Remember me
▼ Content

The Atmosphere and Heat

Page 3 of 4<1234>
11-02-2021 02:29
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:A BTU is an amount of heat energy.

LOL It's not enough to keep getting it wrong. You must insist on getting it wrong. It's your religious obligation.

One BTU is an amount of thermal energy.

Heat is a flow of thermal energy and is measured in power units.

Space heaters specify watts (power) not BTUs (energy).

Swan wrote:You have any opinions on Kratos stock?

Yes. Ditch the stock and make your bids in the futures market. You lose all the money you don't make.

Space heaters use specifications in BTU/hr or watts (joules/second). They often just say BTU, but it's BTU/hr. Rather confusing to the layman.

BTU/hr is typically used for space heaters using some kind of fuel such as propane or kerosene, such as the typical 'jet' space heaters you can get at the hardware store, while watts are typically used for electrical space heaters.

Car engines are rated in watts (usually kilowatts), or horsepower (746 watts). Don't see BTU/hr used much with car engines. Car engines are also called 'heat engines'. Like all engines, they have a hot section and a cold section. They use the difference between burning fuel in a cylinder (the hot section) and the outside air temperature (the cold section).

Other than the cylinder, car engines consist of a way to meter fuel and air to the cylinder for burning, a method of burning it, and a method of getting the hot air to someplace cold (the exhaust system).

An engine is all about heat, which is why they are measured in watts or horsepower.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 11-02-2021 02:38
11-02-2021 03:28
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Duncan, there is no real debate here.

LOL What a coincidence! This is what warmizombies insist as well, and they too become totally irrational when presented with a viewpoint that differs from their WACKY religious dogma LOL.

Swan wrote: Heat is energy, this is not debatable

LOL What a coincidence! Warmizombies totally deny science as well LOL.

Swan wrote: ... unless mindless fools are involved and making the claim that heat is not energy but a religion.

LOL What a coincidence! Warmizombies are forever protesting how the mindless "deniers" claim that nobody knows whether the earth's temperature or its sea level is rising and that Global Warming is just a religion LOL.

Swan wrote:Solar radiation, is heat energy from the Sun.

LOL What a coincidence! Warmizombies are forever creating their own meaningless gibberbabble by attempting to redefine common words and incorporating them into their WACKY religious dogma LOL.

Yawn.

Lol tell us again that heat is not energy

Wheeeee
11-02-2021 04:18
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

Heat is the flow of thermal energy.

Since KE = 3/2kT , any decrease in T shows that heat is energy. And that it's energy is directly related to the loss of KE in a mol of ideal gas.

To be technical, if the temperature drops 1kelvin (a kelvin = 1º C.) then the heat emitted has the equivalent value of KE = 3/2k1.
And that value is 2.0709678×10²³ joules/kelvin. As you can clearly see, heat as in 1 kelvin or 1º C. has a specific value of energy relative to Boltzmann's ideal gas law. Just trying to be a good Christian and help my brother.

Heat has no temperature.

It's KE is relative to the change in state of what emitted or absorbed it. If heat wasn't energy then it could change matter but it does. And heat allows for temperature. A molecule emits heat. A room of molecules giving off heat is temperature. That's just being technical. Heat is a single molecule while temperature is a volume of molecules. Then we get into Avagrado's number and a mol or some variation of molecules/m^3.
11-02-2021 07:07
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14413)
James___ wrote: It's KE is relative to the change in state of what emitted or absorbed it.

You are trying to go down the KE route and it cannot end well.

James___ wrote: If heat wasn't energy ...

... which it isn't, ergo ...

James___ wrote: ... then it would come around the mountain when she comes.

You got me there.

James___ wrote: And heat allows for temperature.

Could you let me in on what this means exactly? I believe peanut butter allows temperature as well. In fact, I believe all matter approves so overwhelmingly of temperature that all matter, everywhere has some.

James___ wrote: A molecule emits heat.

Nope. A molecule emits thermal radiation which is electromagnetic energy.

A molecule either loses or gains thermal energy because of heat.

James___ wrote: A room of molecules ...

... is a crowd.

James___ wrote:Heat is a single molecule while temperature is a volume of molecules.

nope.

James___ wrote: Then we get into Avagrado's number and a mol or some variation of molecules/m^3.

Avogadro spent a few months counting molecules and his assistants didn't have the heart to point out that he missed two in week-3 and five in week-7.

Attached image:

11-02-2021 09:40
(21599)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

LOL What a coincidence! This is what warmizombies insist as well, and they too become totally irrational when presented with a viewpoint that differs from their WACKY religious dogma LOL.

Swan wrote: ... unless mindless fools are involved and making the claim that heat is not energy but a religion.

LOL What a coincidence! Warmizombies are forever protesting how the mindless "deniers" claim that nobody knows whether the earth's temperature or its sea level is rising and that Global Warming is just a religion LOL.

LOL What a coincidence! Warmizombies are forever creating their own meaningless gibberbabble by attempting to redefine common words and incorporating them into their WACKY religious dogma LOL.

Yawn.

Wheeeee

Why? You don't listen.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
11-02-2021 14:15
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Yawn.

Wheeeee

Why? You don't listen.

There is no reason to listen to a moron that does not know that heat is energy
11-02-2021 16:08
(14413)
Swan wrote:There is no reason to listen to a moron that does not know that heat is energy

There is no point in wasting time listening to a fundamentalist loon babble his science denial.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
11-02-2021 17:30
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
James___ wrote: It's KE is relative to the change in state of what emitted or absorbed it.
[quote]IBdaMann wrote:
You are trying to go down the KE route and it cannot end well.

KE allows us to measure the work performed to create/generate heat.

James___ wrote: If heat wasn't energy ...
IBdaMann wrote:
... which it isn't, ergo ...

If it wasn't, then it couldn't burn you, could it?

James___ wrote: ... then it would come around the mountain when she comes.
IBdaMann wrote:
You got me there.

James___ wrote: And heat allows for temperature.
IBdaMann wrote:
Could you let me in on what this means exactly? I believe peanut butter allows temperature as well. In fact, I believe all matter approves so overwhelmingly of temperature that all matter, everywhere has some.

Peanut butter allows for PB&Js. If something exists, it has temperature.

IBdaMann wrote:
Nope. A molecule emits thermal radiation which is electromagnetic energy.

And because there is a flow of electromagnetic radiation, it is considered as heat. This lets us know that heat and electromagnetic energy are the same thing.
With an electric motor, the work done can be considered as energy lost in its magnetic field. And magnetic fields/waves are electromagnetic energy.

IBdaMann wrote:
A molecule either loses or gains thermal energy because of heat.

And when it's KE changes as a result, we will know the relationship between heat and KE. And since "heat" has a source or point of origin, we can know how efficient it becomes heat content in a molecule that it increases its KE.
And when molecules are cooled, we can know by the medium removing heat how effcient that process is as well.

James___ wrote: A room of molecules ...
IBdaMann wrote:
... is a crowd.

Bodies/masses that have "temperature".

James___ wrote:Heat is a single molecule while temperature is a volume of molecules.
IBdaMann wrote:
nope.

Yep.

James___ wrote: Then we get into Avagrado's number and a mol or some variation of molecules/m^3.
IBdaMann wrote:
Avogadro spent a few months counting molecules and his assistants didn't have the heart to point out that he missed two in week-3 and five in week-7.

Saudi Arabia in the pic? Isn't it interesting that parts of Saudi Arabia are at the same latitude as parts of Florida? Yet if you look at the equator, it's greener, more lush. This shows how trade winds transport heat and heat content.

p.s., the map shows the winds that blow over Saudia Arabia come from China while with Australia, from what's considered the Southern Ocean which circulates around Antarctica. For Perth anyway. With Eastern Australia, the might winds might come from the South Pacific.

p.s.s., the equator is below the point where the African continent protrudes to the west.
Attached image:

Edited on 11-02-2021 17:35
11-02-2021 17:43
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
This is kind of cool. This image shows where the jet streams are, @ 30 and 60 degrees. Yet we know they do move. The cells can also be shown to have a relationship to the inner and outer Van Allen radiation belts. https://spacecenter.org/what-are-the-van-allen-radiation-belts/

The solar wind pushes the radiation belts closer on the sunny side and further away on the dark side.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Br3zQLcYRm1hbfXV6
Attached image:

Edited on 11-02-2021 17:46
11-02-2021 18:15
(14413)
James___ wrote:
This is kind of cool. This image shows where the jet streams are, @ 30 and 60 degrees. Yet we know they do move. The cells can also be shown to have a relationship to the inner and outer Van Allen radiation belts. https://spacecenter.org/what-are-the-van-allen-radiation-belts/

The solar wind pushes the radiation belts closer on the sunny side and further away on the dark side.

All of this supports my theory that the earth is just a steel-belted radial tire.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
11-02-2021 18:20
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:

All of this supports my theory that the earth is just a steel-belted radial tire.

So you agree that the Earth has a radial structure, right? And as a tire rolls down the road, it heats up, right?
Attached image:

11-02-2021 18:54
(14413)
IBdaMann wrote:Nope. A molecule emits thermal radiation which is electromagnetic energy.
And because there is a flow of electromagnetic radiation, it is considered as heat.

Incorrect. Heat is the flow of thermal energy from source S to body B. If you are not discussing thermal energy specifically, or if you cannot identify either source S or body B then you are not discussing heat.

This lets us know that heat and electromagnetic energy are ENTIRELY different concepts.

James___ wrote:With an electric motor, the work done can be considered as energy lost in its magnetic field.

You are correct to equate work with energy.

James___ wrote: And magnetic fields/waves are electromagnetic energy.

Incorrect. You are conflating electromagnetic radiation (energy) with magnetism (a force). Don't make that mistake.

James___ wrote:And when it's KE changes as a result, we will know the relationship between heat and KE.

Well, let's look at the relationship, shall we?

KE is a specific form of energy.
Heat is a flow of thermal energy from source S to body B.

Let's see ...

Nope. There's no relationship there. They are two independent, mutually exclusive concepts.

James___ wrote: And when molecules are cooled, we can know by the medium removing heat how effcient that process is as well.

If heat is removed, there can be no cooling.

James___ wrote: Saudi Arabia in the pic? Isn't it interesting that parts of Saudi Arabia are at the same latitude as parts of Florida? Yet if you look at the equator, it's greener, more lush. This shows how trade winds transport heat and heat content.

p.s., the map shows the winds that blow over Saudia Arabia come from China while with Australia, from what's considered the Southern Ocean which circulates around Antarctica. For Perth anyway. With Eastern Australia, the might winds might come from the South Pacific.

p.s.s., the equator is below the point where the African continent protrudes to the west.

You know that I hate to splash cold water on your brilliance, but everything you mention is merely a testament to the spherical shape of the earth.

A devout Muslim in downtown Miami would need to face a sharp NE to pray to Mecca while Meccans in need of a Miami vacation would look sharply NW.

Call up Google Earth and connect the two cities with a line.

Attached image:

Edited on 11-02-2021 18:56
11-02-2021 19:03
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Is semantics all you've got ibd? You should google semantics and argumentative.
11-02-2021 19:16
(14413)
keepit wrote:Is semantics all you've got ibd? You should google semantics and argumentative.

People who cannot learn become total morons. Your inability to learn about semantics should be your first clue as to why you are a total moron. Your need to have Google do your thinking for you should be your second.

11-02-2021 19:18
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Noone believes you IBD. You have no credibility.
11-02-2021 19:20
(14413)
keepit wrote: Noone believes you IBD. You have no credibility.

Of course you know this because you are everyone.

Too funny.

11-02-2021 19:57
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:There is no reason to listen to a moron that does not know that heat is energy

There is no point in wasting time listening to a fundamentalist loon babble his science denial.

Lol, so your claim is that I am a fundamentalist because I know that heat is energy and because you are a farmer with
Nothing better to do with his life than entertain me

Wheeeeeee

CIAO
11-02-2021 21:13
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
keepit wrote:

I believe him. He has credibility with me.

You don't speak for me, keepit.
11-02-2021 21:16
(3314)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Lol, so your claim is that I am a fundamentalist because I know that heat is energy and because you are a farmer with

Wheeeeeee

CIAO

...still babbling your science denial, I see...

Meh.
11-02-2021 22:49
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:Nope. A molecule emits thermal radiation which is electromagnetic energy.
And because there is a flow of electromagnetic radiation, it is considered as heat.

Incorrect. Heat is the flow of thermal energy from source S to body B. If you are not discussing thermal energy specifically, or if you cannot identify either source S or body B then you are not discussing heat.

This lets us know that heat and electromagnetic energy are ENTIRELY different concepts.

A redundant argument. Heat could not effect change if it wasn't energy.
That's just too basic to argue. Yet in our atmosphere, the radiation belts which are electromagnetic in nature can influence our atmosphere just as 2 opposing gravitational fields can.
You and your friends seem to have difficulty considering the magnetic field that the Earth generates can influence its atmosphere. Your "tire" analogy was a good one but you missed it.
What helps a tire to heat up is as it rolls is it's constantly changing shape. And the forces acting on both the light and dark side of the Earth are constantly changing.
Edited on 11-02-2021 22:50
11-02-2021 23:32
(21599)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Yawn.

Wheeeee

Why? You don't listen.

There is no reason to listen to a moron that does not know that heat is energy

Argument by repetition fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

11-02-2021 23:33
(21599)
keepit wrote:
Is semantics all you've got ibd? You should google semantics and argumentative.

Fallacy fallacy. False authority fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

11-02-2021 23:34
(21599)
keepit wrote:

Argument from randU fallacy. Bulverism fallacy. You do not get to speak for everyone. You are not God.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 11-02-2021 23:35
11-02-2021 23:39
(21599)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Wheeeeeee

CIAO

Argument by repetition fallacy. Circular argument fallacy (fundamentalism). Bulverism fallacy. Mantras 10b...10j...20a2...20e2...1...1

The Parrot Killer

11-02-2021 23:44
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Wheeeeeee

CIAO

Meh.

They really pay you to humiliate yourself?

Again heat is energy

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat and other forms of energy. In particular, it describes how thermal energy is converted to and from other forms of energy and how it affects matter.

Thermal energy is the energy a substance or system has due to its temperature, i.e., the energy of moving or vibrating molecules, according to the Energy Education website of the Texas Education Agency. Thermodynamics involves measuring this energy, which can be "exceedingly complicated," according to David McKee, a professor of physics at Missouri Southern State University. "The systems that we study in thermodynamics ... consist of very large numbers of atoms or molecules interacting in complicated ways. But, if these systems meet the right criteria, which we call equilibrium, they can be described with a very small number of measurements or numbers. Often this is idealized as the mass of the system, the pressure of the system, and the volume of the system, or some other equivalent set of numbers. Three numbers describe 1026 or 1030 nominal independent variables."

Heat
Thermodynamics, then, is concerned with several properties of matter; foremost among these is heat. Heat is energy transferred between substances or systems due to a temperature difference between them, according to Energy Education. As a form of energy, heat is conserved, i.e., it cannot be created or destroyed. It can, however, be transferred from one place to another. Heat can also be converted to and from other forms of energy. For example, a steam turbine can convert heat to kinetic energy to run a generator that converts kinetic energy to electrical energy. A light bulb can convert this electrical energy to electromagnetic radiation (light), which, when absorbed by a surface, is converted back into heat.
11-02-2021 23:55
(21599)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

A redundant argument.

Buzzword fallacy. There is no redundancy here.
James___ wrote:
Heat could not effect change if it wasn't energy.

Yes it can. Mantra 10b.
James___ wrote:
That's just too basic to argue.

Assumption of victory fallacy.
James___ wrote:
Yet in our atmosphere, the radiation belts which are electromagnetic in nature can influence our atmosphere

The Van Allen belts are not in our atmosphere.
James___ wrote:
just as 2 opposing gravitational fields can.

Gravity has no polarity.
James___ wrote:
You and your friends seem to have difficulty considering the magnetic field that the Earth generates can influence its atmosphere.

The atmosphere is not magnetic. It is neither permeable nor has any retention imposed by a magnetic field.
James___ wrote:
Your "tire" analogy was a good one but you missed it.

Inversion fallacy.
James___ wrote:
What helps a tire to heat up is as it rolls is it's constantly changing shape.

WRONG. Tires are heated because of friction. Think of slapping your head on the roadway over and over. Your head gets hotter as you pass out. Fortunately, tires have no brains.
James___ wrote:
And the forces acting on both the light and dark side of the Earth are constantly changing.

Void argument fallacy. What are these mysterious 'forces' that you speak of?

The Parrot Killer

12-02-2021 00:35
(21599)
Swan wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Wheeeeeee

CIAO

Meh.

Insult fallacy. Mantra 1.
Swan wrote:
Again heat is energy

Heat is not energy. Mantra 10b...20a2
Swan wrote:
Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat and other forms of energy. In particular, it describes how thermal energy is converted to and from other forms of energy and how it affects matter.

Heat is not energy. Mantra 10b...20a2.
Swan wrote:
Thermal energy is the energy a substance or system has due to its temperature, i.e., the energy of moving or vibrating molecules,

WRONG. Throw a baseball in open space. Does the baseball get hotter because it's moving? All the molecules of that baseball are moving.
Swan wrote:
according to the Energy Education website of the Texas Education Agency.
...deleted redundant material...

The Texas Education Agency did not create the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which you are denying.
Swan wrote:
Heat
Thermodynamics, then, is concerned with several properties of matter; foremost among these is heat. Heat is energy transferred between substances or systems due to a temperature difference between them, according to Energy Education.

I will call this argument 1.
Swan wrote:
As a form of energy, heat is conserved, i.e., it cannot be created or destroyed.

I will call this argument 2. You are now locked in paradox. You are being irrational. You cannot argue both sides of a paradox.

Heat can be created AND eliminated. One example is the use of a Dewer flask (otherwise known as a Thermos jug). Heat can never be reduced to zero. There is no such thing as a perfect thermal insulator.
Swan wrote:
It can, however, be transferred from one place to another.

Heat is not transferred. Mantra 10b...20a2.
Swan wrote:
Heat can also be converted to and from other forms of energy.

Swan wrote:
For example, a steam turbine can convert heat to kinetic energy to run a generator that converts kinetic energy to electrical energy.

A turbine is a heat engine. Heat is not energy. Every engine requires a hot section and a cold section. The turbine blades REMOVE thermal energy and convert that into kinetic energy. The exhaust side of the turbine is COLD. Thermal energy has been removed.

The same thing happens in a car. The pistons REMOVE thermal energy. It has been converted to kinetic energy. The exhaust gases are COLDER than the burn was. The exhaust side of an internal combustion engine is the cold side.

No heat engine can run without an exhaust to a cold section.

Mantra 10b...20a2.
Swan wrote:
A light bulb can convert this electrical energy to electromagnetic radiation (light), which, when absorbed by a surface, is converted back into heat.

Generators CONVERT kinetic energy into electrical energy. That electrical energy FLOWS to the light bulb, which converts it to electromagnetic energy and also to thermal energy. The light bulb or LED itself gets warmer. That's thermal energy, dude.

Electromagnetic energy is not thermal energy. It can be CONVERTED to thermal energy by absorption of certain frequencies of light. Electromagnetic energy FLOWING from the light bulb to the absorbing surface is heat. Heat by radiance...CREATED by the the energy radiated by the light bulb (which helps to cool it) FLOWING to the surface. When the photon is absorbed, it is DESTROYED.

If you shut off the hot side in the turbine, or shut off the exhaust side of a turbine, the turbine will stop. You have DESTROYED heat. Opening these valves CREATES heat and the turbine begins to turn, extracting thermal energy from the medium FLOWING through it.

Electrical energy goes nowhere with out both current AND voltage. Current is FLOW. Voltage is like pressure. Voltage times current is POWER, measured in watts. ALL electrical components, including wire itself, has resistance, inductance, and capacitance. Wire is heated by the current flowing through it, which can only flow through it if there is a voltage (pressure). It takes POWER to produce that heat, measured in watts.

Energy is measured in joules, not watts.

The Parrot Killer

12-02-2021 00:49
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Wheeeeeee

CIAO

Meh.

Swan wrote:
Again heat is energy

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
Thermal energy is the energy a substance or system has due to its temperature, i.e., the energy of moving or vibrating molecules,

WRONG. Throw a baseball in open space. Does the baseball get hotter because it's moving? All the molecules of that baseball are moving.
Swan wrote:

The Texas Education Agency did not create the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which you are denying.
Swan wrote:
Heat
Thermodynamics, then, is concerned with several properties of matter; foremost among these is heat. Heat is energy transferred between substances or systems due to a temperature difference between them, according to Energy Education.

Swan wrote:
As a form of energy, heat is conserved, i.e., it cannot be created or destroyed.

I will call this argument 2. You are now locked in paradox. You are being irrational. You cannot argue both sides of a paradox.

Heat can be created AND eliminated. One example is the use of a Dewer flask (otherwise known as a Thermos jug). Heat can never be reduced to zero. There is no such thing as a perfect thermal insulator.
Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
For example, a steam turbine can convert heat to kinetic energy to run a generator that converts kinetic energy to electrical energy.

A turbine is a heat engine. Heat is not energy. Every engine requires a hot section and a cold section. The turbine blades REMOVE thermal energy and convert that into kinetic energy. The exhaust side of the turbine is COLD. Thermal energy has been removed.

The same thing happens in a car. The pistons REMOVE thermal energy. It has been converted to kinetic energy. The exhaust gases are COLDER than the burn was. The exhaust side of an internal combustion engine is the cold side.

Mantra 10b...20a2.
Swan wrote:
A light bulb can convert this electrical energy to electromagnetic radiation (light), which, when absorbed by a surface, is converted back into heat.

Generators CONVERT kinetic energy into electrical energy. That electrical energy FLOWS to the light bulb, which converts it to electromagnetic energy and also to thermal energy. The light bulb or LED itself gets warmer. That's thermal energy, dude.

Electromagnetic energy is not thermal energy. It can be CONVERTED to thermal energy by absorption of certain frequencies of light. Electromagnetic energy FLOWING from the light bulb to the absorbing surface is heat. Heat by radiance...CREATED by the the energy radiated by the light bulb (which helps to cool it) FLOWING to the surface. When the photon is absorbed, it is DESTROYED.

If you shut off the hot side in the turbine, or shut off the exhaust side of a turbine, the turbine will stop. You have DESTROYED heat. Opening these valves CREATES heat and the turbine begins to turn, extracting thermal energy from the medium FLOWING through it.

Electrical energy goes nowhere with out both current AND voltage. Current is FLOW. Voltage is like pressure. Voltage times current is POWER, measured in watts. ALL electrical components, including wire itself, has resistance, inductance, and capacitance. Wire is heated by the current flowing through it, which can only flow through it if there is a voltage (pressure). It takes POWER to produce that heat, measured in watts.

LOL not all energy is measured in joules

Sheesh

I am gonna have you tested
12-02-2021 00:49
(3314)
Swan wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Wheeeeeee

CIAO

Meh.

Again heat is energy

Thermal energy is the energy a substance or system has due to its temperature, i.e., the energy of moving or vibrating molecules, according to the Energy Education website of the Texas Education Agency. Thermodynamics involves measuring this energy, which can be "exceedingly complicated," according to David McKee, a professor of physics at Missouri Southern State University. "The systems that we study in thermodynamics ... consist of very large numbers of atoms or molecules interacting in complicated ways. But, if these systems meet the right criteria, which we call equilibrium, they can be described with a very small number of measurements or numbers. Often this is idealized as the mass of the system, the pressure of the system, and the volume of the system, or some other equivalent set of numbers. Three numbers describe 1026 or 1030 nominal independent variables."

Heat
Thermodynamics, then, is concerned with several properties of matter; foremost among these is heat. Heat is energy transferred between substances or systems due to a temperature difference between them, according to Energy Education. As a form of energy, heat is conserved, i.e., it cannot be created or destroyed. It can, however, be transferred from one place to another. Heat can also be converted to and from other forms of energy. For example, a steam turbine can convert heat to kinetic energy to run a generator that converts kinetic energy to electrical energy. A light bulb can convert this electrical energy to electromagnetic radiation (light), which, when absorbed by a surface, is converted back into heat.

I realize that is what your mind masters tell you to say...
12-02-2021 00:55
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Wheeeeeee

CIAO

Meh.

Again heat is energy

Heat

Did your mother spank you often
12-02-2021 01:40
(14413)
Swan wrote:LOL not all energy is measured in joules

LOL LOL No energy is measured in watts. Yawn.

Sheesh Yawn

12-02-2021 01:52
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:

Sheesh Yawn

Duh there are many kinds of energy, and many kinds of scales.....

The energy of your working brain is measured in poor decisions
12-02-2021 02:54
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

Sheesh Yawn

My microwave oven is rated @ 1100 j/s. My car also has ~225,000 joules of power or is that ~225,000 watts of power? Same thing. ie., 1 h.p. = 745.70 joules.
All energy can be quantified by any term that describes energy. It's all relative. You guys will probably lose it when you consider that a 75 watt light bulb is emitting 75 joules/second. Maybe watts is just a shorter term that people can relate to?
For the Good Christian gfm (am being an a$$hole here), Jesus was in the ground for 3 days while Easter is observed on the 3rd day when he rose. Yet he said he would be in the ground for 3 days.
I think this is because watts is easier to consider than joules/second. Same literary relationship.
12-02-2021 03:12
(3314)
Swan wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

Did your mother spank you often

Did yours?
12-02-2021 04:30
(3314)
James___ wrote:
For the Good Christian gfm (am being an a$$hole here),

Thank you kindly.

James___ wrote:
Jesus was in the ground for 3 days while Easter is observed on the 3rd day when he rose. Yet he said he would be in the ground for 3 days.

This is an interesting one indeed, as Matthew 12:40 states: "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Is this passage referring to three literal days and three literal nights, to where a Friday crucifixion and a prior-to-Sunday-morning rising from the dead doesn't make logical sense?

Is this passage referring to some sort of idiom (such as "raining cats and dogs") to where a Friday crucifixion and a prior-to-Sunday-morning rising from the dead would still make sense under whatever the "three days and three nights" language means? (as idioms do not translate)

Then, there's also the issue of ancient time keeping/calendars/etc compared to how we keep time and calendars today...

A person from today would think the following, assuming a Friday crucifixion:

Day 1: Friday morning/evening
Night 1: Friday night into Saturday morning
Day 2: Saturday morning/evening
Night 2: Saturday night into Sunday morning
Day 3: Sunday morning/evening
Night 3: ??? But, but Jesus already rose prior to sometime Sunday MORNING according to the gospels!! ???

But, there's also theories that Jesus was actually crucified on a Wednesday, and apparently Jewish calendars of the time considered their "days" to be from sundown until sundown (or 6:00pm until 5:59pm, for example) instead of 12:00am until 11:59pm, as we currently do today, so assuming a Wednesday crucifixion and this Jewish sense of a "day" (even the language in the Genesis creation account mentions "and the evening and morning were the ____ day..." instead of "...morning and evening were..."):

Day 1: Thursday (or how we think of it, after 6pm Wednesday evening and into Thursday)
Day 2: Friday (or how we think of it, after 6pm Thursday evening and into Friday)
Day 3: Saturday (or how we think of it, after 6pm Friday evening and into Saturday)
Night 3: approaching Sunday morning (or how we think of it, Saturday up until 6pm)
AFTER the 3 days and 3 nights: early Sunday morning (or how we think of it, Saturday night after 6pm and before sunrise Sunday morning.

Under the confines of this particular understanding of what is considered to be "days and nights", this would fit the "three days and three nights" language of Matthew 12:40 in a literal sense. The problem is, if time keeping and calendar keeping was done differently 2,000 years ago than it is done today, and if different words/phrases/slang/etc were used 2,000 years ago than are used today, then it's not always the easiest thing in the world to make perfect sense out of such minutiae.

This sort of thing is also the problem with accurately understanding every single minutiae within the book of Revelation... For instance, how would a person from 2,000 years ago describe an airplane from today while using 2,000-year-ago lexicon? Would it be called a "massive bird"? How about an atomic bomb? How about a computer, or the internet? Under today's language, the words "massive bird" to me would maybe mean an ostrich, or if the bird was way up high in the air, then maybe it would mean an albatross or a pelican. I definitely wouldn't be thinking of what we would consider to be an airplane. Maybe one would try to use a word to describe the hardness of the material that the "massive bird" is made out of?

Anyway, I personally wouldn't get too lost in the minutiae (which might not translate the best into today's English and today's "methods") and would instead find the important part of this particular account to be the fact that (according to The Bible) Jesus was indeed crucified, indeed died, and indeed rose from the dead (just as he said would happen), since the absence of Jesus' body from the tomb (even though it was heavily guarded lest Jesus' disciples were to steal the body from the tomb) was personally witnessed by those who approached it after the stone was rolled away early in the morning on the first day of the week.
Edited on 12-02-2021 05:23
12-02-2021 05:27
(21599)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Wheeeeeee

CIAO

Meh.

Swan wrote:
Again heat is energy

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:
Heat

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Mantra 10b...20a2.
Swan wrote:

LOL not all energy is measured in joules

Sheesh

I am gonna have you tested

All energy is measured in joules. This is the SI unit for energy.
All power is measured in watts, which is one joule per second.

One BTU is 1055 joules. Heating equipment is commonly rated in BTU/hr.
One erg is 1* 10^-7 joules.

For power:
If you use 1 watt of power for 5 seconds, you have used 5 joules of energy. If you use 5 watts of power for 6 seconds, you have used 30 joules of energy.

1000 watts is one kilowatt (kW).
If you use 1 kW of power over one hour, you have used a fixed amount of energy, called a kilowatt hour. This is 1000 joules per second * 60 * 60 or 3600000 joules total, so
1kW/hour is 3.6 * 10^6 joules.

Power is not energy. It is the FLOW of energy. It is energy over time. If you use a certain amount of energy over time, you have a fixed amount of energy. You just sum it up, and you have a unit of energy again.

If you fill a bucket with a hose, that hose is putting out a certain number of gallons per hour. This is how fast you can fill a bucket (or a swimming pool, using that hose).

After running the hose for an hour and the hose had a FLOW of 5 gallons per hour, at the end of the hour the bucket would contain 5 gallons of water.

A hose requires pressure AND current for anything to flow. You get on current without pressure, and you get no flow without current. Gallons per hour is a way to measure current, just like watts is a way to measure energy flow.

Yes...Ohm's law works with plumbing too.

Voltage or pressure is potential energy. In fact, voltage is often represented by 'E' in Ohm's law, which stands for 'electromotive potential'. Like supporting a weight above the table, it is potential energy. It is what COULD happen should you release the weight, or release the coulombs of electrons, ready to FLOW.
Current is energy flow. This can be measured in amperes (for electricity) or gallons per hour (for plumbing). It is the same as dropping the weight. It is something that is MOVING. It is kinetic energy.

Together, and ONLY together, do you have power, measured in watts. You have work being done.

Power is heat, light, movement, or some of other form of work. It is not energy. It is the result of using energy.

When the weight hits the table, you hear a sound. That's work to create the sound. Both the weight and the table are also a bit warmer. That's work in the form of heat. The result of that heating is that both objects are now a bit warmer. Their temperature is NOT heat. It is simply the average thermal energy in an object.

Thus, potential energy, is kinetic energy by dropping the weight, and energy is converted to thermal energy after the weight has fallen.

In electronics, potential energy (voltage or a number of coulombs, ready to flow) is kinetic energy (current or coulombs per second flowing) and that energy can be converted into thermal energy, electromagnetic energy, kinetic energy, or some other form of energy.

The RATE of conversion is called POWER, measured in watts. In other words, the FLOW of energy, or work.

A hydroelectric plant requires a body of water at higher level than another one (potential energy), a way to allow flow from one to the other (kinetic energy), and a way to extract some of that flow, and only together that is power, in watts. That is the work that is turning the turbine blade in the plant, that turns the dynamo. The RATE of conversion of kinetic energy to electrical energy.

Electric power plants do not use generators anymore. They don't produce DC. They use dynamos. In many plants, a small alternator powered by a gasoline or diesel engine provides power to start the dynamo.

The Parrot Killer

12-02-2021 05:28
(21599)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Sheesh Yawn

Duh there are many kinds of energy, and many kinds of scales.....

The energy of your working brain is measured in poor decisions

Energy is measured in joules. That is the SI unit of energy.

The Parrot Killer

12-02-2021 05:35
(14413)
James___ wrote:My microwave oven is rated @ 1100 j/s.

Energy is Energy.

Power is Energy / Time.

Your microwave has a power rating, not an energy rating. Notice the "/s" that gives it away.

12-02-2021 05:35
(21599)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Sheesh Yawn

My microwave oven is rated @ 1100 j/s.

Which is the same as 1100W.
James___ wrote:
My car also has ~225,000 joules of power or is that ~225,000 watts of power? Same thing.

Nope. Watts is not joules. Watts is power. Joules is energy. Power is the RATE of energy flow.
James___ wrote:
ie., 1 h.p. = 745.70 joules.

WRONG. 1hp is 746 watts....not joules.
James___ wrote:
All energy can be quantified by any term that describes energy.

Correct. Do not confuse power with energy.
James___ wrote:
It's all relative. You guys will probably lose it when you consider that a 75 watt light bulb is emitting 75 joules/second.

Not at all. That's exactly what it does. Watts is the RATE of energy use...in this case, the RATE energy is converted into heat and light.
James___ wrote:
Maybe watts is just a shorter term that people can relate to?

Nope. Watts and joules are completely separate things.

The Parrot Killer

12-02-2021 06:07
(21599)
gfm7175 wrote:
A person from today would think the following, assuming a Friday crucifixion:

Day 1: Friday morning/evening
Night 1: Friday night into Saturday morning
Day 2: Saturday morning/evening
Night 2: Saturday night into Sunday morning
Day 3: Sunday morning/evening
Night 3: ??? But, but Jesus already rose prior to sometime Sunday MORNING according to the gospels!! ???

Gawd. The way we keep time is insane!

The time it takes Earth to make one complete revolution (sidereal time) is 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 11.2 seconds. Against our view of the sun as we move in orbit, we call this 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds, but this varies somewhat since Earth's spin is not a constant rotational speed! It varies throughout the year ever so slightly. So the length of day is....AHHHHHHH!

The Moon orbits the Earth every 27 days, 7 hours 43 minutes (this too varies slightly). This does not fit into an even number of days. Our months can be 28, 29, 30, or 31 days long, meaning the Moon does not match the length of any month, yet Easter and is the first Sunday of the month after the first full moon after the sprint equinox and.....AHHHHHHHH!

The Earth orbits the Sun in 365 days 6 hours 9 minutes 9 seconds which means we have to ADD an extra day to compensate every four years, which over compensates, so we have to NOT add a day every 400 years, which under compensates, so we have to add a second to the year, which over compensates, which....AHHHHHHHH!

Even timezones are insane. Different governments change between daylight savings time and standard time at different times of the year, if they change at all, which means you sometimes can't even tell what timezone some is in at the moment. As governments change, these dates change effectively on a whim...which...AHHHHHHH!

The beginning of the year is different too. Some people use Jan 1st. Others, use Feb 12th (at least this year), others use the friggen' Moon again, others use March 1st, others use April 1st, while others use....AHHHHHHHHH!

When some schmuck of a programmer tries to write code to handle time and calendars, this is what they face! AHHHHHHH!

The Parrot Killer

Page 3 of 4<1234>

Join the debate The Atmosphere and Heat:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Layers of the Atmosphere as Viewed in Blue2227-01-2024 23:16
Some can take the heat, and214-10-2023 13:26
upper atmosphere temp21207-10-2023 19:02
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
caest iron heat stoerage804-08-2021 06:52
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact