Remember me
▼ Content

Anyone explain how does N2 and O2 don't absorb electromagnetic radiation?

Page 1 of 212>
Anyone explain how does N2 and O2 don't absorb electromagnetic radiation?10-02-2019 14:12
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
From what I heard, it's because they got 2 atoms that cancel each other out. They say CH4 does absorb which I suppose is because 4 is even number. I guess that means even number cancel out, odd number don't. I guess a hypothetical C1000H1000N1000 would not absorb any electromagnetic radiation while a hypothetical C1000H1001N1000 would, yes? However, in Terminator 2, liquid nitrogen heats up quickly, which is purely by conduction with air and ground and not by IR radiation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6N_1dlATc8
10-02-2019 15:49
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
From what I heard, it's because they got 2 atoms that cancel each other out. They say CH4 does absorb which I suppose is because 4 is even number. I guess that means even number cancel out, odd number don't. I guess a hypothetical C1000H1000N1000 would not absorb any electromagnetic radiation while a hypothetical C1000H1001N1000 would, yes? However, in Terminator 2, liquid nitrogen heats up quickly, which is purely by conduction with air and ground and not by IR radiation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zas2EovN0wI

10-02-2019 23:46
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Light is a form of electro-magnetic energy. O2 and N2 absorb energy in the upper reaches of the spectrum.

Odd number of proton elements are somewhat unstable and have far fewer stable isotopes.

So it isn't really clear why you think that any matter cannot be effected by energy in one form or another.
11-02-2019 01:06
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
Wake wrote:
[quote]Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Light is a form of electro-magnetic energy.
Wake wrote:
O2 and N2 absorb energy in the upper reaches of the spectrum.

What spectrum is that, Wake. A subjective term. Meaningless.
Wake wrote:
Odd number of proton elements are somewhat unstable and have far fewer stable isotopes.

Hydrogen has three stable isotopes, Wake. Same as carbon. Helium, on the other hand, has only two.
Wake wrote:
So it isn't really clear why you think that any matter cannot be effected by energy in one form or another.

You missed the sarcasm, Wake.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
11-02-2019 01:09
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Hydrogen has three stable isotopes, Wake. Same as carbon. Helium, on the other hand, has only two.
Wake wrote:

The science denier speaks again.
11-02-2019 01:36
(21582)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

You missing sarcasm is now 'science', Wake??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
11-02-2019 02:02
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

I notice you've never gotten around to telling us how you can supposedly hold down a job and yet post 24 hours a day. Are you one of those walking dead? Maybe you are disabled but really know a lot about science like how to wipe yourself with a hook?
11-02-2019 22:07
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

I notice you've never gotten around to telling us how you can supposedly hold down a job and yet post 24 hours a day. Are you one of those walking dead? Maybe you are disabled but really know a lot about science like how to wipe yourself with a hook?

Spare us all of your bulverism, Wake...

He's already explained that he is self-employed... He does not post 24 hours a day, but it seems as if he lives rent free in your head 24/7/365, however...

The Bible has a lot to say about anger... How one should be slow to it... How one should not let the sun go down on their anger... I hope you one day resolve your anger issues...
11-02-2019 23:47
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
gfm7175 wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

He's already explained that he is self-employed... He does not post 24 hours a day, but it seems as if he lives rent free in your head 24/7/365, however...

The Bible has a lot to say about anger... How one should be slow to it... How one should not let the sun go down on their anger... I hope you one day resolve your anger issues...

He never said he was self employed. What's more how is it that you use exactly the same wording as he does in your posts? Again it seems like you're nothing more than Nightmare using a second registration so that you can get SOMEONE to agree with yourself.

For instance, neither of you seems to know the definition for the word "Bulverism" nor the proper use of it. Why would that be if you weren't the same person?
Edited on 11-02-2019 23:49
12-02-2019 01:25
(21582)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

I notice you've never gotten around to telling us how you can supposedly hold down a job

I don't. I run my own business, Wake.
Wake wrote:
and yet post 24 hours a day.

I don't, Wake.
Wake wrote:
Are you one of those walking dead?

No, I am quite alive, I assure you.
Wake wrote:
Maybe you are disabled

Not a bit of it, Wake.
Wake wrote:
but really know a lot about science

That I do, Wake.
Wake wrote:
like how to wipe yourself with a hook?

Insult fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

12-02-2019 01:25
(21582)
gfm7175 wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Me too. Now he wants to start a war over 'global warming'.

The Parrot Killer

12-02-2019 01:29
(21582)
Wake wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

He never said he was self employed.

I've told you so quite a few times, Wake. Pay attention.
Wake wrote:
What's more how is it that you use exactly the same wording as he does in your posts?
He doesn't.
Wake wrote:
Again it seems like you're nothing more than Nightmare using a second registration so that you can get SOMEONE to agree with yourself.

The IP log, which YOU can't access, shows the difference.
Wake wrote:
For instance, neither of you seems to know the definition for the word "Bulverism" nor the proper use of it.

Bulverism is the fallacy of discarding an argument because of who it making it and not dealing with the argument itself.
Wake wrote:
Why would that be if you weren't the same person?

Because bulverism doesn't change depending on who is using the word, Wake.

The Parrot Killer

12-02-2019 02:12
(3314)
Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

I saw that... there IS a righteous time to be angry, as Jesus was when he chased the money changers out of his father's house, but in the vast majority of cases, anger tends to result from evils such as selfishness, envy, bigotry, etc... That type of anger is what engulfs Wake on a regular basis, such as his wanting to start a war over a circularly-defined buzzword... fundamentalists of any religion are typically filled with this type of unrighteous anger, and they need to find peace and comfort somehow... I've personally found that feeling in Jesus Christ, and since I've made certain related lifestyle changes, I've felt MUCH calmer and content and comforted. I do wish that sort of well being for Wake, as he clearly needs help with his anger issues...
12-02-2019 02:42
(21582)
gfm7175 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

I saw that... there IS a righteous time to be angry, as Jesus was when he chased the money changers out of his father's house, but in the vast majority of cases, anger tends to result from evils such as selfishness, envy, bigotry, etc... That type of anger is what engulfs Wake on a regular basis, such as his wanting to start a war over a circularly-defined buzzword... fundamentalists of any religion are typically filled with this type of unrighteous anger, and they need to find peace and comfort somehow... I've personally found that feeling in Jesus Christ, and since I've made certain related lifestyle changes, I've felt MUCH calmer and content and comforted. I do wish that sort of well being for Wake, as he clearly needs help with his anger issues...

Wake may be bound by the chains of his own anger, but at least Jesus Christ has put a hacksaw within his reach, if he would only use it.

The Parrot Killer

13-02-2019 22:25
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake may be bound by the chains of his own anger, but at least Jesus Christ has put a hacksaw within his reach, if he would only use it.

So what you're saying is that your entire belief system that disclaims science is based upon your religious beliefs. I was wondering why you act so insane. My late father-in-law despite being a Methodist Minister NEVER denied science like you have been doing. Ohm that's right - you don't believe that I had a minister as a father-in-law because God spoke to you from a burning bush.
13-02-2019 23:15
(21582)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

So what you're saying is that your entire belief system that disclaims science

Christianity does not disclaim science, Wake.
Wake wrote:
is based upon your religious beliefs.

Quite the other way around, Wake.
Wake wrote:
I was wondering why you act so insane.

Insult fallacy. Psychoquackery.
Wake wrote:
My late father-in-law despite being a Methodist Minister

I don't believe you. Now you have him changing religions. How may religions was your father-in-law a minister for, Wake?
Wake wrote:
NEVER denied science like you have been doing.

I have no idea. Irrelevant.
Wake wrote:
Ohm that's right -

Ohm was right.
Wake wrote:
you don't believe that I had a minister as a father-in-law

No, I don't. You can't keep your lies straight, Wake.
Wake wrote:
because God spoke to you from a burning bush.

Nah. He didn't have to.

BTW, did you know that bushes that appear to burn but don't actually burn is, while rare, is not that uncommon? It especially happens in desert or mountainous areas. I have seen 'burning bushes', but God didn't speak to me out of them. They're actually really cool looking. I've seen locust plagues, too.

The Parrot Killer

14-02-2019 00:07
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

So what you're saying is that your entire belief system that disclaims science

Christianity does not disclaim science, Wake.
Wake wrote:
is based upon your religious beliefs.

Quite the other way around, Wake.
Wake wrote:
I was wondering why you act so insane.

Insult fallacy. Psychoquackery.
Wake wrote:
My late father-in-law despite being a Methodist Minister

I don't believe you. Now you have him changing religions. How may religions was your father-in-law a minister for, Wake?
Wake wrote:
NEVER denied science like you have been doing.

I have no idea. Irrelevant.
Wake wrote:
Ohm that's right -

Ohm was right.
Wake wrote:
you don't believe that I had a minister as a father-in-law

No, I don't. You can't keep your lies straight, Wake.
Wake wrote:
because God spoke to you from a burning bush.

Nah. He didn't have to.

BTW, did you know that bushes that appear to burn but don't actually burn is, while rare, is not that uncommon? It especially happens in desert or mountainous areas. I have seen 'burning bushes', but God didn't speak to me out of them. They're actually really cool looking. I've seen locust plagues, too.
While spouting your own scienceless religion you don't seem to know what a protestant is.

You didn't see a plague locusts - you are one.
14-02-2019 01:02
(21582)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Nah. He didn't have to.

While spouting your own scienceless religion

Science isn't religion, Wake. Neither is religion science. The two have nothing to do with each other at all.
Wake wrote:
you don't seem to know what a protestant is.

A branch Christianity that contains several religions, including Baptists, Methodists, Lutheran, and Evangelists. Your father-in-law is not a protestant minister, Wake. There is no such thing. Protestants are a set of several religions. It is not a religion in and of itself., Wake.

Trying to cover up for the inconsistency of your lies, eh?
Wake wrote:

I have seen several. I grew up in the desert, Wake. The last one I saw moved through central Nevada. That was a couple of years ago.

The Parrot Killer

14-02-2019 02:02
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Nah. He didn't have to.

While spouting your own scienceless religion

Science isn't religion, Wake. Neither is religion science. The two have nothing to do with each other at all.
Wake wrote:
you don't seem to know what a protestant is.

A branch Christianity that contains several religions, including Baptists, Methodists, Lutheran, and Evangelists. Your father-in-law is not a protestant minister, Wake. There is no such thing. Protestants are a set of several religions. It is not a religion in and of itself., Wake.

Trying to cover up for the inconsistency of your lies, eh?
Wake wrote:

I have seen several. I grew up in the desert, Wake. The last one I saw moved through central Nevada. That was a couple of years ago.

More life reflections of a moron. Protestantism is the second largest form of Christianity with collectively more than 900 million adherents worldwide or nearly 40% of all Christians. It originated with the 16th century Reformation, a movement against what its followers perceived to be errors in the Roman Catholic Church.

Protestant is an entire movement away from Catholicism. There are Protestant churches if you bothered to look in your directory. But any of the SUB catagories are ALL protestants.

So now we know that you moronic half-wit don't have any religion of your own and intended to co-opt that of the only person that wasn't laughing in your face.
14-02-2019 02:08
(21582)
Wake wrote:
More life reflections of a moron.

Bulverism fallacy. Insult fallacy.
Wake wrote:
Protestantism is the second largest form of Christianity with collectively more than 900 million adherents worldwide or nearly 40% of all Christians. It originated with the 16th century Reformation, a movement against what its followers perceived to be errors in the Roman Catholic Church.

Protestant is an entire movement away from Catholicism. There are Protestant churches if you bothered to look in your directory. But any of the SUB catagories are ALL protestants.

That's what I said, Wake. It is not a religion. It is a set of religions.
Wake wrote:
So now we know that you moronic half-wit don't have any religion of your own and intended to co-opt that of the only person that wasn't laughing in your face.

Insult fallacy. I am a Christian, Wake. No, I don't own it. Bulverism fallacy. False dichotomy fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

14-02-2019 02:12
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:
Protestantism is the second largest form of Christianity with collectively more than 900 million adherents worldwide or nearly 40% of all Christians. It originated with the 16th century Reformation, a movement against what its followers perceived to be errors in the Roman Catholic Church.

Wake wrote:

Insult fallacy. I am a Christian, Wake. No, I don't own it. Bulverism fallacy. False dichotomy fallacy.

Then you don't mind standing before your maker and trying to explain why you tried to slander science with your mindless hogwash. Have a good time in another sort of Desert.
14-02-2019 02:31
(3314)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Then you don't mind standing before your maker and trying to explain why you tried to slander science with your mindless hogwash. Have a good time in another sort of Desert.

The only one here who is "slandering science" is you, Wake... Inversion Fallacy.
14-02-2019 05:07
(21582)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Science is not a person, Wake. You can't slander it. Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

The Parrot Killer

14-02-2019 17:24
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Science is not a person, Wake. You can't slander it. Science is a set of falsifiable theories.
He says, slandering science yet again.
14-02-2019 22:20
(21582)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Not possible, Wake. Science is not a person.

The Parrot Killer

14-02-2019 22:48
(3314)
Wake wrote:

Science can't be slandered, Wake... Slander involves speaking damaging falsehoods about a person. Science is not a person.

Learn what Science is...
15-02-2019 20:49
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
gfm7175 wrote:
Wake wrote:

Science can't be slandered, Wake... Slander involves speaking damaging falsehoods about a person. Science is not a person.

Learn what Science is...

There now - don't you feel better for purposely changing the subject? Using a legal definition to claim a commonly used definition is incorrect makes you look not very interested in truth.
15-02-2019 22:38
(21582)
Wake wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Wake wrote:

Learn what Science is...

There now - don't you feel better for purposely changing the subject?

Inversion fallacy, Wake. YOU changed the subject. YOU were the first one to use the term 'slander' with a non-person object.
Wake wrote:
Using a legal definition to claim a commonly used definition
There is only one definition of 'slander', Wake. Now you are trying to redefine 'slander' in your efforts to deny the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 15-02-2019 22:38
27-01-2023 20:51
kent5915
☆☆☆☆☆
(11)
All gases absorb thermal radiation. It is part of a misguided science that says otherwise. This science is based upon what I have written about and call the infrared spectrometry blunder

If you look at one of those horrible greenhouse gas experiments where they shine a light with a strong infrared component on two bottles, one filled with CO2 and the other filled with air. You will see the bottle filled with CO2 heat up faster than the bottle with air. and fools then claim that this proves the greenhouse gas effect.

If you watch you will see that the air heats up at approx 66% of the rate that CO2 heats up.
strangely the foolish claim is that neither N2 or O2 heat up but air is 99% N2 and O2 so why would the air even heat up

The reality is that all gases heat up when exposed to infrared light (thermal radiation). This has been shown by Thomas Allmendinger (circa 2016) who shone infra light at all gases (including monatomic gases) and found that all gases heated up

The Reason that air (and N2 and O2 in allmendinger;s experiment) heat up is because photons pass their momentum onto the gas molecules. Triatomic CO2 is bigger than diatomic N2 and O2 so CO2 has a bigger scattering cross-section than either O2 or N2. Interestingly the 66% approximates the size ratio of diatomic vs triatomic gases

So i repeat the notion that N2 and O2 do not absorb infra thermal radiation is part of blunderous accepted science

I talk about this in various papers namely:

1) New thermodynamics: How man's energy use of energy influences climate change (Hadronic Journal Dec 2022)

2) New thermodynamics: Wave-particle duality in radiative heat transffer (Hadronic Journal 2021)

If you can use academia these papers are located:

https://independent.academia.edu/kentmayhew

Cheers Kent Mayhew
27-01-2023 21:19
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
kent5915 wrote:All gases absorb thermal radiation. It is part of a misguided science that says otherwise.

This is one thing that distinguishes this site from the vast bulk of others. We point out this error regularly. Well done.

kent5915 wrote:If you look at one of those horrible greenhouse gas experiments where they shine a light with a strong infrared component on two bottles, one filled with CO2 and the other filled with air. You will see the bottle filled with CO2 heat up faster than the bottle with air. and fools then claim that this proves the greenhouse gas effect.

On this site, we often refer to that little deception as "the standard parlor trick." It is not an experiment. It is a demonstration, and it simply demonstrates that CO2 has a higher absorptivity and radiativity (Kirchhoff's Law) of infrared wavelengths than oxygen or nitrogen.

Otherwise, you'll notice that the standard parlor trick is always performed in a darkened basement where no sunlight can get in and mess up the results. You'll wonder why they claim that the demonstration shows "greenhouse effect" when they never perform the demonstration outdoors in direct sunlight and normal atmospheric conditions.

28-01-2023 02:49
kent5915
☆☆☆☆☆
(11)
yes I understand the notion of parlour tricks.

Thomas Allmendinger's paper can be found on the net: reference: 9) Allmendinger, T. "Thermal Behaviour of Gases Under the Influence of Infrared Radiation" Int. J of Phys. Sci. Vol 11 (15) pg 183- 205 2016

He clearly shows that all gases absorb thermal radiation. I recommend you take care at looking at his Fig 25 and 26. Anyone when I saw that a few years back I realized that it is a case all gases absorb photon's momentum. If you prefer the momentum of a photon acting as a particle. and this will be a function of the gas molecule's scattering cross-section (molecules size or cross-sectional area) thus larger triatomic CO2 is impacted by more photons than diatomic N2 or O2 would be.

Not that both me and Thomas do not think much of the greenhouse effect as an explanation for climate change, But last time I talked with him he argued it is albedo change. Me I truly felt then as I do now that it is all about man's energy use

Back to absorption by gases

In the case of the false claim that N2 and O2 do not absorb thermal radiation it is based upon infrared spectrometry blunder. In infrared spectrometry one evacuates the spectrometer and then measures the blackbody radiation

Then inserts gas in question (study) and measures the spectrum and then subtracts the blackbody spectrum. This allows them to identify the gas as the spectrum one is left with is the spectrum related to the gas's lopsided charge distribution. This is photon's acting as waves

However the significantly larger spectrum was the blackbody spectrum. and this is about photons acting as particles, so the subtraction of the blackbody spectrum is the subtraction of the gas' thermal spectrum

When in a closed system (i.e. gas experiment) gas molecules receive blackbody radiation equally from all directions so there is no net noticeable effect

However if you shine a directional light on that gas then there is noticeable effect

One can further imagine that in the open atmosphere the Sun's rays are directional

I really do not think of the experiments as someone deliberating trying to deceive. It more of a case of the experimenter seeing what he/she wants to see and ignoring the rest

Once you realize that all polyatomic atm gases absorb thermal radiation, then one realizes that the whole atm is Earth's thermal blanket and you get back to man's energy use explaining climate change as stated in my paper

Cheers Kent
28-01-2023 03:43
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5710)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Yo you have any extra mushrooms for sale

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
28-01-2023 03:45
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5710)
IBdaMann wrote:
kent5915 wrote:All gases absorb thermal radiation. It is part of a misguided science that says otherwise.

This is one thing that distinguishes this site from the vast bulk of others. We point out this error regularly. Well done.

kent5915 wrote:If you look at one of those horrible greenhouse gas experiments where they shine a light with a strong infrared component on two bottles, one filled with CO2 and the other filled with air. You will see the bottle filled with CO2 heat up faster than the bottle with air. and fools then claim that this proves the greenhouse gas effect.

On this site, we often refer to that little deception as "the standard parlor trick." It is not an experiment. It is a demonstration, and it simply demonstrates that CO2 has a higher absorptivity and radiativity (Kirchhoff's Law) of infrared wavelengths than oxygen or nitrogen.

Otherwise, you'll notice that the standard parlor trick is always performed in a darkened basement where no sunlight can get in and mess up the results. You'll wonder why they claim that the demonstration shows "greenhouse effect" when they never perform the demonstration outdoors in direct sunlight and normal atmospheric conditions.

LOL and by we you mean you and your other personalities

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

28-01-2023 06:48
(21582)
kent5915 wrote:
All gases absorb thermal radiation.

There is no such thing as 'thermal radiation'.
kent5915 wrote:
It is part of a misguided science that says otherwise.

You are discarding science.
kent5915 wrote:
This science is based upon what I have written about and call the infrared spectrometry blunder

Buzzword fallacy.
kent5915 wrote:
If you look at one of those horrible greenhouse gas experiments where they shine a light with a strong infrared component on two bottles, one filled with CO2 and the other filled with air. You will see the bottle filled with CO2 heat up faster than the bottle with air. and fools then claim that this proves the greenhouse gas effect.

If you watch you will see that the air heats up at approx 66% of the rate that CO2 heats up.
strangely the foolish claim is that neither N2 or O2 heat up but air is 99% N2 and O2 so why would the air even heat up

Because of energy heating it. The presence of a gas is not energy.
kent5915 wrote:
The reality is that all gases heat up when exposed to infrared light (thermal radiation).

There is no such thing as 'thermal radiation'. Infrared light, when absorbed (if absorbed) converts to thermal energy.
kent5915 wrote:
This has been shown by Thomas Allmendinger (circa 2016) who shone infra light at all gases (including monatomic gases) and found that all gases heated up

The Reason that air (and N2 and O2 in allmendinger;s experiment) heat up is because photons pass their momentum onto the gas molecules. Triatomic CO2 is bigger than diatomic N2 and O2 so CO2 has a bigger scattering cross-section than either O2 or N2. Interestingly the 66% approximates the size ratio of diatomic vs triatomic gases

So i repeat the notion that N2 and O2 do not absorb infra thermal radiation is part of blunderous accepted science

Both N2 and O2 absorb infrared light.
kent5915 wrote:
I talk about this in various papers namely:

1) New thermodynamics: How man's energy use of energy influences climate change (Hadronic Journal Dec 2022)

2) New thermodynamics: Wave-particle duality in radiative heat transffer (Hadronic Journal 2021)

If you can use academia these papers are located:

https://independent.academia.edu/kentmayhew

Cheers Kent Mayhew

If so, your papers deny and discard science.
Your papers are not available.

The Parrot Killer

28-01-2023 06:50
(21582)
IBdaMann wrote:

They also don't show just how fast everything cools off once you turn off the lights either.

The Parrot Killer

28-01-2023 06:52
(21582)
kent5915 wrote:
yes I understand the notion of parlour tricks.

Thomas Allmendinger's paper can be found on the net: reference: 9) Allmendinger, T. "Thermal Behaviour of Gases Under the Influence of Infrared Radiation" Int. J of Phys. Sci. Vol 11 (15) pg 183- 205 2016

He clearly shows that all gases absorb thermal radiation. I recommend you take care at looking at his Fig 25 and 26. Anyone when I saw that a few years back I realized that it is a case all gases absorb photon's momentum. If you prefer the momentum of a photon acting as a particle. and this will be a function of the gas molecule's scattering cross-section (molecules size or cross-sectional area) thus larger triatomic CO2 is impacted by more photons than diatomic N2 or O2 would be.

Not that both me and Thomas do not think much of the greenhouse effect as an explanation for climate change, But last time I talked with him he argued it is albedo change. Me I truly felt then as I do now that it is all about man's energy use

Back to absorption by gases

In the case of the false claim that N2 and O2 do not absorb thermal radiation it is based upon infrared spectrometry blunder. In infrared spectrometry one evacuates the spectrometer and then measures the blackbody radiation

Then inserts gas in question (study) and measures the spectrum and then subtracts the blackbody spectrum. This allows them to identify the gas as the spectrum one is left with is the spectrum related to the gas's lopsided charge distribution. This is photon's acting as waves

However the significantly larger spectrum was the blackbody spectrum. and this is about photons acting as particles, so the subtraction of the blackbody spectrum is the subtraction of the gas' thermal spectrum

When in a closed system (i.e. gas experiment) gas molecules receive blackbody radiation equally from all directions so there is no net noticeable effect

However if you shine a directional light on that gas then there is noticeable effect

One can further imagine that in the open atmosphere the Sun's rays are directional

I really do not think of the experiments as someone deliberating trying to deceive. It more of a case of the experimenter seeing what he/she wants to see and ignoring the rest

Once you realize that all polyatomic atm gases absorb thermal radiation, then one realizes that the whole atm is Earth's thermal blanket and you get back to man's energy use explaining climate change as stated in my paper

Cheers Kent

Absorbing light does not make a 'thermal blanket'.
CO2 has better thermal conductivity then pretty any gas in the atmosphere.

You cannot trap heat.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy.
You are ignoring the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 28-01-2023 06:52
28-01-2023 06:53
(21582)
Swan wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

40a.

The Parrot Killer

28-01-2023 06:54
(21582)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

1d.

The Parrot Killer

28-01-2023 14:47
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5710)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

1d.

Must be sad having been ordered not to speak using words, nut then that is your life and you enjoy it

ULTRA MAGA

29-01-2023 21:14
kent5915
☆☆☆☆☆
(11)
into the night stated
Absorbing light does not make a 'thermal blanket'.
CO2 has better thermal conductivity then pretty any gas in the atmosphere.

You cannot trap heat.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy.
You are ignoring the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Atmosphere does trap heat. If it did not then our Earth's temperatures would like the moon's - too hot for life on the bright side of the moon and too cold for life on the dark side

Our atmospheric temperatures are not like the moons

This is because our atmosphere traps the heat radiating from Earth's surface plus the heat generated by mankind's use of energy

Does it trap all such heat . No but it traps enough to make a difference - e.g. keep us warm at night (sort of thing) - without this trapping our temperatures would start to approach temperature nearer absolute zero than we could bear

think of the nighttime sky - cloudy nights tend to be warmer than clear nights because the clouds increase the atmosphere's ability to trap heat

The reason we do not boil in the daylight, is our upper atmosphere absorbs most of our Sun's incident infrared radiation. This explains why the thermosphere is so darn hot. Our thermosphere is dilute (gases and charged particles) and is hundreds of km thick. In here infrared energy from our sun is absorbed and scattered

Below the thermosphere is the very cold mesosphere - cold cuz most of our sun's infrared has been absorbed

Below the mesosphere is the stratosphere - bit warmer than mesosphere

And below that is where we hang, the troposphere - the place where much/some of the energy radiating from Earth's surface and generated by man is held

Understand that photons energy/momentum can be absorbed by matter. Think of a solar sail being powered to fly through outer space by trapping the momentum of photons (from our Sun or from a laser pointed at them)

In order for a photon's energy/momentum to absorbed by a gas molecule the photon has to hit the molecule/atom. So there is a scattering cross section based upon the size of the gas molecule and the size of the photon,

We know that larger gas molecules do absorb more photons as demonstrated by those greenhouse gas experiments where triatomic CO2 molecules heat up faster than air [predominately (90%) diatomic N2 and O2]. Hence confirms scattering cross section of gas molecules play a role

What about scattering cross-sections of photons. The size of photons is still up for debate but one can assume that the longer the photon's wavelength, the bigger its scattering cross section

So one can assume that longer wavelength photons (generally infrared) will be absorbed more readily than shorter wavelength

What about visible light. it is said that 70% of our Sun's visible light makes it through our atmosphere to Earth's surface. Of this a percentage is reflected as color while the rest is absorbed becoming heat. This heat is eventually radiated as longer wavelength blackbody (whose peak is in the infrared). and it is this radiated heat that s absorbed by our atmosphere, thus keeping us from freezing at night. lucky us

Unfortunately the man on moon has no such luck. When it is dark on the moon he freezes his nuts off and turns blue
Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate Anyone explain how does N2 and O2 don't absorb electromagnetic radiation?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Van Allen radiation belts and the Tropopause506-01-2024 23:46
Man's energy use actually does explain climate change1809-02-2023 03:27
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
NET THERMAL RADIATION : You in a room as a reference.62230-01-2023 04:40
thermal radiation and EM radiation901-03-2020 23:36
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact