we see is anything more than an insignificant portion of the universe, leaving us to extrapolate the rest.

Focusing on what we can observe, all of it is moving away from everything else in the following way: Grab an uninflated balloon and a Sharpie. Place a handful of dots on the balloon (as "randomly" as you can) and then inflate the balloon. As the balloon is inflating, notice what is happening to the dots. Every dot gets further and further away from every other dot.

Additionally, for indisputable confirmation, any observer can check the "red shift" as Swan suggested above. Your first step should be to perform some quick research into "Doppler effect" and understand the basic principle as it affects sound waves. Once you feel that you have a firm grasp on Doppler effect, research "red shift" and "blue shift." The effects on sound waves apply to all waves, including light waves. Red shift confirms that something is moving away from the observer. If you were to get the right observation equipment, you would be able to see that every single galaxy that we can observe is moving away from us. Not a single one of the countless galaxies is moving towards us.

You will find many people who will tell you that "The expansion is accelerating" and "the acceleration is worse than previously feared" which of course requires/calls for "explanations" which cause every wacko and his brother to invent wild theories of science fiction such as "dark matter." I would warn you that human egos normally take over and presume that the insignificant set of our observations is nonetheless the entirety of the universe, so you will be told, as a matter of fact, that the entire universe has been observed to be expanding at an accelerating rate ... and that crosses the line into being booolsch't, i.e. nothing more than bogus conclusions being pawned off as observations. All anyone can legitimately say is that whatever humans can observe is moving away, just as if everything is on an inflating balloon ... and no, it's not "accelerating."

At this point, I would recommend you get Into the Night's view. His views on the universe differ from mine, but neither of us appreciate the pretenders of the world passing their own personal cosmic religions off as "observations."

If you like to read, I recommend Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" as a good explanation of astrophysics concepts that would greatly benefit your understanding.
21-09-2023 20:29
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:I was asking how they know galaxies are getting further away. Is it because they are appearing dimmer and dimmer when viewed through a telescope over time?
Google red shift

No. The answer to your question is not "Yes" but is actually rather complicated because it is laden with assumptions that not everybody shares.

Before you address the topic of "how do we know that galaxies are getting further away," you need to check your own religious views and be careful not to let people like Swan, or me, or anyone feed you conclusions under the pretense that they are somehow "observations." You must remember that all of humanity is stuck on planet earth and we simply can't see any more than a negligible portion of a mere flake of a tiny speck of an inconsequential amount of the universe. To say that our observations are "limited" is an understatement.

What we can observe is that there are countless galaxies, each seemingly filled with countless stars. Again, we might be overwhelmed at the countlessness of the celestial bodies we observe, but it would be stupid to presume that what we see is anything more than an insignificant portion of the universe, leaving us to extrapolate the rest.

Focusing on what we can observe, all of it is moving away from everything else in the following way: Grab an uninflated balloon and a Sharpie. Place a handful of dots on the balloon (as "randomly" as you can) and then inflate the balloon. As the balloon is inflating, notice what is happening to the dots. Every dot gets further and further away from every other dot.

Additionally, for indisputable confirmation, any observer can check the "red shift" as Swan suggested above. Your first step should be to perform some quick research into "Doppler effect" and understand the basic principle as it affects sound waves. Once you feel that you have a firm grasp on Doppler effect, research "red shift" and "blue shift." The effects on sound waves apply to all waves, including light waves. Red shift confirms that something is moving away from the observer. If you were to get the right observation equipment, you would be able to see that every single galaxy that we can observe is moving away from us. Not a single one of the countless galaxies is moving towards us.

You will find many people who will tell you that "The expansion is accelerating" and "the acceleration is worse than previously feared" which of course requires/calls for "explanations" which cause every wacko and his brother to invent wild theories of science fiction such as "dark matter." I would warn you that human egos normally take over and presume that the insignificant set of our observations is nonetheless the entirety of the universe, so you will be told, as a matter of fact, that the entire universe has been observed to be expanding at an accelerating rate ... and that crosses the line into being booolsch't, i.e. nothing more than bogus conclusions being pawned off as observations. All anyone can legitimately say is that whatever humans can observe is moving away, just as if everything is on an inflating balloon ... and no, it's not "accelerating."

At this point, I would recommend you get Into the Night's view. His views on the universe differ from mine, but neither of us appreciate the pretenders of the world passing their own personal cosmic religions off as "observations."

If you like to read, I recommend Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" as a good explanation of astrophysics concepts that would greatly benefit your understanding.

LOL, what you should do is submit that to the journal of applied schizophrenia for publication and queer review.

LOL a brief history of time is a golden book for fools and three year olds. I would recommend puss in boots

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 21-09-2023 20:39
Page 2 of 6<1234>>>

Join the debate upper atmosphere temp:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Layers of the Atmosphere as Viewed in Blue2227-01-2024 23:16
Quantum computer startup SEEQC unveils digital chip that operates at super cold temp3931-03-2023 19:52
ppm CO2 in atmosphere3312-03-2021 02:47
The Atmosphere and Heat13617-02-2021 17:32
Atmosphere4707-09-2020 19:50
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact