Remember me
▼ Content

sea ice

sea ice16-08-2020 16:25
duncan61
★★★☆☆
(749)
After engaging with DRKTS I choose to do more research on Canadian sea ice.The Canadian coast guard measure all the ice and give predictions on form and quantity for Mariners.It is done by Aerial observation and surface ships.I wonder why they just dont use the NASA data.Thoughts anyone

duncan61
16-08-2020 16:52
HarveyH55
★★★★★
(2745)
duncan61 wrote:
After engaging with DRKTS I choose to do more research on Canadian sea ice.The Canadian coast guard measure all the ice and give predictions on form and quantity for Mariners.It is done by Aerial observation and surface ships.I wonder why they just dont use the NASA data.Thoughts anyone

Most of the satellite sensors are essentially cameras. The only difference is that they aren't all designed to record in the visual spectrum. The still just capture images from miles up in space, and computers do a lot of mathemagic to try and convert those images into something we can visualize and use.

Running ships through ice is risky business, and sometimes doesn't go to well. Very risky rescues as well. 'Ice Breaker' ships even have limitations, but they are heavy, and don't carry a whole lot of cargo or equipment. Doesn't take long for the ice to reform, after they plow through either. The whole Arctic ocean doesn't freeze all at one time, at the same rate either. Some areas are worse than others. It's a little like the weather predictions, which also play a part. Water moves around, just like the atmosphere. There is cooler water, and warmer water. Boats can only move so fast, and ice can form pretty quick too. The ships need to know what their chance of completing their journey, and which areas would be the safest course to take. Satellites aren't going to going to pick up how many chunks of ice or floating around, that can damage a ship, or how safe it is to navigate through them, if needed.
16-08-2020 18:06
duncan61
★★★☆☆
(749)
My point is that the Canadian Coast Guard record the real data and its not the same as NASA
16-08-2020 19:21
HarveyH55
★★★★★
(2745)
duncan61 wrote:
My point is that the Canadian Coast Guard record the real data and its not the same as NASA

NASA is getting there's from miles up in the sky, where the Coast Guard is right there in the water. It's pretty obvious who has the most current and accurate information. There is usually some ice floating around, any time of the year. It's more about size of the ice chucks, and the number of them, not just the freezing part of it. You can dodge a few chunks of ice pretty easy, but it can get challenging, as the number of chunks increase. Have to slow down quite a bit as well. NASA can only give a very broad/general overview, with any of their data. It's useful for somethings, but it keeps getting taken out of context. Some folks like to believe it's more, than is possible to obtain from high in the sky. NASA does nothing to discourage them either, since they want more funding. I doubt the great NASA conspiracy stuff. Most of their data is computer generated, which can always be improved upon, or corrected, if there were programming errors found later on. They have no control over how people use their data, or misrepresent the actual value.
16-08-2020 19:54
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(13933)
duncan61 wrote:

NASA has no data. It is not possible to measure the total ice and snow in Canada or globally.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit
16-08-2020 19:55
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(13933)
duncan61 wrote:

Actually, they don't.

Sea ice varies daily, even hourly. The most any fleet of ships can do is take a snapshot of where they happen to be at the moment. That is insufficient data.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit
17-08-2020 00:36
HarveyH55
★★★★★
(2745)
Every boat on the water reports their location and conditions to the Coast Guard. The coast Guard has boats on the water as well, but they aren't the only source of current conditions, they just keep track of what's been reported into them.
17-08-2020 09:22
duncan61
★★★☆☆
(749)
They do aerial surveys when possible as well

Join the debate sea ice:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
sea levels8102-12-2020 21:40
https://www.waclimate.net/perth-sea-levels.html627-11-2020 01:24
Desalination and evaporation of sea water at both poles1019-11-2020 23:57
Polar Ice Melt Now 6 Times Greater Than 1990s10313-11-2020 21:11
Rising sea levels attacking Florida coast, happening now!2519-10-2020 10:58
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact