▼ Content

Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Agroecosystems

Page 15 of 21<<<1314151617>>>
27-05-2023 13:11
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
James_ wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Soil science is a major underlying theme in discussion of carbon sequestration.

My first significant paper about these things was published in 1995.

(Yours truly et al). 1995. Intraspecific variation of conifer phenolic concentration on a marine terrace soil acidity gradient; A new interpretation. Plant and Soil. Volume 171, pages 255-262.

These coastal terraces on have soils ranging from pH 5 on the youngest and most fertile terrace to pH 3 on the oldest and least fertile terrace.

The pygmy forest grows on ancient soils (ranging from 300000 to 500000 years of soil development) that are EXTREMELY infertile and strongly acidic.

It was an ideal opportunity to investigate the mechanisms that enable oligotrophic ecosystems to sustain productivity over geologic time, recycling a tiny pool of nutrients under conditions of high potential leaching loss.

It turns out that the same mechanisms that prevent nutrient loss also prevent loss of soil organic carbon.

The "gibber babble" will be meaningless to scientifically illiterate trolls.

Sooner or later, someone will join the discussion who understands actual science and the "gibber babble" used to communicate it.

It may be of historic interest to have a reference for what was literally the first paper published on this particular topic - chemical adaptations to extreme soil conditions.

The trolls may continue to insist that I don't even know what science is. That's okay. Other scientists take my work pretty seriously.

Maybe the next post should get into some of the papers that CITED this one, coming out after 1995, because they continue right up to this year.

And since a fundamental requirement of the scientific method is that the results must be "reproducible", it is an important reality test after a discovery is published to see if other scientists can confirm it.

In fact, obvious proof that a "discovery" was NOT valid is if nobody ever bothers to cite it because it wasn't reproducible. Of if the only citations are to refute it.

It's okay if I get nothing but insults down here in the rabbit hole. I get plenty of praise from real scientists in the real world.

So you're saying a lack of flooding or run off allows for nutrients and organic carbon to remain in a given field? With aquifers going dry and drought becoming more prevalent, sustainable practices will probably become more of a focal point.
If people like eating then sustainable farming practices will probably replace the IPCC's we need to lower CO2 emissions.
And carbon sequestration would not be good for the ozone layer. Something the IPCC fails to mention.

The first step should be to level Washington DC and plant trees

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
RE: first relevant pub was 199027-05-2023 18:29
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
My first publication that is directly relevant to this thread was in 1990.

I hadn't yet finished a master's degree at UC Berkeley.

John G. McColl et. al. 1990. Organics and metal solubility in California forest soils. P. 178-195. IN Gessel, SP, et al. (eds). Sustained Productivity of Forest Soils. Proc. 7th N. American Forest Soils Conference.

In this case, I was merely "allowed" to be on the list of authors.

Note that the term "organics" is in the title.

The paper does not bother to give a definition for this commonly used term.

Scientists don't do that.

The book title "Sustained Productivity of Forest Soils" suggests why a rational adult might agree that it is a subject worthy of pursuit.

It is very gratifying to see all the research that followed, which has enabled farmers to improve soil fertility and foresters to improve productivity.

This particular paper included the NSF-funded research into how acid rain impacted forest soils.

In particular, the low pH of acid rain reduced the solubility of phenol carboxylic acids leaching from the forest floor.

Because the protonation of these organic acids by acid rain reduced the availability of soluble organic anions, it reduced the amount of iron, aluminum, and manganese leaching from the upper mineral soil.

Instead, calcium and magnesium were being mobilized as sulfates or nitrates, which then leached out of the soil. Without acid rain, calcium and magnesium were retained against leaching by the soil's cation exchange capacity (CEC).

Sooner or later, someone who is genuinely interested in this thread topic might take interest.
27-05-2023 22:01
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Im a BM wrote:

John G. McColl et. al. 1990. Organics and metal solubility in California forest soils. P. 178-195. IN Gessel, SP, et al. (eds). Sustained Productivity of Forest Soils. Proc. 7th N. American Forest Soils Conference.

The book title "Sustained Productivity of Forest Soils" suggests why a rational adult might agree that it is a subject worthy of pursuit.

It is very gratifying to see all the research that followed, which has enabled farmers to improve soil fertility and foresters to improve productivity.

This particular paper included the NSF-funded research into how acid rain impacted forest soils.

In particular, the low pH of acid rain reduced the solubility of phenol carboxylic acids leaching from the forest floor.

Because the protonation of these organic acids by acid rain reduced the availability of soluble organic anions, it reduced the amount of iron, aluminum, and manganese leaching from the upper mineral soil.

Instead, calcium and magnesium were being mobilized as sulfates or nitrates, which then leached out of the soil. Without acid rain, calcium and magnesium were retained against leaching by the soil's cation exchange capacity (CEC).

Sooner or later, someone who is genuinely interested in this thread topic might take interest.

LOL, so you are so dumb that you need a masters degree to post drivel here.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You may resume fingerpainting now

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

28-05-2023 04:28
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21592)
Im a BM wrote:

...deleted Holy Quote...

Define 'organics'.
Im a BM wrote:

Yes they do. They specifically define every term.
Im a BM wrote:

Forests are productive. There are trees in it, you know.
Im a BM wrote:

Farmers improve soil fertility by applying fertilizer, sometimes real shit. Forests are productive.
Im a BM wrote:
...deleted random Holy Quotes...

Quoting random shit doesn't make you smart. It only means you just cut and paste to boost your ego.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
28-05-2023 13:16
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:

...deleted Holy Quote...

Define 'organics'.
Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Farmers improve soil fertility by applying fertilizer, sometimes real shit. Forests are productive.
Im a BM wrote:

Quoting random shit doesn't make you smart. It only means you just cut and paste to boost your ego.

Says the cut and paste queen

ULTRA MAGA

28-05-2023 21:16
(21592)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:

...deleted Holy Quote...

Define 'organics'.
Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Hallucination.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
28-05-2023 21:41
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:

...deleted Holy Quote...

Define 'organics'.
Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Hallucination.

Your schizophrenia will do that

ULTRA MAGA

RE: My tropical rain forest soil research pub29-05-2023 08:45
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Sooner or later, someone who is actually interested in the thread topic will join in.

This paper includes my soil research in a tropical rain forest.

(yours truly et al). 1999. Effect of plant polyphenols on nutrient cycling and implications for community structure. p. 369-380. In Inderjit (ed) Principles and Practices in Chemical Ecology. Allelochemical Interactions. CRC Press.

This one is highly relevant to carbon sequestration.

Monospecific thickets of tannin-rich ferns move into disturbed rain forest sites
after pioneer species have already moved in.

They snuff out the competition ("Allelochemical Interactions") and then impede forest succession for decades.

They sequester tons of carbon into a surface organic layer more than a meter thick. Under warm, wet, well drained conditions that ought to favor rapid decomposition.

There are many different kinds of soil that can be found under tropical rain forests. Most are not so fertile. Some are extremely infertile. Some are highly fertile. It basically depends on soil age and parent material, since tropical rain forests all occur under basically the same climate regime.

Understanding of the biogeochemical mechanisms that enable plant communities to survive and thrive on the most infertile soils has enabled agronomists and foresters to improve fertility and productivity across a broad range of soil types.

Going to dig up some references to how this has already benefitted farmers and foresters, even though most of the papers make no reference to climate change.

Plus, it's kind of fun because the easiest way to find them is to look up who has cited my research and how they have applied it.
29-05-2023 12:58
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Im a BM wrote:
Sooner or later, someone who is actually interested in the thread topic will join in.

(yours truly et al). 1999. Effect of plant polyphenols on nutrient cycling and implications for community structure. p. 369-380. In Inderjit (ed) Principles and Practices in Chemical Ecology. Allelochemical Interactions. CRC Press.

Monospecific thickets of tannin-rich ferns move into disturbed rain forest sites

They snuff out the competition ("Allelochemical Interactions") and then impede forest succession for decades.

They sequester tons of carbon into a surface organic layer more than a meter thick. Under warm, wet, well drained conditions that ought to favor rapid decomposition.

There are many different kinds of soil that can be found under tropical rain forests. Most are not so fertile. Some are extremely infertile. Some are highly fertile. It basically depends on soil age and parent material, since tropical rain forests all occur under basically the same climate regime.

Understanding of the biogeochemical mechanisms that enable plant communities to survive and thrive on the most infertile soils has enabled agronomists and foresters to improve fertility and productivity across a broad range of soil types.

Going to dig up some references to how this has already benefitted farmers and foresters, even though most of the papers make no reference to climate change.

Plus, it's kind of fun because the easiest way to find them is to look up who has cited my research and how they have applied it.

Yea perhaps Al Gore will awaken from his drug induced coma and start babbling about CO2 again

ULTRA MAGA

29-05-2023 19:50
(21592)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:

...deleted Holy Quote...

Define 'organics'.
Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Hallucination.

Your...
Mantra 1d.

The Parrot Killer

29-05-2023 19:51
(21592)
Im a BM wrote:

You just locked yourself in several paradoxes. You cannot say a soil is fertile and infertile at the same time.

The Parrot Killer

29-05-2023 23:42
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:

...deleted Holy Quote...

Define 'organics'.
Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Hallucination.

Your...
Mantra 1d.

You have learned well, that you only embarrass yourself when you argue.

LOL

ULTRA MAGA

30-05-2023 00:13
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14395)
Im a BM wrote:This one is highly relevant to carbon sequestration.

Would you mind providing your definitions (for discussion) for the following terms?:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
tannin-rich ferns (as opposed to tannin-deficient)
pioneer species
Allelochemical Interactions
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.
biogeochemical mechanisms

Thank you.
30-05-2023 00:23
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
IBdaMann wrote:

Would you mind providing your definitions (for discussion) for the following terms?:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
pioneer species
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.

Thank you.

Well a biogeochemical system is when you urinate the urine is evaporated into a cloud where it falls again as rain, which you eventually drink, then piss it out and the cycle continues. Kinda cool actually knowing that every drop of water that you have ever consumed was once urine.

Any more questions sherlock?

ULTRA MAGA

RE: This thread topic is genuine30-05-2023 10:48
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
sealover wrote:
Nutrient cycling dynamics of natural ecosystems can be mimicked in cropping systems to maximize carbon sequestration into soil organic matter, and minimize emissions of nitrous oxide. Tannin (aka polyphenol) chemical ecology provides insights into biogeochemical mechanisms that regulate carbon and nitrogen cycling.

The convergent evolution of tannin-rich plant communities has occurred on highly-infertile soils throughout the world. To acquire and conserve nitrogen, these plants allocate much of their organic carbon below ground to support symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi associated with their roots. Tannins in plant litter form recalcitrant complexes with protein, immobilizing this organic form of nitrogen and preventing mineralization. Mycorrhizal fungi produce enzymes that mobilize nitrogen from protein-tannin complexes, which is transferred directly to the root in organic nitrogen form. This short circuiting of the mineralization step in the nitrogen cycle prevents emission of nitrous oxide to the atmosphere, and prevents export of nitrate to groundwater or surface water. Allocation of photosynthate below ground to support mycorrhizal fungi also enhances sequestration of carbon into soil organic matter.

Tannins inhibit the oxidation of ammonium in soil to nitrate by nitrifying bacteria. This minimizes nitrous oxide emission as a by product of microbial nitrate reduction. Nitrogen release from tannin-rich litter is predominantly in the form of dissolved organic nitrogen rather than ammonium or nitrate. Dissolved organic nitrogen adsorbs to soil organic matter, minimizing leaching loss of nitrogen and retaining it in slow release form.

Tannins inhibit the decomposition of organic matter to substantially increase its mean residence in or above the soil. In the most extreme cases, equatorial rainforests form massive litter layers over acid white sand soils that are virtually devoid of nutrients or roots. One- or two-meters thick layers of litter in various stages of decomposition can accumulate above the mineral soil surface. This is despite warm, wet, well drained conditions that favor rapid decomposition. Exceptionally high tannin content in the vegetation of these forests enables them to create an enduring layer of organic matter above the soil surface, where virtually all the root growth and nutrient cycling occurs with high efficiency, and negligible losses.

Tannins themselves are the dominant substrate that transforms into soil humic acids. Humic acids enhance soil fertility in many ways, and their mean residence time in soil can be many centuries long. Tannins can comprise more than half the dry weight in foliage of tannin-rich species, and much of this represents sequestered carbon that will remain for a long time as stable soil organic matter.

We may not want to create thick litter layers above the topsoil in all our croplands. But polyphenol biogeochemistry can still be applied to increase carbon sequestration and decrease nitrous oxide emission. For example, tannin-rich organic matter can be combined with more rapidly decomposable crop residues or manure to slow decomposition and immobilize nitrogen into slowly mineralized organic form, as compost. Crop-mycorrhizal associations could be facilitated to sequester carbon and access recalcitrant soil nitrogen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sooner or later, someone who has genuine interest in learning about the topic of this thread will see it.
30-05-2023 17:44
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Im a BM wrote:
sealover wrote:
Nutrient cycling dynamics of natural ecosystems can be mimicked in cropping systems to maximize carbon sequestration into soil organic matter, and minimize emissions of nitrous oxide. Tannin (aka polyphenol) chemical ecology provides insights into biogeochemical mechanisms that regulate carbon and nitrogen cycling.

The convergent evolution of tannin-rich plant communities has occurred on highly-infertile soils throughout the world. To acquire and conserve nitrogen, these plants allocate much of their organic carbon below ground to support symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi associated with their roots. Tannins in plant litter form recalcitrant complexes with protein, immobilizing this organic form of nitrogen and preventing mineralization. Mycorrhizal fungi produce enzymes that mobilize nitrogen from protein-tannin complexes, which is transferred directly to the root in organic nitrogen form. This short circuiting of the mineralization step in the nitrogen cycle prevents emission of nitrous oxide to the atmosphere, and prevents export of nitrate to groundwater or surface water. Allocation of photosynthate below ground to support mycorrhizal fungi also enhances sequestration of carbon into soil organic matter.

Tannins inhibit the oxidation of ammonium in soil to nitrate by nitrifying bacteria. This minimizes nitrous oxide emission as a by product of microbial nitrate reduction. Nitrogen release from tannin-rich litter is predominantly in the form of dissolved organic nitrogen rather than ammonium or nitrate. Dissolved organic nitrogen adsorbs to soil organic matter, minimizing leaching loss of nitrogen and retaining it in slow release form.

Tannins inhibit the decomposition of organic matter to substantially increase its mean residence in or above the soil. In the most extreme cases, equatorial rainforests form massive litter layers over acid white sand soils that are virtually devoid of nutrients or roots. One- or two-meters thick layers of litter in various stages of decomposition can accumulate above the mineral soil surface. This is despite warm, wet, well drained conditions that favor rapid decomposition. Exceptionally high tannin content in the vegetation of these forests enables them to create an enduring layer of organic matter above the soil surface, where virtually all the root growth and nutrient cycling occurs with high efficiency, and negligible losses.

Tannins themselves are the dominant substrate that transforms into soil humic acids. Humic acids enhance soil fertility in many ways, and their mean residence time in soil can be many centuries long. Tannins can comprise more than half the dry weight in foliage of tannin-rich species, and much of this represents sequestered carbon that will remain for a long time as stable soil organic matter.

We may not want to create thick litter layers above the topsoil in all our croplands. But polyphenol biogeochemistry can still be applied to increase carbon sequestration and decrease nitrous oxide emission. For example, tannin-rich organic matter can be combined with more rapidly decomposable crop residues or manure to slow decomposition and immobilize nitrogen into slowly mineralized organic form, as compost. Crop-mycorrhizal associations could be facilitated to sequester carbon and access recalcitrant soil nitrogen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sooner or later, someone who has genuine interest in learning about the topic of this thread will see it.

How would that happen since this is a clandestine private network?

ULTRA MAGA

30-05-2023 18:28
(14395)
Swan wrote:How would that happen since this is a clandestine private network?

It will happen in conjunction with the FBI interviews.
30-05-2023 18:53
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
IBdaMann wrote:

LOL, the fact is that if this were a real climate board that new people would be joining literally every day, instead of one new member every ten years.

You may continue fingerpainting

ULTRA MAGA

30-05-2023 21:21
(14395)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

LOL, the fact is that if this were a real climate board that new people would be joining literally every day, instead of one new member every ten years.

The FBI already completed the background investigation for this site, so it's a real site. Newcomers without the proper clearance can't access it, so it keeps the riff-raff away, ... well, most of it anyway.

If only this site were run on a quantum computer at ten million times the speed of light then all of the riff-raff would be kept at bay. But then again, all of the riff-raff will just find ways to run on quantum computers at ten million times the speed of light ... and they would get in no matter what was done.
30-05-2023 22:19
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The FBI already completed the background investigation for this site, so it's a real site. Newcomers without the proper clearance can't access it, so it keeps the riff-raff away, ... well, most of it anyway.

If only this site were run on a quantum computer at ten million times the speed of light then all of the riff-raff would be kept at bay. But then again, all of the riff-raff will just find ways to run on quantum computers at ten million times the speed of light ... and they would get in no matter what was done.

Facebook is a real site. According to Brandwatch, Facebook adds over 500,000 new user accounts every day, which equals 6 new profiles every second. Additionally, Facebook's current daily active user growth rate is around 7.8% year-over-year

This ass-hole of the net hasn't had 6 new profiles in the last ten years.

But then this Agency page is on top double secret probation. At least according to Dean Wormer.

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 30-05-2023 22:21
30-05-2023 22:45
(21592)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:

...deleted Holy Quote...

Define 'organics'.
Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Hallucination.

Your...
Mantra 1d.

You...
Mantra 40a.

The Parrot Killer

30-05-2023 22:46
(21592)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
pioneer species
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.

Thank you.

Well...
Mantra 40a.

The Parrot Killer

30-05-2023 22:47
(21592)
Im a BM wrote:
sealover wrote:
*spam*

Sooner...
Spamming.

The Parrot Killer

30-05-2023 23:49
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
pioneer species
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.

Thank you.

Well...
Mantra 40a.

Do you enjoy spamming?

ULTRA MAGA

RE: You must be THIS tall to get on ride31-05-2023 01:21
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
pioneer species
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amusement parks, fairs, and carnivals have hired personnel to ensure that kids who are too small don't get on the scary rides.

There is often a sign that says, "You must be THIS tall to ride", with a mark showing the minimum height requirement.

There is nobody at this website to protect the smallest ones from going on the big scary rides.

Someone who doesn't even know the definition of "organic carbon" isn't going to be able to make much sense of this thread topic. They will have little or no knowledge of value to contribute. They won't even know how to ask an intelligent question in many cases.

One thing that real scientists in the real world do is learn the definitions of terms as part of their basic training. They learn how to find the definitions without having to ask somebody. They don't get far if they cannot do this.

Too much remedial education would be required, and I am not willing to "dumb down" my posts to compensate.

If it is all just "gibber babble" and "buzzwords" anyway, none of the words actually mean anything. Or they mean whatever anyone wants them to mean.

"Fossil fuel", for example. Most people with some minimal education and literacy understand that "fossil fuel" refers to petroleum, coal, and natural gas found in underground deposits. End of discussion.

Word games are certainly possible.

Perhaps one of the only substances that truly qualifies for the word game definition of "fossil fuel" is petrified wood.

It began as fuel (wood) that got buried by volcanic ash or mud.

It was fossilized when the original organic carbon all got replaced by silica.

But don't expect anyone to stop calling petroleum, coal, and natural gas "fossil fuel"

And don't expect anyone to try to burn petrified wood just because it technically qualifies as "fossil fuel", according to some stupid word game.

Don't try to redefine lignin as a carbohydrate because it depends only on "Who owns the English language" around a non-chemistry term such as "fiber".

Don't try to get on this ride if your scientific education isn't tall enough.

Maybe you should first learn how to use a dictionary. Or "go and learn some science" from a textbook. Maybe even take an actual classroom course in science.

I can't imagine why someone who doesn't already have a pretty good idea what "carbon sequestration" is would even want to look at this thread.

Let alone, preach in an endless series of numbingly repetitive posts, with plenty of insults and false accusations thrown in for fun.

This stuff is not for the intellectually challenged.
31-05-2023 05:55
(21592)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
pioneer species
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.

Thank you.

Well...
Mantra 40a.

Do ...
Mantra 40a.

The Parrot Killer

31-05-2023 06:06
(21592)
Im a BM wrote:
Amusement parks, fairs, and carnivals have hired personnel to ensure that kids who are too small don't get on the scary rides.

No. It's to make sure that height and weight limits are observed for the ride. It has nothing to do with how 'scary' it is.
Im a BM wrote:
There is often a sign that says, "You must be THIS tall to ride", with a mark showing the minimum height requirement.

Because the restraining devices do not work for anyone shorter than that mark.
Im a BM wrote:
There is nobody at this website to protect the smallest ones from going on the big scary rides.

There are no height or weight requirements to be on this site.
Im a BM wrote:
Someone who doesn't even know the definition of "organic carbon"

There is no such thing as 'organic carbon'.
Im a BM wrote:
isn't going to be able to make much sense of this thread topic.

There currently is no thread topic. Just your random ranting.
Im a BM wrote:
They will have little or no knowledge of value to contribute. They won't even know how to ask an intelligent question in many cases.

There is no need to ask any question other than to define your terms.
Im a BM wrote:
One thing that real scientists in the real world

True Scotsman fallacy. Buzzword fallacy. Learn what 'real' means and how it's defined.
Im a BM wrote:
do is learn the definitions of terms as part of their basic training. They learn how to find the definitions without having to ask somebody. They don't get far if they cannot do this.

A scientist that cannot define his terms is useless.
Im a BM wrote:
Too much remedial education would be required, and I am not willing to "dumb down" my posts to compensate.

Then you refuse to define your terms. You would rather just use meaningless buzzwords.
Im a BM wrote:
If it is all just "gibber babble" and "buzzwords" anyway, none of the words actually mean anything. Or they mean whatever anyone wants them to mean.

Buzzwords have no meaning.
Im a BM wrote:
"Fossil fuel", for example.

Fossils are not used for fuel. Fossils do not burn.
Im a BM wrote:
Most people with some minimal education and literacy understand that "fossil fuel" refers to petroleum, coal, and natural gas found in underground deposits. End of discussion.

Petroleum is not a fossil. Coal is not a fossil. Natural gas is not a fossil.
Im a BM wrote:
Word games are certainly possible.

And you like to play them.
Im a BM wrote:
Perhaps one of the only substances that truly qualifies for the word game definition of "fossil fuel" is petrified wood.

Petrified wood doesn't burn. It is not fuel.
Im a BM wrote:
It began as fuel (wood) that got buried by volcanic ash or mud.

It is not fuel.
Im a BM wrote:
But don't expect anyone to stop calling petroleum, coal, and natural gas "fossil fuel"

None of them are fossils. Fossils aren't used as fuel.
Im a BM wrote:
And don't expect anyone to try to burn petrified wood just because it technically qualifies as "fossil fuel", according to some stupid word game.

No one is expecting to burn a fossil for fuel.
Im a BM wrote:
Don't try to redefine lignin as a carbohydrate

Lignin is a carbohydrate.
Im a BM wrote:
because it depends only on "Who owns the English language" around a non-chemistry term such as "fiber".

No. Lignin is a carbohydrate. It is the chemistry term for it.
Im a BM wrote:
Don't try to get on this ride if your scientific education isn't tall enough.

So you don't qualify. Noted.
Im a BM wrote:
Maybe you should first learn how to use a dictionary.

Dictionaries do not define any word. That is not their purpose.
Im a BM wrote:
Or "go and learn some science" from a textbook.

Science isn't a book.
Im a BM wrote:
Maybe even take an actual classroom course in science.

Science isn't a course.
Im a BM wrote:
I can't imagine why someone who doesn't already have a pretty good idea what "carbon sequestration" is would even want to look at this thread.

Define 'carbon sequestration'.
Im a BM wrote:
Let alone, preach in an endless series of numbingly repetitive posts, with plenty of insults and false accusations thrown in for fun.

Inversion fallacy.
Im a BM wrote:
This stuff is not for the intellectually challenged.

So not you. Gotit.

The Parrot Killer

31-05-2023 12:48
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
pioneer species
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.

Thank you.

Well...
Mantra 40a.

Do ...
Mantra 40a.

Do you ever dream of having something better to do with your life than being a spammer?

ULTRA MAGA

31-05-2023 17:36
(14395)
Of course, I anticipated your angle of attack, i.e. that your failure to define your terms was somehow my fault, so I tried (unsuccessfully) to redirect:

Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
pioneer species
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.

Thank you.

Im a BM wrote:Someone who doesn't even know the definition of "organic carbon" isn't going to be able to make much sense of this thread topic.

There are no commonly understood "the definitions" when you are on tap to provide "your definitions".

I have already explained this to you. The terms you use might differ from the terms used by others. In the eyes of others who use different terminology, or perhaps understand the concepts through terms in another language, you are the one who doesn't know "the" definitions. When you are asked to provide "your" definitions, you are shutting down the discussion by refusing.

I get it that you were out saving the world from hexavalent chromium and the great disappearing alkalinity through mangroves and gamma-specs, and in so doing you learned a particular vocabulary. I can only speak for myself but I learned a different vocabulary. Rather than berate you for not knowing/using my "the definitions" I am politely requesting that you define "your definitions."

Im a BM wrote:One thing that real scientists in the real world do is learn the definitions of terms as part of their basic training.

Real scientists learn all the "their definitions" wherever they go if they want to keep their jobs. When the guy who signs the paychecks asks for definitions and explanations, you can bet that the definitions and explanations flow immediately, clearly and comprehensively ... and all follow-on questions are answered. Real scientists keep their jobs. Real scientists are used to answering questions, providing definitions, clarifying contexts and developing visualizations .

Needless to say, career academics who only role-play as scientists for captive audiences of students are not real scientists. Academics need to present the appearance of "knowing what they are talking about", whether or not that is actually true. Unfortunately, academics don't answer to anyone and thus become lazy and complacent. They don't venture outside their little academic bubbles into the real world where everything is results-oriented and where they need to support the people who created their jobs in the first place. The real world doesn't offer tenure. The real world demands added value. If you won't even add value by defining your terms, don't be surprised if the real world dismisses you outright and kicks you to the curb.

Im a BM wrote: Too much remedial education would be required, and I am not willing to "dumb down" my posts to compensate.

* No education is required to accompany your definitions.
* Your subject matter would actually be simple and straightforward if it weren't shrouded in confusion by a lack of definitions. I hope you don't consider clarifying your point and making it understandable to be "dumbing it down."

So, would you mind providing your definitions (for discussion) for the following terms?:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
pioneer species
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.

Thank you.

Im a BM wrote: "Fossil fuel", for example. Most people with some minimal education and literacy understand that "fossil fuel" refers to petroleum, coal, and natural gas found in underground deposits.

But wait! Aren't you claiming to have some modicum of chemistry background? Who could possibly take you seriously if your understanding of chemistry is no better than that of common layman's misunderstanding? How could you be taken seriously if you are referring to petroleum and natural gas as "fossils"? How can you claim to be operating off "the definitions" when you don't know that the correct term is "hydrocarbons" and instead believe that the correct term is "fossils"? How can you be taken seriously as a chemist when you casually conflate carbon with hydrocarbons to the point that you put them in the same category?

I'll answer that for you: You can't possibly be taken seriously. Hydrocarbons and carbon are not the same thing. How do you not know this? How do pretend to put them in the same category under the justification that that is exactly what mistaken laymen do? ... unless, of course, you are a mistaken layman yourself and you are just doing what mistaken laymen do.

Seriously, how do you account for confusing hydrocarbons with fossils, believing that fossils are somehow burned as fuel, or that carbon and hydrocarbons are somehow the same thing? You are the one who is pouting about definitions, but as you refuse to define your terms, it becomes more and more self-evident that you don't define your terms because you don't understand the terms you use and you are desperate for an excuse to blame any/all confusion on someone else.

The good news is that this can be fixed in one post. Just define your terms and we can move forward.

Im a BM wrote: But don't expect [any mistaken laymen] to stop calling petroleum, coal, and natural gas "fossil fuel"

I totally get it. What are you going to call hydrocarbons? What are you going to call carbon?

Im a BM wrote: And don't expect anyone to try to burn petrified wood just because it technically qualifies as "fossil fuel"

Petrified wood cannot be burned as fuel and thus does not qualify as "fuel" and thus does not qualify as "fossil fuel."

Im a BM wrote: Don't try to redefine lignin as a carbohydrate because it depends only on "Who owns the English language" around a non-chemistry term such as "fiber".

Now you are contradicting yourself. Many laymen classify lignin as fiber which they casually include as a "carbohydrate" ... just as casually as they might use the term "fossil fuel." Are you saying that laymen are not correct for mistakenly using the wrong terms or are you saying that they are totally correct for doing so?

Im a BM wrote: Don't try to get on this ride if your scientific education isn't tall enough.

The litmus test is whether you know that hydrocarbons are not carbon and know enough not to place them in the same category. One also has to know what a fossil is. One also has to know what fuel is.

I passed the test, by the way, and I can get on the rides.

Im a BM wrote: Maybe you should first learn how to use a dictionary.

Perhaps you should learn that dictionaries are not chemistry textbooks, although now I'm beginning to understand why you don't seem to know what basic chemists should have learned in their first year of studies.

Dictionaries provide usages for words, correct or otherwise. Dictionaries don't provide definitions. No dictionary owns the English language and thus no dictionary gets to define any words.

Im a BM wrote: I can't imagine why someone who doesn't already have a pretty good idea what "carbon sequestration" is would even want to look at this thread.

This is a good example of how you are not using the commonly accepted definition. "Carbon sequestration" refers to pulling carbon dioxide out of something, not infusing carbon into something. This is a prime example of where you should have opened with your definition of "carbon sequestration" and avoided exactly this sort of confusion.

One has to wonder if you even know what "carbons sequestration" means.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:08
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
There is a tiny chance that someone other than an Internet troll will read this.

Carbon sequestration and nitrogen cycling are very important regarding climate change.

Polyphenols and lignin are very important regarding carbon sequestration and nitrogen cycling.

My most famous scientific paper was published in the journal Nature, in 1995.

It has been cited in 765 different peer-reviewed scientific papers and textbooks.

It includes lignin research and proves that lignin is NOT the most important regulator of nitrogen cycling.

The paper: Polyphenol control of nitrogen release from pine litter.
1995. Nature. Volume 377. Pages 227-229.

Quoting from Figure 2 - "...and lignin was measured by the acid detergent method (reference #30). Regressions of these parameters versus the ratio of DON:mineral nitrogen were as follows: Condensed tannins (r2 = 0.99, p = <0.001), total phenolics (r2 = 0.90, p = <0.001), C:N ratio (r2 = 0.76, p = <0.001), and lignin (not significant)."

In the pine litter samples studied, lignin ranged from 20-40%. But release of mineral nitrogen was not significantly correlated to lignin. However, it was highly significantly correlated to condensed tannin and total phenolic content.

Scientists in the real world who know what lignin is and study it took this very seriously.

It has been known for more than a century that lignin can form strong complexes with protein. These ligno protein complexes are very difficult for microorganisms to degrade. Release of mineral nitrogen from them is slow.

Lignin can also form strong complexes with carbohydrates. These lignin-carbohydrate complexes are a common component of cell walls, where all the lignin is found.

The acid detergent method separates all carbohydrates from lignin-carbohydrate complexes, dissolving the saccharide and leaving behind the lignin as insoluble residue.

Note: for a one-word unambiguous definition of carbohydrate, use "saccharide".

All carbohydrates are saccharides, and all saccharides are carbohydrates.

Mono saccharides include glucose and fructose.

Di saccharides include sucrose (glucose + fructose) and lactose (glucose + galactose).

Oligosaccharides include starch and cellulose, as well as hemi celluloses.

All saccharides dissolve in acid detergent. Lignin is not a carbohydrate.

For decades ecologists had debated whether or not carbon:nitrogen ratio or lignin was a better predictor for nitrogen release from decomposing organic matter.

My 1995 paper in Nature blew it wide open.

It is still possible someone that will join the website who wants to discuss this kind of real world science as it applies to climate change.

IBdaMann wrote:
There's no reason an honest person can't learn what "climate change" means if he has forgotten how to use a dictionary.

There's no reason an honest person can't learn what lignin is, or learn about the sulfate reduction process.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:09
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
]Into the Night wrote:.

Lignin is a carbohydrate.

Plant cell walls don't contain lignin.

Lignin is a complex polymer comprised primarily of aromatic phenols. It is a structural component found in the cell walls of woody plants. It can form strong complexes with carbohydrates and proteins

Ecologists have long been interested in what lignin does when it gets into the soil. The nitrogen bound in protein tannin complexes is difficult for microorganisms to mineralize, and this nitrogen cycles very slowly.

Ecologists also long believed that lignin was the primary source of humic acids in soil, responsible for producing stable organic matter with centuries long mean residence time.

My (1995) paper in Nature was the first to show that lignin wasn't necessarily the most important regulator to influence nitrogen cycling. Plenty of lignin research cited it, but the paper was only a few pages long. Minimal lignin discussion.

My (1998) paper in Biogeochemistry has a great more detail about lignin.

1998. Polyphenols as regulators of plant-litter-soil interactions...
Biogeochemistry. Volume 42 pages 189-220.

It has been cited in 456 different peer-reviewed scientific papers or textbooks.

31 pages long, it includes extensive discussion about lignin.

And it is highly relevant to the topic of this thread.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:10
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
Among the papers that cited the 1998 Biogeochemistry paper, this is one of the ones I am most proud to have influenced.

It is highly relevant to the thread topic.

Claire Chenu et al. 2019. Increasing organic stocks in agricultural soils: Knowledge gaps and potential innovations. Soil and Tillage Research.
Volume 188 Pages 41-52.

This paper has been cited in 433 different peer-reviewed papers, etc., and will likely pick up a whole lot more in the next few years.

One day someone might view this who is interested in this topic.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:11
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
This paper just came out two days ago.

Sven Korz et al. 2023. Effect of grape pomace varieties and soil characteristics on the leaching potential of total carbon, nitrogen, and polyphenols. Soil Systems. Volume 7(2) page 49-

Quite relevant to the thread topic.

Using different varieties of grape pomace as fertilizer, they tracked the movement of total carbon, nitrogen, and polyphenols.

Enriching soil organic carbon content and providing nitrogen fertilizer to the crop.

They cited yours truly because my discovery enabled them to make sense of the results.

They found that hydrolysable tannins (polyphenols) penetrated to more than 10 cm depth into the top soil.

While the grape pomace added more organic nitrogen to the soil, the quantity of mineral nitrogen (ammonium or nitrate) leaching out of that zone DECREASED.

They concluded that, as per my hypothesis, polyphenols bound up protein that was already in the soil, reducing the ability of microorganisms to mineralize it.

The point of all the bragging is in case a viewer who has genuine interest in the thread topic wants to discuss it further, they will know that the active members of this website are not EXCLUSIVELY comprised of scientifically illiterate trolls.

Organic nitrogen, versus mineral nitrogen is an important concept.

Organic nitrogen is bound to carbon atoms. Not just any carbon atoms.

Organic nitrogen is bound to atoms of organic carbon.

Ammonium carbonate, for example, is nitrogen bound to carbon. But that carbon is inorganic. Fully oxidized. Ammonium carbonate is mineral nitrogen.

Urea H2N-C=O-NH2, Doesn't look clear here, but it is two amino groups bound to a carbonyl carbon. Carbonyl carbon is double bonded to oxygen. Kind of a gray area in terms of not being COMPLETELY oxidized carbon, but urea is not organic nitrogen.

Proteins and amino acids are organic forms of nitrogen.

The term "organic carbon" is clearly defined in any organic chemistry textbook.

Inorganic carbon is fully oxidized forms of carbon - carbon dioxide, bicarbonate ion, and carbonate ion.

Organic carbon is the thousands of OTHER carbon compounds that are in chemically reduced form.

Organic carbon becomes inorganic carbon as soon as it oxidizes.

Inorganic carbon becomes organic carbon as soon as it gets reduced. Such as during photosynthesis.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:12
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
Another publication came out earlier this year, citing yours truly, and making the connection between plant-litter-soil interactions and climate change.

U. Schickhoff et al. 2023. The treeline ecotone in Rolwaling Himal, Nepal: Pattern-process relationships and treeline shift potential. IN Singh, S.P. et al. (eds) Ecology of Himalayan Treeline Ecotone. pages 95-145.

This is about the fact that the Himalayan treeline is moving uphill to higher altitude, and efforts to identify variables to better predict future changes.

Global warming is occurring more rapidly at the highest latitudes and the highest altitudes.

"Warming trends across Nepal have increased to 0.2 degrees C per decade"

This rate is a bit higher than the global average.

"The treeline position in Rowling is lagging behind climate changes"

Soils have already warmed enough that should permit tree growth at much higher altitude than before. The treeline has already moved to higher altitude, but not as rapidly as soil temperatures would predict.

This is most notable where rhododendron thickets ("krummholz") occur above the treeline.

And then it gets back to vegetation chemistry and the influence of polyphenols on the cycling of carbon and nitrogen, as well as the thermal insulation properties of the accumulated rhododendron litter layer.

The trees are going to have to wait a while longer before they can move on up into these areas where rhododendron forms thick insulating litter layers and nitrogen is tied up in forms for which their ericoid mycorrhizal fungi have a competitive acquisition advantage.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:13
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
Another good reference for the thread topic.

Needless to say, they acknowledge my scientific discoveries with a citation.

And that isn't to taunt the trolls.

It is in the hope that this will be taken seriously by someone who is interested in the topic. And perhaps would never join the discussion, or even read any of the other posts, without knowing that there is a participant who doesn't have to just make shit up about science.

It is an excellent review article of many different investigations, in the highly respected peer-reviewed scientific journal called Agronomy. (2021)

Alexandra Tiefenbacher et al. 2021. Optimizing carbon sequestration in croplands: A synthesis. Agronomy. Volume 11(5) Pages 882-

The paper speaks for itself. The title speaks for itself.

Someone who takes genuine interest in the topic indicated by the thread title would want to read this. Whether they join the discussion or not.

Others who have no genuine interest in the thread topic are allowed to just give it the silent treatment. It is okay to ignore this thread.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:14
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
This paper, which refers to "organic carbon" in the title, came out earlier this year.

Meisam Nazari et al. 2023. Keeping thinning-derived deadwood logs on forest floor improves soil organic carbon, microbial biomass, and enzyme activity in a temperate spruce forest. European Journal of Forest Research. Volume 142. Pages 287-300.

Yeah, they cited me.

Apparently, the authors, reviewers, and publishers all agreed that it made sense to use the term "organic carbon" in the title. Maybe organic carbon really does exist, despite the fact that "carbon is an element."

This paper is about forest management, not croplands. As per the thread title, these are agroecosystems.

This paper is not based on climate change or concern about atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide.

It is about soil productivity and its dependence on organic carbon.

It is about preventing loss of soil organic carbon in order to avoid loss of loss of forest productivity.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:15
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:This paper, which refers to "organic carbon" in the title, came out earlier this year.

Meisam Nazari et al. 2023. Keeping thinning-derived deadwood logs on forest floor improves soil organic carbon, microbial biomass, and enzyme activity in a temperate spruce forest. European Journal of Forest Research. Volume 142. Pages 287-300.

Does it have the same effect in other-than-spruce forests, or forests that are not temperate?

Im a BM wrote:
(Northup et al. 1998;Thomas and Hargrove 1984).
Northup RR, Dahlgren RA, McColl JG (1998) Polyphenols as regulators of plantlitter-soil interactions in northern California's
pygmy forest: a positive feedback? Biogeochemistry 42:189–220.

Yeah, they cited me.

The effect is consistent with what is seen throughout the world on podzol soils.

In this case, what is growing on the podzol happens to be spruce.

Podzols can be found from the equator to Siberia. Indeed, the term "podzol" is from the early Russian soil scientists.

Podzols form under humid conditions when the soil parent material is of very high silica content. Metal complexing organic acids leaching out of the forest floor strip away what little aluminum, iron, and manganese was present in the uppermost part of the mineral soil. This leaves behind an acidified white sand layer of nearly pure quartz. Roots don't even try to get nutrients from this layer.

Podzols are very vulnerable to poor management. For example, when subjected to slash and burn agriculture, they rapidly diminish in productivity, as they rapidly lose the organic carbon from the soil. It is difficult to restore productivity after the soil nutrients, which were scarce in the first place, are lost along with the organic carbon.

By leaving the slash from tree thinning operations on the soil surface, they dramatically improved retention of organic carbon and associated nutrients in the underlying soil.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:16
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:This paper, which refers to "organic carbon" in the title, came out earlier this year.

Does it have the same effect in other-than-spruce forests, or forests that are not temperate?

Im a BM wrote:
(Northup et al. 1998;Thomas and Hargrove 1984).
Northup RR, Dahlgren RA, McColl JG (1998) Polyphenols as regulators of plantlitter-soil interactions in northern California's
pygmy forest: a positive feedback? Biogeochemistry 42:189–220.

Yeah, they cited me.

The effect is consistent with what is seen throughout the world on podzol soils.

In this case, what is growing on the podzol happens to be spruce.

Podzols can be found from the equator to Siberia. Indeed, the term "podzol" is from the early Russian soil scientists.

Podzols form under humid conditions when the soil parent material is of very high silica content. Metal complexing organic acids leaching out of the forest floor strip away what little aluminum, iron, and manganese was present in the uppermost part of the mineral soil. This leaves behind an acidified white sand layer of nearly pure quartz. Roots don't even try to get nutrients from this layer.

Podzols are very vulnerable to poor management. For example, when subjected to slash and burn agriculture, they rapidly diminish in productivity, as they rapidly lose the organic carbon from the soil. It is difficult to restore productivity after the soil nutrients, which were scarce in the first place, are lost along with the organic carbon.

By leaving the slash from tree thinning operations on the soil surface, they dramatically improved retention of organic carbon and associated nutrients in the underlying soil.

Did you know that some of the poorest soils are in the tropical rain forests? It's all up in the trees and other vegetation.

There is no such thing as 'organic carbon'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most people are not soil scientists, and misconceptions about rain forest soil are common.

"It's all up in the trees and other vegetation".

Nope. Even in the most nutrient poor soils in the world, which happen to be Podzols, also known as Spodosols, there are far fewer nutrients contained in the above ground biomass compared to the dead organic matter in the soil.

"Nutrients" being forms of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, calcium, magnesium, etc., that plants can use.

The more common misconception is that tropical rain forest soils are always very infertile.

Some of the most fertile soils in the world can be found under tropical rain forests.

Andisols, formed from young volcanic parent material, are highly fertile. Rain forests in Rwanda growing on deposits of volcanic ash, volcanic mud flows, or lava flows, have highly fertile andisol soils. They can be slashed and burned for centuries and come back with productive harvests every time.

Entisols are very young soils. Too young to have developed much. And sometimes extremely fertile. In the Ganges delta, eroded top soil from the Himalayas washes down and deposits as new islands. If left alone, they support rain forests with very highly fertile soil. Usually farmers get there first.

But Podzols, or Spodosols, are extremely infertile soils found under some rain forests. "Acid white sands" are the most extreme.

Next post will reference my earliest pub (1994) which gets into a lot of detail on acid white sand rain forest soils, and their California counterpart, an ancient Spodosol (Podzol) on the coast with what is, literally, the world's most infertile soil.

Even there, the above ground biomass contains less than 15% of the nutrients found in the ecosystem.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:17
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
Soil science is a major underlying theme in discussion of carbon sequestration.

My first significant paper about these things was published in 1995.

(Yours truly et al). 1995. Intraspecific variation of conifer phenolic concentration on a marine terrace soil acidity gradient; A new interpretation. Plant and Soil. Volume 171, pages 255-262.

These coastal terraces on have soils ranging from pH 5 on the youngest and most fertile terrace to pH 3 on the oldest and least fertile terrace.

The pygmy forest grows on ancient soils (ranging from 300000 to 500000 years of soil development) that are EXTREMELY infertile and strongly acidic.

It was an ideal opportunity to investigate the mechanisms that enable oligotrophic ecosystems to sustain productivity over geologic time, recycling a tiny pool of nutrients under conditions of high potential leaching loss.

It turns out that the same mechanisms that prevent nutrient loss also prevent loss of soil organic carbon.

The "gibber babble" will be meaningless to scientifically illiterate trolls.

Sooner or later, someone will join the discussion who understands actual science and the "gibber babble" used to communicate it.

It may be of historic interest to have a reference for what was literally the first paper published on this particular topic - chemical adaptations to extreme soil conditions.

The trolls may continue to insist that I don't even know what science is. That's okay. Other scientists take my work pretty seriously.

Maybe the next post should get into some of the papers that CITED this one, coming out after 1995, because they continue right up to this year.

And since a fundamental requirement of the scientific method is that the results must be "reproducible", it is an important reality test after a discovery is published to see if other scientists can confirm it.

In fact, obvious proof that a "discovery" was NOT valid is if nobody ever bothers to cite it because it wasn't reproducible. Of if the only citations are to refute it.

It's okay if I get nothing but insults down here in the rabbit hole. I get plenty of praise from real scientists in the real world.
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:18
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:

Page 15 of 21<<<1314151617>>>

Join the debate Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Agroecosystems:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Happy fourth of July. I wonder how many liberals are eating carbon cooked burgers106-07-2023 23:52
Uses for solid carbon3006-07-2023 23:51
Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Wetlands9623-06-2023 14:49
Biden wants to force 'carbon capture'821-06-2023 12:55
Carbon losses from soil predicted to enhance climate change5216-06-2023 09:44
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact