Remember me
▼ Content

Tell your old college professors to check out climate-debate.com for biogeochemistry

Page 7 of 8<<<5678>
RE: extra stupid spam18-06-2023 09:14
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:An amphibian is any of a group of cold-blooded vertebrate animals (as frogs and toads) that have gills and live in water as larvae but breathe air as adults.

Wrong again. That is only an arbitrary, and poorly selected, label adopted by you and some others. In English, an amphibian is anything (noun) that has the quality of being amphibious (adjective).

You are incorrect until you fall in line with the English language. You don't get to pick and choose when English applies.

Since alligators are obviously amphibious, they are amphibians. You don't get a say in the matter.

Polar bears are amphibians as well. There is no denying it. You saw the images I posted.

I think you need a few boxes of KY jelly.
RE: spam18-06-2023 09:15
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Indeed an IQ is a meaningless number to the morons who are too dumb to be tested, like you are.

Got references in both high and low places

I got tested too. My IQ is 566. It explains why I never lose debates.

QUESTION: What do you call knowing everything by age 10?
ANSWER: IBDaMann getting off to a slow start.

Don't be afraid to come to me with the hard stuff.
RE: spam18-06-2023 09:17
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Curled 140 lbs today,

Impressive. Well done! I never got that high. 115 was my top workout level; I never tried to go beyond that.

Swan wrote: ... then I bought some companion marigolds for my tomato plants.

Nice.

Have you ever wondered what would happen to your tomato plants if our atmosphere weren't keeping the planet as cool as it does? Do you know what boiling tomatoes look like?

... not to mention what it would do to life on earth. Do you know what blackened amphibian looks like?

Enjoy!
RE: winning friends with every post18-06-2023 09:22
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:
squeal over's sock:No debating awards but did get one for teaching.

Those who can, do. Those who cannot, have no choice but to seek tenure at a university.

Getting an award for "teaching" is getting an award for one's inability to be good enough at anything else in order to be competitive.

squeal over's sock:I did once upon a time get an award for teaching. 1989.

A small minority among the TA's, including myself, received "Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor" awards from a rinky dink little school called the University of California at Berkeley.

Berkeley is thoroughly Marxist. They HATE the idea of competition because none of the faculty are competent at anything and they have no intention of training any of their students to be competitive ... so they hand out awards for everything superficial like they are the Special Olympics. The grad student next to you probably got the "Amazing Graduate Student" ribbon and the one behind him probably got the "Best Swagger" award.

squeal over's sock:Let's see... 1999. An actual teacher in college, but not a real professor.

So, you were officially not competitive in anything in 1999. Check.

squeal over's sock:Almost no teaching positions at community colleges want a biogeochemist.

... because that's a religious title, not an academic discipline.

You don't know any science, and you are trying to sell yourself as knowing science. The best you can do is to invent a religion and pretend that it is "thettled thienth."

Of course nobody want's to hire anyone whose only credential is that he really, really , really believes that his WACKY religion is falsifiable science.

squeal over's sock:So, I was an adjunct faculty freeway flyer at two community colleges.

They were apparently desperate as well. All the competent people were out competing in their disciplines and being successful.

squeal over's sock:One of them was a tiny Native American tribal college.

I can see that. Probably not accredited.

squeal over's sock:On weekends there I got to teach entirely in Spanish to a different group of students.

I've done that ... but it was in standardized business processes at NATO for Spanish officers. It turns out that they have their own technical terms for things and I amplified my vocabulary substantially.

squeal over's sock:The other one was HUGE. The single most ethnically diverse community college in all the United States, with a student population the size of small town.

So, not the brightest bulbs in the pack but the most diverse in physical appearance. Got it.

squeal over's sock:So, I figure a person should choose to do the things that they are best at.

... which, in your case, is not English grammar. ... and not science. ... and not math.

You are good at speaking to people who have wide-ranging physical appearances. Yay!

Everybody can do that.

squeal over's sock:Presuming that they are best at doing something of genuine value.

So you get my point. Good.

Why would any rational adult want to engage in discussion with this troll?
18-06-2023 16:10
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Spamming isn't going to get you control over this site. You don't own it, and you have no power over it. We have Swan and Buddha spamming, and nothing has changed. The internet is full of climate discussion sites, most of which dominated by true-believers. People who will easily accept anything you post, that supports the 'cause'. You would likely get banned, if you posted an opposing view on many. Some might patiently try to convert you over, if they believe you were simply mis-informed.

Like it, or leave it, but not everyone is going to buy into the climate-crisis. The planet is going to be fine. Changes all the time, and humans have done well with rolling with major changes, finding ways to survive, and thrive. Humans have just gotten a little to comfortable, little lazy, big ego. Think they can change/control everything. Given time, resources, and spending lots of other people's money. You are one of those lazy humans. Rather than find a site that better suits your interests, you got stuck on changing/controlling this site. but, even if you did gain control, you would still only have, what you could get from hundreds of other climate sites, people who all agree, who attack anyone who doesn't. Non-believers, who fail to convert, would be banned.

For me, the basis of climate change has always seemed off. There was easily the same likelihood of coincidence. The only thing that really tipped it, was a consensus. Many didn't come off as really believing, only believing it could be possible, based on the information presented. It's our first inter-glacial, so we have no way of actually knowing what to expect. We don't know that every inter-glacial progresses the same. Climate-change is entirely based on interpretation, and opinion. More belief, than science.

Change is good, and we will be better off in the long term. It'll be rough for a few generations. Most governments will fail, since the can't control the planet, the weather. Who can have faith in a government that promises the impossible, throws it all in, for a fight that can never be won? Fools don't rule for long...

Most of the alternative/clean energy projects have been proof-of-concept. An attempt to prove that it can work. Unfortunately creating a lot of new problems, and conflicts. The expected service life of these projects, limited to under 20 years. Should be seeing a lot of fail/replace over the next 5-10 years, on the same scale as new installations. Can't really complete a new solar or wind farm, when most of the components are need to keep prior builds functional. Most will never regain full function of when they were new. We can do a lot of things. Many of which just aren't very practical.
18-06-2023 16:27
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Spamming isn't going to get you control over this site. You don't own it, and you have no power over it. We have Swan and Buddha spamming, and nothing has changed. The internet is full of climate discussion sites, most of which dominated by true-believers. People who will easily accept anything you post, that supports the 'cause'. You would likely get banned, if you posted an opposing view on many. Some might patiently try to convert you over, if they believe you were simply mis-informed.

Like it, or leave it, but not everyone is going to buy into the climate-crisis. The planet is going to be fine. Changes all the time, and humans have done well with rolling with major changes, finding ways to survive, and thrive. Humans have just gotten a little to comfortable, little lazy, big ego. Think they can change/control everything. Given time, resources, and spending lots of other people's money. You are one of those lazy humans. Rather than find a site that better suits your interests, you got stuck on changing/controlling this site. but, even if you did gain control, you would still only have, what you could get from hundreds of other climate sites, people who all agree, who attack anyone who doesn't. Non-believers, who fail to convert, would be banned.

For me, the basis of climate change has always seemed off. There was easily the same likelihood of coincidence. The only thing that really tipped it, was a consensus. Many didn't come off as really believing, only believing it could be possible, based on the information presented. It's our first inter-glacial, so we have no way of actually knowing what to expect. We don't know that every inter-glacial progresses the same. Climate-change is entirely based on interpretation, and opinion. More belief, than science.

Change is good, and we will be better off in the long term. It'll be rough for a few generations. Most governments will fail, since the can't control the planet, the weather. Who can have faith in a government that promises the impossible, throws it all in, for a fight that can never be won? Fools don't rule for long...

Most of the alternative/clean energy projects have been proof-of-concept. An attempt to prove that it can work. Unfortunately creating a lot of new problems, and conflicts. The expected service life of these projects, limited to under 20 years. Should be seeing a lot of fail/replace over the next 5-10 years, on the same scale as new installations. Can't really complete a new solar or wind farm, when most of the components are need to keep prior builds functional. Most will never regain full function of when they were new. We can do a lot of things. Many of which just aren't very practical.

Actually on average this site gets about 1.18 posts per hour since inception in 2015, and without me that number drops to under 1 post per hour. So, if I were a spammer, I would be the world's record holding slowest spammer in the history of fake government message boards that have 4 total active users like this one has.

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
RE: troll biology 10124-10-2023 22:28
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
[quote]Swan wrote:
I like retards which is why I like you

Actually Mr. Dahmer nothing that you can babble here will make an alligator into an amphibian because alligators are reptiles.

Are alligators amphibians?
Alligators are not amphibians. Instead, they are reptiles. Examples of animals that are amphibians include frogs, toads, salamanders, and newts. Amphibians have a complex life cycle, and they spend time on both land and in water. The skin of an amphibian needs to stay moist at all times because this is how they absorb oxygen.

On the other hand, the skin on reptiles is scaly and dry, and reptiles breathe through their lungs instead of through their skin. Other reptiles are crocodiles, lizards, snakes, and turtles.

However you are free to babble until the day you die and it seems that you will be doing just that

Ironic that a member who calls others "retards" didn't even know that frogs have lungs.

Troll Biology 101
24-10-2023 22:39
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]Swan wrote:

Actually Mr. Dahmer nothing that you can babble here will make an alligator into an amphibian because alligators are reptiles.

Alligators are not amphibians. Instead, they are reptiles. Examples of animals that are amphibians include frogs, toads, salamanders, and newts. Amphibians have a complex life cycle, and they spend time on both land and in water. The skin of an amphibian needs to stay moist at all times because this is how they absorb oxygen.

On the other hand, the skin on reptiles is scaly and dry, and reptiles breathe through their lungs instead of through their skin. Other reptiles are crocodiles, lizards, snakes, and turtles.

However you are free to babble until the day you die and it seems that you will be doing just that

Ironic that a member who calls others "retards" didn't even know that frogs have lungs.

Troll Biology 101

It is great news that you have finally accepted my view that alligators are amphibious reptiles that are not amphibians. I always knew that you would see it my way.

So is it fun being triggered?

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

25-10-2023 21:13
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]Swan wrote:

Troll Biology 101

It is great news that you have finally accepted my view that alligators are amphibious reptiles that are not amphibians. I always knew that you would see it my way.

You twits still don't seem to know what 'amphibian' means.
Hilarious!

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
25-10-2023 22:31
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]Swan wrote:

Troll Biology 101

Hilarious!

Are you a frogman?
26-10-2023 03:23
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]Swan wrote:

Troll Biology 101

Hilarious!

An alligator is a reptile, get over it.

ULTRA MAGA

26-10-2023 07:40
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
Swan wrote:

And you know this because reptiles do not absorb oxygen through their skin, right?
26-10-2023 10:48
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]Swan wrote:

Troll Biology 101

Hilarious!

It is also an amphibian. Get over it.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
26-10-2023 13:27
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:

And you know this because reptiles do not absorb oxygen through their skin, right?

Actually I just know the classification for alligators, which is

Kingdom Animalia Phylum Chordata Class Reptilia Order Crocodylia Family Alligatoridae Genus Alligator Species mississippiensis

What are amphibians and reptiles?
Amphibians are frogs, toads, newts and salamanders. Most amphibians have complex life cycles with time on land and in the water. Their skin must stay moist to absorb oxygen and therefore lacks scales. Reptiles are turtles, snakes, lizards, alligators and crocodiles. Unlike amphibians, reptiles breathe only through their lungs and have dry, scaly skin that prevents them from drying out.

Amphibians and reptiles are together called herpetofauna, or "herps" for short. All herps are "cold-blooded," which means they lack an internal thermostat. Instead they must regulate body heat through their interactions with the environment. For example, a turtle warms itself by basking in the sun and a lizard can regulate its body temp with "shuttling" behaviors, moving in and out of cover.

ULTRA MAGA

27-10-2023 20:46
(21600)
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:

Kingdom Animalia Phylum Chordata Class Reptilia Order Crocodylia Family Alligatoridae Genus Alligator Species mississippiensis

Amphibians are frogs, toads, newts and salamanders. Most amphibians have complex life cycles with time on land and in the water. Their skin must stay moist to absorb oxygen and therefore lacks scales. Reptiles are turtles, snakes, lizards, alligators and crocodiles. Unlike amphibians, reptiles breathe only through their lungs and have dry, scaly skin that prevents them from drying out.

Amphibians and reptiles are together called herpetofauna, or "herps" for short. All herps are "cold-blooded," which means they lack an internal thermostat. Instead they must regulate body heat through their interactions with the environment. For example, a turtle warms itself by basking in the sun and a lizard can regulate its body temp with "shuttling" behaviors, moving in and out of cover.

Still don't know what an amphibian is, eh?

The Parrot Killer

27-10-2023 21:32
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:

You still cannot accept that alligators are amphibious reptiles, that cannot breathe through their skin like amphibians are able too.

Your life is a waste of 25 years of ebducation

ULTRA MAGA

27-10-2023 21:44
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swanee (a Hindu male religious teacher.) could learn a thing or 2 from you about how to properly interact with other people in a respectful and productive manner.
27-10-2023 22:45
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
James_ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swanee (a Hindu male religious teacher.) could learn a thing or 2 from you about how to properly interact with other people in a respectful and productive manner.

Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people, and I want him brought right here! With a big ribbon on his head! And I want to look him straight in the eye, and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

ULTRA MAGA

28-10-2023 02:18
(5197)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:

Amphibian is anything you can throw in the water, and does die, or get destroyed. Semantically, most anything can be amphibious. Rediculous argument...
RE: Gotta Stay Wet28-10-2023 06:52
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
I think what actually defines something that is amphibious is that it sin has to stay moist so it can absorb oxygen through its skin. And fish have gills while mammals need to come up for air (have lungs). And then there's the lung fish. ttps://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/west-african-lungfish#:~:text=Thanks%20to%20its%20unique%20physiology,breathe%20when%20water%20dries%20up.
28-10-2023 13:38
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
James_ wrote:
I think what actually defines something that is amphibious is that it sin has to stay moist so it can absorb oxygen through its skin. And fish have gills while mammals need to come up for air (have lungs). And then there's the lung fish. ttps://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/west-african-lungfish#:~:text=Thanks%20to%20its%20unique%20physiology,breathe%20when%20water%20dries%20up.

Which makes an alligator a reptile, with amphibious ability

ULTRA MAGA

28-10-2023 22:04
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:

Unlike amphibians, reptiles breathe only through their lungs and have dry, scaly skin that prevents them from drying out.
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/amphibian_conservation/faq.html

Apparently I've learned something from the documentaries I've watched.

PARADOX ALERT!!!

How does an alligator having dry skin prevent it from drying out? Wouldn't its dry skin be the problem? It's dry skin creates a barrier between everything inside the scales and the water outside of the scales. If an alligator didn't have a protective barrier then the water in its body would migrate to the larger body of water outside of the alligator. That's because water is more cohesive than adhesive (sticking to things other than other water molecules)
Edited on 28-10-2023 22:09
28-10-2023 23:35
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:

Unlike amphibians, reptiles breathe only through their lungs and have dry, scaly skin that prevents them from drying out.

PARADOX ALERT!!!

How does an alligator having dry skin prevent it from drying out? Wouldn't its dry skin be the problem? It's dry skin creates a barrier between everything inside the scales and the water outside of the scales. If an alligator didn't have a protective barrier then the water in its body would migrate to the larger body of water outside of the alligator. That's because water is more cohesive than adhesive (sticking to things other than other water molecules)

Actually alligators only have dry skin for very short periods of time

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 28-10-2023 23:37
29-10-2023 07:54
(21600)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:

Amphibian is anything you can throw in the water, and does die, or get destroyed. Semantically, most anything can be amphibious. Rediculous argument...

Nope. Amphibian first appeared in the English lexicon around 1630. Stemming from the Greek 'amphi' meaning dual or both, and 'bios' meaning life. Effectively, then a 'double life', one in water, the other on land.

This includes crocodiles, alligators, frogs, various lizards and newts, even some fish.
Man made vehicles can be said to be amphibian as well, since they can travel through water or on land.

The meaning of amphibian has not changed.

The Parrot Killer

29-10-2023 08:02
(21600)
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:

PARADOX ALERT!!!

Alligator skin is quite supple. It does not dry out until the animal dies. I've held them and they are very soft. The even cuddle into you because you are warmer than they are.

Just put a band around their jaws and they can't bite (they do like to bite!).

An alligator is an amphibian. They must return to the water from time to time or they will die.

The Parrot Killer

29-10-2023 08:27
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
Into the Night wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:

PARADOX ALERT!!!

Alligator skin is quite supple. It does not dry out until the animal dies. I've held them and they are very soft. The even cuddle into you because you are warmer than they are.

An alligator is an amphibian. They must return to the water from time to time or they will die.

They're not snakes, a04.
29-10-2023 12:38
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:

Nope. Amphibian first appeared in the English lexicon around 1630. Stemming from the Greek 'amphi' meaning dual or both, and 'bios' meaning life. Effectively, then a 'double life', one in water, the other on land.

This includes crocodiles, alligators, frogs, various lizards and newts, even some fish.
Man made vehicles can be said to be amphibian as well, since they can travel through water or on land.

Try again kiddy

am·phib·i·an
/amˈ(p)fibēən/
noun
a cold-blooded vertebrate animal of a class that comprises the frogs, toads, newts, and salamanders. They are distinguished by having an aquatic gill-breathing larval stage followed (typically) by a terrestrial lung-breathing adult stage.

Alligators and crocs are reptiles that cannot breathe through their skin as amphibians can nor do they have a larval stage as they hatch fully formed from eggs.

ULTRA MAGA

29-10-2023 14:18
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:

PARADOX ALERT!!!

Alligators are classified as reptiles, just like your great grandfather from Proxima Centauri

What are the 7 levels of classification for an Alligator?

General Description Taxonomy

ULTRA MAGA

29-10-2023 17:44
(5197)
Semantically, most everything is amphibian... You can take a fish out of water, throw it on the ground. It will twitch, flop around, like Swan off his meds for quite a while. Use to be a common practice for invasive species like carp, or Alligator Gar fish. They sometimes make it back into the water, swim off. Preference of environment, doesn't define a species. Definitions are based on several characteristics, not just land/water. Are there amphibian plants?

This is a stupid argument. Land/water is just one characteristic, not the most important either. Narrow minds, narrow arguments for those only interested in playing games.
29-10-2023 20:30
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:

Try again kiddy

am·phib·i·an
/amˈ(p)fibēən/
noun
a cold-blooded vertebrate animal of a class that comprises the frogs, toads, newts, and salamanders. They are distinguished by having an aquatic gill-breathing larval stage followed (typically) by a terrestrial lung-breathing adult stage.

Alligators and crocs are reptiles that cannot breathe through their skin as amphibians can nor do they have a larval stage as they hatch fully formed from eggs.

I see you still have no idea what 'amphibian' means.

The Parrot Killer

29-10-2023 20:31
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:

PARADOX ALERT!!!

Alligators are classified as reptiles, just like your great grandfather from Proxima Centauri

Alligators are reptiles and amphibians.

The Parrot Killer

29-10-2023 20:34
(21600)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Semantically, most everything is amphibian... You can take a fish out of water, throw it on the ground. It will twitch, flop around, like Swan off his meds for quite a while. Use to be a common practice for invasive species like carp, or Alligator Gar fish. They sometimes make it back into the water, swim off. Preference of environment, doesn't define a species. Definitions are based on several characteristics, not just land/water. Are there amphibian plants?

This is a stupid argument. Land/water is just one characteristic, not the most important either. Narrow minds, narrow arguments for those only interested in playing games.

No. Forcing a fish out of water does not make it an amphibian.
Yes. There are amphibian plants.

The Parrot Killer

29-10-2023 20:39
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Actually amphibians can breathe thru their skin, gators cannot

ULTRA MAGA

29-10-2023 20:42
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:

PARADOX ALERT!!!

Wrong because alligators hatch fully formed from an egg with no nymph stage.

You are cute as a baby goat when you try to be difficult

ULTRA MAGA

29-10-2023 23:35
(5197)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

And, if you forced alligator to only live in water, they couldn't reproduce... Eggs laid on dry land. Also, being cold blooded, they need to leave the water to warm up. Cold-shock while in the water can kill them.

There is a 'walking' catfish...

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-fish/species-profiles/clarias-batrachus/

Walking Catfish
Walking catfish. Photo courtesy U.S. Geological Survey
Walking catfish. Photo courtesy U.S. Geological Survey
Clarias batrachus

This long, dark fish has lung-like organs and a high tolerance to harsh living conditions, and it can leave the water to walk/wiggle to a better location as long as it stays moist. Although it is native to Southeast Asia, it has successfully invaded other areas with the help of humans, including eastern India, Pakistan, the Philippines, and South Florida. Because of their mobility and tolerance, and their indiscriminate feeding habits, they have been labeled an aggressively invasive species and blacklisted in several countries, including the US.

Order – Siluriformes
Family – Clariidae
Genus – Clarias
Species – batrachus
RE: not all amphibians are amphibious31-10-2023 21:42
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
For people who actually ever studied science, there was no "debate" about whether or not alligators can be scientifically classified as amphibians.

But then it became about the adjective "amphibious".

"Amphibious" can refer to inanimate objects. (amphibious assault vehicle)

"Amphibious" could refer to the life cycle of many insects - larval stage lives in water, adult stage on land. But these animals are not in the phylum chordata, sub phylum vertebrata. Kind of a requirement to be an amphibian.

Many amphibians aren't even amphibious.

I was seven years old visiting the redwoods at Prairie Creek state park. The adult salamanders in the creek had GILLS. The rangers warned us that they could die if we caught them and took them out of the water. Once their gills got dry, that would be it. I am more amphibious than those salamanders.

I wasn't much older when we found a newt in the sand dunes. This adult amphibian was breathing through lungs, not gills. But if we put it in the water, its only move would be to try to swim to shore, with difficulty. I am more amphibious than that newt.

Much later I learned about the tree frogs in the montane cloud forest. Their entire lives are spent above ground in the trees. Some species create a mucus sack full of water to lay their eggs in, up in the tree. The juvenile stage is a tadpole getting oxygen through gills, but it never leaves the egg. After metamorphosis, it emerges as an air breathing adult which never goes near a body of surface water. I am more amphibious than those tree frogs.

But natural science is not a word game.

It has been more than two centuries now that every valid scientific textbook has classified alligators as reptiles.

Word games about what is "amphibious" don't change that.

They just reveal ignorance.

And scientific illiteracy.
01-11-2023 20:44
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
Im a BM wrote:
For people who actually ever studied science, there was no "debate" about whether or not alligators can be scientifically classified as amphibians.

But then it became about the adjective "amphibious".

"Amphibious" can refer to inanimate objects. (amphibious assault vehicle)

"Amphibious" could refer to the life cycle of many insects - larval stage lives in water, adult stage on land. But these animals are not in the phylum chordata, sub phylum vertebrata. Kind of a requirement to be an amphibian.

Many amphibians aren't even amphibious.

I was seven years old visiting the redwoods at Prairie Creek state park. The adult salamanders in the creek had GILLS. The rangers warned us that they could die if we caught them and took them out of the water. Once their gills got dry, that would be it. I am more amphibious than those salamanders.

I wasn't much older when we found a newt in the sand dunes. This adult amphibian was breathing through lungs, not gills. But if we put it in the water, its only move would be to try to swim to shore, with difficulty. I am more amphibious than that newt.

Much later I learned about the tree frogs in the montane cloud forest. Their entire lives are spent above ground in the trees. Some species create a mucus sack full of water to lay their eggs in, up in the tree. The juvenile stage is a tadpole getting oxygen through gills, but it never leaves the egg. After metamorphosis, it emerges as an air breathing adult which never goes near a body of surface water. I am more amphibious than those tree frogs.

But natural science is not a word game.

It has been more than two centuries now that every valid scientific textbook has classified alligators as reptiles.

Word games about what is "amphibious" don't change that.

They just reveal ignorance.

And scientific illiteracy.

SOooo, as an educated person you disagree with how a species breathes and instead uses how a motor vehicle is considered? And now I doubt you're educated.
01-11-2023 22:28
(21600)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Actually amphibians can breathe thru their skin, gators cannot

An alligator is amphibian. Some amphibians can breath through their skin (sort of).

The Parrot Killer

01-11-2023 22:30
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:

PARADOX ALERT!!!

Wrong because alligators hatch fully formed from an egg with no nymph stage.

Which is the same as snakes, many of which are also amphibians.

The Parrot Killer

01-11-2023 22:35
(21600)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

And, if you forced alligator to only live in water, they couldn't reproduce... Eggs laid on dry land.

Same as many frogs and snakes, many of which are also amphibians.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Also, being cold blooded, they need to leave the water to warm up. Cold-shock while in the water can kill them.

Cold shock isn't likely in Florida waters!
HarveyH55 wrote:
There is a 'walking' catfish...

There's all kinds of wacky creatures in Florida.

The Parrot Killer

Page 7 of 8<<<5678>

Join the debate Tell your old college professors to check out climate-debate.com for biogeochemistry:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Biogeochemistry Debunked2121-06-2023 22:46
What is Biogeochemistry?7207-06-2023 02:20
You work hard, to get your kids in college...1324-06-2019 23:01
Reality check: Maxime Bernier says CO2 isn't a pollutant. Climate scientists say he's wrong024-02-2019 04:38
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact