Remember me
▼ Content

How does radiation heat CO2

How does radiation heat CO214-08-2019 16:28
olyz
★☆☆☆☆
(87)
Radiation of sufficient intensity at the absorption frequency of CO2 will excite the molecule till it flies apart at high velocity and strikes other molecules, which is an increase in temperature.
By that model you should create carbon and oxygen or CO- and O+. If that doesn't happen you just have a lot of radiation flying around and that doesn't increase temperature. The temperature of a vacuum with radiation in it is zero.

Does a CO2 molecule in a vacuum radiate? Why not? It is a vibrating dipole. Does it have a stable mode of vibration that doesn't radiate, like orbital electrons don't radiate?

Finally, there is the possibility that, even if the molecule doesn't break up, it's kinetic energy would be increased by it's interaction with the radiation. This would not be the case if emissivity=absorptivity for a molecule.
14-08-2019 20:34
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14477)
olyz wrote: Does a CO2 molecule in a vacuum radiate?

Yes, per Stefan-Boltzmann, per Planck's, per Wein's and per Kirchoff's.

Black body science applies to all matter, always, everywhere.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-08-2019 22:10
olyz
★☆☆☆☆
(87)
I was asking if it had a stable vibrational mode corresponding to its natural frequency of vibration. If the whole molecule is vibrating it is obviously radiating.

It is not a black body because it only absorbs energy at a certain frequency of vibration. A black body absorbs all the radiation that hits it, which is the definition of a black body. A white sheet of enamel doesn't absorb all the energy which hits it.
14-08-2019 22:21
(14477)
olyz wrote: I was asking if it had a stable vibrational mode corresponding to its natural frequency of vibration.

Please explain to me how that matters in any way what-so-fugging-ever.

(forgive me, I'm listening to Rammstein at the moment. Right now I just want to conquer Europe).

olyz wrote: If the whole molecule is vibrating it is obviously radiating.

Earth to olyz! If it is matter it is obviously radiating. Hello! Are you listening?

olyz wrote:It is not a black body because it only absorbs energy at a certain frequency of vibration.

Hey, olyz, pull your ass out of Wikipedia. You sound like a moron.

Is the CO2 molecule matter?

Yes?

Then it is a black body. What part of this do you not understand?

Black body science applies to all matter, always, everywhere. PLEASE tell me what part of that you have trouble grasping.

olyz wrote: A black body absorbs all the radiation that hits it,

Nope. Only a theoretical IDEAL black body does. Plain old regular black bodies, the kind that exist in nature, do not. They have emissivities less than 1.0.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
15-08-2019 00:39
olyz
★☆☆☆☆
(87)
IBdaMann,
I agree with you on wiki, up to a point. There are some basic definitions. But you are a free spirit, I get that, i'm Ok with that.

Ramstein, Ramstein? The air base?
15-08-2019 02:05
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
olyz wrote:Ramstein? The air base?

A really good German band
15-08-2019 05:38
(14477)
olyz wrote:
IBdaMann,
I agree with you on wiki, up to a point. There are some basic definitions. But you are a free spirit, I get that, i'm Ok with that.

Ramstein, Ramstein? The air base?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkW-K5RQdzo&list=PLjAVgrtHebmuOwEDQvCtFgm1i8giXPg19

Join the debate How does radiation heat CO2:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39503-05-2024 00:10
The Van Allen radiation belts and the Tropopause506-01-2024 23:46
Proof That Too Much CO2 Is An Existential Threat32607-11-2023 19:16
Some can take the heat, and214-10-2023 13:26
Anyone explain how does N2 and O2 don't absorb electromagnetic radiation?4902-02-2023 01:23
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact