Remember me
▼ Content

The Modern Power Grid and Energy Distribution System

Page 1 of 212>
The Modern Power Grid and Energy Distribution System03-11-2021 02:06
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
This all starts back in the 1880's with Nikola Tesla. As we know today, generating energy isn't the problem, transmitting it is. Why D.C. energy is used in poor countries and usually at 50 Hz. Just basic info.
As Harvey mentioned, only 1/2 of the planet is exposed to the Sun at any given moment. This influences wind turbines as well as solar energy. At the same time, power plants fired by fossil fuels have to run at night when there is little demand.
You simply can't shut down a power plant in the evening and then turn it on when demand increases. The purpose of this thread will be to consider the demands placed on a power grid and not how that energy is created. This will simply have nothing to do with global warming but only about what demands are placed on a power distribution system and how it can meet those demands.
And this has nothing to do with politics or beliefs, it is only about what a power grid requires to meet the demands of its customers.
03-11-2021 02:37
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
James___ wrote:
This all starts back in the 1880's with Nikola Tesla. As we know today, generating energy isn't the problem, transmitting it is. Why D.C. energy is used in poor countries and usually at 50 Hz. Just basic info.
As Harvey mentioned, only 1/2 of the planet is exposed to the Sun at any given moment. This influences wind turbines as well as solar energy. At the same time, power plants fired by fossil fuels have to run at night when there is little demand.
You simply can't shut down a power plant in the evening and then turn it on when demand increases. The purpose of this thread will be to consider the demands placed on a power grid and not how that energy is created. This will simply have nothing to do with global warming but only about what demands are placed on a power distribution system and how it can meet those demands.
And this has nothing to do with politics or beliefs, it is only about what a power grid requires to meet the demands of its customers.

D.C. isn't 50 Hz, or anything else. It's Direct Current. Other countries adopted 50 Hz to dodge patents, and licensing fees. We don't use a D.C. electrical grid, do to losses over long wires. Need a generating plant every couple miles.

Yes, they do switch generators on and off, on demand. Fuel cost money. Why burn fuel, if you aren't selling the product? Surplus production isn't stored.
03-11-2021 02:51
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

D.C. isn't 50 Hz, or anything else. It's Direct Current. Other countries adopted 50 Hz to dodge patents, and licensing fees. We don't use a D.C. electrical grid, do to losses over long wires. Need a generating plant every couple miles.

Yes, they do switch generators on and off, on demand. Fuel cost money. Why burn fuel, if you aren't selling the product? Surplus production isn't stored.

Harvey, I was trying to be nice and you missed it. Energy can be stored in either flywheels or batteries.
Because I worked in an engine room, our steam driven generators were warmed up. It took time just as it did bringing a boiler online to supply the steam for it. I have literal experience with this because in the U.S. Navy it was a part of my job.
The engine room I worked in (1 of 4) propelled the ship across oceans, helped to desalinate sea water and provided electricity.
We also launched aircraft about 20 hours a day at sea. Couldn't port if the required TOLs (take off and landings) weren't met. Systems have demands and requirements. It's not personal Harvey. The U.S. Navy never married anyone. It's the Navy. You serve and its ships do what they do.
03-11-2021 02:59
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
You can't win this Harvey. I learned a lot and became aware of a lot while serving in the U.S. Navy.
Don't tell me that was a mistake. And you are very seriously going there. Please don't.
03-11-2021 03:21
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
James___ wrote:

DC has no frequency.
James___ wrote:

Fossils don't burn. We don't use them for fuel.
James___ wrote:
You simply can't shut down a power plant in the evening and then turn it on when demand increases.

Sure you can. It's done regularly.
James___ wrote:
The purpose of this thread will be to consider the demands placed on a power grid and not how that energy is created. This will simply have nothing to do with global warming but only about what demands are placed on a power distribution system and how it can meet those demands.

A grid without power plants is just dead wires.
James___ wrote:

Power plants, transformers, switches, fuses, capacitors, insulation, and a bunch of people to put it together and maintain it.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
03-11-2021 03:23
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

Supplying power when it's not needed will cause an overvoltage and damage. Power plants adjust their power output every second of every day, even shutting off completely when not needed.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
03-11-2021 03:28
(21599)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

Harvey, I was trying to be nice and you missed it. Energy can be stored in either flywheels or batteries.

Not enough. Batteries must be charged. They can only charge or discharge DC.
Flywheels are not enough. The demands of the grid are far larger than what flywheels can store.
James___ wrote:
Because I worked in an engine room, our steam driven generators were warmed up. It took time just as it did bringing a boiler online to supply the steam for it. I have literal experience with this because in the U.S. Navy it was a part of my job.

I don't believe you. U.S. Navy ships do not use steam to power generators.
James___ wrote:
The engine room I worked in (1 of 4) propelled the ship across oceans, helped to desalinate sea water and provided electricity.

I don't believe you ever worked in any engine room at sea.
James___ wrote:
We also launched aircraft about 20 hours a day at sea. Couldn't port if the required TOLs (take off and landings) weren't met. Systems have demands and requirements. It's not personal Harvey. The U.S. Navy never married anyone. It's the Navy. You serve and its ships do what they do.

They can return to port any time the captain decides to do so.

The Parrot Killer

03-11-2021 03:29
(21599)
James___ wrote:
You can't win this Harvey. I learned a lot and became aware of a lot while serving in the U.S. Navy.
Don't tell me that was a mistake. And you are very seriously going there. Please don't.

I don't believe you ever served in any navy.

The Parrot Killer

03-11-2021 03:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

I don't believe you ever served in any navy.

Gravy goes well with biscuits. So does the sea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVT2MPNCqgM
03-11-2021 03:37
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:

And next you'll tell me that the treaties that Native Americans signed weren't valued by those who became Americans? Such a dirty tactic on your part but I'll not fall for it.
Screwing people over doesn't make things better. That only creates another problem.
And now can we get back to the power grid? We can acknowledge that Native Americans have been screwed. How to allow for that? It is a different topic and unfortunately most people will avoid it. It might need to be discussed.
Edited on 03-11-2021 03:40
03-11-2021 03:50
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
James___ wrote:And next you'll tell me that the treaties that Native Americans signed weren't valued by those who became Americans?

Question: What does this statement and F(x) = 4.23^x - x^2 have in common?
Answer: Nonlinear

James___ wrote:Such a dirty tactic on your part but I'll not fall for it. Screwing people over doesn't make things better. That only creates another problem. And now can we get back to the power grid? We can acknowledge that Native Americans have been screwed. How to allow for that? It is a different topic and unfortunately most people will avoid it. It might need to be discussed.

Not only is that completely nonlinear, it's a brand new geometric shape.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
03-11-2021 04:00
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:And next you'll tell me that the treaties that Native Americans signed weren't valued by those who became Americans?

James___ wrote:Such a dirty tactic on your part but I'll not fall for it. Screwing people over doesn't make things better. That only creates another problem. And now can we get back to the power grid? We can acknowledge that Native Americans have been screwed. How to allow for that? It is a different topic and unfortunately most people will avoid it. It might need to be discussed.

It's not like your my girlfriend, okay?

F(x) = 4.23^x - x^2

This is linear. You said it wasn't.
You made the exponent the factor and came up with a new problem. This thread is about the power grid and the demands it meets because it has customers.

Please stay on topic.
Edited on 03-11-2021 04:01
03-11-2021 04:24
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
This is why I really need to quit drinking.
Romans 12:13 When God's people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.

This thread is about the electrical grid and is not about how God blesses different peoples. That scripture would say that Native Americans haven't been blessed.

Please people, let's get back to the electrical grid.
03-11-2021 05:41
(21599)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

And next you'll tell me that the treaties that Native Americans signed weren't valued by those who became Americans? Such a dirty tactic on your part but I'll not fall for it.

How to native Americans screw themselves with a treaty with themselves??
James___ wrote:
And now can we get back to the power grid?

Hey...YOU wandered off again.
James___ wrote:
We can acknowledge that Native Americans have been screwed. How to allow for that? It is a different topic and unfortunately most people will avoid it. It might need to be discussed.

Guess you still don't want to talk about the power grid.

The Parrot Killer

03-11-2021 05:43
(21599)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

F(x) = 4.23^x - x^2

The equation is not linear.
James___ wrote:
You made the exponent the factor and came up with a new problem. This thread is about the power grid and the demands it meets because it has customers.

Apparently it isn't.
James___ wrote:
Please stay on topic.

Why? You don't.

The Parrot Killer

03-11-2021 06:36
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

F(x) = 4.23^x - x^2

James___ wrote:

Apparently it isn't.
James___ wrote:
Please stay on topic.

Why? You don't.

To answer IBDM, maybe non-linear needs to become co-linear? Not about a specific line but about how 2 lines allow for a co-function? Could that work? Is it even possible?

And now we've gone from D.C. to A.C. energy propagation. Can we discuss why A.C. (co-function) is better than D.C. (non-linear function) matters?
Edited on 03-11-2021 06:52
03-11-2021 06:55
(5197)
James___ wrote:

Hearing loss (never learned to wear required protection). Service related disability, likely same sort of ignorance, got you injured.

Mostly, I think you copy & paste from the internet. I've had some serious doubt that you actually know anything. But, when you try to explain electricity, or electronics, it's very obvious that you don't know a thing. You learned so many things in the Navy, but an Amazon warehouse order-picker was the best you could find?

The electric grid is a little bit larger, and deals specifically with power generation and distribution. An Aircraft carrier has a lot more going one, beside generating electricity.

A good portion of you time, is spent watching TV, movies, and YouTube video. Considering all the links and references. Likely the source, you inspiration, but lacking a lot of educational value. Probably where you learned to cut you fingers off with power tools. You have to be smarter than the tool. It doesn't know what kind of material you are feeding it.
03-11-2021 07:17
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

Hearing loss (never learned to wear required protection). Service related disability, likely same sort of ignorance, got you injured.

Mostly, I think you copy & paste from the internet. I've had some serious doubt that you actually know anything. But, when you try to explain electricity, or electronics, it's very obvious that you don't know a thing. You learned so many things in the Navy, but an Amazon warehouse order-picker was the best you could find?

The electric grid is a little bit larger, and deals specifically with power generation and distribution. An Aircraft carrier has a lot more going one, beside generating electricity.

A good portion of you time, is spent watching TV, movies, and YouTube video. Considering all the links and references. Likely the source, you inspiration, but lacking a lot of educational value. Probably where you learned to cut you fingers off with power tools. You have to be smarter than the tool. It doesn't know what kind of material you are feeding it.

And Thank You Harvey for that comment. With the electrical grid in the U.S.,
https://www.publicpower.org/resource/americas-electricity-generating-capacity
It has 1.2 million megawatts of capacity. And Thanks to Hairless Balls, we know how much energy needs to be generated to allow for an economy with ~320 million people.
It does give us a figure-less hairless balls to work with but it is a start.
Where or how to come up with that much energy? The purpose of this thread.
To limit production of energy from fossil fuels will require renewable energy to replace that lost production. It is not political but is merely what an economy requires to maintain said economy.
03-11-2021 14:51
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
King James I have to ask.You served in a US carrier that was steam powered?did it have sails as well?
03-11-2021 14:54
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Do you mean steam powered catapults like the USS Enterprise
03-11-2021 15:35
(14414)
duncan61 wrote:King James I have to ask.You served in a US carrier that was steam powered?did it have sails as well?

I'm sure it was equipped with renewable power sources. The US puts backup sails on all its nuclear-powered submarines for that reason.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
03-11-2021 18:35
(5197)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

It has 1.2 million megawatts of capacity. And Thanks to Hairless Balls, we know how much energy needs to be generated to allow for an economy with ~320 million people.
It does give us a figure-less hairless balls to work with but it is a start.
Where or how to come up with that much energy? The purpose of this thread.
To limit production of energy from fossil fuels will require renewable energy to replace that lost production. It is not political but is merely what an economy requires to maintain said economy.

Production from solar panels and windmills fluctuates and is unpredictable. Electricity, actually only represents a potion of the energy we use. Fossil fuels are pure evil, and must be banished! So no more fossil fuel generated electricity. Every vehicle, heavy equipment, Norwegian fishing boat (cruise ship/Navy vessel), all must be converted to electric. Not only are we producing less electricity, intermittently... We are pushing to increase the demand, considerably. What the hell is Joe Biden thinking. Guess he's trying to figure it out too. Probably involves sniffing hair. Can't believe James voted for that moron...
03-11-2021 18:57
(21599)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

F(x) = 4.23^x - x^2

James___ wrote:

Apparently it isn't.
James___ wrote:
Please stay on topic.

Why? You don't.

To answer IBDM, maybe non-linear needs to become co-linear? Not about a specific line but about how 2 lines allow for a co-function? Could that work? Is it even possible?

The equation is linear.
James___ wrote:
And now we've gone from D.C. to A.C. energy propagation.

No, you've wandered off topic.
James___ wrote:
Can we discuss why A.C. (co-function) is better than D.C. (non-linear function) matters?

Buzzword fallacies. Try English.

The Parrot Killer

03-11-2021 19:12
(21599)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

It has 1.2 million megawatts of capacity.

No. Total generating capacity in the SOA is about 1.12TW. Last year, it generated about 4TWh. source: Energy Dept., SODC.
James___ wrote:
Where or how to come up with that much energy?

Natural gas, oil, hydroelectric, coal, nuclear, etc.
James___ wrote:
The purpose of this thread.

Not the purpose of this thread. You wanted to talk about the grid, not power generation. The grid does not generate power.
James___ wrote:
To limit production of energy from fossil fuels

There are no fossil fuels. Fossils don't burn.
James___ wrote:
will require renewable energy to replace that lost production.

There is zero production from fossils.
James___ wrote:
It is not political but is merely what an economy requires to maintain said economy.

What 'said economy'. You didn't talk about any specific economy.

The Parrot Killer

03-11-2021 19:12
(21599)
duncan61 wrote:
King James I have to ask.You served in a US carrier that was steam powered?did it have sails as well?

The Parrot Killer

03-11-2021 19:13
(21599)
IBdaMann wrote:
duncan61 wrote:King James I have to ask.You served in a US carrier that was steam powered?did it have sails as well?

I'm sure it was equipped with renewable power sources. The US puts backup sails on all its nuclear-powered submarines for that reason.

Those are backup alarms.

The Parrot Killer

04-11-2021 04:07
(5197)
I feel really disappointed in this thread. Fully expected to learn about load-balancing, protection/safety, load shunting, rolling blackouts (popular in California), and all the finer details of the 'modern' electrical grid. I was under the impression that it has really changed a great deal from Tesla's design, just modernized equipment and automatic controls. All the same basic principles, even some of the original equipment, though manufactured modernly.

Instead, we don't even get to read the thrilling secrets, of the Norwegian Electric Grid...

A nuclear powered aircraft carrier, would be a steamboat... They heat water to do work, just with radiation. Really don't see our Navy letting a 'James' anywhere near a nuclear reactor...
04-11-2021 16:27
(14414)
HarveyH55 wrote:I feel really disappointed in this thread. Fully expected to learn about load-balancing,

The missing "load balancing" is my fault. I should have covered that.

For any distributed application you will want to figure out the best measure of your load. The most common measure is layer 7 analysis of payload/content, however it is very possible that your load is better conceptualized in terms of network traffic at layers 3 and 4. This is where most of the work for your analysis will be focused.

The rest is relatively easy. You will choose an ALB (application load balancer) if you will be basing your load on layer 7 content. Conversely, you will choose an NLB (network load balancer) if the load is based on network traffic. Caution: don't be fooled by application developers who say that distribution will need to be determined by examining IP packets (layer 3 structure) leading you to think that an NLB will be needed. When they say that, they really mean that the layer 7 content of the packet will need to be examined in order to make a determination. This requires an ALB; an NLB will not serve you in this case.

One quick way to figure out optimal load-balancing is to check your scaling groups. How will scaling be effected? If your autoscaling will be based on network traffic then your load balancing will likely be based on network traffic as well. The same goes for scaling requests based on content. Those loads will be best distributed by the content or endpoints requested which goes to layer 7 and ALBs.

Lastly, if you wish to avail yourself of additional load sharing by having the load balancer perform needed decryption on the load (thus relieving the cluster's resources of much of that work) then you will need an ALB. An NLB can only look at IP addresses and has nothing to decrypt.

I apologize for any inconvenience my delay might have caused.

04-11-2021 18:04
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:

Steam helping to launch aircraft. I take it you've never been on an actual ship or you wouldn't be so ignorant of how some ships are powered. I think 2 D type boilers generating about 27,500 of h.p. just shows how much energy steam can have. And with 4 main engine rooms, that's 110,000 h.p. No sails needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcq17FTVI2s
04-11-2021 19:19
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I feel really disappointed in this thread. Fully expected to learn about load-balancing, protection/safety, load shunting, rolling blackouts (popular in California), and all the finer details of the 'modern' electrical grid. I was under the impression that it has really changed a great deal from Tesla's design, just modernized equipment and automatic controls. All the same basic principles, even some of the original equipment, though manufactured modernly.

Instead, we don't even get to read the thrilling secrets, of the Norwegian Electric Grid...

A nuclear powered aircraft carrier, would be a steamboat... They heat water to do work, just with radiation. Really don't see our Navy letting a 'James' anywhere near a nuclear reactor...

The same basic design is there. It still uses transformers to convert generator voltage up to high voltage for long haul transmission, and other transformers to step it down again as it gets distributed to branch lines, and eventually your home.

Like any electrical system, fusing is still used. At the power plants, that 'fusing' takes the form of frequency and phase monitoring. If the generator starts to deviate from that, the field coil is adjusted to keep the generator at the same phase and frequency. A higher quality version of what is in a portable generator you might use on a job site.

Each power station also has fuses (actually circuit breaker relays) to disconnect the plant if too much current goes out on the line. Each substation has similar circuit breakers for their branch circuits. An automatic system can even disconnect the substation automatically completely from the incoming long haul power line if a fault develops in the substation itself.

On the branch circuits (typically 7.2kv 3 phase), pole or vault mounted transformers step things down to a home or business. You can get 240v biphase or 220v three phase. It all just depends on how you wind the secondary on that transformer. Each transformer typically has a fuse (the classic blowout fuse) mounted on them. These sound like a gunshot when they blow. They protect the transformer and the service entrance for the home or business.

After that, of course, it's up to the distribution panel in the home or business.

Every component acts like some combination of a resistor, inductor, and capacitor. Power line wires are no exception. For long runs, inductance can become problem. This will throw available current and voltage out of phase, making it hard on equipment. Current will lag voltage. You can think of an inductor like a flywheel. It takes effort to get it started, and it also takes effort to get it to stop. It wants to stay the same speed.

To counter inductance, capacitor banks are installed from time to time on power lines. These look like transformers, they they aren't. They are large capacitors. In a capacitor, current will lead voltage. This compensates for the inductive effect of long power lines or power lines with lots of inductive loads (like large motors) on them.

The idea is to build a system that more or less resonates at 60Hz.

Safety is about mitigating hazards to personnel maintaining and using electric power. 7.2kv is no joke. 800kv is no joke. You don't get a 2nd chance if you screw up.

Line workers use special boots, which they check before going on site. These boots are designed with a high resistance. Even a single pinhole can be fatal. That's why they check those boots a lot.

Climbing poles can be a dangerous business. It's also a lot of work. It's also necessary when a bucket truck can't get into somewhere. It takes special gear, training, and practice. In Tennessee, they have an annual contest at a training school for pole climbing and performing typical tasks on power lines such as mounting a transformer, replacing an insulator stack, etc.

Bucket trucks are nice, but they too have their hazards. You are standing in a bucket on a grounded truck near 7.2kv lines, and if the truck moves or the bucket overbalances, you crash to the ground, quite probably either killing you or sending you to the hospital with terrible injury.

This is just a small description of some of the hazards faced by power line workers. Appreciate them for going out in that storm and working on hazardous equipment at all hours to restore your power.

My hardhat is off to them for what they do!

The Parrot Killer

04-11-2021 22:39
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:

I think it's yourself that you're disappointed in. Relay stations balance the grid like they always have and power in the home is routed through circuit breakers or fuses. This last part shows how the technology has changed.
The science was the same in Tesla's time as it is today. The equipment has changed but it still uses the same principles. It's not that complicated.
A transformer (relays power) depending on its windings on one side when compared to the other will either step up or step down line voltage. A switching station operates at one voltage and redirects power where it's needed.
This is all pretty basic. I'd think that because generators were invented in America that an American would know this. This might show how dependent Americans have become on others to serve them.

p.s., and for you Harvey, if my work on Bessler's wheel proves out, then the overbalance would replace water when considering how much electricity could be generated. And with the page I'm linking, it would be close because it considers a 90º rotation of the wheel. Water doesn't necessarily fill the buckets on top until after a bucket starts rotating downward.
https://www.teachengineering.org/lessons/view/cub_energy_lesson02

With that said, I think I'll just take my time and enjoy what I'm doing. And if you're wondering Harvey, someone living off grid or has no stream, etc. might find using gravity power an attractive option. This would make your opinion moot (subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty).
Edited on 04-11-2021 22:56
04-11-2021 23:30
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
If A.C. generators are the "heart of the US electrical grid, then capacitors are its "brain" which it couldn't work without. This is what makes A.C. more expensive than D.C. to generate. When it needs to be distributed further than 2 miles from the generating station, then that is what makes it affordable.
Also capacitors prevent a low or no voltage coming from the generator as well as "conditioning" line current. It allows for a "clean" 50 Hz or 60 Hz current to be fed to transmission lines or to transformers on poles near your homes.
You'll probably recognize the capacitor and will remembering seeing some around where you live. And with power outages in your neighbor, follow the electrical lines
and you'll probably see a round component on the pole, that would be your local transformer. It gets knocked out, so does the power in your neighborhood.

https://www.arrow.com/en/research-and-events/articles/capacitor-banks-benefit-an-energy-focused-world

p.s., and yes, those are large transformers at the capacitor bank. Notice the transmission lines in the background? That is most likely a substation removing current from the transmission lines. The transformers would be stepping down current before it is processed (conditioned) by the capacitor bank. And it's always possible that there's a small power plant feeding those transmission lines (adding power to the grid).
Attached image:

Edited on 04-11-2021 23:48
05-11-2021 00:48
(14414)
James___ wrote:If A.C. generators are the "heart of the US electrical grid, then capacitors are its "brain"

You didn't do too well on the SAT, I see. The correct answer is as follows:

Generators:Heart :: Capacitors:Hematopoietic Stem Cells

James___ wrote:This is what makes A.C. more expensive than D.C. to generate.

You're saying that the difference in cost is not due to the cost of the different equipment involved in each case, which is due to the differing scales of work involved in each case?

DC current would be prohibitively expensive on a city-wide scale, which is why AC exists for that purpose.

05-11-2021 00:57
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
@Harvey, they might not mention the capacitor when talking about energy generation because it might be considered as part of the generator and gets overlooked. I had to remember back to when I was a teenager. I was taught that alternators don't go bad, just the capacitor. If you have an alternator go bad and go to the parts store, new or refurbished? A refurbished alternator should have new bearings, commutator brushes and capacitor. The armature and field coil and the housing will probably be reused as it, maybe cleaned up.
As for myself, I've owned both a 1967 GTO and a 1969 Buick GS 400 California Special. The GTO could go over 140 mph. And yet I can get into green energy and conservationism. That's where I guess having interests and pursing them didn't stop with Muscle Cars.

p.s., with capacitors, they can discharge stored energy in half cycles. So if capacitors discharge at a rate of 120 times per second, that is 60 Hz. By controlling the number of capacitors that can discharge into a generator or a power grid, then a flow rate of a specific Hz can be maintained. Hopefully I've made it easy enough for you to understand.

p.s., it's possible that the capacitor on your alternator has a rectifier built into it. If so then your d.c. battery would be supplying the initial charge to your alternator. That might explain why trying to compression start a car with a dead battery isn't easy. And now we're talking about how the power grid is in your car.
An example is your starter is 12 volts. Everything else runs off of 6 volts. I am purposely not mentioning after market sound systems, etc. Even an after market H.E.I. coil might require 12 volts.
Edited on 05-11-2021 01:22
05-11-2021 01:49
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:If A.C. generators are the "heart of the US electrical grid, then capacitors are its "brain"

You didn't do too well on the SAT, I see. The correct answer is as follows:

Generators:Heart :: Capacitors:Hematopoietic Stem Cells

James___ wrote:This is what makes A.C. more expensive than D.C. to generate.

You're saying that the difference in cost is not due to the cost of the different equipment involved in each case, which is due to the differing scales of work involved in each case?

DC current would be prohibitively expensive on a city-wide scale, which is why AC exists for that purpose.

Saying "Capacitors:Hematopoietic Stem Cells" would be wrong. A capacitor serves 2 specific functions within the electrical grid and how energy is generated.
It "charges" the armature while ensuring all generators are discharging the same Hz of current to the transformer/into the grid. Generators can be out of phase when operating. Capacitors "condition" all phases to have the same Hz.

Your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs would be correct. The wording might be confusing to some. Some might confuse scale to mean the generation of energy itself and not the scale on which it is distributed which is what you are asking about. That is why A.C. current won out. It was cheaper when it's scale of distribution was increased. As for the public feud between Edison and Tesla, it only made Edison look bad.

p.s., with capacitors, they discharge automatically. This means that their input energy has to be regulated (think circuit breaker here) and the excess energy dumped off (grounded). This is where resistors could control the amount of energy going to the capacitors. Cars have them to control the line current in your ignition system. At least cars that used carburetors and a distributor cap used resistors for that purpose.

Edited on 05-11-2021 02:10
05-11-2021 02:33
(14414)
James___ wrote:Saying "Capacitors:Hematopoietic Stem Cells" would be wrong.

It's the correct answer.

James___ wrote:A capacitor serves 2 specific functions within the electrical grid and how energy is generated.

The capacitors do not generate electrical energy. They "catch and release" ... like the hematopoietic stem cells accumulate and release blood into the blood stream.

James___ wrote:It "charges" the armature

Nope. Whatever supplies the capacitor ultimately charges the armature.

James___ wrote: ... while ensuring all generators are discharging the same Hz of current to the transformer/into the grid.

Capacitors do not modify frequency. They smooth out current.

James___ wrote:Generators can be out of phase when operating. Capacitors "condition" all phases to have the same Hz.

Capacitors cannot adjust a generator. They can only smooth out current.

James___ wrote: Your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs would be correct.

They are correct. Thank you for noticing.

James___ wrote:The wording might be confusing to some.

You were my target audience. Did I confuse you?

James___ wrote:Some might confuse scale to mean the generation of energy itself

Who do you believe would confuse the word "scale" for "generation of energy"? Do you think "sca" looks just too much like "generation of"?

James___ wrote:That is why A.C. current won out. It was cheaper when it's scale of distribution was increased.

Actually, it's because DC current cannot reach across a city.

James___ wrote:As for the public feud between Edison and Tesla, it only made Edison look bad.

I heard that they duked it out at the local fight club. Edison won and took the patent. Done deal.

James___ wrote: p.s., with capacitors, they discharge automatically.

Current flows automatically.

James___ wrote:This means that their input energy has to be regulated.

Nope. Capacitors have no way of knowing whether there is any sort of regulator, nor do they care. Capacitors don't bother checking and they function the same regardless of regulation.

05-11-2021 03:27
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

Capacitors cannot adjust a generator. They can only smooth out current.

And now you're like a monkey flinging scat and hoping you hit something. You need to learn English son. You should have said
"Capacitors cannot adjust generators".
Capacitors adjust multiple generators. Multiple generators cannot be in precise rotation as they generate cycles of energy. A single generator can rotate at precisely 3,600 rpm. Notice how I did not say "at precisely 3.600 rpm"?
I mean you're the smart one here. What would you do if your generators were not in phase with each other which is pretty much impossible? And notice how I said "generators" and not "a generator"? A generator will be in phase with itself.
I hope you don't tell me that some cars with a coil type point ignition distributor system used either a block type ballast resistor or an inline ballast resistor but never both because they'd decrease the current to the coil. What idiot doesn't know that? And everyone knows that the coil in an ignition system is a transformer in the power grid. Why are you talking about the power grid for when I thought we were talking "shop" about cars?

I don't watch porn. Someone else must've been on my computer because I've never seen this before. Honest, I don't know how it got there. It's just filthy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKkE1Cr8Lcw

I will need to take a break from things and focus on my gravity powered engine.
With having 2 resistors, they decrease the 12 volts from your battery or current from your alternator to what your coil requires. With 2 resistors your coil would only receive 1/2 of the energy that it needs to send to the spark plug.
Still I think you guys can figure this stuff out. I'll most likely be back but have my own affairs to resolve.
Edited on 05-11-2021 03:36
05-11-2021 04:28
(14414)
James___ wrote:And now you're like a monkey flinging scat

I'm an ape throwing shit at the fan.

James___ wrote: and hoping you hit something.

I'm hitting the fan.

James___ wrote: You need to learn English son.

Why's I gotta?

James___ wrote: You should have said "Capacitors cannot adjust generators".

Nope. You are trying to say that capacitors cannot adjust generators (plural) but that they can somehow adjust a single generator. They cannot. Capacitors cannot adjust a single generator, much less multiple generators.

You need to learn English.

James___ wrote: Capacitors adjust multiple generators.

Nope. Capacitors have no ability to adjust any generators.

James___ wrote: Multiple generators cannot be in precise rotation as they generate cycles of energy.

It sucks to be them.

What is an imprecise rotation?

What does an energy cycle look like? Do they come in titian?

James___ wrote:A single generator can rotate at precisely 3,600 rpm.

You just finished telling me that they cannot be precise.

James___ wrote: I mean you're the smart one here.

It's quite a burden, actually. Sometimes I wish I were something less than fully genius. Sometimes my cognitive prowess overloads the WiFi and brings down the ISP for up to ten minutes. As winter approaches, though, I imagine it must be nice to be able to warm your hands over my posts.

James___ wrote:What would you do if your generators were not in phase with each other

I'd pretend to not be phased.

James___ wrote: A generator will be in phase with itself.

You have a solid point there. I hope keepit is paying attention.

James___ wrote: I hope you don't tell me that some cars with a coil type point ignition distributor system used either a block type ballast resistor or an inline ballast resistor but never both because they'd decrease the current to the coil.

OK, I promise I won't tell you that, but let me know if you change your mind.

James___ wrote:What idiot doesn't know that?

I know of a few.

James___ wrote:And everyone knows that the coil in an ignition system is a transformer in the power grid.

It's what we know.

James___ wrote:Why are you talking about the power grid for when I thought we were talking "shop" about cars?

Whoa, I thought you wanted to power-shop for talking car grids. What part did I get wrong?

James___ wrote: I don't watch porn.

You just listen to it?

James___ wrote: I will need to take a break from things and focus on my gravity porn engine.

Is that where sexy chicks use ATE to really heat up the pool table much hotter than it otherwise would be?

James___ wrote: Still I think you guys can figure this stuff out. I'll most likely be back but have my own affairs to resolve.

Bessler porn. If what you're working on pans out, you'll make a lot of cash. Good luck.

05-11-2021 04:31
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:And now you're like a monkey flinging scat

I'm an ape throwing shit at the fan.

I never said you're an ape you chimpanzee. God are you stupid. You don't even know what primate you are. Don't you have consciousness yet or do you need another million years of evolution?

p.s., you're the reason why I'm glad I never had kids. Mein Gott comes to mind whatever that means. It's possible that I just need to relax and not worry about what I'm doing. It's a paradox. My medical situation is motivational.
At the same time, enjoy Christmas and New Years. I'll need to be back. It's just that I have a lot of work to finish.

@IBDM, if I am right, with the atmospheric air pressure of Venus, Earth and Mars, I have a mathematical formula that is within 0.0012 psi. Would that be an acceptable margin of error? 12/10000ths? I did come up with a value for the curvature of space itself. What does it mean? I don't know. I just figured out the math.
Edited on 05-11-2021 05:06
05-11-2021 05:48
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
p.s., Mein Gott actually means "My God". With atmospheric pressure, it will explain why barometric pressure is 30 hg. If you want an idea, place 1 liter of water on your abdomen when you are lying down. Have a board that is 64 cm^2 below it. That will be a pressure of 15.625 grams/cm^2.
Atmospheric air pressure is only 1.033 kgf/cm^2. That is about 64 times greater than 1 liter of water on an 8 cm x 8 cm board on your stomach. If you feel the water on your stomach, why?
Give it a try knowing that atmospheric pressure is over 64 times greater. If you don't get it, not much I can do if you don't understand basic science.
4 lbs. is 64 ounces. 4 lbs/in^2 is the same thing. I think people will feel it.
Edited on 05-11-2021 06:05
Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate The Modern Power Grid and Energy Distribution System:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The USA electricity system - Hourly billing.?10802-02-2024 20:52
THE FUTURE OF HYDROGEN POWER3109-08-2023 19:29
Just spoke with Dmitri Vasilyev a Russian solar power salesman at my front door223-07-2023 20:22
Solar power is a scam. My next door neighbor has solar panels and he pays more for power419-07-2023 18:37
How To Become God, Active Super Ability Power, Become Immortal Guide Could Appear Soon113-07-2023 12:53
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact