▼ Content

Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Agroecosystems

Page 13 of 22<<<1112131415>>>
RE: Global Warming Potential (GWP) of different gases25-08-2022 21:34
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
James_ wrote:
According to the EPA, N2O (nitrous oxide) has a 300 times greater impact on global warming than CO2 does. CO2 is 79% of GHG emissions while N2O is only 7%.
A little math tell us .79 x 1 = .79 Then
.............................07 x 300 = 21
We have a winner folks. 21 is always a winer in Vegas but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
If not, why go to Vegas to gamble and party? Right folks? So 21 is always a winner in Vegas.
And now we're back to ODSs and ozone depletion. And CO2 is helping the ozone layer to recover.
Kind of makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If3SXJeZzMQ

I was surprised to see EPA saying nitrous oxide has 300 times as much global warming potential as CO2.

The people I knew who were researching it were estimating about 200, but that was more than 10 years ago.

The easy part is to use spectroscopy in a lab and compare carbon dioxide to nitrous oxide.

That will tell you, gram per gram or mole per mole, how much more capable nitrous oxide is compared to carbon dioxide to absorb and emit infrared.

You can get an exact answer out to the tenth decimal place.

But the hard part is to know how long the gases remain in the atmosphere.

To calculate global warming potential (GWP), you have to have a mean residence time for the gas in the air.

An incredibly powerful greenhouse gas will have little impact if it is removed from the atmosphere as soon as it is emitted.

For the number to have shifted from 200 to 300 means that someone has decided that either carbon dioxide has a shorter mean residence time than previously believed, or that nitrous oxide hangs around longer than they used to think.

I'm surprised if it is the second, because they were learning about new ways nitrous oxide gets removed.

At the surface, microorganisms can pull it back out of the air and reduce it to ammonia, or oxidize it to nitrate.

High above, it gets consumed through oxidation by ozone, with nitric acid as a major product.

A specific mechanism has been identified whereby this either brings about MORE ozone loss, OR prevents additional ozone loss, depending on how long the nitric acid ice crystals remain suspended.

If the nitric acid crystal just acts as a magnet upon which ozone destroying agents adsorbed, but then pulls them down toward the surface before they have time to react with much ozone, it causes short term ozone loss but then allows for robust recovery as fewer ozone destroying agents are available.

If that nitric acid ice hangs out for a long time before falling, it could be facilitating more ozone destruction than would occur in their absence.

While the simple calculation presented above suggests that nitrous oxide was doing 7% of the about of the anthropogenic global warming (not ozone destruction related), the number in the textbooks used to be more like 16%.

But I've never heard of a mechanism through which carbon dioxide could be protecting the ozone layer. Well, maybe one.

If carbon dioxide is the main gas responsible for global warming and associated stratospheric COOLING, which now permits temperatures cold enough to freeze nitric acid, maybe that how CO2 protects the ozone?

You will get a Nobel prize if you can show a plausible mechanism for CO2 protecting the ozone layer via some direct chemical interaction.

What mechanism do you propose?
26-08-2022 17:20
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21600)
Im a BM wrote:
James_ wrote:
According to the EPA, N2O (nitrous oxide) has a 300 times greater impact on global warming than CO2 does. CO2 is 79% of GHG emissions while N2O is only 7%.
A little math tell us .79 x 1 = .79 Then
.............................07 x 300 = 21
We have a winner folks. 21 is always a winer in Vegas but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
If not, why go to Vegas to gamble and party? Right folks? So 21 is always a winner in Vegas.
And now we're back to ODSs and ozone depletion. And CO2 is helping the ozone layer to recover.
Kind of makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If3SXJeZzMQ

I was surprised to see EPA saying nitrous oxide has 300 times as much global warming potential as CO2.

The people I knew who were researching it were estimating about 200, but that was more than 10 years ago.

The easy part is to use spectroscopy in a lab and compare carbon dioxide to nitrous oxide.

That will tell you, gram per gram or mole per mole, how much more capable nitrous oxide is compared to carbon dioxide to absorb and emit infrared.

You can get an exact answer out to the tenth decimal place.

But the hard part is to know how long the gases remain in the atmosphere.

To calculate global warming potential (GWP), you have to have a mean residence time for the gas in the air.

An incredibly powerful greenhouse gas will have little impact if it is removed from the atmosphere as soon as it is emitted.

For the number to have shifted from 200 to 300 means that someone has decided that either carbon dioxide has a shorter mean residence time than previously believed, or that nitrous oxide hangs around longer than they used to think.

I'm surprised if it is the second, because they were learning about new ways nitrous oxide gets removed.

At the surface, microorganisms can pull it back out of the air and reduce it to ammonia, or oxidize it to nitrate.

High above, it gets consumed through oxidation by ozone, with nitric acid as a major product.

A specific mechanism has been identified whereby this either brings about MORE ozone loss, OR prevents additional ozone loss, depending on how long the nitric acid ice crystals remain suspended.

If the nitric acid crystal just acts as a magnet upon which ozone destroying agents adsorbed, but then pulls them down toward the surface before they have time to react with much ozone, it causes short term ozone loss but then allows for robust recovery as fewer ozone destroying agents are available.

If that nitric acid ice hangs out for a long time before falling, it could be facilitating more ozone destruction than would occur in their absence.

While the simple calculation presented above suggests that nitrous oxide was doing 7% of the about of the anthropogenic global warming (not ozone destruction related), the number in the textbooks used to be more like 16%.

But I've never heard of a mechanism through which carbon dioxide could be protecting the ozone layer. Well, maybe one.

If carbon dioxide is the main gas responsible for global warming and associated stratospheric COOLING, which now permits temperatures cold enough to freeze nitric acid, maybe that how CO2 protects the ozone?

You will get a Nobel prize if you can show a plausible mechanism for CO2 protecting the ozone layer via some direct chemical interaction.

What mechanism do you propose?

No gas or vapor is capable of warming or cooling the Earth. You are still ignoring the 1st law or thermodynamics.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
RE: An Unteachable Moment with Lignin26-03-2023 20:22
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
]Into the Night wrote:[/quote]
Nope. The entire plant is carbohydrates and some proteins.

Lignin is a carbohydrate.

Ignoring the carbohydrates that make up the plant is not going to help you.[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's try again.

Maybe YOU need to provide a definition of your terms.

Maybe you are aware of carbohydrate chemistry in a way that defies classic models.

Us simpletons only know what they taught us in O chem at college.

"The entire plant is carbohydrates and some proteins."

Us simpletons thought there were many other kinds of organic compounds in plants, let alone the water content.

Is there more than one valid definition for "carbohydrates"?

Does that mean that vegetable oil is a carbohydrate? Or it's just not part of the entire plant?

I don't mean to be petty, but you would have flunked classic O chem or botany.

And it's fine if you didn't know. But to stubbornly insist, after having the error exposed, that lignin is actually a carbohydrate. Tannins, terpenes, oil, wax... they don't even need to be acknowledged.

I'm trying to assess if you're teachable.

You certainly provide teachable moments with your posts, so keep it up.[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This unteachable moment was a year ago.

Yesterday, Parrot Boy again insists that "lignin is a carbohydrate".

Apparently, the basis for the infallible authority is because "I work with lignin".

ANYBODY can do a simple search about what lignin is.

It is NOT a carbohydrate by any definition in chemistry.

Lignin is a class of polymeric compounds produced by plants.

The main component of lignin are aromatic alcohol subunits.

There is no point for myself, or anyone else for that matter, to respond to the idiotic assertions of someone who doesn't know how to look up definitions for the simplest terms.

And to stubbornly continue to insist that lignin is a carbohydrate is more than just ignorant.

It is an **** way to "debate".

It is unworthy of respect.

It deserves no acknowledgement.

But I'll have fun with the "I work with lignin" (Parrot Boy quote) thing.

I published MY work with lignin 25 years ago, and it continues to be cited to this day.

I really DID work with lignin. Extracting it and measuring it, and cross checking some of the analysis with NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance).

Other scientists vouch for my work with lignin, citing it as informing their research.

Parrot Boy is a nothing.

He can say that lignin is a carbohydrate 1000 times, and it still will be incorrect.
26-03-2023 21:53
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Not to mention, plants are amphibians... When all else fails, an opponent will always resort to absurdity, rather than admit defeat.

Just as it's absurd to mess with CO2, as the primary cause, of a fantasy crisis. Carbon-based molecules make up every living thing on the planet. CO2 is the source of all the carbon in every living thing. Plants are the only lifeform to take CO2 from the environment, and convert it to usable molecules for everything else. The world population has grown considerably over the past few thousand years, requiring more vegetation, more CO2.

Rather than expanding the amount of land used for food production. We clear the land, to plant solar and windmill farms, affordable housing apartments, strip malls with happy-ending massage parlors. We ignore where our food comes from, and what is needed to exist. Life is short, so we need to grab all we can, let future generations fight over the scraps of what's left, by the 'left'.
26-03-2023 22:20
(21600)
Repairing damaged quoting...apparently you STILL haven't figured out how to quote. You must be a real moron....

Im a BM wrote:
]Into the Night wrote:

Ignoring the carbohydrates that make up the plant is not going to help you.

It is.
Im a BM wrote:
Apparently, the basis for the infallible authority is because "I work with lignin".

That I do.
Im a BM wrote:

Apparently you never bothered.
Im a BM wrote:

Yes it is. I suggest you go read a basic chemistry book and find out what 'carbohydrate' means.
Im a BM wrote:

It is a carbohydrate.
Im a BM wrote:

Buzzword fallacy. It is a carbohydrate. Alcohol (grain or plant based alcohol, as described here), is also a carbohydrate.
Im a BM wrote:
There is no point for myself, or anyone else for that matter, to respond to the idiotic assertions of someone who doesn't know how to look up definitions for the simplest terms.

You are describing yourself again.
Im a BM wrote:
And to stubbornly continue to insist that lignin is a carbohydrate is more than just ignorant.

Nope. The definition of a carbohydrate in chemistry is very clear and concise. You just deny and discard it.
Im a BM wrote:

There is no debate. The definition is clear and concise. You just deny and discard it.
Im a BM wrote:

I published MY work with lignin 25 years ago, and it continues to be cited to this day.

Your 'work' denies and discards chemistry. I have already described why and how. So have others.
Im a BM wrote:
I really DID work with lignin.

I don't believe you.
Im a BM wrote:
Extracting it and measuring it, and cross checking some of the analysis with NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance).

You never did. You are just making shit up now.
Im a BM wrote:
Other scientists vouch for my work with lignin, citing it as informing their research.

You are not a scientist. Neither are any idiots that quote you.
Im a BM wrote:
Parrot Boy is a nothing.

Im a BM wrote:
He can say that lignin is a carbohydrate 1000 times, and it still will be incorrect.

It is a carbohydrate, just like plant based alcohols are.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 26-03-2023 22:23
RE: An easily falsified theory27-03-2023 14:23
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Into the Night wrote:

How can someone with no formal training in chemistry find out if this assertion is absurd?

The quickest way would be to use an Internet search engine with the question:

"Is lignin a carbohydrate"

The answer is unambiguous and unanimous.

If you want to go deeper might ask:

"What is the difference between lignin and carbohydrate?"

But you will find it swamped with references to "lignin-carbohydrate complexes", rather than something that just distinguishes the two definitions.

Still, this is very revealing. A lignin-carbohydrate complex forms from two different materials combining. As if they were not the same to begin with.

You could check simply:
"definition of carbohydrate" and "definition of lignin".
Even without any chemistry training you will see obvious differences.
For example, for lignin you will see terms like "aromatic" and "phenyl" which are never used in the carbohydrate definitions.

You could check simply:
"chemical formula for carbohydrate" and "chemical formula for lignin"
Even with no training, you can see they are quite different.
All the carbohydrates have hydrogen-to-oxygen ratio of 2:1
In most lignins, it is closer to 3:1
Nearly all the carbohydrates have hydrogen-to-carbon ratio of 2:1
In most lignins, it is closer to 1:1

You could look up:
"chemical structure for carbohydrate" and "chemical structure for lignin"
Even with no training, they do not look very similar.
The lignin is full of hexagons with circles inside them. No carbohydrates do.
The hexagons are the "aromatic" (benzene ring) par of lignin.
Carbohydrates may have hexagons, but no circles inside. Not aromatic. Ever.

The absurd assertion that lignin is a carbohydrate can be falsified by just about anyone who knows how to use Internet search engines.

Or by anyone who actually studied chemistry in the real world.
27-03-2023 17:36
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14416)
Im a BM wrote:The absurd assertion that lignin is a carbohydrate can be falsified by just about anyone who knows how to use Internet search engines.

Isn't your version of "falsification" in this case nothing more than you selecting the narrowest definition of "carbohydrate", i.e. distinguishing between two types of polymers, instead of selecting the broader umbrella definition, i.e the set of starches (also known as complex carbohydrates), sugars, and fiber (which includes lignin)?
27-03-2023 19:42
(5197)
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

How can someone with no formal training in chemistry find out if this assertion is absurd?

But you will find it swamped with references to "lignin-carbohydrate complexes", rather than something that just distinguishes the two definitions.

Still, this is very revealing. A lignin-carbohydrate complex forms from two different materials combining. As if they were not the same to begin with.

You could check simply:
For example, for lignin you will see terms like "aromatic" and "phenyl" which are never used in the carbohydrate definitions.

You could check simply:

You could look up:

The absurd assertion that lignin is a carbohydrate can be falsified by just about anyone who knows how to use Internet search engines.

They are all amphibians... I usually walk away, when it becomes absurd and ridiculous. Just word games, with context removed.
27-03-2023 20:00
(21600)
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You could check simply:

You could check simply:

You could look up:

Many carbohydrates do. Lignin is a carbohydrate.

The Parrot Killer

RE: no need to call you a "liar"10-04-2023 20:13
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Into the Night wrote:
Repairing damaged quoting...apparently you STILL haven't figured out how to quote. You must be a real moron....

Im a BM wrote:
]Into the Night wrote:

Ignoring the carbohydrates that make up the plant is not going to help you.

It is.
Im a BM wrote:

That I do.
Im a BM wrote:

Apparently you never bothered.
Im a BM wrote:

Yes it is. I suggest you go read a basic chemistry book and find out what 'carbohydrate' means.
Im a BM wrote:

It is a carbohydrate.
Im a BM wrote:

Buzzword fallacy. It is a carbohydrate. Alcohol (grain or plant based alcohol, as described here), is also a carbohydrate.
Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Nope. The definition of a carbohydrate in chemistry is very clear and concise. You just deny and discard it.
Im a BM wrote:

There is no debate. The definition is clear and concise. You just deny and discard it.
Im a BM wrote:

Your 'work' denies and discards chemistry. I have already described why and how. So have others.
Im a BM wrote:
I really DID work with lignin.

I don't believe you.
Im a BM wrote:
Extracting it and measuring it, and cross checking some of the analysis with NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance).

You never did. You are just making shit up now.
Im a BM wrote:

You are not a scientist. Neither are any idiots that quote you.
Im a BM wrote:
Parrot Boy is a nothing.

Im a BM wrote:

There is no need to call Parrot Boy a "liar".

That truth is already self evident to all three of the people who actually read the stupid shit he makes up.
10-04-2023 23:07
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You could check simply:

You could check simply:

You could look up:

Lignin is a polymer that is closely related to cellulose and is most certainly not a carbohydrate

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
12-04-2023 05:57
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You could check simply:

You could check simply:

You could look up:

Lignin is a polymer that is closely related to cellulose and is most certainly not a carbohydrate

Lignin is not cellulose. Both are carbohydrates.

The Parrot Killer

12-04-2023 13:42
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You could check simply:

You could check simply:

You could look up:

Lignin is not digestible and is classified as a fiber, carbohydrates are digestible and are sugars. Lignin is not a sugar, but is rather a compound containing about 40 oxygenated phenylpropane units, as well as coniferyl, sinapyl, and p-coumaryl alcohols that have undergone a dehydrogenative polymerization process. Lignins vary in mass and methoxyl content.

You may now resume trolling

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

12-04-2023 15:56
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14416)
Swan wrote:Lignin is not digestible and is classified as a fiber,

... and fiber is carbohydrate found mainly in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes.

Is it not?

Fiber is a carbohydrate that the human body cannot digest.

It simply depends on who owns the English language, right?
12-04-2023 19:41
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:

... and fiber is carbohydrate found mainly in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes.

Is it not?

But, lignin is not a carbohydrate but due to its association with dietary fiber component, it affects the physiological effects of dietary fiber and hence classified as dietary fiber. So lignin is neither a carb nor a fiber, it is a polymer.

You may now resume drinking

ULTRA MAGA

12-04-2023 20:14
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You could check simply:

You could check simply:

You could look up:

Lignin is not digestible and is classified as a fiber,

Lignin has no fibers.
Swan wrote:
carbohydrates are digestible

Some are, some aren't.
Swan wrote:
and are sugars.

Carbohydrates are not sugar, but sugar is a carbohydrate.
Swan wrote:
Lignin is not a sugar,

Correct.
Swan wrote:
but is rather a compound containing about 40 oxygenated phenylpropane units, as well as coniferyl, sinapyl, and p-coumaryl alcohols that have undergone a dehydrogenative polymerization process. Lignins vary in mass and methoxyl content.

Buzzword fallacies.
Swan wrote:

Inversion fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

12-04-2023 20:14
(21600)
IBdaMann wrote:

Is it not?

Lignin isn't even fibrous.

The Parrot Killer

12-04-2023 20:17
(21600)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Is it not?

But, lignin is not a carbohydrate
Swan wrote:
but due to its association with dietary fiber component,
Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:
it affects the physiological effects of dietary fiber and hence classified as dietary fiber.
Paradox. Irrational. You just denied your own argument. You cannot say something is edible and inedible at the same time.
Swan wrote:
So lignin is neither a carb nor a fiber, it is a polymer.

Lignin is a carbohydrate and a polymer. It is not fibrous.

The Parrot Killer

12-04-2023 20:37
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You could check simply:

You could check simply:

You could look up:

Lignin has no fibers.
Swan wrote:

Some are, some aren't.
Swan wrote:
and are sugars.

Swan wrote:
Lignin is not a sugar,

Correct.
Swan wrote:
but is rather a compound containing about 40 oxygenated phenylpropane units, as well as coniferyl, sinapyl, and p-coumaryl alcohols that have undergone a dehydrogenative polymerization process. Lignins vary in mass and methoxyl content.

Buzzword fallacies.
Swan wrote:

Inversion fallacy.

But, lignin is not a carbohydrate but due to its association with dietary fiber component, it affects the physiological effects of dietary fiber and hence classified as dietary fiber. So lignin is neither a carb nor a fiber, it is a polymer.

You may now resume drinking like your other selfs

ULTRA MAGA

12-04-2023 23:32
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You could check simply:

You could check simply:

You could look up:

Lignin has no fibers.
Swan wrote:

Some are, some aren't.
Swan wrote:
and are sugars.

Swan wrote:
Lignin is not a sugar,

Correct.
Swan wrote:

Buzzword fallacies.
Swan wrote:

Inversion fallacy.

You may now resume drinking like your other selfs

LOL I bet that this is an accepted chemistry masters or PhD exam question.

PS You failed as usual

ULTRA MAGA

13-04-2023 08:49
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You could check simply:

You could check simply:

You could look up:

Lignin has no fibers.
Swan wrote:

Some are, some aren't.
Swan wrote:
and are sugars.

Swan wrote:
Lignin is not a sugar,

Correct.
Swan wrote:

Buzzword fallacies.
Swan wrote:

Inversion fallacy.

Lignin is a carbohydrate. It is not fibrous. You are now locked in paradox. You can't call something a fiber and not a fiber at the same time.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 13-04-2023 08:50
13-04-2023 13:22
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You could check simply:

You could check simply:

You could look up:

Lignin has no fibers.
Swan wrote:

Some are, some aren't.
Swan wrote:
and are sugars.

Swan wrote:
Lignin is not a sugar,

Correct.
Swan wrote:

Buzzword fallacies.
Swan wrote:

Inversion fallacy.

Lignin is a carbohydrate. It is not fibrous. You are now locked in paradox. You can't call something a fiber and not a fiber at the same time.

Lignin is not a carbohydrate and it is a fiber that is not sugar, but rather a saccharide, consisting of long chains of phenolic resin alcohols connected along an oversized advanced molecule. As plants mature, their cell walls increase in lignin concentration, leading to a tough, stringy texture.

PS. Can you now explain how you believe that you can lock people into paradoxes by means of your obvious trolling?

PSS. You may now resume choking your chicken

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 13-04-2023 14:14
RE: almost right with lignin definition13-04-2023 22:03
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Swan wrote:
Lignin is not a carbohydrate and it is a fiber that is not sugar, but rather a saccharide, consisting of long chains of phenolic resin alcohols connected along an oversized advanced molecule. As plants mature, their cell walls increase in lignin concentration, leading to a tough, stringy texture.

PS. Can you now explain how you believe that you can lock people into paradoxes by means of your obvious trolling?

This definition of lignin is partially correct.

However, if lignin were a saccharide, that would make it a carbohydrate.

Phenolic resin alcohols isn't too far off.

Lignins are polymers of aromatic alcohols (phenols) with aliphatic interlinks.

Carbohydrates are purely aliphatic. Also, carbs have strictly single bonded links between all atoms. Lignin and polyphenols have mainly double bonded carbons.

Next we'll get into how much lignin is like polyphenol.

That is what makes lignin significant for carbon sequestration and nitrogen cycling, with important implications for climate change.
13-04-2023 23:53
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Im a BM wrote:
Swan wrote:

Carbohydrates are purely aliphatic. Also, carbs have strictly single bonded links between all atoms. Lignin and polyphenols have mainly double bonded carbons.

That is what makes lignin significant for carbon sequestration and nitrogen cycling, with important implications for climate change.

The biggest failure in American history unlike what you have been told was the Manhattan project

ULTRA MAGA

14-04-2023 03:44
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Lignin is not a carbohydrate

Swan wrote:
and it is a fiber

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:
that is not sugar,

It is not a sugar. Sugar, however, is also a carbohydrate.
Swan wrote:
but rather a saccharide, consisting of long chains of phenolic resin alcohols connected along an oversized advanced molecule.

Define 'advanced molecule'.
Swan wrote:
As plants mature, their cell walls increase in lignin concentration,

Plant cell walls don't contain lignin.
Swan wrote:
leading to a tough, stringy texture.

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:

You lock yourself into your own paradoxes. They are YOUR problem. Only YOU can do something about them.
Swan wrote:

I take better care of my chickens than that.

The Parrot Killer

14-04-2023 03:48
(21600)
Im a BM wrote:
Swan wrote:

It is incorrect.
Im a BM wrote:

Carbohydrates are purely aliphatic.
Not the definition of a carbohydrate. Try again.
Im a BM wrote:
Also, carbs have strictly single bonded links between all atoms. Lignin and polyphenols have mainly double bonded carbons.
Not the definition of a carbohydrate. Try again.
Im a BM wrote:

There is no nitrogen in lignin.

Define 'carbon sequestration'.
Define 'climate change'.
Buzzword fallacies. Discard of chemistry.

The Parrot Killer

14-04-2023 03:49
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Swan wrote:

The biggest failure in American history unlike what you have been told was the Manhattan project

History doesn't fail.

The Parrot Killer

14-04-2023 12:44
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
and it is a fiber

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:
that is not sugar,

Swan wrote:
but rather a saccharide, consisting of long chains of phenolic resin alcohols connected along an oversized advanced molecule.

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:

You lock yourself into your own paradoxes. They are YOUR problem. Only YOU can do something about them.
Swan wrote:

There is no human on Earth who cares about your babbles.

Must be sad.

Now go invent another friend

ULTRA MAGA

RE: "saccharide" = definition of carbohydrate14-04-2023 20:56
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
and it is a fiber

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:
that is not sugar,

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

As the stupid word games make clear, trolls have never studied chemistry in the real world.

Look up the definition for carbohydrate, and you will find the term "saccharide".

Parrot Boy wouldn't know that. He could have won the debate by quoting Snarky's incorrect claim that lignin is a saccharide.

But all he knows is how to play word games and make contrarian assertions.

Deny that lignin is found in cell walls, and try to make it about "fibrous" somehow. Kind of like "amphibious" versus the actual definition of amphibian.

And this thread is completely covered in troll feces now.

Would have been nice to try to discuss the topic.

Lignin comes in second after polyphenol as the chemical that most regulates carbon sequestration and nitrogen cycling.

By some definitions, lignin IS a polyphenol. Most of its molecular weight arises from its phenolic (aromatic alcohol) rings.

But polyphenols, also known as tannins or tannic acid, are defined not just by the phenols but also the acid. Polyphenols are carboxylic acids, which lignins are not. Benzoic acid is another word for it when the carboxylic acid group is attached to a benzene ring, as it is in polyphenols. But that benzene ring is also an alcohol (phenol)

Meanwhile, Parrot Boy STILL makes the absurd anti scientific assertion that lignin is a carbohydrate. Yet doesn't even know what a saccharide is.
14-04-2023 21:42
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
and it is a fiber

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:
that is not sugar,

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

There is no human ...
An obvious lie.

The Parrot Killer

14-04-2023 21:55
(21600)
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
and it is a fiber

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:
that is not sugar,

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

As the stupid word games make clear, trolls have never studied chemistry in the real world.

You are describing yourself again. Inversion fallacy.
Im a BM wrote:
Look up the definition for carbohydrate, and you will find the term "saccharide".

Not the definition of a carbohydrate. Try again. Saccharide is a carbohydrate though.
Im a BM wrote:
Parrot Boy wouldn't know that. He could have won the debate by quoting Snarky's incorrect claim that lignin is a saccharide.

Lignin is not a saccharide.
Im a BM wrote:

You are describing yourself again. Buzzword fallacies.
Im a BM wrote:
Deny that lignin is found in cell walls,

It isn't.
Im a BM wrote:
and try to make it about "fibrous" somehow.

You are describing yourself and Swan again. Lignin isn't fibrous.
Im a BM wrote:
Kind of like "amphibious" versus the actual definition of amphibian.

Still can't figure that out either, eh?
Im a BM wrote:

The stop trolling and stay on topic.
Im a BM wrote:
Lignin comes in second after polyphenol as the chemical that most regulates carbon sequestration and nitrogen cycling.

There is no nitrogen in lignin.
Im a BM wrote:
By some definitions, lignin IS a polyphenol. Most of its molecular weight arises from its phenolic (aromatic alcohol) rings.

But polyphenols, also known as tannins or tannic acid, are defined not just by the phenols but also the acid. Polyphenols are carboxylic acids, which lignins are not. Benzoic acid is another word for it when the carboxylic acid group is attached to a benzene ring, as it is in polyphenols. But that benzene ring is also an alcohol (phenol)

Buzzword fallacies. Lignin is a carbohydrate. It is not tannic acid or a tannin.
Im a BM wrote:
Meanwhile, Parrot Boy STILL makes the absurd anti scientific assertion that lignin is a carbohydrate. Yet doesn't even know what a saccharide is.

A saccharide is also a carbohydrate. Lignin is not a saccharide.

The Parrot Killer

15-04-2023 03:08
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
and it is a fiber

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:
that is not sugar,

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Deny that lignin is found in cell walls, and try to make it about "fibrous" somehow. Kind of like "amphibious" versus the actual definition of amphibian.

Cell walls create the structure of the cell. Not sure if you know that cells do not have skeletons but use their walls for structure, hence that is where fiber would be found

However since this is off of a masters degree exam you are exempt as you are not qualified anyway

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 15-04-2023 03:13
15-04-2023 03:23
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
and it is a fiber

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:
that is not sugar,

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Cell walls create the structure of the cell. Not sure if you know that cells do not have skeletons but use their walls for structure, hence that is where fiber would be found

Lignin is not in cell walls. Lignin is not fibrous. Lignin is a carbohydrate.

The Parrot Killer

15-04-2023 03:50
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
and it is a fiber

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:
that is not sugar,

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

You have just failed the masters program, again. 7 years of college down the drain, along with your life

Now. Lignin is in cell walls. Lignin is fibrous. Lignin is not a carbohydrate.

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 15-04-2023 03:55
RE: "The entire plant is carbohydrates and some proteins." Mystery solved!15-04-2023 10:57
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
[quote]Into the Night wrote:
[quote]

MYSTERY SOLVED!

Since "the entire plant is carbohydrates and some proteins."

And since lignin is NOT a protein.

Lignin HAS to be a carbohydrate. Like every other non protein compound found in plants. They are ALL carbohydrates, according to the infallible expert in science.

We are so lucky to have a plant chemistry expert such as Parrot Boy to enlighten us.
15-04-2023 16:44
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]

MYSTERY SOLVED!

Lignin HAS to be a carbohydrate. Like every other non protein compound found in plants. They are ALL carbohydrates, according to the infallible expert in science.

We are so lucky to have a plant chemistry expert such as Parrot Boy to enlighten us.

So have you ever had a marinara sauce made from only Cherokee purple and Black Krim tomatoes?

Nope, because Ragu does not use those

ULTRA MAGA

15-04-2023 18:13
(5197)
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]

MYSTERY SOLVED!

Anything that can survive in water is an 'amphibian'. Any molecule that contains carbon and hydrogen is a carbohydrate... "learn some English"... Semantics is everything silly. Always narrowing your focus to the largest possible group, and you are never wrong.

Any attempt at discussing a specific sub-group, is quickly deflected to the larger group, to avoid possible ignorance.
15-04-2023 18:41
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]

MYSTERY SOLVED!

Anything that can survive in water is an 'amphibian'. Any molecule that contains carbon and hydrogen is a carbohydrate... "learn some English"... Semantics is everything silly. Always narrowing your focus to the largest possible group, and you are never wrong.

Any attempt at discussing a specific sub-group, is quickly deflected to the larger group, to avoid possible ignorance.

Anyone who believe that fish are amphibians because they can survive in water is retarded.

EMERGENCY RETARD ALERT

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 15-04-2023 18:43
17-04-2023 10:57
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
and it is a fiber

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:
that is not sugar,

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Lignin is not fibrous.
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

You have...
Mantra 40a.

The Parrot Killer

17-04-2023 11:00
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

MYSTERY SOLVED!
...Mantra 40b....

So have...
Mantra 40a.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 17-04-2023 11:03
Page 13 of 22<<<1112131415>>>

Join the debate Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Agroecosystems:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Happy fourth of July. I wonder how many liberals are eating carbon cooked burgers106-07-2023 23:52
Uses for solid carbon3006-07-2023 23:51
Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Wetlands9623-06-2023 14:49
Biden wants to force 'carbon capture'821-06-2023 12:55
Carbon losses from soil predicted to enhance climate change5216-06-2023 09:44
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact