Remember me
▼ Content

Like Death and Taxes, Something Else We Can Rely On

Like Death and Taxes, Something Else We Can Rely On13-08-2020 02:40
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
It's hot in the desert. I am so glad that people are finally starting to realize this.
Just an FYI, it rains a lot in Seattle. And yet people flock to that area when it has few natural resources. You know, arable land, water, temperate weather.
You'd think that they'd be promoting solar energy research there like Iowa is one of the nation's leaders in pursuing wind turbines. I'm just not search what growing corn has to do with wind turbines.
It's almost sad to think about it but eastern Washington and Oregon would make more sense because no one else needs the water from the Columbia River. And with a few reservoirs, snow melt might provide a fair amount of water. Consider snow melt is a springtime phenomena so if it's conserved, then it could help to make those 2 regions less dependent on summer rains.

Phoenix has found yet another way to break heat records.

The Arizona city known for scorching heat has had 35 days in which temperatures reached 110 degrees or more in 2020, breaking a record set there in 2011, KTAR reports.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/phoenix-breaks-record-days-scorching-185538937.html
14-08-2020 00:03
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
James___ wrote:
It's hot in the desert.

Not necessarily. Antarctica, for example, sees some of the coldest temperatures recorded on Earth.
James___ wrote:
I am so glad that people are finally starting to realize this.

Apparently you think of a desert as necessarily hot. It isn't.
James___ wrote:
Just an FYI, it rains a lot in Seattle.

Not that much. We don't get much rain in Seattle, but what we do get takes a long time to fall. Most days here are thick mist to light rain. Very rarely we might get a day or two of torrential rain in some areas.
Mostly it's just cloudy with light rain. During the autumn season we can get some nasty fogs here though. Thicker than London.
James___ wrote:
And yet people flock to that area when it has few natural resources.

It has plenty.
James___ wrote:
You know, arable land, water, temperate weather.

Lots of arable land. Plenty of water (remember, you said it rains a lot!), the weather is quite temperate, due to our proximity to the Pacific Ocean.

Temperate, but wet.
James___ wrote:
You'd think that they'd be promoting solar energy research there like Iowa is one of the nation's leaders in pursuing wind turbines. I'm just not search what growing corn has to do with wind turbines.

Some farmers use wind turbines to pump water to irrigate their corn.
James___ wrote:
It's almost sad to think about it but eastern Washington and Oregon would make more sense because no one else needs the water from the Columbia River.

No? What about the houses, the apple and apricot orchards, the wheat fields, the cattle, the boaters, the fisherman?
James___ wrote:
And with a few reservoirs, snow melt might provide a fair amount of water.

The Columbia river is from snowmelt, idiot. As for reservoirs, try looking at Lake Roosevelt sometime.
James___ wrote:
Consider snow melt is a springtime phenomena so if it's conserved, then it could help to make those 2 regions less dependent on summer rains.

Snows melt right through spring and summer in the mountains. Some of our mountains still have plenty of snow on them, even though it's August.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
14-08-2020 16:12
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
I'll add in that when I traveled through the Bighorn Mountains (Wyoming) and went to Glacier National Park (Montana) some years ago {both during the same trip in the middle of Summer}, there was plenty of snow left on the mountains yet. From what I saw, it looked like many of the mountains in that area (especially the higher the elevation) would see snowcaps year round...
14-08-2020 19:51
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
gfm7175 wrote: I'll add in that when I traveled through the Bighorn Mountains (Wyoming) and went to Glacier National Park (Montana) some years ago {both during the same trip in the middle of Summer}, there was plenty of snow left on the mountains yet. From what I saw, it looked like many of the mountains in that area (especially the higher the elevation) would see snowcaps year round...

Global Warming predicts exactly that. All you have done is confirm the TRUTH of Global Warming. Now that you have witnessed with your own eyes what all the scientists have PREDICTED would happen, are you still going to be a stupid denieralist or are you finally going to accept The Data and join the rest of us Climate Scientists in being unhappy that it's already too late which is why we need to act now and put an end to the burning of fossils?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-08-2020 20:15
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
It's hot in the desert.

Not necessarily. Antarctica, for example, sees some of the coldest temperatures recorded on Earth.
James___ wrote:
I am so glad that people are finally starting to realize this.

Apparently you think of a desert as necessarily hot. It isn't.
James___ wrote:
Just an FYI, it rains a lot in Seattle.

Not that much. We don't get much rain in Seattle, but what we do get takes a long time to fall. Most days here are thick mist to light rain. Very rarely we might get a day or two of torrential rain in some areas.
Mostly it's just cloudy with light rain. During the autumn season we can get some nasty fogs here though. Thicker than London.
James___ wrote:
And yet people flock to that area when it has few natural resources.

It has plenty.
James___ wrote:
You know, arable land, water, temperate weather.

Lots of arable land. Plenty of water (remember, you said it rains a lot!), the weather is quite temperate, due to our proximity to the Pacific Ocean.

Temperate, but wet.
James___ wrote:

Some farmers use wind turbines to pump water to irrigate their corn.
James___ wrote:
It's almost sad to think about it but eastern Washington and Oregon would make more sense because no one else needs the water from the Columbia River.

No? What about the houses, the apple and apricot orchards, the wheat fields, the cattle, the boaters, the fisherman?
James___ wrote:
And with a few reservoirs, snow melt might provide a fair amount of water.

The Columbia river is from snowmelt, idiot. As for reservoirs, try looking at Lake Roosevelt sometime.
James___ wrote:
Consider snow melt is a springtime phenomena so if it's conserved, then it could help to make those 2 regions less dependent on summer rains.

Snows melt right through spring and summer in the mountains. Some of our mountains still have plenty of snow on them, even though it's August.

Columbia river is the sum of a lot of rivers and streams. I swam across it three times as a kid. On Labor Day, the use to have a Cross Channel swim, were they took us across, almost to the Washington side in boats, and we jumped in a swam. It was about a mile, but it was cold and choppy, seemed a lot longer.

Also know that quite a bit of the water comes from mountain storm. Use to fish the Sandy River, and Eagle Creek quite a bit. We didn't exactly follow the rules and regulations, as kids often do, so are fishing spots were difficult for adults get to, specially those in uniform. Our best (most productive for salmon) was a tough trail. near the water, and mostly cliff, just a narrow path. That narrow path would be under water in 15-20 minutes, if got got a light sprinkle. If it started rain hard, we had to ditch the gear, and anything else, and hurry, need both hands free. Our gear, wasn't really worth much, not the tradition pole and reel, usually. Never lost anything, don't think many people fished there.

Sandy River wasn't that bad, though if we out on the rocks and boulders, we need to get back to shore, or risk getting a little river wet. Probably not a fun swim either...
14-08-2020 21:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:
I'll add in that when I traveled through the Bighorn Mountains (Wyoming) and went to Glacier National Park (Montana) some years ago {both during the same trip in the middle of Summer}, there was plenty of snow left on the mountains yet. From what I saw, it looked like many of the mountains in that area (especially the higher the elevation) would see snowcaps year round...

Glacier retreat in the Yukon Territory of Canada has revealed artifacts. Some about 1,600 years old. That is about when the Roman Warm Period ended. Other "artifacts" were more recent. Hopefully you guys can understand that if melting glaciers reveal artifacts over 1,000 years old that the northern hemisphere has both warm and cool periods.

In the 20 or so years since they've been travelling to ice patches in the summer, combing the edges to see if anything had melted out, researchers and their First Nations partners have found a stunning collection of tools.

Among them: a 9,400-year-old, two-metre long, wooden spear; ancient arrows with intact feathers still attached to the shaft and one of the only completely intact atlatl spear throwers ever discovered in the world.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-in-the-arctic-scientists-and-first-nations-scramble-to-save-artifacts/

Archaeologists from the United Kingdom and Norway have surveyed the edges of glaciers in Norway's highest mountains in Oppland since 2011 as part of the Glacier Archaeology Program and its Secrets of the Ice Project. They've uncovered thousands of objects that date as far back as 4,000 B.C., including wooden skis, near complete bronze-age arrows and wooden shafts, Viking swords, clothing and the skulls of pack horses.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/2000-artifacts-pulled-edge-norways-melting-glaciers-180967949/
14-08-2020 21:41
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote: I'll add in that when I traveled through the Bighorn Mountains (Wyoming) and went to Glacier National Park (Montana) some years ago {both during the same trip in the middle of Summer}, there was plenty of snow left on the mountains yet. From what I saw, it looked like many of the mountains in that area (especially the higher the elevation) would see snowcaps year round...

Global Warming predicts exactly that. All you have done is confirm the TRUTH of Global Warming. Now that you have witnessed with your own eyes what all the scientists have PREDICTED would happen, are you still going to be a stupid denieralist or are you finally going to accept The Data and join the rest of us Climate Scientists in being unhappy that it's already too late which is why we need to act now and put an end to the burning of fossils?

I'm now gonna join the fight against Global Warming... I'm gonna go out and buy myself a Nissan Leaf in order to put an end to the burning of fossils... and I don't wish to hear your BS about the burning of fossils providing the fuel for the electricity that I fuel my Leaf with............
Edited on 14-08-2020 21:45
15-08-2020 01:37
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I'm now gonna join the fight against Global Warming... I'm gonna go out and buy myself a Nissan Leaf in order to put an end to the burning of fossils... and I don't wish to hear your BS about the burning of fossils providing the fuel for the electricity that I fuel my Leaf with............

Why don't you just say that you're lazy and self centred? You really don't have any interests, do you?
15-08-2020 03:38
(3314)
James___ wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Why don't you just say that you're lazy and self centred? You really don't have any interests, do you?

I am lazy and self centered. I have no interests whatsoever.

What do I win?
15-08-2020 03:46
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
gfm7175 wrote:I am lazy and self centered. I have no interests whatsoever.

What do I win?

Attached image:

15-08-2020 06:47
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:I am lazy and self centered. I have no interests whatsoever.

What do I win?

Is that him kissing his own ass? Or is he kissing his own ass?
They both look the same. Butt I guess he's used to kissing "trophy". Or is that sucking "trophy"

oops, he does have an interest.

Edited on 15-08-2020 06:48
15-08-2020 18:21
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
IBdaMann wrote:

If it's already too late to act, why act at all? We can't stop the train wreck of catastrophic events, of epic, biblical proportions, certainly we have the power (from burning fossil fuels), and resources, to prepare and survive. Why waste time, money, and resources on a fight, that will accomplish nothing useful in surviving the Apocalypse propagandized by The Great Al Gore?

If Russians can send probes to Venus, that survive long enough to transmit images, and some sort of random data, should we be able to survive a couple of degrees warming? The 'alarming rate' is about 1-2 C per century. Very few people actually live a century. Even on the less likely premise, that global warming exists, we have plenty of time to adapt to the trend.
15-08-2020 23:42
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

If it's already too late to act, why act at all?

First, one must be able to specifically identify what problem to act upon. So far, the Church of Global Warming has not been able to define 'global warming' or 'climate change'.
HarveyH55 wrote:
We can't stop the train wreck of catastrophic events,

What train wreck of catastrophic events?
HarveyH55 wrote:
of epic, biblical proportions,

I can't recall anywhere in the Bible that the Church of Global Warming is even mentioned.
HarveyH55 wrote:
certainly we have the power (from burning fossil fuels), and resources, to prepare and survive.

Survive what? BTW, if you want to keep warm, don't bother with fossil fuels. Fossils don't burn. Use coal, oil, natural gas, wood, whatever's handy.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Why waste time, money, and resources on a fight, that will accomplish nothing useful in surviving the Apocalypse propagandized by The Great Al Gore?

Al Gore's predicted Apocalypse was supposed to have already happened. Like so many others predicting the End of the World, he missed too.
HarveyH55 wrote:
If Russians can send probes to Venus, that survive long enough to transmit images, and some sort of random data, should we be able to survive a couple of degrees warming? The 'alarming rate' is about 1-2 C per century.

Just another random number. Ignore it.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Very few people actually live a century.

It's actually been getting more common.

HarveyH55 wrote:
Even on the less likely premise, that global warming exists, we have plenty of time to adapt to the trend.

People regularly go through an annual temperature range from below freezing to 100 deg F each year. A trend is not even definable. People live in climates from Antarctica to the Equator, and from marshland to desert.

Yeah. i think we can cope.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate Like Death and Taxes, Something Else We Can Rely On:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Pro-Palestinian protester arrested in death of Jewish man Paul Kessler. Told you so.016-11-2023 21:56
Judge denied immunity, going to prison, which will mean death by beating or stabbing003-11-2023 20:57
Hit and run driver shot to death after running over mother and child521-01-2023 14:15
Wild video shows NYC bodega worker stabbing looser to death309-07-2022 13:42
Taxes5625-01-2022 20:30
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact