Remember me
▼ Content

I need help! (No, I'm not crazy, much...)

I need help! (No, I'm not crazy, much...)09-04-2021 19:33
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
End of February, I had vinyl fencing installed, and something has been bugging me since. The posts are hollow, 5" X 5", 70" tall. There are cheap plastic caps on each post, that probably would just pop off, when we start getting some wind. Had about half a tube of silicone caulk left over from replacing the kitchen faucet. so gave each a couple squirts, to hopefully not have to chase them down or replace.

Anyhow, those hollow posts, and the caps, keep going through my twisted mind, and seem like such a wasted opportunity. Post caps come in several styles, even solar led caps. Just seem a little boring, and likely some potential for profits. One idea I had, that's been really sticking to me, is sort of a wind harp, type post cap. I really don't know much about musical instruments, and doubt the sound coming out, would qualify as 'music', but neither does a lot of the crap they play on the radio. Anyway, there are several ways to get the wind to make some sound, but I don't really know where to look, or the math needed, to design the proper opening. My 3d printer is big enough to print some test caps, but I have so many design questions.

The wind, doesn't always blow the same direction here, actually, it can be from any direction, and changes frequently. Need something to either direct the wind, or something. Not sure if the 'blowing across the opening of a whiskey jug' scheme works on a larger scale. Simply putting bottles outside, seldom make a sound, unless the fall, and break. There must be some math, that determines the opening needed, for the volume of a resonant chamber. How much wind it needed, and such. Just have no idea what I'm looking for. Guessing there would be some control over the tone, so you could have different posts play a different note. I'm sure the neighbors will get pissed. But, it could also be useful as pest repellents, not just the two-legged kind.

Anyway, I'm on vacation for a week, and only a couple home projects to deal with. Probably won't get to the point of printing a test cap, but hope to find what I need, to design something. I really do see a market for something like this, since people probably lose those caps often. Wide range of things that can be done, with the basic idea. I could manufacture here at home. If I keep the price reasonable, probably not much competition for a while, unless they become highly popular.
10-04-2021 19:06
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Google really sucks! They are all about selling something, rather than searching. I try to find a fence cap file, to build from, or modify. Figured some body must have designed something to print, since the caps go for $4-$10, each...

The wind harp idea, looks a little more complex, least for a fence post. So I was looking for more of a whistle or flute option. Couldn't find anything large scale, powered by wind. Will keep at it.
10-04-2021 20:15
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21612)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Google really sucks! They are all about selling something, rather than searching. I try to find a fence cap file, to build from, or modify. Figured some body must have designed something to print, since the caps go for $4-$10, each...

The wind harp idea, looks a little more complex, least for a fence post. So I was looking for more of a whistle or flute option. Couldn't find anything large scale, powered by wind. Will keep at it.

Try DuckDuckGo.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate I need help! (No, I'm not crazy, much...):

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Crazy...4124-10-2019 05:24
Jennifer Francis: Crazy Weather and the Arctic Meltdown1727-05-2018 01:39
Another crazy El Nino week1529-11-2015 13:00
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact