Remember me
▼ Content

Droughts Continue in the West

Droughts Continue in the West28-04-2021 04:36
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
If only everybody could live in Florida. But Florida doesn't produce enough produce to feed people. Lemons, oranges and limes aren't enough to live on.
I read where California might need to decrease its agricultural production by 1 million acres. That would allow other farms to survive. If that happens, then the cost of produce, some nuts and even wine could increase.

This year is expected to be the driest ever for the East Bay, district officials told KGO. Much of the water supply comes from the Sierra foothills, which has only seen about 50% of its average yearly precipitation, the station reported.

The board of water utility, East Bay MUD (municipal utility district), is expected to declare a stage 1 drought this week, which would ask for a 10% voluntary reduction of water use district wide.
Dry conditions are prevalent in other parts of the West as well.

Eight states from South Dakota to Arizona are currently under red-flag warnings for critical fire danger due to strong winds from 40 to 60 mph, relative humidity as low as 5% and bone-dry conditions.

Earlier this month, Colorado state officials also announced more preparations for an extended fire season due to less-than-normal snowfall during the winter.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/california-droughts-continue-worsen-fire-season-approaches/story?id=77319488
28-04-2021 17:59
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
James___ wrote:
If only everybody could live in Florida.

I know, right?! Ron DeSantis is such an amazing MAGA-aligned governor, standing up and fighting for freedom and liberty in his State. Good for him!

James___ wrote:
But Florida doesn't produce enough produce to feed people. Lemons, oranges and limes aren't enough to live on.

You're right! Florida can't feed everyone.

I suggest that we ban the consumption of red meat, and eventually all meat, to help alleviate the hunger crisis in America. Limiting what a human is allowed to eat via prohibitions will obviously help solve world hunger, and we all know that the prohibition of alcohol worked out sooooo well in the past.

I also suggest that we place all of our "food eggs" into one basket (plants and plant-based items) so that when we experience a season of very low crop yield, there will be plenty of food available for everyone.

I, thirdly, suggest that we all become vegans and become just as pale skinned and malnourished as THEY are. After all, unscientific and biased epidemiological studies which make adjustments to their findings after the fact, in a manner akin to attempting the removal of eggs from cake batter, show that vegan diets are much healthier than meat based diets.

James___ wrote:
I read where California might need to decrease its agricultural production by 1 million acres. That would allow other farms to survive. If that happens, then the cost of produce, some nuts and even wine could increase.

Less agricultural production is very good. That will help feed more people. Price increases will also allow more people to be fed as well, so this is splendid news!

This year is expected to be the driest ever for the East Bay, district officials told KGO. Much of the water supply comes from the Sierra foothills, which has only seen about 50% of its average yearly precipitation, the station reported.

The board of water utility, East Bay MUD (municipal utility district), is expected to declare a stage 1 drought this week, which would ask for a 10% voluntary reduction of water use district wide.

Eight states from South Dakota to Arizona are currently under red-flag warnings for critical fire danger due to strong winds from 40 to 60 mph, relative humidity as low as 5% and bone-dry conditions.

Earlier this month, Colorado state officials also announced more preparations for an extended fire season due to less-than-normal snowfall during the winter.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/california-droughts-continue-worsen-fire-season-approaches/story?id=77319488
[/quote]
Such dry conditions are precisely why we should immediately stop eating red meat (or ANY meat for that matter) and put all of our eggs into the "plant basket", since we know that plants thrive in drought conditions and that humans are capable of gaining the most nutrition out of consuming fibrous plant matter rather than consuming meat and animal products.

We should be following government dietary guidelines instead, since they always know best, having a grain based foundation to our diet, with lots of fruits/vegetables mixed in, and only a small bit of meat and sweets... We should not be having a meat and animal product based foundation to our diet. That's bad; very bad.

/sarcasm
28-04-2021 18:32
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14449)

gfm7175 wrote:I suggest that we ban the consumption of red meat, and eventually all meat, to help alleviate the hunger crisis in America.

Banning consumption will only prompt riots, black markets and a proliferation of "for medical use only" consumption parlors.

What I suggest is that we outlaw hunger and strike at the problem at its core.

Problem solved.

28-04-2021 19:26
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
When was the last time, California didn't declare a drought? Seems like it's a hip & trendy annual event, like setting wildfires. Why in the hell do the set off huge explosive devices, to announce the gender of their spawn, that managed to dodge the abortion clinic? When I first heard 'Gender Reveal Party', I thought it was some hippie thing, to guess the gender, since liberals have a dozen or so choices these days. Most of which, I have no clue what's the difference. You are either born male or female, the rest is buggery.
28-04-2021 20:58
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:

I suggest that we ban the consumption of red meat, and eventually all meat, to help alleviate the hunger crisis in America. Limiting what a human is allowed to eat via prohibitions will obviously help solve world hunger, and we all know that the prohibition of alcohol worked out sooooo well in the past.

/sarcasm

Sadly you missed it. The cost of meat will increase as the number of both ranches and livestock decrease. It seems that you are not aware that ranches in Texas, a Republican state have closed up shop because their part of the Ogallala Aquifer has dried up.
This article is from 2012 and to be sarcastic, what can grow without water?? And if they pump their part of the Ogallala Aquifer dry, then they're out of business permanently.

Water is a contentious issue across Texas, but tensions have been especially high in a 16-county groundwater conservation district stretching from south of Lubbock into the Panhandle, an area considered part of America's "breadbasket." There, farmers reliant on the slowly diminishing Ogallala are fighting to maintain their right to pump unrestricted amounts of water.

https://www.texastribune.org/2012/03/18/texas-farmers-regulators-battle-over-ogallala/

This link is to a pdf which will download and will need to be opened. It discusses how aquifers in Texas (the Ogallala) is stressed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiQhL-qwaHwAhW7F1kFHTuvDzsQFjAOegQIFhAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hillcountryalliance.org%2Fuploads%2FHCA%2FGroundwaterIssue.pdf&usg=AOvVaw29492mzeiHSqMqe3vq-6t3
28-04-2021 23:54
(14449)

HarveyH55 wrote:When was the last time, California didn't declare a drought?

He who declares a drought gets to assign the BLAME as well. In California, an opportunity to BLAME Climate Change becomes an obligation to declare a drought.

In California, the opportunity to BLAME Climate Change becomes an obligation to mismanage the forests and to prohibit controlled burns.

In California, the opportunity to BLAME Climate Change becomes an obligation to refer to illegal immigrants as Climate Refugees. This one is a bit tricky because California also uses illegal immigrants to BLAME systemic racism. Which one takes priority is often in dispute and doesn't allow for explanations as to why the illegal immigrants would all be coming to the US if it weren't much better than where they were before.
Attached image:

18-05-2021 04:04
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
I guess along the California/Oregon border, water doesn't matter. We need to be able to blame someone.
https://apnews.com/article/oregon-california-health-droughts-science-1f93619dc660f40e558a91b095f41f7b
To show support for GFM and Jews around the world, let's blame God and Palestinians.
18-05-2021 08:03
(14449)

James___ wrote:
I guess along the California/Oregon border, water doesn't matter. We need to be able to blame someone.
https://apnews.com/article/oregon-california-health-droughts-science-1f93619dc660f40e558a91b095f41f7b
To show support for GFM and Jews around the world, let's blame God and Palestinians.

Awesome! Another AP fear-mongering article slinging around panic-worthy adjectives! Hoo-Ya! The California-Oregon border went from "dire" to "catastrophic."

Wait, where have I heard that word before? Well, never mind.

Anyway, once I saw those salmon ordered by length I naturally sschytt in my pants out of worry. After all, salmon are only arranged in size order during catastrophes. It must be Unfettered Global COVID Capitalism Warming fer sherrr.

James, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I almost was able to sleep peacefully tonight but you nipped that problem in the bud. Thank you.

Help yourself to a cookie.

18-05-2021 08:21
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21624)
James___ wrote:
If only everybody could live in Florida. But Florida doesn't produce enough produce to feed people. Lemons, oranges and limes aren't enough to live on.

The farming acreage in the SOTC is already heavily reduced.

Orchards are dead...abandoned.
Other farmland is left to go fallow...not planted...abandoned.
It is all over the SOTC. Those who can manage to sell their land are getting out.

The SOTC can neither feed nor supply power or water to it's inhabitants without continuous imports from outside.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
18-05-2021 08:26
(21624)
James___ wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

/sarcasm

Sadly you missed it. The cost of meat will increase as the number of both ranches and livestock decrease. It seems that you are not aware that ranches in Texas, a Republican state have closed up shop because their part of the Ogallala Aquifer has dried up.
This article is from 2012 and to be sarcastic, what can grow without water?? And if they pump their part of the Ogallala Aquifer dry, then they're out of business permanently.

Water is a contentious issue across Texas, but tensions have been especially high in a 16-county groundwater conservation district stretching from south of Lubbock into the Panhandle, an area considered part of America's "breadbasket." There, farmers reliant on the slowly diminishing Ogallala are fighting to maintain their right to pump unrestricted amounts of water.

https://www.texastribune.org/2012/03/18/texas-farmers-regulators-battle-over-ogallala/

This link is to a pdf which will download and will need to be opened. It discusses how aquifers in Texas (the Ogallala) is stressed.

The beef industry is doing fine. It doesn't all come from Texas, and not all of Texas has water problems or use that aquifer.

You also seem to forget that much of the aquifer is just fine. It gets refilled every year, you know, just like any river.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
18-05-2021 08:27
(21624)
James___ wrote:

More fake news.

The Parrot Killer

22-05-2021 04:43
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
From 2 days ago.

In what is shaping up to be the worst water crisis in generations, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation said it will not release water this season into the main canal that feeds the bulk of the massive Klamath Reclamation Project, marking a first for the 114-year-old irrigation system. The agency announced last month that hundreds of irrigators would get dramatically less water than usual, but a worsening drought picture means water will be completely shut off instead.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2021/05/19/615016.htm

From 5 weeks ago.

Western U.S. may be entering its most severe drought in modern history

By Jeff Berardelli

April 12, 2021 / 6:46 AM / CBS News

Extreme drought across the Western U.S. has become as reliable as a summer afternoon thunderstorm in Florida. And news headlines about drought in the West can seem a bit like a broken record, with some scientists saying the region is on the precipice of permanent drought.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drought-western-united-states-modern-history/
Edited on 22-05-2021 04:46
22-05-2021 05:53
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Ya'all wanted something.
22-05-2021 17:27
(21624)
James___ wrote:
From 2 days ago.

In what is shaping up to be the worst water crisis in generations, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation said it will not release water this season into the main canal that feeds the bulk of the massive Klamath Reclamation Project, marking a first for the 114-year-old irrigation system. The agency announced last month that hundreds of irrigators would get dramatically less water than usual, but a worsening drought picture means water will be completely shut off instead.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2021/05/19/615016.htm

From 5 weeks ago.

Western U.S. may be entering its most severe drought in modern history

By Jeff Berardelli

April 12, 2021 / 6:46 AM / CBS News

Extreme drought across the Western U.S. has become as reliable as a summer afternoon thunderstorm in Florida. And news headlines about drought in the West can seem a bit like a broken record, with some scientists saying the region is on the precipice of permanent drought.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drought-western-united-states-modern-history/

There is no drought, and the Bureau of Reclamation will find itself facing bullets of farmers again. They don't give a damn about the magick shrimp the Bureau of Reclamation is trying to 'save' (their usual excuse).

The Parrot Killer

27-05-2021 01:42
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:

There is no drought, and the Bureau of Reclamation will find itself facing bullets of farmers again. They don't give a damn about the magick shrimp the Bureau of Reclamation is trying to 'save' (their usual excuse).

You are correct sir. Why try to save fish important to Native Americans? It's like saying "sacred ground". Nothing sacred bout dirt. Then again, there is no Salish Sea. There are the Straits of Juan De Fuca and the Puget Sound but no Salish Sea. Right?
27-05-2021 02:25
(5197)
Blaming drought is retarded... We are human being, most, reasonably intelligent. You either learn to work with the resources available, or you move to Norway... Water can be stored and budgeted, to last as long as you need. water can be transported. There are always options, besides crying about not getting free stuff.
27-05-2021 02:50
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Blaming drought is retarded... We are human being, most, reasonably intelligent. You either learn to work with the resources available, or you move to Norway... Water can be stored and budgeted, to last as long as you need. water can be transported. There are always options, besides crying about not getting free stuff.

We know this isn't true. There is the Dust Bowl of the 1930's. That showed the divide even then between Republicans and Democrats. Republicans did not understand conservation. That is what helped the Great Depression created by Republicans saying believe in Wall St.
27-05-2021 03:12
(21624)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You are correct sir. Why try to save fish important to Native Americans?

They aren't fish. They are a type of brine shrimp. They are not important to anyone. They are not endangered either.
James___ wrote:
It's like saying "sacred ground". Nothing sacred bout dirt.
...deleted random wanderings...

Not talking about dirt.

The Parrot Killer

27-05-2021 03:13
(21624)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

We know this isn't true. There is the Dust Bowl of the 1930's. That showed the divide even then between Republicans and Democrats. Republicans did not understand conservation. That is what helped the Great Depression created by Republicans saying believe in Wall St.

FDR caused the Great Depression. He was a Democrat. He converted a normal downturn in the market to last for decades.

The Parrot Killer

27-05-2021 07:35
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

FDR caused the Great Depression. He was a Democrat. He converted a normal downturn in the market to last for decades.

Sadly people bought stock on margin. And when their cost was 10%, they couldn't afford to cover their margin if the market declined. Requiring a greater investment in the purchase of stock would have prevented the Great Depression. But it was about having faith in Wall St.
27-05-2021 15:36
(14449)

James___ wrote:Sadly people bought stock on margin.

Correction, they happily bought stock on margin. People happily buy stock on margin today.

James___ wrote:And when their cost was 10%, they couldn't afford to cover their margin if the market declined.

They knew the risks, yes? Armed with that knowledge they faced the risk head-on, perfectly willing to accept all profits if the market had risen.

James___ wrote:Requiring a greater investment in the purchase of stock would have prevented the Great Depression.

Stifling free markets will not prevent a Great Depression but will ensure it.

James___ wrote:But it was about having faith in Wall St.

Nope. It was all about having faith in the stocks they purchased. Wall St. simply enabled them to purchase the stocks.

The rope is not to blame when someone hangs himself.

[/quote]
27-05-2021 19:45
(21624)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Sadly people bought stock on margin. And when their cost was 10%, they couldn't afford to cover their margin if the market declined. Requiring a greater investment in the purchase of stock would have prevented the Great Depression. But it was about having faith in Wall St.

You are talking about the initial downturn. I am talking about the Great Depression. They are related, but it is FDR that made the Depression Great.

The Parrot Killer

27-05-2021 19:46
(21624)
IBdaMann wrote:

James___ wrote:Sadly people bought stock on margin.

Correction, they happily bought stock on margin. People happily buy stock on margin today.

James___ wrote:And when their cost was 10%, they couldn't afford to cover their margin if the market declined.

They knew the risks, yes? Armed with that knowledge they faced the risk head-on, perfectly willing to accept all profits if the market had risen.

James___ wrote:Requiring a greater investment in the purchase of stock would have prevented the Great Depression.

Stifling free markets will not prevent a Great Depression but will ensure it.

James___ wrote:But it was about having faith in Wall St.

Nope. It was all about having faith in the stocks they purchased. Wall St. simply enabled them to purchase the stocks.

The rope is not to blame when someone hangs himself.

[/center]

Certainly one way to put it!

The Parrot Killer

28-05-2021 07:42
(5197)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Clearly democrats never cared about conservation, only control and exploitation, driven by greed.
28-05-2021 17:38
(3314)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Clearly democrats never cared about conservation, only control and exploitation, driven by greed.

Pretty much... The Demonkkkrat Party has always been a control hungry compulsive bigoted racist party, ever since its inception in 1828...

29-05-2021 01:37
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I'm registered as an Independent. Sadly, the Dust Bowl was political. Republicans farmed it while Democrats said "conservation". You know, rotating crops and allowing land to recover from farming.
When you guy have no idea what this is about......
29-05-2021 01:39
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Pretty much... The Demonkkkrat Party has always been a control hungry compulsive bigoted racist party, ever since its inception in 1828...

And yet the Whig party was replaced by the republican party because slavery was okay. Good Ol' American values. Kind of sad that I'm not a "real" American.
Edited on 29-05-2021 01:40
29-05-2021 01:53
(14449)

James___ wrote: When you guy have no idea what this is about......

Question: Why did the Norwegian Jet Stream cross the road?
Answer: To jet to the isotachs

Question: How many Norwegian Jet Streams does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Answer: None. They always blow it.

29-05-2021 02:10
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

The Whig party was replaced by the Republican party because the Republican party opposed slavery. You can't build wealth off of free labor. And we're back to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMS_n1l3Wxc&t=7s

ps., you guys need vctims, right? Kind of like the walking dead. You do need to feed off of the living. That is what those things do.
Edited on 29-05-2021 02:13
29-05-2021 06:31
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The Whig party was replaced by the Republican party because the Republican party opposed slavery. You can't build wealth off of free labor. And we're back to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMS_n1l3Wxc&t=7s

ps., you guys need vctims, right? Kind of like the walking dead. You do need to feed off of the living. That is what those things do.

p.s., and today, Republicans say a minimal wage like Mexico has is what America needs. We can base our economy on wages of less than $8 a day. It works for Mexico.
29-05-2021 08:21
(14449)
James___ wrote: p.s., and today, Republicans say a minimal wage like Mexico has is what America needs. We can base our economy on wages of less than $8 a day. It works for Mexico.

Yes, I heard all the Republicans say that, right after they all insisted that wages should be controlled centrally by the government.

What are Republicans thinking? Shouldn't we be basing our economy on eight pesos per day? Mexico doesn't use dollars.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
30-05-2021 00:35
(5197)
Minimum wage is BS... Employers and employees can effectively workout compensation agreements. Employers need staff, and will pay what it takes, to attract and retain workers. Employees don't have to stay, or accept the job, if they don't like the pay. With minimum wage, employers hire fewer people, and expect a lot more.
30-05-2021 02:42
(14449)

HarveyH55 wrote:Minimum wage is BS...

Allowing unions to be the employment gatekeepers, deciding who gets to work and who is "not eligible", deciding who gets the pink slip based on union seniority instead of basing such a decision on performance or merit, empowered to strong-arm "protection money" (i.e. dues) from employees in order for them to keep working, ...

... is total BS.

30-05-2021 21:24
(5197)
Union make some sense for certain types of work. Mostly, they are just in it for making money. I briefly work at a union cannery, as a young man. $45/month dues, for job that paid $4.75/hour. Pretty steep back then. Didn't have to join, the season ended, before judgment day. I found work elsewhere, never went back. Mostly, unions did their best world, a century ago, and aren't really needed. They mostly create problems to solve, to justify collecting dues. Dues are an investment, and plenty of 'return' to spend as they please, beyond expenses.
30-05-2021 22:14
(14449)

HarveyH55 wrote:Union make some sense for certain types of work.

I am not aware of any, just as I am not aware of any types of cancer that make sense for certain types of people.

31-05-2021 19:30
(21624)
IBdaMann wrote:

I am not aware of any, just as I am not aware of any types of cancer that make sense for certain types of people.

I have to agree with this. A union boss is like a mob boss. He takes from you to run his union. He muscles in on anyone wanting to work in that industry, intimidating them to join the union 'for their own good' when the only benefiting is the union boss.

That's not to day the union boss will toss a bone in your direction from time to time. He knows if he doesn't, he loses power.

Unions also tend to fund Democrats...for a reason. They believe in the same thing...theft of wealth. In other words, socialism.

I personally can't think of any industry where unions have done their members any good.

The autoworker's union? Priced 'em right out of the market. The Japanese and Germans were happy to build cars for the US. So was Mexico.

The teamster's union? They have done nothing for the truckers but take what little money they make.

The united food workers union? They have done nothing for the food service workers but take what little money they make.

No, unions don't do anyone any good.

The Parrot Killer

01-06-2021 19:33
(3314)
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I have to agree with this.

... ... ...

No, unions don't do anyone any good.

I have to agree with IBD's and ITN's sentiment here. I did not enjoy my short time as a union employee. I enjoyed the job itself, but I didn't like being underneath the union thumb (receiving the exact same wage as the laziest employees received, and being shit on in other respects since I didn't have "seniority").

Join the debate Droughts Continue in the West:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Confirmed: Global floods, droughts worsening with warming9923-03-2023 01:50
NEW HIGH TEMPERATURE RECORDS CONTINUE TO OUTPACE LOW619-06-2020 22:02
Fossil fuel will be much cheaper for China when West ban fossil fuel use?228-04-2019 18:10
Moving manufacturing from the west to Eastern Europe + Russia + Asia + Mexico + South America + Africa wi617-03-2019 10:06
Why did the West burn fossil fuels like there's no tomorrow during Cold War?606-03-2019 22:15
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact