▼ Content

Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Agroecosystems

Page 16 of 21<<<1415161718>>>
RE: recap31-05-2023 21:19
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
Sooner or later, someone who is actually interested in the thread topic will join in.

This paper includes my soil research in a tropical rain forest.

(yours truly et al). 1999. Effect of plant polyphenols on nutrient cycling and implications for community structure. p. 369-380. In Inderjit (ed) Principles and Practices in Chemical Ecology. Allelochemical Interactions. CRC Press.

This one is highly relevant to carbon sequestration.

Monospecific thickets of tannin-rich ferns move into disturbed rain forest sites
after pioneer species have already moved in.

They snuff out the competition ("Allelochemical Interactions") and then impede forest succession for decades.

They sequester tons of carbon into a surface organic layer more than a meter thick. Under warm, wet, well drained conditions that ought to favor rapid decomposition.

There are many different kinds of soil that can be found under tropical rain forests. Most are not so fertile. Some are extremely infertile. Some are highly fertile. It basically depends on soil age and parent material, since tropical rain forests all occur under basically the same climate regime.

Understanding of the biogeochemical mechanisms that enable plant communities to survive and thrive on the most infertile soils has enabled agronomists and foresters to improve fertility and productivity across a broad range of soil types.

Going to dig up some references to how this has already benefitted farmers and foresters, even though most of the papers make no reference to climate change.

Plus, it's kind of fun because the easiest way to find them is to look up who has cited my research and how they have applied it.
31-05-2023 22:27
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
Im a BM wrote:
...deleted spam...
Spamming.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
01-06-2023 01:13
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Of course, I anticipated your angle of attack, i.e. that your failure to define your terms was somehow my fault, so I tried (unsuccessfully) to redirect:

Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:This one is highly relevant to carbon sequestration.
Would you mind providing your definitions (for discussion) for the following terms?:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
tannin-rich ferns (as opposed to tannin-deficient)
pioneer species
Allelochemical Interactions
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.
biogeochemical mechanisms

Thank you.

Im a BM wrote:Someone who doesn't even know the definition of "organic carbon" isn't going to be able to make much sense of this thread topic.

There are no commonly understood "the definitions" when you are on tap to provide "your definitions".

I have already explained this to you. The terms you use might differ from the terms used by others. In the eyes of others who use different terminology, or perhaps understand the concepts through terms in another language, you are the one who doesn't know "the" definitions. When you are asked to provide "your" definitions, you are shutting down the discussion by refusing.

I get it that you were out saving the world from hexavalent chromium and the great disappearing alkalinity through mangroves and gamma-specs, and in so doing you learned a particular vocabulary. I can only speak for myself but I learned a different vocabulary. Rather than berate you for not knowing/using my "the definitions" I am politely requesting that you define "your definitions."

Im a BM wrote:One thing that real scientists in the real world do is learn the definitions of terms as part of their basic training.

Real scientists learn all the "their definitions" wherever they go if they want to keep their jobs. When the guy who signs the paychecks asks for definitions and explanations, you can bet that the definitions and explanations flow immediately, clearly and comprehensively ... and all follow-on questions are answered. Real scientists keep their jobs. Real scientists are used to answering questions, providing definitions, clarifying contexts and developing visualizations .

Needless to say, career academics who only role-play as scientists for captive audiences of students are not real scientists. Academics need to present the appearance of "knowing what they are talking about", whether or not that is actually true. Unfortunately, academics don't answer to anyone and thus become lazy and complacent. They don't venture outside their little academic bubbles into the real world where everything is results-oriented and where they need to support the people who created their jobs in the first place. The real world doesn't offer tenure. The real world demands added value. If you won't even add value by defining your terms, don't be surprised if the real world dismisses you outright and kicks you to the curb.

Im a BM wrote: Too much remedial education would be required, and I am not willing to "dumb down" my posts to compensate.

* No education is required to accompany your definitions.
* Your subject matter would actually be simple and straightforward if it weren't shrouded in confusion by a lack of definitions. I hope you don't consider clarifying your point and making it understandable to be "dumbing it down."

So, would you mind providing your definitions (for discussion) for the following terms?:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
pioneer species
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.

Thank you.

Im a BM wrote: "Fossil fuel", for example. Most people with some minimal education and literacy understand that "fossil fuel" refers to petroleum, coal, and natural gas found in underground deposits.

But wait! Aren't you claiming to have some modicum of chemistry background? Who could possibly take you seriously if your understanding of chemistry is no better than that of common layman's misunderstanding? How could you be taken seriously if you are referring to petroleum and natural gas as "fossils"? How can you claim to be operating off "the definitions" when you don't know that the correct term is "hydrocarbons" and instead believe that the correct term is "fossils"? How can you be taken seriously as a chemist when you casually conflate carbon with hydrocarbons to the point that you put them in the same category?

I'll answer that for you: You can't possibly be taken seriously. Hydrocarbons and carbon are not the same thing. How do you not know this? How do pretend to put them in the same category under the justification that that is exactly what mistaken laymen do? ... unless, of course, you are a mistaken layman yourself and you are just doing what mistaken laymen do.

Seriously, how do you account for confusing hydrocarbons with fossils, believing that fossils are somehow burned as fuel, or that carbon and hydrocarbons are somehow the same thing? You are the one who is pouting about definitions, but as you refuse to define your terms, it becomes more and more self-evident that you don't define your terms because you don't understand the terms you use and you are desperate for an excuse to blame any/all confusion on someone else.

The good news is that this can be fixed in one post. Just define your terms and we can move forward.

Im a BM wrote: But don't expect [any mistaken laymen] to stop calling petroleum, coal, and natural gas "fossil fuel"

I totally get it. What are you going to call hydrocarbons? What are you going to call carbon?

Im a BM wrote: And don't expect anyone to try to burn petrified wood just because it technically qualifies as "fossil fuel"

Petrified wood cannot be burned as fuel and thus does not qualify as "fuel" and thus does not qualify as "fossil fuel."

Im a BM wrote: Don't try to redefine lignin as a carbohydrate because it depends only on "Who owns the English language" around a non-chemistry term such as "fiber".

Now you are contradicting yourself. Many laymen classify lignin as fiber which they casually include as a "carbohydrate" ... just as casually as they might use the term "fossil fuel." Are you saying that laymen are not correct for mistakenly using the wrong terms or are you saying that they are totally correct for doing so?

Im a BM wrote: Don't try to get on this ride if your scientific education isn't tall enough.

The litmus test is whether you know that hydrocarbons are not carbon and know enough not to place them in the same category. One also has to know what a fossil is. One also has to know what fuel is.

I passed the test, by the way, and I can get on the rides.

Im a BM wrote: Maybe you should first learn how to use a dictionary.

Perhaps you should learn that dictionaries are not chemistry textbooks, although now I'm beginning to understand why you don't seem to know what basic chemists should have learned in their first year of studies.

Dictionaries provide usages for words, correct or otherwise. Dictionaries don't provide definitions. No dictionary owns the English language and thus no dictionary gets to define any words.

Im a BM wrote: I can't imagine why someone who doesn't already have a pretty good idea what "carbon sequestration" is would even want to look at this thread.

This is a good example of how you are not using the commonly accepted definition. "Carbon sequestration" refers to pulling carbon dioxide out of something, not infusing carbon into something. This is a prime example of where you should have opened with your definition of "carbon sequestration" and avoided exactly this sort of confusion.

One has to wonder if you even know what "carbons sequestration" means.

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
RE: recap01-06-2023 11:56
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
sealover wrote:
Nutrient cycling dynamics of natural ecosystems can be mimicked in cropping systems to maximize carbon sequestration into soil organic matter, and minimize emissions of nitrous oxide. Tannin (aka polyphenol) chemical ecology provides insights into biogeochemical mechanisms that regulate carbon and nitrogen cycling.

The convergent evolution of tannin-rich plant communities has occurred on highly-infertile soils throughout the world. To acquire and conserve nitrogen, these plants allocate much of their organic carbon below ground to support symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi associated with their roots. Tannins in plant litter form recalcitrant complexes with protein, immobilizing this organic form of nitrogen and preventing mineralization. Mycorrhizal fungi produce enzymes that mobilize nitrogen from protein-tannin complexes, which is transferred directly to the root in organic nitrogen form. This short circuiting of the mineralization step in the nitrogen cycle prevents emission of nitrous oxide to the atmosphere, and prevents export of nitrate to groundwater or surface water. Allocation of photosynthate below ground to support mycorrhizal fungi also enhances sequestration of carbon into soil organic matter.

Tannins inhibit the oxidation of ammonium in soil to nitrate by nitrifying bacteria. This minimizes nitrous oxide emission as a by product of microbial nitrate reduction. Nitrogen release from tannin-rich litter is predominantly in the form of dissolved organic nitrogen rather than ammonium or nitrate. Dissolved organic nitrogen adsorbs to soil organic matter, minimizing leaching loss of nitrogen and retaining it in slow release form.

Tannins inhibit the decomposition of organic matter to substantially increase its mean residence in or above the soil. In the most extreme cases, equatorial rainforests form massive litter layers over acid white sand soils that are virtually devoid of nutrients or roots. One- or two-meters thick layers of litter in various stages of decomposition can accumulate above the mineral soil surface. This is despite warm, wet, well drained conditions that favor rapid decomposition. Exceptionally high tannin content in the vegetation of these forests enables them to create an enduring layer of organic matter above the soil surface, where virtually all the root growth and nutrient cycling occurs with high efficiency, and negligible losses.

Tannins themselves are the dominant substrate that transforms into soil humic acids. Humic acids enhance soil fertility in many ways, and their mean residence time in soil can be many centuries long. Tannins can comprise more than half the dry weight in foliage of tannin-rich species, and much of this represents sequestered carbon that will remain for a long time as stable soil organic matter.

We may not want to create thick litter layers above the topsoil in all our croplands. But polyphenol biogeochemistry can still be applied to increase carbon sequestration and decrease nitrous oxide emission. For example, tannin-rich organic matter can be combined with more rapidly decomposable crop residues or manure to slow decomposition and immobilize nitrogen into slowly mineralized organic form, as compost. Crop-mycorrhizal associations could be facilitated to sequester carbon and access recalcitrant soil nitrogen.
01-06-2023 23:28
(21599)
Swan wrote:
img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vw9599of7hM/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]
Mantra 40a.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
01-06-2023 23:29
(21599)
Im a BM wrote:
...deleted spam...
Spamming.

The Parrot Killer

02-06-2023 03:35
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Mantra 40a.

Stop spamming kiddy

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

02-06-2023 21:25
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
IBdaMann wrote:
Real scientists learn all the "their definitions" wherever they go if they want to keep their jobs. When the guy who signs the paychecks asks for definitions and explanations, you can bet that the definitions and explanations flow immediately, clearly and comprehensively ... and all follow-on questions are answered. Real scientists keep their jobs. Real scientists are used to answering questions, providing definitions, clarifying contexts and developing visualizations .

Needless to say, career academics who only role-play as scientists for captive audiences of students are not real scientists. Academics need to present the appearance of "knowing what they are talking about", whether or not that is actually true. Unfortunately, academics don't answer to anyone and thus become lazy and complacent. They don't venture outside their little academic bubbles into the real world where everything is results-oriented and where they need to support the people who created their jobs in the first place. The real world doesn't offer tenure. The real world demands added value. If you won't even add value by defining your terms, don't be surprised if the real world dismisses you outright and kicks you to the curb.

I would just like to say this little rant if yours is just oozing with wisdom, applicable to all facets of free market employment reality. This rant should be required reading material for high school students and I'd also vote for mandatory inclusion into every graduation ceremony as part of any education curriculum.

Well said.
Edited on 02-06-2023 21:27
03-06-2023 00:36
(21599)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Mantra 40a.

Stop...
Mantra 40a.

The Parrot Killer

03-06-2023 00:37
(21599)
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I would just like to say this little rant if yours is just oozing with wisdom, applicable to all facets of free market employment reality. This rant should be required reading material for high school students and I'd also vote for mandatory inclusion into every graduation ceremony as part of any education curriculum.

Well said.
I quite agree. Well said.

The Parrot Killer

03-06-2023 21:17
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Mantra 40a.

Stop...
Mantra 40a.

Good girl

ULTRA MAGA

RE: with apologies to the new viewer05-06-2023 12:18
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:This one is highly relevant to carbon sequestration.

Would you mind providing your definitions (for discussion) for the following terms?:

carbon sequestration
Monospecific thickets
pioneer species
forest succession
surface organic layer
climate regime.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amusement parks, fairs, and carnivals have hired personnel to ensure that kids who are too small don't get on the scary rides.

There is often a sign that says, "You must be THIS tall to ride", with a mark showing the minimum height requirement.

There is nobody at this website to protect the smallest ones from going on the big scary rides.

Someone who doesn't even know the definition of "organic carbon" isn't going to be able to make much sense of this thread topic. They will have little or no knowledge of value to contribute. They won't even know how to ask an intelligent question in many cases.

One thing that real scientists in the real world do is learn the definitions of terms as part of their basic training. They learn how to find the definitions without having to ask somebody. They don't get far if they cannot do this.

Too much remedial education would be required, and I am not willing to "dumb down" my posts to compensate.

If it is all just "gibber babble" and "buzzwords" anyway, none of the words actually mean anything. Or they mean whatever anyone wants them to mean.

"Fossil fuel", for example. Most people with some minimal education and literacy understand that "fossil fuel" refers to petroleum, coal, and natural gas found in underground deposits. End of discussion.

Word games are certainly possible.

Perhaps one of the only substances that truly qualifies for the word game definition of "fossil fuel" is petrified wood.

It began as fuel (wood) that got buried by volcanic ash or mud.

It was fossilized when the original organic carbon all got replaced by silica.

But don't expect anyone to stop calling petroleum, coal, and natural gas "fossil fuel"

And don't expect anyone to try to burn petrified wood just because it technically qualifies as "fossil fuel", according to some stupid word game.

Don't try to redefine lignin as a carbohydrate because it depends only on "Who owns the English language" around a non-chemistry term such as "fiber".

Don't try to get on this ride if your scientific education isn't tall enough.

Maybe you should first learn how to use a dictionary. Or "go and learn some science" from a textbook. Maybe even take an actual classroom course in science.

I can't imagine why someone who doesn't already have a pretty good idea what "carbon sequestration" is would even want to look at this thread.

Let alone, preach in an endless series of numbingly repetitive posts, with plenty of insults and false accusations thrown in for fun.

This stuff is not for the intellectually challenged.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

With apologies to the new viewer.

Inquiries regarding the definition of terms are welcome from almost everyone.

However, the very first post of this thread refers to "organic carbon".

No matter how many times it was defined, it always came back to a stupid word game. The very existence of organic carbon is still denied, more than a year later.

"Define your terms" was a demand to derail every discussion into an endless, pointless, numbingly repetitive and incredibly stupid word game, completely devoid of science.

Sooner or later, someone with genuine interest in the thread topic will see it.

Genuine inquiries into terminology will get a response that hopefully clears it up the very first time.
06-06-2023 20:24
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
Im a BM wrote:With apologies to the new viewer. Inquiries regarding the definition of terms are welcome from almost everyone.

... except for those asking for definitions of terms. You have not provided any of the numerous definitions that were politely requested. You still refuse to this day. You also continue to blame others for your refusal to define your terms.

Yes, you blame others.

Im a BM wrote:"Define your terms" was a demand to derail every discussion into an endless, pointless, numbingly repetitive and incredibly stupid word game, completely devoid of science.

Incorrect. You intended to avoid any and all discussion through the use of empty buzzwords. When you were asked to define your terms, you made every lame excuse possible, usually blaming your inability to define your terms on those who politely requested the definitions.

09-03-2022 18:58 - IBdaMann requested of sealover:Define: "Climate", "Climate Change", "Climate Change mitigation" and criteria for evaluating Climate Change mitigation.

You have refused to this day to provide any definitions. You feign indignance at merely being asked to define your terms. Of course you know how this appears to any rational adult.

Im a BM wrote:Sooner or later, someone with genuine interest in the thread topic will see it.

It's funny you mention this. What do you plan to do when someone responds? Answer questions?

09-03-2022 20:13 - IBdaMann requested of sealover:Now, the ball is in your court. Why should any rational adult believe your notion that there are any changes occurring to the ocean that are of any concern whatsoever?

You never answered this question. You never explained why a rational adult should believe the ocean is rising, or believe that the ocean is somehow losing alkalinity. In fact, you make it a point to ignore all such questions and engage in radio silence until you believe sufficient time has passed that you can launch a tirade demonizing those who asked the questions you could not answer and who revealed that you don't know what you are talking about. Imagine, someone claiming to be a chemist who won't define his terms and who believes his WACKY religion is thettled thienth. Now imagine said individual inexplicably blaming others for having asked questions, and characterizing questions as "derailing the discussion." Does this sound familiar?

Im a BM wrote:Genuine inquiries into terminology will get a response that hopefully clears it up the very first time.

Prove it. Answer the geniune questions asked of you. Provide the requested definitions of your terms. Stop demonizing others for asking questions and for requesting definitions.
07-06-2023 03:59
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Nutrient cycling dynamics of natural ecosystems can be mimicked in cropping systems to maximize carbon sequestration into soil organic matter, and minimize emissions of nitrous oxide. Tannin (aka polyphenol) chemical ecology provides insights into biogeochemical mechanisms that regulate carbon and nitrogen cycling.

The convergent evolution of tannin-rich plant communities has occurred on highly-infertile soils throughout the world. To acquire and conserve nitrogen, these plants allocate much of their organic carbon below ground to support symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi associated with their roots. Tannins in plant litter form recalcitrant complexes with protein, immobilizing this organic form of nitrogen and preventing mineralization. Mycorrhizal fungi produce enzymes that mobilize nitrogen from protein-tannin complexes, which is transferred directly to the root in organic nitrogen form. This short circuiting of the mineralization step in the nitrogen cycle prevents emission of nitrous oxide to the atmosphere, and prevents export of nitrate to groundwater or surface water. Allocation of photosynthate below ground to support mycorrhizal fungi also enhances sequestration of carbon into soil organic matter.

Tannins inhibit the oxidation of ammonium in soil to nitrate by nitrifying bacteria. This minimizes nitrous oxide emission as a by product of microbial nitrate reduction. Nitrogen release from tannin-rich litter is predominantly in the form of dissolved organic nitrogen rather than ammonium or nitrate. Dissolved organic nitrogen adsorbs to soil organic matter, minimizing leaching loss of nitrogen and retaining it in slow release form.

Tannins inhibit the decomposition of organic matter to substantially increase its mean residence in or above the soil. In the most extreme cases, equatorial rainforests form massive litter layers over acid white sand soils that are virtually devoid of nutrients or roots. One- or two-meters thick layers of litter in various stages of decomposition can accumulate above the mineral soil surface. This is despite warm, wet, well drained conditions that favor rapid decomposition. Exceptionally high tannin content in the vegetation of these forests enables them to create an enduring layer of organic matter above the soil surface, where virtually all the root growth and nutrient cycling occurs with high efficiency, and negligible losses.

Tannins themselves are the dominant substrate that transforms into soil humic acids. Humic acids enhance soil fertility in many ways, and their mean residence time in soil can be many centuries long. Tannins can comprise more than half the dry weight in foliage of tannin-rich species, and much of this represents sequestered carbon that will remain for a long time as stable soil organic matter.

We may not want to create thick litter layers above the topsoil in all our croplands. But polyphenol biogeochemistry can still be applied to increase carbon sequestration and decrease nitrous oxide emission. For example, tannin-rich organic matter can be combined with more rapidly decomposable crop residues or manure to slow decomposition and immobilize nitrogen into slowly mineralized organic form, as compost. Crop-mycorrhizal associations could be facilitated to sequester carbon and access recalcitrant soil nitrogen.
07-06-2023 04:00
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
sealover wrote:
[quote]Into the Night wrote:

Nope. The entire plant is carbohydrates and some proteins.

[quote][b]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cellulose is a carbohydrate. So that alone accounts for at least half the organic carbon in the entire plant. And some proteins, yes.

But lignin is not a carbohydrate. Woody plants often have about a fourth of the organic carbon in the entire plant comprised of lignin.

Tannin is not a carbohydrate. Some plants are extremely rich in tannin.

Terpenes and terpenoids are not carbohydrate. Some plants are terpene-rich.

The list goes on...

Is it possible to construe the definition of "carbohydrates" to include lignin, tannin, and terpenes?

Is it possible to construe the definition of "some proteins" to include lignin, tannin, and terpenes?

Or maybe we just need to modify the definition of " The entire plant"
07-06-2023 04:01
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
Let's try again.

Maybe YOU need to provide a definition of your terms.

Maybe you are aware of carbohydrate chemistry in a way that defies classic models.

Us simpletons only know what they taught us in O chem at college.

"The entire plant is carbohydrates and some proteins."

Us simpletons thought there were many other kinds of organic compounds in plants, let alone the water content.

Is there more than one valid definition for "carbohydrates"?

Does that mean that vegetable oil is a carbohydrate? Or it's just not part of the entire plant?

I don't mean to be petty, but you would have flunked classic O chem or botany.

And it's fine if you didn't know. But to stubbornly insist, after having the error exposed, that lignin is actually a carbohydrate. Tannins, terpenes, oil, wax... they don't even need to be acknowledged.

I'm trying to assess if you're teachable.

You certainly provide teachable moments with your posts, so keep it up.[/quote]
07-06-2023 04:02
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Carbon Sequestration and Allelopathy in Rainforest Fern Thickets.

Wetlands are very effective at sequestering carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and storing it as organic carbon, preserved against decomposition by low oxygen conditions.

Rainforest fern thickets are very effective at sequestering carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and storing it as organic carbon, preserved against decomposition under aerobic conditions by high vegetation tannin content.

Fern thickets are specialists at taking over disturbed sites in rainforest.

Where the canopy has been cleared and sunlight can reach the ground, a first wave of pioneer species moves in. Fast growing trees and brush exploit the available sunlight, and enhanced soil nutrient availability typically associated with site disturbance.

The pioneer species get off to a good start, but then the ferns start creeping in.

Their trick isn't to grow tall faster than anyone to get the sun.

In fact, the ferns are relatively slow growers as they creep up like vines to cover the pioneer trees.

The lower lying brush hasn't got a chance. The ferns just climb over and pile on top of it.

The pioneer trees haven't got a chance. The ones that were tall enough to avoid being overtopped are now being poisoned by manganese toxicity.

Within a decade, 2 meters thick accumulation of fern litter overlies the mineral soil surface. 2 meters tall ferns form a dense thicket on top of the litter.

Pioneer trees are now dead trunks or sickly things with purple leaves displaying manganese toxicity.

The conditions are wet, warm, and well aerated. Perfect for aerobic decompositon.

Yet, in less than a decade a huge amount of organic carbon has piled up on top of the mineral soil, decomposing ever so slowly.

A huge amount of carbon dioxide got sequestered from the atmosphere and is now stored in a thick litter layer above the soil.

The fern has total phenolic content, from tannins, that are among the very highest among all plant species in the world.

This makes it hard for microorganisms to degrade the fern litter.

Tannins form complexes with proteins, making protein hard to degrade, and making other enzymes (proteins) needed for decomposition useless.

Tannins also reduce manganese(IV) to manganese(II).

The insoluble manganese(IV) in the solid phase soil was harmless to the plants.

The soluble manganese(II) was released by abiotic reduction of manganese(IV) by fern tannins.

Manganese(II) was released at such high concentration that it killed the plants that had roots in the mineral soil.

The fern was immune to its own venom.

Its entire root system is spread laterally among the litter above the mineral soil.

The ferns never had to taste their own medicine.

They are vicious competitors.

Monospecific fern thickets can impede forest succession for decades.

But they sure can sequester that carbon!

And they are excellent ground cover to prevent erosion from disturbed sites.

And that thick fern litter layer is like a giant sponge during downpours.

Plenty of time for the rain to slowly trickle into the soil and groundwater without any surface runoff.

Tree huggers don't like the fern thickets because they are lacking in biodiversity.

Just one or two species of fern completely dominate the community.

After displacing a far more diverse pioneer community.

But the forest will eventually grow back in and shade the ferns out.

Meanwhile, the fern thickets protected the soil and water supply, and built up a whole lot of soil organic matter for the next community.
07-06-2023 04:04
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Synchronized Canopy Dieback in Manganese-rich Island Arc Rainforests.

Fern thickets can induce manganese toxicity in island arc rainforests.

Island arcs occur where hot spots under the sea floor melt up a volcanic eruption.

The sea floor moves along with plate tectonics. The hot spot doe not.

The biggest tallest island in the arc is always the newest (Hawaii).

Eventually, the oldest islands in the arc get washed away by the waves, leaving their submarine stubs (Emperor Sea Mounts).

Sea floor is rich in manganese. Island arc soils are rich in manganese.

You can see the black stains of the manganese everywhere if you look at these soils, or even just walk along the forest path.

When fern thickest cause reductive dissolution of manganese to toxic levels that kill competitor pioneer trees, it was a localized event.

There was a "winner" from the induced toxicity, a successful use of allelopathy in chemical warfare.

But something happens in the manganese rich soils of Hawaiis rainforest to kill a lot of plants with manganese without any "winners".

Synchronized canopy dieback.

Doesn't happen often and requires a bad luck sequence of weather events.

At one point in the sequence manganese rich soil that normally stays wet get dry.

A whole lot of manganese(II) oxidizes to manganese(II), as bacteria use oxygen to get energy as manganese oxidizers.

Then the bad luck of unusually wet weather.

Waterlogged conditions prevail for a while and tons of manganese(IV) get reduced to manganese(II) by manganese reducing bacteria, who use manganese(IV) as oxidant for organic carbon.

This isn't just a creepy fern killing some local residents for its own benefit.

These can be entire hillslopes where more trees are dead than alive.

The survivors have less competition now, but they're looking kind of sick.

This was not allelopathic act of chemical warfare by a competitor.

In synchronized canopy dieback, nobody wins.
07-06-2023 04:05
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Fall of the Dinosaurs and Rise of the Angiosperms. Hydrolysable Tannins.

Tony Swain, a chemical ecologist, was brilliant.

But his most famous hypothesis was a flop.

It was before we knew about the asteroid that took out the dinosaurs.

Tony Swain observed that the mass extinction of the dinosaurs coincided with the rise of the angiosperm family of plants as the dominant vegetation on earth.

Angiosperms did something no plants did before.

They made a new kind of tannin.

Most of the old school plants made condensed tannins.

Angiosperms were good enough at making plenty of condensed tannins.

But angiosperms also made HYDROLYSABLE tannins.

A far more soluble form of tannin than condensed tannin.

Whereas condensed tannins stayed stuck in place within plant litter, hydrolysable tannins traveled into the soil a bit before becoming attached to organic matter on a soil surface.

Tony Swain figured it out.

Hydrolysable tannins were poisonous to dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs had never evolved to tolerate such poisons.

A bunch of angiosperm plants took over rapidly.

Everybody, including the predators, went extinct when the plants turned toxic.

No, Tony, that's not how it happened.

But plants DID evolve a new way to regulate carbon and nitrogen cycling, tie up preexisting soil nitrogen and not just that in the plants own litter, and get more phosphorus from the soil.
07-06-2023 04:06
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Oxidative Coupling of Phenol Carboxylic Acids. Humus and Humic Acid Formation.

Soil humus and soil humic acids are very important in soil fertility and ecology.

Soil humic acids are VERY large, insoluble molecules which are polymers of phenol carboxylic acids, such as those that comprise tannins.

It was known theoretically how it must happen, but collecting a field sample and measuring it in the lab to prove it was hard.

It required going out into the forest during a rainstorm with a slurry of grain alcohol and dry ice to quickly freeze any water sample collected.

Forest floor leachate sample collectors buried beneath the forest floor could be flushed out and allowed to refill with an absolutely fresh sample of rainfall that had passed through the needle litter of the forest floor.

Some samples were immediately frozen in the field.

Other samples were extracted with ethyl acetate, and they were frozen in the field as well.

Thawing the fresh-frozen-in-the-field samples upon return to the lab revealed what nobody had ever seen before.

The forest floor leachate showed high concentrations of identifiable monomeric phenol carboxylic acids - salicylic acid, protocatechuic acid, cinnamic acid, etc.

Usually all you got were a bunch of amorphous, larger fulvic acids and humic acids.

Usually the monomeric phenol carboxylic acids had already linked up into polymers through oxidative coupling.

Fulvic acids and humic acids form anions with metal complexing capacity, among the many other things they do of benefit to soil productivity.

It was fun to be the first to catch them in the act of forming in field-fresh samples.
07-06-2023 04:06
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
sealover wrote:
"so this is a slowing of organic rotting?" YES! Excellent choice of words.

Yes, it is indeed "a slowing of organic rotting."

Apologies to tmiddles that I failed to answer the question until now.

ONE part of it is a slowing of organic rot action.

ANOTHER part is the Nitrogen Cycle, preventing mineralization of organic nitrogen, and preventing nitrification of ammonium.

TWO important ways to bring about "a slowing of organic rotting".

ONE is the waterlogged condition of a wetland. Lack of oxygen slows organic rotting. Straightforward enough, right?

TWO is the high polyphenol content of vegetation on well drained soils.

Microorganisms have a hard time degrading it. The mean residence time of polyphenol rich organic matter in soil can be centuries.

"organic rotting" is an EXCELLENT choice of words.

It includes the microbiological aspect of "rotting", and the proper identification of the carbon transformation involved.

"organic rotting" takes "organic carbon" and turns it into "inorganic carbon".

Organic carbon is carbohydrates, hydrocarbons, and all the other stuff of organic chemistry - long, long, long list of unique organic carbon compounds.

Inorganic carbon is oxidized, has oxygen attached: carbon dioxide, bicarbonate, carbonate. VERY short list of inorganic carbon players. One weak acid. Two oxyanions that supply alkalinity.

And YES, with polyphenols, it's ALL ABOUT "a slowing of organic rotting."

Thank you for a legitimate and useful question. Thank you for being decent.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote]tmiddles wrote:
[quote]sealover wrote:...increase carbon sequestration and decrease nitrous oxide emission. ...

So is this a slowing of organic rotting?
07-06-2023 04:07
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Another falsifiable hypothesis I published.

As I run away from every question, I offer another published falsifiable hypothesis for you to shred up with your superior scientific knowledge and with your superior debating skills.

1999. Effect of plant polyphenols on nutrient cycling and implications for community structure. pages 369-380. IN Inderjit (ed.) Principles and Practices in Chemical Ecology. Allelochemical Interactions. CRC Press.

Or you could go with EITHER paper from Nature, 1995 or 1998.

It should be easy for a scientific genius such as yourself to expose my scientific fraud using published words of my own that I simply cannot run away from.
07-06-2023 04:09
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Google Scholar - New Cog in the Nitrogen Cycle

With each new issue of the journal Nature, up to a dozen of the new papers are highlighted in the "News and Views" section.

Terry Chapin wrote the review titled "New cog in the nitrogen cycle."

It was intended to highlight why the "Polyphenol control of nitrogen release from pine litter" paper was considered to be such an important discovery.

FS Chapin, III. 1995. New cog in the nitrogen cycle. Nature. 377:199-200.

Google Scholar can find it with just "New cog in the nitrogen cycle".

It would take less time to type in "Nature 377:199-200."

This gives some idea why other scientists were duped into taking the idiot "sealover" seriously.
07-06-2023 04:09
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Phenotypic Plasticity and Soil Carbon Loss in "Green Revolution" Crop Breeds.

The "Green Revolution" allowed for incredible gains in crop yield through selective breeding of high responders to chemical fertilizer.

Selective breeding for phenotypic plasticity in response to high bioavailability of soil nutrients.

Given chemical fertilizer, the crop could thrive while providing little or no photosynthate to symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi associated with its roots.

Given chemical nitrogen fertilizer, the crop could thrive while providing little or no photosynthate to symbiotic nitrogen fixing bacteria associated with its roots.

The plant could pump most of its photosynthate into the part we wanted to harvest.

It was great for yields. HUGE INCREASES.

It wasn't so great for soil carbon. HUGE LOSSES.

The new breeds of crops put very little organic carbon into the soil, compared to their ancestors.

Soil organic matter would decompose more rapidly than it would be replaced.

With "Green Revolution" crop breeds, agricultural soils became a NET SOURCE of CARBON DIOXIDE TO THE ATMOSPHERE as they experienced a NET LOSS OF SOIL ORGANIC MATTER.

It's not too late to turn the trend around.
07-06-2023 04:10
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Nitrous Oxide Emission, Nitrate Export to Waters. "Green Revolution" By Products.

The "Green Revolution" brought about spectacular increases in crop yields.

As long as we spoon fed the crops concentrated chemical fertilizer, they could produce like crazy without having to put much carbon into the soil.

As long as we made sure there was more than enough nitrogen fertilizer in an bioavailable form for minimal effort root uptake, HUGE YIELDS.

One unanticipated adverse impact was loss of soil organic matter.

It wasn't just bad for the atmosphere, as a major source of CO2.

It was bad for the SOIL. It was bad for the sustainable productivity of the land.

Soil organic matter does a whole lot more than just store carbon.

Soil fertility depends on it.

But what about the nitrogen.

Humans were supplying LOTS of mineral nitrogen.

More than the crop could possibly use.

On average, less than 30% of applied agricultural nitrogen actually getting into the crop roots.

Where does the rest go?

If it started as UREA, first a soil microorganism hit it with urease enzyme.

The urea releases two ammonium ions and drives up the pH to as high as 10.

Eventually, nitrifying bacteria oxidize most of the ammonium to nitrite, and then immediately oxidize nitrite to nitrate.

Nitrification in terrestrial soils is one of the major sources of NITROUS OXIDE.

Now the applied nitrogen fertilizer is in the form of nitrate.

Nitrate is a mobile anion with very little affinity to adsorb to soil surfaces.

It is easily leached into groundwater or rinsed off as surface runoff.

Enough nitrate in groundwater makes a well unusable for drinking water.

Enough nitrate in surface water runoff can overfertilize aquatic ecosystems, leading to eutrophication, hypoxia, fish kills, and "dead zones" in the ocean.

Nitrate is easily lost to nitrate reduction when microorganisms use nitrate under low oxygen conditions to oxidize organic carbon.

Whether by denitrification, where nearly all the nitrate is reduced to nitrogen gas, or by dissimilatory nitrate reduction to ammonium, nitrate reduction generates nitrous oxide as a by product.

Nitrate reduction by microorganisms under low oxygen condition is the LARGEST SOURCE OF NITROUS OXIDE EMISSIONS.

Agricultural nitrogen is the LARGEST SOURCE OF NITRATES BEING REDUCED.

The "Green Revolution" brought about a HUGE increase in ANTHROPOGENIC NITROUS OXIDE EMISSIONS.

Nitrous oxide has about 200 times as much global warming potential as CO2.
07-06-2023 04:12
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Soil Acidification Due to Nitrification of Ammonia Fertilizer.

When urea, (H2N)2C=O, is hydrolyzed by urease enzyme, ammonium (NH4+) is released and microsite soil pH can be extremely high (>10).

Conversely, when ammonium (NH4+) is oxidized by microorganisms during nitrification, NITRIC ACID IS GENERATED.

Formation of nitric acid from urea or ammonium fertilizers is a widespread cause of acidification in agricultural soils.

Acidification from nitrification of applied urea or ammonium fertilizer is the biggest reason lime (calcium carbonate, CaCO3) is applied to agricultural soils, with the exception of acid sulfate soils formed from drained wetlands.

Acidification from nitrification of urea or ammonium fertilizer is one of the biggest reasons farmers buy synthetic nitrification inhibitors.

Inhibiting nitrification prevents loss of nitrogen fertilizer, prevents soil acidification, and prevents requirement for liming to mitigate acidification.
07-06-2023 04:13
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
The "Extended" Phenotype for Carbon Sequestration in Fern Thickets.

The phenotype is the physical expression of the genotype interacting with the environment.

The "environment" may include extra doses of royal jelly, which causes a very different phenotype where there is phenotypic plasticity.

But the phenotype isn't limited to the physical structure of the organism.

Richard Dawkins proposed the "extended" phenotype to highlight where genotype is expressed beyond the physical structure of the organism.

Nest building by birds, for example.

Natural selection favors the birds that build a better nest, even though the nest isn't part of the birds body structure.

Nest building would also lend itself to phenotypic plasticity.

If our human "nests" are part of our "extended" phenotype, they range from igloos made of ice floating over the north pole to ships capable of long voyages.

The fern thickets "extended" phenotype includes creating a very deep layer of litter above the mineral soil. Building a nest where all its lateral rhizomes extend.

The ferns are not remarkably productive as far as photosynthesis goes. Just a pale lime green that is only competitive in full sunlight, easily shaded out.

But the relatively small amount of carbon they capture through photosynthesis is disproportionately comprised of tannin which inhibits decomposition.

Ferns thickets sequester and store carbon at a higher rate than other ecosystems with higher net primary productivity, because the mean residence time of the litter they produce is so much longer.

We could employ the "extended" phenotype of plants to help us sequester more carbon from the atmosphere and keep it in the soil.
07-06-2023 04:15
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Greenhouse Gases Increase Residence Time of Heat in Atmosphere.

In a couple of months, I hope that rather than a biogeochemist posting this, you will hear from a PhD atmospheric physicist. Or at least an atmospheric physic graduate student.

I should stick to biogeochemistry.

But, here goes with the atmospheric physics.

The ultimate fate of almost ALL the solar energy the reaches the earth is to be radiated back to space as infrared, with lesser losses of visible light energy.

Greenhouse gases trap the heat a little longer.

Rather than radiate straight back to space, some of the infrared get recycled within the atmosphere. Lighting each other up with infrared, absorbing, reemitting, and keeping the heat close to the surface in the process. A little longer residence time for the heat, which results in higher temperature.

Ever wonder why a person stays warmer with TWO blankets on a cold night?

Their body didn't start putting out more heat, but the temperature under the blanket increased when a second blanket was laid down.

Unlike the blankets we use in bed, greenhouse gases allow visible light to pass.

Humans threw an extra blanket on the atmosphere with our anthropogenic emissions of carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ALL the OTHERS we haven't even BEGUN to discuss.

Like the one China is blackmailing the world with.

If we don't keep PAYING CHINA TO CAPTURE IT, they are just going to release it to the atmosphere instead.

CFCs aren't just ozone destroyers.

Some of them are greenhouse gases with global warming potential orders of magnitude greater than CO2 or even nitrous oxide.

Some of them continue to be deliberately manufactured.

Some of the worst ones continue to be accidentally manufactured as by products during synthesis of a desired product.

China won't continue to keep those by products out of their smoke stack emissions unless we continue to pay them a hefty bribe to do it.

Eff China when it comes to harming our biosphere!

Maybe they didn't get to benefit from the damage that the wealthy nations did back in the day, but there is no inherent entitlement for China to do it NOW!
07-06-2023 04:16
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
I do a TERRIBLE JOB explaining the atmospheric physics.

I had to learn some, but not enough to give a good off the cuff reply.

Back when Glenn Beck was big on Fox News, he made a big deal about the seeming contradiction.

If the STRATOSPHERE is getting COLDER, how could the ATMOSPHERE near the surface be getting WARMER?

Fact is, that "denitrification" stuff, where nitric acid acid droplets in the stratosphere freeze and fall to earth, is only happening now because the stratosphere is getting COLDER on average.

But it defies common sense, and it is wrong to oversimplify it.

Yes, the stratosphere IS GETTING COLDER now.

Ironically, it may be what saved the ozone layer from our NON CFC anthropogenic ozone destroying agents.

There had been a spectacular recovery once the CFC emissions got cut.

Then it started thinning again, seasonally, eventually at both poles.

This time it was NON CFC ozone destroyers (bromide, chloride, NOx, SOx, etc).

But then the stratosphere got COLD ENOUGH TO FREEZE NITRIC ACID.

Now there was a seasonal mop up of ozone destroying agents, scrubbed out of the stratosphere as they dissolve into nitric acid, then freeze and fall to earth.

So many delicate balances and counterbalances.

Before the ozone layer formed, less than 500 million years ago, life on land was pretty much impossible.

We almost destroyed it before we even understood what it was, what it does.

But I am TERRIBLE at explaining why part of climate change is that the stratosphere is, indeed, getting COLDER.

I'm counting on someone who can give a better explanation coming around.
07-06-2023 04:18
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
sealover wrote:
Ozone (O3) @ 0.00006%. Oxygen (O2) @ 21% of atmosphere.

Ozone is present as a trace gas present in a remarkably thin layer of the stratosphere.

When ozone is present closer to the earth's surface, it is a MUCH STRONGER OXIDANT than dioxygen gas (O2).

Ozone near ground level left a "bathtub ring" among the pines around the LA Basin.

Visible from space in the 1990s, a "bathtub ring" of dead or discolored vegetation, all at the exact same elevation in the mountains all around the basin. It was ozone damage.

When plants perform photosynthesis, they have to pass relatively large volumes of air through their stomata in order to get enough of the trace gas CO2.

This makes them vulnerable to ANY airborne pollutant.

It also makes plants good at scrubbing airborne pollutants out of the air.

But the ozone was killing them, across a very narrow range of elevation.

The LA basin becomes a stagnant trap for air sometimes.

The layer where the ozone was forming, as UV interacted with smog, stayed at a very narrow range of elevation above sea level.

The ozone burned a bathtub ring in the trees around the LA basin.

A bath tub ring you could see from OUTER SPACE.

So, ozone is very different than the oxygen (O2) that comprises 21% of the atmosphere.

The fact that the total pool of ozone in the stratosphere is so TINY compared to the total pool of oxygen or any other major gas in the atmosphere...

Don't read too much into the difference.

Just because ozone is only 0.00006% of the gas in the total atmosphere, consider where it is located.

The ozone is concentrated in a METERS THICK (i.e. incredibly THIN) layer in the stratosphere.

At that point of contact, UV rays are going to have a tough time getting past all those ozone molecules concentrated in that thin layer.

When it comes to total "pools", sometimes size does not matter.

It's knowing how to pack all your ozone tightly into an extremely thin shield.

WITHIN the ozone layer, I suspect that the concentration of ozone is significantly higher than 0.00006%. Maybe even higher than 21%.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote]IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]Spongy Iris wrote:I bet you guys are right, technically, that O3 breaking down to O2, by UV light, would absorb some UV light.

Begin by acknowledging that you are getting it backwards, either intentionally or not. O2 forms into O3 because of solar UV. Of course there is a bit more to it but O3 forms during the day and then reverts back to O2 at night when the UV is not present.

Spongy Iris wrote:But my argument is, since ozone is only 0.00006% of the atmosphere, how do you expect me to believe such an incredibly trace gas can block the most deadly "UVc" rays?

O2 comprises 21% of the atmosphere. What are you talking about?
07-06-2023 04:20
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
I often forget to mention iodide and fluoride as anthropogenic ozone destroyers.

Historically, attention was prioritized to those anthropogenic ozone destroying molecules that were recycled during the process.

Fully chlorinated fluorocarbons (CFCs) were the worst.

Such as the freon used as refrigerant gas in air conditioners, freezers, etc.

The CFCs could take out THOUSANDS of ozone (O3) molecules before being neutralized.

Other anthropogenic ozone destroying agents can only destroy ONE ozone molecule before being neutralized.

Other anthropogenic ozone destroying aerosols and vapors include SOx, NOx, chloride, and bromide.

This list fails to include IODIDE and FLUORIDE, also present in the stratosphere thanks to human activity.

Now, there is cyclical variation in ozone thinning and regrowth.

It is NOT a DAILY cycle: ozone disappears at night, ozone regrows during day.

There is an ANNUAL cycle.

Even within the context of the ANNUAL cycle, DUCK Boy's explanation is still absurd.

You don't need to invoke Chapman AT ALL to understand "denitrification" and the atmospheric chemistry of one-to-one kill ratio ozone destroying agents such as SOx, NOx, chloride, bromide, iodide, and fluoride.

In fact, outside of discussing the fate of the CFCs, CHAPMAN IS IRRELEVANT!

Fortunately, CFCs aren't the big problem anymore for ozone thinning.
07-06-2023 04:21
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Variable Rate Technology: Farming by the Foot.

It is possible for farmers to use variable rate technology for application of agricultural chemicals.

For example, the "weed zapper" uses machine vision to distinguish the weed from the crop, and selectively applies herbicide by aiming the spray directly at the weed. And nobody else.

Where herbicide must be used in soil to control weeds, often there is much higher herbicide requirement where soil organic matter content is higher.

Soil organic matter adsorbs and neutralizes herbicide.

More herbicide is required for effective weed control in microsites where soil organic matter content is highest.

Near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) can instantaneously assess where soil organic matter content is higher and apply higher rates of herbicide.

Machine vision can tell if the crop isn't green enough, foot by foot, to adjust fertilizer application rates accordingly.

Machine vision can tell if the crop is diplaying excess or deficiency of nutrients.

Machine vision can tell if the crop is displaying symptoms of pests or disease.

A simple drone flyover could now provide a farmer with a detailed map of which parts of the field require more or less of which agricultural chemicals.

Typically, more than 70% of applied nitrogen fertilizer does not get taken up into crop roots.

Variable rate technology can dramatically improve nitrogen use efficiency, and reduce adverse environmental impacts of excess application of nitrogen fertilizer.

Variable rate technology could also allow us to monitor soil carbon storage as we tweak chemical application rates to enhance soil organic matter content.
07-06-2023 04:22
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Hans Jenny was one of the all time greatest geniuses in soil science.

His contributions are many, including the dramatic increases in corn harvests that followed his theoretical development of dry ammonia adsorption to soil.

Perhaps his greatest contribution was to help us understand what soil IS.

Soils are dynamic natural bodies having properties derived from the combined effect of climate and organisms acting on soil parent materials, as modified by topography, over finite periods of time.

An equation: soil = f(climate, organisms, parent material, topography, time)

Indeed, given sufficient information about the factors of soil formation, one can very accurately predict what the soil profile must look like.

Jack Major took Hans Jenny's theory one step further.

ECOSYTEMS have properties that can be predicted by a state factor model.

An equation: Ecosystem (organisms) = f(climate, soil, topography, time)

He just rearranged Jenny's equation.

Ecosystems have predictable properties derived from interactions between soil, climate, and organisms, modified by topography, over finite periods of time.

If you have enough information about climate, soil, topography, and AGE of the community in its succession cycle, you can accurately predict the details of the ecosystem adapted to it.

I had the good fortune of knowing both Hans Jenny and Jack Major.

It's fun to hang out with scientific geniuses!
07-06-2023 04:23
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
sealover wrote:
Anhydrous Ammonia is DRY ammonia, NH3, NOT ammonium, NH4+ .

Yes, there IS such a field of science as SOIL SCIENCE.

And yes, Hans Jenny was a genius, equivalent to Darwin or Einstein as far as paradigm shifting influence within their fields of science.

In the 1930s, Hans Jenny became known as the "friend of the farmer" for the tremendous boost in corn production he assisted with.

Few soil scientists become famous in any way, but this was also part of the New Deal outreach with the Soil Conservation Service. A time when caring about soil was being made a national priority.

Well, Hans Jenny theoretically conceived an entirely new way to fertilize.

Hans knew that there are many cation exchange site, i.e. acid neutralizing sites, that hold protons. Like the protons on an acidic groups of humic acids, for example.

Hans knew that ammonia gas ought to be able to attach to the protons on those cation exchange sites or protonated organic acids. Hans knew that the NH3 ought to combine with the H+ to make and adsorbed NH4+.

The ammonia had to be DRY, anhydrous NH3. Hans even figured out before they ever tried it that it would very effectively capture the ammonia gas if properly applied, with minimal gaseous loss to the atmosphere.

Nobody had ever tried it, but Hans told them it ought to work.

So, they tried it and it worked.

Some folks made millions from his idea, but Hans never saw a dime of it.

Still, the farmers knew it was Hans who thought of it and he was actually a popular figure, kind of like Fauci was at first.

This was decades before the Green Revolution started selectively breeding for high responders to nitrogen fertilizer. This was just a breakthrough in fertilizer technology made possible by a good understanding of soil chemistry.

I got to know Hans Jenny as friend in the final years of his life.

He encouraged me to go to his favorite forest, the pygmy forest, to test my polyphenol hypothesis. He died before I did exactly that.

He was telling us about the dry ammonia story, and he mentioned the downside of nitrogen fertilizer leading to nitrous oxide emissions.

I asked him if he regretted his invention, given that it did cause more nitrous oxide emissions.

He thought for a bit before answering.

He was glad that it brought about increased income for farmers and increased food supply for humanity.

He did have some regrets that it had contributed to loss of soil organic matter and to emission of nitrous oxide.

It was going to be up to MY generation of scientists to deal with those things.

I used to be younger... sigh.

So, it is NOT the SOIL that is dry. It is DRY AMMONIA added to the wet soil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote]Into the Night wrote:
[quote]sealover wrote:
Hans Jenny was one of the all time greatest geniuses in soil science.

No such branch of science. Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:
His contributions are many, including the dramatic increases in corn harvests that followed his theoretical development of dry ammonia adsorption to soil.

Then it's not dry. Soil contains water...even in the driest of deserts.

These are obviously morons calling themselves 'scientists'. They don't even know what 'soil' means.
07-06-2023 04:27
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Shifting Soil Carbon with Global Warming - The Mycorrhizal Connection

There is an underground network of fungal hyphae FAR more extensive than the root systems of the plants.

About 50 times as much soil surface area is in contact with fungal hyphae, rather than plant root.

Some of these fungi are independent operators, just looking for a food source.

Most of these fungi are in symbiotic partnership with the plants, connected to their root systems.

There are multiple connections to global warming, only a few of which will fit into this post.

One big change with global warming is that taiga is expanding northward into tundra.

The southern tundra has warmed up enough that taiga forest can now move in to out compete the tundra.

One big difference between taiga and tundra, besides average size of the plants, is the makeup of the mycorrhizal fungi community.

Ericoid mycorrhiza dominate the tundra. Ectomycorrhiza and some vesicular arbuscular mycorrhiza dominate the taiga.

When warmer conditions permit taiga to overtake tundra, there begins a net LOSS of soil organic matter. Net EMISSION of CO2 to the atmosphere.

Ericoid mycorrhiza did a much better job storing carbon in the soil than do ectomycorrhiza.

The taiga is still pumping carbon underground via mycorrhizal fungi, but not nearly as much as the tundra did.

And the former tundra soil has thawed enough to allow the massive reservoir of organic carbon to decompose and release carbon dioxide.

Similar shifts occur without the confounding variable of frozen soil thawing in other places.

Where nitric acid in "acid rain" caused fast growing weeds to take over heathlands in Europe's "low" countries (barely above sea level), this brought about a net loss of soil organic matter.

Again, the new species that moved in did NOT have the ericoid mycorrhiza that dominated the heathland before their arrival.

In these cases, it was more clear that the loss of soil carbon was due to shift in mycorrhizal fungi, and not influenced by a new thawing of the underlying soil.
07-06-2023 04:29
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
"On Demand" Fertilizer via Mycorrhizal Fungi

Nature provides a model for ensuring that applied nitrogen remains stable in the soil until the crop plant is ready to use it. Only the crop plant can access the nitrogen, starving out the competing weeds without need for herbicide. None of the nitrogen will be lost to nitrate leaching or denitrification.

Consider the ericoid mycorrhizal associations of heathland communities.

The plants have very high polyphenol content, ensuring that the nitrogen in their litter is immobilized in a recalcitrant form resistant to mineralization.

The enzyme required to mobilize the nitrogen is made only by the ericoid mycorrhizal fungi associated with the roots of the polyphenol rich plant.

Nitrogen is supplied "on demand" as the plant feeds its mycorrhizal fungi when it needs more. Otherwise the nitrogen just sits there waiting as long as needed

This also maximizes soil carbon accumulation, which is nice.
07-06-2023 04:30
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Soil Salinization and the Downfall of Civilizations.

As soil minerals weather, sodium and chlorine contained in the solid mineral matrix are released as sodium and chloride ions. Salt.

The climate was different 4000 years ago. The historic timeline for the cycle of glacier/sea level rise and fall was in a very different position.

Mesopotamia and northern China got plenty of rainfall in those days.

No need for irrigation. Plenty of rain for the wheat crops, rinsing out the newest salts formed, and bringing in no new salt in the process.

Then it got drier.

This could well have been the birth of large scale civilization.

Wheat couldn't grow without irrigation water being brought in from the nearest river.

Distant villages all had to cooperate for the construction and maintenance of canals and drainage ditches. It could only be accomplished with a powerful central government.

They learned how to periodically flood the fields with excess irrigation water to wash out the salt.

It was successful for a long time, but the climate kept getting drier in those regions.

Eventually, there was just too much salt to deal with, and large areas of cropland were abandoned. Civilizations fell.

When large scale agriculture came to the San Joaquin Valley, it was already too dry for rain to support crops and rinse out excess salt.

Drainage ditches at lower elevation than irrigation ditches took the salt enriched water from from the fields, and then it was pumped uphill into surface water.

But they already knew that it was salting up the San Joaquin River, so they created a special canal just for the drainage water and sent it all the Kesterson Slough.

They built a giant toilet and started using it.

But they never finished the building the plumbing.

It was supposed to all drain into the San Francisco Bay, but it never got there.

They still keep using the toilet, filling the Kesteron Slough with farm salts.

Eventually, migratory birds started dying off from selenium poisoning.

Don't worry. Scientists are working on it.

But that first pulse of effluent to the San Francisco Bay will be DEADLY, and they are still figuring out how they will control it for minimum damage.

Soil Salinization and the Downfall of Civilizations.
07-06-2023 04:31
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Even Half of the Nile Delta Dried Up

Humans drew pictures of lakes and wildlife in the Sahara 7000 years ago.

North Africa got a lot more rain in those days.

The Nile Delta received a lot more river water.

Humans were recording the history as nearly half the cropland in the Nile Delta had to be abandoned.

Farming the remaining half required a new network of canals to bring in irrigation water. Annual flooding no longer did the job.

At least they still had a river to work with.

Having to construct a large scale water transport system forced them to work together across tribal boundaries under a large central government.
07-06-2023 04:33
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Agriculture. Whendee Silver and Kate Scow.

This thread isn't ALL about condoms.

Whendee Silver, of UC Berkeley, and Kate Scow of UC Davis have done groundbreaking work into breaking ground for more soil carbon storage.

Back in the day they said it took a thousand years to build an inch of topsoil.

Whendee and Kate have been showing that soil can be built up with added organic matter MUCH more rapidly than that.

Historically, throughout the world, many agricultural practices already did it.

Many variations of the "plaggen epipedon". An ANTHROPOGENIC top soil.

Farmers collected high carbon:nitrogen ratio organic matter to use as bedding for livestock. Wheat straw, pine needles, crop residues, deciduous leaf fall..

The livestock enriched the high C:N material with nitrogen and other nutrients.

The chemical nature of the bedding immobilized those nutrients into stable slow release form.

When the bedding was changed out, the old stuff was put out into the field as nutrient-rich compost.

Over time it built up a HIGHLY productive, organic-carbon-rich topsoil, unlike anything nature can make without human intervention.

People who care about climate change will want to ask about the work being done by Whendee Silver and Kate Scow.

People who hope that practical and inexpensive solutions exist will be happy.
07-06-2023 04:34
sealover
★★★★☆
(1249)
[quote]sealover wrote:
The politics of peasant farming. Plan Sierra.

In the late 1970s, Plan Sierra was established as an integrated rural development project in the central highlands of the Dominican Republic.

The brainchild of a slightly Marxist agricultural economic professor at UC Berkeley.

Technically, an NGO, it had heavy buy in and support from the Dominican government.

It was phenomenally successful.

Rural clinics and schools were built in many villages that didn't have them before.

Reforestation prevented the big hydroelectric reservoirs from silting up.

Clean river flow was restored year round where deforestation had caused it to dry up part of the year, and then have muddy floods when it rained.

Agricultural cooperatives were established to assist peasant farmers.

They were phenomenally successful.

Traditionally, farmers had to pay profiteers to process their coffee, for example.

No farmer could afford their own coffee depulper.

But the cooperative could afford one, and they could all share it, and charge themselves a fair price for the service.

Same with purchase of many other tools needed for farming. And seeds. And fertilizers. And transport vehicles. etc. etc.

Given seed money, the cooperative of farmers could own their own stuff, and not get gouged for the products or services. And have a better chance to name their own price for sales or services.

The Berkeley ag economist who thought of it was only SLIGHTLY Marxist.

He knew that there was no good reason to try to collectivize land or labor.

It had led to massive starvation when it was tried before in the Soviet Union and China.

But he didn't realize it would be the same problem for fish ponds.

Aquaculture was part of the program, and every farm collective built at least one fish pond, for tilapia mostly.

They all failed, at first.

Everyone was going to get an equal cut of the fish, no matter how much or little they contributed to the fish farming effort.

Soon enough, entrepeneurs started making secret deals to work the ponds.

Wink wink from the collective.

Then the aquaculture program also became a phenomenal success.

It's almost comical to see propaganda the film footage of the land collectivization efforts in the Communist countries that did it.

A hundred peasants, all dressed in their Sunday-best clothes, standing shoulder to shoulder to hoe the newly collectivized farmland.

Millions of them later starved to death as a result.
Page 16 of 21<<<1415161718>>>

Join the debate Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Agroecosystems:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Happy fourth of July. I wonder how many liberals are eating carbon cooked burgers106-07-2023 23:52
Uses for solid carbon3006-07-2023 23:51
Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Wetlands9623-06-2023 14:49
Biden wants to force 'carbon capture'821-06-2023 12:55
Carbon losses from soil predicted to enhance climate change5216-06-2023 09:44
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact