Remember me
▼ Content

Mystery Seeds Sent From China?

Mystery Seeds Sent From China?29-07-2020 20:26
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
Saw it on the local news this morning. They had something on CNN at work, and a lengthy thing on the radio, driving home. Seems like random people are getting small bags of strange seeds in their mail, and none had ordered any. The government wants people to turn them in, and caution not open the bag, handle the seeds, and most definitely don't plant them.

Of course, there is a lot of speculation about what's going with the seeds, but it is weird. I have a good imagination, but really got nothing, as to why someone in China would distribute mystery seeds, to random addresses, around the world. I pretty sure I'm planting them, if I get a bag. Got to know what comes out of them. They'll be grown indoors, in an inclosed chamber. I bought a bunch of parts, to automate a small chamber style grow area, mostly to get stuff started, before putting them in the ground. I wanted to augment the CO2, but hadn't worked out the details. Have bought a sensor for CO2 yet either, but the cheap-ass ones should be fine. Basically, it would be ti regulate, so I'm not wasting a lot, and a little concerned about the 'greenhouse' effect. The 3 watt LED grow lights put off a lot of heat, so the 'amplifying effect' of CO2, might fry the young plants. Some free mystery seeds would be good motivation to get started on that project.
31-07-2020 19:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Saw it on the local news this morning. They had something on CNN at work, and a lengthy thing on the radio, driving home. Seems like random people are getting small bags of strange seeds in their mail, and none had ordered any. The government wants people to turn them in, and caution not open the bag, handle the seeds, and most definitely don't plant them.

Of course, there is a lot of speculation about what's going with the seeds, but it is weird. I have a good imagination, but really got nothing, as to why someone in China would distribute mystery seeds, to random addresses, around the world. I pretty sure I'm planting them, if I get a bag. Got to know what comes out of them. They'll be grown indoors, in an inclosed chamber. I bought a bunch of parts, to automate a small chamber style grow area, mostly to get stuff started, before putting them in the ground. I wanted to augment the CO2, but hadn't worked out the details. Have bought a sensor for CO2 yet either, but the cheap-ass ones should be fine. Basically, it would be ti regulate, so I'm not wasting a lot, and a little concerned about the 'greenhouse' effect. The 3 watt LED grow lights put off a lot of heat, so the 'amplifying effect' of CO2, might fry the young plants. Some free mystery seeds would be good motivation to get started on that project.

So you're going to "grow your own"? Well good for you. Are you going to use hydroponics to get the seeds started? I'm sure Florida's sandy soil, (loam is it?)
provides excellent drainage for horticulturists such as yourself.
Maybe you could grow some tomatoes and with some shade, grapes as well.
When I retire, I'll want to grow some of my own vegetables so I can make various recipes with them. You know, get into healthier cooking while enjoying a more tasty diet. Basically I'll be taking some time to enjoy life. And if I can afford it, I'll also get a horse and buggy. Take things a little more leisurely.
01-08-2020 04:21
(5195)
Update!

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/gardeners-claim-they-planted-mysterious-seeds-china/DLI43O76TBHH7BME6WBKDMMSLQ/

At least three gardeners in three states said they not only received the mysterious seeds that appear to have been sent from China, but they also planted them.
A woman in Kentucky said she received a packet of seeds in June and she planted them, WBKO reported.
The package, which had Chinese postage, was delivered to the home of Tiffany Lowery. She thought they were from her planting club and gift-giving Facebook group that she belongs to, so she planted them in a pot near her house and they spouted, WBKO reported.

All three belong to 'gift giving groups' on FaceBook.

The Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry has a suggestion if someone has not only received the seeds, but also planted them — use some type of herbicide to kill them, and if anything comes back, do it again. Also, wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water after touching anything when connected to the seed shipments, WAFB reported.
If you receive the seeds, the USDA instructs you to contact your state plant regulatory official or the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service state plant health director. Officials also said to keep everything, including the label until you get further instructions from either the state or federal government.

WTF is going on here? The Covid-19 initial response was reasonable, being that ground zero was very near to a biohazard lab. But plague seeds? Why would they order plants already planted, and grow, be destroyed? Wouldn't they be a little curious, and do a few test, be better able to identify the plants? Read the linked story, some other strange responses. The don't even send out a hazmat team, to make sure the scene is thoroughly sanitized, and safe from the demon seeds. Yet, they imply those seeds or potentially hazardous.

Sort of thinking this is some sort of democrat joke, meant to influence the 2020 election. There is no actual threat, like Covid-19, global warming, or Russian collusion. They just imply there is some life threatening crisis. If I get some seeds, I'm most definitely going to plant some. I just got know what our government is not telling us.
01-08-2020 17:01
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Update!

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/gardeners-claim-they-planted-mysterious-seeds-china/DLI43O76TBHH7BME6WBKDMMSLQ/

At least three gardeners in three states said they not only received the mysterious seeds that appear to have been sent from China, but they also planted them.
A woman in Kentucky said she received a packet of seeds in June and she planted them, WBKO reported.
The package, which had Chinese postage, was delivered to the home of Tiffany Lowery. She thought they were from her planting club and gift-giving Facebook group that she belongs to, so she planted them in a pot near her house and they spouted, WBKO reported.

All three belong to 'gift giving groups' on FaceBook.

The Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry has a suggestion if someone has not only received the seeds, but also planted them — use some type of herbicide to kill them, and if anything comes back, do it again. Also, wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water after touching anything when connected to the seed shipments, WAFB reported.
If you receive the seeds, the USDA instructs you to contact your state plant regulatory official or the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service state plant health director. Officials also said to keep everything, including the label until you get further instructions from either the state or federal government.

WTF is going on here? The Covid-19 initial response was reasonable, being that ground zero was very near to a biohazard lab. But plague seeds? Why would they order plants already planted, and grow, be destroyed? Wouldn't they be a little curious, and do a few test, be better able to identify the plants? Read the linked story, some other strange responses. The don't even send out a hazmat team, to make sure the scene is thoroughly sanitized, and safe from the demon seeds. Yet, they imply those seeds or potentially hazardous.

Sort of thinking this is some sort of democrat joke, meant to influence the 2020 election. There is no actual threat, like Covid-19, global warming, or Russian collusion. They just imply there is some life threatening crisis. If I get some seeds, I'm most definitely going to plant some. I just got know what our government is not telling us.

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) is warning Floridians about unsolicited packages of seeds received through the mail. And we may now know why they are showing up in mailboxes across the country.
As of Tuesday, FDACS has received at least 631 reports from Florida residents, including some in Escambia County, reporting having received suspicious seed packages. The content of the seed packages is unknown at this time.

The USDA said Tuesday that the seeds to be part of a "brushing" scam.
"At this time, we don't have any evidence indicating this is something other than a "brushing scam" where people receive unsolicited items from a seller who then posts false customer reviews to boost sales. USDA is currently collecting seed packages from recipients and will test their contents and determine if they contain anything that could be of concern to U.S. agriculture or the environment," the USDA said in a statement.

"Plant seeds from unknown sources may introduce dangerous pathogens, diseases, or invasive species into Florida, putting agriculture and our state's plant, animal, and human health at risk," said Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried. "Anyone receiving these suspicious seed packets should not open them, should not plant them, should limit contact with them, and should report them immediately to both our department and USDA officials."
http://www.northescambia.com/2020/07/mysterious-seeds-arriving-in-the-mail-from-china-florida-is-warning-dont-plant-them
01-08-2020 17:46
(5195)
But why send seeds, or anything at all? Fake online reviews can be done by anyone, anywhere. Seems a little weak, doubt there are many 'seeds' sold online, that would really make such a scam worthwhile. 'Verified Purchase' reviews, really wouldn't be scammable, since most everything online, is a data mine. It's pretty easy to verify who bought what, when and where. Perhaps the cheapest data the scammers can buy, is where someone purchased something, not the what, or how much they spent. 'Verified Purchase' would of course be a scam in it's self, if the only requirement, is that the person only need to have bought something from the site, and therefore, they can offer a review of anything, or everything on the site, whether they ordered it or not. Reviews don't really mean a whole lot anymore. Use to be you could go through the bad reviews, and kind of pick up a common theme, usually the customer was a clueless moron. But, they are more brand bashing, to get a customer to buy elsewhere. I buy a lot of electronics parts, and there isn't that much difference in the exact same module, as they are made in the same factory, by the thousands.

I still don't see somebody, actually needing to ship out something like seeds, to people that ordered nothing, just to post fake reviews. Mystery seeds are fairly useless, if you don't know what they are, and have no instructions on growing seasons/conditions. Anyone interested in growing, would want to know more, ask questions. Questions, are what tend to screw up scams. Seeds, packaging, and postage are quite an investment, for a basically worthless review, that's really not going to have a huge effect of a persons decision to purchase anything of value. Most people are aware, that reviews are mostly garbage anymore.

People have bought seeds online for a long time. Seems like the same risks existed, long before Mystery Seeds. I've shopped for seeds online, but never actually made the purchase. The price seemed a little high, and the likelihood of success in getting the started, even if I got the correct seeds, in good condition, seemed kind of low. The benefit of success, was only a maybe anyway.

Still think the government knows/suspects something really bad about these Mystery Seeds, and reluctant to come clean.

Join the debate Mystery Seeds Sent From China?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
General motors buys 20 million parts a month from china028-12-2023 19:18
The junk F35 has been grounded, and one may be on the way to China or Russia018-09-2023 23:07
Navy sailors Jinchao Wei and Petty Officer Wenheng Zhao have been arrested for spying for China004-08-2023 03:19
COVID origins 'may have been tied' to China's bioweapons program: GOP report4328-12-2022 20:17
The USA, China & Other Nations Have 10 Days Left To Choose Their Fate106-01-2022 04:00
Articles
Appendix C - China's Environmental Crisis
Appendix A - Tracing China's Climate Policy
Analysis - Explaining China's Climate Policy
The Dependent Variable - How Ambitious Is China's Climate Policy
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact