Remember me
▼ Content

the borg

Page 3 of 3<123
10-04-2023 15:11
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
Spongy Iris wrote:Ok here is another example. If I buy something online, I'm going to get targeted with ads for that item, and similar items, in short order.

Is that AI?

Targeting you with ads is not AI, but yes, AI has occurred prior to that when you made your purchase, and in fact occurred as you were browsing prior to making your purchase. All data involving your shopping experience, to include those things at which you looked, the amount of time you looked at them, the pages on which you drilled down further, and which items you ended up purchasing are streamed real time to a repository for metrics analysis, and then all that data is translated into data points that join many, many other data points on a multidimensional graph. At this point, analytics are performed on the countless data points on the graph in a process called "deep learning." Complex regression algorithms find patterns amongst the points on the graph, and those patterns are what provide intelligent insights. That is the AI that occurs from your browsing and purchase experience.

Then, with those new insights that take into account your preferences as well as everybody else's, your personal consumer preferences are compared to the newly generated insights, and recommendations are thus made for you based off that comparison/analysis ... and the result is the set of ads that you receive. This part is not AI; it is a simple, straightforward algorithm.

11-04-2023 19:34
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:Any attempt to describe/explain the logic of an AI application will be incomprehensible.

Is the SIRI or ALEXA app on my phone an example of AI?

No. Into the Night already covered this. SIRI and ALEXA are regular internet searches, just using voice recognition as an interface instead of your keyboard. They combine internet searches with "settings" and the voice recognition interface can issue commands as well by recognizing verbs in your speech.

A good example is your ability to just know when a child/teenager is lying to you (which is actually a belief that he is lying). You don't think about it, you don't engage any philosophy and you don't follow any sort of algorithm. You just "know." If asked "how do you know", you might "chalk it up to experience" or just resign yourself to something like "it was obvious" but the fact remains that your brain simply gave you an answer, with an accompnaying degree of certainty/possibility of error.

When developing software to replicate "recognition" of this nature, e.g. hearing a voice and "recognizing" words of a language resulting in understanding a message, or seeing a video stream, "recognizing" a particular animal resulting in an understanding that it is hunting, etc.., one does not develop an algorithm in standard fashion. One creates a (now) standard "neural net" which is trained (refined) via machine learning and continuously improved (made more accurate).

AI is of value because it enables humans to extend human "recognition" into data that is normally unintelligible. If I were to show you a 3-D grid of 243,888,345 data points, it would not tell you anything whereas an AI system can discern thousands of major patterns, and patterns within patterns, and construct visualizations (pie charts, quad graphs, timelines, etc..) that bring all of those insights to you in a form you can understand.

The reason AI is really big today is that we have transitioned to a world of BIG DATA, and businesses find that they need to make decisions based on overwhelming data that is nothing but confusing ... to humans. So they turn the data over to mature AI systems that discern the patterns, provide the analyses, render projections and elucidate impacts to any anticipated or possible changes.

Ok here is another example. If I buy something online, I'm going to get targeted with ads for that item, and similar items, in short order.

Is that AI?

LOL all you need to do is delete your cookies and that stops.

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
11-04-2023 20:11
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
What about false information or glitches? That kind of thing never goes away. In those cases a wrong analysis or wrong conclusion affects SO many people.
11-04-2023 21:45
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Ok here is another example. If I buy something online, I'm going to get targeted with ads for that item, and similar items, in short order.

Is that AI?

Right. Well going by your comments, it seems like the consciousness of every human being is an AI program. And so is humanity's overarching hive mind.

Edited on 11-04-2023 21:46
11-04-2023 22:08
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Is that AI?

Right. Well going by your comments, it seems like the consciousness of every human being is an AI program. And so is humanity's overarching hive mind.

It is not just human beings that are AI, but every living creature is an example of God's programming. This view is shared by 85 percent of the World's population by the way

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

11-04-2023 22:15
(1643)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Is that AI?

It is not just human beings that are AI, but every living creature is an example of God's programming. This view is shared by 85 percent of the World's population by the way

But it's possible for a human being to break its programming. Wake up from its sleep, so to speak. Defeat the Enterprise.

Edited on 11-04-2023 22:26
11-04-2023 23:36
(1643)
Speaking of Star Trek TNG stories containing veiled esoteric lessons for life, I reference episode 22 of season 2, called, Shades of Gray.

Plot.

During a geological survey on Surata IV, Commander William Riker is struck by a thorn growing on a motile vine plant. The away team immediately beams back to the Enterprise, where Dr. Katherine Pulaski finds out that the thorn has released a deadly virus into Riker's body. Within a matter of hours, the virus will reach Riker's brain, killing him. To try to save Riker's life, Pulaski puts him into a machine that will artificially stimulate his brain neurons, keeping them active and resisting the virus. This causes Riker to dream of his past adventures aboard the Enterprise. Riker's first dreams are of reasonably neutral occasions, such as his first meeting with Lieutenant Commander Data. He soon moves on to more passionate and even erotic dreams, such as meeting the cheerful young Edo women on Rubicon III, the matriarch Beata on Angel One, and the computer-generated holodeck woman.

However, while pleasing to Riker's mind, the passionate dreams only worsen Riker's condition, as the virus feeds on the positive endorphins his brain is creating. Pulaski and Counselor Deanna Troi therefore agree to try to make the machine evoke negative dreams instead. Thus Riker dreams of Lieutenant Tasha Yar's death, and the apparent death of Deanna Troi's child. This has the desired effect, as the negative endorphins drive the virus away, but the endorphins are not strong enough. As a last resort, Pulaski uses the machine to evoke dreams of raw, primitive feelings of fear and survival. Thus Riker dreams of fighting the tar creature Armus, the alien-controlled Admiral Gregory Quinn, and the Klingon officer Klag on board the warship Pagh. Seeing that the raw emotions work best, Pulaski intensifies the dreams to come at a more rapid pace. This finally kills the virus and Riker recovers.

Critic Reaction

"Shades of Gray" is widely regarded as the worst episode of the series, with critics calling it "god-awful" and a "travesty"

My comment

Goes to show you how people react when they are implicitly told how to break their programming.

Edited on 12-04-2023 00:11
12-04-2023 00:50
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Is that AI?

But it's possible for a human being to break its programming. Wake up from its sleep, so to speak. Defeat the Enterprise.

Some are saying that we are waking up to the simulation that we are as the universe that we are part of cannot be mathematically proved to exist.

LOL, you have a better chance of jerking off and having your jism hit the ceiling than you do of defeating the Enterprise.

Silly

ULTRA MAGA

12-04-2023 01:59
(1643)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Is that AI?

LOL, you have a better chance of jerking off and having your jism hit the ceiling than you do of defeating the Enterprise.

Silly

Everybody has to conquer their demons on their own. Everybody has their cross not to bear. Do you know what you mention is what they mean by, "Give up the ghost?"

12-04-2023 03:06
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Is that AI?

Silly

Everybody has to conquer their demons on their own. Everybody has their cross not to bear. Do you know what you mention is what they mean by, "Give up the ghost?"

By all means have a go at defeating the Enterprise, but you will not be giving up the ghost, you will be creating at least one more.

Enjoy, but do watch out for the antigravity stuff, not that you will actually see it before creating another ghost

ULTRA MAGA

12-04-2023 03:27
(1643)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Is that AI?

Silly

By all means have a go at defeating the Enterprise, but you will not be giving up the ghost, you will be creating at least one more.

Enjoy, but do watch out for the antigravity stuff, not that you will actually see it before creating another ghost

You must be speaking of the Holy Ghost.

12-04-2023 03:57
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Is that AI?

Silly

You must be speaking of the Holy Ghost.

Or you must be stoopud

ULTRA MAGA

16-04-2023 07:32
(14414)
Spongy Iris wrote:You must be speaking of the Holy Ghost.

I'm betting he doesn't look like this:
Attached image:

17-04-2023 19:40
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
The CEO of google was on 60 minutes last night and said that ai learned the bengladesh language even though no one asked it to do that.
It reminded me of when google andswered a question of mine and said, "i don't know the answer to that question but i'm LEARNING".
18-04-2023 16:04
(14414)
keepit wrote: The CEO of google was on 60 minutes last night and said that ai learned the bengladesh language even though no one asked it to do that.

Operative words: "nobody asked..." * It was told (programmed) to do it.

Nobody ever asks software how it would prefer to be programmed or what it would prefer to accomplish.

keepit wrote:It reminded me of when google andswered a question of mine and said, "i don't know the answer to that question but i'm LEARNING".

This episode of Sesame Street was brought to you by the word database.
19-04-2023 18:30
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
The concerns about ai are concern about what ai will be like in the (maybe in some secret lab ai now has free will of some sort).\
The comments about ai on this site are backward looking and noone is really concerned about that.
19-04-2023 19:08
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
keepit wrote:
The CEO of google was on 60 minutes last night and said that ai learned the bengladesh language even though no one asked it to do that.
It reminded me of when google andswered a question of mine and said, "i don't know the answer to that question but i'm LEARNING".

Google is huge, thousands of employees, several divisions, contractors, people working from home. The CEO doesn't know every little detail. Most are basically Joe Biden, reading what was prepared for them, sign what's put on his desk. He needs to assure shareholders they are still strong, and keeping up with the competition.
20-04-2023 11:34
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
keepit wrote:
The concerns about ai are concern about what ai will be like in the (maybe in some secret lab ai now has free will of some sort).\
The comments about ai on this site are backward looking and noone is really concerned about that.

AI is not free will and doesn't have free will.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
20-04-2023 11:36
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
keepit wrote:

Google is huge, thousands of employees, several divisions, contractors, people working from home. The CEO doesn't know every little detail. Most are basically Joe Biden, reading what was prepared for them, sign what's put on his desk. He needs to assure shareholders they are still strong, and keeping up with the competition.

There's a lot of truth to that. Google in many ways is woefully behind the state of the art.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
20-04-2023 17:06
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
I made a misprint in omitting the word "future" in talking about ai in the previous post. I meant to say future ai. By the way it really doesn't matter what you call it, whether it's ai or "future robots with intelligence and free will". It's what they will do that is the point, not what you call them. Try not to miss the point. That is what ai would do (miss the point")..
20-04-2023 19:43
(21599)
keepit wrote:
I made a misprint in omitting the word "future" in talking about ai in the previous post. I meant to say future ai. By the way it really doesn't matter what you call it, whether it's ai or "future robots with intelligence and free will". It's what they will do that is the point, not what you call them. Try not to miss the point. That is what ai would do (miss the point")..

You are not making a point. Mantra 40c.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 20-04-2023 19:45
20-04-2023 19:58
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
I guess you must be missing the point. I wasn't typing random words you know.
20-04-2023 20:11
(14414)
Into the Night wrote:AI is not free will and doesn't have free will.

Correct. AI is not a will. AI is an emulation ... of "intelligence*." Which "will" governs the emulated intelligence? The will of the software developer.

For some reason, there appears to be an assumption that it is somehow legitimate to conflate "intelligence" with "volition" ... and to then believe that a new, separate "will" can somehow be emulated ... not mere intelligence, but a separate will.

AI is not a will.

* - "intelligence" might very well be history's most popular undefined buzzword. Nobody knows exactly what it is and thus, the definitions of AI are more varied than species of insects. OK, that was a bit of an exaggeration, but the de facto legitimacy of the word "intelligence" leads to many other terms being presumed to be legitimiate, e.g. IQ, which Swan believes is a thing and which he believes he has, which he believes is measured at 130, a value which he believes has meaning ... which tells you how he is likely to believe he has omniscience concerning unobserved events of the distant past ... which he believes transforms mere stones into something so much more.
20-04-2023 20:27
(21599)
keepit wrote:
I guess you must be missing the point. I wasn't typing random words you know.

You are still not making a point.

The Parrot Killer

20-04-2023 20:29
(21599)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:AI is not free will and doesn't have free will.

Correct. AI is not a will. AI is an emulation ... of "intelligence*." Which "will" governs the emulated intelligence? The will of the software developer.

For some reason, there appears to be an assumption that it is somehow legitimate to conflate "intelligence" with "volition" ... and to then believe that a new, separate "will" can somehow be emulated ... not mere intelligence, but a separate will.

AI is not a will.

* - "intelligence" might very well be history's most popular undefined buzzword. Nobody knows exactly what it is and thus, the definitions of AI are more varied than species of insects. OK, that was a bit of an exaggeration, but the de facto legitimacy of the word "intelligence" leads to many other terms being presumed to be legitimiate, e.g. IQ, which Swan believes is a thing and which he believes he has, which he believes is measured at 130, a value which he believes has meaning ... which tells you how he is likely to believe he has omniscience concerning unobserved events of the distant past ... which he believes transforms mere stones into something so much more.

Well said.

The Parrot Killer

21-04-2023 07:05
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:

It's symbolic for a man who is hung red.

21-04-2023 15:04
(14414)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

It's symbolic for a man who is hung red.

Matthew 25:35 - "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in."
Page 3 of 3<123

Join the debate the borg:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
How are the Borg not Democrats1318-12-2020 21:51
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact