Remember me
▼ Content

The Great Flood: The Sequel


The Great Flood: The Sequel24-06-2022 03:30
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(4259)
https://hackaday.com/2022/06/23/sea-level-rise-from-melting-ice-sheets-could-soon-be-locked-in/

Of prime concern is the Thwaites Glacier, which scientists have nicknamed the "Doomsday Glacier" for the perceived danger it poses. The glacier is held back, particularly in the east, by a large floating ice shelf. This slows the flow of the glacier and helps keep it stable. The floating ice shelf is further aided in this task as it sits against a large underwater mountain, acting as a brace.

Recently, scientists have noted that the floating ice shelf is showing worrying signs of deterioration. Large cracks have been spiderwebbing across the ice, prompting concerns for the long-term stability of the shelf. The effect is similar to cracks in a window; once they reach a certain point, the entire glass just shatters. Compounding the problem, the ice shelf appears to be losing its grip on the underwater mountain holding it in place as warmer waters melt the sheet from below.


When land ice sits on ground beneath sea level, it can let seawater in underneath if the ice sheet isn't heavier than the denser seawater it would otherwise displace. This water then melts the ice from below at an increasing rate as the grounding line moves further inland. Credit: NASA, public domain
The Thwaites Glacier is already responsible for about 4% of global sea level rise each year. The concern is that with the loss of the floating ice shelf, the glacier could increase its flows towards the ocean, increasing up to 5% of sea level rise in the short term alone. Scientists currently expect the ice shelf to break up within the next 5 years or so.


I suspect melting ice, during the summer months, is the least of our worries. We still have 2 1/2 years of Biden destroying our country.
24-06-2022 04:05
SwanProfile picture★★★★☆
(1528)
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://hackaday.com/2022/06/23/sea-level-rise-from-melting-ice-sheets-could-soon-be-locked-in/

Of prime concern is the Thwaites Glacier, which scientists have nicknamed the "Doomsday Glacier" for the perceived danger it poses. The glacier is held back, particularly in the east, by a large floating ice shelf. This slows the flow of the glacier and helps keep it stable. The floating ice shelf is further aided in this task as it sits against a large underwater mountain, acting as a brace.

Recently, scientists have noted that the floating ice shelf is showing worrying signs of deterioration. Large cracks have been spiderwebbing across the ice, prompting concerns for the long-term stability of the shelf. The effect is similar to cracks in a window; once they reach a certain point, the entire glass just shatters. Compounding the problem, the ice shelf appears to be losing its grip on the underwater mountain holding it in place as warmer waters melt the sheet from below.


When land ice sits on ground beneath sea level, it can let seawater in underneath if the ice sheet isn't heavier than the denser seawater it would otherwise displace. This water then melts the ice from below at an increasing rate as the grounding line moves further inland. Credit: NASA, public domain
The Thwaites Glacier is already responsible for about 4% of global sea level rise each year. The concern is that with the loss of the floating ice shelf, the glacier could increase its flows towards the ocean, increasing up to 5% of sea level rise in the short term alone. Scientists currently expect the ice shelf to break up within the next 5 years or so.


I suspect melting ice, during the summer months, is the least of our worries. We still have 2 1/2 years of Biden destroying our country.


Actually Antarctic ice shelves break off when they get too big not because they are melting


This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop.
25-06-2022 14:46
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(4259)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://hackaday.com/2022/06/23/sea-level-rise-from-melting-ice-sheets-could-soon-be-locked-in/

Of prime concern is the Thwaites Glacier, which scientists have nicknamed the "Doomsday Glacier" for the perceived danger it poses. The glacier is held back, particularly in the east, by a large floating ice shelf. This slows the flow of the glacier and helps keep it stable. The floating ice shelf is further aided in this task as it sits against a large underwater mountain, acting as a brace.

Recently, scientists have noted that the floating ice shelf is showing worrying signs of deterioration. Large cracks have been spiderwebbing across the ice, prompting concerns for the long-term stability of the shelf. The effect is similar to cracks in a window; once they reach a certain point, the entire glass just shatters. Compounding the problem, the ice shelf appears to be losing its grip on the underwater mountain holding it in place as warmer waters melt the sheet from below.


When land ice sits on ground beneath sea level, it can let seawater in underneath if the ice sheet isn't heavier than the denser seawater it would otherwise displace. This water then melts the ice from below at an increasing rate as the grounding line moves further inland. Credit: NASA, public domain
The Thwaites Glacier is already responsible for about 4% of global sea level rise each year. The concern is that with the loss of the floating ice shelf, the glacier could increase its flows towards the ocean, increasing up to 5% of sea level rise in the short term alone. Scientists currently expect the ice shelf to break up within the next 5 years or so.


I suspect melting ice, during the summer months, is the least of our worries. We still have 2 1/2 years of Biden destroying our country.


Actually Antarctic ice shelves break off when they get too big not because they are melting


Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor. Idle hands, are the devils workshop... With all the free time and energy, many people used it to screw other people over to get rich.
25-06-2022 19:44
James_
★★★☆☆
(918)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor. Idle hands, are the devils workshop... With all the free time and energy, many people used it to screw other people over to get rich.



That sounds like Republicans. So why aren't you rich Harvey?
25-06-2022 22:38
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(11965)
HarveyH55 wrote:Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor.

Harvey, this is not true. Advancing technology and new machines does not reduce the need for manpower. Not even automation reduces the need for manpower; in fact, it increases it.

The crisis that was brought about by the Industrial Revolution was the extremely rapid change of demand. Instead of the value one had in his skills of craftsmanship, the demand was now for labor with machines. Totally different.

With machines comes the need for highly skilled technical people to engineer those machines and to perform maintenance on those machines, i.e. a huge demand, body of knowledge and skill set that did not previously exist.

When people are freed of laborious tasks, they can devote time and effort to higher-level thinking and planning.

.
26-06-2022 17:39
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(4259)
James_ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor. Idle hands, are the devils workshop... With all the free time and energy, many people used it to screw other people over to get rich.



That sounds like Republicans. So why aren't you rich Harvey?


Depends on what you value most, how you define 'rich'. Money isn't the only thing people value. I have everything I need, and enough money to do what I want. If Biden would keep his hands off my 401k, I'd probably do alright after retirement. What good is spending your life accumulating wealth (money), if only to leave it for others to spend, frivalously? The money you had to work for, has greater value. 'Free-money', other people's money, is real easy to spend.

Your income is limited, but labor-free. You'll get rich, if you ever spend the free time, and limited resources on on of your many Nobel Prize projects. We could really use that gravity-wheel right now, since gas prices are only going to climb, under Biden. They won't fall much after either.
28-06-2022 00:47
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(18679)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor.

Harvey, this is not true. Advancing technology and new machines does not reduce the need for manpower. Not even automation reduces the need for manpower; in fact, it increases it.

The crisis that was brought about by the Industrial Revolution was the extremely rapid change of demand. Instead of the value one had in his skills of craftsmanship, the demand was now for labor with machines. Totally different.

With machines comes the need for highly skilled technical people to engineer those machines and to perform maintenance on those machines, i.e. a huge demand, body of knowledge and skill set that did not previously exist.


When people are freed of laborious tasks, they can devote time and effort to higher-level thinking and planning.


Quite right.

Crafting things by hand is very expensive, and difficult to reproduce parts for maintaining an item. Such items were very costly.

The production line made things cheaper so many more people could afford the product. The craftsman became engineers, designing the products and even the assembly line itself.

MORE people employed. MORE productivity. CHEAPER product. All around a good thing. Because of the assembly line, products such as the personal computer became possible, with each of the literally thousands of engineers and even more technicians that make it all work.

Yes...the product line brought many more jobs. Jobs that didn't take a lifetime to learn and master. All while making products that these workers could purchase now that they were much cheaper.

And the craftsman? They are still there. They still make stuff by hand of beautiful quality that no production line can reproduce. Now, of course, they benefit from better made tools and other products made available by that assembly line.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 28-06-2022 00:49
28-06-2022 01:39
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(4259)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor.

Harvey, this is not true. Advancing technology and new machines does not reduce the need for manpower. Not even automation reduces the need for manpower; in fact, it increases it.

The crisis that was brought about by the Industrial Revolution was the extremely rapid change of demand. Instead of the value one had in his skills of craftsmanship, the demand was now for labor with machines. Totally different.

With machines comes the need for highly skilled technical people to engineer those machines and to perform maintenance on those machines, i.e. a huge demand, body of knowledge and skill set that did not previously exist.

When people are freed of laborious tasks, they can devote time and effort to higher-level thinking and planning.

.


The job, is to dig a thousand foot long drainage ditch... One man on an excavator can do the job in a day. How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? Manpower and manual labor are not the same thing. Just like alligators aren't amphibians. Fossil fuels are not rocks. But, thanks for attempting to play...
28-06-2022 01:53
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2481)
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


Studies show that if you force several tubs of peanut butter down the throats of newborns, in some cases it could potentially be toxic. In cities where infant-PB-stuffing is more common, infant deaths increased by over 47% with corresponding increases in dead-infant obesity.. -IBdaMann
Edited on 28-06-2022 01:55
28-06-2022 03:48
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(18679)
HarveyH55 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:Polar ice has melted an reformed for as long as there has been ice at the poles. The industrial revolution did cause a crisis. It reduced the need for a lot of manual labor.

Harvey, this is not true. Advancing technology and new machines does not reduce the need for manpower. Not even automation reduces the need for manpower; in fact, it increases it.

The crisis that was brought about by the Industrial Revolution was the extremely rapid change of demand. Instead of the value one had in his skills of craftsmanship, the demand was now for labor with machines. Totally different.

With machines comes the need for highly skilled technical people to engineer those machines and to perform maintenance on those machines, i.e. a huge demand, body of knowledge and skill set that did not previously exist.

When people are freed of laborious tasks, they can devote time and effort to higher-level thinking and planning.

.


The job, is to dig a thousand foot long drainage ditch... One man on an excavator can do the job in a day. How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? Manpower and manual labor are not the same thing. Just like alligators aren't amphibians. Fossil fuels are not rocks. But, thanks for attempting to play...

Approximately two years. Most of that is spent fighting with the government to get the permits necessary.

Since no specifications for said drainage ditch was given, the actual work required is unknown. An excavator and associated trucks may require anything from a couple of days to several months, depending on how large, how deep, and whether said ditch requires the installation of culverts, whether it will impede traffic to install it, etc.

If you assume said ditch is strictly on private land, permitting required is pretty minimal. You should perform a check of other utilities in the vicinity before you start digging though. You can start that process by calling 811 and using a web site. Marking crews will come out and mark things like power lines, gas lines, water lines, sewage lines, etc. that may be damaged by the project. They typically take up to a month to complete their checks and mark the area.

If you assume the ditch to be no more than a couple of feet deep and about the width of a typical backhoe bucket, then a large backhoe can complete 1000 ft in a couple of days. Said ditch must be built as a narrow swale or it will just cave in on itself.

Trucks will be needed to haul the dirt away and possibly to bring in drainage rock. These can typically haul about 14 tons of material, and you will need about 20 trips.

Digging such a ditch by hand is not practical. At the very least, you still need the trucks.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
28-06-2022 08:54
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(4259)
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...
28-06-2022 18:21
SwanProfile picture★★★★☆
(1528)
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...


What is an escalator

So if I need a ditch dug on my property I must have an escalator built for that job?

wow you are stupid


This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop.
28-06-2022 19:34
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(11965)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...


What is an escalator

So if I need a ditch dug on my property I must have an escalator built for that job?

He's probably a victim of autocorrect.


I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
28-06-2022 20:24
SwanProfile picture★★★★☆
(1528)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...


What is an escalator

So if I need a ditch dug on my property I must have an escalator built for that job?

He's probably a victim of autocorrect.


You are both victims of your parent's DNA


This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop.
28-06-2022 20:39
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2481)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...


What is an escalator

So if I need a ditch dug on my property I must have an escalator built for that job?

He's probably a victim of autocorrect.


You are both victims of your parent's DNA

You are a victim of Google.


Studies show that if you force several tubs of peanut butter down the throats of newborns, in some cases it could potentially be toxic. In cities where infant-PB-stuffing is more common, infant deaths increased by over 47% with corresponding increases in dead-infant obesity.. -IBdaMann
28-06-2022 21:13
SwanProfile picture★★★★☆
(1528)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...


What is an escalator

So if I need a ditch dug on my property I must have an escalator built for that job?

He's probably a victim of autocorrect.


You are both victims of your parent's DNA

You are a victim of Google.


LOL Google's parent company is Alphabet, whos stock is about to split 20 for 1.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Next


This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop.
28-06-2022 23:07
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2481)
Swan wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...


What is an escalator

So if I need a ditch dug on my property I must have an escalator built for that job?

He's probably a victim of autocorrect.


You are both victims of your parent's DNA

You are a victim of Google.


LOL Google's parent company is Alphabet, whos stock is about to split 20 for 1.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Next


I will not argue. Google/Alphabet has been a great investment return for those who have decided money was more important than taking a stand against corporations that are in bed with the lunatic left fringe.

You go ahead and keep supporting Biden retheft campaign. I hope you make millions so you can just buy your eggplant.


Studies show that if you force several tubs of peanut butter down the throats of newborns, in some cases it could potentially be toxic. In cities where infant-PB-stuffing is more common, infant deaths increased by over 47% with corresponding increases in dead-infant obesity.. -IBdaMann
28-06-2022 23:38
SwanProfile picture★★★★☆
(1528)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...


What is an escalator

So if I need a ditch dug on my property I must have an escalator built for that job?

He's probably a victim of autocorrect.


You are both victims of your parent's DNA

You are a victim of Google.


LOL Google's parent company is Alphabet, whos stock is about to split 20 for 1.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Next


I will not argue. Google/Alphabet has been a great investment return for those who have decided money was more important than taking a stand against corporations that are in bed with the lunatic left fringe.

You go ahead and keep supporting Biden retheft campaign. I hope you make millions so you can just buy your eggplant.


Actually home grown tomatoes are priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJxsxaCzeRE

CIAO


This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop.
29-06-2022 01:14
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(18679)
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...


I assume you meant 'excavator' and probably had some trouble with some auto-correction feature.

Excavators are not designed to do one job. They are designed to do that job over and over very well. Different kinds of excavators do different kinds of jobs.

All but a few of them are quite capable of loading a truck.

Some are better at handling rocks than others. Some are better at narrow trenches, while others are better at wider ditches and swales. Some are better designed for the more precise job of trenching for a foundation. Some are designed for wider excavations, such as cut and fill operations while building roads or even freeways.

All of them are excavators.


On the other hand, escalators must be custom built for each installation.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 29-06-2022 01:16
29-06-2022 01:24
SwanProfile picture★★★★☆
(1528)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many men with picks and shovels would you need to accomplish the same task, in the same time frame? .

Roughly the same number of men and women it takes to design, build, operate, maintain, and repair the excavator.


An escalator can only be used for one job? And must be designed and built for each job? Amphibian thinking...


I assume you meant 'excavator' and probably had some trouble with some auto-correction feature.

Excavators are not designed to do one job. They are designed to do that job over and over very well. Different kinds of excavators do different kinds of jobs.

All but a few of them are quite capable of loading a truck.

Some are better at handling rocks than others. Some are better at narrow trenches, while others are better at wider ditches and swales. Some are better designed for the more precise job of trenching for a foundation. Some are designed for wider excavations, such as cut and fill operations while building roads or even freeways.

All of them are excavators.


On the other hand, escalators must be custom built for each installation.


Escalators are not all custom built, in fact in most instances the building is built to fit a premade specked model escalator.

Next


This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop.




Join the debate The Great Flood: The Sequel:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Great news, Putin is destroying everything that Hunter Biden owns423-03-2022 01:22
The True Reason Behind The Russia Ukraine War Is The Great Economic Reset System013-03-2022 06:45
The Big Tech Companies Make The China Great Internet Firewall Look Like A Good Angel702-12-2021 08:05
The Great Economy Money Reset Will Kick Off With Various Numeral Systems Return Back To The Land1522-06-2021 20:06
The Corona Virus NCOVID Pandemic Is Bringing A Great Opportunity For A Fairer International Trading Syste127-09-2020 03:47
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact