Remember me
▼ Content

Confirmed: Global floods, droughts worsening with warming

Page 1 of 3123>
Confirmed: Global floods, droughts worsening with warming14-03-2023 06:54
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
https://isp.netscape.com/news/story/0001/20230313/51ba64f58528e5db93e846765b2da9f3?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9pc3AubmV0c2NhcGUuY29tLz9fZ3VjX2NvbnNlbnRfc2tpcD0xNjc4NzY3MTEy&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALO-zFyQdoeQKNterM3iRbOCbOa5f2Fn8bgvAGacmBKROPoxik4FND0K3cj1DtWvVFAQlRKRSgap1eTbo-jfBG1WXXTnrfvIvfKGR5A4L1wYrEpLLSOAFH_YUWL7q7nFqJrVFRSjkS0eNJ2TirPECYH0MZfNlo77G0z473qraJ3W&_guc_consent_skip=1678767262

Confirmed: Global floods, droughts worsening with warming
By ISABELLA O'MALLEY
Associated Press
The intensity of extreme drought and rainfall has "sharply" increased over the past 20 years, according to a study published Monday in the journal Nature Water. These aren't merely tough weather events, they are leading to extremes such as crop failure, infrastructure damage, even humanitarian crises and conflict.

The big picture on water comes from data from a pair of satellites known as GRACE, or Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment, that were used to measure changes in Earth's water storage — the sum of all the water on and in the land, including groundwater, surface water, ice, and snow.

"It's incredible that we can now monitor the pulse of continental water from outer space," said Park Williams, a bioclimatologist at the University of California, Los Angeles who was not involved with the study.

"I have a feeling when future generations look back and try to determine when humanity really began understanding the planet as a whole, this will be one of the studies highlighted," he said.

The researchers say the data confirms that both frequency and intensity of rainfall and droughts are increasing due to burning fossil fuels and other human activity that releases greenhouse gases.

"I was surprised to see how well correlated the global intensity was with global mean temperatures," said Matthew Rodell, study author and deputy director of Earth sciences for hydrosphere, biosphere, and geophysics at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.

The strong link between these climate extremes and rising global average temperatures means continued global warming will mean more drought and rainstorms that are worse by many measures — more frequent, more severe, longer and larger.

Researchers looked at 1,056 events from 2002-2021 using a novel algorithm that identifies where the land is much wetter or drier than normal.

That showed the most extreme rains keep happening in sub-Saharan Africa, at least through December 2021, the end of the data. The rainfall extremes also took place in central and eastern North America from 2018-2021, and Australia during 2011-2012.

The most intense droughts were a record-breaking one in northeastern South America from 2015-2016; an event in the Cerrado region of Brazil that began in 2019 and continues; and the ongoing drought in the American Southwest that has caused dangerously low water levels in two of the biggest U.S. reservoirs, Lake Mead and Lake Powell. Those remain low despite heavy rains this year.

Drought events outnumbered heavy rain events by 10%. Their geographic extents and how long they lasted were similar.

A warmer atmosphere increases the rate at which water evaporates during dry periods. It also holds more water vapor, which fuels heavy rainfall events.

The study noted that infrastructure like airports and sewage treatment plants that were designed to withstand once-in-a-100-year events are becoming more challenged as these extremes happen more often and with more intensity.

"Looking forward into the future, in terms of managing water resources and flood control, we should be anticipating that the wetter extremes will be wetter and the dry extremes will get drier," said Richard Seager, a climate scientist at the Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University, who was not involved with the study.

Seager said it's a mistake to assume that future wet and dry extremes can be managed the same as in the past because "everything's going to get amplified on both ends of the dry-wet spectrum."

According to the U.S. National Integrated Drought Information System, 20% of the annual economic losses from extreme weather events in the U.S. are from floods and droughts.

A drastic swing between extreme drought and unprecedented flooding, dubbed "weather whiplash," is becoming common in some regions.

Water stress is expected to significantly affect poor, disenfranchised communities as well as ecosystems that have been underfunded and exploited.

For example, the United Nations has said that Somalia is experiencing its longest and most severe drought, an event that has caused the deaths of millions of livestock and widespread hunger. Venezuela, a country that has faced years of political and economic crises, resorted to nationwide power cuts during April 2016 as a result of the drought conditions affecting water levels of the Guri Dam.

As for solutions, using floodwaters to replenish depleted aquifers and improving the health of agricultural soil so it can absorb water better and store more carbon are just a few methods that could improve water resiliency in a warming world, the study says.

——

20 years of 'data', they believe the fully understand the past, present, and future weather...

California has been having a drought 'crisis' far back as I can remember. They finally get a 'gift' from above, and complaining about it. It's their wet season, so not really unexpected. Few months from now, will they still be crying drought, out of habit?

Most places on the planet don't get the perfect balance of rain/sunshine on a weekly basis. There are always dry spells, usually followed with excessive wet. Nobody has been able to successful predict the weather, or when extremes will happen, for how long, or where. Weather forecasts are pretty good, for a few days out. Mostly by tracking the path of already existing weather systems moving through. I know from living in Florida, that even if the conditions exist, the extremes don't always develop. We get a lot of severe thunderstorms, that usually pass pretty quick. Lot of times tornado warnings are issued, but rarely happen.

I'm not really seeing many weather events, that haven't happened before. The only difference is that we have more tools, better tools, than existed 20-30 years ago. Any comparison between current measurements, and events that happen before these tools are estimates, opinions. Political opinions to suit an agenda.
14-03-2023 15:12
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14378)
HarveyH55 wrote:20 years of 'data', they believe the fully understand the past, present, and future weather...

Suppose you were flipping a (well-balanced) coin, any result of which could either be "heads" or "tails." How many consecutive coin flip results do you think you would need to record in order to be able to predict the subsequent future coin flips?
14-03-2023 18:02
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:20 years of 'data', they believe the fully understand the past, present, and future weather...

Suppose you were flipping a (well-balanced) coin, any result of which could either be "heads" or "tails." How many consecutive coin flip results do you think you would need to record in order to be able to predict the subsequent future coin flips?

In a schizophrenic mind the climate can be compared to a coin flip. As you just did.

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
14-03-2023 18:34
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

In a schizophrenic mind the climate can be compared to a coin flip. As you just did.

In a schizzo world, deprived of all reading comprehension such as yours, global climate and weather can be conflated without definition of either, as you just did.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
14-03-2023 19:08
(5195)
IBdaMann wrote:

I'll wait for the 130 IQ to answer that. Life is too short... It was just amusing that mostly climate-crusaders states are cursing their solar panels. Drought-prone California is getting plenty of water now. Going on 4 weeks straight. Certainly, much of their gift from God, is going to flow straight out to sea. Carbon-capture? They would have done better to capture some rain water, for later in the year.
14-03-2023 19:17
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
HarveyH55 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I'll wait for the 130 IQ to answer that. Life is too short... It was just amusing that mostly climate-crusaders states are cursing their solar panels. Drought-prone California is getting plenty of water now. Going on 4 weeks straight. Certainly, much of their gift from God, is going to flow straight out to sea. Carbon-capture? They would have done better to capture some rain water, for later in the year.

To a schizzo a coin flip is the same thing as a tornado because a tornado can toss the coin

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

14-03-2023 19:19
(14378)
Swan wrote:In a schizophrenic mind the climate can be compared to a coin flip. As you just did.

A rational mind will recognize random events for what they are and will treat them as such. A paranoid schizophrenic mind will see delusional "forces" exerting control in ways that the rational do not see.

Tell me again how "scientists" somehow assign a value to a photon ... or how they even know where it is. I mean, they have special "powers", right?
14-03-2023 19:21
(14378)
Swan wrote:To a schizzo a coin flip is the same thing as a tornado

How do you know this?
14-03-2023 19:36
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:In a schizophrenic mind the climate can be compared to a coin flip. As you just did.

A rational mind will recognize random events for what they are and will treat them as such. A paranoid schizophrenic mind will see delusional "forces" exerting control in ways that the rational do not see.

Tell me again how "scientists" somehow assign a value to a photon ... or how they even know where it is. I mean, they have special "powers", right?

Says the idiot who claims that Einstein proved that quantum entanglement does not exist when in reality he discovered it.

True story, but you will never know

Toodloo faggy

ULTRA MAGA

14-03-2023 19:44
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:To a schizzo a coin flip is the same thing as a tornado

How do you know this?

Which one of your FBI personalities wants to know?

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 14-03-2023 19:45
14-03-2023 19:49
(14378)
Swan wrote:Says the idiot who claims that Einstein proved that quantum entanglement does not exist when in reality he discovered it.

Says the gullible idiot who was totally fooled by the quantum computing hoax. Who are you claiming discovered quantum entanglement? Einstein or I?

Anyway, nobody discovered quantum entanglement because it doesn't exist to be discovered. You have never explained how thientithts somehow keep track of two entangled particles. You never realized that all "announcements" are specifically timed to keep stock values high and that all claim that entangled particles/photons are "unstable" and are "lost" after microseconds. You still haven't caught on.

But sure, it's all totally real.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-03-2023 20:04
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Says the idiot who claims that Einstein proved that quantum entanglement does not exist when in reality he discovered it.

Says the gullible idiot who was totally fooled by the quantum computing hoax. Who are you claiming discovered quantum entanglement? Einstein or I?

Anyway, nobody discovered quantum entanglement because it doesn't exist to be discovered. You have never explained how thientithts somehow keep track of two entangled particles. You never realized that all "announcements" are specifically timed to keep stock values high and that all claim that entangled particles/photons are "unstable" and are "lost" after microseconds. You still haven't caught on.

But sure, it's all totally real.

LOL, you better take a chill pill, because your frustration is showing.

Again quantum entanglement is real and it was discovered by Einstein who called it spooky action at a distance. Your agreement with this is not needed, but in order for you to get the argument that you need to self-stimulate yourself you must disagree and argue so that you can receive the attention that your mother never gave to you as a child.

Seriously, are you an FBI special agent in charge of waving? because your stupid is preciously special.

ULTRA MAGA

14-03-2023 20:15
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1639)
HarveyH55 wrote:

California has been having a drought 'crisis' far back as I can remember. They finally get a 'gift' from above,

My drought barometer of choice is lake Mead water levels.

Let's see if they bottom around 1044 feet... still seems too soon to tell... and looks like they probably will be lower than that level by autumn 2023

https://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp

14-03-2023 20:22
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

California has been having a drought 'crisis' far back as I can remember. They finally get a 'gift' from above,

Let's see if they bottom around 1044 feet... still seems too soon to tell... and looks like they probably will be lower than that level by autumn 2023

Lake Meade means nothing because building a city on an artificial reservoir was and always will be a dumb idea. See Vegas was a desert long before Lake MEade even existed

ULTRA MAGA

14-03-2023 21:05
(14378)
Swan wrote:Again quantum entanglement is real

Again, quantum entanglement is a hoax sold to gullibles who, in turn, keep share values high because they totally fall for the hoax.

Swan wrote: ... and it was discovered by Einstein

Too funny. So I am not merely reminding you, but am actually TEACHING you that nothing that is purely theoretical has ever been "discovered." If it had been discovered, it wouldn't be purely theoretical. You should have learned this when you were a child. You need to find those negligent people who were supposed to be ensuring your education and have a "Come to Jesus" talk with them. They did you a huge disservice.

Quantum entanglement is a purely theoretical idea that Einstein fully discredited. Einstein wouldn't have discredited the existence of something that he discovered. I'm beginning to see just how easy it is to fool you; no plausibility is even required.

Swan wrote: Seriously, are you an FBI special agent

... and do I smile seriously when I'm serious?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-03-2023 21:18
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Again quantum entanglement is real

Again, quantum entanglement is a hoax sold to gullibles who, in turn, keep share values high because they totally fall for the hoax.

Swan wrote: ... and it was discovered by Einstein

Too funny. So I am not merely reminding you, but am actually TEACHING you that nothing that is purely theoretical has ever been "discovered." If it had been discovered, it wouldn't be purely theoretical. You should have learned this when you were a child. You need to find those negligent people who were supposed to be ensuring your education and have a "Come to Jesus" talk with them. They did you a huge disservice.

Quantum entanglement is a purely theoretical idea that Einstein fully discredited. Einstein wouldn't have discredited the existence of something that he discovered. I'm beginning to see just how easy it is to fool you; no plausibility is even required.

Swan wrote: Seriously, are you an FBI special agent

... and do I smile seriously when I'm serious?

Wrong again because when Einstein discovered quantum entanglement, he was not promoting any stock. Furthermore Einstein discovered entanglement, but you will still choose to troll for attention like the mental midget that you are.

LOL, you will have lots of fun pretending to argue with MIT
https://mitpress.mit.edu/9780262538442/quantum-entanglement/

An exploration of quantum entanglement and the ways in which it contradicts our everyday assumptions about the ultimate nature of reality.

Quantum physics is notable for its brazen defiance of common sense. (Think of Schrödinger's Cat, famously both dead and alive.) An especially rigorous form of quantum contradiction occurs in experiments with entangled particles. Our common assumption is that objects have properties whether or not anyone is observing them, and the measurement of one can't affect the other. Quantum entanglement—called by Einstein "spooky action at a distance"—rejects this assumption, offering impeccable reasoning and irrefutable evidence of the opposite. Is quantum entanglement mystical, or just mystifying? In this volume in the MIT Press Essential Knowledge series, Jed Brody equips readers to decide for themselves. He explains how our commonsense assumptions impose constraints—from which entangled particles break free.

Brody explores such concepts as local realism, Bell's inequality, polarization, time dilation, and special relativity. He introduces readers to imaginary physicists Alice and Bob and their photon analyses; points out that it's easier to reject falsehood than establish the truth; and reports that some physicists explain entanglement by arguing that we live in a cross-section of a higher-dimensional reality. He examines a variety of viewpoints held by physicists, including quantum decoherence, Niels Bohr's Copenhagen interpretation, genuine fortuitousness, and QBism. This relatively recent interpretation, an abbreviation of "quantum Bayesianism," holds that there's no such thing as an absolutely accurate, objective probability "out there," that quantum mechanical probabilities are subjective judgments, and there's no "action at a distance," spooky or otherwise.

Silly little girl

ULTRA MAGA

14-03-2023 21:54
(14378)
Swan wrote:Wrong again because when Einstein discovered quantum entanglement,

Too funny. I forgot that you are too stupid to learn. Quantum entanglement is a purely theoretical speculation. No one has ever "discovered" it. Einstein did, however, show that nothing of the sort is possible. Hucksters use it today as a techie-hoax ... and you fell for it. You're gullible in that way. You've probably always been gullible.

Swan wrote:[Einstein] was not promoting any stock.

... nor was he promoting any hoax.

Swan wrote: Quantum physics is notable for its brazen defiance of common sense.

You are directly quoting someone who is taking advantage of your gullibility.

Quantum Mechanics is not physics; it's math. That's why there is a "collapsing wave function". Quantum Mechanics doesn't predict nature as science does. Quantum mechanics (math) tells you that what you observed is the possibility that actually ended up happening and you say "No shit!" Quantum mechanics simply gave you the probabilities of each possibility beforehand, but it has no power of prediction.

You know there is no such thing as quantum entanglement because you know that there is no possible way to somehow keep track of particles that are supposedly "entangled."

Swan wrote: (Think of Schrödinger's Cat, famously both dead and alive.)

Except that that is not reality. The cat is either alive or dead, and quantum mechanics (math) identifies both of those simultaneous possibilities. Stupid, gullible morons use the words "The cat *is* both alive and dead at the same time." Rational adults use the correct wording "The cat is either alive or dead but we won't know until we check." It's when we check that we discover which possibility won out and we discard all the other possibilities, called "collapsing the wave function."

So, anyone wishing to fight gibber-babble with gibber-babble can use the phrase "collapse the wave function" instead of "find out", e.g. "We should collapse the wave function on when GasGuzzler will be barbecuing peanut butter venison."

All of the mystery of quantum mechanics comes from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the error introduced just from the observing/measuring.
14-03-2023 22:06
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Wrong again because when Einstein discovered quantum entanglement,

Too funny. I forgot that you are too stupid to learn. Quantum entanglement is a purely theoretical speculation. No one has ever "discovered" it. Einstein did, however, show that nothing of the sort is possible. Hucksters use it today as a techie-hoax ... and you fell for it. You're gullible in that way. You've probably always been gullible.

Swan wrote:[Einstein] was not promoting any stock.

... nor was he promoting any hoax.

Swan wrote: Quantum physics is notable for its brazen defiance of common sense.

You are directly quoting someone who is taking advantage of your gullibility.

Quantum Mechanics is not physics; it's math. That's why there is a "collapsing wave function". Quantum Mechanics doesn't predict nature as science does. Quantum mechanics (math) tells you that what you observed is the possibility that actually ended up happening and you say "No shit!" Quantum mechanics simply gave you the probabilities of each possibility beforehand, but it has no power of prediction.

You know there is no such thing as quantum entanglement because you know that there is no possible way to somehow keep track of particles that are supposedly "entangled."

Swan wrote: (Think of Schrödinger's Cat, famously both dead and alive.)

Except that that is not reality. The cat is either alive or dead, and quantum mechanics (math) identifies both of those simultaneous possibilities. Stupid, gullible morons use the words "The cat *is* both alive and dead at the same time." Rational adults use the correct wording "The cat is either alive or dead but we won't know until we check." It's when we check that we discover which possibility won out and we discard all the other possibilities, called "collapsing the wave function."

So, anyone wishing to fight gibber-babble with gibber-babble can use the phrase "collapse the wave function" instead of "find out", e.g. "We should collapse the wave function on when GasGuzzler will be barbecuing peanut butter venison."

All of the mystery of quantum mechanics comes from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the error introduced just from the observing/measuring.

Says the government zombie who denies

1. the last ice age, because I didn't see it
2. quantum computers, because I own stock in at least one
3. that Einstein discovered quantum entanglement calling it spooky
4. And who does claim that the Earth's climate has been stolen

PS. You aren't the first special agent to be brainwashed into believing that they are saving the World, and luckily for the laughs that you clowns create, you won't be the last.

PSS. LOL if you find the Earth's climate, please let it go, as it knows the way home. Unlike you

ULTRA MAGA

15-03-2023 01:12
(1639)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Lake Meade means nothing because building a city on an artificial reservoir was and always will be a dumb idea. See Vegas was a desert long before Lake MEade even existed

Whatever lake Mead means to you, or whether Nevada's urban planning is smart or dumb, Lake Mead is still going to be a good barometer of the Western State's drought conditions.

15-03-2023 01:32
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Whatever lake Mead means to you, or whether Nevada's urban planning is smart or dumb, Lake Mead is still going to be a good barometer of the Western State's drought conditions.

Nope, because lake meade is manmade as are the cities built in the desert where there never was water to begin with. See if there was nothing but the cacti that were meant to be there, then there is no drought as the cacti would be just fine.

ULTRA MAGA

15-03-2023 02:00
(1639)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Nope, because lake meade is manmade as are the cities built in the desert where there never was water to begin with. See if there was nothing but the cacti that were meant to be there, then there is no drought as the cacti would be just fine.

What are you implying?

It would take another 5 years straight of bad drought before it became a dead pool.

Surely it can be used as a barometer of drought conditions for at least the next 5 years, no?

15-03-2023 02:57
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What are you implying?

It would take another 5 years straight of bad drought before it became a dead pool.

Surely it can be used as a barometer of drought conditions for at least the next 5 years, no?

Nope because the issue is not lack of water but people and industry built in a desert. No people, no homes, no businesses then there is no drought, just happy cacti that need nothing but the morning dew and 100 degree sunshine to live.

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 15-03-2023 03:05
15-03-2023 02:58
(5195)
The 'drought' conditions have been there long as anyone can recall. It's just part of the environment, it's climate. Not ideal for man's purposes, but tolerable. They do get a lot of rain and snow too, but it's a short season, so they prefer to channel excesses out to sea. Then, whine and complain later in the year. Water storage can be tough, since if it's not moving, it stagnates, and doesn't stay 'fresh' for long. Even stagnated water, is still useful, can be filtered and purified. Still good enough for agriculture, and many other uses.
15-03-2023 03:10
(1639)
HarveyH55 wrote:
The 'drought' conditions have been there long as anyone can recall. It's just part of the environment, it's climate. Not ideal for man's purposes, but tolerable. They do get a lot of rain and snow too, but it's a short season, so they prefer to channel excesses out to sea. Then, whine and complain later in the year. Water storage can be tough, since if it's not moving, it stagnates, and doesn't stay 'fresh' for long. Even stagnated water, is still useful, can be filtered and purified. Still good enough for agriculture, and many other uses.

Lake Mead water level has been heading lower since 2000

https://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/lakemead_line.pdf

15-03-2023 03:12
(1639)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What are you implying?

Nope because the issue is not lack of water but people and industry built in a desert. No people, no homes, no businesses then there is no drought, just happy cacti that need nothing but the morning dew and 100 degree sunshine to live.

And what would cause that to change?

15-03-2023 03:23
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What are you implying?

Retards building a dam in the desert because at the time it seemed like a good idea. All the migratory fish began vanishing immediately, but environmental shi-wads like you ignore that for some reason. A drought in a desert is impossible, as if there was water there would be no desert. So technically a full lake meade is an environmental catastrophe, because all the cacti were drowned. Besides I will literally giggle as mexifornia suffers. Hoover did not give a shit about the environment, because Hoover dam destroyed the natural ecosystem just to make electricity for mob casinos and to put a few people to work temporarily.

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 15-03-2023 03:39
15-03-2023 05:29
(1639)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What are you implying?

Retards building a dam in the desert because at the time it seemed like a good idea. All the migratory fish began vanishing immediately, but environmental shi-wads like you ignore that for some reason. A drought in a desert is impossible, as if there was water there would be no desert. So technically a full lake meade is an environmental catastrophe, because all the cacti were drowned. Besides I will literally giggle as mexifornia suffers. Hoover did not give a shit about the environment, because Hoover dam destroyed the natural ecosystem just to make electricity for mob casinos and to put a few people to work temporarily.

There are 4 dams being destroyed, to restore salmon populations, along the Klamath River, in CA & OR, over the next couple years.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-largest-ever-dam-demolition-will-restore-salmon-habitat-180981190/

Is that what you are implying be done to Hoover Dam?

Edited on 15-03-2023 05:31
15-03-2023 06:48
(5195)
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

A dam is primarily used to control the flow of a river. The water has to flow at a certain minimal rate to produce electricity. Lot of development and population increase over 20 years. Higher demand on electricity, not to mention the folks down stream demanding more water, and agriculture. It was going to happen eventually. The dam was designed to fill the projected needs for decades, and it did. Even exceeded expectations. But, it was never expected to last forever. The demand would exceed the capacity eventually. They expected something else to replace it. Like nuclear or fusion power generation. Without running the generators at maximum output, the retained water would last much longer for other uses. Nobody wanted to spend the money to keep up with demand, when the one dam was doing good enough to get by on most of the time.
15-03-2023 12:39
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What are you implying?

There are 4 dams being destroyed, to restore salmon populations, along the Klamath River, in CA & OR, over the next couple years.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-largest-ever-dam-demolition-will-restore-salmon-habitat-180981190/

Salmon are river specific, as they always return to the same river year after year. So within several years of building any dam, all of the fish from that river system that need to migrate are extinct. So how do you restore EXTINCT species that were totally destroyed by the dams in hundreds of rivers?

Your entire life is a delusion as you can only think what they programmed you to think

ULTRA MAGA

15-03-2023 12:48
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

A dam is primarily used to control the flow of a river. The water has to flow at a certain minimal rate to produce electricity. Lot of development and population increase over 20 years. Higher demand on electricity, not to mention the folks down stream demanding more water, and agriculture. It was going to happen eventually. The dam was designed to fill the projected needs for decades, and it did. Even exceeded expectations. But, it was never expected to last forever. The demand would exceed the capacity eventually. They expected something else to replace it. Like nuclear or fusion power generation. Without running the generators at maximum output, the retained water would last much longer for other uses. Nobody wanted to spend the money to keep up with demand, when the one dam was doing good enough to get by on most of the time.

No amount of money can ever repair the extinction of migratory fish stocks that became evident in the very year that any dam opened. Species were eliminated in the name of progress; everyone knew but no one cared.

ULTRA MAGA

15-03-2023 14:44
(14378)
Swan wrote: everyone knew but no one cared.

Right. Exactly. Nobody cares.

... but I order you to drone on about it nonetheless.

Get to it.
15-03-2023 17:16
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote: everyone knew but no one cared.

Right. Exactly. Nobody cares.

... but I order you to drone on about it nonetheless.

Get to it.

The Hoover dam is the greatest environmental catastrophe ever created, in fact it did more permanent damage to the landscape than the bombs dropped on Japan. All so that the mob could steal money from addicts in Vegas and so that the mob had a big concrete contract. Which makes Hoover a scumbag

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 15-03-2023 17:55
15-03-2023 20:18
(5195)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What are you implying?

Salmon are river specific, as they always return to the same river year after year. So within several years of building any dam, all of the fish from that river system that need to migrate are extinct. So how do you restore EXTINCT species that were totally destroyed by the dams in hundreds of rivers?

Your entire life is a delusion as you can only think what they programmed you to think

Did you skip your meds, again? There are many rivers and streams, that don't have dams... salmon are doing just fine, not extinct. Google 'fish ladder'. Also, many fish are caught, and taken to fish hatcheries, were their eggs get fertilized, until the babies hatch, and fed until large enough to release in another non-dam location. Which is where they return to spawn, instead of getting shredded in turbine blades.

https://thegorgeguide.com/bonneville-dam-visitor-center/

Went Bonneville Dam a times as a child (school field trips).
15-03-2023 21:34
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What are you implying?

Did you skip your meds, again? There are many rivers and streams, that don't have dams... salmon are doing just fine, not extinct. Google 'fish ladder'. Also, many fish are caught, and taken to fish hatcheries, were their eggs get fertilized, until the babies hatch, and fed until large enough to release in another non-dam location. Which is where they return to spawn, instead of getting shredded in turbine blades.

https://thegorgeguide.com/bonneville-dam-visitor-center/

Went Bonneville Dam a times as a child (school field trips).

Actually all migratory salmon are extinct in damned rivers as the dams prevent migration and reproduction. Also since these salmon are specific to individual rivers they can never be recovered even if the dam is removed. This is why no new dams are being built and many existing ones are being demolished. Really you ought to pay attention to something other than choking your chicken

Rivers and other ecosystems that provide essential habitats to freshwater fish are under increasing pressure from global hydropower development. While dams can provide flood protection, energy supply, and water security, they also pose a significant threat to freshwater species. Dams block fish from moving along their natural pathways between feeding and spawning grounds, causing interruptions in their life cycles that limit their abilities to reproduce. As hydropower development continues along river basins around the world, scientists are concerned about the unknown impacts to the diverse species found in freshwater habitats – many of which are critical sources of food and livelihood for humans.

ULTRA MAGA

15-03-2023 21:36
(1639)
Swan wrote:

I'm delusional? You are the one who said Lake Mead water levels won't be measured any more in less than 5 years because the Hoover dam killed salmon.

15-03-2023 21:46
(1639)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I was talking about drought conditions in these western Stares.

It would take about 5 years of extreme drought conditions, starting now, and continuing unabated, before lake Mead became a dead pool.

Rainfall this autumn and winter season has been better than the last 3 years, so maybe that projection is a bit longer now...

15-03-2023 21:49
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:

I'm delusional? You are the one who said Lake Mead water levels won't be measured any more in less than 5 years because the Hoover dam killed salmon.

Quote that please?

That is if you can.

Otherwise, you are a silly and spoiled little child, who joyfully eats dogs and cats cooked alive.

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 15-03-2023 21:59
16-03-2023 00:25
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:

You give up already delusional one?

Quote that please?

That is if you can.

Otherwise, you are a silly and spoiled little child, who joyfully eats dogs and cats cooked alive.

ULTRA MAGA

16-03-2023 00:35
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:

You give up already delusional one?

Quote that please?

That is if you can.

Says the d-bag who still has yet to quote IBdaMann saying the earth has no climate. You think our memory is as short as yours??!!

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
16-03-2023 00:55
(1639)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:

Quote that please?

That is if you can.

Allow me to summarize the key points of our conversation.

Spongy: surely lake Mead will be measured for the next 5 years?

Swan: nope the issue is people and businesses living in the desert.

Spongy: what would cause that to change?

Swan: all the migratory fish died. I will literally giggle as Mexifornia suffers.

Page 1 of 3123>

Join the debate Confirmed: Global floods, droughts worsening with warming:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Worsening warming is hurting people in all regions, US climate assessment shows2923-11-2023 02:17
Superconducting qubits cover new distances, Bell's theorem is confirmed813-05-2023 04:58
The Recent Floods In Europe & Fire In Frozen America Show How Stupid Their Government Are118-07-2021 20:36
Droughts Continue in the West3601-06-2021 19:33
Understanding Why The Natural Disasters Come: Floods, Tsunami, Earthquake, Volcano Eruption009-08-2020 04:35
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact