☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
Please could someone outline some solutions in regards to plastic packaging
09-08-2021 23:27
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Gofigure wrote:

Could you please outline some of the problems with plastic packaging that "need to be solved"? Please be more specific so that we can be of assistance to you.

09-08-2021 23:48
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Gofigure wrote:

I think some stores are going back to paper bags. People don't like paying a deposit on a container and then taking it back to the store. It's cheaper to reuse containers than making new ones.
With packaging, frozen items usually come in packaging that cannot be recycled because of how it's processed. It might have a wax or plastic type coating over cardboard.
Still, with top soil becoming depleted, maybe a good shredding would allow it to act as fill and then fertilizer/nutrients could be added. It'd basically be like hydroponics only using industrial waste on a large scale rather than filling up landfills.
10-08-2021 02:03
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
Everything you purchase from toothpaste to food ,clothes and even fertiliser is packaged with plastic. Waste streams are ineffective at taking care of the situation, how can it be rectified to stop it getting in the oceans and land and even the atmosphere
10-08-2021 02:12
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14416)

Gofigure wrote:Everything you purchase from toothpaste to food ,clothes and even fertiliser is packaged with plastic.

I purchased some soap that was packaged in paper, not in plastic.

I purchased some mushrooms that came in a can, not in plastic.

Hmmmm.

Gofigure wrote: Waste streams are ineffective at taking care of the situation,

Stop imagining that there is a "situation."

10-08-2021 02:19
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
Well that's great that you found paper packaged products that was probably shrink-wrapped on the pallet.
I'm not looking for individual scenarios but rather sensible industrial solutions.The amount of plastic released into the oceans is deplorable
10-08-2021 02:23
(14416)

Gofigure wrote:Please could someone outline some solutions in regards to plastic packaging

1. Make sure plastic packaging is tightly sealed.
2. Make plastic packaging transparent whenever possible
3. Encourage more people to buy refillable hard plastic containers.

That's off the cuff.

10-08-2021 03:27
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Gofigure wrote:
Everything you purchase from toothpaste to food ,clothes and even fertiliser is packaged with plastic. Waste streams are ineffective at taking care of the situation, how can it be rectified to stop it getting in the oceans and land and even the atmosphere

Most that is trash is probably recyclable. Some people live zero waste to landfills with what they use at home. The problem might be that too many people don't care. They'd need to think about what they're doing.
10-08-2021 06:42
(14416)
Gofigure wrote:The amount of plastic released into the oceans is deplorable

Are you aware that the panic generated about the threat of the growing plastic sea monster is a scam? It's not real.

You have never seen this plastic monster in the ocean. Ask me how I know.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
10-08-2021 07:03
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
Gofigure wrote:The amount of plastic released into the oceans is deplorable

Are you aware that the panic generated about the threat of the growing plastic sea monster is a scam? It's not real.

You have never seen this plastic monster in the ocean. Ask me how I know.

This is just sad. It's well known that ocean currents congregate masses of waste.
It's basic ocean pollution 101. Next, we will discuss what a penis and a vagina is.
Some people might not understand how bipedal hominids of the genus homo sapiens sapiens reproduce.
Homo sapiens sapiens are the only genus of bipedal hominids that are homo sapiens that are a viable subset. And your question is what?

p.s., there are other genus of homo sapiens which are not homo sapiens sapiens.
I do think homo sapiens erectus (erectus most likely refers to standing erect) was another genus. Get it? Bipedal kind of requires moving on 2 feet.
And erectus means to stand upright. And after homo sapiens erectus is homo sapiens sapiens. Notice the pattern here?
Edited on 10-08-2021 07:10
10-08-2021 07:46
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
Guys I just want some solutions to the problem. Plastic pollution is a new threat that's only started occurring around 50 years ago and has increased hugely with time. Can we revisit the past and improve on it? Paper packaging 2025 style!
10-08-2021 08:06
(14416)
Gofigure wrote:Guys I just want some solutions to the problem.

There is no problem. You have to have a problem in order to have a solution.

Gofigure wrote:Plastic pollution is a new threat

There is no threat aside from Marxist fear-mongering. Maybe you don't speak English well and don't know what the word means.

Just a recommendation:

Step 1. Clearly explain the problem in detail.
Step 2. Ask for thoughts on how to best address the problem.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
10-08-2021 16:56
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Gofigure wrote:
Guys I just want some solutions to the problem.

You haven't clearly detailed what "the problem" is yet... You're just claiming that there are plastic sea monsters in the oceans. What plastic sea monsters? I'm not understanding what "problem" you're trying to solve...

Gofigure wrote:
Plastic pollution is a new threat that's only started occurring around 50 years ago and has increased hugely with time. Can we revisit the past and improve on it? Paper packaging 2025 style!

What "plastic pollution"?

Edited on 10-08-2021 16:57
10-08-2021 19:19
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21600)
Gofigure wrote:
Guys I just want some solutions to the problem. Plastic pollution is a new threat that's only started occurring around 50 years ago and has increased hugely with time. Can we revisit the past and improve on it? Paper packaging 2025 style!

Define 'pollution'. Just exactly what is 'pollution'?

Plastic is no threat. It is a useful material. It has many uses.

Did you know that all plastics break down under exposure to UV light...you know...the same light that gives you suntans and sunburns?

Did you know that plastic in the ocean is also food to bacteria in the ocean?

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
10-08-2021 21:18
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
Sea mammals are consuming plastic debris to no fault of there own..If we keep messing with the ecology it will have consequences....so then who is the great sea monster scare monger
10-08-2021 22:35
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
Into the Night wrote:
Gofigure wrote:

Did you know that all plastics break down under exposure to UV light...you know...the same light that gives you suntans and sunburns?

10-08-2021 22:40
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
Into the Night wrote:
Gofigure wrote:

there is bacteria on everything some good and some bad..yes plastic is useful(to man) and completely useless to everything else..mankind needs to stop being selfish
10-08-2021 23:15
(14416)

Gofigure wrote:Sea mammals are consuming plastic debris to no fault of there own.

It is their fault if they consume it.

Nonetheless, why should any rational adult believe your claim? Are you a gullible person who simply regurgitates what other people order you to say? Do you believe everything you are instructed to believe?

Why should I worry and panic over some "crisis" that you have been led to believe because you are gullible?

Gofigure wrote:.If we keep messing with the ecology

This is the Marxist "we" isn't it? You aren't including yourself in that, right? My question is why are you including me? I haven't messed with any ecology. Why are you picking a fight with me? I was sitting here, minding my own business when you came barrelling in leveling baseless accusations.

Why should any rational adult believe that I am somehow messing with the ecology and forcing sea mammals to eat plastic?

I think you owe me an explanation. If your answer is that you were just gullibly spreading the panic you were ordered to spread then I can understand ... but you need to state that up front.

Gofigure wrote:... it will have consequences..

Ooooh. Aaaah. Were you going to elaborate or did your slavemasters order you to avoid specifics?

11-08-2021 02:00
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
James___ wrote:
Gofigure wrote:

Most that is trash is probably recyclable. Some people live zero waste to landfills with what they use at home. The problem might be that too many people don't care. They'd need to think about what they're doing.

Hate to break it to you, but a lot of the stuff you sort out, rinse out, and put in the recycling bins, end up in the landfill anyway.. Limited market for recycled materials, not to mention that recycling is still more expensive, than raw materials. Metals are usually worthwhile, plastics and paper, not so much.

Burning plastic and paper waste, to generate electricity, would probably a great use. Could be more productive, than solar panels and windmills...
11-08-2021 02:23
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
Indonesia environmentalist accuse Australian government of smuggling plastic waste..google this and you can clearly see an example of sloppy waste management practices!
11-08-2021 03:58
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Gofigure wrote:
Indonesia environmentalist accuse Australian government of smuggling plastic waste..google this and you can clearly see an example of sloppy waste management practices!

This kind of goes back to it takes less energy to wash and reuse a plastic item than to either recycle it into a new product or to make plastic. What might be an issue is that plastic is made from petroleum products. That affects gas prices because of the return on a barrel of crude oil.
An example is if plastic containers were reused, they might last for over 100 years. This gets into the supply chain and could naphtha which is used to make plastic be economically stored? If so, then reusing plastic containers could conserve the materials that make it.
What most people aren't concerned about is sustainability. They're more concerned about having an easy life.
11-08-2021 04:12
(14416)

Gofigure wrote:Indonesia environmentalist accuse Australian government of smuggling plastic waste..google this and you can clearly see an example of sloppy waste management practices!

In the English language, an example of an accusation of sloppy waste management is not an example of sloppy waste management, it is an example of an accusation of sloppy waste management. You kind of have to practice the language a few years to master the subtleties.

I'm still waiting for you to define this mysterious problem of yours. I get it that it involves some plastic parts but it certainly seems to be beyond your English profociency to express. Would it help if you were to express this phenomenon in some other language?

11-08-2021 07:50
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
I'm still waiting for you to define this mysterious problem of yours. I get it that it involves some plastic parts but it certainly seems to be beyond your English profociency to express. Would it help if you were to express this phenomenon in some other language?

ok you get the plastic part but can't get me because you seem to be on a point of being a genius or stupid,certainly someone we all can't take seriously, but this thread is not about you or me.Its about finding a better way or in other words finding some practice solutions

[/quote]
11-08-2021 08:32
(14416)
Gofigure wrote: ... but this thread is not about you or me.Its about finding a better way or in other words finding some practice solutions

Nope. There can't be any solutions without a defined problem. You have had ample opportunity to detail any problem you believe exists and you have thus far detailed absolutely nothing.

Therefore we must presume that there is no problem requiring any solution.

So why are you wasting the bandwidth here? What did Climate-Debate ever do to you?

11-08-2021 09:57
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
Thanks for your points James..It is true, humans in general just want the easy life! what they are failing to see is that plastic pollution is not sustainable for there children!..So could eco friendly people be enticed to buy products that's been packaged in hemp and wood like they did 200 years ago this all being generated by a eco friendly industry and given a green pass by a eco friendly government?
11-08-2021 10:57
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
Then of course there's the eco friendly investors..all of whom knows that the products first waste is its package!
11-08-2021 11:02
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
The wood and hemp might even be reused
11-08-2021 16:05
(14416)

Gofigure wrote:It is true, humans in general just want the easy life!

It applies to all animal life and represents the 2nd law of thermodynamics in the evolution of life. Any life form that can acquire more resources while expending less energy will have a statistical advantage in surviving and in getting its genes into the next generation.

Gofigure wrote:what they are failing to see is

... any definition of "plastic pollution" or of any sort of problem requiring any sort of solution.

I presume that you aren't aware of any specific problem as far as you can tell. You have to be an idiot to just ask for "solutions" sans any problem.

Go learn English while you are letting that sink in.

11-08-2021 17:27
(21600)
Gofigure wrote:
Sea mammals are consuming plastic debris to no fault of there own.

So they're stupid. What else is new? Did you know that license plates to cars have been found ingested by sharks?
Gofigure wrote:
If we keep messing with the ecology it will have consequences.

...such as? You're gonna have to do better at defining a specific problem.
Gofigure wrote:
...so then who is the great sea monster scare monger

You.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
11-08-2021 17:29
(21600)
Gofigure wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Gofigure wrote:

there is bacteria on everything some good and some bad.

Who are you to judge a bacterium to be evil? You put you in command?
Gofigure wrote:
yes plastic is useful(to man) and completely useless to everything else.

I JUST TOLD YOU that plastic is food to these bacteria. Plastic is useful to them.
Gofigure wrote:
mankind needs to stop being selfish

We're not. These bacteria are hungry! We're feeding them!

The Parrot Killer

11-08-2021 17:31
(21600)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Gofigure wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but a lot of the stuff you sort out, rinse out, and put in the recycling bins, end up in the landfill anyway.. Limited market for recycled materials, not to mention that recycling is still more expensive, than raw materials. Metals are usually worthwhile, plastics and paper, not so much.

Burning plastic and paper waste, to generate electricity, would probably a great use. Could be more productive, than solar panels and windmills...

Some plastics can be recycled, if they make it as far as a recycle center. Otherwise, it's best just to put it in a landfill. Somehow, this clown thinks a landfill leaks into the sea.

The Parrot Killer

11-08-2021 17:32
(21600)
Gofigure wrote:

Why should anyone believe any environmentalist? You have yet to define 'the problem'.

The Parrot Killer

11-08-2021 17:36
(21600)
Gofigure wrote:
...removed poor quoting and cleaned up formatting...
ok you get the plastic part but can't get me because you seem to be on a point of being a genius or stupid,certainly someone we all can't take seriously, but this thread is not about you or me.Its about finding a better way or in other words finding some practice solutions

You are going to have to define the problem, specifically. You can't have a solution without a specific problem to solve.

What, specifically, is the problem with some plastic getting into the ocean?
Most plastic is put in landfills.
Some is recycled.

Plastic feeds bacteria.

The Parrot Killer

11-08-2021 17:39
(21600)
Gofigure wrote:
Thanks for your points James..It is true, humans in general just want the easy life!

Right out of Marx. Apparently you feel that everyone should have a hard life...except of course YOU.
Gofigure wrote:
what they are failing to see is that plastic pollution

Define 'plastic pollution'. For that matter, define 'pollution'.
Gofigure wrote:
is not sustainable for there children!

So this 'pollution' is no longer a problem? Okay. Consider your complaint resolved.
Gofigure wrote:
So could eco friendly people be enticed to buy products that's been packaged in hemp and wood like they did 200 years ago this all being generated by a eco friendly industry and given a green pass by a eco friendly government?

Why? You said this 'pollution' isn't sustainable. It's no longer a problem? What about hemp pollution? What about wood pollution?

The Parrot Killer

11-08-2021 17:41
(21600)
Gofigure wrote:
Then of course there's the eco friendly investors..all of whom knows that the products first waste is its package!

So...any waste is pollution? What do YOU do with your waste? Hoard it?

Can't imagine what your neighbors think of you, with all that waste stacked about your place!

The Parrot Killer

11-08-2021 17:42
(21600)
Gofigure wrote:
The wood and hemp might even be reused

What are you going do with it? Smoke it?

The Parrot Killer

11-08-2021 17:44
(21600)
IBdaMann wrote:

It applies to all animal life and represents the 2nd law of thermodynamics in the evolution of life. Any life form that can acquire more resources while expending less energy will have a statistical advantage in surviving and in getting its genes into the next generation.

I've noticed this about both the Church of Green and the Church of Global Warming. It's lately been showing up in the Church of Covid as well.

They all speak Liberal. Fewer and fewer of them even know any English.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 11-08-2021 17:46
11-08-2021 21:39
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
IBdaMann wrote:

It applies to all animal life and represents the 2nd law of thermodynamics in the evolution of life. Any life form that can acquire more resources while expending less energy will have a statistical advantage in surviving and in getting its genes into the

There must be a clause in the law that says it got to be sustainable otherwise the pantry will be empty!

11-08-2021 21:48
Gofigure
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
I just looked in the pantry and there's a numberplate some plastic and bacteria for dinner!
11-08-2021 21:51
(14416)

Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I've noticed this about both the Church of Green and the Church of Global Warming. It's lately been showing up in the Church of Covid as well.

They all speak Liberal. Fewer and fewer of them even know any English.

Agreed. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm somehow a bad person for wanting an easy life. Now I need to wonder if I am a bad parent for teaching my children to "work smarter, not harder." Perhaps I am a bad person for trying to give my children every advantage in getting their genes into the next generation.

I just never realized how truly bad I really am. This is a lot to take all at once.

Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate Industrial solutions:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Top Entities Only Want To Steal New Ideas Solutions, Do Not Want To Buy It203-12-2023 21:07
Climate change - effects, impact and solutions3417-08-2023 08:19
The Correct Public Strategy Solutions For The Climate Change Problem103-11-2022 20:09
People Must Start New Project To Share Solutions To End The COVID Event, Blaming Do Not Help221-11-2021 04:49
Impactful individual-level solutions towards carbon footprint reduction3119-10-2021 22:25
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact