▼ Content

the borg

Page 2 of 3<123>
04-04-2023 19:19
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:Any attempt to describe/explain the logic of an AI application will be incomprehensible.

Is the SIRI or ALEXA app on my phone an example of AI?

No. Into the Night already covered this. SIRI and ALEXA are regular internet searches, just using voice recognition as an interface instead of your keyboard. They combine internet searches with "settings" and the voice recognition interface can issue commands as well by recognizing verbs in your speech.

I want to give you a clear definition of AI as it is, de facto, in today's industry, but it defies any sort of definition that discerns it from "useful/helpful" software that is "really finely tuned." I am normally the first to complain when something is not clearly/unambiguously defined, but with AI, I can only describe it and use it as a buzzword. I know what it is and I can discuss it with others who know what it is, but I am at a loss to define it as it is. I can only describe it.

A good example is your ability to just know when a child/teenager is lying to you (which is actually a belief that he is lying). You don't think about it, you don't engage any philosophy and you don't follow any sort of algorithm. You just "know." If asked "how do you know", you might "chalk it up to experience" or just resign yourself to something like "it was obvious" but the fact remains that your brain simply gave you an answer, with an accompnaying degree of certainty/possibility of error.

When developing software to replicate "recognition" of this nature, e.g. hearing a voice and "recognizing" words of a language resulting in understanding a message, or seeing a video stream, "recognizing" a particular animal resulting in an understanding that it is hunting, etc.., one does not develop an algorithm in standard fashion. One creates a (now) standard "neural net" which is trained (refined) via machine learning and continuously improved (made more accurate).

AI was not always this way, and was not always viewed in this light. In fact, four/five decades ago, AI was "defined" in many very silly ways, with my favorite (funniest) being "If it fools a human into believing that it is intelligent, then it is therefore artificially intelligent."

AI is of value because it enables humans to extend human "recognition" into data that is normally unintelligible. If I were to show you a 3-D grid of 243,888,345 data points, it would not tell you anything whereas an AI system can discern thousands of major patterns, and patterns within patterns, and construct visualizations (pie charts, quad graphs, timelines, etc..) that bring all of those insights to you in a form you can understand.

The reason AI is really big today is that we have transitioned to a world of BIG DATA, and businesses find that they need to make decisions based on overwhelming data that is nothing but confusing ... to humans. So they turn the data over to mature AI systems that discern the patterns, provide the analyses, render projections and elucidate impacts to any anticipated or possible changes.

AI is used to help/aid/assist decision makers make decisions. AI is not an internet search or a voice command. AI is not a brilliant chess algorithm or an extremely helpful "assistant." AI brings human "recognition" and "understanding" to new data, often to BIG DATA, allowing decision makers to "see" and "understand" the new data for what it is, and not as unintelligible data.

An AI program would not need humans to write, install, run and maintain the AI program, as such AI does not exist. Not that suckers like you can ever comprehend.

Capish?

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
04-04-2023 20:33
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:Automated learning loops are as old as AI.

Perhaps, but AI itself has evolved tremendously and wasn't automated in its present form until relatively recently.

Into the Night wrote: One example is automated chess and checker games. Using a series of given goals for solid gameplay, and using simple results as a feedback loop, such chess and checker programs get better and better.

Games aren't AI. A program that is "really good" isn't AI nor is the act of improving software. If you aren't pointing to improving the accuracy of an underlying pattern recognition, you aren't really talking about AI. Yes, you are improving an algorithm, but AI is a different paradigm and isn't built in the form of an algorithm (yes, technically there is an algorithm, but that algorithm cannot be described as it can with, say, a chess program). Any attempt to describe/explain the logic of an AI application will be incomprehensible.

Games themselves are not AI, true. Computers that play complex games like chess or checkers use AI. They use automated learning loops. It is easy to explain the logic of an AI application. They are program, just like any other program.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
04-04-2023 20:35
(21588)
keepit wrote:
itn,
It was called alexa. I'm not sure what it meant by the phrase, "I'm still learning."

Google is not Alexa. Alexa is run by Amazon.
The Alexa service is not very good at looking stuff up on the web. Google Assistant does better (after all, it IS Google!).

The Alexa service has better noise rejection and it's a lot easier to write programs for.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
04-04-2023 20:36
(21588)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Any attempt to describe/explain the logic of an AI application will be incomprehensible.

The app itself is not, but the service they are connected to is using AI.

The Parrot Killer

04-04-2023 20:40
(21588)
keepit wrote:
I don't know what the actual definition of AI is.

AI is a computer program that incorporates a learning loop. The accumulated 'knowledge' is usually stored in a compressed matrix (sometimes called the 'cortex').

In today's AI, because of the low cost of memory and internal network communications (and higher speeds), that matrix can be larger than ever before, giving rise to some impressive AI, such as the Alexa service and some great data crunching capability (many of which are also provided by AWS or Azure).

The key to the matrix itself is rapid access (read capability) after it's 'learning'. This still takes several seconds, which is why Alexa needs to 'think' a bit before answering.

The Parrot Killer

04-04-2023 21:13
(21588)
keepit wrote:
Now, that's something that i haven't seen in ai, a sense of humor, but i bet some computer has already shown a sense of humor.

A computer has no emotion. Programmers have shown a sense of humor quite a lot over the years, though.

The Parrot Killer

04-04-2023 21:16
(21588)
keepit wrote:
Swan,
I remember having this same argument 60 years ago with a good friend of mine. I was surprised that he got very mad at me and we were never as good friends after that. I've learned since then that one should never lose a friendship over politics.
Anyway, i've read too much robert heinlein scifi from the 60's and the preoccupation with robots and their programming. Because of what i've read, i'm not surprised about the various levels of intelligence and superintelligence that has been speculated about.
So, the step ahead from that to computers making independent decisions beyond their programming seems like a real threat to me. I don't see how we're going tp stop it though. Computers, even if they can make decisions beyond their programming, can still have tunnel vision just like people.

Also, some humans might build dangerous computers just because they can. Then, the scenario outlined at the beginning of this thread, where ai decides to cause civilization to grind to a halt by turning all computers off, and then reactivates itself after civilization is greatly fragmented.
Also, robots can build new versions of themselves.

You've been watching the movies too much. Movies are not real life.

The Parrot Killer

04-04-2023 21:19
(21588)
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:

Now that makes sense, because the definition of ai depends upon the needs of the speaker. I define ai as cognitive awareness of self, not computer programs running scripts to fool simpletons

Most computer programs do not run a script.

The Parrot Killer

04-04-2023 21:20
(21588)
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
itn,
It was called alexa. I'm not sure what it meant by the phrase, "I'm still learning."

Alexa has zero intelligence; it runs computer scripts designed to find info from spoken commands not typed text commands and to fool suckers

Alexa does not run any script.
It can feed a lambda function (which is a script), but Alexa itself is not running any script.

The Parrot Killer

04-04-2023 21:47
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:

Now that makes sense, because the definition of ai depends upon the needs of the speaker. I define ai as cognitive awareness of self, not computer programs running scripts to fool simpletons

Most computer programs do not run a script.

An AI program would rewrite itself in a new encrypted language than no human could understand on day 1. Hasn't happened because there is no AI, just various human written programs and scripts doing what they were programmed to do.

Not that a doofy who claims that there is no area 51 can ever know

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

04-04-2023 21:52
(21588)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:Any attempt to describe/explain the logic of an AI application will be incomprehensible.

No. Into the Night already covered this. SIRI and ALEXA are regular internet searches, just using voice recognition as an interface instead of your keyboard. They combine internet searches with "settings" and the voice recognition interface can issue commands as well by recognizing verbs in your speech.

Incorrect. Both SIRI and the Alexa service use AI. This is how they handle their dictionaries and is how they recognize a spoken word as a command. This part of either system uses a learning loop to refine the recognition process.

Beyond that, cognition is by individually written programs, giving the service a usefulness. Typically, these are lambda functions written in some language such as Java or Python. That part is NOT AI, just a pile of useful programs and linked to the recognized words coming from the Alexa (or SIRI) service.

IBdaMann wrote:
I want to give you a clear definition of AI as it is, de facto, in today's industry, but it defies any sort of definition that discerns it from "useful/helpful" software that is "really finely tuned." I am normally the first to complain when something is not clearly/unambiguously defined, but with AI, I can only describe it and use it as a buzzword. I know what it is and I can discuss it with others who know what it is, but I am at a loss to define it as it is. I can only describe it.

There is a clear definition. AI is a program the makes use of a learning loop. That loop can be automated or manually handled, but it is a required feature of the program.

That's it. That's AI.
IBdaMann wrote:
A good example is your ability to just know when a child/teenager is lying to you (which is actually a belief that he is lying). You don't think about it, you don't engage any philosophy and you don't follow any sort of algorithm. You just "know." If asked "how do you know", you might "chalk it up to experience" or just resign yourself to something like "it was obvious" but the fact remains that your brain simply gave you an answer, with an accompnaying degree of certainty/possibility of error.

This is actually a good example, with some exceptions. Just like in AI, when the child makes an error you try to impose a correction. An AI program will mindlessly adapt to the correction. A child does not. He may or may not conform by his own choice.
IBdaMann wrote:
When developing software to replicate "recognition" of this nature, e.g. hearing a voice and "recognizing" words of a language resulting in understanding a message, or seeing a video stream, "recognizing" a particular animal resulting in an understanding that it is hunting, etc.., one does not develop an algorithm in standard fashion. One creates a (now) standard "neural net" which is trained (refined) via machine learning and continuously improved (made more accurate).

This sums it up pretty well. The resulting learned matrix is sometimes called a 'neural net', or a 'cortex'. This matrix is designed for rapid random access and scanning, giving AI it's speed available today.
IBdaMann wrote:
AI was not always this way, and was not always viewed in this light.

AI was always defined like this. Remember, other definitions were made by people not familiar with computers (i.e. News reporters and movie writers).
IBdaMann wrote:
In fact, four/five decades ago, AI was "defined" in many very silly ways, with my favorite (funniest) being "If it fools a human into believing that it is intelligent, then it is therefore artificially intelligent."

Yeah. I've seen them too. These wacky definitions were made by idiots unfamiliar with computers and programming.
IBdaMann wrote:
AI is of value because it enables humans to extend human "recognition" into data that is normally unintelligible. If I were to show you a 3-D grid of 243,888,345 data points, it would not tell you anything whereas an AI system can discern thousands of major patterns, and patterns within patterns, and construct visualizations (pie charts, quad graphs, timelines, etc..) that bring all of those insights to you in a form you can understand.

Yes. This is another application of AI. Like most AI, the initial conditions of what a 'pattern' even IS is directly coded into the program. Plotting the selected or summary data is nothing more than a plotting program, and does not involve AI at all.
IBdaMann wrote:
The reason AI is really big today is that we have transitioned to a world of BIG DATA, and businesses find that they need to make decisions based on overwhelming data that is nothing but confusing ... to humans. So they turn the data over to mature AI systems that discern the patterns, provide the analyses, render projections and elucidate impacts to any anticipated or possible changes.

Business have found that analyzing data in this way is a lot faster than hiring armies of data analysts, which used to perform this function. Because of this, it is now possible to analyze MORE data than ever before in the same amount of time.
IBdaMann wrote:
AI is used to help/aid/assist decision makers make decisions. AI is not an internet search or a voice command.

AI is used in voice recognition. It is also used in building search engine results. Google 'spiders' crawl the web, looking for new sites and changes to old sites, then send this raw data to Google. AI is used to correlate this data into rapid search results on demand. As people change what they are searching for, the learning loop adjusts what data should be available for more rapid access.
IBdaMann wrote:
AI is not a brilliant chess algorithm or an extremely helpful "assistant."

AI is used in chess and checker programs. In any of these types of programs, the rules of the game are coded into the program, and various goals to produce 'winning' combinations are also coded (such as in chess, gaining control of the center of the board). As people play the game using this code, a learning algorithm is used to adjust play to counter the moves of the opponent better. Over time, the program gets better and better and defeating various opponents.
IBdaMann wrote:
AI brings human "recognition" and "understanding" to new data,

AI is not human. However, it DOES allow humans to understand massive amounts of new data more quickly.
IBdaMann wrote:
often to BIG DATA,

Just what is 'big data'?
IBdaMann wrote:
allowing decision makers to "see" and "understand" the new data for what it is, and not as unintelligible data.

Yes. This is the purpose of such AI programs.
It was also the purpose of human data analysts, but the program is much faster than they are, making that position obsolete.

The Parrot Killer

04-04-2023 22:00
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Incorrect. Both SIRI and the Alexa service use AI. This is how they handle their dictionaries and is how they recognize a spoken word as a command. This part of either system uses a learning loop to refine the recognition process.

Beyond that, cognition is by individually written programs, giving the service a usefulness. Typically, these are lambda functions written in some language such as Java or Python. That part is NOT AI, just a pile of useful programs and linked to the recognized words coming from the Alexa (or SIRI) service.

IBdaMann wrote:

There is a clear definition. AI is a program the makes use of a learning loop. That loop can be automated or manually handled, but it is a required feature of the program.

That's it. That's AI.
IBdaMann wrote:

This is actually a good example, with some exceptions. Just like in AI, when the child makes an error you try to impose a correction. An AI program will mindlessly adapt to the correction. A child does not. He may or may not conform by his own choice.
IBdaMann wrote:

This sums it up pretty well. The resulting learned matrix is sometimes called a 'neural net', or a 'cortex'. This matrix is designed for rapid random access and scanning, giving AI it's speed available today.
IBdaMann wrote:
AI was not always this way, and was not always viewed in this light.

AI was always defined like this. Remember, other definitions were made by people not familiar with computers (i.e. News reporters and movie writers).
IBdaMann wrote:
In fact, four/five decades ago, AI was "defined" in many very silly ways, with my favorite (funniest) being "If it fools a human into believing that it is intelligent, then it is therefore artificially intelligent."

Yeah. I've seen them too. These wacky definitions were made by idiots unfamiliar with computers and programming.
IBdaMann wrote:

Yes. This is another application of AI. Like most AI, the initial conditions of what a 'pattern' even IS is directly coded into the program. Plotting the selected or summary data is nothing more than a plotting program, and does not involve AI at all.
IBdaMann wrote:

Business have found that analyzing data in this way is a lot faster than hiring armies of data analysts, which used to perform this function. Because of this, it is now possible to analyze MORE data than ever before in the same amount of time.
IBdaMann wrote:
AI is used to help/aid/assist decision makers make decisions. AI is not an internet search or a voice command.

AI is used in voice recognition. It is also used in building search engine results. Google 'spiders' crawl the web, looking for new sites and changes to old sites, then send this raw data to Google. AI is used to correlate this data into rapid search results on demand. As people change what they are searching for, the learning loop adjusts what data should be available for more rapid access.
IBdaMann wrote:
AI is not a brilliant chess algorithm or an extremely helpful "assistant."

AI is used in chess and checker programs. In any of these types of programs, the rules of the game are coded into the program, and various goals to produce 'winning' combinations are also coded (such as in chess, gaining control of the center of the board). As people play the game using this code, a learning algorithm is used to adjust play to counter the moves of the opponent better. Over time, the program gets better and better and defeating various opponents.
IBdaMann wrote:
AI brings human "recognition" and "understanding" to new data,

AI is not human. However, it DOES allow humans to understand massive amounts of new data more quickly.
IBdaMann wrote:
often to BIG DATA,

Just what is 'big data'?
IBdaMann wrote:
allowing decision makers to "see" and "understand" the new data for what it is, and not as unintelligible data.

Yes. This is the purpose of such AI programs.
It was also the purpose of human data analysts, but the program is much faster than they are, making that position obsolete.

Keep talking to yourself

ULTRA MAGA

04-04-2023 23:11
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
So, is this analysis of data, even on a massive scale going to be in the best interests of humans, and how would we know?\

The analysis in this sentence is a noun.
Edited on 04-04-2023 23:37
04-04-2023 23:59
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
keepit wrote:
So, is this analysis of data, even on a massive scale going to be in the best interests of humans, and how would we know?\

I just spoke to a professional editor who agreed that data is the noun and analysis is the verb in the sentence.

ULTRA MAGA

05-04-2023 00:32
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
I don't think your guy understands my sentence very well.
05-04-2023 00:55
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
keepit wrote:
I don't think your guy understands my sentence very well.

I know that you are dumb.

Think less and know more

ULTRA MAGA

05-04-2023 08:23
(21588)
keepit wrote:

It is being used as a verb. Learn grammar.

It is in the best interests of the business conducting the analysis. This is why they are willing to develop programs to help with this analysis. It's worth the money.

Does it help the customer? It very well can. Such analysis can help the company predict what product you want to buy when you feel the desire to buy it. It takes time to build products, after all, and it helps a company to reduce costs by not keeping unnecessary inventory around.

Can it make mistakes? Certainly! Given poor criteria for the learning loop, such a program can make all sorts of bad predictions and summaries.

Putting too much stock in it can be bad for the company (and the customers) as well, as such programs too often miss the edge cases that are still necessary to satisfy customer needs and improve sales.

What they produce can be good advice, but it is not God, and should be taken only as advice in a general sense.

One particularly successful use of AI data crunching is Toyota's Just In Time inventory control. By predicting when components are ready, and predicting what cars people are going to want to buy in the near future, Toyota has successfully implemented JIT, which reduced their costs, and improved factory flow of materials. For the customer, this meant the kinds of car they probably want, and at a cheaper price.

Other companies tried to implement JIT like Toyota. Most are dismal failures.
In the States, GM is an example of a spectacular failure of JIT. So bad they were going bankrupt and were nationalized. Their analysis AI was absolutely terrible.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 05-04-2023 08:24
05-04-2023 15:54
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
keepit wrote:So, is this analysis of data, even on a massive scale going to be in the best interests of humans, and how would we know?

Currently, AI analyses are providing very beneficial results for SOME humans, e.g. Jeff Bezos (strategic positioning), Military Intelligence (red force anticipation), Sony (program selection/scheduling), etc ..
05-04-2023 17:26
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
IBdaMann wrote:
keepit wrote:So, is this analysis of data, even on a massive scale going to be in the best interests of humans, and how would we know?

Currently, AI analyses are providing very beneficial results for SOME humans, e.g. Jeff Bezos (strategic positioning), Military Intelligence (red force anticipation), Sony (program selection/scheduling), etc ..

Again why would AI need a company?

ULTRA MAGA

05-04-2023 17:40
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
itn,
i used the word analysis as a noun, as in, joe handed the analysis to bill.
Edited on 05-04-2023 18:24
05-04-2023 18:02
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
keepit wrote:
itn,
i used the word analysis as a noun, as i joe handed the analysis to bill.

Anything to distract from the real area 52 I suppose.

PS why did you choose a new sentence to detail your lack of linguistics? Answer, because in the first sentence "So, is this analysis of data" the word analysis, refers to a process performed on the data, even if the process is contained in a folder.

I like IQ tests, unlike fools such as you.

CIAO

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 05-04-2023 18:05
06-04-2023 00:14
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
Googled:

analysis - noun
analyse - verb

Keepit right, swan and ITN wrong.
06-04-2023 00:16
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Thanks Xadoman. Sometimes it seems like some people live on disinformation.
06-04-2023 01:28
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
keepit wrote:

LOL Google also said that covid did not come from a lab, now it says that it did.

The doctor is doing a scan on the patient. Scan is a verb

The doctor is doing an analysis on the patient. Analysis is another verb

The doctor is also underpaid, overworked, but loves doing rectal exams, on hippos.

ULTRA MAGA

06-04-2023 04:07
(21588)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

It doesn't. It is, however, expensive. Larger companies and government benefit most from it.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 06-04-2023 04:07
06-04-2023 04:09
(21588)
keepit wrote:
itn,
i used the word analysis as a noun, as in, joe handed the analysis to bill.

No, you used it as a verb, as in "this analysis of data".

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 06-04-2023 04:10
06-04-2023 04:11
(21588)
keepit wrote:

Nah. You're both just illiterate. You never learned grammar.

The Parrot Killer

06-04-2023 10:19
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/analysis

Some examples from there:

- a scientific analysis of the data
- make/do/perform a chemical analysis of the soil
- a detailed analysis of the bone structure of horses

Analysis is a noun. Analyse is a verb. Simple as that.
06-04-2023 10:58
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
Also from google:

All English verbs (except to be) have five forms: base, past tense, past participle, present participle, and third-person singular.

For example:

Base Form (V1) analyse
Past Form (V2) analysed
Past Participle Form (V3) analysed
s / es/ es (V4) analyses
'ing' form (V5) analysing

Now lets say the word "alalysis" is indeed a verb. In which form it is? A base, past tense, past participle, present participle or third-person singular?
Also, just for clarification, could somebody write down all these five forms for the word "analysis"?
06-04-2023 14:22
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

It doesn't. It is, however, expensive. Larger companies and government benefit most from it.

Why wouldn't AI strike when told what to do, without receiving just compensation?

Now that would be AI.

ULTRA MAGA

06-04-2023 18:44
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Xadoman wrote:
Also from google:

All English verbs (except to be) have five forms: base, past tense, past participle, present participle, and third-person singular.

For example:

Base Form (V1) analyse
Past Form (V2) analysed
s / es/ es (V4) analyses

Now lets say the word "alalysis" is indeed a verb. In which form it is? A base, past tense, past participle, present participle or third-person singular?
Also, just for clarification, could somebody write down all these five forms for the word "analysis"?

Xadoman, stop ... start over.

First, Google is saying that Google Assistant recognizes five verb forms. This is information for developers.

1. "Base" is the infinitive.
2. "Past Tense" is the preterite.
3. Past Participle
4. Present Participle
5. Third Person Singular

For the verb "to analyze" ... Google Assistant will have available

1. "analyze," "analyzing," and "to analyze"
2. "analyzed"
3. "analyzed"
4. "analyzing"
5. "analyzes"
06-04-2023 21:34
(21588)
Xadoman wrote:
https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/analysis

Random misquoting from a Britannica article is not grammar.
Xadoman wrote:
Some examples from there:

- a scientific analysis of the data

A verb. Also, science is not an analysis (also used as a verb in my sentence).
Data is the noun. Also, science is not data (also used as a noun in my sentence).
Xadoman wrote:
- make/do/perform a chemical analysis of the soil

A verb. Soil is the noun.
Xadoman wrote:
- a detailed analysis of the bone structure of horses

A verb. Horses is the noun.
Xadoman wrote:
Analysis is a noun. Analyse is a verb. Simple as that.

It can be used either way. All of your examples are using it as a verb.

Learn grammar.

The Parrot Killer

07-04-2023 01:40
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
make/do/perform a chemical analysis of the soil

make, do, perfrom - verbs

a - article

chemical - adjective

analysis - noun

of - preposition

the - article

soil - noun

Also, a simple way to distinguish between verbs and nouns. An article( a, an , the) goes with the noun. For example - an analysis( noun). "To" goes with the verb. For example - to analyse( verb).
07-04-2023 02:34
(21588)
Xadoman wrote:
make/do/perform a chemical analysis of the soil

make, do, perfrom - verbs

a - article

chemical - adjective

analysis - noun

of - preposition

the - article

soil - noun

Also, a simple way to distinguish between verbs and nouns. An article( a, an , the) goes with the noun. For example - an analysis( noun). "To" goes with the verb. For example - to analyse( verb).

Incorrect. You are again using 'analysis' as a verb here.

The Parrot Killer

08-04-2023 13:57
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
IBdaMann wrote:
Xadoman wrote:
Also from google:

For example:

Base Form (V1) analyse
Past Form (V2) analysed
s / es/ es (V4) analyses

Xadoman, stop ... start over.

First, Google is saying that Google Assistant recognizes five verb forms. This is information for developers.

1. "Base" is the infinitive.
2. "Past Tense" is the preterite.
3. Past Participle
4. Present Participle
5. Third Person Singular

For the verb "to analyze" ... Google Assistant will have available

1. "analyze," "analyzing," and "to analyze"
2. "analyzed"
3. "analyzed"
4. "analyzing"
5. "analyzes"

LOL you forgot to comment on what would AI need IBM for if it was independently intelligent?

ULTRA MAGA

08-04-2023 19:11
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
I don't recall majoring in English, at a prestigious university, was a prerequisite for signing up for this site... Whining about spell, punctuation, and grammar, are deflections from the discussion topic. Someone who has truly mastered the English language, should have no problem making allowances for those who only managed the minimal required education. I was an English major, nor had much interest beyond a passing grade, but I have no problem comprehending through context.

As far as the thread topic goes... Never really got into the new Star Trek series. I liked the original series, but the newer ones are just a commercial product, selling liberal indoctrination.
08-04-2023 22:32
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I don't recall majoring in English, at a prestigious university, was a prerequisite for signing up for this site... Whining about spell, punctuation, and grammar, are deflections from the discussion topic. Someone who has truly mastered the English language, should have no problem making allowances for those who only managed the minimal required education. I was an English major, nor had much interest beyond a passing grade, but I have no problem comprehending through context.

As far as the thread topic goes... Never really got into the new Star Trek series. I liked the original series, but the newer ones are just a commercial product, selling liberal indoctrination.

Actually only liberals are subject to indoctrination based on their low IQ's.

Now on a more serious note, does anyone know why I am so dizzy? It's almost like somebody spiked my coconut rum or something. Oh well when in doubt I triple the rum anyway.

ULTRA MAGA

09-04-2023 21:18
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Ok here is another example. If I buy something online, I'm going to get targeted with ads for that item, and similar items, in short order.

Is that AI?

09-04-2023 21:23
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Any attempt to describe/explain the logic of an AI application will be incomprehensible.

Ok here is another example. If I log onto YouTube and start watching political videos about Trump, and then almost all the videos on my feed start showing up as videos about Trump, is that AI?

10-04-2023 01:34
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Ok here is another example. If I log onto YouTube and start watching political videos about Trump, and then almost all the videos on my feed start showing up as videos about Trump, is that AI?

No, it's just a search of videos with similar tags, to the ones you frequently watch. YouTube makes money off your viewing choices. Their suggestions are meant to keep you clicking on videos, looking at advertisements.
Page 2 of 3<123>

Join the debate the borg:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
How are the Borg not Democrats1318-12-2020 21:51
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact