Remember me
▼ Content

Restoring Alkalinity to the Ocean

Page 6 of 11<<<45678>>>
11-03-2023 03:18
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
Im a BM wrote:
Submarine groundwater discharge from coastal wetlands is the major source of alkalinity for many marine ecosystems.

In the low-oxygen, organic carbon-rich wetland sediment, bacteria use sulfate as oxidant to acquire energy from organic carbon. Sulfate reduction by bacteria generates alkalinity, rather than carbon dioxide, as the oxidized (inorganic) carbon product.

Carbon isn't organic.
Im a BM wrote:
Three different approaches are offered to engineer coastal wetlands to increase their output of alkalinity to neutralize ocean acidification.

The oceans are alkaline. Oceans are not acidic.
Im a BM wrote:
Yes, "tons of hydrogen sulfide pour into the oceans every day."

And I bet you measured every ton with a spoon.
Im a BM wrote:
A small fraction of the total hydrogen sulfide coming into contact with sea water is of abiotic, geologic origin. Deep sea vents and other contact points where H2S from deep underground comes up into the sea. A small fraction of the total.

Where does the vast majority of H2S coming into contact with sea water come from?

Microbial reduction of sulfate.

Sulfate is not a reduction.
Im a BM wrote:
Sulfate reducing bacteria live in low oxygen conditions.

Im a BM wrote:
They use sulfate as oxidant to acquire energy from oxidation of organic carbon.

Sulfate is not an oxidizer. Carbon isn't organic.
Im a BM wrote:
Often the reactions are carried out over multiple steps by more than one species of bacteria.

One example of the overall reaction is with oxidation of methane.

sulfate + methane = hydrogen sulfide + carbonate + metabolic energy
...deleted random letters used as a 'formula'...

Sulfur isn't an oxidizer.
Im a BM wrote:
So, what happens when H2S contacts sea water?

H2S = HS- + H+ It just released a proton to act like an acid

Acid isn't a proton.
Im a BM wrote:
A more complete look at sulfate reduction coupled to methane oxidation:
...deleted random letters used as a 'formula'...

Sulfate isn't a reduction. Sulfur isn't an oxidizer.
Im a BM wrote:
You already got one mole of alkalinity produced,

Alkalinity isn't measure in moles. Unit error.
Im a BM wrote:
as bicarbonate (HCO3-)

Where does the HS- go?

Most of it ends up as iron pyrite, FeS2, a solid iron sulfide, consuming another proton to neutralize more acidity

Protons are not consumed.
Im a BM wrote:
Alkalinity is acid neutralizing capacity.

Nope. Alkalinity is a pH over 7.
Im a BM wrote:
Bicarbonate supplies most of the alkalinity in sea water.

Carbonate is the second largest source of alkalinity in sea water.

They are both oxidized forms of carbon (aka "inorganic")

So, some of the hydrogen sulfide entering sea water is of geologic origin.

It's net effect is acidifying. Especially when sulfide oxidizes (with oxygen) to make sulfuric acid.

An alkaline is not an acid. Sulfur is not an oxidizer.
Im a BM wrote:
But most of the hydrogen sulfide contacting sea water is generated during sulfate reduction by microorganisms, as part of an acid neutralizing reaction.

No acid to neutralize. Ocean water is alkaline.
Im a BM wrote:
Anaerobic sulfate reduction, which consumes no free oxygen, generates two moles of alkalinity for every mole of sulfate reduced to sulfide

Alkalinity is not measured in moles. Unit error.
Im a BM wrote:
Conversely, aerobic sulfide oxidation produces two moles of acidity.

Acidity is not measured in moles. Unit error.
Im a BM wrote:
But sulfuric acid is a minor player in ocean "acidification".

You can't acidify an alkaline.
Im a BM wrote:
Carbonic acid, a very weak acid formed by carbon dioxide in water, is added to the ocean at a rate orders of magnitude greater than sulfuric acid.

Im a BM wrote:
As far as the "billions of years" go, geologic emission of hydrogen sulfide is tiny today compared to what it used to be.

How do you know? Were you there?

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
11-03-2023 19:34
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Rising sea levels? Doesn't shit run down hill, through the many rivers, streams, and storm drains? Not mention factor waste pipes, and sewage treatment plants? A lot of crap gets dumped into the oceans, all the time, at it's not all water either. Rivers have been dumping sand and silt, since the beginning of time. Why is rising sea levels so surprising? The liquid in a container gets displaced, as you add crap to it. If we were truly warming, then there would be more water evaporating. Here in Florida hot, also means humid. Ice melting? A glass full of ice water doesn't overflow, when the ice melts. The mess on the coffee table is condensation, from the outside of the glass. Use a coaster...
RE: "Sulfate is not a reduction." WTF?12-03-2023 04:16
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Into the Night wrote:

Carbon isn't organic.

The oceans are alkaline. Oceans are not acidic.

And I bet you measured every ton with a spoon.

Sulfate is not an oxidizer. Carbon isn't organic.

Sulfur isn't an oxidizer.

Acid isn't a proton.

Sulfate isn't a reduction. Sulfur isn't an oxidizer.

Alkalinity isn't measure in moles. Unit error.

Protons are not consumed.

Im a BM wrote:
Alkalinity is acid neutralizing capacity.

Nope. Alkalinity is a pH over 7.

An alkaline is not an acid. Sulfur is not an oxidizer.

No acid to neutralize. Ocean water is alkaline.

Acidity is not measured in moles. Unit error.

How do you know? Were you there?

------------------------------------------------------------

What is alkalinity?

It is acid neutralizing capacity. It is reported as moles per liter (protons that can be neutralized) or as calcium carbonate equivalents (grams or milligrams per liter).

Alkalinity versus alkaline, like conflating amphibious with amphibian, are completely different terms. A noun versus an adjective.

A pH 5 citrate buffer can have alkalinity much higher than sea water despite being acidic.

A pH 11 sodium hydroxide solution has some alkalinity, but orders of magnitude less less alkalinity than sea water.
12-03-2023 08:28
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
Im a BM wrote:What is alkalinity? It is acid neutralizing capacity.

This is not the chemistry definition but I'm fine with it being your definition. It's quite refreshing to see you offer a definition; I really wish you'd do it more often.

Would you define acidity as "alkaline neutralizing capacity"?
RE: posted a year ago already12-03-2023 09:13
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes you can reduce a sulfate.

Google sulfate reduction.

Yes, arsenian pyrite is a real thing. Google it.

Yes, pyrite can form sulfuric acid when bacteria use oxygen to oxidize it.

Google pyrite oxidation acid mine drainage.

Yes, pyrite does form when bacteria deoxidize a sulfate turning it into a sulfide.

Its just a really awkward way to say sulfate reduction. It affirms rather than contradicts.

Sulfate reduction generates two moles of alkalinity for every mole of carbon oxidized (or should I say dereduced?)

Scientists report alkalinity as moles of acid neutralizing capacity per liter. Moles of protons per liter that could be neutralized.

Environmental regulators report alkalinity as calcium carbonate equivalents per liter, on a weight basis.

Fortunately, calcium carbonate has molecular weight very close to 100 grams per mole so it's not too hard to convert. You just have to remember that it's two moles ANC for every mole of CaCO3, and 100 grams per mole.

A solution with alkalinity of 1 gram per liter CaCO3 equivalents has 0.01 mole CaCO3 per liter and 0.02 moles per liter alkalinity.[/quote]
13-03-2023 04:07
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
Im a BM wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, pyrite does form when bacteria deoxidize a sulfate turning it into a sulfide.

Its just a really awkward way to say sulfate reduction. It affirms rather than contradicts.

Sulfate reduction generates two moles of alkalinity for every mole of carbon oxidized (or should I say dereduced?)

Scientists report alkalinity as moles of acid neutralizing capacity per liter. Moles of protons per liter that could be neutralized.

Environmental regulators report alkalinity as calcium carbonate equivalents per liter, on a weight basis.

Fortunately, calcium carbonate has molecular weight very close to 100 grams per mole so it's not too hard to convert. You just have to remember that it's two moles ANC for every mole of CaCO3, and 100 grams per mole.

A solution with alkalinity of 1 gram per liter CaCO3 equivalents has 0.01 mole CaCO3 per liter and 0.02 moles per liter alkalinity.
[/quote]

Учусь говратее по Енглийский, да? It's mols and not moles. A mol is about 22.4 liters by volume of atmospheric gasses and has about 6.02214 × 10^23 particles.
Mol is short for molar mass meaning how many neutrons and protons in a given mass.
This shows that science is about vague generalities. They simply omit conservation of energy which means trapping heat. This allows for stored or conserved heat content. How do you not understand that E = MC^2 has to
do with the mass of conserved electromagnetic radiation?
13-03-2023 04:11
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:What is alkalinity? It is acid neutralizing capacity.

This is not the chemistry definition but I'm fine with it being your definition. It's quite refreshing to see you offer a definition; I really wish you'd do it more often.

Would you define acidity as "alkaline neutralizing capacity"?

I'd have to consider where we are in the current warming cycle when compared to other such cycles. This will have an effect on alkalinity just as a depleted ozone layer might have on it. I would say I am waiting on core samples but they haven't been taken yet. Tree rings offer a good glimpse to where trees grow. Prairies and seas aren't known for their forests.
Edited on 13-03-2023 04:11
13-03-2023 19:16
(21599)
Im a BM wrote:

A sulfate is not a reduction.
Im a BM wrote:

Google is not a source. Void argument fallacy.
Im a BM wrote:

So...reversing the reaction creates an entirely new substance. Riiiiiiiight.
Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

Im a BM wrote:

You don't get to speak for scientists. You only get to speak for yourself.
Unit error.
Im a BM wrote:

I don't give a shit about environmental regulators. Science is not the government. False authority fallacy. Unit error.
Im a BM wrote:

A solution with alkalinity of 1 gram per liter CaCO3 equivalents has 0.01 mole CaCO3 per liter and 0.02 moles per liter alkalinity.

[/quote]
Unit error.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
RE: Hydrogen sulfide - A weak acid that dissociates in sea water.14-03-2023 08:29
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Hydrogen sulfide, also known as "sewer gas" has a distinct rotten egg smell.

But sea water generally does not smell strongly of rotten egg.

Tons of hydrogen sulfide enter the sea every day from deeper in the earth, of abiotic and geologic origin. Deep sea vent type thing.

Many, many, many more tons of hydrogen sulfide enter into sea water every day as a result of bacteria carrying out the biochemical process of sulfate reduction.

So, where does all the rotten egg stink go?

Hydrogen sulfide is a weak acid.

In pH 8.2 sea water it dissociates into an anion and an acid proton.

Hydrogen sulfide = bisulfide ion + acid proton

H2S (in water) = HS- + H+ this is an acidifying process

Bisulfide ion = sulfide ion + acid proton

HS- = S(2-) = H+ this is an additionally acidifying process.

It is very fortunate that only a very small fraction of the hydrogen sulfide entering sea water comes in from outside the ocean, or it would be serious acidification.

Especially given what happens to bisulfide or sulfide ions in the presence of oxygen and sulfur oxidizing microorganisms.

HS- (bisulfide ion) + 2 O2 = HSO4- (hydrogen sulfate or bisulfate ion)

HSO4- (bisulfate) = SO4(2-) (sulfate) + H+ (acid proton) (more acidification)

Fortunately, the vast majority of hydrogen sulfide coming into contact with sea water is generated within the ocean, under low oxygen conditions that prevent it from oxidizing to sulfuric acid.

Rather than the acidifying effect of geologic hydrogen sulfide dissociating into bisulfide and sulfide ions, in situ generation of hydrogen sulfide by microorganisms is an acid neutralizing process.

sulfate + methane = hydrogen sulfide + carbonate + water + metabolic energy

SO4(2-) + CH4 = H2S + CO3(2-) + H2O + energy

So, what happens when H2S contacts sea water under low oxygen conditions?

It dissociates and reacts with iron, with the assistance of bacteria who make their living off the process, to form solid iron pyrite.

No sulfuric acid generated anywhere in the process.

No rotten egg smell coming off it, either.
[/quote]
14-03-2023 14:54
(14414)
Im a BM wrote:
Hydrogen sulfide, also known as "sewer gas" has a distinct rotten egg smell.

But sea water generally does not smell strongly of rotten egg.

Tons of hydrogen sulfide enter the sea every day from deeper in the earth, of abiotic and geologic origin. Deep sea vent type thing.

Many, many, many more tons of hydrogen sulfide enter into sea water every day as a result of bacteria carrying out the biochemical process of sulfate reduction.

So, where does all the rotten egg stink go?

In pH 8.2 sea water it dissociates into an anion and an acid proton.

Hydrogen sulfide = bisulfide ion + acid proton

Bisulfide ion = sulfide ion + acid proton

It is very fortunate that only a very small fraction of the hydrogen sulfide entering sea water comes in from outside the ocean, or it would be serious acidification.

Especially given what happens to bisulfide or sulfide ions in the presence of oxygen and sulfur oxidizing microorganisms.

HS- (bisulfide ion) + 2 O2 = HSO4- (hydrogen sulfate or bisulfate ion)

HSO4- (bisulfate) = SO4(2-) (sulfate) + H+ (acid proton) (more acidification)

Fortunately, the vast majority of hydrogen sulfide coming into contact with sea water is generated within the ocean, under low oxygen conditions that prevent it from oxidizing to sulfuric acid.

Rather than the acidifying effect of geologic hydrogen sulfide dissociating into bisulfide and sulfide ions, in situ generation of hydrogen sulfide by microorganisms is an acid neutralizing process.

SO4(2-) + CH4 = H2S + CO3(2-) + H2O + energy

So, what happens when H2S contacts sea water under low oxygen conditions?

It dissociates and reacts with iron, with the assistance of bacteria who make their living off the process, to form solid iron pyrite.

This post might have been good ... except that it comes from you. You won't answer any questions, so regrettably, even posts with potential must nonetheless be discarded.

What's an "acid proton"? You won't answer. You won't bother to explain anything because you are preaching exactly what you have been told to preach with no deviation allowed.
RE: How to find the definition of terms14-03-2023 21:23
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
[/quote]
This post might have been good ... except that it comes from you. You won't answer any questions, so regrettably, even posts with potential must nonetheless be discarded.

What's an "acid proton"? You won't answer. You won't bother to explain anything because you are preaching exactly what you have been told to preach with no deviation allowed.[/quote]

In the earlier years of my training as a scientist, there were a whole lot of terms I did not yet know the definition of.

I would see a term in a book or a paper, and I hadn't yet learned it anywhere else.

And there was usually nobody to ask.

I had to learn how to look up terms.

I know this can be kind of scary...

Just for fun, try using the Google search engine for "acid proton".

You will find there is no controversy.

You can go through the list, and you won't find any alternative to the standard understanding of what an acid proton is.

Ahhh.... But your sidekick will surely say: "Acid is not a proton".

And, of course, "Science is not Google."

And trolls are not the target audience for real world chemistry discussion.

A genuine question will get a sincere answer.
RE: and the false accusations, as always..14-03-2023 22:17
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:

What's an "acid proton"? You won't answer. You won't bother to explain anything because you are preaching exactly what you have been told to preach with no deviation allowed.

The question expresses resentment, because the answer hasn't already been given to a question that is now being asked for the first time.

The first reference to "acid proton" had only been made one post earlier.

I may be a highly accomplished and respected scientist, but I am not a mind reader.

It sounds like I owe an apology.

Sorry that I didn't anticipate your question before you had to ask it.

Sorry that you are too incompetent to know how to find the answer yourself.

And, of course, you had to throw in some insults along with the false accusation.

So the apology continues.

I am truly sorry that you are a scientifically illiterate and disgusting troll who gets off on insults and tells a whole lot of lies.

I suspect that your wife and kids are sorry about that too.
15-03-2023 04:57
(14414)
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The question expresses resentment, because the answer hasn't already been given to a question that is now being asked for the first time.

I may be a highly accomplished and respected scientist, but I am not a mind reader.

And, of course, you had to throw in some insults along with the false accusation.

I am truly sorry that you are a scientifically illiterate and disgusting troll who gets off on insults and tells a whole lot of lies.

Like I said, you won't answer any questions. You are here to preach and to insult ... and to troll the board ... and to spam if necessary.

In less than half the time it took you to make your post, you could have explained what an "acid proton" is supposed to be. However, that would be very counterproductive in your case because then you wouldn't be preaching, you would be helping, and we can't have that now, can we.

Your insincere apology is not accepted. If you were to peruse the threads in which you have posted, you will find that I have asked many very polite and valid questions ... all of which you have ignored. Now, I fully anticipated that you would ignore me completely but I asked nonetheless to make it abundantly clear that you are only interested in acquiring disciples who worship you and who are willing to be fooled into thinking that you are an accomplished scientist somehow.

You never answered the question of why anyone should listen to a man who claims to be a scientist but who considers requests for unambiguous definitions to be tantamount to torture. That is the very essence of a charlatan, a scam artist and a liar. Everything in science is unambiguously defined, but you go apoplectic at the mere thought of defining your terms. I'm sure now you can see how no rational adult can believe you are a scientist.

... and then on top of that you insist on mentioning "organic" carbon.

I highly recommend you pretend to be something else a little less technical, such as ... well, perhaps pretend to be a job seeker. I bet that would work. It would certainly be more believable.
15-03-2023 14:37
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Like I said, you won't answer any questions. You are here to preach and to insult ... and to troll the board ... and to spam if necessary.

In less than half the time it took you to make your post, you could have explained what an "acid proton" is supposed to be. However, that would be very counterproductive in your case because then you wouldn't be preaching, you would be helping, and we can't have that now, can we.

Your insincere apology is not accepted. If you were to peruse the threads in which you have posted, you will find that I have asked many very polite and valid questions ... all of which you have ignored. Now, I fully anticipated that you would ignore me completely but I asked nonetheless to make it abundantly clear that you are only interested in acquiring disciples who worship you and who are willing to be fooled into thinking that you are an accomplished scientist somehow.

You never answered the question of why anyone should listen to a man who claims to be a scientist but who considers requests for unambiguous definitions to be tantamount to torture. That is the very essence of a charlatan, a scam artist and a liar. Everything in science is unambiguously defined, but you go apoplectic at the mere thought of defining your terms. I'm sure now you can see how no rational adult can believe you are a scientist.

... and then on top of that you insist on mentioning "organic" carbon.

I highly recommend you pretend to be something else a little less technical, such as ... well, perhaps pretend to be a job seeker. I bet that would work. It would certainly be more believable.

Dude literally no one is required to answer the questions of a delusional schizzo like you, and no one does either

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
15-03-2023 14:42
(14414)
Swan wrote:Dude literally no one is required to answer the questions of a delusional schizzo like you, and no one does either

Says the schizzo who compulsively responds to me. Whatever I want you to do, I control you from my end and you OBEY on your end.

Your current orders: continue pretending to speak for everyone.
15-03-2023 17:09
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Dude literally no one is required to answer the questions of a delusional schizzo like you, and no one does either

Says the schizzo who compulsively responds to me. Whatever I want you to do, I control you from my end and you OBEY on your end.

I respond just so that I can specifically not answer your schizoid questions about who stole the Earth's climate.

Now take your chlorpromazine already.

Alternate.

Says the moron who believes that the Earth's climate has been stolen.

You need to take all of your meds on time, every day in order for them to work properly.

CIAO

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

Edited on 15-03-2023 17:19
15-03-2023 19:05
(14414)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I respond just so that I can specifically not answer ...

Good boy. You're a very good boy ... yes you are! Here's a Scooby Snack for you.

Now, just for my amusement, tell me about how you know your rocks are really moraines.
15-03-2023 19:29
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Good boy. You're a very good boy ... yes you are! Here's a Scooby Snack for you.

Now, just for my amusement, tell me about how you know your rocks are really moraines.

Still denying that there was ever an ice age, and believing that someone stole the Earth's climate.

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 15-03-2023 19:36
RE: Two trolls who deserve each other15-03-2023 21:34
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The two of you deserve each other.
15-03-2023 22:04
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The two of you deserve each other.

No one deserves me, but some are luckier than others.

ULTRA MAGA

RE: Hydrogen Sulfide - Acidity or Alkalinity for Sea Water?16-03-2023 07:00
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Im a BM wrote:

Hydrogen sulfide, H2S, can be a source of sulfuric acid added to sea water.

Where deep sea vents provide a conduit for hydrogen sulfide generated deeper in the earth, H2S vents up into sea water that contains free oxygen (O2).

Bacteria oxidize the hydrogen sulfide to form sulfuric acid.

Overall Reaction:

H2S + 2 O2 = SO4(2-) + 2 H+ or H2SO4

The H+ are "acid protons" or hydrogen ion.

Intermediate steps may first include dissociation into acid protons and
bisulfide or sulfide ions.

In this case a hydrogen ion or two was already added to sea water before the sulfides are oxidized to bisulfate or sulfate.

SO4(2-) + CH4 = HS- + HCO3- + H2O + energy

Under the low oxygen conditions where sulfate reduction occurs, sulfides cannot be oxidized to sulfuric acid.

Instead, it reacts with iron, with the assistance of bacteria who make their living off the process, to form solid iron pyrite.

Beyond merely being a process that does not generate sulfuric acid, this process DOES generate alkalinity

The HCO3- created from the oxidation of organic carbon via sulfate reduction is bicarbonate ion.

Bicarbonate ion supplies most of the alkalinity found in sea water.
[/quote]
17-03-2023 02:11
(14414)
Im a BM wrote:Hydrogen sulfide, H2S, can be a source of sulfuric acid added to sea water.

Is sulfuric acid something I want added to sea water? Is this to somehow offset the removal of sulfur from sea water by hydrothermal vents?

Im a BM wrote:The H+ are "acid protons" or hydrogen ion.

Thank you. I had never heard that term before. Now I have. It's a concatenation of the terms "proton" + "acid ion". All protons are effectively hydrogen atoms stripped of their electrons, which leads to the familiar term "H+" Adding protons increases acidity, hence the term "acid proton."

OK. "Acid proton" is added to the vocabulary.
RE: 99.9999% of protons on earth are NOT acid protons (H+)19-03-2023 01:53
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:

Thank you. I had never heard that term before. Now I have. It's a concatenation of the terms "proton" + "acid ion". All protons are effectively hydrogen atoms stripped of their electrons, which leads to the familiar term "H+" Adding protons increases acidity, hence the term "acid proton."

Protons are positively charged subatomic particles found in the nucleus of every atom of every element.

Carbon, for example, has atomic number 6 for its 6 protons in the nucleus.

None of these are associated with hydrogen atoms.

Even just among hydrogen atoms, 99.99% have protons that not hydrogen ions.

They are bound up in molecules like water.

Alkalinity is the capacity to neutralize hydrogen ions.
19-03-2023 03:34
(14414)
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Protons are positively charged subatomic particles found in the nucleus of every atom of every element.

So acidity is therefore the capacity to neutralize acidity, yes?
19-03-2023 13:39
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Absolutely, as you are a moron and can never know different

ULTRA MAGA

19-03-2023 21:38
(21599)
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The Parrot Killer

RE: Acidity Oxy Moron21-03-2023 12:28
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]

"So acidity is therefore the capacity to neutralize acidity, yes?" - IdaBM

Difficult to believe it is genuine question.

Or an attempt to instigate another word game?

Or is the "question" itself just an oxymoron?

It is certainly oxyMORONIC.
21-03-2023 13:14
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:Hydrogen sulfide, H2S, can be a source of sulfuric acid added to sea water.

Is sulfuric acid something I want added to sea water? Is this to somehow offset the removal of sulfur from sea water by hydrothermal vents?

Hey retard, any third grader knows that hydrothermal vents add Sulphur to the oceans and by megatons

So what is it like being bipolar? and a delusional schizoid sociopathic liberal troll?

ULTRA MAGA

22-03-2023 00:49
(14414)
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]

I made a typo. It was supposed to read "So acidity is therefore the capacity to neutralize alkalinity, yes?"

Of course, you ignored my question when I worded it correctly on 12 MAR 2023: "Would you define acidity as 'alkaline neutralizing capacity?'". But if I make a typo, you rush to respond, unable to recognize it for the typo it is.

Brilliant.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
22-03-2023 17:33
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]

I made a typo. It was supposed to read "So acidity is therefore the capacity to neutralize alkalinity, yes?"

Of course, you ignored my question when I worded it correctly on 12 MAR 2023: "Would you define acidity as 'alkaline neutralizing capacity?'". But if I make a typo, you rush to respond, unable to recognize it for the typo it is.

Brilliant.

So why did you ignore your own question?

ULTRA MAGA

22-03-2023 19:40
(21599)
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You are ACTUALLY GOING TO TRY TO JUSTIFY YOUR WACKY STATEMENT THAT AN ACID NEUTRALIZES AN ACID!!!

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 22-03-2023 19:40
RE: Misdirected troll-on-troll mockery23-03-2023 11:24
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You are ACTUALLY GOING TO TRY TO JUSTIFY YOUR WACKY STATEMENT THAT AN ACID NEUTRALIZES AN ACID!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... Such mockery is typical and to be expected, considering the source.

But does his second rate sidekick realize that he is mocking the dominant troll?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA is right, man.
24-03-2023 04:37
(14414)
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
[quote]

Brilliant.

So, no answer to the question?
RE: "You are a liar" is all they can say25-03-2023 19:06
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]
You are a liar.

You came to this site to preach non-science gibber-babble.

Chemistry is not your strength. You should give up pretending it is. You aren't going to find many on this site who will fall for your crap.

You do not have a degree in Chemistry. That much is painfully obvious.

Translation: "I wrote crap that appealed to scientifically illiterate leftist political hacktivists at local ANTIFA, BLM and Communist Party chapters!"

You were expecting respect based solely on the sheer incomprehensibility of your gibber-babble.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody is forcing you to troll this website.

After eight years of doing it, it's probably a hard habit for you to break.

Nobody can stop you from trolling.

But nobody is required to join in your stupid word games.

Or answer your stupid "questions".
25-03-2023 22:30
(21599)
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]
You are a liar.

You came to this site to preach non-science gibber-babble.

Chemistry is not your strength. You should give up pretending it is. You aren't going to find many on this site who will fall for your crap.

You do not have a degree in Chemistry. That much is painfully obvious.

Translation: "I wrote crap that appealed to scientifically illiterate leftist political hacktivists at local ANTIFA, BLM and Communist Party chapters!"

You were expecting respect based solely on the sheer incomprehensibility of your gibber-babble.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody is forcing you to troll this website.

After eight years of doing it, it's probably a hard habit for you to break.

Nobody can stop you from trolling.

But nobody is required to join in your stupid word games.

Or answer your stupid "questions".

So you can't answer his question, eh? What a typical attempt to bail out. It's not even original.

The Parrot Killer

RE: How could anyone fail to respect this guy?27-03-2023 13:27
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:

I knew you were a liar from the start.

... and when I suggested you learn basic chemistry,

... and like all liars who can't keep their lies straight, you

You were not trying to be understood by anyone. You were trying to baffle your audience with gibberbabble in order to fool your audience into believing you are so very smart, which you wouldn't have to do if you were actually smart. I realized, however, that you actually have some chemistry background because you were quick to acknowledge that the ocean is not acidifying, however your claims that the ocean is somehow losing its alkalinity shows that have been indoctrinated into the Climate Change cult, which requires the discarding and ultimately the disdain for science, instead referring to your WACKY religion as "science" ... or rather as "thettled thienth."

Then you staunchly refused to define any of your terms.

Then you staunchly refused to answer any questions.

Your blatant dishonesty would have been patently obvious to a room full of blind men.

Then you transformed into Thunder-Troll and began spamming this board to spite those who were discussing the science your religion abhors and demonizes.

Basically, you shouldn't be wondering how everyone knew you were a dishonest troll looking to hijack the board.

How could anyone fail to respect this guy?
27-03-2023 18:07
(14414)
Im a BM wrote:Nobody is forcing you to troll this website.

You are a liar. You came to this site to preach non-science gibber-babble. Specifically, you came to spread the good news of ... you. Your message of hope is that you are here to save the planet, through mangroves, hexavalent chromium abatement, sulfates in low-oxygen sea water, and your courtroom testimony.

You came here expecting worship with no questions.

Im a BM wrote:But nobody is required to join in your stupid word games.

Exactly. No charlatan is required to reveal that he is a fraud by somehow being obligated to define his terms. Of course, he is revealing himself to be a fraud by not defining his terms.

Im a BM wrote:Or answer your stupid "questions".

Exactly. No preacher is required to reveal that he is a fraud by somehow being obligated to provide answers that he does not have but that he nonetheless insists on pretending that he does. Of course, he is revealing himself to be a fraud by not answering questions posed to him.
Edited on 27-03-2023 18:11
27-03-2023 20:04
(21599)
Im a BM wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I knew you were a liar from the start.

... and when I suggested you learn basic chemistry,

... and like all liars who can't keep their lies straight, you

You were not trying to be understood by anyone. You were trying to baffle your audience with gibberbabble in order to fool your audience into believing you are so very smart, which you wouldn't have to do if you were actually smart. I realized, however, that you actually have some chemistry background because you were quick to acknowledge that the ocean is not acidifying, however your claims that the ocean is somehow losing its alkalinity shows that have been indoctrinated into the Climate Change cult, which requires the discarding and ultimately the disdain for science, instead referring to your WACKY religion as "science" ... or rather as "thettled thienth."

Then you staunchly refused to define any of your terms.

Then you staunchly refused to answer any questions.

Your blatant dishonesty would have been patently obvious to a room full of blind men.

Then you transformed into Thunder-Troll and began spamming this board to spite those who were discussing the science your religion abhors and demonizes.

Basically, you shouldn't be wondering how everyone knew you were a dishonest troll looking to hijack the board.

How could anyone fail to respect this guy?

Easy. It quite correctly points out your flaws, for one.
He doesn't put up with BS like yours either.

The Parrot Killer

RE: Buffering Basics Backwards19-04-2023 08:52
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]sealover wrote:If I take a liter of pure water and add just one drop of concentrated acid, I will see a huge drop in pH.

So, Mr. Chemistry Genius, the correct answer is that if you were to get your hands on some magical acid whose pH is 0.0, and you were to add one single drop to one liter/litre of pure water (pH 7.0) and one single drop to one liter/litre of sea water (pH 8.4), the impact of a drop of the acid would be more pronounced on the sea water than on the pure water.

Do the math.

[quote]

"..the impact of a drop of acid would be more pronounced on the sea water than on the pure water."

This is buffering basics backwards.

Given that sea water has more than 2000 times the alkalinity of pH 7 water, it would take more than 2000 times as many drops as acid to get the same pH shift.

Sea water is highly buffered with bicarbonate and much lesser amounts of carbonate. Little of the total alkalinity in sea arises from other oxyanions.

The only alkalinity or buffering in pH 7 water arises from the tiny concentration of hydroxide ion. That concentration is ten to the minus 7 molar.

Pure water contains only 0.0000001 moles per liter hydroxide ion.

So, the pH shift from adding one drop of acid to pure water is enormous.

On the other hand, add one drop of acid to pH 8.2 sea water and the pH will be...

8.2 you would need a pH meter with three decimal places to see the difference.

Whether or not the pH of the sea remains above pH 7 has nothing to do with concern about ocean "acidification", nor the definition of alkalinity.

It is the concentration of carbonate ion that has changed so much with anthropogenic inputs of additional carbonic acid as carbon dioxide emissions.

And if someone who actually understands chemistry is interested, there are some very effective and inexpensive solutions to restore alkalinity to the sea, even if we never get a handle on carbon dioxide emissions.
19-04-2023 16:43
(14414)
Im a BM wrote:It is the concentration of carbonate ion that has changed so much with anthropogenic inputs of additional carbonic acid as carbon dioxide emissions.

The saddest part of your story is that you could have been a very positive contributor to society. I have found a lot of your chemistry comments to be value-added ... when you stick to chemistry. Unfortunately, when you do use chemistry, it's only as a lead-in to your Global Warming religion. You have no way of checking a CO2 molecule's history and determining if its "currently anthropogenic" flag has been set, and you know this ... yet you lie in the name of preaching your faith.

Im a BM wrote:And if someone who actually understands chemistry is interested,

Everybody on this board understands the chemistry you discuss because when you actually discuss chemistry, you only touch upon very basic concepts. Regrettably, you tend to embellish your commentary with huge doses of science fiction. When your science fiction is highlighted, you play coy and pretend that nobody understands the basic chemistry.

I find it sad because I imagine all the useful reference material you could have been generating for ready access if you had only been willing to put your religion on the shelf momentarily.

Im a BM wrote: there are some very effective and inexpensive solutions to restore alkalinity to the sea, even if we never get a handle on carbon dioxide emissions.

Why should any rational adult believe that the ocean is losing alkalinity?
Page 6 of 11<<<45678>>>

Join the debate Restoring Alkalinity to the Ocean:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Geoengineering to Neutralize Ocean Acidification32520-04-2024 00:23
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
Nitrate Reduction - Powerful Greenhouse Gas Emission AND Alkalinity10205-06-2023 13:19
Californicators attempt ocean climate solution121-04-2023 18:18
Climate Change and Ocean Acidification Science - how to find "sealover" posts1318-08-2022 06:25
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact