James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:
James___ wrote:
For the Good Christian gfm (am being an a$$hole here),

Thank you kindly.

James___ wrote:
Jesus was in the ground for 3 days while Easter is observed on the 3rd day when he rose. Yet he said he would be in the ground for 3 days.

This is an interesting one indeed, as Matthew 12:40 states: "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Is this passage referring to three literal days and three literal nights, to where a Friday crucifixion and a prior-to-Sunday-morning rising from the dead doesn't make logical sense?

Is this passage referring to some sort of idiom (such as "raining cats and dogs") to where a Friday crucifixion and a prior-to-Sunday-morning rising from the dead would still make sense under whatever the "three days and three nights" language means? (as idioms do not translate)

Then, there's also the issue of ancient time keeping/calendars/etc compared to how we keep time and calendars today...

A person from today would think the following, assuming a Friday crucifixion:

Day 1: Friday morning/evening
Night 1: Friday night into Saturday morning
Day 2: Saturday morning/evening
Night 2: Saturday night into Sunday morning
Day 3: Sunday morning/evening
Night 3: ??? But, but Jesus already rose prior to sometime Sunday MORNING according to the gospels!! ???

But, there's also theories that Jesus was actually crucified on a Wednesday, and apparently Jewish calendars of the time considered their "days" to be from sundown until sundown (or 6:00pm until 5:59pm, for example) instead of 12:00am until 11:59pm, as we currently do today, so assuming a Wednesday crucifixion and this Jewish sense of a "day" (even the language in the Genesis creation account mentions "and the evening and morning were the ____ day..." instead of "...morning and evening were..."):

Day 1: Thursday (or how we think of it, after 6pm Wednesday evening and into Thursday)
Day 2: Friday (or how we think of it, after 6pm Thursday evening and into Friday)
Day 3: Saturday (or how we think of it, after 6pm Friday evening and into Saturday)
Night 3: approaching Sunday morning (or how we think of it, Saturday up until 6pm)
AFTER the 3 days and 3 nights: early Sunday morning (or how we think of it, Saturday night after 6pm and before sunrise Sunday morning.

Under the confines of this particular understanding of what is considered to be "days and nights", this would fit the "three days and three nights" language of Matthew 12:40 in a literal sense. The problem is, if time keeping and calendar keeping was done differently 2,000 years ago than it is done today, and if different words/phrases/slang/etc were used 2,000 years ago than are used today, then it's not always the easiest thing in the world to make perfect sense out of such minutiae.

This sort of thing is also the problem with accurately understanding every single minutiae within the book of Revelation... For instance, how would a person from 2,000 years ago describe an airplane from today while using 2,000-year-ago lexicon? Would it be called a "massive bird"? How about an atomic bomb? How about a computer, or the internet? Under today's language, the words "massive bird" to me would maybe mean an ostrich, or if the bird was way up high in the air, then maybe it would mean an albatross or a pelican. I definitely wouldn't be thinking of what we would consider to be an airplane. Maybe one would try to use a word to describe the hardness of the material that the "massive bird" is made out of?

Anyway, I personally wouldn't get too lost in the minutiae (which might not translate the best into today's English and today's "methods") and would instead find the important part of this particular account to be the fact that (according to The Bible) Jesus was indeed crucified, indeed died, and indeed rose from the dead (just as he said would happen), since the absence of Jesus' body from the tomb (even though it was heavily guarded lest Jesus' disciples were to steal the body from the tomb) was personally witnessed by those who approached it after the stone was rolled away early in the morning on the first day of the week.

Luke 24:46 He told them, "This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day.

What Jesus said. It's just as easy to say he was in the ground Friday, Saturday and Sunday and rose on the 3rd day.
I prefer science and math. It's not as complicated.
12-02-2021 13:04
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Can I have a bag of Kilograms please.A bottle of Octane will do
12-02-2021 13:44
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
I realize that is what your mind masters tell you to say...

Did your mother spank you often

Did yours?

Nah, no need because I was always locked in the closet with Sybil and her friends, and none of them took a bath like ever.

CIAO
Edited on 12-02-2021 13:45
12-02-2021 13:54
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:LOL not all energy is measured in joules

LOL LOL No energy is measured in watts. Yawn.

Sheesh Yawn

Duh there are many kinds of energy, and many kinds of scales.....

The energy of your working brain is measured in poor decisions

Energy is measured in joules. That is the SI unit of energy.

Nope, as heat can be measured in BTU's, calories or joules, typically heat is measured in BTU's
12-02-2021 15:08
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:
Can I have a bag of Kilograms please.A bottle of Octane will do

What proof would you like your liter of octane in?
Attached image:

12-02-2021 15:25
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:My microwave oven is rated @ 1100 j/s.

Energy is Energy.

Power is Energy / Time.

Your microwave has a power rating, not an energy rating. Notice the "/s" that gives it away.

You miss the point that I'm making. All energy is relative. It's how energy is expressed will determine what term we use to describe it. A horsepower is energy because it has "flow". It moves to the 3rd member where it is converted into break HP which is what turns the tires on a car.
Electrical current is amperage based on a = w/v. Basically j/s divided by a current. And it's the ohms of resistance that determines voltage. If the line the heat is flowing through has no resistance, then there is no voltage.
And now we can see that resistance to a flow of heat is converted to a mechanical force when resistance is introduced. Yet a relationship between energy and heat is acknowledged.

And for gfm, Christmas is based on 3 full days in the ground. Dec. 21, the winter solstice which is the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere represent s the crucifixion.
The 22nd, 23rd and 24th represent 3 days in the ground. And on the 25th, Christ Is (more). In Spanish it's Christmas.
Edited on 12-02-2021 15:30
12-02-2021 15:30
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
gfm7175 wrote:
I realize that is what your mind masters tell you to say...

I always do what the voices in my head tell me to do
12-02-2021 15:35
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
duncan61 wrote: I always do what the voices in my head tell me to do

You're fine as long as you aren't talking back to them.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
12-02-2021 16:20
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
I was mind fukked by a goldfish once.I stared at it too long and this is what I looked like when people found me
12-02-2021 16:43
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
duncan61 wrote:I was mind fukked by a goldfish once.I stared at it too long and this is what I looked like when people found me

Attached image:

12-02-2021 18:28
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

Night 3: ??? But, but Jesus already rose prior to sometime Sunday MORNING according to the gospels!! ???

Gawd. The way we keep time is insane!

The time it takes Earth to make one complete revolution (sidereal time) is 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 11.2 seconds. Against our view of the sun as we move in orbit, we call this 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds, but this varies somewhat since Earth's spin is not a constant rotational speed! It varies throughout the year ever so slightly. So the length of day is....AHHHHHHH!

The Moon orbits the Earth every 27 days, 7 hours 43 minutes (this too varies slightly). This does not fit into an even number of days. Our months can be 28, 29, 30, or 31 days long, meaning the Moon does not match the length of any month, yet Easter and is the first Sunday of the month after the first full moon after the sprint equinox and.....AHHHHHHHH!

The Earth orbits the Sun in 365 days 6 hours 9 minutes 9 seconds which means we have to ADD an extra day to compensate every four years, which over compensates, so we have to NOT add a day every 400 years, which under compensates, so we have to add a second to the year, which over compensates, which....AHHHHHHHH!

Even timezones are insane. Different governments change between daylight savings time and standard time at different times of the year, if they change at all, which means you sometimes can't even tell what timezone some is in at the moment. As governments change, these dates change effectively on a whim...which...AHHHHHHH!

The beginning of the year is different too. Some people use Jan 1st. Others, use Feb 12th (at least this year), others use the friggen' Moon again, others use March 1st, others use April 1st, while others use....AHHHHHHHHH!

When some schmuck of a programmer tries to write code to handle time and calendars, this is what they face! AHHHHHHH!

Indeed. That's a very good synopsis of present day time keeping in a general sense. It is VERY involved, isn't it?

Now, since the gospels were presumably written some almost 2,000-ish years ago, we'd have to understand how time was kept back then (in the specific area of the world that the gospel writers were from). Obviously, people from those days didn't have digital watches, atomic clocks, programmed computers, and other sorts of technologies used for time keeping. They also did not know that Earth fully revolves every 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 11.2 seconds...

So how did they keep time back then? Without our modern technologies, they wouldn't be able to be nearly as technical and mechanical about it as we are today (and even today there are many issues with time keeping, as you pointed out). My presumption is that people would have been much more visual about it rather than mechanical, which would have issues of its own.

We know that the sun governs the day, and the moon governs the night, so in a purely visual sense (and in the manner that we would consider a "day" today), sunrise until sunset would be "day time" and sunset until the next sunrise would be "night time". However, like I got into in my other post, maybe the system in Jesus' area at Jesus' time didn't comprehend a "day" in that same way... Maybe they considered a sunset to be the beginning of a new day rather than a sunrise? Sounds weird to consider the beginning of a new day as "bedtime", doesn't it?
Yet, in our present day mechanically minded world, which is different from even those two options, we consider 12:00am to be the start of a new day.

And that's just keeping track of what would be considered to be a "day". What about months? Well, one could look to the moon (and the various moon phases) for that. A very thin sliver of a new moon could be a new month. What about years? Well, one would have to look to the rise and fall of the sun over the horizon for that (and the four seasons, iow the solstices and equinoxes).

They would obviously have to adjust their calendars somehow, as we STILL do today, because there would be discrepancies between a "solar year" and a "lunar year" (between months and seasons)... So maybe wait until the difference was about a month apart and add in an extra month?

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! ... don't you just enjoy the complexities of time keeping?
12-02-2021 22:43
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

The time it takes Earth to make one complete revolution (sidereal time) is 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 11.2 seconds. Against our view of the sun as we move in orbit, we call this 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds, but this varies somewhat since Earth's spin is not a constant rotational speed! It varies throughout the year ever so slightly. So the length of day is....AHHHHHHH!

The Moon orbits the Earth every 27 days, 7 hours 43 minutes (this too varies slightly). This does not fit into an even number of days. Our months can be 28, 29, 30, or 31 days long, meaning the Moon does not match the length of any month, yet Easter and is the first Sunday of the month after the first full moon after the sprint equinox and.....AHHHHHHHH!

The Earth orbits the Sun in 365 days 6 hours 9 minutes 9 seconds which means we have to ADD an extra day to compensate every four years, which over compensates, so we have to NOT add a day every 400 years, which under compensates, so we have to add a second to the year, which over compensates, which....AHHHHHHHH!

Even timezones are insane. Different governments change between daylight savings time and standard time at different times of the year, if they change at all, which means you sometimes can't even tell what timezone some is in at the moment. As governments change, these dates change effectively on a whim...which...AHHHHHHH!

The beginning of the year is different too. Some people use Jan 1st. Others, use Feb 12th (at least this year), others use the friggen' Moon again, others use March 1st, others use April 1st, while others use....AHHHHHHHHH!

When some schmuck of a programmer tries to write code to handle time and calendars, this is what they face! AHHHHHHH!

Indeed. That's a very good synopsis of present day time keeping in a general sense. It is VERY involved, isn't it?

Now, since the gospels were presumably written some almost 2,000-ish years ago, we'd have to understand how time was kept back then (in the specific area of the world that the gospel writers were from). Obviously, people from those days didn't have digital watches, atomic clocks, programmed computers, and other sorts of technologies used for time keeping. They also did not know that Earth fully revolves every 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 11.2 seconds...

So how did they keep time back then? Without our modern technologies, they wouldn't be able to be nearly as technical and mechanical about it as we are today (and even today there are many issues with time keeping, as you pointed out). My presumption is that people would have been much more visual about it rather than mechanical, which would have issues of its own.

We know that the sun governs the day, and the moon governs the night, so in a purely visual sense (and in the manner that we would consider a "day" today), sunrise until sunset would be "day time" and sunset until the next sunrise would be "night time". However, like I got into in my other post, maybe the system in Jesus' area at Jesus' time didn't comprehend a "day" in that same way... Maybe they considered a sunset to be the beginning of a new day rather than a sunrise? Sounds weird to consider the beginning of a new day as "bedtime", doesn't it?
Yet, in our present day mechanically minded world, which is different from even those two options, we consider 12:00am to be the start of a new day.

And that's just keeping track of what would be considered to be a "day". What about months? Well, one could look to the moon (and the various moon phases) for that. A very thin sliver of a new moon could be a new month. What about years? Well, one would have to look to the rise and fall of the sun over the horizon for that (and the four seasons, iow the solstices and equinoxes).

They would obviously have to adjust their calendars somehow, as we STILL do today, because there would be discrepancies between a "solar year" and a "lunar year" (between months and seasons)... So maybe wait until the difference was about a month apart and add in an extra month?

And Jesus lived in Egypt with his parents. Sheesh, those migrant workers. And with Egypt, the 365 day calendar with a leap year is theirs as well as a lunar calendar which better predicted the spring flooding of the Nile River.
The 365 day calendar allows for solstices while it seems the lunar calendar knows weather patterns.
Leave it to people to give 3 days such complicated meaning as individuals like yourself.
At the same time, how can the Moon influence the rains in Africa? 2,000 years ago this was an observed phenomena. It wasn't the 365 day calendar but the lunar calendar which told Egyptians when to plant.
Does this matter in Iowa? Maybe when they plant, instead of saying it's "the season", they should consider what the Moon says? The Moon might be right thus saving farmers from planting at the wrong time.

p.s., this last item about farmers might need to be considered. It is what helps farmers to survive, that is knowing when to plant.

p.s., It's been considered that the Jews also used the lunar calendar. For them, a lunar period was a year. An example is Genesis 5:4
After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters.
800/13 = 61.5 solar years. Is it possible that after Adam had his son Seth that he lived for 60 1/2 years?
This is funny is a sarcastic sense. My family wanted me to be a preacher while my Christian coworkers got me fired. I have my own life to live.

p.s.s., if ya'all don't get it, most people have no understanding of what the Bible says. What they know is their own wants.
From Psalm 23:1; The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Edited on 12-02-2021 23:26
12-02-2021 23:35
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
gfm7175 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

Farmers would use the equinox to time planting their crops. The plants themselves would indicate when it's time to harvest. In Egypt, the local priests marked the level of the Nile as it rose and fell throughout the season, then used their experience to predict the flooding stages and when they would happen. Like predicting the weather, they often got it wrong, but being priests, would simply blame that on the Gods. The local farmers listened tot hem though, because they got it reasonably right more often than wrong.

It was religion that gave us the mania for keeping precise time (Thanks, ye Gods!).

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 12-02-2021 23:36
12-02-2021 23:53
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

You got that wrong ITN. The lunar calendar was a better way to know when to expect the spring floods.

Farmers would use the equinox to time planting their crops. The plants themselves would indicate when it's time to harvest. In Egypt, the local priests marked the level of the Nile as it rose and fell throughout the season, then used their experience to predict the flooding stages and when they would happen. Like predicting the weather, they often got it wrong, but being priests, would simply blame that on the Gods. The local farmers listened tot hem though, because they got it reasonably right more often than wrong.

It was religion that gave us the mania for keeping precise time (Thanks, ye Gods!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKVGL95wDw
And 2 reasons to love Australia; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDxImCD4_QA
Edited on 13-02-2021 00:01
13-02-2021 00:46
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And for more about koalas;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk6fk9dij3Q
There's also many other native wildlife species. This is just/only 1 example.
This is graphic, viewer discretion is advised;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZwo9PtIHZU
Edited on 13-02-2021 01:28
13-02-2021 01:56
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdpTcvSn8HQ

Those wombats and marsupials. Just love America.

Edited on 13-02-2021 02:05
17-02-2021 17:32
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And with this article which is a new theory about where the comet came from that killed of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, it mentions the Sun's gravitational field. This along with the Van Allen Radiation belts could explain why the side of the Earth facing the Sun has a higher ceiling for the troposphere. This would mean that a lot of work is being done which can excite atmospheric gasses. And that in turn means heat can be produced by increasing the movement of gasses in our atmosphere.

Some of the Oort Cloud comets are often big, between 10 and 37 miles across. And, Siraj noticed, when such large chunks of rock pass close enough to the sun, its massive gravitational forces can tear the rocks into smaller chunks.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/astrophysicists-chart-source-asteroid-killed-dinosaurs-180977019/
Page 4 of 4<<<234

Join the debate The Atmosphere and Heat:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Layers of the Atmosphere as Viewed in Blue2227-01-2024 23:16
Some can take the heat, and214-10-2023 13:26
upper atmosphere temp21207-10-2023 19:02
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
caest iron heat stoerage804-08-2021 06:52
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact