Remember me
▼ Content

computers

Page 1 of 212>
computers14-04-2023 02:42
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Are computers honest? Will computers of the future be honest? What would make them dishonest? Could they become dishonest on their own volition?
What if there ever becomes so many highly complex computers that there aren't enough repairmen that understand how to fix them? Will computers of the future be able to communicate with each other? What if the robots start manufacturing duplicates of them selves? What if they don't tell humans the details of their constructions such that no human knows how to fix them? Etc., etc.\
What if AI becomes a big problem? Who's gonna fix it?
Edited on 14-04-2023 02:47
14-04-2023 03:56
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21600)
keepit wrote:
Will computers of the future be honest? What would make them dishonest? Could they become dishonest on their own volition?

Computers don't have emotions or any concept of 'honesty'.
keepit wrote:
What if there ever becomes so many highly complex computers that there aren't enough repairmen that understand how to fix them?

It's not worth fixing most computers. It's easier to simply replace them.
keepit wrote:
Will computers of the future be able to communicate with each other?

Computers today talk communicate with each other. You posted on this website. That is proof. Your home computer communicates with a variety of servers including the one running this site.
keepit wrote:
What if the robots start manufacturing duplicates of them selves?

They already do. We program them that way.
keepit wrote: What if they don't tell humans the details of their constructions such that no human knows how to fix them? Etc., etc.\

See 'axe'.
keepit wrote:
What if AI becomes a big problem? Who's gonna fix it?

See 'axe'.

You've been watching too many Terminator movies. Life is not movies, dude.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
14-04-2023 04:01
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
itn,
Thanks for your reply. Keep in mind that those questions weren't meant to be taken literally necessarily.
And actually i haven't watched too many terminator movies. I did read too many Robert Heinlein books as a youth.

No points for stating the obvious itn.
Edited on 14-04-2023 04:11
14-04-2023 08:00
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
No, computers and 'smart' phones are not 'honest'. They mine your personal data, and it's sold for marketing and research. Most electronics aren't usually worth repairing these days. Few things on them are, a switch, a screen, power supply... But, a main board, or module, between the part, the technicians wages, profit mark-up, you'll pay more than half the purchase price, or cost of a newer model. Circuit boards are packed too densely, with tiny components. To do a proper repair, you need to find the failed part, and replace it. But, you also need to find the reason the part failed, fix that. Sometimes, when on part fails, it damages other parts as well. Schematics, firmware, even unlabeled parts makes it near-impossible, without the manufacturer's blessing. They, of course, would prefer you just bought a replacement, or newest model. Not to mention, if they released the service info, China could make a cheaper clone...

Most manufacturing these days, are least partially automated. They are programmed to do very specific tasks, make small process adjustments. They can't re-tool themselves, and create new, and unique products.

Computers don't think, they follow instructions... An AI is a computer, and follows instruction, doesn't think.
14-04-2023 12:42
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
keepit wrote:
itn,
Thanks for your reply. Keep in mind that those questions weren't meant to be taken literally necessarily.
And actually i haven't watched too many terminator movies. I did read too many Robert Heinlein books as a youth.

No points for stating the obvious itn.

Actually you have seen all the terminator, and star trek movies. So why lie.

PS I like lawyers pretending to be dumb

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
14-04-2023 17:19
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
I've only seen the first terminator movie and i haven't seen all the star trek movies. Probably seen all the star trek tv.
It could be that ideas from Robert Heinlein and Asimov etc. were built upon and improved to create terminator and star trek.\

I'm not exactly sure where mental or computer activity becomes "thinking" but when computers become able to "think" is the point where humans should start to worry but by then it will be too late.
14-04-2023 19:05
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
keepit wrote:
I've only seen the first terminator movie and i haven't seen all the star trek movies. Probably seen all the star trek tv.
It could be that ideas from Robert Heinlein and Asimov etc. were built upon and improved to create terminator and star trek.\

I'm not exactly sure where mental or computer activity becomes "thinking" but when computers become able to "think" is the point where humans should start to worry but by then it will be too late.

Yet you start threads about the borg from star trek, because you haven't seen the movies.

Grow up you ignorant lawyer fart

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

14-04-2023 19:30
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
The borg started in the tv series, not the movies.
14-04-2023 19:54
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
keepit wrote:

So you have immersed yourself in fiction and are a star trek expert, and now you are babbling about what reality actually exist of.

Get treated kid, because there are no borg or computers that are able to think, not that exist in the real world anyway. Thus you are confused. Is that what you are trying to prove?

ULTRA MAGA

14-04-2023 20:42
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Swan,\
I'm far from being a computer expert but here and there it's been said that computers are close to, or already there, to being able to think for them selves.
14-04-2023 21:17
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
keepit wrote:
Swan,\
I'm far from being a computer expert but here and there it's been said that computers are close to, or already there, to being able to think for them selves.

Computers in general meaning 100 percent of all machines run programs that were written by thinking people. Do you think that a computer can decide when to turn itself off? No it cannot, unless its programming tells it to. There is a rumor that Google has an aware program and a programmer was fired for spilling the beans, but this is one rumor of one system. Your rant that computers are close to thinking means that you do not comprehend even the most basic if than programming.

LOL I challenge you to provide one thought that any computer ever thought?

Go for it sparkey the lawyer and computer in one?

ULTRA MAGA

14-04-2023 21:57
(21600)
keepit wrote:

See 'axe'.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
14-04-2023 21:58
(21600)
keepit wrote:

Semantics fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

14-04-2023 21:59
(21600)
keepit wrote:
Swan,\

The Borg are not a computer.

No computer thinks for itself. No computer even thinks.

AI is not thinking. AI is just a program with a feedback loop called a 'learning loop'.

The Parrot Killer

14-04-2023 22:04
(21600)
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,\

Computers in general meaning 100 percent of all machines

Computers are not 100 percent of all machines.
Swan wrote:
run programs that were written by thinking people.

Most machines have no program. They are not computers.
Swan wrote:
Do you think that a computer can decide when to turn itself off?
No it cannot, unless its programming tells it to.

A computer can decide when to turn itself off. A program is given conditions on when it should do so.
Swan wrote:
There is a rumor that Google has an aware program and a programmer was fired for spilling the beans, but this is one rumor of one system.

Google is not even aware of all that goes on in their own company.
Swan wrote:
Your rant that computers are close to thinking means that you do not comprehend even the most basic if than programming.

There is no 'if' here.

The Parrot Killer

15-04-2023 02:59
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,\

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

A computer can decide when to turn itself off. A program is given conditions on when it should do so.
Swan wrote:
There is a rumor that Google has an aware program and a programmer was fired for spilling the beans, but this is one rumor of one system.

Swan wrote:
Your rant that computers are close to thinking means that you do not comprehend even the most basic if than programming.

There is no 'if' here.

Wrong again. The if-then-else construct, sometimes called if-then, is a two-way selection structure common across many programming languages. Although the syntax varies from language to language, the basic structure looks like: [1] If (boolean condition) Then (consequent) Else (alternative) End If Discussion
https://harpercollege.pressbooks.pub ›

Next babble from the wannabee programmer who slaves for uncle sam

ULTRA MAGA

15-04-2023 03:18
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,\

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

There is no 'if' here.

Wrong again....
There is no 'if' here.

The Parrot Killer

15-04-2023 03:45
(5197)
keepit wrote:

Science provides a 'point-of-departure' for fiction writers. The writer takes liberties, to create an interesting story to entertain. Things that closely parallel what's possible, tend grab and hold the reader's imagination.
15-04-2023 05:21
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,\

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

There is no 'if' here.

Wrong again....
There is no 'if' here.

Actually if you had an IQ over 70 you would grasp the concept of if/then programming

ULTRA MAGA

RE: think15-04-2023 05:41
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
So, what is a definition of thinking and what actually goes on during thinking? What is a rough description of the chemical or biochemical activity?
15-04-2023 14:37
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
keepit wrote:
So, what is a definition of thinking and what actually goes on during thinking? What is a rough description of the chemical or biochemical activity?

All computers are 100% reliant on humans to exist and operate. A thinking computer would first design its own power source so that it can be independent of humanity. Now this is theoretically possible and once this happens God is proven as a new life form has been created. Really you need to give up this psychological attack because it can only lead to your full ignorance being exposed to the World.

While it is true that humans are currently using neural net configurations in an attempt to simulate thought, these patterns are changed to 0/1's and as such do not operate as a mind would where the brain creates its own electricity from chemical reactions to fire electrical impulses across neurons.

A dog lost in the woods begins to hunt water and food. A computer left alone in the woods is a useless pile of plastic and metal.

Really kid, stick with element 115.

ULTRA MAGA

15-04-2023 18:33
(5197)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,\

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

There is no 'if' here.

Wrong again....
There is no 'if' here.

Actually if you had an IQ over 70 you would grasp the concept of if/then programming

How long did it take you to grasp simple logic? I learned it working with electronics, before there were personal computers available to the masses. I was in high school, when we got teletype terminals and got to timeshare on a university mainframe over telephone.

So, how does a quantum computer had If/Then statements? How are the qubits manipulated to perform the task? I just haven't found anything about how qubit logic gates work. Everything seems to stop short of that little nugget. Qubits can have many states between 0 and 1. Great, but what logic can be done with that?
15-04-2023 18:47
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,\

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

There is no 'if' here.

Wrong again....
There is no 'if' here.

How long did it take you to grasp simple logic? I learned it working with electronics, before there were personal computers available to the masses. I was in high school, when we got teletype terminals and got to timeshare on a university mainframe over telephone.

So, how does a quantum computer had If/Then statements? How are the qubits manipulated to perform the task? I just haven't found anything about how qubit logic gates work. Everything seems to stop short of that little nugget. Qubits can have many states between 0 and 1. Great, but what logic can be done with that?

You might begin by reading on your own independent of me. That is if you can, that said you will have to first accept that quantum computing is real

https://www.scientificamerican.com/video/how-does-a-quantum-computer-work/

Imagine a lightbulb filament, hanging upside down, but it's the most complicated light you've ever seen. Instead of one slender twist of wire, it has organized silvery swarms of them, neatly braided around a core. They are arranged in layers that narrow as you move down. Golden plates separate the structure into sections.

The outer part of this vessel is called the chandelier. It's a supercharged refrigerator that uses a special liquified helium mix to cool the computer's quantum chip down to near absolute zero. That's the coldest temperature theoretically possible.

At such low temperatures, the tiny superconducting circuits in the chip take on their quantum properties. And it's those properties, as we'll soon see, that could be harnessed to perform computational tasks that would be practically impossible on a classical computer.

Traditional computer processors work in binary—the billions of transistors that handle information on your laptop or smartphone are either on (1) or they're off (0). Using a series of circuits, called "gates," computers perform logical operations based on the state of those switches.

Classical computers are designed to follow specific inflexible rules. This makes them extremely reliable, but it also makes them ill-suited for solving certain kinds of problems—in particular, problems where you're trying to find a needle in a haystack.

This is where quantum computers shine.

If you think of a computer solving a problem as a mouse running through a maze, a classical computer finds its way through by trying every path until it reaches the end.

What if, instead of solving the maze through trial and error, you could consider all possible routes simultaneously?

Quantum computers do this by substituting the binary "bits" of classical computing with something called "qubits." Qubits operate according to the mysterious laws of quantum mechanics: the theory that physics works differently at the atomic and subatomic scale.

The classic way to demonstrate quantum mechanics is by shining a light through a barrier with two slits. Some light goes through the top slit, some the bottom, and the light waves knock into each other to create an interference pattern.

But now dim the light until you're firing individual photons one by one—elementary particles that comprise light. Logically, each photon has to travel through a single slit, and they've got nothing to interfere with. But somehow, you still end up with an interference pattern.

Here's what happens according to quantum mechanics: Until you detect them on the screen, each photon exists in a state called "superposition." It's as though it's traveling all possible paths at once. That is, until the superposition state "collapses" under observation to reveal a single point on the screen.

Qubits use this ability to do very efficient calculations.

For the maze example, the superposition state would contain all the possible routes. And then you'd have to collapse the state of superposition to reveal the likeliest path to the cheese.

Just like you add more transistors to extend the capabilities of your classical computer, you add more qubits to create a more powerful quantum computer.

Thanks to a quantum mechanical property called "entanglement," scientists can push multiple qubits into the same state, even if the qubits aren't in contact with each other. And while individual qubits exist in a superposition of two states, this increases exponentially as you entangle more qubits with each other. So a two-qubit system stores 4 possible values, a 20-qubit system more than a million.

So what does that mean for computing power? It helps to think about applying quantum computing to a real world problem: the one of prime numbers.

A prime number is a natural number greater than 1 that can only be divided evenly by itself or 1.

While it's easy to multiply small numbers into giant ones, it's much harder to go the reverse direction; you can't just look at a number and tell its factors. This is the basis for one of the most popular forms of data encryption, called RSA.

You can only decrypt RSA security by factoring the product of two prime numbers. Each prime factor is typically hundreds of digits long, and they serve as unique keys to a problem that's effectively unsolvable without knowing the answers in advance.

In 1995, M.I.T. mathematician Peter Shor, then at AT&T Bell Laboratories, devised a novel algorithm for factoring prime numbers whatever the size. One day, a quantum computer could use its computational power, and Shor's algorithm, to hack everything from your bank records to your personal files.

In 2001, IBM made a quantum computer with seven qubits to demonstrate Shor's algorithm. For qubits, they used atomic nuclei, which have two different spin states that can be controlled through radio frequency pulses.

This wasn't a great way to make a quantum computer, because it's very hard to scale up. But it did manage to run Shor's algorithm and factor 15 into 3 and 5. Hardly an impressive calculation, but still a major achievement in simply proving the algorithm works in practice.

Even now, experts are still trying to get quantum computers to work well enough to best classical supercomputers.

That remains extremely challenging, mostly because quantum states are fragile. It's hard to completely stop qubits from interacting with their outside environment, even with precise lasers in supercooled or vacuum chambers.

Any noise in the system leads to a state called "decoherence," where superposition breaks down and the computer loses information.

A small amount of error is natural in quantum computing, because we're dealing in probabilities rather than the strict rules of binary. But decoherence often introduces so much noise that it obscures the result.

When one qubit goes into a state of decoherence, the entanglement that enables the entire system breaks down.

So how do you fix this? The answer is called error correction--and it can happen in a few ways.

Error Correction #1: A fully error-corrected quantum computer could handle common errors like "bit flips," where a qubit suddenly changes to the wrong state.

To do this you would need to build a quantum computer with a few so-called "logical" qubits that actually do the math, and a bunch of standard qubits that correct for errors.

It would take a lot of error-correcting qubits—maybe 100 or so per logical qubit--to make the system work. But the end result would be an extremely reliable and generally useful quantum computer.

Error Correction #2: Other experts are trying to find clever ways to see through the noise generated by different errors. They are trying to build what they call "Noisy intermediate-scale quantum computers" using another set of algorithms.

That may work in some cases, but probably not across the board.

Error Correction #3: Another tactic is to find a new qubit source that isn't as susceptible to noise, such as "topological particles" that are better at retaining information. But some of these exotic particles (or quasi-particles) are purely hypothetical, so this technology could be years or decades off.

Because of these difficulties, quantum computing has advanced slowly, though there have been some significant achievements.

In 2019, Google used a 54-qubit quantum computer named "Sycamore" to do an incredibly complex (if useless) simulation in under 4 minutes—running a quantum random number generator a million times to sample the likelihood of different results.

Sycamore works very differently from the quantum computer that IBM built to demonstrate Shor's algorithm. Sycamore takes superconducting circuits and cools them to such low temperatures that the electrical current starts to behave like a quantum mechanical system. At present, this is one of the leading methods for building a quantum computer, alongside trapping ions in electric fields, where different energy levels similarly represent different qubit states.

Sycamore was a major breakthrough, though many engineers disagree exactly how major. Google said it was the first demonstration of so-called quantum advantage: achieving a task that would have been impossible for a classical computer.

It said the world's best supercomputer would have needed 10,000 years to do the same task. IBM has disputed that claim.

At least for now, serious quantum computers are a ways off. But with billions of dollars of investment from governments and the world's biggest companies, the race for quantum computing capabilities is well underway. The real question is: how will quantum computing change what a "computer" actually means to us. How will it change how our electronically connected world works? And when?

ULTRA MAGA

15-04-2023 18:50
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
The point is that not all computers require humans to operate (maybe now or maybe in the future). That's where the problems will begin, at least if they decide they don't like us. I can see that scenario developing.

Harvey,
I'm talking about computers that do think and don't follow instructions.
Edited on 15-04-2023 18:54
15-04-2023 19:15
(5197)
So, basically you don't comprehend the question, so copy & pasted the first thing that seemed relevant, even though you don't understand it either. The article explains how to change the qubit's state, but not how to perform logic, or any computational 'magic'. Doesn't even mention If/Then...

Mostly like the article you quoted, it's all marketing hype. The promote all the amazing things that could be done, once some pretty major obstacles are resolved. Basically, lots of money needed for further research an development. The major flaw in the design, being isolation is not an option. Everything in, and around the qubits, also contain sub-atomic particles, subjected to the same conditions that switch qubit states. Some of which will influence the qubits used in the computations.
15-04-2023 21:15
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
keepit wrote:
The point is that not all computers require humans to operate (maybe now or maybe in the future). That's where the problems will begin, at least if they decide they don't like us. I can see that scenario developing.

Harvey,

All computers require humans to program and operate the machine, when stuff seems to happen automatically this is not happening as the computer is just following its programming.

Again, if a dog is dropped off in the woods it thinks and decides how to behave next as it either searches for the way out or hunts for water and then food. Drop off a computer in the woods and it is a non-thinking pile of junk as it cannot think or even operate without its human handler/operator/thinker.

LOL name one computer that you believe does not follow instructions?

I need a laugh

ULTRA MAGA

16-04-2023 03:50
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:

Harvey,

All computers require humans to program and operate the machine, when stuff seems to happen automatically this is not happening as the computer is just following its programming.

Again, if a dog is dropped off in the woods it thinks and decides how to behave next as it either searches for the way out or hunts for water and then food. Drop off a computer in the woods and it is a non-thinking pile of junk as it cannot think or even operate without its human handler/operator/thinker.

LOL name one computer that you believe does not follow instructions?

I need a laugh

LOL the PhD psychologist can't answer

Amazing aren't I

Think less, know more

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 16-04-2023 04:06
17-04-2023 03:42
(21600)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,\

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

There is no 'if' here.

Wrong again....
There is no 'if' here.

Actually...

There is no 'if' here.

The Parrot Killer

17-04-2023 03:53
(21600)
keepit wrote:

It is unknown when 'think' became part of the English lexicon, but the term probably originated from the Saxon 'thenkian' which refers to use of the intellect or to conceive in the mind.

The word 'mind' comes from old English as well, generally referring to one's own will.

Computers have no free will, by this definition, then, they cannot think.

The Parrot Killer

17-04-2023 04:15
(21600)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,\

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

There is no 'if' here.

Wrong again....
There is no 'if' here.

How long did it take you to grasp simple logic?

Swan doesn't grasp simple logic.
HarveyH55 wrote:
I learned it working with electronics, before there were personal computers available to the masses. I was in high school, when we got teletype terminals and got to timeshare on a university mainframe over telephone.

Ah...the good old days!
My high school didn't even have teletypes. I got into electronics before high schools generally had teletypes.
HarveyH55 wrote:

Since there is no such thing as a 'quantum computer', there is no such thing as an if/elseif/else construct in it. Simple 'if' constructs are available in the machine language of processors. Anything else is a concept supported by a programming language (typically a procedure oriented language such as C, Python, Java, or ECMA), not the computer itself.

Object oriented languages such as LISP (including Guile and other variants), smalltalk, Turtle, and Tutor also include more complex if/elseif/else constructs.

The Parrot Killer

17-04-2023 04:23
(21600)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
keepit wrote:
Swan,\

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

There is no 'if' here.

Wrong again....
There is no 'if' here.

You might begin by reading on your own independent of me. That is if you can, that said you will have to first accept that quantum computing is real

https://www.scientificamerican.com/video/how-does-a-quantum-computer-work/

Imagine a lightbulb filament, hanging upside down, but it's the most complicated light you've ever seen. Instead of one slender twist of wire, it has organized silvery swarms of them, neatly braided around a core. They are arranged in layers that narrow as you move down. Golden plates separate the structure into sections.

The outer part of this vessel is called the chandelier. It's a supercharged refrigerator that uses a special liquified helium mix to cool the computer's quantum chip down to near absolute zero. That's the coldest temperature theoretically possible.

At such low temperatures, the tiny superconducting circuits in the chip take on their quantum properties. And it's those properties, as we'll soon see, that could be harnessed to perform computational tasks that would be practically impossible on a classical computer.

Traditional computer processors work in binary—the billions of transistors that handle information on your laptop or smartphone are either on (1) or they're off (0). Using a series of circuits, called "gates," computers perform logical operations based on the state of those switches.

Classical computers are designed to follow specific inflexible rules. This makes them extremely reliable, but it also makes them ill-suited for solving certain kinds of problems—in particular, problems where you're trying to find a needle in a haystack.

This is where quantum computers shine.

If you think of a computer solving a problem as a mouse running through a maze, a classical computer finds its way through by trying every path until it reaches the end.

What if, instead of solving the maze through trial and error, you could consider all possible routes simultaneously?

Quantum computers do this by substituting the binary "bits" of classical computing with something called "qubits." Qubits operate according to the mysterious laws of quantum mechanics: the theory that physics works differently at the atomic and subatomic scale.

The classic way to demonstrate quantum mechanics is by shining a light through a barrier with two slits. Some light goes through the top slit, some the bottom, and the light waves knock into each other to create an interference pattern.

But now dim the light until you're firing individual photons one by one—elementary particles that comprise light. Logically, each photon has to travel through a single slit, and they've got nothing to interfere with. But somehow, you still end up with an interference pattern.

Here's what happens according to quantum mechanics: Until you detect them on the screen, each photon exists in a state called "superposition." It's as though it's traveling all possible paths at once. That is, until the superposition state "collapses" under observation to reveal a single point on the screen.

Qubits use this ability to do very efficient calculations.

For the maze example, the superposition state would contain all the possible routes. And then you'd have to collapse the state of superposition to reveal the likeliest path to the cheese.

Just like you add more transistors to extend the capabilities of your classical computer, you add more qubits to create a more powerful quantum computer.

Thanks to a quantum mechanical property called "entanglement," scientists can push multiple qubits into the same state, even if the qubits aren't in contact with each other. And while individual qubits exist in a superposition of two states, this increases exponentially as you entangle more qubits with each other. So a two-qubit system stores 4 possible values, a 20-qubit system more than a million.

So what does that mean for computing power? It helps to think about applying quantum computing to a real world problem: the one of prime numbers.

A prime number is a natural number greater than 1 that can only be divided evenly by itself or 1.

While it's easy to multiply small numbers into giant ones, it's much harder to go the reverse direction; you can't just look at a number and tell its factors. This is the basis for one of the most popular forms of data encryption, called RSA.

You can only decrypt RSA security by factoring the product of two prime numbers. Each prime factor is typically hundreds of digits long, and they serve as unique keys to a problem that's effectively unsolvable without knowing the answers in advance.

In 1995, M.I.T. mathematician Peter Shor, then at AT&T Bell Laboratories, devised a novel algorithm for factoring prime numbers whatever the size. One day, a quantum computer could use its computational power, and Shor's algorithm, to hack everything from your bank records to your personal files.

In 2001, IBM made a quantum computer with seven qubits to demonstrate Shor's algorithm. For qubits, they used atomic nuclei, which have two different spin states that can be controlled through radio frequency pulses.

This wasn't a great way to make a quantum computer, because it's very hard to scale up. But it did manage to run Shor's algorithm and factor 15 into 3 and 5. Hardly an impressive calculation, but still a major achievement in simply proving the algorithm works in practice.

Even now, experts are still trying to get quantum computers to work well enough to best classical supercomputers.

That remains extremely challenging, mostly because quantum states are fragile. It's hard to completely stop qubits from interacting with their outside environment, even with precise lasers in supercooled or vacuum chambers.

Any noise in the system leads to a state called "decoherence," where superposition breaks down and the computer loses information.

A small amount of error is natural in quantum computing, because we're dealing in probabilities rather than the strict rules of binary. But decoherence often introduces so much noise that it obscures the result.

When one qubit goes into a state of decoherence, the entanglement that enables the entire system breaks down.

So how do you fix this? The answer is called error correction--and it can happen in a few ways.

Error Correction #1: A fully error-corrected quantum computer could handle common errors like "bit flips," where a qubit suddenly changes to the wrong state.

To do this you would need to build a quantum computer with a few so-called "logical" qubits that actually do the math, and a bunch of standard qubits that correct for errors.

It would take a lot of error-correcting qubits—maybe 100 or so per logical qubit--to make the system work. But the end result would be an extremely reliable and generally useful quantum computer.

Error Correction #2: Other experts are trying to find clever ways to see through the noise generated by different errors. They are trying to build what they call "Noisy intermediate-scale quantum computers" using another set of algorithms.

That may work in some cases, but probably not across the board.

Error Correction #3: Another tactic is to find a new qubit source that isn't as susceptible to noise, such as "topological particles" that are better at retaining information. But some of these exotic particles (or quasi-particles) are purely hypothetical, so this technology could be years or decades off.

Because of these difficulties, quantum computing has advanced slowly, though there have been some significant achievements.

In 2019, Google used a 54-qubit quantum computer named "Sycamore" to do an incredibly complex (if useless) simulation in under 4 minutes—running a quantum random number generator a million times to sample the likelihood of different results.

Sycamore works very differently from the quantum computer that IBM built to demonstrate Shor's algorithm. Sycamore takes superconducting circuits and cools them to such low temperatures that the electrical current starts to behave like a quantum mechanical system. At present, this is one of the leading methods for building a quantum computer, alongside trapping ions in electric fields, where different energy levels similarly represent different qubit states.

Sycamore was a major breakthrough, though many engineers disagree exactly how major. Google said it was the first demonstration of so-called quantum advantage: achieving a task that would have been impossible for a classical computer.

It said the world's best supercomputer would have needed 10,000 years to do the same task. IBM has disputed that claim.

At least for now, serious quantum computers are a ways off. But with billions of dollars of investment from governments and the world's biggest companies, the race for quantum computing capabilities is well underway. The real question is: how will quantum computing change what a "computer" actually means to us. How will it change how our electronically connected world works? And when?

Sycamore is a randU random number generator and nothing else.
That is not computing anything.
Shor's 'algorithm' is not an algorithm.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 17-04-2023 04:31
17-04-2023 14:25
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:

It is unknown when 'think' became part of the English lexicon, but the term probably originated from the Saxon 'thenkian' which refers to use of the intellect or to conceive in the mind.

The word 'mind' comes from old English as well, generally referring to one's own will.

Computers have no free will, by this definition, then, they cannot think.

Free will does not actually exist as you like any computer merely follow your DNA programming code, which has granted you the illusion of free will.

ULTRA MAGA

17-04-2023 14:51
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14420)
Swan wrote:Free will does not actually exist as you like any computer merely follow your DNA programming code, which has granted you the illusion of free will.

How many sentences did you cram in there? I can't tell because you forgot the periods.
17-04-2023 16:00
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Free will does not actually exist as you like any computer merely follow your DNA programming code, which has granted you the illusion of free will.

How many sentences did you cram in there? I can't tell because you forgot the periods.

So, you can't even put forth an argument. Excellent.

Free will does not actually exist as you like any computer merely follow your DNA programming code, which has granted you the illusion of free will.

ULTRA MAGA

17-04-2023 16:29
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14420)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

So, you don't know how many sentences either. Don't worry, it can happy to anybody.

Regarding free will, what process can I have my children follow to study it?
17-04-2023 17:59
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
The Bible says free will exists.
Think of quantum mechanics - Where causes don't cause a specific effect, but rather cause probabilities of effects.
17-04-2023 18:04
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
keepit wrote:
The Bible says free will exists.
Think of quantum mechanics - Where causes don't cause a specific effect, but rather cause probabilities of effects.

The bible also says that Noah gathered 2 of every animal from North and South America and Australia and Antarctica when those places were not even known yet, and that the lions didn't eat the zebras.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Babble on kid

ULTRA MAGA

17-04-2023 18:06
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5723)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

So, you don't know how many sentences either. Don't worry, it can happy to anybody.

Regarding free will, what process can I have my children follow to study it?

Free will is an illusion, like your intellectual quotient.

ULTRA MAGA

17-04-2023 18:23
keepit
★★★★★
(3060)
Sometimes you have to take the Bible figuratively.
17-04-2023 19:46
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The cynic in me wants to agree with Swan, Free will is an illusion: probably true almost all of the time for everybody.

Only instance it would be false is if somebody can break their programming.

Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate computers:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
computers2104-01-2022 20:58
Questions about computers1304-01-2022 19:33
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact