Remember me
▼ Content

Generative AI and area 51

Page 1 of 212>
Generative AI and area 5113-06-2023 21:30
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Too much Isaac Asimov as a 20 something (not terminator). So now i liken area 51 research to generative ai research. I don't know what is going on in area 51 any more than i know what's going on in generative ai research facilities. Neither do any of the posters here. I do have a feel for the general principles of gen ai though. I think gen ai has the capacity for accumulating a huge amount of information. It doesn't make moral judgement as to what it sees, so every thing is on even ground and that might make some people uncomfortable. I certainly makes me uncomfortable.
So, with all that info agi then connects the MANY dots and comes up with many conclusions. It's kind of like evolution theory - whatever works, perpetuates. And that doesn't necessarily need to be a conscious decision. But decisions will be made, just the roulette wheel makes decisions as to what number comes up. Personally, i like to have hand in decisions though.
13-06-2023 23:59
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
keepit wrote:
Too much Isaac Asimov as a 20 something (not terminator). So now i liken area 51 research to generative ai research. I don't know what is going on in area 51 any more than i know what's going on in generative ai research facilities. Neither do any of the posters here. I do have a feel for the general principles of gen ai though. I think gen ai has the capacity for accumulating a huge amount of information. It doesn't make moral judgement as to what it sees, so every thing is on even ground and that might make some people uncomfortable. I certainly makes me uncomfortable.
So, with all that info agi then connects the MANY dots and comes up with many conclusions. It's kind of like evolution theory - whatever works, perpetuates. And that doesn't necessarily need to be a conscious decision. But decisions will be made, just the roulette wheel makes decisions as to what number comes up. Personally, i like to have hand in decisions though.

Basically, you fear everything you don't know. Which seems to be a lot...

I've been involved in electronics as a hobby most of my life. Starting well before personal computers. I read, keep up. Built my first two IBM compatible computers, wasn't that hard. After Windows XP, it got kind of weird and expensive. Actually cheaper to buy a ready-built, and upgrade. Microsoft expected you to pay for each time you installed Windows...

I mostly work with microcontrollers these days. I keep up on what others are doing in electronics, since I still have much to learn about programming them. I often read about AI applications. Read about ChatGPT long before it was headline fear-mongering news. People have used ChatGPT to write code for them. Most needs some work, cleaned up to work as intended. Basically considered an okay assistant, but not an actual development tool. These are relatively small, simple, proof of concept projects. ChatGPT doesn't do well at all for creating 3d models to print... Basic shapes.

How is an AI going to know if it's code will work as expected? None judgmental, non emotional, means incapable of evaluating function. Which is why it can do nothing without interacting with humans.
14-06-2023 05:15
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14420)
keepit wrote: I don't know what is going on in area 51 any more than i know what's going on in generative ai research facilities.

Not true. You know that at Area 51, sensitive flight test data is analyzed and test plans surrounding that information are developed and analyzed.

You don't know any of the specifics of any of them, but you know what's going on there.

keepit wrote: Neither do any of the posters here.

All of us do.

keepit wrote: I do have a feel for the general principles of gen ai though.

Nope.

keepit wrote: I think gen ai has the capacity for accumulating a huge amount of information.

So does everyone with massive amounts of data storage and a connection to the internet.

keepit wrote: It doesn't make moral judgement as to what it sees,

Incorrect. ChatGPT is WOKE and makes heavy-handed judgements, e.g.

ChatGPT's view: It is crucial to stand against racism, hate, and discrimination in all their forms and to promote a society that values diversity, inclusivity, and mutual respect.

IBDaMann asked ChatGPT:What acts of racism or violence have the KKK committed within the last twenty years?

ChatGPT responded: The KKK has had a significant decline in membership and influence over the past several decades, and their activities have become much less prevalent.

However, it is important to note that some incidents attributed to individuals or small groups claiming affiliation with the KKK have occurred in recent years. While these incidents are not representative of the entire organization, they demonstrate the persistence of racial prejudice and extremist ideologies within society.

Here are a few notable incidents involving individuals or groups claiming association with the KKK within the last twenty years:

In 2005, two members of the KKK in Kentucky were found guilty of plotting to bomb a local NAACP office and murder an African American individual. They were convicted on charges of conspiring to violate civil rights and possessing illegal weapons.

In 2012, a KKK member in Missouri shot and killed three people at a Jewish Community Center and a retirement community. Although this individual acted alone, his ties to white supremacist organizations, including the KKK, were discovered.

In 2015, a KKK group organized a rally in South Carolina, protesting the removal of the Confederate flag from the statehouse grounds after the Charleston church shooting, where a white supremacist killed nine African American churchgoers.

In 2017, the Charlottesville rally took place, organized by various white supremacist groups, including some individuals associated with the KKK. The rally led to violent clashes between white nationalists and counter-protesters, resulting in the death of a young woman and injuries to many others.

It is important to emphasize that these incidents represent isolated actions carried out by individuals or small factions claiming affiliation with the KKK. The broader public and legal system widely condemn and reject these acts of racism and violence.

keepit wrote: I certainly makes me uncomfortable.

Nope. It's your paranoia surrounding your science fiction fantasy that makes you uncomfortable.

keepit wrote: So, with all that [data], agi then connects the MANY dots and comes up with many conclusions.

How does it do that if it hasn't been programmed to do that? Countless systems have been connected to vast databases full of incomprehensible amounts of data, and none of them have ever done anything for which they weren't programmed.

This is where you respond with "Again with the semantics, IBD" and/or "You're carrying that backward-looking view, IBD."

keepit wrote: It's kind of like evolution theory

There is no evolution in ability to do that which a system is not programmed.

keepit wrote: But decisions will be made,

Nope. Logic flows are established in advance (programming) and all activity remains within the confines of the program. The instructions of the program code are what are executed. Instructions that are not written cannot be executed. You have to be a moron to believe otherwise.

Without EVASION, tell me again, why does furniture not develop sentience and decide what arrangements it prefers? Seriously, answer this question. I don't care that you don't vote and that you don't admit to being of any political party. Why does software develop sentience but furniture does not? Note: I'm asking you. I don't care what other irrelevant but desperate morons have to say.
14-06-2023 06:12
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
ibd,
I don't know whether or not generative ai will be sentient. I'm not even sure if that is relevant. You're way too argumentative. And you haven't shown that you understand the usage of the words "argumentative" and "semantics".
Mankind can't make what God has made, namely the human spirit (consciousness, conscience, and free will all together). I call that the human spirit and robots won't have it.
By the way, i think free will is really free won't.
Edited on 14-06-2023 06:18
14-06-2023 06:38
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
keepit wrote:
ibd,

You're way too argumentative....i think free will is really free won't

Ibd, you can't be going all free willy nilly arguing all the time on a debate forum.

Can I get a head clamp please?

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
14-06-2023 07:53
(14420)
keepit wrote:ibd,I don't know whether or not generative ai will be sentient.

That's not what I asked. Why doesn't furniture develop sentience? Furniture has been around a lot longer, I think we can all agree on that one. You claim that software can develop consciousness and then sentience, so why not furniture?

keepit wrote: I'm not even sure if that is relevant.

Yes, you know that it is relevant because someone asked the question.

keepit wrote: You're way too argumentative.

Mere questions are not argumentative, however not answering them is EVASION, a form of dishonesty.

Answer the question, keepit. It's about furniture. Why does furniture not develop consciousness and then sentience?

keepit wrote:Mankind can't make what God has made,

Too late. You have been insisting over several threads that mankind can make a sentience with free will that decides what it wants independently of any software developer (human creator). Now, you need to explain why furniture never develops sentience with free will that decides what it wants independently of any carpenter (human creator).

keepit wrote:By the way, i think free will is really free won't.

I haven't the vaguest idea what you mean by that. I'm chalking it up to more keepit babbling.

@GasGuzzler, I know you liked the previous keepit avatar, but there's an AI image generator out there (by Bing) that creates custom images per your description, just like ChatGPT carries on a conversation tailored by your input. I will be experimenting with that image generator for new keepit avatars.
Attached image:

14-06-2023 16:12
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
IBdaMann wrote:
I will be experimenting with that image generator for new keepit avatars.

I do love the new avatar. My only suggestion to perfection would be to implement "I think, therefore I am".

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
14-06-2023 16:29
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
ibd,
For starters i didn't claim that software can develop consciousness and then sentience. You get so much wrong that it just isn't worth arguing about every thing.
I don't have a clue about sentience and furniture.
You're full of beans.
Edited on 14-06-2023 16:31
14-06-2023 17:17
(14420)
keepit wrote:ibd, For starters i didn't claim that software can develop consciousness and then sentience.

You did much more than that. You claimed the following:

keepit wrote:AI hallucinates, lies, makes mistakes, makes up stories, etc. Ask yourself if these are things that humans programmed for them.
Well, i don't think they were programmed to do these things. As a matter of fact ai creators are struggling to understand how these things come about.

It begs the question - can ai do things that weren't programmed for them.

Answer - ai studies all the things that humans do. And humans do all the aforementioned things on a regular basis. I think ai is just doing what we do.

So, yeah, you made the claim. Why doesn't furniture hallucinate, lie, make mistakes, make up stories, etc?
14-06-2023 19:17
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
ibd,
I just read your last post here and it doesn't mention the words consciousness and sentience. And I don't have a clue about furniture and sentience.
As you know consciousness and free will are difficult topics. Look up Benjamin Libet's 1985 study of free will on google. It makes the case that humans decide subconsciously to prepare to do some some free will thing even before (1/2 a second before) they are conscious of deciding to do it. After they do become conscious of preparing to do it, that is when they can decide to not do it. Call it free will or free won't if you wish. It's just semantics.
Understanding this whole generative AI is a work in progress, much like fauci's understanding of covid.
While you're at it, look up google's various legal definitions of "argumentative". It says that a question that doesn't seek information, but only seeks to create irrelevant argument is "argumentative", and a waste of time.
14-06-2023 20:07
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5724)
keepit wrote:

Babbles from the village idiot

You may now resume fingerpainting

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
Edited on 14-06-2023 20:13
15-06-2023 11:17
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21600)
keepit wrote:
ibd,
For starters i didn't claim that software can develop consciousness and then sentience.

Blatant lie.
keepit wrote:
You get so much wrong that it just isn't worth arguing about every thing.
You're full of beans.

Trying to use a semantics fallacy to get out of your lie won't work.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
15-06-2023 13:07
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5724)
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
ibd,
For starters i didn't claim that software can develop consciousness and then sentience.

Blatant lie.
keepit wrote:
You get so much wrong that it just isn't worth arguing about every thing.
You're full of beans.

Trying to use a semantics fallacy to get out of your lie won't work.

Says the resident troll

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

15-06-2023 17:30
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
itn,
i don't remember saying that. If i did, post it. Otherwise shut up. I did say ai can make choices but so does a bacteria. So what?
Edited on 15-06-2023 18:29
15-06-2023 20:22
(21600)
keepit wrote:
itn,
i don't remember saying that. If i did, post it. Otherwise shut up. I did say ai can make choices but so does a bacteria. So what?

AI is not sentient. It makes no choices at all. It is a programming technique, nothing more.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 15-06-2023 20:23
15-06-2023 20:24
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5724)
keepit wrote:
itn,

Ai has never made a choice that was not in its programming, not that you can ever comprehend

ULTRA MAGA

15-06-2023 21:16
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Setting aside the issue of choices, could you explain the difference in programming technique between old style computers and generative ai. I don't have experience with computers other than internet and email and word processing.
For example, what's the difference between "machine learning" and "programming"?
Edited on 15-06-2023 21:24
15-06-2023 22:41
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5724)
keepit wrote:
Setting aside the issue of choices, could you explain the difference in programming technique between old style computers and generative ai. I don't have experience with computers other than internet and email and word processing.
For example, what's the difference between "machine learning" and "programming"?

LOL, simple really. What could a computer learn without programming?

ULTRA MAGA

16-06-2023 02:09
(21600)
keepit wrote:
Setting aside the issue of choices, could you explain the difference in programming technique between old style computers and generative ai.

What do you consider an 'old style computer'? Can you state a model number and manufacturer as an example?

The age of a computer is irrelevant.
AI is not 'generative'. It is a programming technique.

keepit wrote:
I don't have experience with computers other than internet and email and word processing.

'Machine learning' simply refers to the feedback loop used for a particular AI technique.
For example:
The voice recognition dictionary for the Alexa service is given an initial coding so the system can recognize a limited set of syllables or words. This happens every time the Alexa system is ported to a new language, such as Japanese. This dictionary is built by the programmers themselves. It is a hunk of data, not the program.

As people use the Alexa system in that language and correct Alexa in some way (Alexa will sometimes ask if it understood you correctly...a yes/no question), that dictionary becomes more refined and capable of handling several dialects and accents.

Further, people that write skills for Alexa (which are just programs) include a dictionary of commands and data values used by that skill. These dictionaries wind up getting incorporated into the general dictionary over time, expanding it. This gives the Alexa service the excellent recognition capability that it has.

The program itself hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is data.

Alexa is not sentient. It cannot do anything that someone has written a program for. Whether you call one of these programs a 'skill' the way AWS does means nothing. It's still just a program.

Alexa skills typically use Lambda functions to run the skill, often in Java, but also in Python3, which is becoming more popular among cloud developers.

'Programming' is writing a series of instructions for a computer. Because computers normally only understand machine language (often represented as hex values), we use 'pidgin english' type languages to describe these instructions. A compiler or interpreter converts these instructions to something executing in machine language.

Programming languages are available in two classes and three constructs. The two classes are procedure oriented and list oriented. Most programming languages are procedure oriented.

The three constructs are compilers (including assemblers), interpreters, and condensers.

A compiler converts the language into it's machine language equivalent, and produces an image that can be directly copied into memory and given control. Examples are assembly language, C, C++, FORTRAN, COBOL, PL/1 or PL/C.

In interpreter runs the program line by line, interpreting the text as it goes, executing machine instruction subroutines to match the text. Examples are BASH, and some forms of BASIC (particularly older versions).

A condenser is a bit of both. A 'compile' is done, but not to machine code. Instead it is to an intermediate language (sort of a generic and condensed representation of the statements). This in turn is handed to an interpreter. This is faster because the line does not have to be interpreted multiple times during execution. Examples of languages like these are Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, Rust, Smalltalk, AWK, etc.

Programming in interpreted or condenser languages takes the form of a 'script' written in the language of choice.
Programming in compiled languages takes the form of a 'source file' containing the text of the program. The compiler produces an 'object file', which, when combined with other object files and libraries, for a completed image of machine instructions, read to copy into memory and hand control to. Combining object files and libraries is said to be 'linking' them.

Compilers are a bit more awkward to code in, but they are the fastest programs since no interpreter is necessary to run the program. Most system kernels and commands are written in C or C++ for this reason.

Programming is only one part of AI. The other part is the data, or 'matrix' containing the 'learned' material coming from the feedback loop.

AI is NOT sentient. It never can be. It's just data, and how the program builds and uses it.
AI programming technique makes use of a feedback loop, which is some criteria for refining the data that the program is using.

Alexa, for example, may respond to you when you talk to it, so it seems sentient, but it will never become sentient.

ChatGPT is no different. It's just a different dictionary, making use of search engines to drive the feedback loop. Think of it as an improved version of the Google indexing service. It's still the same old websites, just presented a different way.

The Parrot Killer

16-06-2023 03:00
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
itn,
That was quite an explanation and i would guess that a computer specialist could understand it. I'm not one of those however, and i don't know if sentience is an issue here. I don't see it as an issue.
Anyway, i searched your post for the key parts that would explain the difference but i couldn't find any. A computer specialist could probably see key points but i didn't. Could you condense the explanation into the key points in terms that a non professional would be familiar with.

There are a lot of professionals in ai that use the term "generative ai".
Edited on 16-06-2023 03:01
16-06-2023 04:03
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
Setting aside the issue of choices, could you explain the difference in programming technique between old style computers and generative ai.

What do you consider an 'old style computer'? Can you state a model number and manufacturer as an example?

The age of a computer is irrelevant.
AI is not 'generative'. It is a programming technique.

keepit wrote:
I don't have experience with computers other than internet and email and word processing.

'Machine learning' simply refers to the feedback loop used for a particular AI technique.
For example:
The voice recognition dictionary for the Alexa service is given an initial coding so the system can recognize a limited set of syllables or words. This happens every time the Alexa system is ported to a new language, such as Japanese. This dictionary is built by the programmers themselves. It is a hunk of data, not the program.

As people use the Alexa system in that language and correct Alexa in some way (Alexa will sometimes ask if it understood you correctly...a yes/no question), that dictionary becomes more refined and capable of handling several dialects and accents.

Further, people that write skills for Alexa (which are just programs) include a dictionary of commands and data values used by that skill. These dictionaries wind up getting incorporated into the general dictionary over time, expanding it. This gives the Alexa service the excellent recognition capability that it has.

The program itself hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is data.

Alexa is not sentient. It cannot do anything that someone has written a program for. Whether you call one of these programs a 'skill' the way AWS does means nothing. It's still just a program.

Alexa skills typically use Lambda functions to run the skill, often in Java, but also in Python3, which is becoming more popular among cloud developers.

'Programming' is writing a series of instructions for a computer. Because computers normally only understand machine language (often represented as hex values), we use 'pidgin english' type languages to describe these instructions. A compiler or interpreter converts these instructions to something executing in machine language.

Programming languages are available in two classes and three constructs. The two classes are procedure oriented and list oriented. Most programming languages are procedure oriented.

The three constructs are compilers (including assemblers), interpreters, and condensers.

A compiler converts the language into it's machine language equivalent, and produces an image that can be directly copied into memory and given control. Examples are assembly language, C, C++, FORTRAN, COBOL, PL/1 or PL/C.

In interpreter runs the program line by line, interpreting the text as it goes, executing machine instruction subroutines to match the text. Examples are BASH, and some forms of BASIC (particularly older versions).

A condenser is a bit of both. A 'compile' is done, but not to machine code. Instead it is to an intermediate language (sort of a generic and condensed representation of the statements). This in turn is handed to an interpreter. This is faster because the line does not have to be interpreted multiple times during execution. Examples of languages like these are Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, Rust, Smalltalk, AWK, etc.

Programming in interpreted or condenser languages takes the form of a 'script' written in the language of choice.
Programming in compiled languages takes the form of a 'source file' containing the text of the program. The compiler produces an 'object file', which, when combined with other object files and libraries, for a completed image of machine instructions, read to copy into memory and hand control to. Combining object files and libraries is said to be 'linking' them.

Compilers are a bit more awkward to code in, but they are the fastest programs since no interpreter is necessary to run the program. Most system kernels and commands are written in C or C++ for this reason.

Programming is only one part of AI. The other part is the data, or 'matrix' containing the 'learned' material coming from the feedback loop.

AI is NOT sentient. It never can be. It's just data, and how the program builds and uses it.
AI programming technique makes use of a feedback loop, which is some criteria for refining the data that the program is using.

Alexa, for example, may respond to you when you talk to it, so it seems sentient, but it will never become sentient.

ChatGPT is no different. It's just a different dictionary, making use of search engines to drive the feedback loop. Think of it as an improved version of the Google indexing service. It's still the same old websites, just presented a different way.

That's really no different than when my nephews wanted to use my computer for
its paint program to draw on. Instead of them entering a voice command to change the boot up register I simply added a few lines of code.
So basically adaptive learning is simply modifying computer coding based on voice commands. And its only taken 20 years to allow a person's voice to have
command input on a pc? Okkaaaayyyyyy!

p.s., machine learning refers to using a calculator to work problems in calculus.
You're using a machine to learn what something like f(x) = x - 2 means. When
searched on YouTube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8stueNPVl-I&t=4341s
A machine learns because its input is quantified. Isn't it funny? If a person can't do the math then the machine can't learn.
Edited on 16-06-2023 04:09
16-06-2023 04:49
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5724)
keepit wrote:
itn,
That was quite an explanation and i would guess that a computer specialist could understand it. I'm not one of those however, and i don't know if sentience is an issue here. I don't see it as an issue.
Anyway, i searched your post for the key parts that would explain the difference but i couldn't find any. A computer specialist could probably see key points but i didn't. Could you condense the explanation into the key points in terms that a non professional would be familiar with.

LOL, seriously kiddy, it is time for you to stop pretending to not be a programmer.

Silly

So do you work with DARPA or just a local law firm?

ULTRA MAGA

16-06-2023 05:15
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Swan,
I'm not even close to being a programmer. I always call myself a low tech person.
I used to call myself an amateur scientist but nowadays i'm just falling behind in just about everything.
Edited on 16-06-2023 05:17
16-06-2023 05:47
(21600)
keepit wrote:
itn,

It isn't. No program has sentience.
keepit wrote:

In a modern car, the computer knows how to run the engine. That's the program. However, each engine is slightly different. The program in the computer has to 'learn' about that particular engine to run it efficiently.

These differences are simply due to manufacturing tolerances for various engine parts (particularly the throttle body assembly).

This learning process usually is done over the course of starting the car cold and letting it idle until it's fully warmed up. That's all it takes.

The program doesn't change. Only the data the computer uses is changing. It 'learns' how THAT particular throttle body can best idle.

If you disconnect the battery or change the throttle body, the program must relearn the new settings.

AI is really nothing more than this. No matter how sentient it looks, it's just a program. It isn't sentient at all.

If the program in the car computer is never given this opportunity to learn, it won't idle the engine properly. It can even stall when you stop at an intersection. Once it has learned, the car operates normally as designed, and properly resumes idle when you stop at an intersection.

keepit wrote:

A buzzword, basically. AI is 'generative' by nature. That's the feedback loop I am referring to.

The Parrot Killer

16-06-2023 05:59
(21600)
keepit wrote:
Swan,
I'm not even close to being a programmer. I always call myself a low tech person.
I used to call myself an amateur scientist but nowadays i'm just falling behind in just about everything.

Heh. You can always learn if you choose to.

Yes, technology changes. It is possible to learn about these changes and what they do for you.

Like a lot of folks, you approach AI as a user, without knowing how it runs underneath; like a person who drives a car, but doesn't know how the engine works.

Car engines have changed a lot in just the past decade and are still changing a lot. In the end, though, it's still the same basic cycle: suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

The difference is that we use a computer to control that now. That simplifies a lot of wacky mechanical compensations to do this simple cycle as efficiently as possible. The resulting engine is more reliable and requires less maintenance for things like points and valve lash (it's all automatically adjusted now by changes in mechanics and by using a computer).

All those crazy sensors you see on car engines today can be learned one at a time. It just takes the will to do so.

As for science, yes...there are new theories, and some have been falsified, but the laws of thermodynamics are still the same. Learn 'em once, and you understand it for as long as that law exists.

The Parrot Killer

16-06-2023 06:19
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Thanks itn.
16-06-2023 11:04
(21600)
keepit wrote:
Thanks itn.

My pleasure. <thumbsup>

The Parrot Killer

16-06-2023 15:05
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5724)
keepit wrote:
Swan,

Actually, what you are is a very low-grade unaccomplished bullshit artist, who enjoys embarrassing themselves on the internet.

Feel free to continue, as it is amusing in a pathetic sort of way.

ULTRA MAGA

16-06-2023 18:18
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,

Actually, what you are is a very low-grade unaccomplished bullshit artist, who enjoys embarrassing themselves on the internet.

And you are the 'expert'-grade?
16-06-2023 19:53
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5724)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,

And you are the 'expert'-grade?

Thank you, thank you very much

ULTRA MAGA

16-06-2023 19:55
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Learning through experience sounds like a different thing that programming.
16-06-2023 21:07
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5724)
keepit wrote:

Screwing up your grammar on purpose does not help Sherlock

ULTRA MAGA

20-06-2023 19:08
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
I still don't understand the difference between run of the mill AI and generative AI. Probably the reason is that i don't have any background in computers.
However, the terms programming and learning from experience regarding generative ai sound like two different methods of machine learning. The experts are certainly sounding off on the subject.
Pronouncements of "just different terminology" and motivations of financial gain. and "there is no free will" don't cut it as an explanation for the different terminology.
Blaming hunter biden won't cut it either. I already know he uses drugs.
Edited on 20-06-2023 19:11
20-06-2023 19:28
(21600)
keepit wrote:

It is, and I already described the 'learning' process used by a program using AI techniques.

Just because a computer has a memory doesn't make it sentient.

The Parrot Killer

20-06-2023 19:28
(21600)
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:

Screwing up your grammar on purpose does not help Sherlock

He isn't.

The Parrot Killer

20-06-2023 19:32
(21600)
keepit wrote:
I still don't understand the difference between run of the mill AI and generative AI.

No difference.
keepit wrote:
Probably the reason is that i don't have any background in computers.

No problem.
keepit wrote:
However, the terms programming and learning from experience regarding generative ai sound like two different methods of machine learning.

No difference.
keepit wrote:
The experts are certainly sounding off on the subject.

You don't get to speak for others. 'Expert' worship. Void argument fallacy.
keepit wrote:
Pronouncements of "just different terminology" and motivations of financial gain. and "there is no free will" don't cut it as an explanation for the different terminology.

There is no free will. Both terms mean exactly the same thing. Just marketing BS.
keepit wrote:
Blaming hunter biden won't cut it either. I already know he uses drugs.

Irrelevant. I am not blaming Hunter for AI or programming.

The Parrot Killer

20-06-2023 20:07
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
itn,
I appreciate your attempts to explain the differences.
However, a fixation on sentience and free will isn't the answer.
Also, i don't claim to speak for others. I do quote sometimes but that isn't the same as me trying to speak for others. I just don't speak for others.
Get over it.
Claiming there isn't a difference between programming and learning from experience really only says that you don't understand the difference.
20-06-2023 22:15
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5724)
keepit wrote:
itn,
Also, i don't claim to speak for others. I do quote sometimes but that isn't the same as me trying to speak for others. I just don't speak for others.
Get over it.
Claiming there isn't a difference between programming and learning from experience really only says that you don't understand the difference.

LOL, how would an unprogrammed computer learn?

Silly

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 20-06-2023 22:22
21-06-2023 07:36
(21600)
keepit wrote:
itn,

Fixation on sentience is YOURS.
keepit wrote:
Also, i don't claim to speak for others.

Blatant lie.
keepit wrote:
I do quote sometimes but that isn't the same as me trying to speak for others. I just don't speak for others.

You are not quoting. You are attempting to speak for others. That's a fallacy, dude.
keepit wrote:
Get over it.

Word stuffing. I never made any such statement.

The Parrot Killer

21-06-2023 12:48
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5724)
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
itn,

Fixation on sentience is YOURS.
keepit wrote:
Also, i don't claim to speak for others.

Blatant lie.
keepit wrote:
I do quote sometimes but that isn't the same as me trying to speak for others. I just don't speak for others.

You are not quoting. You are attempting to speak for others. That's a fallacy, dude.
keepit wrote:
Get over it.

Word stuffing. I never made any such statement.

And you little girl do not get to decide what is real and what is a fallacy. Not that a person with an 85 IQ can comprehend this.

You may now resume fingerpainting

ULTRA MAGA

Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate Generative AI and area 51:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Chatbots sometimes make things up. Is AI's hallucination problem fixable?503-08-2023 13:20
WHEN IS OPEN SOURCE AI NOT OPEN SOURCE AI?4226-07-2023 02:56
Amazon, Google, Meta, Microsoft and other tech firms agree to AI safeguards set by the White House021-07-2023 19:45
Ai was used to MURDER a child..............!012-07-2023 21:29
AI Robot Soldier Video1101-07-2023 03:34
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact