Remember me
▼ Content

The signs of Global Warming

Page 1 of 212>
The signs of Global Warming16-11-2019 09:09
LynLove
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
Is the Earth experiencing another climate change?
16-11-2019 10:12
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21628)
LynLove wrote:

Define 'climate change'.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
16-11-2019 10:19
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14450)
Into the Night wrote:
LynLove wrote:

Define 'climate change'.

Climate = Weather. The global climate changed 172,800 times today.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
16-11-2019 16:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
LynLove wrote:

It is.
16-11-2019 20:42
(14450)
James___ wrote:
LynLove wrote:
It is.

Yes. There is definite, discernible Climate Change 172,800 times each day.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
16-11-2019 20:48
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Florida climate changed last night. Afternoon, and it's still only 63 F outside. Major globally cooling going on. I'd rather have global warming, over an ice age. Can't believe I'm having to wear long pants, probably going to put on a sweatshirt for a walk to the store. Maybe, I should just hop in the SUV, to drive 3 blocks. Think that would be enough CO2 to get a few degrees warmer?
21-11-2019 03:44
Ash143
☆☆☆☆☆
(1)
Yes ofcourse, there is another climate change. Especially when we are continuing to abuse our environment.
21-11-2019 07:32
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Ash143 wrote:
Yes ofcourse, there is another climate change. Especially when we are continuing to abuse our environment.

While there is, CO2 might not be the problem. At the same time serious environmental issues are being ignored when they're a bigger threat.
21-11-2019 18:11
(14450)
Ash143 wrote:

Here's a good example of someone seriously abusing some designer environment:

21-11-2019 20:49
(21628)
Ash143 wrote:

Define 'abuse of environment'.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
22-11-2019 06:28
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
Ash143 wrote:

And we have a long history of learning this lesson the hard way. It used to be people dumped their chamber pots right into the street. Many parts of the world cut all their trees down. And of course we had the dust bowl here in the US.

I don't think the land and managing it comes second to anything else in human business and prosperity.
22-11-2019 23:40
(14450)
tmiddles wrote:
Ash143 wrote:

And we have a long history of learning this lesson the hard way. It used to be people dumped their chamber pots right into the street. Many parts of the world cut all their trees down. And of course we had the dust bowl here in the US.

I don't think the land and managing it comes second to anything else in human business and prosperity.

This is a good example of your perpetual disconnect.

The question is about Climate. You respond about the environment, like you don't know the difference.

23-11-2019 00:04
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:
tmiddles wrote:
Ash143 wrote:
...our environment.

...the land and managing it....
You respond about the environment, ...

It is your position that the weather cannot be impacted by human activity and is therefore not an part of the environment humans could abuse. That's the question of this forum and not settled in any way.

Not giving a crap about the environment is the issue Ash143 was raising. And the word "environment" was used correctly.
Edited on 23-11-2019 00:05
23-11-2019 05:19
(21628)
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
tmiddles wrote:
Ash143 wrote:
...our environment.

...the land and managing it....
You respond about the environment, ...

It is your position that the weather cannot be impacted by human activity and is therefore not an part of the environment humans could abuse. That's the question of this forum and not settled in any way.

Not giving a crap about the environment is the issue Ash143 was raising. And the word "environment" was used correctly.

Weather is not environment. Redefinition fallacy.
Define 'climate change'.

Do you really believe it is possible to control the weather?

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 23-11-2019 05:20
23-11-2019 05:22
(3979)
Into the Night wrote:

Control? You mean like a Marvel superhero? No

Can organisms impact the weather? Change it? Of course we already know that.
23-11-2019 05:27
(14450)
tmiddles wrote:Can organisms impact the weather? Change it? Of course we already know that.

Of course, more of what "we know." Too funny.

23-11-2019 05:39
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:...more of what "we know." Too funny.
Well not ITN/IBD of course. But civilization certainly.
23-11-2019 05:56
(14450)
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:...more of what "we know." Too funny.
Well not ITN/IBD of course. But civilization certainly.

Of course ... I had forgotten that you speak for civilization.

23-11-2019 18:15
(21628)
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

No, you don't.

The Parrot Killer

24-11-2019 01:14
(5197)
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Well, I know it isn't humans that can control weather. Tried for thousands of years, nothing really panned. We do a poor job of predicting, still. We can keep track of which way a weather event is moving though. If there were an organism the effected weather, we'd find a use for it.
24-11-2019 06:50
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
Actually it WAS organisms that changed the composition of the atmosphere from nitrogen, methane, and CO2 into nitrogen and oxygen. I think it was algae that did it but i can't remember that far back in the history books.
Edited on 24-11-2019 06:51
24-11-2019 13:04
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
If climate cannot change it explaining pre-history becomes impossible.
24-11-2019 17:38
(5197)
keepit wrote:
Actually it WAS organisms that changed the composition of the atmosphere from nitrogen, methane, and CO2 into nitrogen and oxygen. I think it was algae that did it but i can't remember that far back in the history books.

History book? You mean science fiction book. Think you are referring to something, that may have happened, before anything crawled on land, long before mammals. It's nothing more than a popular belief, like climate change, greenhouse gasses, and God. Doesn't mean they are equally true, because people believe.
24-11-2019 19:12
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
Harvey,
Do you also think i'm a climate denier?
24-11-2019 23:09
(14450)
spot wrote: If climate cannot change it explaining pre-history becomes impossible.

Religious deities don't change. They are static.

25-11-2019 02:53
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Well, I know it isn't humans that can control weather. Tried for thousands of years, nothing really panned. We do a poor job of predicting, still. We can keep track of which way a weather event is moving though. If there were an organism the effected weather, we'd find a use for it.

It's not about controlling the weather but is about considering its long-term ramifications or implications. I think ibdm and guzzler might like thinking about "ramming" things.
It's sad that you discount stories about the American Revolution. It's a war that was fought long, long ago. I can't remember who won though. History is meaningless.
Since you won't get it Harvey, the Delaware River some guy named George Washington crossed was frozen over on Christmas Eve. I don't believe it. There was no George Washington. There is George Jefferson who lived next door to Archie Bunker though.
I agree with you, history is garbage. I think that stuff is a lot of propaganda myself. Just garbage some people want us to believe, that lot is nothing but a bunch of people who believe in some religious dogma to control you.
God Save the Queen
Edited on 25-11-2019 03:27
25-11-2019 09:20
(21628)
keepit wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Who was alive to write this down???

The Parrot Killer

25-11-2019 14:35
Volker Siegel
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
LynLove wrote:

Define 'climate change'.

No, climate is not the same as weather, and that is pretty important.
Think of climate as weather averaged over years.

(I see no reason why weather should change in discrete steps at all - any reason for assuming 172,800 changes?)
25-11-2019 15:31
(14450)
Volker Siegel wrote: No, climate is not the same as weather, and that is pretty important.

Oh really? This is going to get interesting.

Volker Siegel wrote: Think of climate as weather averaged over years.

That makes no sense. You can't average weather.

Give me an example of what you mean by averaged global weather.

25-11-2019 19:24
(21628)
Volker Siegel wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
LynLove wrote:

Define 'climate change'.

No, climate is not the same as weather, and that is pretty important.

(I see no reason why weather should change in discrete steps at all - any reason for assuming 172,800 changes?)

How long a time span? One year? Five years? 20 years? 100 years? 1000 years? 10,000 years?

Climate is a subjective word used to describe prevailing conditions, such as 'desert climate', 'marine climate', 'arctic climate', etc. Climate has no quantifiable values and is not made up of any quantifiable values.

Define 'climate change'.

The Parrot Killer

27-11-2019 11:05
(3979)
HarveyH55 wrote:...I know it isn't humans that can control weather.
Do you believe that terraforming a planet is possible?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming

keepit wrote:
I believe that is the ONLY theory we have so far and it's a reasonable one.

James___ wrote: It's not about controlling the weather but is about considering its long-term ramifications or implications.
Yes and the entire concern with global warming is that it's not well controlled that it's an out of control side effect of human activity.

Into the Night wrote:Who was alive to write this down???
ITN's one belief. Nothing can be know. Except that, the part about not knowing anything. That's the only thing that can be known.

Volker Siegel wrote:
Well said. As everything is averaged and in range.

Into the Night wrote:
How long a time span? One year? Five years? ...
Yes, yes and yes. How about the economy of a country ITN? 1 year, 20 years? The population of a species? The concentration of a chemical? Radiation? Solar flairs frequency? Just about anything of interest?

Yes I am interested in 1 year, 5, 10, the lot. In subdiving our solar system to look at the climate on Earth, and all of the climates one might want to discuss in sub-diving the Earth, of course have a one year cycle due to our orbit around the sun.

"Good tests kill flawed theories; we remain alive to guess again." - Karl Popper
ITN/IBD Fraud exposed:  The 2nd LTD add on claiming radiance from cooler bodies can't be absorbed Max Planck debunks, they can't explain:net-thermal-radiation-you-in-a-room-as-a-reference & Proof: no data is ever valid for them
27-11-2019 19:02
(21628)
tmiddles wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:...I know it isn't humans that can control weather.
Do you believe that terraforming a planet is possible?

Terraforming is not possible. Science fiction does not have to conform to physical laws.
tmiddles wrote:
keepit wrote:
I believe that is the ONLY theory we have so far and it's a reasonable one.

As with other such theories, this one is also a religion.
tmiddles wrote:
James___ wrote: It's not about controlling the weather but is about considering its long-term ramifications or implications.
Yes and the entire concern with global warming is that it's not well controlled that it's an out of control side effect of human activity.

You can't control the weather. It has always been out of control. No human can control the weather.
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:Who was alive to write this down???
ITN's one belief. Nothing can be know. Except that, the part about not knowing anything. That's the only thing that can be known.

RDCF.
tmiddles wrote:
Volker Siegel wrote:
Well said. As everything is averaged and in range.

Averages are meaningless without the margin of error calculation. Statistical math is not capable or prediction either.
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
How long a time span? One year? Five years? ...
Yes, yes and yes.

Void definition then. Try defining 'global warming' again.
tmiddles wrote:
How about the economy of a country ITN? 1 year, 20 years?

Subjective. It has no timespan.
tmiddles wrote:
The population of a species?

Instantanous.
tmiddles wrote:
The concentration of a chemical?

Instantaneous.
tmiddles wrote:
Radiation?

Instantaneous.
tmiddles wrote:
Solar flairs frequency?

Measured over two fixed points in time. If those two times are unspecified, the value is meaningless.
tmiddles wrote:
Just about anything of interest?

Compositional error fallacy. This is the same fallacy that causes you to be a bigot and a racist when you use it with people as the class.
tmiddles wrote:
Yes I am interested in 1 year, 5, 10, the lot.

Void definition.
tmiddles wrote:
In subdiving our solar system to look at the climate on Earth, and all of the climates one might want to discuss in sub-diving the Earth, of course have a one year cycle due to our orbit around the sun.

'Climate' is not 'season'. Redefinition fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

27-11-2019 20:51
(3979)
Into the Night wrote:
Terraforming is not possible.
What a sweeping statement!
Do you not agree that it's relatively easy, given our current abilities, to radically change the emissivity of a planet? We can make it more reflective as surely as we can increase it's absorption by simply changing the surface the sunlight hits.

Into the Night wrote:
Volker Siegel wrote:
Averages are meaningless ....
Should any rational readers stumble on this thread just remember this guy said:
Into the Night wrote: No one can know the temperature of Denver.
Ha ha ! (link) So yeah, you are what you are ITN.

Into the Night wrote:
tmiddles wrote:
How about the economy of a country ITN? 1 year, 20 years?

Subjective. It has no timespan.
You should definitely avoid investing your own money.

"Good tests kill flawed theories; we remain alive to guess again." - Karl Popper
ITN/IBD Fraud exposed:  The 2nd LTD add on claiming radiance from cooler bodies can't be absorbed Max Planck debunks, they can't explain:net-thermal-radiation-you-in-a-room-as-a-reference & Proof: no data is ever valid for them
27-11-2019 21:23
(5197)
If there is a global climate, how come the forecast says it's going to be in the 80's here for Thanksgiving (very thankful too ). While many of the Yankee states are expecting a foot of snow, on the same day? I'm fairly certain, we've never had a foot snow in central Florida, and never will. Some things you just lump all together, call it an average, and pretend it actually represent something meaningful.
27-11-2019 22:00
(3979)
HarveyH55 wrote:
If there is a global climate, how come the forecast says it's going to be in the 80's here for Thanksgiving (very thankful too ). While many of the Yankee states are expecting a foot of snow, on the same day?
You're also very fond of pointing out that we're only in the sun for half the time right Harvey? And at night the temperature is TOTALLY not the same as at high noon. Guess with the weather of Denver they just like to lump it all together too.

Planets have average temps and temp ranges.

So does Denver.

So does EVERYTHING THAT HAS A TEMPERATURE AT ALL.

You know the block of steel sitting on the bunsen burner has a very high temperature at point of contact with the burner and a much lower temperature on the top surface where it's heating the room. Guess to very different temperatures come up quite a lot.

That's what a temperature its, the average, in the moment, the hour, the day, the year.... Up to us how we gather and organize the data.

So quick question for you Harvey. Do you agree with ITN here:
link

27-11-2019 22:23
(14450)
tmiddles wrote: You're also very fond of pointing out that we're only in the sun for half the time right Harvey? And at night the temperature is TOTALLY not the same as at high noon.

That's why "bounded by a timeframe" is an absolutely required component of the definition of "climate."

CLIMATE: A subjective human characterization of local conditions bounded by a timeframe.

Thank you for stressing that.

tmiddles wrote: Planets have average temps and temp ranges.

Suddenly you are bending over backward to totally agree with Into the Night and me. What changed? Yes, all bodies are presumed to have an "average" temperature whether or not we know what it is. What caused you to suddenly see the light?

Maybe now would be a good time to get back to that block of steel example. Let's say that we were to leave a block of steel in an enviroment that is fixed at 80degC. Once that block of steel reaches equilibrium we can safely say that the block of steel has an average temperature of 80degC, even if we never measure it. Now let's take the earth. It's in equilibrium but we don't know at what temperature. We know that it has an average temperature but we just don't know what that is and we don't have the means to calculate it.

Anyway, I am heartened to see you making progress. Keep it up.

27-11-2019 22:30
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:"bounded by a timeframe" is an absolutely required component of the definition of "climate."
Of course. It's annual on Earth, 365 days. You know, seasons : )

IBdaMann wrote:...you are bending over backward to totally agree with Into the Night and me.
Oh now I know you'll just run away IBD but you are cooked.

IBD: What is your take on ITN's statement below? Agree? Disagree?

link

I most certainly DO NOT agree. It's actually about 25F at this moment in Denver.

Want to call that subjective? A Warmazombie conspiracy? Whatever you want man. But you guys handily exit the stage of rational discussion with that one.

Edited on 27-11-2019 22:31
27-11-2019 22:50
(14450)
tmiddles wrote: Of course. It's annual on Earth, 365 days. You know, seasons : )

So, tell me what is the earth's climate? I don't know so I'm asking you. Is it arid? Cold? Subtropical? What?

tmiddles wrote: Oh now I know you'll just run away IBD but you are cooked.

Apparently. You got me now. Right where you want me. I'm so totally hosed.
Well, I'll tell you what, I'm feeling a bit lazy right now so I'll run away later. Whatcha got?

tmiddles wrote: IBD: What is your take on ITN's statement below? Agree? Disagree?

link

He's absolutely correct. At our current state of technology, our thermometers can only measure temperature at one point. I thought you knew that. When you take a temperature reading for a point in space, you don't know the temperature for the point in space right next to it but you can estimate within a certain margin of error. As you get further away from the point that you measured the margin of error increases exponentially. Yes, I just recalled that you are mathematically incompetent and that it would be a complete waste of time to explain this concept in terms of statistical math so you'll just have to take my word for it that no one knows the temperature of the unspecified volume of "Denver." If I were to ask you to explain what you believe is the current temperature of Denver and how the margin of error was computed you'd probably runaway ...

... so what do you believe is the temperature of Denver and how was the margin of error calculated?

tmiddles wrote: I most certainly DO NOT agree.

Yet you already did! It's too late for you to change your mind now.

tmiddles wrote: It's actually about 25F at this moment in Denver.

Of course, no margin of error. You just pulled a number our of your ass. I'm just wondering what would be the most fitting manner to mock you.

27-11-2019 23:08
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:
link
He's absolutely correct. At our current state of technology, our thermometers can only measure temperature at one point.

Thanks for wrapping a bow on that!

What I know is that you and ITN are entirely useless to productive thought.

Really productive talk though guys!

So ITN/IBD claim we don't know the temp of Venus, the Moon, Earth or Denver.

And scene (fade to black)

27-11-2019 23:50
(14450)
tmiddles wrote:What I know is that you and ITN are entirely useless to productive thought.

I have long advised you to get off that "only Global Warming boot-licking is considered productive" kick. It only leads you to you writing an endless string of stupid things. But hey, I'm all for hilarity and the price is right. Feel free to keep it coming.

Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate The signs of Global Warming:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Tesla recalls nearly 54,000 cars because self-driving software runs stop signs606-02-2022 02:00
9 Signs That Prove Climate Change Is Real and Affecting Everyone917-10-2019 03:22
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact