Remember me
▼ Content

Where's the Snow?

Page 2 of 2<12
20-10-2020 17:00
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2933)
Well, a year later and global warming continues in my region of the planet.

Yesterday Cedar Rapids Ia recorded it earliest 2 inch snowfall in 128 years of record keeping. It was more like 5 inches in Cedar Rapids and up to 9 inches around Des Moines.

Total bullshit!
20-10-2020 17:36
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
I don't get it. Fall officially just started, we are already down in the upper 70's. Might get up into the lower 80's, if the cloud cover clears. But rain is a 50% the whole day, so not likely.

Looks like I should start digging around, and see if I still own a jacket... Last year, managed a sweatshirt, and a couple of long-sleeve shirts, which was good enough.

Hope that ozone hole ice age thing isn't starting up again. Those damn BLM vandal, spray obscene graffiti everywhere. Must be some sort of gay-gang tag...

Have to look it up again, forgot the explanation, of how an early, brutal winter, is a sign of global warming. It was almost amusing, if I didn't have to pull the cover off my central AC unit, to blow the dust off the heater coil. Been a few years, since last time, probably not a good idea to let it just burn off, like I use to. Might be a fire hazard this time.
20-10-2020 20:09
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
All this anecdotal stuff doesn't really tell you anything regarding climate change.
What's needed is a perspective over time.
20-10-2020 20:18
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
Des Moines currently appears to be experiencing strong winds blowing westerly, approx 20 kmh. The winds appear to be part of a cyclone pattern, starting around great lakes, blowing southwest, then northwest across Des Moines, then making a u turn and blowing northeast across Hudson Bay.

Beautiful weather out west by the devil's mountain continues. Not too windy here, but a mild westerly breeze prevailed this morning. Not a cloud in the sky. Last week's highs were 90s all week, and 96 was highest I saw. Today's high is forecast for 89. Hopefully nobody starts a fire. I came across a broken torch nozzle and a slightly charred tree a few days ago. And the day before that some broken glass and burnt shrubs. Luckily the vandals achieved little success in ruining the beautiful weather for now...
20-10-2020 20:30
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2933)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Des Moines currently appears to be experiencing strong winds blowing westerly, approx 20 kmh. The winds appear to be part of a cyclone pattern, starting around great lakes, blowing southwest, then northwest across Des Moines, then making a u turn and blowing northeast across Hudson Bay..

Well that's odd....you do have quite an imagination.
Surface observations at DesMoines have generally east winds since midnight at 5-10 mph.

Sidenote...CO2 readings were not reported.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
20-10-2020 21:11
(1643)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Des Moines currently appears to be experiencing strong winds blowing westerly, approx 20 kmh. The winds appear to be part of a cyclone pattern, starting around great lakes, blowing southwest, then northwest across Des Moines, then making a u turn and blowing northeast across Hudson Bay..

Surface observations at DesMoines have generally east winds since midnight at 5-10 mph.

Hmm...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-91.31,34.06,903/loc=-94.574,42.340

Just move the dot to the latitude longitude for des moines.
20-10-2020 21:22
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2933)
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Hmm...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-91.31,34.06,903/loc=-94.574,42.340

Just move the dot to the latitude longitude for des moines.

Apparently your pretty picture is a bunch of crap.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
Attached image:

20-10-2020 21:25
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2933)
Ground truth observations.

Attached image:

Edited on 20-10-2020 21:26
20-10-2020 22:47
(1643)
GasGuzzler wrote:

It looks like it picked up the location of Tropical Storm Epsilon which matches the latest report from NOAA.

Doesn't look like it can pinpoint the exact conditions at the Des Moines airport! Seems like it gives a big picture view of prevailing wind patterns all around the world. It lists sources as GFS , NCEP , US National Weather Sevice

You folks like to make a lot of all or nothing statements. Like if the tool can't know it all, then it must know nothing!
20-10-2020 23:08
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2933)
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

It looks like it picked up the location of Tropical Storm Epsilon which matches the latest report from NOAA.

Doesn't look like it can pinpoint the exact conditions at the Des Moines airport! Seems like it gives a big picture view of prevailing wind patterns all around the world. It lists sources as GFS , NCEP , US National Weather Sevice

You folks like to make a lot of all or nothing statements. Like if the tool can't know it all, then it must know nothing!

Oh, so these were forecast "models". No surprise there.

20-10-2020 23:45
(1643)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

They say it's updated every 3 hours.
20-10-2020 23:50
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2933)
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

It's wrong.

21-10-2020 01:10
(1643)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

It's wrong.

Don't like that link. Try this one.

https://www.windfinder.com/#7/41.6301/-93.5831

Are you sure we're even disagreeing?

I look at this map and I see wind blowing northwest from the southeast in Des Moines. The map labels it SE wind. I would say it is prevailing to move NW.
21-10-2020 03:28
(5197)
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Haven't bothered with Epsilon today, but it was down near Bermuda, last I checked, wasn't expected to bother Florida, or the US at all. Another do-nothing storm. Not sure why it would cause it to snow in Iowa, but then again, I never really got a handle on all this global warming stuff.

My guess is that global warming believers, were some of the last humans to venture out of the caves, long after much of the ice had melted, too frightened of the shadow pictures cast by the fire, on the walls. They are somehow a little slow evolving, and still frighten easily of images on the wall (TV screens), and hide in their basements (caves), until they are certain it's safe to venture out (covid). Mean while, the more advanced majority of the species lived, enjoyed life, and prosper.
21-10-2020 03:41
(5197)
keepit wrote:
All this anecdotal stuff doesn't really tell you anything regarding climate change.
What's needed is a perspective over time.

Well, some people gain perspective, by actually stepping out of their house everyday, and living their lives, first hand. Others get their perspective from finding in their basement, watching the world from a computer screen. Who's perspective, is most likely an accurate account, of what's actually going on in the world? Computer simulations and models, will never replace reality. They are like a digital LSD trip. Just say 'No' to drugs...
21-10-2020 04:44
(1643)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Haven't bothered with Epsilon today, but it was down near Bermuda, last I checked, wasn't expected to bother Florida, or the US at all. Another do-nothing storm. Not sure why it would cause it to snow in Iowa, but then again, I never really got a handle on all this global warming stuff.

My guess is that global warming believers, were some of the last humans to venture out of the caves, long after much of the ice had melted, too frightened of the shadow pictures cast by the fire, on the walls. They are somehow a little slow evolving, and still frighten easily of images on the wall (TV screens), and hide in their basements (caves), until they are certain it's safe to venture out (covid). Mean while, the more advanced majority of the species lived, enjoyed life, and prosper.

Epsilon still looks like it's far east from FL. Winds are like 40 mph. According to global wind map.

It was cited to show a known weather event picked up by the global wind map cited here, which gas guzzler called "wrong"

This morning that map showed the wind pattern around the great Lakes which was moving northwestward reached as far as Des Moines.

I just checked again and those "great lake winds" aren't reaching as far as Des Moines anymore.

No more snow in the forecast for the next few days is there gas guzzler? On Thursday they re forecasting rain lightning and a high of 75. That could be exciting...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-95.02,46.74,1842/loc=-93.483,41.661

The way I'm looking at it, "climate change" is like the chicken little story about the sky falling.
21-10-2020 20:35
(5197)
Epsilon is a Cat 1 hurricane, and is expected to stay well easy of Bermuda, and out to sea. Not expected to strengthen.
06-11-2020 06:26
Carlos D Silva
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
I was in Duluth at my cousin's place last month. They had their first snow in the third week of October. My cousin sister said that it is going to snow again the week after that according to the weather forecast, but my Climacell data showed otherwise (I use it for my business). I am still waiting for that snow
06-11-2020 10:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Carlos D Silva wrote:
I was in Duluth at my cousin's place last month. They had their first snow in the third week of October. My cousin sister said that it is going to snow again the week after that according to the weather forecast, but my Climacell data showed otherwise (I use it for my business). I am still waiting for that snow

In Kentucky, it will reach 70° F. this week. The problem might be that the Norwegian Jet Stream , what these guys will call it even though it's the tropical jet stream. It seems to be riding the 49th parallel better known as the US - Canadian border. You're getting warm air from the Gulf of Mexico.

I wonder it there's going to be another hole in the ozona layer above the Arctic. That's a rare event but the polar jet stream stayed north when it happened.

This is from February of this year. It seems to be happening again.
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/what-happened-winter-jet-stream-science-explains-unseasonable-warmth-u-n1136136
Edited on 06-11-2020 10:19
06-11-2020 15:24
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14413)
James___ wrote: In Kentucky, it will reach 70° F. this week.

James, you don't get to speak in the future tense like it's "what we know." There's one poster on this board that does that and no one pays him no never-mahnd. Just wait for it to happen and then talk about it when it is in fact "what we know."

Also, you should specify the volume or point that will reach 70° F and how you expect it to be measured/calculated.

James___ wrote: The problem might be that the Norwegian Jet Stream , what these guys will call it even though it's the tropical jet stream.

The Norwegian Jet Stream (NJS) is never the problem unless you are a RACIST! The NJS is a victim who deserves reparations and to receive Climate Change wealth redistribution. Who else is going to fly through the ozone hole or carry Santa's sleigh? I hope you don't think the reindeer can do that all by themselves.

James___ wrote: It seems to be riding the 49th parallel better known as the US - Canadian border.

It's a standard dry run before Christmas. This happens every year to ensure logistics are up to snuff to ensure Santa's sleigh has the right amount of fuel.

James___ wrote: I wonder it there's going to be another hole in the ozona layer above the Arctic.

Of course, that will be the Grand Finale! The lights, the fireworks, the loop-de-loop! I'm sure it will be even more amazing than last year.

James___ wrote: That's a rare event but the polar jet stream stayed north when it happened.

The polar jet stream has been getting shitty assignments lately. But its turn will come one of these days.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
06-11-2020 16:18
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: In Kentucky, it will reach 70° F. this week.

James, you don't get to speak in the future tense like it's "what we know." There's one poster on this board that does that and no one pays him no never-mahnd. Just wait for it to happen and then talk about it when it is in fact "what we know."

Also, you should specify the volume or point that will reach 70° F and how you expect it to be measured/calculated.

James___ wrote: The problem might be that the Norwegian Jet Stream , what these guys will call it even though it's the tropical jet stream.

The Norwegian Jet Stream (NJS) is never the problem unless you are a RACIST! The NJS is a victim who deserves reparations and to receive Climate Change wealth redistribution. Who else is going to fly through the ozone hole or carry Santa's sleigh? I hope you don't think the reindeer can do that all by themselves.

James___ wrote: It seems to be riding the 49th parallel better known as the US - Canadian border.

It's a standard dry run before Christmas. This happens every year to ensure logistics are up to snuff to ensure Santa's sleigh has the right amount of fuel.

James___ wrote: I wonder it there's going to be another hole in the ozona layer above the Arctic.

Of course, that will be the Grand Finale! The lights, the fireworks, the loop-de-loop! I'm sure it will be even more amazing than last year.

James___ wrote: That's a rare event but the polar jet stream stayed north when it happened.

The polar jet stream has been getting shitty assignments lately. But its turn will come one of these days.

Who else is going to fly through the ozone hole or carry Santa's sleigh? I hope you don't think the reindeer can do that all by themselves.

They (the reindeer) receive proper training first silly!

p.s., it does seem that a hole in the ozone layer over the arctic is occurring https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/ozone_maps/movies/OZONE_D2020-11-01%25P1D_G%5e1920X1080.IOMPS_PNPP_V21_MMERRA2_LNH.mp4. It's actually the tropical jet stream which is usually found at about 30º N. Lat . It appears that the small hole in the arctic ozone layer has caused the NJS to form a tight polar vortex keeping the cold air up north.

Attached image:

Edited on 06-11-2020 16:23
06-11-2020 17:17
(5197)
70 F, like when you get up in the morning? We did have a few days last week, where it almost dropped down in the 50s at night. Think 63 F was the lowest it got here. Almost long pants weather... Could go for another 30-40 years of global warming, really hate when it gets cold for a few day.
Page 2 of 2<12

Join the debate Where's the Snow?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Lake Mead water level is still rising in August, when it is ALWAYS falling. So snow melt is not the 15516-09-2023 13:46
Alaskan Snow Crab Population Shrinks 90% In 3 Years818-10-2022 23:07
Snow: predicted decline globally, increase locally16718-05-2019 21:23
Amy Kloubuchar uses snow to prove there is climate change. Now that's top level Marxism.613-02-2019 23:05
Stream of thought poem re: London snow storms/Garbage Island002-02-2019 13:41
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact