Remember me
▼ Content

Fossil fuels



Page 2 of 4<1234>
10-03-2021 14:35
James___
★★★★★
(4480)
duncan61 wrote:
How about this gem
How is oil formed?
Millions of years ago, algae and plants lived in shallow seas. After dying and sinking to the seafloor, the organic material mixed with other sediments and was buried. Over millions of years under high pressure and high temperature, the remains of these organisms transformed into what we know today as fossil fuels.5 Oct 2018
So the people who believe this are part of a religion and it is not true?



As the "true believers" say;
We're just not capable of understanding anything. And with all of the 1s and the 0s that computers use to communicate with, just random numbers.
10-03-2021 15:28
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(9089)
duncan61 wrote: Crude oil is formed from the remains of dead organisms (diatoms) such as algae and zooplankton that existed millions of years ago in a marine environment.

Nope. You EVADED my question and just repeated your WACKY faith.

Why should any rational adult believe your hogwash?

Absolutely no living thing that dies ever decays into petroleum. Graveyards are not universally being eyed by Big Oil for drilling. When a court orders a body exhumed for some investigation, no crude oil is discovered upon opening the casket.

From our understanding of the Fischer-Tropsch process, hydrocarbons require intense heat and pressure to form. There is no intense heat and pressure in the fossil record ... deep in the earth's crust and mantle, yes but certainly not up near the surface where life lives. Archaeological sites are not knee-deep in oil.

So what are you talking about?

duncan61 wrote: These organisms were the dominant forms of life on earth at the time.

What makes you think that they would somehow miraculously decay into petroleum? Hydrocarbons require intense heat and pressure.

The earth produces hydrocarbons, not decaying organic matter.

.


A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
10-03-2021 21:44
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
joseph369 wrote:
Now that we have passed the holocene climate optimum and are heading into the next ice age it occurred to me that it's a good thing we have all these fossil fuels on hand. The question is, how long will they last as global temperatures drop by 10C and people start freezing their butts off? A few hundred years maybe? One thing that's certain is that they will all be gone before the glacial cycle is over.


We don't burn fossils for fuel. Fossils don't burn.

What makes you think ice ages even happen at all? It's certainly not any theory of science.


Sheesh dude... Because the obliquity is decreasing.

Today, on March 6, 2021 at noon, Earth's axial tilt, or mean obliquity was 23.43652°.

Earth's mean obliquity today is about 0.00001° less than 30 days ago.

Earth's axial tilt is said to oscillate between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees every 41000 years.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
It looks like the nicest weather was about 11000 years ago, and coolest weather in 10000 years


How do you know? Were you there?


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
10-03-2021 22:14
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
duncan61 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
duncan61 wrote:A lot off crude was formed a long time ago by decomposing flora and fauna

Why should any rational adult believe that?

Absolutely no living thing that dies ever decays into petroleum. Graveyards are not universally being eyed by Big Oil for drilling. When a court orders a body exhumed for some investigation, no crude oil is discovered upon opening the casket.

From our understanding of the Fischer-Tropsch process, hydrocarbons require intense heat and pressure to form. There is no intense heat and pressure in the fossil record ... deep in the earth's crust and mantle, yes but certainly not up near the surface where life lives. Archaeological sites are not knee-deep in oil.

So what are you talking about?


.


Crude oil is formed from the remains of dead organisms (diatoms) such as algae and zooplankton that existed millions of years ago in a marine environment. These organisms were the dominant forms of life on earth at the time.
Does this not occur on your planet?


You don't know what (if any) were dominant forms of life on Earth. That's a religion.

Apparently you are completely unfamiliar with the Fischer-Tropsche process. All you need to make any hydrocarbon is heat, pressure, some carbon, some hydrogen, and iron for a catalyst. All of these conditions exist underground pretty much everywhere you go.

Oil is found well below any fossil layer, and well below any 'marine' layer. It percolates up through the rock and becomes trapped here and there close enough to the surface to make it practical to drill (in some cases, it reaches the surface and you can just scoop it up).

The Earth is a giant Fischer-Tropsche machine.

Look at where the big oil fields are located:
The Mideast. The north slopes of Alaska. The North Sea. The Caribbean all the way up into Texas and Pennsylvania. Off the shore of the SOTC and on down into Mexico.

All along plate edges, especially where spreading action is taking place.

If you are willing to go deep enough, you can find oil anywhere you care to drill. No 'marine' seabed necessary. The Russians, going deep enough, found oil (very deep!) in the middle of Siberia. The States and Canada, using new techniques, can make use of oil containing sandstone in the middle of the continent. It's always been there, just never practical to get at until recently.

Methane can come from bacterial action, or from a Fischer-Tropsche reaction. That's why methane is often found with oil fields.

Crude is either 'sweet' or 'sour'. In other words, it may or may not contain sulfur (which makes oil 'sour'), which comes from volcanic activity. Some wells are poisonous, as they contain hydrogen sulfide (a toxic gas, very dangerous, as it forms sulfuric acid in your lungs).

It is the same gas that appears in some volcanic eruptions.

Oil is a renewable resource. So is natural gas.

Oil wells that have been pumped dry can be capped, and they are full of oil again after a fairly short time. Entire fields behave this way.

It doesn't take millions of years to make oil. It can be done using equipment by us in a few hours. It's not practical for us to make our own oil in most cases, since it takes more energy to put into heating and pressuring the gasses to make oil than you get by burning the resulting oil. Nothin's free.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
10-03-2021 22:14
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
duncan61 wrote:
How about this gem
How is oil formed?
Millions of years ago, algae and plants lived in shallow seas. After dying and sinking to the seafloor, the organic material mixed with other sediments and was buried. Over millions of years under high pressure and high temperature, the remains of these organisms transformed into what we know today as fossil fuels.5 Oct 2018
So the people who believe this are part of a religion and it is not true?

It is a religion.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
10-03-2021 22:53
James___
★★★★★
(4480)
The simple reason why some people don't believe in fossils is because they don't exist yet. You'll need to wait 100 Million years. And then they'll be able to say what a fossil "is". It's just that we're living in "pre-history".
10-03-2021 23:49
duncan61
★★★★☆
(1124)
IBdaMann wrote:
duncan61 wrote: Crude oil is formed from the remains of dead organisms (diatoms) such as algae and zooplankton that existed millions of years ago in a marine environment.

Nope. You EVADED my question and just repeated your WACKY faith.

Why should any rational adult believe your hogwash?

Absolutely no living thing that dies ever decays into petroleum. Graveyards are not universally being eyed by Big Oil for drilling. When a court orders a body exhumed for some investigation, no crude oil is discovered upon opening the casket.

From our understanding of the Fischer-Tropsch process, hydrocarbons require intense heat and pressure to form. There is no intense heat and pressure in the fossil record ... deep in the earth's crust and mantle, yes but certainly not up near the surface where life lives. Archaeological sites are not knee-deep in oil.

So what are you talking about?

duncan61 wrote: These organisms were the dominant forms of life on earth at the time.

What makes you think that they would somehow miraculously decay into petroleum? Hydrocarbons require intense heat and pressure.

The earth produces hydrocarbons, not decaying organic matter.

.


I answered your question directly by searching copying and pasting.You have introduced graveyards and Archaeological sites for some reason as the parrot explains years ago oil was on the surface like gold diamonds and opals.Most of it has been cleaned up and now we have to mine and drill for these resources.Can we agree organic matter contributes to oil being formed or is every geo I have ever worked with wrong


duncan61
11-03-2021 00:42
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(9089)
duncan61 wrote:I answered your question directly by searching copying and pasting.

You did not answer my question. At no time did you give any reason a rational adult should believe that dead organisms somehow decayed into petroleum.

duncan61 wrote:IYou have introduced graveyards and Archaeological sites for some reason

Hey genius, those are places where previously living organisms decayed. Guess what. No petroleum.

duncan61 wrote:Can we agree organic matter contributes to oil being formed

Not until you explain why a rational adult should believe that crazy notion.

.


A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
11-03-2021 06:08
Spongy Iris
★★★☆☆
(584)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]joseph369 wrote:

What makes you think ice ages even happen at all? It's certainly not any theory of science.


Sheesh dude... Because the obliquity is decreasing.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Today, on March 6, 2021 at noon, Earth's axial tilt, or mean obliquity was 23.43652°.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Earth's mean obliquity today is about 0.00001° less than 30 days ago.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Earth's axial tilt is said to oscillate between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees every 41000 years.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
It looks like the nicest weather was about 11000 years ago, and coolest weather in 10000 years


How do you know? Were you there?


The greater Earth's axial tilt angle, the more extreme our seasons are, as each hemisphere receives more solar radiation during its summer, when the hemisphere is tilted toward the Sun, and less during winter, when it is tilted away. Larger tilt angles favor periods of deglaciation.

Why would it? A larger tile angle effective enlarges the Artic circle and the Antarctic circle, where the Sun doesn't rise at all during one or more days of the year.
Spongy Iris wrote:
There is also the orbital eccentricity cycle, the 100,000 year cycle of which lines up to how often scientists think ice ages have happened in the past 800,000 years.

How do they know? They don't. This is religion.
Spongy Iris wrote:
In about 100,000 years, Earth will be further away from the Sun much of the year because the orbit will be less circular and more oval.

Did you know that aphelion (the time when Earth is furthest from the Sun and in the slowest part of it's orbit) occurs during summer in the Northern hemisphere? It takes place in mid July.

Perihelion, Earth's closest approach to the Sun, and also when it is moving fastest during it's orbit, takes place in mid January, which is winter in the Northern hemisphere.


It's easier to supply a heat source that's hotter than ice, than it is to supply a heat sink that's colder than freezing point.

Nope. Most of space will cause water to freeze almost instantly.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Melts faster than it freezes. That's why hotter summers/higher tilt favors deglaciation.

Denial of the 1st law of thermodynamics and the Latent Heat law (Q=mL, where 'Q' is the heat energy (in joules), 'm' is the mass, and 'L' is the latent heat constant of that material (such as water)). Whether endothermic, or exothermic, the value of Q remains the same.
Spongy Iris wrote:
OK 100,000 year orbital eccentricity cycle is religion. Where can I find the holy book from which this religion is derived?

Religion isn't a book. All religions are based on some initial circular argument (also known as the Argument of Faith or simply 'faith), with argument extending from that. That's what a religion is. Religion is a belief without proof. Faith. Religion uses supporting evidence, while science does not.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Summers in the southern hemisphere will tend to be warmer than summers in the northern hemisphere from the result of the Sun being closer to Earth in January than July.

Nope. Nothing unusual about summers or winters in the Southern hemispheres.
The hottest temperature ever recorded at a weather station is in Death Valley, in the summer, in the Northern hemisphere.


Thinking is still...

At maximum obliquity,

Most direct sunlight in summers will have a bit greater melting effect than the freezing effect in winter.

And at minimum obliquity,

Least direct sunlight in summers will have a bit lesser melting effect than freezing effect in winter.


...

Religions are based on holy books like the Bible, Quran, Gita, etc. People believe they are words given by God.

If you say the orbital eccentricity cycle, and axial tilt cycles are religions, then you must be implying this information was given by God.

...

You like to cherry pick Death Valley statistics to prove what??? Its a valley below sea level with almost no rain at a pretty hot latitude. One reason valleys get hotter I think is because more hot air can get trapped over the land.

You can compare Los Angeles USA to Capetown South Africa. They are both at almost the same latitudes respectively in North and South hemispheres. But LA usually gets a bit hotter because its in a valley.

But try comparing Ensenada Mexico and Perth Australia. Same respective latitudes in North and South hemispheres. and very similar weather.

Heres a chart.



On Jan 1, Perth averages a higher high than Ensenada on July 1.

On Jul 1, Perth averages a lower high than Ensenada on Jan 1.

This is an indication, summers in the southern hemisphere will tend to be warmer than summers in the northern hemisphere from the result of the Sun being closer to Earth in January than July.


11-03-2021 06:39
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(9089)
Spongy Iris wrote:Most direct sunlight in summers will have a bit greater melting effect than the freezing effect in winter. [/quote]
Explain why you believe this and why a rational adult should believe it.

Spongy Iris wrote: Religions are based on holy books like the Bible, Quran, Gita, etc.

... except for the ones that are based on oral tradition ... and the ones derived by personal insight/inspiration ... and the ones mandated by political parties.

Oh, and your list should have included The Communist Manifesto as one of the really big examples.

Spongy Iris wrote: If you say the orbital eccentricity cycle, and axial tilt cycles are religions, then you must be implying this information was given by God.[/quote]
Nope. That's not the definition of a religion ... and religions don't require a deity.

Spongy Iris wrote:One reason valleys get hotter I think is because more hot air can get trapped over the land.[/quote]
I thought the reason is that valleys entangle the photons.

.


A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
11-03-2021 11:14
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]joseph369 wrote:

What makes you think ice ages even happen at all? It's certainly not any theory of science.


Sheesh dude... Because the obliquity is decreasing.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Today, on March 6, 2021 at noon, Earth's axial tilt, or mean obliquity was 23.43652°.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Earth's mean obliquity today is about 0.00001° less than 30 days ago.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Earth's axial tilt is said to oscillate between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees every 41000 years.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
It looks like the nicest weather was about 11000 years ago, and coolest weather in 10000 years


How do you know? Were you there?


The greater Earth's axial tilt angle, the more extreme our seasons are, as each hemisphere receives more solar radiation during its summer, when the hemisphere is tilted toward the Sun, and less during winter, when it is tilted away. Larger tilt angles favor periods of deglaciation.

Why would it? A larger tile angle effective enlarges the Artic circle and the Antarctic circle, where the Sun doesn't rise at all during one or more days of the year.
Spongy Iris wrote:
There is also the orbital eccentricity cycle, the 100,000 year cycle of which lines up to how often scientists think ice ages have happened in the past 800,000 years.

How do they know? They don't. This is religion.
Spongy Iris wrote:
In about 100,000 years, Earth will be further away from the Sun much of the year because the orbit will be less circular and more oval.

Did you know that aphelion (the time when Earth is furthest from the Sun and in the slowest part of it's orbit) occurs during summer in the Northern hemisphere? It takes place in mid July.

Perihelion, Earth's closest approach to the Sun, and also when it is moving fastest during it's orbit, takes place in mid January, which is winter in the Northern hemisphere.


It's easier to supply a heat source that's hotter than ice, than it is to supply a heat sink that's colder than freezing point.

Nope. Most of space will cause water to freeze almost instantly.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Melts faster than it freezes. That's why hotter summers/higher tilt favors deglaciation.

Denial of the 1st law of thermodynamics and the Latent Heat law (Q=mL, where 'Q' is the heat energy (in joules), 'm' is the mass, and 'L' is the latent heat constant of that material (such as water)). Whether endothermic, or exothermic, the value of Q remains the same.
Spongy Iris wrote:
OK 100,000 year orbital eccentricity cycle is religion. Where can I find the holy book from which this religion is derived?

Religion isn't a book. All religions are based on some initial circular argument (also known as the Argument of Faith or simply 'faith), with argument extending from that. That's what a religion is. Religion is a belief without proof. Faith. Religion uses supporting evidence, while science does not.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Summers in the southern hemisphere will tend to be warmer than summers in the northern hemisphere from the result of the Sun being closer to Earth in January than July.

Nope. Nothing unusual about summers or winters in the Southern hemispheres.
The hottest temperature ever recorded at a weather station is in Death Valley, in the summer, in the Northern hemisphere.


Thinking is still...

At maximum obliquity,

Most direct sunlight in summers will have a bit greater melting effect than the freezing effect in winter.

And at minimum obliquity,

Least direct sunlight in summers will have a bit lesser melting effect than freezing effect in winter.

Denial of 1st law of thermodynamics and heating index. It takes the SAME amount of energy to convert water from ice to liquid as it does to convert liquid to ice for the same amount of water.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Religions are based on holy books like the Bible, Quran, Gita, etc. People believe they are words given by God.

WRONG. Religions need no holy book of any kind. An example is Shinto. The ONLY characteristic common to all religions is that they are all based on some initial circular argument, with arguments extending from that.
Spongy Iris wrote:
If you say the orbital eccentricity cycle, and axial tilt cycles are religions, then you must be implying this information was given by God.

Never said any such thing.
Spongy Iris wrote:
You like to cherry pick Death Valley statistics to prove what???

To falsify your theory that the hottest temperatures are in the Southern hemisphere.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Its a valley below sea level with almost no rain at a pretty hot latitude.

Irrelevant strawman.
Spongy Iris wrote:
One reason valleys get hotter I think is because more hot air can get trapped over the land.

Valleys do not contain more air.
Spongy Iris wrote:
You can compare Los Angeles USA to Capetown South Africa.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
They are both at almost the same latitudes respectively in North and South hemispheres. But LA usually gets a bit hotter because its in a valley.

LA is not in a valley. It is a coastal city.
Spongy Iris wrote:
But try comparing Ensenada Mexico and Perth Australia. Same respective latitudes in North and South hemispheres. and very similar weather.
...deleted random numbers...

Irrelevant strawman fallacies.
Spongy Iris wrote:
This is an indication, summers in the southern hemisphere will tend to be warmer than summers in the northern hemisphere from the result of the Sun being closer to Earth in January than July.

No. I already falsified this theory of yours.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
11-03-2021 22:24
Spongy Iris
★★★☆☆
(584)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]joseph369 wrote:

What makes you think ice ages even happen at all? It's certainly not any theory of science.


Sheesh dude... Because the obliquity is decreasing.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Today, on March 6, 2021 at noon, Earth's axial tilt, or mean obliquity was 23.43652°.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Earth's mean obliquity today is about 0.00001° less than 30 days ago.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Earth's axial tilt is said to oscillate between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees every 41000 years.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
It looks like the nicest weather was about 11000 years ago, and coolest weather in 10000 years


How do you know? Were you there?


The greater Earth's axial tilt angle, the more extreme our seasons are, as each hemisphere receives more solar radiation during its summer, when the hemisphere is tilted toward the Sun, and less during winter, when it is tilted away. Larger tilt angles favor periods of deglaciation.

Why would it? A larger tile angle effective enlarges the Artic circle and the Antarctic circle, where the Sun doesn't rise at all during one or more days of the year.
Spongy Iris wrote:
There is also the orbital eccentricity cycle, the 100,000 year cycle of which lines up to how often scientists think ice ages have happened in the past 800,000 years.

How do they know? They don't. This is religion.
Spongy Iris wrote:
In about 100,000 years, Earth will be further away from the Sun much of the year because the orbit will be less circular and more oval.

Did you know that aphelion (the time when Earth is furthest from the Sun and in the slowest part of it's orbit) occurs during summer in the Northern hemisphere? It takes place in mid July.

Perihelion, Earth's closest approach to the Sun, and also when it is moving fastest during it's orbit, takes place in mid January, which is winter in the Northern hemisphere.


It's easier to supply a heat source that's hotter than ice, than it is to supply a heat sink that's colder than freezing point.

Nope. Most of space will cause water to freeze almost instantly.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Melts faster than it freezes. That's why hotter summers/higher tilt favors deglaciation.

Denial of the 1st law of thermodynamics and the Latent Heat law (Q=mL, where 'Q' is the heat energy (in joules), 'm' is the mass, and 'L' is the latent heat constant of that material (such as water)). Whether endothermic, or exothermic, the value of Q remains the same.
Spongy Iris wrote:
OK 100,000 year orbital eccentricity cycle is religion. Where can I find the holy book from which this religion is derived?

Religion isn't a book. All religions are based on some initial circular argument (also known as the Argument of Faith or simply 'faith), with argument extending from that. That's what a religion is. Religion is a belief without proof. Faith. Religion uses supporting evidence, while science does not.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Summers in the southern hemisphere will tend to be warmer than summers in the northern hemisphere from the result of the Sun being closer to Earth in January than July.

Nope. Nothing unusual about summers or winters in the Southern hemispheres.
The hottest temperature ever recorded at a weather station is in Death Valley, in the summer, in the Northern hemisphere.


Thinking is still...

At maximum obliquity,

Most direct sunlight in summers will have a bit greater melting effect than the freezing effect in winter.

And at minimum obliquity,

Least direct sunlight in summers will have a bit lesser melting effect than freezing effect in winter.

Denial of 1st law of thermodynamics and heating index. It takes the SAME amount of energy to convert water from ice to liquid as it does to convert liquid to ice for the same amount of water.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Religions are based on holy books like the Bible, Quran, Gita, etc. People believe they are words given by God.

WRONG. Religions need no holy book of any kind. An example is Shinto. The ONLY characteristic common to all religions is that they are all based on some initial circular argument, with arguments extending from that.
Spongy Iris wrote:
If you say the orbital eccentricity cycle, and axial tilt cycles are religions, then you must be implying this information was given by God.

Never said any such thing.
Spongy Iris wrote:
You like to cherry pick Death Valley statistics to prove what???

To falsify your theory that the hottest temperatures are in the Southern hemisphere.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Its a valley below sea level with almost no rain at a pretty hot latitude.

Irrelevant strawman.
Spongy Iris wrote:
One reason valleys get hotter I think is because more hot air can get trapped over the land.

Valleys do not contain more air.
Spongy Iris wrote:
You can compare Los Angeles USA to Capetown South Africa.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
They are both at almost the same latitudes respectively in North and South hemispheres. But LA usually gets a bit hotter because its in a valley.

LA is not in a valley. It is a coastal city.
Spongy Iris wrote:
But try comparing Ensenada Mexico and Perth Australia. Same respective latitudes in North and South hemispheres. and very similar weather.
...deleted random numbers...

Irrelevant strawman fallacies.
Spongy Iris wrote:
This is an indication, summers in the southern hemisphere will tend to be warmer than summers in the northern hemisphere from the result of the Sun being closer to Earth in January than July.

No. I already falsified this theory of yours.


You haven't falsified anything. You are just banging your head against a wall.

You don't know if more sunlight at the poles in summer equally countered by less sunlight in the winter will make no difference in 1 year. You don't know the different melting and freezing rates.

And citing Death Valley is cherry picking not falsification.

Here look what you basically said... Subtropical latitudes are hotter than tropical latitudes because of Death Valley.

And btw, do you know where the San Fernando Valley is? LA!



Edited on 11-03-2021 22:25
11-03-2021 22:33
Spongy Iris
★★★☆☆
(584)
Did you know March is colder than January in the northern hemisphere?

Just yesterday we barely passed 50 degrees.

But in January we got to 75 degrees.

I bet you thought January was colder than March. Nope. I have just falsified it.

That's what you call, Parrot logic.


11-03-2021 22:59
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(9089)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:No. I already falsified this theory of yours.
You haven't falsified anything.

Yes, he falsified your theory. You apparently need a refresher course in the scientific method. Perhaps if you were more proficient you wouldn't make voluminous errors like you do.

Your theory stands falsified until you fix the errors Into the Night has indicated.

Spongy Iris wrote: You don't know if more sunlight at the poles in summer equally countered by less sunlight in the winter will make no difference in 1 year.

I'll take this as your admission that you don't know either, and that your insistence that there will be some specific difference is just you pretending to be omniscient.

You either need to show the science supporting your claim or you must admit to your mere speculation/faith.

Spongy Iris wrote: You don't know the different melting and freezing rates.

Before you proceed any further, learn "specific heat." Into the Night's mistake was presuming you understood the concept while nonetheless acknowledging that you are scientifically illiterate. I don't know what he was thinking but he probably won't be making that mistake again. It therefore behooves you to learn that concept and correct the error you just made.

Spongy Iris wrote:And citing Death Valley is cherry-picking not falsification.

You really need to become better acquainted with the scientific method. It is based on cherry-picking. When someone demonstrates that your theory is false, you do not get to nullify the falsification by claiming that the falsifying example was "cherry-picked." If it falsifies your theory then your theory is false and you need to fix it.

As it stands, your theory has been falsified by some excellent cherry-picking. You should have considered that example before devising your malformed theory.

Spongy Iris wrote:And btw, do you know where the San Fernando Valley is? LA!

I do, but that is not the LA basin. While I am driving on the Hollywood Freeway glancing over at Dodger Stadium, I am not in a valley. While I am exiting the Harbor Freeway to get on the Santa Monica Freeway, I am not in a valley. When I stop into Tommy's on Beverly Blvd., I am not in a valley. When I play soccer with the Mexicans in the park on Firestone, I am not in a valley.

You should have simply specified the San Fernando Valley up front, not Los Angeles.

.


A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
12-03-2021 11:09
duncan61
★★★★☆
(1124)
Coal is a combustible black or brownish-black sedimentary rock, formed as rock strata called coal seams. ... Coal is formed when dead plant matter decays into peat and is converted into coal by the heat and pressure of deep burial over millions of years.
This was the sermon at my church last night.This the devils work as well I guess
12-03-2021 14:05
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(9089)
duncan61 wrote: Coal is a combustible black or brownish-black sedimentary rock,

Nice try, but stay on topic. Coal is carbon. The topic is hydrocarbons.

Regarding carbon, it does not provide information about any previously living organism from which it came. Yes, there might be fossils in the coal but they don't burn; they are either "impurities" or they are merely impressions but the fact remains that there is nothing about the carbon that is a fossil and the carbon is what we burn for fuel.


.


A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
12-03-2021 23:44
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]joseph369 wrote:

What makes you think ice ages even happen at all? It's certainly not any theory of science.


Sheesh dude... Because the obliquity is decreasing.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Today, on March 6, 2021 at noon, Earth's axial tilt, or mean obliquity was 23.43652°.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Earth's mean obliquity today is about 0.00001° less than 30 days ago.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
Earth's axial tilt is said to oscillate between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees every 41000 years.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
It looks like the nicest weather was about 11000 years ago, and coolest weather in 10000 years


How do you know? Were you there?


The greater Earth's axial tilt angle, the more extreme our seasons are, as each hemisphere receives more solar radiation during its summer, when the hemisphere is tilted toward the Sun, and less during winter, when it is tilted away. Larger tilt angles favor periods of deglaciation.

Why would it? A larger tile angle effective enlarges the Artic circle and the Antarctic circle, where the Sun doesn't rise at all during one or more days of the year.
Spongy Iris wrote:
There is also the orbital eccentricity cycle, the 100,000 year cycle of which lines up to how often scientists think ice ages have happened in the past 800,000 years.

How do they know? They don't. This is religion.
Spongy Iris wrote:
In about 100,000 years, Earth will be further away from the Sun much of the year because the orbit will be less circular and more oval.

Did you know that aphelion (the time when Earth is furthest from the Sun and in the slowest part of it's orbit) occurs during summer in the Northern hemisphere? It takes place in mid July.

Perihelion, Earth's closest approach to the Sun, and also when it is moving fastest during it's orbit, takes place in mid January, which is winter in the Northern hemisphere.


It's easier to supply a heat source that's hotter than ice, than it is to supply a heat sink that's colder than freezing point.

Nope. Most of space will cause water to freeze almost instantly.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Melts faster than it freezes. That's why hotter summers/higher tilt favors deglaciation.

Denial of the 1st law of thermodynamics and the Latent Heat law (Q=mL, where 'Q' is the heat energy (in joules), 'm' is the mass, and 'L' is the latent heat constant of that material (such as water)). Whether endothermic, or exothermic, the value of Q remains the same.
Spongy Iris wrote:
OK 100,000 year orbital eccentricity cycle is religion. Where can I find the holy book from which this religion is derived?

Religion isn't a book. All religions are based on some initial circular argument (also known as the Argument of Faith or simply 'faith), with argument extending from that. That's what a religion is. Religion is a belief without proof. Faith. Religion uses supporting evidence, while science does not.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Summers in the southern hemisphere will tend to be warmer than summers in the northern hemisphere from the result of the Sun being closer to Earth in January than July.

Nope. Nothing unusual about summers or winters in the Southern hemispheres.
The hottest temperature ever recorded at a weather station is in Death Valley, in the summer, in the Northern hemisphere.


Thinking is still...

At maximum obliquity,

Most direct sunlight in summers will have a bit greater melting effect than the freezing effect in winter.

And at minimum obliquity,

Least direct sunlight in summers will have a bit lesser melting effect than freezing effect in winter.

Denial of 1st law of thermodynamics and heating index. It takes the SAME amount of energy to convert water from ice to liquid as it does to convert liquid to ice for the same amount of water.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Religions are based on holy books like the Bible, Quran, Gita, etc. People believe they are words given by God.

WRONG. Religions need no holy book of any kind. An example is Shinto. The ONLY characteristic common to all religions is that they are all based on some initial circular argument, with arguments extending from that.
Spongy Iris wrote:
If you say the orbital eccentricity cycle, and axial tilt cycles are religions, then you must be implying this information was given by God.

Never said any such thing.
Spongy Iris wrote:
You like to cherry pick Death Valley statistics to prove what???

To falsify your theory that the hottest temperatures are in the Southern hemisphere.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Its a valley below sea level with almost no rain at a pretty hot latitude.

Irrelevant strawman.
Spongy Iris wrote:
One reason valleys get hotter I think is because more hot air can get trapped over the land.

Valleys do not contain more air.
Spongy Iris wrote:
You can compare Los Angeles USA to Capetown South Africa.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:
They are both at almost the same latitudes respectively in North and South hemispheres. But LA usually gets a bit hotter because its in a valley.

LA is not in a valley. It is a coastal city.
Spongy Iris wrote:
But try comparing Ensenada Mexico and Perth Australia. Same respective latitudes in North and South hemispheres. and very similar weather.
...deleted random numbers...

Irrelevant strawman fallacies.
Spongy Iris wrote:
This is an indication, summers in the southern hemisphere will tend to be warmer than summers in the northern hemisphere from the result of the Sun being closer to Earth in January than July.

No. I already falsified this theory of yours.


You haven't falsified anything.

Yes I have. I presented a single bit of conflicting evidence to your statement that summers are hotter in the Southern hemisphere. That's all I need.
Spongy Iris wrote:
You are just banging your head against a wall.

Inversion fallacy. That would be you.
Spongy Iris wrote:
You don't know if more sunlight at the poles in summer equally countered by less sunlight in the winter will make no difference in 1 year. You don't know the different melting and freezing rates.

There aren't any. You are again ignoring the latent heat law.
Spongy Iris wrote:
And citing Death Valley is cherry picking not falsification.

It is both. All I need is one cherry picked example to falsify your stupid theory.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Here look what you basically said... Subtropical latitudes are hotter than tropical latitudes because of Death Valley.

Never did say that.
Spongy Iris wrote:
And btw, do you know where the San Fernando Valley is? LA!

Yes. It is a valley northwest of Los Angeles including the cities of Burbank, San Fernando, Glendale, and Pasadena. Los Angeles is not in that valley.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
12-03-2021 23:46
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Did you know March is colder than January in the northern hemisphere?

It is not possible to measure the temperature of a hemisphere.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Just yesterday we barely passed 50 degrees.

Argument from randU fallacy. You are making up numbers.
Spongy Iris wrote:
But in January we got to 75 degrees.

Argument from randU fallacy.
Spongy Iris wrote:
I bet you thought January was colder than March. Nope. I have just falsified it.

You can't falsify anything with random numbers.
Spongy Iris wrote:
That's what you call, Parrot logic.

That's what I call an argument from randU fallacy and an attempted proof by randU.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
12-03-2021 23:49
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
duncan61 wrote:
Coal is a combustible black or brownish-black sedimentary rock, formed as rock strata called coal seams. ... Coal is formed when dead plant matter decays into peat and is converted into coal by the heat and pressure of deep burial over millions of years.

The origin of coal is unknown. Coal is not a hydrocarbon either. It is carbon. It isn't a fossil either, though it may contain fossils. These are impurities that don't burn, or voids in the coal.
duncan61 wrote:
This was the sermon at my church last night.This the devils work as well I guess

Strange church.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
Edited on 12-03-2021 23:50
13-03-2021 01:15
duncan61
★★★★☆
(1124)
I have been doing more research and have learned minerals do not turn in to oil;coal or gas there has to be organic matter for this to happen.The church line was for fun.
13-03-2021 01:29
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(9089)
duncan61 wrote:I have been doing more research and have learned minerals do not turn in to oil;coal or gas there has to be organic matter for this to happen.The church line was for fun.

How is oil synthesized in a lab without organic matter?

Why is it that oil cannot be synthesized without great heat and pressure?

Don't quit your job to become a researcher.

.


A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
13-03-2021 01:44
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(9089)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:And btw, do you know where the San Fernando Valley is? LA!

Yes. It is a valley northwest of Los Angeles including the cities of Burbank, San Fernando, Glendale, and Pasadena. Los Angeles is not in that valley.

... but the Valley is in Los Angeles. Spongy Iris was trying to catch you on that technicality.

The San Fernando Valley is "LA-incorporated.". All of the cities in the SF Valley are run by LA City Hall. All of the police patrolling the SF Valley are LA police. If you are in the SF Valley then you are in the city of Los Angeles, even if you are in the city of, say, Chatsworth.

Your point remains valid nonetheless. The LA basin is coastal and is not a valley.

.


A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
13-03-2021 01:59
keepit
★★★★★
(2235)
ibd,
You've said that nuclear fission and nuclear fusion occurs via chemical reaction. Where did you get that idea?
13-03-2021 02:28
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(9089)
keepit wrote:ibd,
You've said that nuclear fission and nuclear fusion occurs via chemical reaction. Where did you get that idea?

keepit, answer me this,

1. Do fission and fusion occur in matter?
2. What were my exact words?

.


A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
13-03-2021 03:22
James___
★★★★★
(4480)
keepit wrote:
ibd,
You've said that nuclear fission and nuclear fusion occurs via chemical reaction. Where did you get that idea?



He's been listening to me. He knows this is what I hope to demonstrate with the experiment that I've been pursuing. It's basically
CO2 + H2O +hv > CH2O and O2. That demonstrates both fission and fusion.
Fusion allows for CH2O3 while fission allows for H-CHO (CH2O) and O2.
One is nuclear physics while the other is atmospheric chemistry.


While this is funny, it is a correct statement. Nuclear physics plays a role in atmospheric chemistry.

Bad IBdm, just bad.


At the same time, targeting a person or individual is never acceptable.
Intolerance of others is why I'm an a$$hole.
Edited on 13-03-2021 03:58
13-03-2021 03:40
James___
★★★★★
(4480)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzgQoGvSKA4
13-03-2021 09:36
duncan61
★★★★☆
(1124)
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]duncan61 wrote:I have been doing more research and have learned minerals do not turn in to oil;coal or gas there has to be organic matter for this to happen.The church line was for fun.

How is oil synthesized in a lab without organic matter?

Why is it that oil cannot be synthesized without great heat and pressure?

Don't quit your job to become a researcher.

Unlike crude oil which is made through distillation, synthetic oil is made through a chemical process called the Fischer-Tropsch process. ... These raw materials are injected and blended with artificial chemical compounds that are absent in natural crude oil to create uniformly sized and weighed oil molecules.19 Nov 2020

Synthetic oil is a man-made lubricant that consists of artificially made chemical compounds. Synthetic oils are typically created from chemically modified materials such as petroleum components, but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil.23 June 2020

What about vegetable oil and sunflower oil.Are they made from plants?Ethanol is another one.
crude oil does not form from minerals there has to be organic material


duncan61
13-03-2021 12:34
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(9089)
duncan61 wrote: Unlike crude oil which is made through distillation,

You are lying again. No human has ever observed hydrocarbons form in the earth. You are simply restating you WACKY religious belief without explaining why any rational adult should believe it.

If crude oil is produced in the earth without great heat and pressure then it should be a simple matter to reproduce that process in a lab. Duncan, explain why no human can synthesize crude oil in a lab without great heat and pressure ... and then explain why any rational adult should believe that this particular process that humans cannot replicate in a lab nonetheless occurs naturally somehow.

..


A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
13-03-2021 19:28
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
duncan61 wrote:
I have been doing more research and have learned minerals do not turn in to oil;coal or gas there has to be organic matter for this to happen.The church line was for fun.


Coal is not organic matter. It is simply carbon...an element.

Oil and natural gas are hydrocarbons. There is no biological matter in them.

The chemistry of carbon is also called organic chemistry.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
13-03-2021 19:32
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:And btw, do you know where the San Fernando Valley is? LA!

Yes. It is a valley northwest of Los Angeles including the cities of Burbank, San Fernando, Glendale, and Pasadena. Los Angeles is not in that valley.

... but the Valley is in Los Angeles. Spongy Iris was trying to catch you on that technicality.

The San Fernando Valley is "LA-incorporated.". All of the cities in the SF Valley are run by LA City Hall. All of the police patrolling the SF Valley are LA police. If you are in the SF Valley then you are in the city of Los Angeles, even if you are in the city of, say, Chatsworth.

Your point remains valid nonetheless. The LA basin is coastal and is not a valley.

.

Not quite true.

LA City Hall does sell police services (and a few other services) to outlying nearby cities, but these are independent cities, each with their own town council and mayor. These mayors and town councils contract with the city of LA to provide for certain services such as police.

But they are not Los Angeles.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
13-03-2021 19:37
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
keepit wrote:
ibd,
You've said that nuclear fission and nuclear fusion occurs via chemical reaction. Where did you get that idea?

Both nuclear fusion and nuclear fission are chemical reactions.

Fission, for example, combines two hydrogen nuclei into one helium nucleus. Both hydrogen and helium are chemicals.

The forerunner of chemistry, alchemy, attempted to turn lead into gold.

A chemist in Paris attempted to turn various carbon compounds into diamonds (for serious chemical reasons!). He didn't succeed, but along the way, we got oxy-acetylene welding and the ability to cut and weld metal on an industrial scale.

Yup. It's all chemistry.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
13-03-2021 19:56
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15506)
duncan61 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]duncan61 wrote:I have been doing more research and have learned minerals do not turn in to oil;coal or gas there has to be organic matter for this to happen.The church line was for fun.

How is oil synthesized in a lab without organic matter?

You combine carbon dioxide (or carbon monoxide), hydrogen in a pressure vessel containing a gauze of iron, cook it, and you will get hydrocarbons of various lengths. Crude oil. Light, sweet, crude oil. These are the same conditions naturally found underground.
duncan61 wrote:
Why is it that oil cannot be synthesized without great heat and pressure?

It takes energy to build a higher molecule from lower energy molecules.
duncan61 wrote:
Unlike crude oil which is made through distillation, synthetic oil is made through a chemical process called the Fischer-Tropsch process. ... These raw materials are injected and blended with artificial chemical compounds that are absent in natural crude oil to create uniformly sized and weighed oil molecules.19 Nov 2020

The Fischer-Tropsche process creates light sweet crude oil. It can be distilled like any crude oil.
duncan61 wrote:
Synthetic oil is a man-made lubricant that consists of artificially made chemical compounds. Synthetic oils are typically created from chemically modified materials such as petroleum components, but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil.23 June 2020

Not quite. Synthetic oils (such as 0-20 motor oil used in Toyota and Subaru engines) is a blend of distilled crude and enhanced with other chemistry.
duncan61 wrote:
What about vegetable oil and sunflower oil.

Not crude oil. These oils are not hydrocarbons.
duncan61 wrote:
Are they made from plants?

Yes. Plants combine carbon dioxide with water to produce carbohydrates. Plant oils are carbohydrates, not hydrocarbons.
duncan61 wrote:
Ethanol is another one.

Ethanol is not a hydrocarbon. It is a carbohydrate.
duncan61 wrote:
crude oil does not form from minerals there has to be organic material

Crude oil forms from carbon dioxide (or carbon monoxide), hydrogen, and heat and pressure in the presence of iron as a catalyst.

All natural conditions found underground.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
14-03-2021 04:05
Xadoman
★★★☆☆
(434)
The formation of coal puzzles me a lot. It seems like it has fallen from the sky at some point in history. Could it be that at some point in history the atmosphere was very full of CO2 and there existed conditions ( earth was much much warmer because of its internal heat from magma chamber ) which allowed the coal to form and deposit from the air onto the ground.
14-03-2021 04:09
James___
★★★★★
(4480)
duncan61 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]duncan61 wrote:I have been doing more research and have learned minerals do not turn in to oil;coal or gas there has to be organic matter for this to happen.The church line was for fun.

How is oil synthesized in a lab without organic matter?

Why is it that oil cannot be synthesized without great heat and pressure?

Don't quit your job to become a researcher.

Unlike crude oil which is made through distillation, synthetic oil is made through a chemical process called the Fischer-Tropsch process. ... These raw materials are injected and blended with artificial chemical compounds that are absent in natural crude oil to create uniformly sized and weighed oil molecules.19 Nov 2020

Synthetic oil is a man-made lubricant that consists of artificially made chemical compounds. Synthetic oils are typically created from chemically modified materials such as petroleum components, but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil.23 June 2020

What about vegetable oil and sunflower oil.Are they made from plants?Ethanol is another one.
crude oil does not form from minerals there has to be organic material



The basic definition of organic matter is if it has a carbon molecule.
14-03-2021 04:11
James___
★★★★★
(4480)
Xadoman wrote:
The formation of coal puzzles me a lot. It seems like it has fallen from the sky at some point in history. Could it be that at some point in history the atmosphere was very full of CO2 and there existed conditions ( earth was much much warmer because of its internal heat from magma chamber ) which allowed the coal to form and deposit from the air onto the ground.



I consider things like peat and bogs. Maybe even a swamp or a glade like the Everglades. Over many millennia, a deposit can form.
14-03-2021 04:21
duncan61
★★★★☆
(1124)
I ran my Nissan diesel on a 50/50 blend of the cooking oil we used at the roadhouse and pump diesel as I was the one who switched out the fryers and cleaned and refilled them so I would end up with 40 litres every 4 days.I was able to help myself to diesel from the tank on a stand for the power house as it was next to the workshop where I did this.The oil we used for cooking was liquid at room temperature and I filtered it a couple of times through big paper coffee filters and it went well.I always smelled like fish and chips where ever I parked.It was vegetable oil and it burned fine
14-03-2021 04:25
duncan61
★★★★☆
(1124)
It is possible to make fuel to run a diesel from 100% cooking oil but you have to add stuff and let it settle and siphon off the top which is fine if you have time and a small motor.I liked driving around with a 44 strapped to the tray with the hand pump in it as it gave me 1000 plus km range
14-03-2021 04:45
James___
★★★★★
(4480)
duncan61 wrote:
It is possible to make fuel to run a diesel from 100% cooking oil but you have to add stuff and let it settle and siphon off the top which is fine if you have time and a small motor.I liked driving around with a 44 strapped to the tray with the hand pump in it as it gave me 1000 plus km range



These guys aren't going to like your recent posts. Since you are recycling waste from food preparation, did this help you to make more money for yourself?
14-03-2021 07:42
duncan61
★★★★☆
(1124)
I had heard about running diesels on cooking oil and was interested and was in a place and time where I could experiment.I used to do the recovery at the roadhouse as well which was mainly trailer bearings but I did pull 2 japanese guys out the mud flats.On a map it looks like you can drive to the coast but it is not possible.I had split rims and let my tyre pressure down to 7psi and carefully moved out on the mud my ute was empty and I had a snatch strap.I took a big run up in reverse and yanked them out pulling both their bumpers off in the process.They were still super greatful and gave me $200.Their other option was stay there and die.Everyone I met commented on the fish and chip smell.It was a good party trick
14-03-2021 08:12
duncan61
★★★★☆
(1124)
Because it originally formed from plants, coal contains mostly carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen. Coal helped create the carbon-based branch of chemistry we call "organic chemistry." When coal is heated in the absence of air, its complex mixture breaks down into simpler forms.23 Oct 2019.I am enjoying this.I am just searching and copying stuff but I am learning new stuff which is why I joined this forum.ITN you stated you did not know how coal formed so you are out and IBDM you stated come to me with the hard stuff and I have cunningly led you to a hard place.You are beaten oik so give up now.I can call it fossil fuel with impunity
Page 2 of 4<1234>





Join the debate Fossil fuels:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
fossil fuel1313-01-2021 09:35
fossil fuel4430-12-2020 05:34
ICE AGE?: Is The End OF The Interglacial Phase Coming Or Have We Accidentally Saved Humanity With Fossil 14423-06-2020 21:01
Nature stops humans burning fossil fuel101-05-2020 19:13
So what if the Chinese fossil fuel industry pays me to spread lies about greenhouse gas?7515-11-2019 04:47
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact