Remember me
▼ Content

There's Still Time

There's Still Time06-12-2022 17:45
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
My behavior, as of late, has been deplorable and I want to apologize to everyone on this board. I have been making fun of those who claim that "it might already be too late" and it has been totally uncalled for. The impending Climate catastrophe is a very serious matter and my jocularity and irreverance were in very poor taste. I apologize for any misunderstandings; I really meant no harm.

The truth is that climate scientists who have written peer reviewed papers for Scientific American, have carefully studied Climate and have rigorously calculated the remaining time we have to fix Climate: roughly eleven years, of course noting that it might already be too late.

This is amazingly good news and should not be poo-poo'ed by sideline hecklers like me. If world leaders are going to roll up their sleeves and work out a way to limit Global Warming to 1.5 deg Celsius, I shouldn't be pulling the rug out from under their efforts. I should be asking what I can do to help and to where I can send my signed blank check.

To avoid that threshold, the world can emit only a set amount of CO2 from now into the future. This quantity is known as the carbon budget. In 2019, the year before the COVID pandemic depressed the global economy, the world discharged about 42 gigatons of CO2—similar to the 2018 level and to what is happening in 2021. According to the midrange scenario in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's comprehensive report released in August, "Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis," another 500 gigatons of CO2 emissions will raise global temperature by 1.5 degrees. Nations have about 11 more years at current emissions rates—2032—before exhausting the budget.

That threshold moves further into the future, however, if countries significantly reduce their output very soon. Aggressive policies, enacted now, can create more time and more hope for preventing catastrophe. In a 2018 report, the IPCC stated that the world had to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 to keep warming to 1.5 degrees. To get on that track, the September U.N. report says, nations have to cut emissions in half by 2030. Every year of delay brings the world much closer to the edge of the precipice. "We are not trying to hit the temperature targets," says Rogelj, who is also a senior research scholar at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis and a key author of the 2021 IPCC report. "We are trying to stay as far away from the edge as possible."

Words of wisdom, and we should heed. We don't want to be wandering out to the precipice because we might have already gone over the edge. This is not something to be taking lightly.
06-12-2022 19:25
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
My behavior, as of late, has been deplorable and I want to apologize to everyone on this board. I have been making fun of those who claim that "it might already be too late" and it has been totally uncalled for. The impending Climate catastrophe is a very serious matter and my jocularity and irreverance were in very poor taste. I apologize for any misunderstandings; I really meant no harm.

The truth is that climate scientists who have written peer reviewed papers for Scientific American, have carefully studied Climate and have rigorously calculated the remaining time we have to fix Climate: roughly eleven years, of course noting that it might already be too late.

This is amazingly good news and should not be poo-poo'ed by sideline hecklers like me. If world leaders are going to roll up their sleeves and work out a way to limit Global Warming to 1.5 deg Celsius, I shouldn't be pulling the rug out from under their efforts. I should be asking what I can do to help and to where I can send my signed blank check.

To avoid that threshold, the world can emit only a set amount of CO2 from now into the future. This quantity is known as the carbon budget. In 2019, the year before the COVID pandemic depressed the global economy, the world discharged about 42 gigatons of CO2—similar to the 2018 level and to what is happening in 2021. According to the midrange scenario in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's comprehensive report released in August, "Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis," another 500 gigatons of CO2 emissions will raise global temperature by 1.5 degrees. Nations have about 11 more years at current emissions rates—2032—before exhausting the budget.

That threshold moves further into the future, however, if countries significantly reduce their output very soon. Aggressive policies, enacted now, can create more time and more hope for preventing catastrophe. In a 2018 report, the IPCC stated that the world had to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 to keep warming to 1.5 degrees. To get on that track, the September U.N. report says, nations have to cut emissions in half by 2030. Every year of delay brings the world much closer to the edge of the precipice. "We are not trying to hit the temperature targets," says Rogelj, who is also a senior research scholar at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis and a key author of the 2021 IPCC report. "We are trying to stay as far away from the edge as possible."

Words of wisdom, and we should heed. We don't want to be wandering out to the precipice because we might have already gone over the edge. This is not something to be taking lightly.

LOL it is completely too late to stop climate change as something that has been happening for 5 billion years is not going to stop because some fool built a windmill

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
06-12-2022 20:30
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21600)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

LOL it is completely too late to stop climate change as something that has been happening for 5 billion years is not going to stop because some fool built a windmill

There is nothing to stop. Climate cannot change. There is no such thing as a global climate.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 06-12-2022 20:31
06-12-2022 20:46
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

There is nothing to stop. Climate cannot change. There is no such thing as a global climate.

That is your delusion, you keep it right next to your view that the Earth is 6000 years old and your Noah's ark model

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

06-12-2022 21:10
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
This is our first inter-glacial, in which we are able to observe, measure, and record. All the rest is just guessing, fantasy, hype, hysteria, panic, fear-mongering. We were aware of the warming trend, but nothing to compare with. No idea how the warming will progress. It's likely this isn't the only inter-glacial the planet has gone through, and life continues to thrive. Seems obvious that that maximum/minimum temperatures are limited by our wonderful world. We don't know how extreme, but we do know we can survive. We did it with only stones, and sticks, so it shouldn't be so harsh this time around. Instead of wasting time and resources on some crazy scheme to stop the world. We should be looking for ways to make things more comfortable in a warmer climate.

Weather, for the most part caused by a temperature deferential, warm air meets cooler air. A warmer planet won't necessarily mean extreme weather. Since Florida was suppose to be completely submerged a decade ago. And hurricanes suppose to be monster-strong, an more frequent. Obviously, those computer-prophesies were false. Cat 5 hurricanes making landfall have been rare past 15 years. Where a Cat 3 or stronger hurricane use to only drop one category after landfall, they quickly drop to tropical storm strength. 15 years ago, a hurricane that made landfall, would rip through the state (or several) as a hurricane, before weakening to a tropical storm.

Not sure what the future may bring, but doubt it's near as scary, as some believe. We are likely to get through it just fine, unless our government decides it's best to kill us all.
06-12-2022 21:17
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

That is your delusion,

A definition is not a delusion. Climate cannot change.
Swan wrote:
you keep it right next to your view that the Earth is 6000 years old

The age of the Earth is unknown.
Swan wrote:
and your Noah's ark model

Don't have one.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 06-12-2022 21:34
06-12-2022 21:33
(21600)
HarveyH55 wrote:
This is our first inter-glacial, in which we are able to observe, measure, and record.

That's assuming that there was a 'glacial'.
HarveyH55 wrote:
All the rest is just guessing,

So is the idea of a 'glacial period' and an 'inter-glacial' period.
HarveyH55 wrote:
fantasy, hype, hysteria, panic, fear-mongering.

Yup.
HarveyH55 wrote:
We were aware of the warming trend, but nothing to compare with.

What warming trend?
HarveyH55 wrote:
No idea how the warming will progress.

What warming?
HarveyH55 wrote:
It's likely this isn't the only inter-glacial the planet has gone through, and life continues to thrive.

What inter-glacial?
HarveyH55 wrote:
Seems obvious that that maximum/minimum temperatures are limited by our wonderful world.

No.
HarveyH55 wrote:
We don't know how extreme, but we do know we can survive. We did it with only stones, and sticks, so it shouldn't be so harsh this time around. Instead of wasting time and resources on some crazy scheme to stop the world. We should be looking for ways to make things more comfortable in a warmer climate.

Climate has no temperature.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Weather, for the most part caused by a temperature deferential, warm air meets cooler air. A warmer planet won't necessarily mean extreme weather.

Generally true, but don't forget the effect of humidity.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Since Florida was suppose to be completely submerged a decade ago.

Florida WAS submerged. It's not part of the North American plate. It migrated from somewhere else.
HarveyH55 wrote:
And hurricanes suppose to be monster-strong, an more frequent.

Anyone that doesn't experience hurricanes on a fairly regular basis considers any hurricane 'monster strong'. It all depends on what you're used to. Even the term 'monster strong' is purely subjective.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Obviously, those computer-prophesies were false. Cat 5 hurricanes making landfall have been rare past 15 years. Where a Cat 3 or stronger hurricane use to only drop one category after landfall, they quickly drop to tropical storm strength. 15 years ago, a hurricane that made landfall, would rip through the state (or several) as a hurricane, before weakening to a tropical storm.

What these idiots don't realize is that hurricanes require colder than usual air to form. The air mass must be unstable or the hurricane will not form. Not even a tropical storm will form.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Not sure what the future may bring, but doubt it's near as scary, as some believe. We are likely to get through it just fine, unless our government decides it's best to kill us all.

Nah. They just want to kill and imprison dissidents.
Being king of nothing is kinda pointless.

The Parrot Killer

06-12-2022 21:41
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
I am also on the verge of tipping point of no return. Overwhelming evidence suggests that apologies have been linked to mitigation of climate disasters, so I will blindly follow with my apology if it isn't already too late.
06-12-2022 21:47
(14414)
Swan wrote:LOL it is completely too late to stop climate change

Of course it is. You tell 'em Swan.

Wait, of which climate are you speaking?

Swan wrote:That is your delusion, you keep it right next to your view that the Earth is 6000 years old

Into the Night presumes the universe is older than you presume it to be. Between the two of you, you are the "young earther." What would be the appropriate way to mock you?

Now that I think about it, I'm in that category as well. Great. Now I have to mock both you and me. Look what you got me into.

Swan wrote:and your Noah's ark model

I'm the one with the model ark with a tinted power window. Noah liked to watch the sunrise and the sunset from the ark, but sometimes the glare reflecting off the waters became a little too much.

07-12-2022 00:17
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

That is your delusion,

A definition is not a delusion. Climate cannot change.
Swan wrote:
you keep it right next to your view that the Earth is 6000 years old

The age of the Earth is unknown.
Swan wrote:
and your Noah's ark model

Don't have one.

Says the idiot who also claims that the Earth has no climate.

Seriously, time to use your Obamacare shit-stain

ULTRA MAGA

07-12-2022 00:44
(14414)
Swan wrote:Says the idiot who also claims that the Earth has no climate.

Says the idiot who doesn't even know what the Earth's climate is, and who doesn't even know the difference between climate and weather, and who doesn't know the difference between a rock and a moraine, and who thinks he can circumvent the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and who thinks there were never any floods in Mesopotamia.
07-12-2022 03:07
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:

Says the idiot who doesn't even know what the Earth's climate is, and who doesn't even know the difference between climate and weather, and who doesn't know the difference between a rock and a moraine, and who thinks he can circumvent the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and who thinks there were never any floods in Mesopotamia.

Seriously, you need to get medicated immediately. On the other hand, your relentless flailing as you try to get under my skin is wonderfully comical. So please continue.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ULTRA MAGA

07-12-2022 03:42
(21600)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Seriously, you need to get medicated immediately. On the other hand, your relentless flailing as you try to get under my skin is wonderfully comical. So please continue.

I see he got under your skin again. You need to get medicated immediately. He's contagious.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 07-12-2022 03:43
07-12-2022 04:07
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I see he got under your skin again. You need to get medicated immediately. He's contagious.

I love silly people like you, did you study funny at Yale?

Please continue.

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 07-12-2022 04:16
07-12-2022 15:35
(14414)
Swan wrote:I love silly, people like you,

Let me get this straight, you love silly and people like me? Is this why you do such a great Shemp impersonation?
07-12-2022 19:01
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:I love silly, people like you,

Let me get this straight, you love silly and people like me? Is this why you do such a great Shemp impersonation?

LOL my Shemp impersonation is nowhere as perfected as your Sybil imitation, now is it?

ULTRA MAGA

08-12-2022 17:39
(14414)
Swan wrote:LOL my Shemp impersonation is nowhere as perfected as your Sybil imitation, now is it?

I have never impersonated Sybil.

Nor have I.

Nor I.
12-12-2022 23:51
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:LOL my Shemp impersonation is nowhere as perfected as your Sybil imitation, now is it?

I have never impersonated Sybil.

Nor have I.

Nor I.

Just be you, yourself and your other selves too

ULTRA MAGA

Join the debate There's Still Time:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Every time I say that this board is dead, someone says something to prove me wrong, but901-01-2024 05:08
Physicists 'entangle' individual molecules for the first time, bringing about a new platform for 1721-12-2023 13:02
Differences between the past and the present time2012-11-2023 23:07
Time to Ban Swan?4507-11-2023 13:57
Quantum entanglement visualized for the first time ever1407-10-2023 19:05
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact