Remember me
▼ Content

WHEN IS OPEN SOURCE AI NOT OPEN SOURCE AI?

Page 1 of 212>
WHEN IS OPEN SOURCE AI NOT OPEN SOURCE AI?22-07-2023 07:19
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
link

No comments by: Jenny List
July 21, 2023

The world of AI is abuzz, or at least parts of it are, at the news of Meta's release of Llama 2. This is an AI text model which is thought to surpass ChatGPT in capabilities, and which the social media turned VR turned own all your things company wants you to know is open to all. That's right, the code is open source and you can download the model, and Meta want you to feel warm and fuzzy about it. Unfortunately all is not as it seems, because of course the model isn't open-source and is subject to a licensing restriction which makes it definitely not free of charge for larger users. This is of course disappointing to anyone hoping for an AI chatbot without restrictions, but we're guessing Meta would prefer not to inadvertently enable a competitor.

Happily for the open source user large or small who isn't afraid of a little work there's an alternative in the form of OpenLLaMA, but we understand that won't be for all users. Whichever LLM you use though, please don't make the mistake of imagining that it possesses actual intelligence.

Just gave Joe Biden the 'finger'... Meta has to comply with whatever 'deal' made with Biden, but they just gave the tools to the public, who can do what they want with it, privately. I'm sure Meta sees profit in it some where, but relieves them of a lot of governmental BS. The source code isn't an actual product most people can use, lot of tech stuff needs done, before it's complied and ready to use. Fortunately, the open-source community has plenty of people willing to go through it, and make an executable version available for the rest of us.
22-07-2023 13:59
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

The world of AI is abuzz, or at least parts of it are, at the news of Meta's release of Llama 2. This is an AI text model which is thought to surpass ChatGPT in capabilities, and which the social media turned VR turned own all your things company wants you to know is open to all. That's right, the code is open source and you can download the model, and Meta want you to feel warm and fuzzy about it. Unfortunately all is not as it seems, because of course the model isn't open-source and is subject to a licensing restriction which makes it definitely not free of charge for larger users. This is of course disappointing to anyone hoping for an AI chatbot without restrictions, but we're guessing Meta would prefer not to inadvertently enable a competitor.

Happily for the open source user large or small who isn't afraid of a little work there's an alternative in the form of OpenLLaMA, but we understand that won't be for all users. Whichever LLM you use though, please don't make the mistake of imagining that it possesses actual intelligence.

Just gave Joe Biden the 'finger'... Meta has to comply with whatever 'deal' made with Biden, but they just gave the tools to the public, who can do what they want with it, privately. I'm sure Meta sees profit in it some where, but relieves them of a lot of governmental BS. The source code isn't an actual product most people can use, lot of tech stuff needs done, before it's complied and ready to use. Fortunately, the open-source community has plenty of people willing to go through it, and make an executable version available for the rest of us.

Open source was invented to make stuck classified issues available to the general public for solving. No one using the stuff has a clue what they are working on however

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
22-07-2023 15:05
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

Open source was invented to make stuck classified issues available to the general public for solving. No one using the stuff has a clue what they are working on however

You are clueless, as always... I've used open-source for a lot of years. Mostly electronics projects, which includes programs and tools for microcontrollers. Open-source is mainly projects people are working on, want to share, maybe get some help make it better. Sometimes, one person's idea branches off in other directions. It's just about developing ideas, not commercial products. A lot of these products do become commercial products, since not everyone has the time, or tools to build them.
22-07-2023 18:06
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

You are clueless, as always... I've used open-source for a lot of years. Mostly electronics projects, which includes programs and tools for microcontrollers. Open-source is mainly projects people are working on, want to share, maybe get some help make it better. Sometimes, one person's idea branches off in other directions. It's just about developing ideas, not commercial products. A lot of these products do become commercial products, since not everyone has the time, or tools to build them.

So I installed Ubuntu on my pc on a spare drive. Worked fine until I tried to find the driver for my new HP printer. Went to the Ubuntu help board and they said that I was out of luck and to buy a supported printer. Then I reminded them that HP was a premier printer manufacturer and that without HP support that they would lose market share. Then they banned me and I determined that windows was both easier and cheaper if my time had value which it does. That said my son's top secret Navy cryptology stuff is mostly in Linux, as far as I know anyway.

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

23-07-2023 00:03
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21612)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

What a moron.

You are actually trying to argue that Linux Torvald has no clue how his own kernel works?????!??
You are actually trying to argue that the people that created openSSL have no idea how it works?????!?
You are actually trying to argue that CERN had no idea what how the Apache web server they created actually works????!?
You are actually trying to argue that Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie have no idea how the C compiler that they invented actually works?????!?

Gawd...you're a moron!

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
23-07-2023 00:05
(21612)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

Indeed...you are using open source to even access this forum.

Sounds like you like gEDA.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
23-07-2023 00:13
(21612)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

So I installed Ubuntu on my pc on a spare drive. Worked fine until I tried to find the driver for my new HP printer. Went to the Ubuntu help board and they said that I was out of luck and to buy a supported printer. Then I reminded them that HP was a premier printer manufacturer and that without HP support that they would lose market share. Then they banned me and I determined that windows was both easier and cheaper if my time had value which it does. That said my son's top secret Navy cryptology stuff is mostly in Linux, as far as I know anyway.

You write fiction faster than an Irishman.

HP does not manufacture printers. They manufacture printer engines. Other companies write the software to turn them into printers.

Some HP printers are supported, others are boat anchors.

A 'premier' printer manufacturer? No, their printer engines are not really the best on the market at all. They've consistently had trouble with mispick and double pick, paper jams, and poor toner capacity.

You didn't buy Ubuntu, so there is no 'market share'.

Ubuntu doesn't ban anyone.

Obviously, you just want to dump on Linux because you are a Windows user. Enjoy your slow machine and constant updates in the middle of what you are doing!

Oh...and Microsoft is looking into forcing you to RENT the use of Windows rather than buying it!

The Parrot Killer

23-07-2023 00:54
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

What about operating system do you understand? Peripherals made for Apple computers, aren't instantly, or ever support on Windows. Apple doesn't support anything that was built by a company that refuses to buy a license. Linux support is usually slow, but if somebody thinks it's worth the time, will write a driver for most anything. You obviously didn't shop well, and check compatibility. HP will probably release a Linux driver eventually... There is a market, and potential sales. Surprised you made such a rookie mistake, considering how you invented hot-swap-able hard drives...
23-07-2023 01:10
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

What a moron.

You are actually trying to argue that Linux Torvald has no clue how his own kernel works?????!??
You are actually trying to argue that the people that created openSSL have no idea how it works?????!?
You are actually trying to argue that CERN had no idea what how the Apache web server they created actually works????!?
You are actually trying to argue that Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie have no idea how the C compiler that they invented actually works?????!?

Gawd...you're a moron!

Open source is free krap. See if someone wants to give you a ton of free gold with your free OS.

ULTRA MAGA

23-07-2023 01:58
(5197)
Money isn't everything... Open-source is great, you don't have to install a bunch of crap you don't want, or need.

For the electronics projects, I seldom build the entire project, as posted. I'll use the portions relevent to what I want it to do. The firmware is great, because I haven't really learned 'C', but do alright modifying existing code. Never really got into 'structured' programming. But, I learn every time, and remember, gets easier.

You only have the capacity to use, with no comprehension of how or why it works. You buy the 'magic box', plug it in, try to follow a Chinglish instruction manual. Can't get it to work? You throw it in the trash, cry like a little girl for a while, and buy something else, hoping for a better outcome.
23-07-2023 03:12
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Money isn't everything... Open-source is great, you don't have to install a bunch of crap you don't want, or need.

For the electronics projects, I seldom build the entire project, as posted. I'll use the portions relevent to what I want it to do. The firmware is great, because I haven't really learned 'C', but do alright modifying existing code. Never really got into 'structured' programming. But, I learn every time, and remember, gets easier.

You only have the capacity to use, with no comprehension of how or why it works. You buy the 'magic box', plug it in, try to follow a Chinglish instruction manual. Can't get it to work? You throw it in the trash, cry like a little girl for a while, and buy something else, hoping for a better outcome.

I screwed around with linux and learned only that my time is wasted while screwing around with linux, because all I did with my time while using linux was screw around trying to get linux to work properly. Paying for win is way cheaper than not paying for linux, just a fact as my time has value. All linux accomplishes is making fools feel smart for not using win. That said the government uses linux now for top secret applications because MS is the government division in charge of spying. Used to be the CIA, but not no more

ULTRA MAGA

23-07-2023 13:33
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I screwed around with linux and learned only that my time is wasted while screwing around with linux, because all I did with my time while using linux was screw around trying to get linux to work properly. Paying for win is way cheaper than not paying for linux, just a fact as my time has value. All linux accomplishes is making fools feel smart for not using win. That said the government uses linux now for top secret applications because MS is the government division in charge of spying. Used to be the CIA, but not no more

So no one will even argue that the agency in charge of spying for the USA is now MS who replaced the CIA.

Stay tuned for the geographical location of area 54.5.

BINGO

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 23-07-2023 13:38
23-07-2023 15:22
(5197)
Both Windows and IOS take a lot of resources, just to spy on you. Always have, and that's the appeal of Linux. You aren't providing user data, sold to anyone with a checkbook, and you are freeing up resources on your computer. Applications run faster, you internet access is faster. You struggle with technical stuff, because you lack the intelligence, and education. Linux let's you install just what you want and need. Windows and IOS is bloatware. They make everyone install everything any users could possibly need, the whole package. A whole lot of crap, you will never use. Your difficulty comes from not knowing what you want or need, other than someone else doing the work for you. You aren't even smart enough to get assistance online, or understand the idiot-guides that walk you through the installation.

To clarify... Linux is not a replacement for Windows or IOS, is an alternative. Some Windows and IOS applications can be made to work with Linux, many do not. There are Linux versions of most things, that work similarly though. You struggled to learn Windows, and any application. You are scared you might have to learn new things, just so hard for you. The pain meds probably prevent you from focusing...
23-07-2023 15:44
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Both Windows and IOS take a lot of resources, just to spy on you. Always have, and that's the appeal of Linux. You aren't providing user data, sold to anyone with a checkbook, and you are freeing up resources on your computer. Applications run faster, you internet access is faster. You struggle with technical stuff, because you lack the intelligence, and education. Linux let's you install just what you want and need. Windows and IOS is bloatware. They make everyone install everything any users could possibly need, the whole package. A whole lot of crap, you will never use. Your difficulty comes from not knowing what you want or need, other than someone else doing the work for you. You aren't even smart enough to get assistance online, or understand the idiot-guides that walk you through the installation.

To clarify... Linux is not a replacement for Windows or IOS, is an alternative. Some Windows and IOS applications can be made to work with Linux, many do not. There are Linux versions of most things, that work similarly though. You struggled to learn Windows, and any application. You are scared you might have to learn new things, just so hard for you. The pain meds probably prevent you from focusing...

My printer, a state of the art HP for the time did not run on linux, the Ubuntu group told me this then banned me and told me to fart off. So if I really wanted my computer to run this printer it was up to me to write the driver myself. Sounds intriguing for the 0.02% of the population that can do this, but in reality it would have been a total waste of my time as by the time I succeeded the printer would be replaced. See simpletons like you do not factor in your own time wasted playing with anything open source. Then when you do succeed if you do you are not allowed to sell what you just created, all you can do is give it away to the enemy.

LOL you think that open source is safe, because the software was written in Russia or China then uploaded from a server in Iowa to your computer.

Conclusion, you are a dumbass

Keys please

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 23-07-2023 15:57
23-07-2023 16:58
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

My printer, a state of the art HP for the time did not run on linux, the Ubuntu group told me this then banned me and told me to fart off. So if I really wanted my computer to run this printer it was up to me to write the driver myself. Sounds intriguing for the 0.02% of the population that can do this, but in reality it would have been a total waste of my time as by the time I succeeded the printer would be replaced. See simpletons like you do not factor in your own time wasted playing with anything open source. Then when you do succeed if you do you are not allowed to sell what you just created, all you can do is give it away to the enemy.

LOL you think that open source is safe, because the software was written in Russia or China then uploaded from a server in Iowa to your computer.

Keys please

It was your responsibility to check compatibility before you bought it. You're stupid, and fukked up, own it. Don't you got banned for being stupid, just the stupid, jerk-off comments you leave, when nobody pays attention to you. Probably couldn't comprehend the suggestions given, and demanded others do all the work for you, using childish insults, of course. Drivers aren't necessarily written from scratch. There are tools to do much of the work for you. But, you really don't understand Linux. The concept is to just install what you want, and need. Each installation is specific for your computer, and peripherals. You avoid carrying the bloat, of compatibility with hundreds of possibilities, that don't apply. There are dozens of other Linux user forums, not just the official site. Crying only works for babies... Adults who cry, because they don't get what they want, are laughed at.
23-07-2023 18:27
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Keys please

It was your responsibility to check compatibility before you bought it. You're stupid, and fukked up, own it. Don't you got banned for being stupid, just the stupid, jerk-off comments you leave, when nobody pays attention to you. Probably couldn't comprehend the suggestions given, and demanded others do all the work for you, using childish insults, of course. Drivers aren't necessarily written from scratch. There are tools to do much of the work for you. But, you really don't understand Linux. The concept is to just install what you want, and need. Each installation is specific for your computer, and peripherals. You avoid carrying the bloat, of compatibility with hundreds of possibilities, that don't apply. There are dozens of other Linux user forums, not just the official site. Crying only works for babies... Adults who cry, because they don't get what they want, are laughed at.

You are clueless, I bought the printer for win and it worked fine, then I played with Ubuntu on a spare drive and when I could not get it to work, I asked Ubuntu for help. Since they had to admit on their own board that HP printers were not supported, I embarrassed them as badly as you are being embarrassed now. So at this point I had a choice, throw away my state of the art 300 dollar printer and search ebay for a ten year old, 40 dollar out of ink printer that Ubuntu would support, or format ebunto into oblivion and pop my win drive back in and continue printing. The really sad thing is that unlike you with your university degree, Bill Gates is a certified drop out.

Yawn.

ULTRA MAGA

24-07-2023 01:47
(5197)
So, basically, you have only one computer, and know very little about how to use it... I've actually got three. One is what I use for the internet, and general computing. One is dedicated to 3d printing. Even a small simple print takes an hour. 5-6 hours pretty average. Long time to go, without messing with computer, and needing to check the print occasionally. Not worth risking screwing up the print in progress, little chance of recovery. Keeps all my modeling and slicing programs in on place as well. The third is for electronics, which is used to program chips, and a few other things.

$300 HP laserjet is low-end, cheapest they sell...
24-07-2023 02:24
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
HarveyH55 wrote:
So, basically, you have only one computer, and know very little about how to use it... I've actually got three. One is what I use for the internet, and general computing. One is dedicated to 3d printing. Even a small simple print takes an hour. 5-6 hours pretty average. Long time to go, without messing with computer, and needing to check the print occasionally. Not worth risking screwing up the print in progress, little chance of recovery. Keeps all my modeling and slicing programs in on place as well. The third is for electronics, which is used to program chips, and a few other things.

300 bucks was a lot more 15 or so years ago when this happened. There are four computers here as well kid, this one I pretty much rebuilt, first I ripped out the water fan, then changed the hard drive, power supply, installed a video card that would allow the three 32 inch monitors on my desk and the 55 inch monitor hanging on the wall, something like this.

Can't upgrade to the new windows because this is a dinosaur with only 12 cores 6 logical and 6 virtual. Gunna have my son who does Navy radio cryptology build me a new one soon though as I might go to a seven screen wall. So did you ever 3d print a crack pipe, or do you just stick with dildoes?

Silly

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 24-07-2023 02:33
24-07-2023 09:45
(21612)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

What about operating system do you understand? Peripherals made for Apple computers, aren't instantly, or ever support on Windows. Apple doesn't support anything that was built by a company that refuses to buy a license. Linux support is usually slow, but if somebody thinks it's worth the time, will write a driver for most anything. You obviously didn't shop well, and check compatibility. HP will probably release a Linux driver eventually... There is a market, and potential sales. Surprised you made such a rookie mistake, considering how you invented hot-swap-able hard drives...

Linux supports more hardware than any other operating system.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 09:47
(21612)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

What a moron.

Gawd...you're a moron!

Open source is free krap. See if someone wants to give you a ton of free gold with your free OS.

Linux is free. Gold is not.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 09:52
(21612)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Exactly. Any updates to libraries and commands that you want are available as you want them as well. You can choose to update any or all of them. You don't get THAT with Windows or Mac! They force updates upon you, whether you want them or not.
HarveyH55 wrote:

It takes time to learn C. Keep at it. You'll get there!
HarveyH55 wrote:

Bingo. That's exactly what Swan is. System operators tend to refer to people like him as an L user.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 09:54
(21612)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You'll never get Windows to run properly. With Linux you can.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 10:15
(21612)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

My printer, a state of the art HP for the time did not run on linux,

Your fault. Get a printer that does. Over 140 HP printers work just fine with linux. Over 1300 printers total work just fine with linux.
Swan wrote:
the Ubuntu group told me this then banned me and told me to fart off.

They probably got tired of your whining. I might point out that Ubuntu is the least compatible linux distribution out there right now.
Swan wrote:
So if I really wanted my computer to run this printer it was up to me to write the driver myself.

The driver may already exist. Linux does talk to over 1300 different model printers.
Or, you may have one of the few boat anchors out there.
Swan wrote:
Sounds intriguing for the 0.02% of the population that can do this, but in reality it would have been a total waste of my time as by the time I succeeded the printer would be replaced.

Printers aren't that expensive. It's really pretty easy to find out of a printer model you are considering is compatible with Linux. It probably is.
Swan wrote:
See simpletons like you do not factor in your own time wasted playing with anything open source.

Simpletons like do not factor in your own time wasted playing with Windows and trying to get it to cooperate.
Swan wrote:
Then when you do succeed if you do you are not allowed to sell what you just created, all you can do is give it away to the enemy.

You do not have to give any software you write away when using Linux. I don't. I don't any company that does.
Swan wrote:
LOL you think that open source is safe,

It is.
Swan wrote:
because the software was written in Russia or China then uploaded from a server in Iowa to your computer.

Nope. Russian writes almost no software. China writes none for Linux.
Most software on Linux is written on the east coast of the States, especially around Boston.
Other notable contributors are from the midwest, and a few packages that come from Germany or Japan. YOU choose which packages you want to load (or not).

Harvey is right. You can load almost nothing but the kernel (which was originally written in California and many contributors now from across the States, and now has contributors from a few other nations such as Japan or Germany).

YOU choose which parts of the kernel you want to run. YOU choose what commands and libraries you want to use.

Swan wrote:

Keys please

Nope. You don't get my keys. You're a dumbass Luser.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 10:23
(21612)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Keys please

Printer drivers in linux (typically those for cups or Gutenberg) aren't even software. They are more configuration files than anything else.

Every printer uses a different telegraph code. Some popular ones are HPGL (used for a lot of HP inkjet and laser printers as well as many of its plotters), ANSI (often used with Brother printers and Canon printers), ASCII (most often used with older printers such as teletypes, chainsaw, tube, and dot matrix printers), and Postscript (most often used with higher resolution printers). Linux has these four drivers and thousands more for the wackier stuff.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 10:25
(21612)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Keys please

You are clueless, I bought the printer for win and it worked fine, then I played with Ubuntu on a spare drive and when I could not get it to work, I asked Ubuntu for help. Since they had to admit on their own board that HP printers were not supported, I embarrassed them as badly as you are being embarrassed now. So at this point I had a choice, throw away my state of the art 300 dollar printer and search ebay for a ten year old, 40 dollar out of ink printer that Ubuntu would support, or format ebunto into oblivion and pop my win drive back in and continue printing. The really sad thing is that unlike you with your university degree, Bill Gates is a certified drop out.

Yawn.

Linux works with printers designed and built today.
Ubuntu is a horrible distribution of linux. It even could be argued it's not linux anymore.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 10:33
(21612)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Linux can work with HPGL, and Laserjet II and III codes.

Guess his $300 laserjet is not speaking any of those codes. It's a particularly wacky one from HP. There probably is a driver for it though. Most likely in the Gutenberg project.

I have no problem with linux running my Brother laserjet or my 3d printer. I can hook into most any video card as well, including VGA, DVI-a, DVI-d, HDMI, or even SDI or composite.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 13:04
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

What a moron.

Gawd...you're a moron!

So linux is free, just like shit, covid 19, ebola, aids, malaria and hepatitis. Interesting, but I'll stick with the CIA version of win anyway. Enjoy your free shit

ULTRA MAGA

24-07-2023 13:16
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Guess his $300 laserjet is not speaking any of those codes. It's a particularly wacky one from HP. There probably is a driver for it though. Most likely in the Gutenberg project.

I have no problem with linux running my Brother laserjet or my 3d printer. I can hook into most any video card as well, including VGA, DVI-a, DVI-d, HDMI, or even SDI or composite.

Linux does not speak with any printer, another piece of software called a driver needs to be present to decode and translate, and no one from ubuntu considered HP important enough to write the driver, the company literally told me this firsthand and then told me to get a supported and obsolete printer. LOL, the fact is that it was way easier to hit ubuntu with partition magic. Again windows is the cheapest OS currently available, at least if you value your own time

ULTRA MAGA

24-07-2023 14:10
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

LOL there is literally nothing more retarded than a linux user running a windows emulator. Seriously, I mean at least people with downs syndrome have an excuse, so what is your excuse?

ULTRA MAGA

24-07-2023 14:37
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14438)
Swan wrote: That said the government uses linux now for top secret applications because MS is the government division in charge of spying.

The government has locked itself into MS Windows and MS Office applications, for everything from Top Secret to unclassified.
24-07-2023 15:04
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote: That said the government uses linux now for top secret applications because MS is the government division in charge of spying.

The government has locked itself into MS Windows and MS Office applications, for everything from Top Secret to unclassified.

Again my son is writing and debugging linux cryptography for the Navy now, because MS is the successor to the CIA as all of its products exist to spy on the Earth, and as such with a hole the government could use the win spy tools to spy on itself and find the locations of all the submerged storage bases in the USA that area 51 provides cover for.

ULTRA MAGA

24-07-2023 15:22
(14438)
Swan wrote:Again my son is writing and debugging linux cryptography for the Navy now,

1. I didn't say Linux doesn't exist
2. Cryptography is not written in operating system, Linux is not a language.
24-07-2023 16:50
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Again my son is writing and debugging linux cryptography for the Navy now,

Actually linux is source code typically developed as an open-source operating system.

Cryptography is the science of making your data unreadable to other people in a reliably reversible manner. Originally the tool of spies laboriously poring over code books and cipher charts, cryptography has become essential in the computing field because computers let us compile and move around large amounts of data -- and let bad guys read it with great ease.

First, let's set a couple of misconceptions straight. All operating systems support cryptographic operations; there's nothing magical about it. You can perform public key cryptography with nothing more than a deck of cards, a pencil, and paper: computers just make the whole process a lot less tedious. Secondly, propaganda to the contrary, terrorists don't use cryptography or the internet in planning their attacks: if Osama bin Laden's kamikazes had been emailing encrypted plans back and forth it's highly likely that the NSA would have noticed the unusual traffic and consequently wouldn't have been taken by surprise. This article isn't about enabling Shopper readers to go out and plan criminal atrocities. Rather, it's about sensible ways of securing your data, verifying that the people you send and receive email with are who they say they are, and ensuring that if your laptop is stolen the thief won't be able to read all your company's plans.

Cryptography is essential to all UNIX systems (including Linux) because they are, by design, multi-user computers. Data belonging to one user shouldn't be accessible to another. When you type your password into a Linux system to log in, you are using cryptography: passwords are stored in an encrypted format in the /etc/shadow file, so that ordinary users can't read each other's password. The login process encrypts your password when you type it, and compares it to the stored, encrypted copy. If they match, you're in.

ULTRA MAGA

24-07-2023 20:42
(14438)
Swan wrote: Actually linux is source code typically developed as an open-source operating system.

That's a convoluted way of saying "Yes, IBDaMann, you are completely correct. Linux is not a language."

Swan wrote: Cryptography is the science of making your data unreadable to other people in a reliably reversible manner.

You have the right idea, if not expressed very well. Cryptography is the confidentiality technique involving altering the message/payload in a manner that only the intended recpient(s) can reverse. Steganography is the confidentiality technique involving hiding the message/payload from everybody except the intended recipient(s). Physical security is the confidentiality technique involving rendering the message/payload inaccessible to everybody except the intended recipient(s).

Swan wrote: You can perform public key cryptography with nothing more than a deck of cards, a pencil, and paper: computers just make the whole process a lot less tedious.

I'm calling your bluff. I don't think you understand public key encryption. At the moment, I don't believe a public key infrastructure can be constructed using a deck of cards.

Swan wrote: Secondly, propaganda to the contrary, terrorists don't use cryptography or the internet in planning their attacks

Sure they do. One of their preferred methods is to bury encrypted messages within kiddie porn, knowing that most people will avoid it, and most government employees will be summarily fired just for trying to analyze it, i.e. "Oh sure, of course you were only conducting an analysis, right, we believe you."

Swan wrote:: if Osama bin Laden's kamikazes had been emailing encrypted plans back and forth it's highly likely that the NSA would have noticed the unusual traffic and consequently wouldn't have been taken by surprise.

The NSA might have missed all of the message traffic because they weren't looking at kiddie porn.
24-07-2023 23:08
(21612)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

July 21, 2023

What a moron.

Gawd...you're a moron!

So linux is free, just like shit, covid 19, ebola, aids, malaria and hepatitis. Interesting, but I'll stick with the CIA version of win anyway. Enjoy your free shit

Linux is under the GPL-2 license. Shit, covid19, ebola, aids, malaria and hepatitus are not under any license.

Yes, I enjoy free Linux. I can get access to all the source code and fix bugs myself if I want to, contributing back to the project for that app.
You can't do THAT with Windows! You have to wait for some schmuck at Microsoft to get around to fixing any bugs, if they fix them at all!

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 23:13
(21612)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Linux does not speak with any printer,

Linux speaks with over 1300 different printers, including many printers from HP.
Swan wrote:
another piece of software called a driver

Not a piece of software.
Swan wrote:
needs to be present to decode and translate,

Nothing to 'decode'.
Swan wrote:
and no one from ubuntu considered HP important enough to write the driver,

Ubuntu does not write drivers. Illiteracy: proper nouns are capitalized.
Swan wrote:
the company literally told me this firsthand

Ubuntu does not write drivers.
Swan wrote:
and then told me to get a supported and obsolete printer.

Modern printers work just fine with linux.
Swan wrote:
LOL, the fact is that it was way easier to hit ubuntu with partition magic. Again windows is the cheapest OS currently available, at least if you value your own time

I do value my time. That's why I don't bother with Windows. It slow, it's expensive, and it can't do what I need to do with a computer.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 23:15
(21612)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

LOL there is literally nothing more retarded than a linux user running a windows emulator. Seriously, I mean at least people with downs syndrome have an excuse, so what is your excuse?
I don't run a Windows emulator.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 23:16
(21612)
IBdaMann wrote:

Basically true. One notable exception is more of their websites is running Linux now. Windows was just too easy to break into.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 23:18
(21612)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Again my son is writing and debugging linux cryptography for the Navy now, because MS is the successor to the CIA as all of its products exist to spy on the Earth, and as such with a hole the government could use the win spy tools to spy on itself and find the locations of all the submerged storage bases in the USA that area 51 provides cover for.
Linux is not a cryptography system.
Microsoft is not a successor to the CIA.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2023 23:34
(21612)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Actually linux is source code typically developed as an open-source operating system.

Linux is not source code.
Swan wrote:
Cryptography is the science of making your data unreadable to other people in a reliably reversible manner.

Not a science. Engineering.
Swan wrote:
Originally the tool of spies laboriously poring over code books and cipher charts,

They didn't and they don't.
Swan wrote:
cryptography has become essential in the computing field because computers let us compile and move around large amounts of data -- and let bad guys read it with great ease.

Cryptography's purpose is to not let 'bad guys' read it at all.
Swan wrote:
First, let's set a couple of misconceptions straight. All operating systems support cryptographic operations; there's nothing magical about it.

So you want to contradict yourself. Gotit. You are now locked in another paradox.
Swan wrote:
You can perform public key cryptography with nothing more than a deck of cards, a pencil, and paper:

No, you can't.
Swan wrote:
computers just make the whole process a lot less tedious.

No. They make it possible.
Swan wrote:
Secondly, propaganda to the contrary, terrorists don't use cryptography or the internet in planning their attacks:

Yes they do.
Swan wrote:
if Osama bin Laden's kamikazes had been emailing encrypted plans back and forth it's highly likely that the NSA would have noticed the unusual traffic and consequently wouldn't have been taken by surprise.

It is not unusual traffic.
Swan wrote:
This article isn't about enabling Shopper readers to go out and plan criminal atrocities.

Why would they do that??
Swan wrote:
Rather, it's about sensible ways of securing your data, verifying that the people you send and receive email with are who they say they are,

Email is usually not encrypted. Nothing about email verifies anything, even if it IS encrypted (rare).
Swan wrote:
and ensuring that if your laptop is stolen the thief won't be able to read all your company's plans.

Don't put your company plans on your laptop. There is no reason to.
Swan wrote:
Cryptography is essential to all UNIX systems (including Linux) because they are, by design, multi-user computers.

You own the computer. You are the user. The only user.
That said, Linux is the only OS that has achieved fully uncontrolled timesharing. Windows cannot do that. It's still stuck in controlled timesharing.
[b]Swan wrote:
Data belonging to one user shouldn't be accessible to another.

You are the only user.
Swan wrote:
When you type your password into a Linux system to log in, you are using cryptography: passwords are stored in an encrypted format in the /etc/shadow file, so that ordinary users can't read each other's password. The login process encrypts your password when you type it, and compares it to the stored, encrypted copy. If they match, you're in.[/b]

No, you are not using cryptography. Obviously you have no idea how the shadow library or how the tty app works either. You just grabbed random shit off of Wikipedia to sound smart.

The Parrot Killer

Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate WHEN IS OPEN SOURCE AI NOT OPEN SOURCE AI?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Chatbots sometimes make things up. Is AI's hallucination problem fixable?503-08-2023 13:20
Amazon, Google, Meta, Microsoft and other tech firms agree to AI safeguards set by the White House021-07-2023 19:45
Ai was used to MURDER a child..............!012-07-2023 21:29
AI Robot Soldier Video1101-07-2023 03:34
Generative AI and area 514221-06-2023 19:18
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact