Remember me
▼ Content

Where's the Snow?


Where's the Snow?31-10-2019 02:57
HarveyH55
★★★★☆
(1482)
I know, snow is rare in Florida, but we have still been enjoying summer weather, with little induction of a climate change anytime soon. Still about a month left in hurricane season, but the last couple possibles, failed, so guess we are done for the year.

October should be a snow month for many up north. Maybe not blizzards, or anything to gain national attention, but there should be some normal snow falling some places. Just curious, we are still in the low 90s, where we'd normally have had at least a few cooler days by now (low 80s). Hopefully, it's another mild winter, and doesn't drop down into the 40s again...
31-10-2019 05:41
GasGuzzler
★★★★☆
(1474)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I know, snow is rare in Florida, but we have still been enjoying summer weather, with little induction of a climate change anytime soon. Still about a month left in hurricane season, but the last couple possibles, failed, so guess we are done for the year.

October should be a snow month for many up north. Maybe not blizzards, or anything to gain national attention, but there should be some normal snow falling some places. Just curious, we are still in the low 90s, where we'd normally have had at least a few cooler days by now (low 80s). Hopefully, it's another mild winter, and doesn't drop down into the 40s again...


Eastern Iowa....
Oct snow is pretty rare.

3'' Sunday night and 4' more tonight. Recorded historical highs are normally in the 50s. We've been in the 30s. Guess we need more CO2 in these parts. I'll try harder to pull my weight.

Looks to be in the top 3 coldest Halloweens on record.


spot-
Into the Night is also has delusions of comptance
Edited on 31-10-2019 05:42
31-10-2019 10:00
HarveyH55
★★★★☆
(1482)
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
I know, snow is rare in Florida, but we have still been enjoying summer weather, with little induction of a climate change anytime soon. Still about a month left in hurricane season, but the last couple possibles, failed, so guess we are done for the year.

October should be a snow month for many up north. Maybe not blizzards, or anything to gain national attention, but there should be some normal snow falling some places. Just curious, we are still in the low 90s, where we'd normally have had at least a few cooler days by now (low 80s). Hopefully, it's another mild winter, and doesn't drop down into the 40s again...


Eastern Iowa....
Oct snow is pretty rare.

3'' Sunday night and 4' more tonight. Recorded historical highs are normally in the 50s. We've been in the 30s. Guess we need more CO2 in these parts. I'll try harder to pull my weight.

Looks to be in the top 3 coldest Halloweens on record.


That kind of sucks. Growing up on the side of mountain in Oregon, snow in October wasn't uncommon, but not much accumulation. We had to wait until around Thanksgiving, for possible school closures, but that was 16 inches on the roads.

Halloween was less supervised, when I was a kid, lot of kids, few adults. The adults were more concerned the small kids might get lost or hurt, not because of crime.
31-10-2019 16:20
GasGuzzler
★★★★☆
(1474)
Morning update....

4.5" of snow at my house overnight, localized 6".

Schools running on normal schedule (although superintendents will get a serious ass chewing. Wrecks everywhere, air ambulance dispatched to one of them, power lines knocked over in another crash, interstates 80 closed with a jackknifed big rig)

This sucks Harvey! You got a spare bedroom for me in Florida?
31-10-2019 17:46
HarveyH55
★★★★☆
(1482)
Jesus! Don't they know how to drive on snow in Iowa? I guess Oregon was a lot different, winters were worse, but the roads were wet from the constant rain most of the year. We really only got 3-4 months of reasonable dry weather in the summer/fall. That's why I stick to the back roads down here, let the tourist, and careless drivers have the main roads. Usually quicker anyway, little traffic, fewer lights and stop signs, speed limit not strictly enforced.

That's not really a lot of snow, guess people haven't gotten into winter mode yet. put on the snow tires and such. I didn't have the money for them fancy tires, so just made sure I had some tread, and learn to keep in in control. Didn't have people playing with cell phone then either.

Heard on the radio, that Orlando should break a 100 year old record high today, but we expect a cold front in a few days, might drop down into the high 70s, for a day... Sorry, but I had my winter fun growing up, and don't miss it a bit.
01-11-2019 04:50
GasGuzzler
★★★★☆
(1474)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Jesus! Don't they know how to drive on snow in Iowa?


80% percent of us can drive on snow just fine. It's the other 20% that....

Just bought a 4 wheel drive and think they are invincible.

Forgot they had to be pulled out of a ditch last year.

Believe anti lock brakes will save them from the bumper 20 ft in front of them.

Feel the need to take a photo of the bad roads while driving to warn their friends on Snapchat.

Just got their license after summer time drivers ed.

Set the cruise control to maintain proper winter driving speed.

Think being on time to work is more important than someones life.

...on and on and on.


spot-
Into the Night is also has delusions of comptance
01-11-2019 05:38
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(9872)
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Jesus! Don't they know how to drive on snow in Iowa?


80% percent of us can drive on snow just fine. It's the other 20% that....

Just bought a 4 wheel drive and think they are invincible.

Forgot they had to be pulled out of a ditch last year.

Believe anti lock brakes will save them from the bumper 20 ft in front of them.

Feel the need to take a photo of the bad roads while driving to warn their friends on Snapchat.

Just got their license after summer time drivers ed.

Set the cruise control to maintain proper winter driving speed.

Think being on time to work is more important than someones life.

...on and on and on.


Sounds like some of the twits here. We also have those folks that abandon their cars in the middle of the freeway at the sight of single snowflake.


The Parrot Killer
12-11-2019 05:08
GasGuzzler
★★★★☆
(1474)
Another 5 inches of snow to greet me out the door this morning. Record lows for tonight are around 5 F. Forecast lows well below zero, -3 F where I'm at. Records for cold should be smashed all over the Midwest tonight. Yes, it still sucks. But, I have no doubt when we have a 50 degree Christmas this will be long forgotten and they will be singing God Rest Ye Warmer Gentlemen.
Edited on 12-11-2019 05:09
12-11-2019 06:07
James___
★★★★☆
(1711)
It's snowing right now in Kentucky. Wish it'd be enough to go skiing.

Someone that I'm acquainted with who lives in Austin, Texas said it was 36° F. when they went to work and 36° F. when they were headed home.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tSQUGG2mF2VgYfFLA
Edited on 12-11-2019 06:11
12-11-2019 17:18
HarveyH55
★★★★☆
(1482)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Another 5 inches of snow to greet me out the door this morning. Record lows for tonight are around 5 F. Forecast lows well below zero, -3 F where I'm at. Records for cold should be smashed all over the Midwest tonight. Yes, it still sucks. But, I have no doubt when we have a 50 degree Christmas this will be long forgotten and they will be singing God Rest Ye Warmer Gentlemen.


And Global Warming is such a bad thing... In your case, I don't imagine 1 C warmer really matters all that much. Or official cold season still hasn't started, didn't make to 50 or less yet. Did get down in the 60s last night though. Haven't been watching much TV, the cooler weather is the best time to do home repairs, get heavy work done outside. Going to mow the lawn one last time this year. Few tall weeds in the front yard, grass is a little tall, but not so bad I'd normally mow. The backyard needs though, tall enough for the cat to hid in some places. Neighbors just moved out, so it great timing, get to trim some of those tree limbs hanging over the fence, before new renters move in.




Join the debate Where's the Snow?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Snow: predicted decline globally, increase locally16718-05-2019 21:23
Amy Kloubuchar uses snow to prove there is climate change. Now that's top level Marxism.613-02-2019 23:05
Stream of thought poem re: London snow storms/Garbage Island002-02-2019 13:41
The USA has snow in all 50 states1506-02-2018 04:37
John Christy on Snow Cover013-11-2013 16:38
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2019 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact