Remember me
▼ Content

Russian Arctic town overrun by polar bears, climate change blamed

Russian Arctic town overrun by polar bears, climate change blamed27-02-2019 15:32
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/polar-bears-russia-novaya-zemlya-1.5014108
27-02-2019 15:52
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5192)
Doubt it's climate change, more likely the Russians are a little short on food, because of the Obama sanctions, and been over hunting/fishing to the point the polar bears are reduced to knocking over trash cans. Russians will probably kill them for food, just need to do it in away not to upset the international eco-terrorist, who would push for more sanctions...
27-02-2019 20:51
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21552)
It isn't. It's just bears going after discarded food. The dump is near town, so they continue on into town after being attracted to the dump site, where they find food in trash cans.

Towns in the U.S. have had the same problem with black bears from time to time. The solution is to improve handling landfill at the dump, secure the trash, and to aggressively drive bears out of town (gunfire into the air works pretty well to get 'em moving). Putting bait out in the wilderness where you want them to go helps somewhat too. You drive 'em toward the bait.

This is a temporary problem, and will end when the bears hibernate again.
27-02-2019 22:04
(5192)
I don't know if Florida black bears hibernate, maybe a quick nap. Your solutions don't work, the woods here, are too rapidly being converted to apartments, condos, and convenience stores. The bear-proof trashcans work, most of the time, but bears have plenty of time to work on them. Main solution here, is to wait until somebody's aggressive breed dog (noisy little ankle biting fur ball) gets mauled or kill, sometimes the owner too. Funny thing though, bear doesn't carry off the fuzzy little snack, or eat it. Seems more defensive, yet the bear is labeled aggressive, and shot. Florida has a state-wide leash law, if the owners didn't break the law, their dog wouldn't have provoked the bear, and both would have lived.
28-02-2019 00:46
(21552)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I don't know if Florida black bears hibernate, maybe a quick nap. Your solutions don't work, the woods here, are too rapidly being converted to apartments, condos, and convenience stores. The bear-proof trashcans work, most of the time, but bears have plenty of time to work on them. Main solution here, is to wait until somebody's aggressive breed dog (noisy little ankle biting fur ball) gets mauled or kill, sometimes the owner too. Funny thing though, bear doesn't carry off the fuzzy little snack, or eat it. Seems more defensive, yet the bear is labeled aggressive, and shot. Florida has a state-wide leash law, if the owners didn't break the law, their dog wouldn't have provoked the bear, and both would have lived.

Of course then there are the alligators, which eats little noisy ankle biting fur balls, whether the dog provokes it or not.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
28-02-2019 05:06
(5192)
Again, if people kept their pests on a leash, the wildlife would get much of a chance to snack on them. I prefer large breed dogs, least they can earn their keep, (well, not so much this last one). I've had to keep this black Lab on a leash, because he's a little slow, possibly inbred slow, just doesn't learn or retain, stubborn too. But even then, the gators down at the lake never bothered him. Most animals don't work any harder than they need to for a meal, and won't go after large prey, unless they need to. Now, if it's big, and just begging to be eating, who wouldn't pass on a free meal.
28-02-2019 19:16
(21552)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Again, if people kept their pests on a leash, the wildlife would get much of a chance to snack on them. I prefer large breed dogs, least they can earn their keep, (well, not so much this last one). I've had to keep this black Lab on a leash, because he's a little slow, possibly inbred slow, just doesn't learn or retain, stubborn too. But even then, the gators down at the lake never bothered him.
They probably didn't want to catch his stupidity. Gators are smarter than they look.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Most animals don't work any harder than they need to for a meal, and won't go after large prey, unless they need to. Now, if it's big, and just begging to be eating, who wouldn't pass on a free meal.

The nice thing about gators is that they are cold blooded and don't need to eat very often. If they are hungry, though, any pet nearby is lunch. Yeah, if a large bit of prey was just asking to be eaten, the gator wouldn't turn it down!

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate Russian Arctic town overrun by polar bears, climate change blamed:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Just spoke with Dmitri Vasilyev a Russian solar power salesman at my front door223-07-2023 20:22
FBI agent who led the Trump Russia probe arrested for ties to Russian oligarch, and money laundering224-01-2023 03:39
Pizzly Bears18523-01-2023 16:11
Polar bears909-09-2022 00:03
If You Want To Save Your Family, Your Town, City Please Make Donation & Talk1223-04-2022 22:04
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact