★★★★★
(3060)
What kind of plane ITN?
Where?
05-02-2021 01:49
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Really Keepit.I am trying to keep this forum on track and you stir the pot.I read a book on pilots dated back a while and the new pilot was landing a plane at night then all of a sudden the senior pilot started lighting matches in the cabin as at the end the senior explained It is not always going to be good conditions.I have no trouble with ITN flying airplanes
05-02-2021 03:08
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:

Nope. Checks your units of measure.

How to Convert Joules to Kelvin

Updated March 13, 2018 By Michael Judge.

Example...

If 4,000 joules of energy were provided to 500 g of water, you would calculate 4,000/500 = 8.

Divide the result of the previous calculation by the specific heat capacity of the substance. You can generally obtain the specific heat capacity of a chemical substance from the manufacturer's literature or from a scientific reference source such as the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. The result of this calculation is the temperature increase of the substance, in units of degrees Celsius. The specific heat capacity of water is g/4.19 J - degrees Celsius. In the example the calculation would be 8/4.19 = 1.9 degrees Celsius.

Add the temperature increase just derived to the substance. This gives you the temperature after the heat input. If the water in the example had initially been at 25 degrees, its temperature after heating would be 25 + 1.9 = 26.9 degrees Celsius.

Add 273.1 to the final temperature of the substance that was just calculated. This is the conversion factor to change from units of degrees Celsius to Kelvin (K). The result is the temperature of the material after the heat input in kelvins. The water temperature would be 26.9 + 273.1 = 300 K.

https://sciencing.com/convert-joules-kelvin-8545208.html

Edited on 05-02-2021 03:09
05-02-2021 03:41
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
Spongy Iris wrote: How to Convert Joules to Kelvin

1. That will not tell you the temperature. It will tell you how much temperature will increase or decrease. If you don't know the starting temperature then you won't know the ending temperature.

2. All of the above is material dependent, i.e. you need an additional parameter, you need the specific heat.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
05-02-2021 10:48
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
keepit wrote:
What kind of plane ITN?
Where?

PA28, BFI

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
05-02-2021 11:08
(21599)
duncan61 wrote:
Really Keepit.I am trying to keep this forum on track and you stir the pot.I read a book on pilots dated back a while and the new pilot was landing a plane at night then all of a sudden the senior pilot started lighting matches in the cabin as at the end the senior explained It is not always going to be good conditions.I have no trouble with ITN flying airplanes

Heh. Any passengers I have tend to sleep during long flights. They don't feel uptight with my flying at all. Indeed, most enjoy the fantastic view you get in small aircraft. I still do, though I've flown for most of my life.

I can sock the ole' needles home without bouncing all over the sky like a lot of pilots do, and keep 'em there all the down to the threshold.

We do have one airport in the area with a most unusual approach system, not commonly seen, called a PAR approach. Under this system, a radar operator is giving you azimuth and glide slope information. He literally talks you through the approach. The only onboard equipment required is a single COM radio. The runway to this airport is tiny. It looks like someone carved a bike path in the middle of a farm. It's not much wider than the wheels on the aircraft.

About the most interesting approach I had was when I lost the attitude gyro while I was on the approach. Epic failure for the instrument too. Instead of just tipping over and dying, like usual, the card snagged on the gyro axis and started spinning rapidly. I completed the approach normally since I was already established. I really didn't need the gyro then. Yes...I was still in instrument conditions when it happened.

A quick replacement of the instrument and the plane was back in service. I still have that dead gyro, just to show people. The card still spins when the gyro spins. For gyro failures, that one's a classic.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
05-02-2021 11:15
(21599)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Nope. Checks your units of measure.

How to Convert Joules to Kelvin

Updated March 13, 2018 By Michael Judge.

Example...

If 4,000 joules of energy were provided to 500 g of water, you would calculate 4,000/500 = 8.

Divide the result of the previous calculation by the specific heat capacity of the substance. You can generally obtain the specific heat capacity of a chemical substance from the manufacturer's literature or from a scientific reference source such as the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. The result of this calculation is the temperature increase of the substance, in units of degrees Celsius. The specific heat capacity of water is g/4.19 J - degrees Celsius. In the example the calculation would be 8/4.19 = 1.9 degrees Celsius.

Add the temperature increase just derived to the substance. This gives you the temperature after the heat input. If the water in the example had initially been at 25 degrees, its temperature after heating would be 25 + 1.9 = 26.9 degrees Celsius.

Add 273.1 to the final temperature of the substance that was just calculated. This is the conversion factor to change from units of degrees Celsius to Kelvin (K). The result is the temperature of the material after the heat input in kelvins. The water temperature would be 26.9 + 273.1 = 300 K.

https://sciencing.com/convert-joules-kelvin-8545208.html

This is not converting joules to degrees kelvin. You just built a calorimeter. which doesn't measure temperature.

The Parrot Killer

05-02-2021 16:16
(14414)
Into the Night wrote: We do have one airport in the area with a most unusual approach system, not commonly seen, called a PAR approach. Under this system, a radar operator is giving you azimuth and glide slope information. He literally talks you through the approach. The only onboard equipment required is a single COM radio.

Howard Air Force Base in Panamá used PAR. The base also installed an ILS in the late 90s that put the PAR in second chair until an F-16 pilot backed right up to the ILS localizer array and hit the afterburners ... and the PAR returned to primary use until the ILS was repaired.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
05-02-2021 20:21
(21599)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote: We do have one airport in the area with a most unusual approach system, not commonly seen, called a PAR approach. Under this system, a radar operator is giving you azimuth and glide slope information. He literally talks you through the approach. The only onboard equipment required is a single COM radio.

Howard Air Force Base in Panamá used PAR. The base also installed an ILS in the late 90s that put the PAR in second chair until an F-16 pilot backed right up to the ILS localizer array and hit the afterburners ... and the PAR returned to primary use until the ILS was repaired.

Ouch! I bet someone caught hell for that one!
How much did it melt before it was blown off it's mounts? Do you know, or have pictures of it?

The Parrot Killer

05-02-2021 21:10
(14414)
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

You might have missed that little detail that it was an F-16 pilot. They don't get in trouble unless there is loss of life or aircraft. The 24th Communications Squadron Commander was instead chastized for placing the array too close to where the fighter pilot needed to take off.

Into the Night wrote:How much did it melt before it was blown off it's mounts?

It was totally destroyed. Fortunately, the 24th Wing had the budget to acquire a new one and some airmen got a first-rate opportunity to get certified in installing the array (which differs from being certified to maintain the array).

Sorry, I have no photos.

06-02-2021 00:34
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote: How to Convert Joules to Kelvin

1. That will not tell you the temperature. It will tell you how much temperature will increase or decrease. If you don't know the starting temperature then you won't know the ending temperature.

2. All of the above is material dependent, i.e. you need an additional parameter, you need the specific heat.

We have good knowledge of the specific heat of air in our atmosphere, in Joule per Kelvin and Kilogram. And good knowledge of the mass of air in an area.

If the Sun stops shining, how long before temperatures reach zero Kelvin?

Assume the starting temperature of Earth is zero Kelvin before Joules are added. There you go. The example is applicable.

06-02-2021 02:13
(14414)
Spongy Iris wrote:We have good knowledge of the specific heat of air in our atmosphere, in Joule per Kelvin and Kilogram.

What does that have to do with your original point?

Spongy Iris wrote:If the Sun stops shining, how long before temperatures reach zero Kelvin?

It won't ever happen.

Are you trying to argue that joules applied to the atmosphere will increase its temperature in such a way that it will never cool? I'm not following this rabbit hole.

06-02-2021 02:22
(21599)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

You might have missed that little detail that it was an F-16 pilot. They don't get in trouble unless there is loss of life or aircraft. The 24th Communications Squadron Commander was instead chastized for placing the array too close to where the fighter pilot needed to take off.

Into the Night wrote:How much did it melt before it was blown off it's mounts?

It was totally destroyed. Fortunately, the 24th Wing had the budget to acquire a new one and some airmen got a first-rate opportunity to get certified in installing the array (which differs from being certified to maintain the array).

Sorry, I have no photos.

I certainly don't blame the F-16 pilot. I would blame the Squadron Commander as well. That was really a twit move to install a thing like that so close to the runway threshold.

Wish there were some photos of it. It must've been a mess!

The Parrot Killer

06-02-2021 02:24
(21599)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:We have good knowledge of the specific heat of air in our atmosphere, in Joule per Kelvin and Kilogram.

Spongy Iris wrote:If the Sun stops shining, how long before temperatures reach zero Kelvin?

It won't ever happen.

Are you trying to argue that joules applied to the atmosphere will increase its temperature in such a way that it will never cool? I'm not following this rabbit hole.

When you find the Queen of Hearts, let me know.

The Parrot Killer

06-02-2021 02:28
(14414)
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

It won't ever happen.

When you find the Queen of Hearts, let me know.

Page 5 of 5<<<345

Join the debate 2021 Has Started With A Roar In The North Pacific:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
It is not if, but when will North become South and the Geese will fly the wrong way7824-11-2023 03:35
The Fastest Way To End The Virus Pandemic Is Using The North Korea Strategy, Policy & Environment010-08-2021 03:22
It Has Started - Bad News for Bernie522-03-2019 04:54
Climate change putting entire North Atlantic ecosystem at risk, says oceans conference organizer118-03-2019 19:57
Climate Change Is Driving Marine Species North, Changing California's Coast514-03-2019 03:47
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact