Remember me
▼ Content

The Great Flood: The Sequel

The Great Flood: The Sequel24-06-2022 03:30
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
https://hackaday.com/2022/06/23/sea-level-rise-from-melting-ice-sheets-could-soon-be-locked-in/

Of prime concern is the Thwaites Glacier, which scientists have nicknamed the "Doomsday Glacier" for the perceived danger it poses. The glacier is held back, particularly in the east, by a large floating ice shelf. This slows the flow of the glacier and helps keep it stable. The floating ice shelf is further aided in this task as it sits against a large underwater mountain, acting as a brace.

Recently, scientists have noted that the floating ice shelf is showing worrying signs of deterioration. Large cracks have been spiderwebbing across the ice, prompting concerns for the long-term stability of the shelf. The effect is similar to cracks in a window; once they reach a certain point, the entire glass just shatters. Compounding the problem, the ice shelf appears to be losing its grip on the underwater mountain holding it in place as warmer waters melt the sheet from below.

When land ice sits on ground beneath sea level, it can let seawater in underneath if the ice sheet isn't heavier than the denser seawater it would otherwise displace. This water then melts the ice from below at an increasing rate as the grounding line moves further inland. Credit: NASA, public domain
The Thwaites Glacier is already responsible for about 4% of global sea level rise each year. The concern is that with the loss of the floating ice shelf, the glacier could increase its flows towards the ocean, increasing up to 5% of sea level rise in the short term alone. Scientists currently expect the ice shelf to break up within the next 5 years or so.

I suspect melting ice, during the summer months, is the least of our worries. We still have 2 1/2 years of Biden destroying our country.
24-06-2022 04:05
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://hackaday.com/2022/06/23/sea-level-rise-from-melting-ice-sheets-could-soon-be-locked-in/

Of prime concern is the Thwaites Glacier, which scientists have nicknamed the "Doomsday Glacier" for the perceived danger it poses. The glacier is held back, particularly in the east, by a large floating ice shelf. This slows the flow of the glacier and helps keep it stable. The floating ice shelf is further aided in this task as it sits against a large underwater mountain, acting as a brace.

Recently, scientists have noted that the floating ice shelf is showing worrying signs of deterioration. Large cracks have been spiderwebbing across the ice, prompting concerns for the long-term stability of the shelf. The effect is similar to cracks in a window; once they reach a certain point, the entire glass just shatters. Compounding the problem, the ice shelf appears to be losing its grip on the underwater mountain holding it in place as warmer waters melt the sheet from below.

When land ice sits on ground beneath sea level, it can let seawater in underneath if the ice sheet isn't heavier than the denser seawater it would otherwise displace. This water then melts the ice from below at an increasing rate as the grounding line moves further inland. Credit: NASA, public domain
The Thwaites Glacier is already responsible for about 4% of global sea level rise each year. The concern is that with the loss of the floating ice shelf, the glacier could increase its flows towards the ocean, increasing up to 5% of sea level rise in the short term alone. Scientists currently expect the ice shelf to break up within the next 5 years or so.

I suspect melting ice, during the summer months, is the least of our worries. We still have 2 1/2 years of Biden destroying our country.

Actually Antarctic ice shelves break off when they get too big not because they are melting

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
25-06-2022 14:46
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Actually Antarctic ice shelves break off when they get too big not because they are melting

Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor. Idle hands, are the devils workshop... With all the free time and energy, many people used it to screw other people over to get rich.
25-06-2022 19:44
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor. Idle hands, are the devils workshop... With all the free time and energy, many people used it to screw other people over to get rich.

That sounds like Republicans. So why aren't you rich Harvey?
25-06-2022 22:38
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
HarveyH55 wrote:Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor.

Harvey, this is not true. Advancing technology and new machines does not reduce the need for manpower. Not even automation reduces the need for manpower; in fact, it increases it.

The crisis that was brought about by the Industrial Revolution was the extremely rapid change of demand. Instead of the value one had in his skills of craftsmanship, the demand was now for labor with machines. Totally different.

With machines comes the need for highly skilled technical people to engineer those machines and to perform maintenance on those machines, i.e. a huge demand, body of knowledge and skill set that did not previously exist.

When people are freed of laborious tasks, they can devote time and effort to higher-level thinking and planning.

26-06-2022 17:39
(5197)
James_ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

That sounds like Republicans. So why aren't you rich Harvey?

Depends on what you value most, how you define 'rich'. Money isn't the only thing people value. I have everything I need, and enough money to do what I want. If Biden would keep his hands off my 401k, I'd probably do alright after retirement. What good is spending your life accumulating wealth (money), if only to leave it for others to spend, frivalously? The money you had to work for, has greater value. 'Free-money', other people's money, is real easy to spend.

Your income is limited, but labor-free. You'll get rich, if you ever spend the free time, and limited resources on on of your many Nobel Prize projects. We could really use that gravity-wheel right now, since gas prices are only going to climb, under Biden. They won't fall much after either.
28-06-2022 00:47
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor.

Harvey, this is not true. Advancing technology and new machines does not reduce the need for manpower. Not even automation reduces the need for manpower; in fact, it increases it.

The crisis that was brought about by the Industrial Revolution was the extremely rapid change of demand. Instead of the value one had in his skills of craftsmanship, the demand was now for labor with machines. Totally different.

With machines comes the need for highly skilled technical people to engineer those machines and to perform maintenance on those machines, i.e. a huge demand, body of knowledge and skill set that did not previously exist.

When people are freed of laborious tasks, they can devote time and effort to higher-level thinking and planning.

Quite right.

Crafting things by hand is very expensive, and difficult to reproduce parts for maintaining an item. Such items were very costly.

The production line made things cheaper so many more people could afford the product. The craftsman became engineers, designing the products and even the assembly line itself.

MORE people employed. MORE productivity. CHEAPER product. All around a good thing. Because of the assembly line, products such as the personal computer became possible, with each of the literally thousands of engineers and even more technicians that make it all work.

Yes...the product line brought many more jobs. Jobs that didn't take a lifetime to learn and master. All while making products that these workers could purchase now that they were much cheaper.

And the craftsman? They are still there. They still make stuff by hand of beautiful quality that no production line can reproduce. Now, of course, they benefit from better made tools and other products made available by that assembly line.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 28-06-2022 00:49
28-06-2022 01:39
(5197)
IBdaMann wrote:

The job, is to dig a thousand foot long drainage ditch... One man on an excavator can do the job in a day. How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? Manpower and manual labor are not the same thing. Just like alligators aren't amphibians. Fossil fuels are not rocks. But, thanks for attempting to play...
28-06-2022 01:53
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
Edited on 28-06-2022 01:55
28-06-2022 03:48
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The job, is to dig a thousand foot long drainage ditch... One man on an excavator can do the job in a day. How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? Manpower and manual labor are not the same thing. Just like alligators aren't amphibians. Fossil fuels are not rocks. But, thanks for attempting to play...

Approximately two years. Most of that is spent fighting with the government to get the permits necessary.

Since no specifications for said drainage ditch was given, the actual work required is unknown. An excavator and associated trucks may require anything from a couple of days to several months, depending on how large, how deep, and whether said ditch requires the installation of culverts, whether it will impede traffic to install it, etc.

If you assume said ditch is strictly on private land, permitting required is pretty minimal. You should perform a check of other utilities in the vicinity before you start digging though. You can start that process by calling 811 and using a web site. Marking crews will come out and mark things like power lines, gas lines, water lines, sewage lines, etc. that may be damaged by the project. They typically take up to a month to complete their checks and mark the area.

If you assume the ditch to be no more than a couple of feet deep and about the width of a typical backhoe bucket, then a large backhoe can complete 1000 ft in a couple of days. Said ditch must be built as a narrow swale or it will just cave in on itself.

Trucks will be needed to haul the dirt away and possibly to bring in drainage rock. These can typically haul about 14 tons of material, and you will need about 20 trips.

Digging such a ditch by hand is not practical. At the very least, you still need the trucks.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
28-06-2022 08:54
(5197)
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.

An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...
28-06-2022 18:21
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...

What is an escalator

So if I need a ditch dug on my property I must have an escalator built for that job?

wow you are stupid

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

28-06-2022 19:34
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What is an escalator

So if I need a ditch dug on my property I must have an escalator built for that job?

He's probably a victim of autocorrect.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
28-06-2022 20:24
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What is an escalator

You are both victims of your parent's DNA

ULTRA MAGA

28-06-2022 20:39
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What is an escalator

You are a victim of Google.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
28-06-2022 21:13
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What is an escalator

LOL Google's parent company is Alphabet, whos stock is about to split 20 for 1.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Next

ULTRA MAGA

28-06-2022 23:07
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
Swan wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What is an escalator

Next

I will not argue. Google/Alphabet has been a great investment return for those who have decided money was more important than taking a stand against corporations that are in bed with the lunatic left fringe.

You go ahead and keep supporting Biden retheft campaign. I hope you make millions so you can just buy your eggplant.

28-06-2022 23:38
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What is an escalator

Next

I will not argue. Google/Alphabet has been a great investment return for those who have decided money was more important than taking a stand against corporations that are in bed with the lunatic left fringe.

You go ahead and keep supporting Biden retheft campaign. I hope you make millions so you can just buy your eggplant.

Actually home grown tomatoes are priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJxsxaCzeRE

CIAO

ULTRA MAGA

29-06-2022 01:14
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I assume you meant 'excavator' and probably had some trouble with some auto-correction feature.

Excavators are not designed to do one job. They are designed to do that job over and over very well. Different kinds of excavators do different kinds of jobs.

All but a few of them are quite capable of loading a truck.

Some are better at handling rocks than others. Some are better at narrow trenches, while others are better at wider ditches and swales. Some are better designed for the more precise job of trenching for a foundation. Some are designed for wider excavations, such as cut and fill operations while building roads or even freeways.

All of them are excavators.

On the other hand, escalators must be custom built for each installation.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 29-06-2022 01:16
29-06-2022 01:24
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I assume you meant 'excavator' and probably had some trouble with some auto-correction feature.

Excavators are not designed to do one job. They are designed to do that job over and over very well. Different kinds of excavators do different kinds of jobs.

Some are better at handling rocks than others. Some are better at narrow trenches, while others are better at wider ditches and swales. Some are better designed for the more precise job of trenching for a foundation. Some are designed for wider excavations, such as cut and fill operations while building roads or even freeways.

Escalators are not all custom built, in fact in most instances the building is built to fit a premade specked model escalator.

Next

ULTRA MAGA

29-06-2022 18:57
(21599)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Escalators are not all custom built, in fact in most instances the building is built to fit a premade specked model escalator.

Next

There aren't any.

The Parrot Killer

29-06-2022 23:09
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Next

There aren't any.

Another delusion

ULTRA MAGA

29-06-2022 23:47
(21599)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Next

There aren't any.

Another delusion

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You think a picture of an escalator somehow proves it wasn't built as custom unit for that building????????????!?

The Parrot Killer

30-06-2022 00:55
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Next

There aren't any.

Another delusion

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You think a picture of an escalator somehow proves it wasn't built as custom unit for that building????????????!?

The designing cost would potentially be in the millions before the cost of creating the escalator itself. There is no reason for a builder to incur this cost as they can opt for a premade unit that can easily be expanded or shrunk by adding or removing steps. The width and height of steps is however controlled by building codes anyway so these are fixed.

But you keep babbling away as you designed the slides at mickydees

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 30-06-2022 00:57
30-06-2022 08:51
(21599)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Next

There aren't any.

Another delusion

The designing cost would potentially be in the millions before the cost of creating the escalator itself. There is no reason for a builder to incur this cost as they can opt for a premade unit that can easily be expanded or shrunk by adding or removing steps. The width and height of steps is however controlled by building codes anyway so these are fixed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What makes you think blueprints or custom installation COST MILLIONS OF DOLLARS????????!?

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 30-06-2022 08:54
30-06-2022 13:10
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Next

There aren't any.

Another delusion

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What makes you think blueprints or custom installation COST MILLIONS OF DOLLARS????????!?

I think all the time, you should try it.

What makes you think that a custom elevator or escalator does not cost millions of dollars? Other than you do not think of course.

CIAO

https://www.therichest.com/luxury/going-up-most-luxurious-elevators-in-the-world/

ULTRA MAGA

30-06-2022 21:46
(21599)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Next

There aren't any.

Another delusion

What makes you think that a custom elevator or escalator does not cost millions of dollars? Other than you do not think of course.

You obviously don't think at all.

Current installation prices. That's what.

I realize that you are unfamiliar with that market and you decided to just make up a number and use it as data (an argument from randU fallacy).

At current prices you can have an escalator installed in an average lift distance of 10-12 ft for about a quarter million these days. Each installation is custom designed for that application.

The machine they use to make the custom length moving handrails is pretty cool to watch.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 30-06-2022 21:47
30-06-2022 22:09
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Next

There aren't any.

Another delusion

You obviously don't think at all.

Current installation prices. That's what.

I realize that you are unfamiliar with that market and you decided to just make up a number and use it as data (an argument from randU fallacy).

At current prices you can have an escalator installed in an average lift distance of 10-12 ft for about a quarter million these days. Each installation is custom designed for that application.

The machine they use to make the custom length moving handrails is pretty cool to watch.

You pay your mortgage yet this month?

I didn't

CIAO

ULTRA MAGA

Join the debate The Great Flood: The Sequel:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Great photo of Nicholas Copernicus1806-01-2024 01:20
Great Barrier Reef2916-06-2023 11:16
Target chose to sell faggy wear and just lost 9 billion dollars. Life is great327-05-2023 22:12
Drought/flood relief...2624-11-2022 21:04
GREAT NEWS, TRUMP IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT IN 2024, IF ELECTED HE WILL PULL OUT OF THE PARIS ACCORDS AGAI2619-11-2022 03:21
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact