Remember me
▼ Content

QUANTUM COMPUTING ON A COMMODORE 64 IN 200 LINES OF BASIC

QUANTUM COMPUTING ON A COMMODORE 64 IN 200 LINES OF BASIC05-07-2023 02:44
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
https://hackaday.com/2023/07/04/quantum-computing-on-a-commodore-64-in-200-lines-of-basic/

The term 'quantum computer' gets usually tossed around in the context of hyper-advanced, state-of-the-art computing devices, but much as how a 19th century mechanical computer, a discrete computer created from individual transistors, and a human being are all computers, the important quantifier is how fast and accurate the system is at the task, whether classical or quantum computing. This is demonstrated succinctly by [Davide 'dakk' Gessa] with 200 lines of BASIC code on a Commodore 64 (GitHub), implementing a range of quantum gates.

Much like a transistor in classical computing, the qubit forms the core of quantum computing, and we have known for a long time that a qubit can be simulated, even on something as mundane as an 8-bit MPU. Ergo [Davide]'s simulations of various quantum gates on a C64, ranging from Pauli-X, Pauli-Y, Pauli-Z, Hadamard, CNOT and SWAP, all using a two-qubit system running on a system that first saw the light of day in the early 1980s.

Naturally, the practical use of simulating a two-qubit system on a general-purpose MPU running at a blistering ~1 MHz is quite limited, but as a teaching tool it's incredibly accessible and a fun way to introduce people to the world of quantum computing.

Haven't gone to the GitHub yet, but will soon. This is an interesting possibility though, in finding out what's really going on with 'Quantum' computing. The C64 was the first computer I bought, almost 40 years ago... Hoping the GitHub has links, or better explanation of gates. Obvious from this article, the naming of the gates aren't function-oriented...
05-07-2023 14:31
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://hackaday.com/2023/07/04/quantum-computing-on-a-commodore-64-in-200-lines-of-basic/

The term 'quantum computer' gets usually tossed around in the context of hyper-advanced, state-of-the-art computing devices, but much as how a 19th century mechanical computer, a discrete computer created from individual transistors, and a human being are all computers, the important quantifier is how fast and accurate the system is at the task, whether classical or quantum computing. This is demonstrated succinctly by [Davide 'dakk' Gessa] with 200 lines of BASIC code on a Commodore 64 (GitHub), implementing a range of quantum gates.

Much like a transistor in classical computing, the qubit forms the core of quantum computing, and we have known for a long time that a qubit can be simulated, even on something as mundane as an 8-bit MPU. Ergo [Davide]'s simulations of various quantum gates on a C64, ranging from Pauli-X, Pauli-Y, Pauli-Z, Hadamard, CNOT and SWAP, all using a two-qubit system running on a system that first saw the light of day in the early 1980s.

Naturally, the practical use of simulating a two-qubit system on a general-purpose MPU running at a blistering ~1 MHz is quite limited, but as a teaching tool it's incredibly accessible and a fun way to introduce people to the world of quantum computing.

Haven't gone to the GitHub yet, but will soon. This is an interesting possibility though, in finding out what's really going on with 'Quantum' computing. The C64 was the first computer I bought, almost 40 years ago... Hoping the GitHub has links, or better explanation of gates. Obvious from this article, the naming of the gates aren't function-oriented...

How do they get around the massive heat and noise generated by a commodore without liquid nitrogen cooling, which the commodore chip was certainly not built to withstand. LOL is this supposed to be more believable than your submarine rant?

PS. Can you elaborate as to why anything achieved at 1mhz would be considered fun? Because at that speed, a turtle, or even a government shrinky could keep up.

Next

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
Edited on 05-07-2023 14:50
05-07-2023 18:28
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

How do they get around the massive heat and noise generated by a commodore without liquid nitrogen cooling, which the commodore chip was certainly not built to withstand. LOL is this supposed to be more believable than your submarine rant?

PS. Can you elaborate as to why anything achieved at 1mhz would be considered fun? Because at that speed, a turtle, or even a government shrinky could keep up.

Next

Submarine rant? Dementia much? Don't think I've ever been in a submarine discussion here.

Actually the C64 was pretty awesome back in the 80's, for $129, you got a functional computer. Not a bad video game machine for the time either. The funny part is emulating a quantum computer, on an 8-bit relic, in BASIC, with only 38k RAM for programs...

GitHub didn't really have much detail. But, there was a Wikipedia entry, that looked 'impressive', but still gives the impression it's more of an emulation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_logic_gate
05-07-2023 18:48
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Next

Submarine rant? Dementia much? Don't think I've ever been in a submarine discussion here.

Actually the C64 was pretty awesome back in the 80's, for $129, you got a functional computer. Not a bad video game machine for the time either. The funny part is emulating a quantum computer, on an 8-bit relic, in BASIC, with only 38k RAM for programs...

GitHub didn't really have much detail. But, there was a Wikipedia entry, that looked 'impressive', but still gives the impression it's more of an emulation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_logic_gate

So you or one of your schizzo friends authored a wiki page of nonsense, then claim that it is real.

You forgot to mention how the liquid nitrogen surrounds the commodore chip to lessen the noise?

I really get a kick out of clowns like you still playing super Mario and claiming to not be demented.

Market Summary
>
Apple Inc
191.24 USD
+66.17 (52.91%)year to date
Jul 5, 11:51 AM EDT * Disclaimer

Silly girls

As for the submarine aircraft carrier rant, well I just want everyone to get in on that one simply because it was so much fun. So have you ever been in a submarine/aircraft carrier crash like James the shrinky?

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
Edited on 05-07-2023 19:05

Join the debate QUANTUM COMPUTING ON A COMMODORE 64 IN 200 LINES OF BASIC:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Basic Mistakes in Math, Just an FYI, 2 x 2 ≠ 4.027-01-2024 19:01
Quantum entanglement visualized for the first time ever1407-10-2023 19:05
IBM quantum experience7213-09-2023 19:48
Better than Quantum Computing525-07-2023 00:11
Quantum Light Experiment Proves Photosynthesis Starts with a Single Photon1522-06-2023 23:00
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact