26-02-2021 23:37
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Every boat on the water reports their location and conditions to the Coast Guard. The coast Guard has boats on the water as well, but they aren't the only source of current conditions, they just keep track of what's been reported into them.

LOL every boat on the water does not report their location and conditions to the coast guard. Do you make up this krap as you go?

Are you a clueless idiot? When there is ice, boats talk to each other a lot. They want to know what they are heading to, and warn others if it's bad. Their lives depend on that cooperation, and communication. Coast Guard monitors those communications, asks questions, if conditions are turning bad, puts out alerts. The Coast Guard is there to help out, if somebody needs them.

You said that every boat reports their location to the coast guard. I own a boat and never reported my location to the coast guard. You are clueless and just make up stuff as you go.

I think he's talking commercial ships. It's like when I was a kid (10 years old?) and went on a crabbing boat with my dad. I'm quite certain that commercial ships report their status for safety reasons.
It's kind of like when I was in the Navy and we came out of a fog bank. The ship in front of us did not report its position or GPS wasn't very accurate. Being on an aircraft carrier, we almost rear ended it.
I was on the lube oil-condensate watch when we hit full reverse. This prevents water flowing through the main condenser and causes cavitation. That will destroy the main circulating pump as the main condenser is not fed by the ships movement through the sea. Just basic FYI.
I just wonder how you guys do not know this stuff. With local conditions, anyone can be sure that commercial craft report conditions as it impacts maritime safety.
Edited on 26-02-2021 23:39
27-02-2021 00:42
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Every boat on the water reports their location and conditions to the Coast Guard. The coast Guard has boats on the water as well, but they aren't the only source of current conditions, they just keep track of what's been reported into them.

LOL every boat on the water does not report their location and conditions to the coast guard. Do you make up this krap as you go?

Are you a clueless idiot? When there is ice, boats talk to each other a lot. They want to know what they are heading to, and warn others if it's bad. Their lives depend on that cooperation, and communication. Coast Guard monitors those communications, asks questions, if conditions are turning bad, puts out alerts. The Coast Guard is there to help out, if somebody needs them.

You said that every boat reports their location to the coast guard. I own a boat and never reported my location to the coast guard. You are clueless and just make up stuff as you go.

Try to stay in context of the conversation. We were talking about your bathtub-boats and rubber duckies. You'd have to be dumber than I thought, to take a pleasure craft out in the ice. Oh, and I don't think that brown one, is a capsized canoe...
27-02-2021 00:47
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Try to stay in context of the conversation. We were talking about your bathtub-boats and rubber duckies. You'd have to be dumber than I thought, to take a pleasure craft out in the ice. Oh, and I don't think that brown one, is a capsized canoe...

You've never been out to see, have you? And neither has Swan. It is strange to think about it. I've been on pleasure craft. That's how you get around the Puget Sound and the fjords in Norway.
It's most likely that commercial craft report sea conditions. That has to do with maritime safety as many commercial craft will not be in local waters.
I mean even going from the Puget Sound up into the Straits of Juan De Fuca will require maritime alerts as sea conditions will change. Just very basic knowledge.
The Pacific Ocean will have rougher seas than a protected body of water like the Puget Sound. The name Pacific actually means "Peaceful" while the Atlantic Ocean is a calmer sea. And once again, we're back to basic knowledge and why don't you guys understand this?
Edited on 27-02-2021 00:54
28-02-2021 14:47
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I think he's talking commercial ships. It's like when I was a kid (10 years old?) and went on a crabbing boat with my dad. I'm quite certain that commercial ships report their status for safety reasons.
It's kind of like when I was in the Navy and we came out of a fog bank. The ship in front of us did not report its position or GPS wasn't very accurate. Being on an aircraft carrier, we almost rear ended it.
I was on the lube oil-condensate watch when we hit full reverse. This prevents water flowing through the main condenser and causes cavitation. That will destroy the main circulating pump as the main condenser is not fed by the ships movement through the sea. Just basic FYI.
I just wonder how you guys do not know this stuff. With local conditions, anyone can be sure that commercial craft report conditions as it impacts maritime safety.

Commercial ships do not constantly report their locations to the coast guard either. LOL can you imagine every ship reporting that they see ice. Duh, that is the same as reporting water. See the Navy and Coast guard know where the ice is already.

PS If needed the Coast Guard already knows where the ship is anyway in many situations as many of the ships are not friendly. Perhaps you heard this somewhere but never connected the two dots in your head
28-02-2021 15:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Commercial ships do not constantly report their locations to the coast guard either. LOL can you imagine every ship reporting that they see ice. Duh, that is the same as reporting water. See the Navy and Coast guard know where the ice is already.

PS If needed the Coast Guard already knows where the ship is anyway in many situations as many of the ships are not friendly. Perhaps you heard this somewhere but never connected the two dots in your head

Water isn't a hazard to a ship while ice is. Also, weather conditions are always noted in a ships log. Some researchers take the time to go through those like Jason Box of Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, USA.
Are you 100% American like what's his name? Must be. It seems to be a common problem among Americans. Just don't need to know what you're talking about to be right.
https://news.osu.edu/current-melting-of-greenlands-ice-mimics-1920s-1940s-event/

Through both sunny days and torrential storms, sailors cutting through the waters around New Zealand and Antarctica faithfully recorded the weather they encountered, building up a treasure trove of data.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/3/18528638/southern-weather-discovery-ship-logs-climate-change

Am glad I'm only 1/2 American. It gives me hope.
28-02-2021 16:25
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You've never been out to see, have you? And neither has Swan. It is strange to think about it. I've been on pleasure craft. That's how you get around the Puget Sound and the fjords in Norway.
It's most likely that commercial craft report sea conditions. That has to do with maritime safety as many commercial craft will not be in local waters.
I mean even going from the Puget Sound up into the Straits of Juan De Fuca will require maritime alerts as sea conditions will change. Just very basic knowledge.
The Pacific Ocean will have rougher seas than a protected body of water like the Puget Sound. The name Pacific actually means "Peaceful" while the Atlantic Ocean is a calmer sea. And once again, we're back to basic knowledge and why don't you guys understand this?

No, it doesn't require alerts or any communications with NOAA or the Coast Guard at all, James. You've obviously never been on pleasure boats much either.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
28-02-2021 16:27
(21588)
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Water isn't a hazard to a ship while ice is. Also, weather conditions are always noted in a ships log. Some researchers take the time to go through those like Jason Box of Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, USA.
Are you 100% American like what's his name? Must be. It seems to be a common problem among Americans. Just don't need to know what you're talking about to be right.
https://news.osu.edu/current-melting-of-greenlands-ice-mimics-1920s-1940s-event/

Through both sunny days and torrential storms, sailors cutting through the waters around New Zealand and Antarctica faithfully recorded the weather they encountered, building up a treasure trove of data.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/3/18528638/southern-weather-discovery-ship-logs-climate-change

Anyone going where sea ice exists (like icebergs) already is aware of the conditions. They do not report each iceberg or floating bit of ice.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
28-02-2021 16:28
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Anyone going where sea ice exists (like icebergs) already is aware of the conditions. They do not report each iceberg or floating bit of ice.

And yet the Titanic sank because it ignored the warnings of ice in the water. They knew to be careful but weren't.
28-02-2021 17:48
(5196)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

And yet the Titanic sank because it ignored the warnings of ice in the water. They knew to be careful but weren't.

The Titanic was suppose to be unsinkable, and able to handle some ice. The iceberg they hit, was big, and fog was an issue.

Dodging ice chunks is just normal sailing, but conditions change pretty quick sometimes. If a captain and crew, are spending most of their time and labor, dodging ice, they are going to report it. They are also going to want to know if they need to change course, and which direction, to get to clearer sea. They share the information, to help each other out. Saves a lot of time and resources as well. Pretty slow moving, dodging a lot of ice, quicker an easier to go around. They can carry only so much fuel, and need to plan accordingly.
01-03-2021 03:54
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Dude ships are not required to report the ice to the coast guard. If the ship does not have the proper gear they may call the coast guard to get the location of the ice however.

You do know that the coast guard has active live radar right.
01-03-2021 07:51
(5196)
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Dude ships are not required to report the ice to the coast guard. If the ship does not have the proper gear they may call the coast guard to get the location of the ice however.

No, they aren't required, obligated to share with anyone. And there are likely some that can't/won't for legal reasons. Radar will help the boat it's on, but not many others. You don't seem to be getting that it's better none of the ship sailing in the Arctic ice get into trouble in the first place, since others have to take the same risks to rescue.
01-03-2021 13:25
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

No, they aren't required, obligated to share with anyone. And there are likely some that can't/won't for legal reasons. Radar will help the boat it's on, but not many others. You don't seem to be getting that it's better none of the ship sailing in the Arctic ice get into trouble in the first place, since others have to take the same risks to rescue.

LOL everything that you know about boats traces back to deadliest catch. Kid it's a tv show, and is not all real..................
01-03-2021 15:10
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Swan wrote:

HarveyH55 wrote:

Swan wrote:
LOL everything that you know about boats traces back to deadliest catch. Kid it's a tv show, and is not all real..................

The TV show the Deadliest Catch is real. My dad went up to Alaska many times on either a crab boat or an "at sea" processor. While skippers aren't required to share conditions, if it's something that hasn't been reported, they will. They know how dangerous what they're doing is.
At the same time ships will record weather related data in their ships logs which they're willing to share. Just because it's not something that you wouldn't do doesn't mean others don't.
The USCG has ice breakers. If a ship gets trapped in the ice, the Coast Guard can get them out. It would be "new" ice so it would be easy to break through. I think with the USCG, their ships can go through up to 3 feet of ice. I checked and the USCG has one ice breaker that can go through 21 feet of ice. I had a brother who served in the USCG and went to Alaska with our father among other trips at sea. Haven't you been out to sea yet?
https://www.ktoo.org/2013/08/07/polar-star/
Edited on 01-03-2021 15:30
01-03-2021 19:30
(5196)
Never saw the show, no cable. But, have seen news reports, of the rescues. Boats are kind of expensive. I had a small aluminum, good enough to get out on the lake. You constantly wonder if it's worth fixing the engine, again... or just buying a newer one. I'd imagine, a large boat, for the ocean is a lot worse. You sink it, it's gone, and all your gear, maybe your life.
01-03-2021 20:16
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:

HarveyH55 wrote:

Swan wrote:

The TV show the Deadliest Catch is real. My dad went up to Alaska many times on either a crab boat or an "at sea" processor. While skippers aren't required to share conditions, if it's something that hasn't been reported, they will. They know how dangerous what they're doing is.
At the same time ships will record weather related data in their ships logs which they're willing to share. Just because it's not something that you wouldn't do doesn't mean others don't.
The USCG has ice breakers. If a ship gets trapped in the ice, the Coast Guard can get them out. It would be "new" ice so it would be easy to break through. I think with the USCG, their ships can go through up to 3 feet of ice. I checked and the USCG has one ice breaker that can go through 21 feet of ice. I had a brother who served in the USCG and went to Alaska with our father among other trips at sea. Haven't you been out to sea yet?

I said that it is not all real and it is not. Nothing on TV is completely real including the news.

LOL your dad shucked crab meat from crabs for minimum wage
01-03-2021 23:05
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Swan wrote:

You seem to be implying that this is a "bad" thing... Care to elaborate?
01-03-2021 23:13
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan is specifying that the crab meat was sucked from crabs as opposed to the various other options.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
01-03-2021 23:45
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan is specifying that the crab meat was sucked from crabs as opposed to the various other options.

I wonder if Swan would care to specify what those other options are...
01-03-2021 23:59
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Deadliest catch is real.The crew get a percentage of the catch.Who would put a fleet of crab boats out just for a TV show.I would not do it I get cold watching
02-03-2021 00:03
(5196)
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:

HarveyH55 wrote:

Swan wrote:

I said that it is not all real and it is not. Nothing on TV is completely real including the news.

Your mamma shucked her clothes for less...
02-03-2021 00:29
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:

HarveyH55 wrote:

Swan wrote:

Your mamma shucked her clothes for less...

That's a good one Harvey.
02-03-2021 00:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Swan wrote:

It doesn't really matter what my dad did. People who work on a processor can work 18 to 20 hours a day processing someone's catch. That means that ships can spend more time at sea making money.
Also, a lot of people die every year. A simple ratio is one boat lost in Alaska for every life lost fishing the Grand Banks. I've checked the numbers. There is nothing safe about crabbing or fishing around Alaska.

FYI for you Swan, the Grand Banks is in the North Atlantic. Pacific as in Pacific Ocean means peaceful but it's an oxymoron.
Edited on 02-03-2021 00:35
02-03-2021 01:06
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:

Nah someone has to do the menial unskilled jobs I suppose.

The really strange thing is a person bragging about this
02-03-2021 01:30
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Swan wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan, you shouldn't insult people unless it's political. Why my father matters is because you'll come up with another insult. You're trying to defend a defenseless position. Mariners won't report weather conditions that can be hazardous to other ships.
My mentioning my father worked both on a crabbing boat and a processor gave you an easy target. And you went for it.
When I was in the Navy, I had the coolest watch station outside of the control booth, literally. It was 110º F. I also liked what I did and accidentally found out that I was considered the best lube-oil condensate watch.
I worked in 3MMR and 2MMR was short 1 lube-oil condensate watch. I was scheduled to stand watch in their engine room and someone shot it down. I wasn't qualified in their engine room so it didn't happen.
And while I was disliked by most in my engine room, they didn't want to lose me.
I mean, why is it my engine room was afraid of losing me when they didn't like me? And I guess that's where I was my father's son.
As for my father, in Alaska, always the Chief Engineer. In the Merchant Marines, he was a 1st Engineer. It's the same thing.
And yet I'm pursuing atmospheric chemistry and German history while I know an engine room using boilers that have 6 burner nozzles and generate about 17,500 horse power.
Still, you shouldn't insult people who didn't have a parent that let them know there's more.
02-03-2021 02:24
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
If you don't get it Swan, me and a friend took the oral board for the SSTG (Ship's Service Turbo-Generator) watch station. We were told to quit answering questions. When we talked with someone who asked how it went and we mentioned that, they said it must've been because we didn't know anything.
Another person who happened to be taking the oral board overheard our conversation and told the other guy, it's because the khaki giving it wanted to know if anybody else knew it. We were the only 2 people raising our hands when they asked a question.
At the same time, 3MMR didn't want to lose me but never acted like they appreciated how well qualified I was. That's why instead of becoming an E-4 (Petty Officer 3rd Class or MM3), I told my friends I'll be discharged soon. After all, it's their party. People don't understand that sometimes.

With 2MMR, if they liked me because I was helping them, they could ask for my transfer. After all, the only way I could stand watch in their engine room was if my engine room had a replacement for me. The only reason I could be scheduled to stand watch in another engine room, I could be replaced in mine.
That's how politics works. It's about gaining status and then holding onto it. After all, if my replacement in 3MMR wasn't as good as me, then that would hurt the people who have rank. They were looking out for themselves. This isn't taught in school.
Edited on 02-03-2021 03:07
02-03-2021 03:09
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And for fun Swan, the guy's boat I helped to re-caulk, he and my father were lead machinists on this Research and Development project that Boeing had. Do you like it? It's what menial laborers do.
https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/phm-1.htm
Edited on 02-03-2021 03:12
02-03-2021 04:29
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And here we have a koala bear teaching a PHD astrophysicist how to play the guitar. Yep, the koala bear said Queen who? Why Dr. Brian May knew he needed to learn how to play the guitar better.

And guys, don't tell em that you didn't know that the lead guitarist for Queen has a PhD. And that's in astrophysics. I mean Freddie Mercury didn't hold it against him that he was "different".

Some facts about Queen. Freddie Mercury was looking to replace their lead singer.
It's said the band parted with their lead singer for various reasons. Lack of gigs would be a good one. People lacking in attendance at their shows would make them not welcome.
And the band initially hated the idea of changing their name to Queen. But Freddie won them over.
And with the song Bohemian Rhapsody, the band produced it themselves. The video they made. They had a budget to work within and they did. The video was so it could be played out clubs around England.
So when you watch the video, it's self promotion by the band at their expense. And their gay lead singer got them to accept Queen as their name.
As for me, am half Norwegian. I like working with people because Americans hate Norwegians. Why Americans say "I am a capitalist" and not "I am an American".
And you Americans don't even know your own history or that of other countries.
And when you watch this, they made it and paid for it out of their own pockets. Just no one else's money involved. Why some people like doing things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

p.s.s., it's been remastered. Sorry.

The original video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqMbefDgys
Attached image:

Edited on 02-03-2021 04:52
02-03-2021 05:55
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
I won't tell you guys how I came across this video. I captured a couple of images off of it. But I did ask if they were related. They're both fuzzy and have the same odd expression on their faces.
02-03-2021 13:44
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan, you shouldn't insult people unless it's political. Why my father matters is because you'll come up with another insult. You're trying to defend a defenseless position. Mariners won't report weather conditions that can be hazardous to other ships.
My mentioning my father worked both on a crabbing boat and a processor gave you an easy target. And you went for it.
When I was in the Navy, I had the coolest watch station outside of the control booth, literally. It was 110º F. I also liked what I did and accidentally found out that I was considered the best lube-oil condensate watch.
I worked in 3MMR and 2MMR was short 1 lube-oil condensate watch. I was scheduled to stand watch in their engine room and someone shot it down. I wasn't qualified in their engine room so it didn't happen.
And while I was disliked by most in my engine room, they didn't want to lose me.
I mean, why is it my engine room was afraid of losing me when they didn't like me? And I guess that's where I was my father's son.
As for my father, in Alaska, always the Chief Engineer. In the Merchant Marines, he was a 1st Engineer. It's the same thing.
And yet I'm pursuing atmospheric chemistry and German history while I know an engine room using boilers that have 6 burner nozzles and generate about 17,500 horse power.
Still, you shouldn't insult people who didn't have a parent that let them know there's more.

Saying that shucking crabs is unskilled labor is not an insult because Mexicans are running here to do this and the Dems want their unskilled labor. So it is political
02-03-2021 17:55
(21588)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

The Titanic was suppose to be unsinkable, and able to handle some ice. The iceberg they hit, was big, and fog was an issue.

There was no fog. Conditions were clear skies, no wind. The seas were dead calm.

The lookouts did not have any binoculars (they were unavailable for some reason). the captain trusted arrogantly in the 'unsinkable' ship and kept going full speed. Calm conditions like this do not produce the usual breakers on icebergs making them damn near invisible until you're right on them.

This ship also would never pass sea trials today, since it's rudder was too small for that size vessel and it was barely maneuverable.

The accident, like so many accidents was caused by many things lining up to cause the accident. Any one thing not lined up and the accident would not have occurred.

Captain error, overall arrogance, missing equipment for the lookouts, and calm and clear conditions were all factors causing this accident.

It was worse than it shou8l have been because the crew was not trained how to deploy the lifeboats, there were insufficient lifeboats, and radios were not on 24 hour watch on those days.

A lot of things went wrong with the Titanic.

Presentism fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

02-03-2021 18:02
(21588)
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:

HarveyH55 wrote:

Swan wrote:

The TV show the Deadliest Catch is real.

No, it is not. It is a vignette of life on these boats. The boats and the captains are real, but the show is about selected snippets of what they do.
James___ wrote:
My dad went up to Alaska many times on either a crab boat or an "at sea" processor.

Fiction. I don't believe you.
James___ wrote:
While skippers aren't required to share conditions, if it's something that hasn't been reported, they will. They know how dangerous what they're doing is.

Mostly they talk to each other because they're bored...like truckers at sea.
James___ wrote:

Occasionally. Mostly not.
James___ wrote:
The USCG has ice breakers. If a ship gets trapped in the ice, the Coast Guard can get them out.

No, it can't. All it can do is rescue the trapped survivors. The ship itself is stuck until the thaw.
James___ wrote:
It would be "new" ice so it would be easy to break through.

No difference. Ice is ice, new or old.
James___ wrote:
I think with the USCG, their ships can go through up to 3 feet of ice. I checked and the USCG has one ice breaker that can go through 21 feet of ice. I had a brother who served in the USCG and went to Alaska with our father among other trips at sea. Haven't you been out to sea yet?

You have never been to sea.

The Parrot Killer

02-03-2021 18:24
(21588)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Never saw the show, no cable. But, have seen news reports, of the rescues. Boats are kind of expensive. I had a small aluminum, good enough to get out on the lake. You constantly wonder if it's worth fixing the engine, again... or just buying a newer one. I'd imagine, a large boat, for the ocean is a lot worse. You sink it, it's gone, and all your gear, maybe your life.

The show was produced by Mike Rowe (same guy that did Dirty Jobs). It is about crab fisherman that are based in Seattle that go up into the Bering sea to set their crab pots. These are huge, and heavy. Just maneuvering them on the icy decks with the hoist is dangerous work. These boats work in summer seas, when the ice has thawed. They will go to sea for several months, putting into port only for resupply occasionally (and that a local port in Alaska). The crew does not get leave in these northern ports. They head right back out to sea again.

Essentially, you're a fisherman stuck on these boats for three months, fishing for crab. You set the pots, wait around a bit, and go back and retrieve the pots. The catch is immediately put on ice.

At the end of the fishing season, these boats return to Seattle and release the crew. It's good paying work, but it's hard work. The only permanent members of each boat are the captain and the engineer (who also works as Mate).

Each boat is equipped with communications radios, radar, and sonar...a hell of lot more than the Titanic had, which had no radar, no sonar, and very limited communications radios. The radios are mostly used to talk to each other, rarely used to talk to the Coast Guard. They are also used to get NOAA weather reports (which are of limited value, since there are very few monitoring stations near the Bering sea).

The waters of the Bering sea are cold....very cod. Falling overboard means death. Life jackets are really of no use. Crew will tend to wear bright colors though, since it's easier to see each other at night. That's important when you are hoisting heavy crab pots around. You want to know where each man is standing.

Each ship varies in size, carrying crews anywhere from a few men to a dozen or so, and will stay at sea for 3 to 5 months, depending on conditions (ice tears up crab pot buoys).

It's not even the deadliest catch. ANY fishing in northern waters is dangerous. People do it because fish find food there in abundance, and tend to migrate to those waters.

I've personally known a couple of folks that worked these ships. They usually quit after a season or two, despite the excellent pay, because of the isolation...really the hardest part of the job.

The Parrot Killer

02-03-2021 18:27
(21588)
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:

HarveyH55 wrote:

Swan wrote:

You don't shuck crabs. You shuck mussels, clams and oysters.

The Parrot Killer

02-03-2021 18:45
(21588)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:

Canned crab meat is a weird process.

First, the crab is thrown in a vat of boiling water to cook them.
They are then rinsed, then bashed by a machine into fairly large chunks. The legs tend to come off fairly whole. The bodies are crushed, and the external shell is removed by passing through another vat, which helps to separate meat from shell. Internal shell (yes...crabs have internal skeletons as well!), is lighter and tends to stay with the crab meat. It is, however, very plate-like and can be largely just rinsed away in a shower bath.

At the end of this process, you have mostly meat, with a few bits of internal shell in it. The crab then moves down a conveyor line, with workers picking out the bits of internal shell that remain by hand. Some of this is now being automated, using computers, cameras, and airflow to remove these bits.

What remains is mostly crab meat and smaller internal shell bits, which aren't a problem for the next step: grinding.

The meat is ground like hamburger and packed into cans. It is the usual machinery handling the cans after that.

The edible part of the crab is the muscle. Crabs have only four of these largest muscles (three in some varieties), which consist of the claw muscle (one or two of these), and the body muscles the crab uses for swimming and walking with. It takes a lot of crab to fill a single can, which is why it's expensive.

Crab is otherwise sold as whole crab, and you cook it yourself, usually getting at the good bits with a nutcracker and a nut pick. Some people are good at just doing this by hand. There's a bit of knack to it.

The Parrot Killer

02-03-2021 19:00
(21588)
duncan61 wrote:
Deadliest catch is real.The crew get a percentage of the catch.Who would put a fleet of crab boats out just for a TV show.I would not do it I get cold watching

No, it is not real. It is vignettes of life aboard these crab boats. The crab fishing is real, along with other fishing in northern waters from boats based out of Seattle.

It's all hard work. Mike Rowe, who produces Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs, has always centered his shows around, and honoring, the many men and women that do the hard and often revolting jobs that most people take for granted.

Jobs like cleaning city sewers, processing game meat, fishing in harsh waters (like the northern Pacific and Atlantic oceans), cleaning the animal cages for Las Vegas shows that use animals, ranching everything from ostriches, alpaca, zebras, chickens, cattle, and so on. The guy that climbs up on a skyride or chairlift pole to clean and grease the pulleys. Folks that clean gum off of sidewalks in cities. Folks that help to eradicate pests like pigeon or rats, or repair and replace mold covered walls from flood damage. Folks that run a tannery. Even the folks that paint the stripes on roads.

People don't think about folks doing these jobs. But people doing these jobs make life for the rest of us possible. Because these jobs are often revolting and/or hard work, they pay very well. This is what Mike Rowe was basing his various shows on. It's good material. You can get copies of some of his work on DVD now.

The Parrot Killer

02-03-2021 19:02
(14389)
Into the Night wrote:Canned crab meat is a weird process.

Has anyone tried bottling it? It might be cheaper.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
02-03-2021 19:05
(21588)
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Swan wrote:

Swan, you shouldn't insult people unless it's political. Why my father matters ....

More fiction, random wanderings, and word salad.

The Parrot Killer

02-03-2021 19:08
(21588)
IBdaMann wrote:

Canning originally started in bottles (champagne bottles to be exact), since they were strong and easy to seal.

Food go put in cans as a way to save money, and to use a container that is sturdier to shipping and handling.

People that can at home still use glass jars (or 'bottles') and go through the bother of washing them before reuse. These are often called 'mason' jars, named after the guy that game up with this container.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 02-03-2021 19:10
02-03-2021 20:08
(14389)
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Canning originally started in bottles (champagne bottles to be exact), since they were strong and easy to seal.

Food go put in cans as a way to save money, and to use a container that is sturdier to shipping and handling.

People that can at home still use glass jars (or 'bottles') and go through the bother of washing them before reuse. These are often called 'mason' jars, named after the guy that game up with this container.

Attached image:

02-03-2021 22:18
(21588)
Ah...a nice cold glass of crab meat! I like this serving suggestion!
Page 2 of 3<123>

Join the debate sea ice:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The new President elect of Haagen Dazs, demonstrating an ice cream filled donut017-11-2023 14:07
FASTER GLACIER MELTING MECHANISM COULD CAUSE HUGE SEA LEVEL RISES420-05-2023 19:54
Rip current in the Caspian Sea024-08-2022 11:59
Satellite Measurements-- Sea Level Rise7124-08-2022 01:36
Co2 ice samples1102-06-2022 22:44
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact