Remember me
▼ Content

Rush Limbaugh cited one of my discoveries on his show

Page 3 of 3<123
21-08-2023 03:33
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14448)
HarveyH55 wrote:But, wouldn't it be cool if bacteria could change lead into gold?

I see you've met my bacterium alchemist. He's pictured here with one of my gold molecules.
Attached image:

21-08-2023 04:16
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:But, wouldn't it be cool if bacteria could change lead into gold?

I see you've met my bacterium alchemist. He's pictured here with one of my gold molecules.

It's called bio heap leaching. Extracting gold deposits from ore.https://www.911metallurgist.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/BioHeapLeaching.pdf

I don't think the ores you get lead out of, are usually the same as the ores you get gold out of.

Although the ore called Galena has lead and silver deposits in it.

Edited on 21-08-2023 04:27
21-08-2023 14:56
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14448)
Spongy Iris wrote:I don't think the ores you get lead out of, are usually the same as the ores you get gold out of.

Gold is very valuable. Lead is not. An alchemist is a mage of legend (i.e. fictional) who could turn lead into gold. The idea of turning things into gold has always been a popular theme in stories, leading to classics such as Rumpelstiltskin and King Midas.

There are no alchemists, and there certainly aren't any bacteria alchemists, which is Harvey's original point, and the reason I made the meme ... well, that and the opportunity to put my gold molecule in Swan's face. It's fun messing with swan.

21-08-2023 20:11
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
But, where did the arsenic come into all this? Don't ever remember any reference to methane, other than rantings here. Don't figure it's very healthy for bacteria. Think arsenic was used as rat poison, probably to kill many other pests as well. Though, can't image anyone too concerned about rats in the landfill. Though, polar bears in the landfill could be a problem. Obviously not picky eaters. Just really sad to see those photo-ops, and blamed on all their ice has melted. Wouldn't think ice was nutritious.
RE: at the risk of repeating myself21-08-2023 23:28
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(597)
HarveyH55 wrote:
But, where did the arsenic come into all this? Don't ever remember any reference to methane, other than rantings here. Don't figure it's very healthy for bacteria. Think arsenic was used as rat poison, probably to kill many other pests as well. Though, can't image anyone too concerned about rats in the landfill. Though, polar bears in the landfill could be a problem. Obviously not picky eaters. Just really sad to see those photo-ops, and blamed on all their ice has melted. Wouldn't think ice was nutritious.

The arsenic was already there in the soil before anybody drilled a gas well.

It was harmless - bound up mainly as arsenate attached to the surface of iron, manganese, and aluminum (hydr)oxide clay minerals.

The methane was new to the system, and it changed the state of the arsenic.

The methane, leaking from the old gas well, never interacted directly with arsenic. Methane was used by bacteria which oxidized it to get energy. Unfortunately, the best available oxidants were attached to arsenic, as Fe(III) or Mn(IV), or were the arsenic itself, as arsenate or arsenic(V).

The bacteria released the arsenic into solution because methane was available in the absence of oxygen.

Introducing oxygen into the system would reverse the process to take the arsenic out of solution and put the arsenic back into the solid material where it cannot enter ground water.

This is straightforward biogeochemistry, but a person has to study at least a little bit to understand it.
22-08-2023 04:04
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Im a BM wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

The arsenic was already there in the soil before anybody drilled a gas well.

It was harmless - bound up mainly as arsenate attached to the surface of iron, manganese, and aluminum (hydr)oxide clay minerals.

The methane was new to the system, and it changed the state of the arsenic.

The methane, leaking from the old gas well, never interacted directly with arsenic. Methane was used by bacteria which oxidized it to get energy. Unfortunately, the best available oxidants were attached to arsenic, as Fe(III) or Mn(IV), or were the arsenic itself, as arsenate or arsenic(V).

The bacteria released the arsenic into solution because methane was available in the absence of oxygen.

Introducing oxygen into the system would reverse the process to take the arsenic out of solution and put the arsenic back into the solid material where it cannot enter ground water.

This is straightforward biogeochemistry, but a person has to study at least a little bit to understand it.

Arsenic is a very reactive metal though, and quickly find something else to bond with. The amount of arsenic never increases, it's just which compounds are formed. It'll still find it's way into water.
Page 3 of 3<123

Join the debate Rush Limbaugh cited one of my discoveries on his show:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
B-17 and Bell King Cobra collided at Dallas air show today. Story at 11013-11-2022 01:38
Thwarting the Warmizombies' Rush to Wikipedia6408-08-2021 05:10
The Recent Floods In Europe & Fire In Frozen America Show How Stupid Their Government Are118-07-2021 20:36
I The Messiah Will Help The Jewish Zionism Group Have Their Final Settlement If They Show Desire603-02-2021 21:24
Limbaugh Is Suggesting Secession1113-12-2020 21:06
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact