Remember me
▼ Content

Mystery flower

Mystery flower10-04-2021 17:39
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Long time ago, I saw this kind of weird looking flowering plant. The flower stalk was 2-3 feet tall, with blood red flowers. The fruit was yellow, about the size of walnuts. The plant itself looks like a spiny pineapple, mean and nasty too. Got cut up pretty good, getting the fruit, which the plant didn't give up easy, had to be cut off the stalk. The seeds grew, and this is the first time any of mine flowered. It still has a few weeks, before it's in full bloom. The stalk is just getting started. Will update photos.

I've never been able to identify the plant, but would like to, before planting more seeds.
Attached image:

10-04-2021 17:41
(5197)
Close up of flower stalk.
Attached image:

10-04-2021 18:01
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
Red Pineapple
10-04-2021 18:44
(5197)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Red Pineapple

Nope, sorry. It has dozens of flowers on the stalk, which produce 'berries', lots of them. Think there was only 2 seeds per berry. Been a long time, could be thinking of something else exotic I brought home. I've got pineapples, had the red, and a few others. Have been trying to thin them out, to the one variety that is nearly core-less. Best fruit, and more productive than the others.

This plant does look very similar to the pineapple plants, least the green leafy part. Size, and leaves all the same. The leaves turned red on this one, and knew it was going to flower this year. The flower stalk is only a few days old. Should get another foot or two, before the flowers open. Going to see is I can get some better photos in the afternoon sun. Little bright at 9:00 AM.
10-04-2021 19:22
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
Best I could tell you is take some good quality pics and then post them up. Then right click and hit "search google for image".

Wow, those look tough to thin and cut back. Hell on a lawn mower for sure.
10-04-2021 23:04
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14438)
HarveyH55 wrote:I've never been able to identify the plant, but would like to, before planting more seeds.

I actually used Wikipedia on this one. Wikipedia is normally pretty good at listing biological taxonomy. Your pictured plant looks very similar to a type of Aloe Vera, a type of Agave, a type of Tillandsia and a type of Bromeliad.

All of these have identical taxonomies down to being monocots, i.e.

Kingdom: Plantae
Clade: Tracheophytes
Clade: Angiosperms
Clade: Monocots

But ...

Agave is Order:Asparagales, Family:Asparagaceae, Subfamily:Agavoideae

Aloe is Order:Asparagales, Family:Asphodelaceae, Subfamily:Asphodeloideae
Genus: Aloe

Bromeliads are: Clade:Commelinids, Order:Poales, Family:Bromeliaceae

Tillandsia are Bromeliads, subfamily Tillandsioideae, Genus:Tillandsia

Some Bromeliads:

Some Tillandsia:

11-04-2021 02:25
(5197)
http://www.worldfloraonline.org/search?query=Bromelia+agavifolia&view=&limit=24&start=0&sort=&facet=base.class_s%3Aorg.emonocot.model.Image

Looks pretty close.

I have trouble uploading photos here. Most look worst than they really are, from resizing, and heavy compression, to fit into the file size limit. I compress 85%, which is really bad, but works for this forum everytime.
11-04-2021 19:56
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14438)
HarveyH55 wrote:
http://www.worldfloraonline.org/search?query=Bromelia+agavifolia&view=&limit=24&start=0&sort=&facet=base.class_s%3Aorg.emonocot.model.Image

Looks pretty close.

I have trouble uploading photos here. Most look worst than they really are, from resizing, and heavy compression, to fit into the file size limit. I compress 85%, which is really bad, but works for this forum everytime.

Yup, this is your plant. Bromelia Pinguin- Heart of Flame Bromeliad

You can read more about it HERE.

Join the debate Mystery flower:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Mystery Seeds Sent From China?401-08-2020 17:46
The mystery of the Bermuda Triangle is killer waves529-12-2019 22:49
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact