Remember me
▼ Content

could we slow co2 release in enviornment by engineering a virus to kill wood eating bacteria?

could we slow co2 release in enviornment by engineering a virus to kill wood eating bacteria?04-03-2019 17:26
codyblood
☆☆☆☆☆
(1)
Just watched a pbs eons and it mentioned that during the last period of excess co2 there weren't any wood eating bacteria and that that cooled the planet and increased o2. just wondering if anybody has thought of that and if it had any practicality. thanks.
04-03-2019 20:09
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(11753)
Sounds like this show was making things up.
08-02-2020 20:22
CzarnyZajaczek
☆☆☆☆☆
(23)
codyblood wrote:
Just watched a pbs eons and it mentioned that during the last period of excess co2 there weren't any wood eating bacteria and that that cooled the planet and increased o2. just wondering if anybody has thought of that and if it had any practicality. thanks.

This explains why current CO2 release from fossil fuels is dangerous, while millions of years ago it wasn't (plants with lack of wood eating bacteria and fungus sequestrated CO2 quite efficiently, currently it will not be sequestrated).

And virus killing wood eating bacteria isn't simple solution:
* there are also multiple fungi species which eat wood
* there is so large amount of these bacteria cells that this virus would have very high chance to evolve into anything-else killing virus before most of that wood eating bacteria is killed
* there will be no way to stop this virus once released into environment in large enough amounts to be able to stop decaying wood by bacteria, so it will either
** cause extinction of wood eating bacteria causing extreme environment and ecosystems change forever (this change is much worse than effects of global warming btw, since humans are expected to stop releasing CO2 when about 1000ppm is reached even in case on most dense deniers since this level starts to directly impair human health)
** or that bacteria will win gaining resistance to this virus, and this resistant mutant will quickly spread = in this case virus will be completely useless, of course even this cause maybe not catastrophic but still significant change in ecosystems (new mutated wood eating bacteria has significant chance of being incompatible with some species of currently living organisms in some ecosystems)
* there is high chance that fungi will efficiently take place of that bacteria (which is most probable scenario since dead wood is large source of energy for both aerobic and anaerobic living beings), in such case virus rendered useless (except of significant change in ecosystems, which we basically want to avoid)
* there is possibly many types of wood eating bacteria (wood=cellulose, so for bacteria to be wood-eating, bacteria basically needs just enzyme which breakdown cellulose, nearly all other things in this bacteria may differ so high chance that there isn't possible one virus which address all types of wood eating bacteria); if we try address by enzyme which breakdown cellulose there is risk that we unintentionally kill all herbivorous animals which rely on cellulose eating bacteria
* it may extremely negatively impact whole agriculture, preventing from soil formation

Btw millions of years ago coal etc. were formed by giant ferns which are already extinct, and current day forests seem to rely on wood eating bacteria and fungi to form soil, so this type of virus if succesfull would likely kill forests.

So while this idea may seem smart, personally I think that starting world-wide nuclear war is much more safe and smarter than trying to introduce such virus into ecosystems.
08-02-2020 20:51
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(6253)
codyblood wrote:

I watched that show as well. Then I hopped into my time machine and verifed that it was all true, which it was, of course. I checked every micrometer of the planet from depths of two meters to altitudes of 40 meters AGL, and I'll be damned; there wasn't a single wood-eating bacteria.

... and yes, my planet average temperature thermometer verified the cooling effect to the planet and isolated it to the lack of wood-eating bacteria.

I'm glad that show pointed me in the right direction.

Sea level varies from place to place in the world - keepit

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
09-02-2020 02:13
duncan61
★☆☆☆☆
(93)
why is 1000/1000000 harmful to humans
09-02-2020 03:59
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(6253)
duncan61 wrote: why is 1000/1000000 harmful to humans

It's not.

Did you know 800,000 ppm nitrogen isn't harmful to humans either?

Sea level varies from place to place in the world - keepit

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
09-02-2020 11:25
HarveyH55
★★★★☆
(1741)
1200 ppm CO2 is considered a safe indoor level, with no harmful effects. Check with OSHA or CDC, their websites will go into great detail.

Don't termites have wood eating bacteria in their digestive system? Bacteria is part of a healthy ecosystem, it called recycling. Every living thing takes resources from the environment. When they die, bacteria rot and decay, returning those nutrients to the soil, to start it all over again, in other living things. There are other things, that help break things down, besides bacteria. They targeted the bacteria, because one of their byproducts, is 'evil' CO2, which of course, essential to plant growth, and well generally all carbon-based life forms. Seems odd to me, how few of the genius, expert, climate 'scientists', miss the point that CO2, is where every living thing on this planet, gets their carbon, to make the magic happen, we call life. Plants are the only thing that extracts carbon from the environment, for everything else to consume. More CO2, is good for plants, and good for all life on the planet. Two degrees warming, isn't going to kill us. I grew up on a snow capped mountain, year round skiing. Cold, wet, and miserable most of the year. Moved to Florida over 30 years ago, and survived just fine. Even our worst heat wave, wasn't that bad, and that was way more than two degrees warmer.
09-02-2020 22:31
James___
★★★★★
(2415)
HarveyH55 wrote:
1200 ppm CO2 is considered a safe indoor level, with no harmful effects. Check with OSHA or CDC, their websites will go into great detail.

Don't termites have wood eating bacteria in their digestive system? Bacteria is part of a healthy ecosystem, it called recycling. Every living thing takes resources from the environment. When they die, bacteria rot and decay, returning those nutrients to the soil, to start it all over again, in other living things. There are other things, that help break things down, besides bacteria. They targeted the bacteria, because one of their byproducts, is 'evil' CO2, which of course, essential to plant growth, and well generally all carbon-based life forms. Seems odd to me, how few of the genius, expert, climate 'scientists', miss the point that CO2, is where every living thing on this planet, gets their carbon, to make the magic happen, we call life. Plants are the only thing that extracts carbon from the environment, for everything else to consume. More CO2, is good for plants, and good for all life on the planet. Two degrees warming, isn't going to kill us. I grew up on a snow capped mountain, year round skiing. Cold, wet, and miserable most of the year. Moved to Florida over 30 years ago, and survived just fine. Even our worst heat wave, wasn't that bad, and that was way more than two degrees warmer.

Umm, people can start feeling the effects of CO2 when levels reach 1,000 ppm.

People shouldn't be drowsy at work. It hurts productivity and increases the likelihood of an accident.
https://www.kane.co.uk/knowledge-centre/what-are-safe-levels-of-co-and-co2-in-rooms
10-02-2020 01:42
HarveyH55
★★★★☆
(1741)
I live and work in the United States of America, and OSHA sets the safety standards, which is 1200 ppm. Maybe they are using that messed metric system crap, or something over in the UK.

Join the debate could we slow co2 release in enviornment by engineering a virus to kill wood eating bacteria?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Prevention of Climate Change Through CO2 Removal2328-03-2020 22:32
International Organization Governments Are Using Wrong Strategy & Handling The Corona Virus Outbreak 117-03-2020 03:17
Do I have the CO2 calamity math right? (help from an expert please)23024-02-2020 23:13
Co2A (Co2 Atmosphere) = SUM(SOURCES)-SUM(SINKS)913-02-2020 18:05
CO2 Behavior in the Atmosphere2412-02-2020 03:53
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact