Remember me
▼ Content

SCIENTIFIC HONESTY AND QUANTUM COMPUTING'S LATEST THEORETICAL HURDLE

SCIENTIFIC HONESTY AND QUANTUM COMPUTING'S LATEST THEORETICAL HURDLE11-11-2021 19:01
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
https://hackaday.com/2021/11/11/scientific-honesty-and-quantum-computings-latest-theoretical-hurdle/

THE MAJORANA ANNOUNCEMENT
Delft University of Technology announced they'd generated MZMs in indium antimonide nanowires. The next year Microsoft, a company that wants to back topological quantum computing architecture, opened a research center on the school's campus.

Sounds great, right? A researcher from the University of Pittsburgh read about the advance in the journal Nature, a well-respected scientific journal. He and a partner in Australia had been doing similar work and asked for the raw data from the Delft group.

What they found was surprising. Some of the Delft paper didn't seem right and it seemed possible some graphs had been manipulated. Data that didn't support the conclusion had been excluded for no apparent reason, and processing all the data told a different story. The head of the Delft project looked at the data again and in 2021 asked Nature to retract the paper and published an apology.

According to an article in Quanta, an independent committee concluded that the paper wasn't deliberately fraudulent, but noted: "The authors had simply fooled themselves by zooming in only on the results that showed them what they hoped to see."

I couldn't find the other thread, so started a new one... Just remember there was considerable discussion. I'm not even sure if any actual hardware has ever been built, or if it's all done with computer models.
11-11-2021 20:49
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21612)
Nah. This sort of thing NEVER happens among scientists...right?
Join the debate SCIENTIFIC HONESTY AND QUANTUM COMPUTING'S LATEST THEORETICAL HURDLE:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Quantum entanglement visualized for the first time ever1407-10-2023 19:05
IBM quantum experience7213-09-2023 19:48
Better than Quantum Computing525-07-2023 00:11
QUANTUM COMPUTING ON A COMMODORE 64 IN 200 LINES OF BASIC305-07-2023 18:48
Quantum Light Experiment Proves Photosynthesis Starts with a Single Photon1522-06-2023 23:00
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact