Remember me
▼ Content

Jellyfish Blooms! Another Climate Change Catastrophe...

Jellyfish Blooms! Another Climate Change Catastrophe...20-09-2019 01:13
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
http://energyskeptic.com/2019/jellyfish-take-over-oceans/

I saw a little clip for the news to day, but missed the story. Their website didn't have any recent jellyfish stories, just the usually warnings. So decided it should pop, if I hit Google... The above article, was the most recent, but still months old. Got even worse, down in the comments, apparently it's a re-post, from 2013...

Still, it was an amusing horror-type story, in the climate change tradition we've all been entertain by, for the past few decades. Wonder if Stephen King is a climatologist?

It's got plenty of points, where they contradict themselves. Being a few years old, there are several claims and predictions, that turned out obviously false, and failed.

Apparently, jellyfish, are the cockroach of the oceans. Been around forever, near impossible to kill, thrive everywhere. Not sure about other coastal areas, but like algae blooms, jellyfish blooms happen every year. Actually, worse than algae, which is general a once a year issue, jellyfish blooms happen several times a year, usually different species though. Jellyfish can be pesky anytime, the blooms are mass events, with advisories and warnings.

Anyway, it's a poorly written, over hyped article, classic environmentalist nightmare stuff. It's full of other obvious crap, besides jellyfish. I don't know about all oceans, or large species ocean fish, but we have two recently around Florida, no longer considered endangered, and restrictions reduced or removed, recently. California salmon made a huge come back this year, so they jumped right in and over fished it, fist time in years. California style conservation, at it's best... First indication they were doing some good, they go out and kill the progress. Guess California likes play the victim too much.
20-09-2019 05:20
VernerHornungProfile picture★☆☆☆☆
(133)
HarveyH55 wrote:
http://energyskeptic.com/2019/jellyfish-take-over-oceans/

...Apparently, jellyfish, are the cockroach of the oceans. Been around forever, near impossible to kill, thrive everywhere. Not sure about other coastal areas, but like algae blooms, jellyfish blooms happen every year. Actually, worse than algae, which is general a once a year issue, jellyfish blooms happen several times a year, usually different species though...

Death by Portuguese man of war. An even better reason to stay a mile above sea level.
~

HarveyH55 wrote:
It's full of other obvious crap, besides jellyfish. I don't know about all oceans, or large species ocean fish, but we have two recently around Florida, no longer considered endangered, and restrictions reduced or removed, recently...

Then again, rod & reel fishing in February sounds nice.

There are problems with worldwide ocean fish stocks, but that's because they keep overfishing them, and for once the US ain't the worst offender. Countries like China, Russia, Japan, Korea, Peru and Norway where the economy has a large fishing sector, are. The US catches somewhat more than Norway, but we're 65 times as many people. Philadelphia metro has more people than Norway does.

Never try to solve an NP-complete problem on your own with pencil & paper.
20-09-2019 11:00
(5197)
Animal populations are an estimate, usually by density in a small sample area. The oceans are huge, pretty difficult to actual do an estimate at all. Fishing can be bad for several reasons, population naturally fluctuate. Fish might normally stick to certain areas and patterns, but they also will deviate to follow their food, or other more ideal environmental factors. They aren't robots, they do what's best for their survival. Basically, all we need to do most of the time, is step back a little, and recovery generally happens pretty quick. Meddling usually causes other problems, there are no quick fixes. We farm a bunch, dump them in the ocean, just easy food for other species, which boost their population, make recovery difficult for the species we wanted to help. Those farmed fish are also a sudden drain on food for there species, that share the same resources. Most everything has been doing great on it's own, long before man, and don't need help, just need to be left alone.
20-09-2019 20:01
VernerHornungProfile picture★☆☆☆☆
(133)
Alice Friedemann appears to be a middle class married lady who's come to believe the collapse of civilization is upon us. She's done plenty of reading and gotten Springer to publish her ebook, When Trucks Stop Running ($54.99), but anyone can publish at Springer now and the sales page says zilch about her background that would convince me she's a polymath covering jellyfish in the Ediacaran Period to guns killing off the Native Americans to lease finance in the Kern County oil patch.

I get it. Our civilization won't last forever. Nothing does. There's not much we can do about that. What's so progressive about blowing notes of gloom town & homestead while we wait for an event that may be hundreds or thousands of years away as easily as tomorrow? (Watch On the Beach for a movie example from the 1950s.)

I'm a bit ignorant on oceans myself, but I think most of the sea life is near shores, where the nutrients are. Continental shelves or banks—like Grand Banks off Newfoundland where all the cod are. That helps oceanographers get their estimates by limiting the search area.

Never try to solve an NP-complete problem on your own with pencil & paper.
20-09-2019 20:49
(5197)
VernerHornung wrote:
Alice Friedemann appears to be a middle class married lady who's come to believe the collapse of civilization is upon us. She's done plenty of reading and gotten Springer to publish her ebook, When Trucks Stop Running ($54.99), but anyone can publish at Springer now and the sales page says zilch about her background that would convince me she's a polymath covering jellyfish in the Ediacaran Period to guns killing off the Native Americans to lease finance in the Kern County oil patch.

I get it. Our civilization won't last forever. Nothing does. There's not much we can do about that. What's so progressive about blowing notes of gloom town & homestead while we wait for an event that may be hundreds or thousands of years away as easily as tomorrow? (Watch On the Beach for a movie example from the 1950s.)

I'm a bit ignorant on oceans myself, but I think most of the sea life is near shores, where the nutrients are. Continental shelves or banks—like Grand Banks off Newfoundland where all the cod are. That helps oceanographers get their estimates by limiting the search area.

Some species do ride the coastline. The base of the food chain needs sun light, so shallow water. Shallow water is a safe haven for young, or small fish as well. Commercial fishing boats go way off shore, usually out about a month, longer if fishing ain't good. Big fish need the deeper waters, and room to run, need to move to breath. Charter boats can barely get you out far enough to get the big fish, unless you want to be out more than a day. They often get luck, because there is a lot of easy food closer to land, but it's not really where the spend most of their time.

Join the debate Jellyfish Blooms! Another Climate Change Catastrophe...:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Virus Pandemic NCOV COVID Only Hasten The Natural Catastrophe Mega Disasters216-07-2021 07:31
Major Climate catastrophe, Happening Now!410-12-2020 23:37
Technology Stuffs Cause Climate Change Global Warming, Bring Natural Catastrophe Disaster Sooner310-09-2020 22:39
Many Secret Societies Groups Governments Are Making Many Catastrophe Deadly Mistakes114-08-2020 06:21
Climate Change consequences-climate catastrophe1301-06-2019 17:06
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact