Remember me
▼ Content

Open vs closed/ 2nd law

Page 1 of 212>
Open vs closed/ 2nd law20-02-2020 20:43
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
There's been misapplication of the 2nd law/entropy by some posters here. I'll be brief.
Open system vs closed system. In an open system there can be a decrease in entropy. In a closed system there can only be an increase in entropy.
The earth and its atmosphere is an open system. Also, life is an open system.
Carnot and Clausius booth understood this.
There's been a misapplication of the concept of emissivity. The emissivity of anything but a perfect black body depends on the wavelength. The earth isn't a perfect black body.
20-02-2020 21:08
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14450)
keepit wrote: In an open system there can be a decrease in entropy.

Do you know what that means? Can you identify a scenario where that matters in any way?

keepit wrote: Also, life is an open system.

... except when it's a closed system.

keepit wrote: There's been a misapplication of the concept of emissivity. The emissivity of anything but a perfect black body depends on the wavelength.

Nope. It's rare to find someone like you who religiously INSISTS on being mistaken.

[/quote] The earth isn't a perfect black body.[/quote]
The term is "ideal" black body ... not "perfect."

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
20-02-2020 21:13
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
More semantics IBDM. You're a waste of time.
20-02-2020 21:45
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21624)
keepit wrote:
There's been misapplication of the 2nd law/entropy by some posters here. I'll be brief.
Open system vs closed system. In an open system there can be a decrease in entropy. In a closed system there can only be an increase in entropy.

Again, you have no concept of what an open system is, and what a closed system is. You are still trying to declare two different closed systems as the same system. Mantra 15...20a2..29
keepit wrote:
The earth and its atmosphere is an open system.

No. It is a closed system. A closed system is simply one where you have defined boundaries. You have defined the boundaries of the system. It is closed.
The Earth, the space around it, and the Sun are ANOTHER closed system. They are not the same closed system as the Earth and it's atmosphere alone. You keep trying to consider these two system the same system. They are not.
keepit wrote:
Also, life is an open system.

Life isn't a system.[/quote]
Mantra 10 (life<->thermodynamics system).
keepit wrote:
Carnot and Clausius booth understood this.

You don't get to drop the names of either of these individuals to redefine what they did. Mantra 21.
keepit wrote:
There's been a misapplication of the concept of emissivity. The emissivity of anything but a perfect black body depends on the wavelength.

WRONG. Emissivity has no frequency term. Mantra 20b.
keepit wrote:
The earth isn't a perfect black body.

Irrelevant. You are trying to discard the emissivity term from the Stefan-Boltzmann law and add a frequency term to the same law. Mantra 20b...15...10

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
20-02-2020 21:47
(14450)
keepit wrote: More semantics IBDM.

Yes. It's amazing how you fail to grasp that "semantics" is all we have on a message board.

What else would I have?

Have you ever considered that this internet thing might not be quite up your alley? Have you ever considered investing your energies into something in which you might be correct occasionally?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
20-02-2020 22:48
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
IBDM and ITN,
Where did you get your misconceptions about the 2nd law and emissivity?
I got mine from wikipedia.
20-02-2020 23:04
(21624)
keepit wrote:
IBDM and ITN,

We know. We have already told you that Wikipedia is wrong.

Trying to change equations like you do is not a misconception. It is trying to change the equation.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 20-02-2020 23:06
20-02-2020 23:20
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
keepit wrote:
IBDM and ITN,

Well, at least you're being honest about where you get your misconceptions from.

Why are you trying to compare your misconceptions with their "misconceptions"? Why not just look at the laws themselves and start from there?
Edited on 20-02-2020 23:23
20-02-2020 23:26
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
And where did you get the idea that wiki isn't reliable?
Come on now, don't dodge. That's no fun.
20-02-2020 23:55
(3314)
keepit wrote:

They belong to you, not me.

keepit wrote:
And where did you get the idea that wiki isn't reliable?

From reading through numerous Wikipedia articles and noticing that many of them are either misleading, incomplete, or just plain wrong.

Some other sources that fall into this category include, but are not limited to:
** Politifact, Snopes, and other "fact checkers".
** MSNBC, CNN, Washington Post, New York Times, and other fake news organizations and publications.
** NOAA, NASA, and other government agencies (at least with regard to The Church).
** livescience.com, and other Church websites.

keepit wrote:

Dodging can actually be quite fun. When I was in grade school and high school, we played this little game called dodge ball. Chucking balls at people is quite fun. Gym class is quite useful for kids instead of shoving Ritalin and Adderall down their throats.
21-02-2020 00:14
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
Your opinion on this matter is in the extreme minority. What does that tell you? That everyone is wrong and you're almost the only one that is right.
Also, your answer about wiki wasn't very good imho.
21-02-2020 01:25
(21624)
keepit wrote:...deleted Mantras 29...20a2...20b...4...29...

No argument presented. RQAA.

The Parrot Killer

21-02-2020 01:29
(21624)
keepit wrote:
Your opinion on this matter is in the extreme minority. What does that tell you? That everyone is wrong and you're almost the only one that is right.
Also, your answer about wiki wasn't very good imho.

Science isn't consensus. It does not use consensus. It is not Wikipedia. It is not any website, book, government agency, credential, university, data set, or religion.

You don't get to speak for everyone. You only get to speak for you. You don't get to change the theories and declare your modifications to be 'right'.

Mantras 29...4...20a2...20b...10 (science<->religion).

The Parrot Killer

21-02-2020 01:32
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
Cop out.
21-02-2020 01:36
(14450)
keepit wrote: Cop out.

Question: What is the difference between keepit and a random word generator?
Answer: A random word generator sometimes says something that is correct.

21-02-2020 06:06
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
keepit wrote:

gfm7175 wrote:Dodging can actually be quite fun. When I was in grade school and high school, we played this little game called dodge ball. Chucking balls at people is quite fun. Gym class is quite useful for kids instead of shoving Ritalin and Adderall down their throats.

Wrong. Dodge ball is nothing more than a game that oppresses weak individuals through the exercise of violence and dominance. In short, it is bullying.

gfm7175, if you were a teacher I bet you would even grade papers in red ink. Disgusting.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
Edited on 21-02-2020 06:09
21-02-2020 06:30
(14450)
GasGuzzler wrote:
keepit wrote:

gfm7175 wrote:Dodging can actually be quite fun. When I was in grade school and high school, we played this little game called dodge ball. Chucking balls at people is quite fun. Gym class is quite useful for kids instead of shoving Ritalin and Adderall down their throats.

Wrong. Dodge ball is nothing more than a game that oppresses weak individuals through the exercise of violence and dominance. In short, it is bullying.

gfm7175, if you were a teacher I bet you would even grade papers in red ink. Disgusting.

Stop judging, TROLL! You use your privilege to spew your microaggressions all over the internet. Shouldn't you be supporting Trump or something?

21-02-2020 16:44
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:

keepit is still batting a big fat 0.000 I take it?
21-02-2020 16:50
(3314)
GasGuzzler wrote:
keepit wrote:

What if I were to hand out participation trophies afterward??

GasGuzzler wrote:

Of course I would!! But why stop at red? Why not add in every color of the rainbow, you know, so as to be fully inclusive of LGTBQLMNOPAARP+ people.
21-02-2020 16:57
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Stop judging, TROLL! You use your privilege to spew your microaggressions all over the internet. Shouldn't you be supporting Trump or something?

People actually support that rich old white christian science-denying climate-denying racist bigoted xenophobic homophobic flat-earther?!?!?!
21-02-2020 17:32
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
I had a great time playing dodge ball as a kid. Before too long though i became an adult and fully realized that it is a game of bullying.
21-02-2020 21:13
(3314)
keepit wrote:
I had a great time playing dodge ball as a kid. Before too long though i became an adult and fully realized that it is a game of bullying.

... just try to learn what an open system is vs a closed system...
21-02-2020 21:21
(14450)
gfm7175 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

People actually support that rich old white christian science-denying climate-denying racist bigoted xenophobic homophobic flat-earther?!?!?!

How DARE YOU call him "old".

21-02-2020 23:43
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
gfn/ITN,
What do you think the difference is between an open and a closed system? I gave a summary of my opinion.

Sean Carroll, astrophysical theorist at CalTech recommended Wikipedia for particle physics information.
Anyone who doesn't agree with him should say why and give their credentials to back them selves up so they don't look silly.
Edited on 22-02-2020 00:03
21-02-2020 23:50
(21624)
keepit wrote:
gfn/ITN,
What do you think the difference is between an open and a closed system? I gave a summary of my opinion.

RQAA

The Parrot Killer

21-02-2020 23:59
(14450)
gfm7175 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

keepit is still batting a big fat 0.000 I take it?

I can't think of anyone else who is not only incorrect all the time but who fervently advocates for absurd errors for which he has already been corrected.

Question: How do you know when keepit is mistaken?
Answer: When he has posted.

22-02-2020 00:05
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
ITN,
Cop out. I don't think you have answers that will stand up to scrutiny.

IBDM,
Don't you ever have anything original?
Edited on 22-02-2020 00:06
22-02-2020 00:38
(21624)
keepit wrote:
...deleted Mantras 23...22...7...

No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

22-02-2020 00:49
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
ITN,
More cop out.
22-02-2020 01:00
(21624)
keepit wrote:
...deleted Mantra 22...23

No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

22-02-2020 01:45
(14450)
keepit wrote:
ITN,
Cop out. I don't think you have answers that will stand up to scrutiny.

IBDM,
Don't you ever have anything original?

All of my work is original.

All of your thoughts, opinions and beliefs are handed to you. I can't think of anything more pathetic than someone who goes around citing Wikipedia.

Oh wait, I can: A warmizombie who thinks he's a Christian ... who goes around citing Wikipedia.

Oh wait ... I got it now ... A warmizombie who thinks he's a Christian who thinks that printing dollars don't increase the number of dollars, who insists emissivity has a wavelength term and who goes around citing Wikipedia, who takes immense pride in being mistaken on every idea expressed and whose thoughts, opinions and beliefs are given to him by someone else who does his thinking for him.

Yeah, I honestly cannot think of anything more pathetic. Maybe you just need an intervention ... and a twelve-step program. Jussayn.

22-02-2020 01:56
keepit
★★★★★
(3070)
There you go with another string of baloney.
Not every thing i say about science is original. That would be preposterous. We all have to depend on the work of others who have formulated theories.
You, on the other hand, can't even cite where you get your information or even your credentials.
Now you're even stooping to the point of persecuting my Christian beliefs.
Also, if ALL of your work is original you must have spent an awful lot of money and time on experimentation.
And what is pathetic about citing other peoples work in science?
I never said emissivity has a wavelength term. I said it is dependent on frequency which is dependent on the body in question. Get it right pal.
Not only do you not have any answers that will stand up to scrutiny, you have very few answers at all, just a lot of fluff, semantics, and vile talk.
Do you have your own Large Hadron Collider?
Edited on 22-02-2020 02:01
22-02-2020 05:32
(14450)
keepit wrote: Not every thing i say about science is original.

Nothing you say is original. You regurgitate errors, exclusively.

keepit wrote: You, on the other hand, can't even cite where you get your information or even your credentials.

I have explained how I attained my knowledge and how I carry it around with me, accessible 24/7 so that I am not a mental slave relegated to regurgitating internet misinformation.

keepit wrote: Now you're even stooping to the point of persecuting my Christian beliefs.

Your beliefs aren't Christian, although you mistakenly call them Christian. But hey, you haven't been right about anything else thus far so who should be surprised that you misclassify your beliefs as well?

Your faith is a Climazombie-Christian hybrid.

keepit wrote: I never said emissivity has a wavelength term.

On 20 FEB 2020 at 20:43 keepit wrote:The emissivity of anything but a perfect black body depends on the wavelength.

I know, I know ... nobody expected you to get your own quotes right.

You're still batting 0.000

22-02-2020 09:36
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:
keepit wrote: You, on the other hand, can't even cite where you get your information or even your credentials.

I have explained how I attained my knowledge and how I carry it around.
Oral tradition keepit. No books allowed.
IBdaMann wrote:
tmiddles wrote:So help me out here. How did you learn...
Someone explained the science to me, as I have to you, and then I was able to go into a lab and apply the scientific method...

Hey IBD can you recommend a good book on the 2nd LTD?

"Good tests kill flawed theories; we remain alive to guess again." - Karl Popper
ITN/IBD Fraud exposed:  The 2nd LTD add on claiming radiance from cooler bodies can't be absorbed Max Planck debunks, they can't explain:net-thermal-radiation-you-in-a-room-as-a-reference & Proof: no data is valid for IBD or ITN
22-02-2020 17:28
(14450)
tmiddles wrote:Hey IBD can you recommend a good book on the 2nd LTD?

tmiddles, can you recommend a good repeatable demonstration of thermal energy flowing from cooler to warmer? I'm sure YouTube must be peppered with thousands of them but I don't have your experience in that area. Which one do you think is best?

22-02-2020 18:51
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:
...can you recommend a good repeatable demonstration of thermal energy flowing from cooler to warmer?

You typically dodge all questions but I'll point out you dodged another one.

You have a personal, private definition for words, among them "flow" so I don't really ever know what you're saying.

But I have provided you 12 sources on Net Radiative Transfer here:
TWELVE REFERENCES

I don't have your "no books allowed" handicap.

Hey keepit you know I charged some batteries this morning after I got out my magic wand that allows me to violate IBD's custom 2nd LTD. See the entropy was reduced in the system of the batteries and battery charger. Amazing stuff this special magic of the warmazombies.

"Good tests kill flawed theories; we remain alive to guess again." - Karl Popper
ITN/IBD Fraud exposed:  The 2nd LTD add on claiming radiance from cooler bodies can't be absorbed Max Planck debunks, they can't explain:net-thermal-radiation-you-in-a-room-as-a-reference & Proof: no data is valid for IBD or ITN
22-02-2020 20:30
(14450)
tmiddles wrote:But I have provided you 12 sources on Net Radiative Transfer here:

... and I'm still waiting for you to tell me where and in which one that thermal energy is shown to flow from cooler to warmer.

Yep. Still waiting. You have provided ZERO such references to date and zero repeatable demonstrations. Day after day, you refer to my waiting as "dodging" on my part.

We should take a poll to see which one of us has a "private vocabulary of hijacked terms."

22-02-2020 21:38
(21624)
keepit wrote:
There you go with another string of baloney.

Mantra 23
keepit wrote:
Not every thing i say about science is original. That would be preposterous.

Mantra 15...10 (science<->religion)
keepit wrote:
We all have to depend on the work of others who have formulated theories.

You deny theories of science. You deny the people that created them. You deny the history of theories of science. Instead, you try to change the theories to suit your religion. Mantra 20a1...20a2...20b.
keepit wrote:
You, on the other hand, can't even cite where you get your information or even your credentials.

Mantra 4b...10 (science<->credential)...10 (science<->citation)
keepit wrote:
Now you're even stooping to the point of persecuting my Christian beliefs.

Are you really so sensitive about people criticizing your Christian beliefs? Get used to it, pal. Mantra 16.
keepit wrote:
Also, if ALL of your work is original you must have spent an awful lot of money and time on experimentation.

Mantra 29...10 (science<->money)...10 (science<->experiment).
keepit wrote:
And what is pathetic about citing other peoples work in science?

Mantra 29...4b
keepit wrote:
I never said emissivity has a wavelength term. I said it is dependent on frequency which is dependent on the body in question. Get it right pal.

Paradox. Which is it, dude?
keepit wrote:
Not only do you not have any answers that will stand up to scrutiny, you have very few answers at all, just a lot of fluff, semantics, and vile talk.

Mantra 29...30...5
keepit wrote:
Do you have your own Large Hadron Collider?

Mantra 15

The Parrot Killer

22-02-2020 21:39
(21624)
tmiddles wrote:
...deleted TMSa9...

The Parrot Killer

22-02-2020 21:45
(21624)
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
...can you recommend a good repeatable demonstration of thermal energy flowing from cooler to warmer?

You typically dodge all questions but I'll point out you dodged another one.
...deleted remaining Mantras 15...TMSa1...4b...20a2

Evasion. You are dodging IBdaMann's question yet again. Mantra 17.

The Parrot Killer

Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate Open vs closed/ 2nd law:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
17 year old cyclist murdered, do not expect the law to investigate, as the cyclist is always at fault031-07-2023 22:23
WHEN IS OPEN SOURCE AI NOT OPEN SOURCE AI?4226-07-2023 02:56
Thou shalt not murder a tomato, this law has me in trouble213-05-2023 23:41
Surface temperature of earth according to Boltzmann law5610-05-2023 15:46
Murphy's Law105-04-2023 21:24
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact