Remember me
▼ Content

Quantum Light Experiment Proves Photosynthesis Starts with a Single Photon

Quantum Light Experiment Proves Photosynthesis Starts with a Single Photon20-06-2023 03:26
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/quantum-light-experiment-proves-photosynthesis-starts-with-a-single-photon/

Did you know that tomato plants can grow 2 inches a day, provided that they get the right nutrients and enough massless photons!

The process that powers much of life on Earth, photosynthesis, is so finely tuned that just one photon is enough to kick it off.

Scientists have long suspected that photosynthesis must be sensitive to individual photons, or particles of light, because despite the way it dominates our days, the sun's light is surprisingly sparse at the level of individual plant cells. But only now, with the help of quantum physics, have researchers been able to watch a single packet of light begin the process in an experiment described on June 14 in the journal Nature.

"It makes sense that photosynthesis only requires a single photon, but to actually be able to measure that ... is really groundbreaking," says Sara Massey, a physical chemist at Southwestern University in Texas, who was not involved with the new research. "Being able to actually see that hands-on with the data from these experiments is very valuable."

A key hurdle is that it's surprisingly difficult to produce a single photon at a time. So in the experiment, the researchers created individual pairs of entangled photons, which affected each other regardless of their separation, according to the laws that govern the quantum realm. The scientists beamed one photon from each pair toward a detector to establish that only its single matching photon was in the system. They simultaneously sent that matching photon into a bacterium's so-called light-harvesting 2 (LH2) complex, which is involved in the very first step of photosynthesis. The LH2 structure was extracted from the purple bacterium Rhodobacter sphaeroides, where it gathered light (absorbed energy) and fed it into photosynthesis machinery. In the experimental setup, the LH2 complex released light after the energy was absorbed, alerting the scientists that the photon had passed through the system.

"We make a pair of entangled photons, we detect one—we call that the herald—then we put the other one on our sample and look for a signal," says Graham Fleming, a physical chemist at the University of California, Berkeley, and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and a co-author of the new study.

Or rather that's the theory. In reality, the approach is a little harder because the fluorescence can occur in any direction, making it difficult for basic detectors with a limited field of view to spot. "It's easy enough to detect the herald; it's a heck of a lot harder to detect the fluorescence," Fleming says. "Most of the time, we're not seeing anything."

So the scientists repeated the process over and over and over—producing more than 17 billion herald photons and detecting a fluorescence from LH2 for about one out of every 10,000 heralds. That number of runs was enough for the researchers to statistically analyze the results. Study co-author Quanwei Li, a quantum physicist at the U.C. Berkeley, says this is a crucial step in quantum optics, given how finicky individual photons can be. The analysis confirmed that both the input and output of the experiment were single quanta of energy.

"They actually use quantum light to show that the energy absorption is a quantum event that occurs one photon at a time," says Jianshu Cao, a physical chemist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who was not involved with the research. "I think it's very intriguing they were able to apply the new quantum technology, which is the quantum light, to a very large and complex and messy biological system."

Fleming, Cao and Massey say that the success of the experiment paves the way for other investigations using quantum light—in the context of photosynthesis and beyond.

And in the meantime, the new research gives scientists their sharpest look ever at a process that's vital to life on Earth. "This is an experiment where you're actually looking at one single particle of light, and that's just amazing and mind-blowing to think about, that we're zooming in at that level," Massey says.

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
20-06-2023 07:30
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Quantum, the new, and trendy buzzword for anything non-repeatable... Bullshit article, since the researchers clearly had no control. Had not way of know if they were actually doing as described, or observing some random event.

Tomatoes are not bacterium, but they are amphibians...
20-06-2023 15:45
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14420)
HarveyH55 wrote: Quantum, the new, and trendy buzzword for anything non-repeatable...

"Quantum" is the new buzzword on the hardware side, and "AI" is the new buzzword for software. I noticed that Grammarly has abruptly changed its advertising from smiling students and business writers getting good grades and winning sales contracts because Grammarly helps bring documents to life ... to Grammarly being the leading generative software bringing the power of AI to your business.

HarveyH55 wrote: Bullshit article, since the researchers clearly had no control.

Correct. There's no way to somehow find an entangled photon once it is split (which they simply characterize as "collapsing" due to "instability") and there is no way to somehow write a digital value onto a photon (despite the gibberish that there is a physical gate that is really only a logical gate that is really nothing that actually physically exists that is expressed as a mathematical equation that "superimposes" many values on top of each other and everybody is happy) so all any government grant "researcher" can do is measure the time between the attempt to split a given photon and the moment that have no idea where that photon is, and announce when the existing record number of microseconds has been broken (press release time).

The bad news gets worse on the "reading" side of the qubit. Not only can the qubit never be found in order to be read, and not only can there never be any value stored on it, ... but the only known methodology for "reading" a photon involves guessing whether it is a "0" or a "1" (forget the billions of values that you supposedly superimposed onto that one photon) based on a fuzzy understanding of the probabilities that it is a "0" or a "1" according to the following "fit-for-press-release" gibberish (because there is no way to read a qubit):

Each qubit can be represented as a linear combination of ∣0⟩ and ∣1⟩: ∣ψ⟩ = α∣0⟩ + β∣1⟩,  where α and β are complex probability amplitudes. α and β are constrained by the equation ∣α∣2 + ∣β∣2 = 1.

The probability that the qubit will be measured in the state ∣0⟩ is ∣α∣2 and the probability that it will be measured in the state ∣1⟩ is ∣β∣2. Hence the total probability of the system being observed in either state ∣0⟩ or ∣1⟩ is 1.

HarveyH55 wrote:Tomatoes are not bacterium, but they are amphibians...

Tomatoes are not amphibious. I can't think of any plants that are.
20-06-2023 17:07
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Quantum, the new, and trendy buzzword for anything non-repeatable... Bullshit article, since the researchers clearly had no control. Had not way of know if they were actually doing as described, or observing some random event.

Says the backwards Amish nerd who does not believe in electric lighting, calling electricity a buzzword. Described in English as delusionary

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

20-06-2023 19:14
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Wait a minute. Are you sure tomatoes aren't amphibians? Let's discuss the semantics of that. There must be some argument that doesn't seek information in there.
20-06-2023 19:20
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21600)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote: Quantum, the new, and trendy buzzword for anything non-repeatable...

"Quantum" is the new buzzword on the hardware side, and "AI" is the new buzzword for software. I noticed that Grammarly has abruptly changed its advertising from smiling students and business writers getting good grades and winning sales contracts because Grammarly helps bring documents to life ... to Grammarly being the leading generative software bringing the power of AI to your business.

HarveyH55 wrote: Bullshit article, since the researchers clearly had no control.

Correct. There's no way to somehow find an entangled photon once it is split (which they simply characterize as "collapsing" due to "instability") and there is no way to somehow write a digital value onto a photon (despite the gibberish that there is a physical gate that is really only a logical gate that is really nothing that actually physically exists that is expressed as a mathematical equation that "superimposes" many values on top of each other and everybody is happy) so all any government grant "researcher" can do is measure the time between the attempt to split a given photon and the moment that have no idea where that photon is, and announce when the existing record number of microseconds has been broken (press release time).

The bad news gets worse on the "reading" side of the qubit. Not only can the qubit never be found in order to be read, and not only can there never be any value stored on it, ... but the only known methodology for "reading" a photon involves guessing whether it is a "0" or a "1" (forget the billions of values that you supposedly superimposed onto that one photon) based on a fuzzy understanding of the probabilities that it is a "0" or a "1" according to the following "fit-for-press-release" gibberish (because there is no way to read a qubit):

Each qubit can be represented as a linear combination of ∣0⟩ and ∣1⟩: ∣ψ⟩ = α∣0⟩ + β∣1⟩,  where α and β are complex probability amplitudes. α and β are constrained by the equation ∣α∣2 + ∣β∣2 = 1.

The probability that the qubit will be measured in the state ∣0⟩ is ∣α∣2 and the probability that it will be measured in the state ∣1⟩ is ∣β∣2. Hence the total probability of the system being observed in either state ∣0⟩ or ∣1⟩ is 1.

HarveyH55 wrote:Tomatoes are not bacterium, but they are amphibians...

Tomatoes are not amphibious. I can't think of any plants that are.
Well put.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
20-06-2023 19:21
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21600)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Says the backwards Amish nerd who does not believe in electric lighting, calling electricity a buzzword. Described in English as delusionary
Electricity is not light, dumbass.
There is not such thing as a 'quantum computer'.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
20-06-2023 19:27
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
keepit wrote:
Wait a minute. Are you sure tomatoes aren't amphibians? Let's discuss the semantics of that. There must be some argument that doesn't seek information in there.

I put tomatoes in a bowl of water, to wash them off. Never know what some tomato-perv did to them at the store... See people groping and sniffing them all the time. Doesn't seem to do no harm. When I get around to it, and take them out of them bowl, them seem fine, for store bought. Now, putting them in a pot of boiling water is a different story...
20-06-2023 19:58
(14420)
HarveyH55 wrote:Now, putting them in a pot of boiling water is a different story...

I'm guessing that "amphibian" has a water temperature limit. I believe that alligators and otters and polar bears all cease to be amphibious in boiling water.

I'll have to look into it a little more.
20-06-2023 22:05
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
keepit wrote:

Tomatoes are not amphibians, but the tomato frog is an amphibian. There are however types of plants that are amphibians, but nightshades are not among them.

ULTRA MAGA

21-06-2023 12:51
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:Now, putting them in a pot of boiling water is a different story...

I'm guessing that "amphibian" has a water temperature limit. I believe that alligators and otters and polar bears all cease to be amphibious in boiling water.

Actually a dead alligator is still an example of an amphibian

ULTRA MAGA

21-06-2023 12:52
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:

Look into Chlorpromazine and Abilify

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 21-06-2023 12:53
21-06-2023 15:15
(14420)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Thank you.
22-06-2023 16:28
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Thank you.

I am not sure that thank you is allowed under the UN code of conduct? However bait and switch is, so in reality alligators are not amphibians, but they are still amphibious reptiles. That said you know this

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 22-06-2023 16:37
22-06-2023 19:08
(14420)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Thank you.

... so in reality alligators are not amphibians, but they are still amphibious reptiles.

Sorry, you're too late.
22-06-2023 23:00
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Thank you.

... so in reality alligators are not amphibians, but they are still amphibious reptiles.

Sorry, you're too late.

For what?

ULTRA MAGA

Join the debate Quantum Light Experiment Proves Photosynthesis Starts with a Single Photon:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
My Experiment - A Refresher4218-10-2023 22:43
Quantum entanglement visualized for the first time ever1407-10-2023 19:05
IBM quantum experience7213-09-2023 19:48
If mental illness were defined by a single photo this would be it006-09-2023 13:58
Better than Quantum Computing525-07-2023 00:11
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact