Remember me
▼ Content

So I did a little experiment.......

So I did a little experiment.......08-07-2020 17:41
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Well, sort of... Pay attention science deniers:

So, I took a Nalgene brand 48oz wide-mouth plastic bottle and I put a whole tray of ice into it (16 ice cubes). I then filled it up to the 48oz line with cold water. After 2.5 hours, I took a look at the bottle before taking a drink from it. The ice cubes were no longer there.

The water level was...... SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!!!!! ........

... STILL at 48oz...

I guess I shouldn't have been freaking out about water eventually gushing out of my bottle...

Edit: This also just reminded me of my debatepolitics.com days when ITN and I were getting under people's skins by telling them that they couldn't melt ice (that they were instead melting water).
Edited on 08-07-2020 18:20
08-07-2020 18:33
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
gfm7175 wrote:

So, I took a Nalgene brand 48oz wide-mouth plastic bottle and I put a whole tray of ice into it (16 ice cubes). I then filled it up to the 48oz line with cold water. After 2.5 hours, I took a look at the bottle before taking a drink from it. The ice cubes were no longer there.

... STILL at 48oz...

Did you use tap water or natural saline sea water?

Aaaahhh, that might be the problem.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
08-07-2020 19:07
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

... STILL at 48oz...

I used water from my well at home...

damnit... experiment ruined...
08-07-2020 20:02
(14414)
gfm7175 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

... STILL at 48oz...

I used water from my well at home...

damnit... experiment ruined...

The good news is that we won't be running out of natural sea water anytime soon. For the present it is cheap and plentiful.

The bad news ... Wisconsin ...

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
08-07-2020 21:05
(3314)
09-07-2020 07:58
(14414)
gfm7175 wrote:

On the question of sea-level rise, I have been prompted to examine Perth a bit more closely and I discovered that the final construction for Victoria Quay was completed in 1897.

I give that a rough estimate of 123 years ago. Since then only buildings, shelters and surfacing (like adding parking lots) has been changed.

This is what the water level was like relative to Victoria Quay in 1927:

... and this is how it appears today:

I have therefore updated the "Ways to Verify there is no Discernible Sea Level Rise" page on Politiplex to include this (Entry #5) ... but I also encourage everyone to take a quick glance at Victoria Quay on Google Maps and sort of confirm in the mind.

Edited on 09-07-2020 08:03
09-07-2020 08:19
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:

... STILL at 48oz...

I guess I shouldn't have been freaking out about water eventually gushing out of my bottle...

Edit: This also just reminded me of my debatepolitics.com days when ITN and I were getting under people's skins by telling them that they couldn't melt ice (that they were instead melting water).

And my parents did a"little experiment". 6 kids later they found out that genetic material could be shared. What can I say? They were enthusiastic about their research. Some people would say they were quite"productive".
They found research"stimulating" and an uplifting experience.
09-07-2020 17:21
(14414)
James___ wrote: They found research"stimulating" and an uplifting experience.

If you are ever going to discuss sea level rise, have a ball! (specifically, a sea level ball)
Attached image:

09-07-2020 20:47
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: They found research"stimulating" and an uplifting experience.

If you are ever going to discuss sea level rise, have a ball! (specifically, a sea level ball)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/6226537/England-is-sinking-while-Scotland-rises-above-sea-levels-according-to-new-study.html
10-07-2020 05:08
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Good work .I was hoping you would do that.The plumber I worked for yesterday was in Cloverdale so a long way from Fremantle.I am looking forward to Monday nights zoom meeting with my Warmazombie mates
10-07-2020 18:31
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

On the question of sea-level rise, I have been prompted to examine Perth a bit more closely and I discovered that the final construction for Victoria Quay was completed in 1897.

I give that a rough estimate of 123 years ago. Since then only buildings, shelters and surfacing (like adding parking lots) has been changed.

This is what the water level was like relative to Victoria Quay in 1927:

... and this is how it appears today:

I have therefore updated the "Ways to Verify there is no Discernible Sea Level Rise" page on Politiplex to include this (Entry #5) ... but I also encourage everyone to take a quick glance at Victoria Quay on Google Maps and sort of confirm in the mind.

Indeed you are correct. I see no discernible sea level rise there.
10-07-2020 23:06
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:

Indeed you are correct. I see no discernible sea level rise there.

Umm, that's Perth and according to Australia, sea level there has risen. By the way, it also looks like it has risen. I've been there before on board the USS Kitty Hawk and we had to be ferried by LCMs so got a good look at the water front and sea level

I think ITN said that if you haven't been there then you shouldn't talk about it. He did use the Gulf Stream as an example. If you haven't been on it then you can't know it. And of course I've been on that as well.

It's good to get out of the US. Helps to have a broader perspective.

p.s., at the time the Perth/Freemantle area didn't have a dock large enough for an aircraft carrier.
Attached image:

Edited on 10-07-2020 23:12
10-07-2020 23:56
(14414)
James___ wrote: Umm, that's Perth and according to Australia, sea level there has risen.

One can only be of that position by denying photographic evidence to the contrary.

Besides, Australia cannot authoritatively claim that the sea level has risen for them but not for anyone else. Photographic evidence shows the same lack of sea level rise for other places. I don't know if you are familiar with the dynamics of water but it's either all of the ocean rises or none of it does.

James___ wrote: By the way, it also looks like it has risen.

It quite clearly appears to have not risen any in the last 123 years.

Take a look at RAF base Gan, built at an elevation more or less around 6-feet above sea level in 1940 and the sea level at what is now Gan Airport today hasn't changed to any perceptible extent.

11-07-2020 00:26
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
None of Rev. Al Gore's movie crap happened, not even a little, except the gullible follower crap, who bought solar panels, windmills, and electric street-legal golf carts.
11-07-2020 03:38
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
The second photo is looking up the river.If you do a 180 you would be looking at the ocean.There has been no sea level change in my lifetime so if it is going up but that slow does it matter.the tide goes from .3-1.3 but is usualy only 300-500 mm from high to low
11-07-2020 05:40
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: Umm, that's Perth and according to Australia, sea level there has risen.

One can only be of that position by denying photographic evidence to the contrary.

Besides, Australia cannot authoritatively claim that the sea level has risen for them but not for anyone else. Photographic evidence shows the same lack of sea level rise for other places. I don't know if you are familiar with the dynamics of water but it's either all of the ocean rises or none of it does.

Take a look at RAF base Gan, built at an elevation more or less around 6-feet above sea level in 1940 and the sea level at what is now Gan Airport today hasn't changed to any perceptible extent.

This "holy link" will explain why the Maldives elevation increased after the 2004 earthquake in the Indian Ocean. I hope you guys are literate. But because you cry at having to read something for yourselves. Just too d@mned lazy. Just so you know it's a "holy quote".

He and his team had already surveyed 13 small islands in the Maldives, before the tsunami in 2002 and 2003, so they were in a perfect position to assess the effects of the tsunami.

The first thing Kench and his team discovered was that the tsunami was not nearly as high at the Maldives as along other coasts. That's because there is no continental shelf along which the waves could build up and break.

Instead, says Kench, the highest in the series of waves from the Great Sumatra-Andaman Earthquake were only about 3 metres, which washed over the 1.5 to 2 metre-high islands and then kept racing toward Africa.

"There weren't these thundering walls of water crashing across the islands," says Kench. "Nevertheless, they all went underwater."

The islands were also spared any backwash, which doubled the scouring effect elsewhere, Kench says.

On the contrary, the tsunami scoured only the eastern sides of the islands, where it struck and carried the coral beach sand over the islands. As much as 30 centimetres of sand was deposited on top of one island, with the others gaining 5 to 10 centimetres.
https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2006/03/17/1594485.htm

And IBDM, it's not my job to educate you guys when you have no interest in learning. You guys just want people jumping through hoops for you.
And since you don't understand how England could sink while Scotland is rising, appearing that's where tectonic plate rebound is having 2 different effects. England was higher in elevation when countries like Norway had lower elevations because of the mass of glaciers around the Arctic and Northern Hemisphere.
And that kind of shows a tipping point for tectonic plate rebound. Can I have some of what you 're smoking? I mean you guys don't seem to understand either Earth sciences or geology.

p.s., 230,000 people died because of that tsunami but you didn't know anyone so it didn't matter, right? That mantra gets old. The coronavirus is at 563,000 and only 136,000 in the US.
I tend to find that kind of attitude disgusting. You know, it didn't happen to someone you know.
Edited on 11-07-2020 06:29
11-07-2020 15:49
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

This "holy link" will explain why the Maldives elevation increased after the 2004 earthquake in the Indian Ocean. I hope you guys are literate. But because you cry at having to read something for yourselves. Just too d@mned lazy. Just so you know it's a "holy quote".

He and his team had already surveyed 13 small islands in the Maldives, before the tsunami in 2002 and 2003, so they were in a perfect position to assess the effects of the tsunami.

The first thing Kench and his team discovered was that the tsunami was not nearly as high at the Maldives as along other coasts. That's because there is no continental shelf along which the waves could build up and break.

Instead, says Kench, the highest in the series of waves from the Great Sumatra-Andaman Earthquake were only about 3 metres, which washed over the 1.5 to 2 metre-high islands and then kept racing toward Africa.

"There weren't these thundering walls of water crashing across the islands," says Kench. "Nevertheless, they all went underwater."

The islands were also spared any backwash, which doubled the scouring effect elsewhere, Kench says.

On the contrary, the tsunami scoured only the eastern sides of the islands, where it struck and carried the coral beach sand over the islands. As much as 30 centimetres of sand was deposited on top of one island, with the others gaining 5 to 10 centimetres.
https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2006/03/17/1594485.htm

And IBDM, it's not my job to educate you guys when you have no interest in learning. You guys just want people jumping through hoops for you.
And since you don't understand how England could sink while Scotland is rising, appearing that's where tectonic plate rebound is having 2 different effects. England was higher in elevation when countries like Norway had lower elevations because of the mass of glaciers around the Arctic and Northern Hemisphere.
And that kind of shows a tipping point for tectonic plate rebound. Can I have some of what you 're smoking? I mean you guys don't seem to understand either Earth sciences or geology.

p.s., 230,000 people died because of that tsunami but you didn't know anyone so it didn't matter, right? That mantra gets old. The coronavirus is at 563,000 and only 136,000 in the US.
I tend to find that kind of attitude disgusting. You know, it didn't happen to someone you know.

People die everyday, nobody lives forever. Why obsess on it? We each have a limited lifespan, and can never now the expiration date. Should we really waste time out of our own lives, everytime people die? We wouldn't much of life, and it's not going to bring anybody back from death. For Covid-19, there is no real good reason to shutdown, and order everyone to hide in their basement, much as possible, wearing mask, and all that crap. It's a simple respiratory infection, a cold virus, which the vast majority of people a capable of surviving, without any assistance. Those dying from it, have a rough time getting through any sort of infection, and there are many. Covid-19 isn't going away, and it's going to spread throughout the entire population, eventually. The only way to slow, or basically stop the mass spreading, is immunity. A lot of people need to get sick, or vaccinated. Getting sick, is pretty much guaranteed, simple and easy for the vast majority. Vaccine is still going to take 2-3 years, if safe and effective. All we are doing, it's dragging this thing out longer, taking years off peoples lives, during the most active productive part.. Lot of people are going to die, either from the virus, or from other related issue to a destroyed economy, confinement, or anything else. Just let nature take it's course. death comes soon enough for everyone, why waste a moment?
11-07-2020 22:44
(14414)
James___ wrote: And IBDM, it's not my job to educate you guys when you have no interest in learning.

I am elated that the job went to someone else.

James___ wrote: You guys just want people jumping through hoops for you.

I'd prefer they tell jokes, maybe perform a card trick or two. Hoop-jumping gets boring.

James___ wrote: And since you don't understand how England could sink while Scotland is rising, appearing that's where tectonic plate rebound is having 2 different effects.

You think England is starting to weigh down the tectonic plate? You think Scotland rising is more of a testament to the Scots' recent success with dieting and not so much with geological activity?

I'll think about it.

James___ wrote: p.s., 230,000 people died because of that tsunami but you didn't know anyone so it didn't matter, right?

106 were killed in the Maldives.

James___ wrote: The coronavirus is at 563,000 and only 136,000 in the US.

The coronaflu death toll peaked at zero.

Join the debate So I did a little experiment.......:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
My Experiment - A Refresher4218-10-2023 22:43
Quantum Light Experiment Proves Photosynthesis Starts with a Single Photon1522-06-2023 23:00
As I said, Quantum Experiment Shows How Einstein Was Wrong416-05-2023 21:31
Cool Experiment Idea1617-01-2021 23:25
Experiment4429-07-2020 01:19
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact