Remember me
▼ Content

Thwaites glacier

Thwaites glacier07-06-2021 04:32
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
I have decided to return as I can.Watched an interesting show on the Thwaites Glacier which has raised a few questions.The first time any human has been there is 2020.A picture shows a scout team of 4 standing on the edge.A camp was set up and the science team moved in.A hole was drilled 600 metres down through the ice till they hit sea water and a temperature was taken and it was 2.C.Now this is the peak of summer and the first time this has ever been done but guess what we are all going to die.My questions are this as we have never measured the temperature before how can we know what it should be?If the atlantic meridional overturning circulation takes over a thousand years why have we not got 950 years to go?I made a Vodka and orange drink on Saturday afternoon and lost interest in drinking it and put it in the fridge at 4.0C and Sunday afternoon I drank it and the ice was still there and had not melted.If the sea temperature is 2C and the ice on top is -50 Cit is not going to melt real fast.What happens is it snows on the glacier which turns to ice then the weight and gravity push the glacier down the hill its parked on.Simple stuff

duncan61
07-06-2021 07:21
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14448)

duncan61 wrote:What happens is it snows on the glacier which turns to ice then the weight and gravity push the glacier down the hill its parked on.Simple stuff

But the weight and gravity compresses the thermal energy and creates a thermal enhancement and melts it all right away, right?

07-06-2021 07:39
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Welcome back... I still don't get the whole save the ice thing. Ice melts, no big deal, since there will be new ice in the winter. Not real sure that glaciers perform some vital function, other than as a sign the end is near.
07-06-2021 07:43
(14448)

duncan61 wrote:Watched an interesting show on the Thwaites Glacier which has raised a few questions.

Duncan, what is there to discuss about the Thwaites glacier? Does this glacier have magical super powers or something that other glaciers don't have?

07-06-2021 08:27
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Antarctica's 'Doomsday Glacier' close to tipping point, unmanned sub reveals
By Ben Turner - Staff Writer April 15, 2021

The glacier could be melting at the key points anchoring it to the land.

There is a long article on how the Thwaites Glacier is melting and we are all going to die again
Something I am curious about is how is the oceans supposed to be warming.The Atmosphere can not warm the sea and the direct sunlight has not changed
IBDM I see you are still hung up on the jolly old ATE.I have shared this effect with a few people recently and it all makes very simple sense I will try one more time.
.There is an Atmosphere
.There is gravity
.There is an Atmosperic thermal effect.With no Atmosphere we would boil during the day and freeze at night.Simple stuff
07-06-2021 08:41
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Your American Government paid 50 Million to build a custom plane from some sort of 4 engine turbo prop that looks like a military style plane and fitted skids to it and sent all these bodies to study the Glacier.You only get a 4-6 week window to go there and it is remote as all F£$k.There are a group of people who are determined to prove were all F%^&*d.They have given up on The Arctic as it just refuses to melt away like it is supposed to so lets spend a pile of money down the other end
07-06-2021 15:37
(14448)

duncan61 wrote:There are a group of people who are determined to prove were all F%^&*d.They have given up on The Arctic as it just refuses to melt away like it is supposed to so lets spend a pile of money down the other end

From what I can determine, we are supposed to PANIC because there is so much ice growth. We are supposed to worry about the sheer amount of observable Climate Change, right?

07-06-2021 15:37
(14448)

duncan61 wrote:There are a group of people who are determined to prove were all F%^&*d.They have given up on The Arctic as it just refuses to melt away like it is supposed to so lets spend a pile of money down the other end

From what I can determine, we are supposed to PANIC because there is so much ice growth. We are supposed to worry about the sheer amount of observable Climate Change, right?

07-06-2021 18:49
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Welcome back... I still don't get the whole save the ice thing. Ice melts, no big deal, since there will be new ice in the winter. Not real sure that glaciers perform some vital function, other than as a sign the end is near.

It's almost as if these people cherry pick the "melting" instances and ignore (or otherwise dismiss) the "freezing" instances.

07-06-2021 21:44
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21624)
gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

It's almost as if these people cherry pick the "melting" instances and ignore (or otherwise dismiss) the "freezing" instances.

Yup. Every season it's the same thing. It's if the idea of seasons was foreign to them.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
08-06-2021 03:10
(14448)

gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What I find strange is that in this case the issue is not that ice is melting but rather the opposite. Yes, the Thwaites glacier is a concern because there is way too much ice growing. Can you believe it?

Global Warming is causing the Thwaites glacier to have astronomially way too much ice. You just know the Climate schytt is about to hit the fan.

Yes, we are supposed to freak out ... because a glacier has a lot of ice.

08-06-2021 16:48
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What I find strange is that in this case the issue is not that ice is melting but rather the opposite. Yes, the Thwaites glacier is a concern because there is way too much ice growing. Can you believe it?

Global Warming is causing the Thwaites glacier to have astronomially way too much ice. You just know the Climate schytt is about to hit the fan.

Yes, we are supposed to freak out ... because a glacier has a lot of ice.

Wow... so it's a bad thing when "too much" ice melts, but now it's also a bad thing if "too much" ice forms? Jeeze... WTH is the ice content "supposed to be" according to these twits...?

I'm glad to not be living my life in such a constant state of fear.

08-06-2021 18:32
(14448)

gfm7175 wrote:Wow... so it's a bad thing when "too much" ice melts, but now it's also a bad thing if "too much" ice forms? Jeeze... WTH is the ice content "supposed to be" according to these twits...?

Just to be clear, I really don't know what the exact danger is because, as we both know, nothing is happening worth writing home about. All that matters is that we are expected to panic and fear. The details are irrelevant.

All the fear-mongers refer to the glacier's imminent "collapse." What is that supposed to mean? Never has a glacier collapsed. Glaciers don't collapse. They are born, they grow, they flow, they decline and they disappear ... all over a long period of time. However, all I can glean from perusing warmizombie paraphernalia is that this catastrophic collapse at Thwaites could have alarming effects on sea level rise worldwide.

On this exact point, I read this:
"Of course, there are challenges that come with studying unstable ice at the bottom of the world, and sometimes you must address them by blowing up things in Texas."

I can find no explanation of "unstable ice." What does that mean?

I can find no explanation of any relationship to Antarctic ice and Texas.

What (I merely believe is what) is being described is just one of the many geothermal vents deep under Antarctic ice that, believe it or not, melts the ice above and creates a big hole at the bottom of the ice. So, yes, there is ice that is melting. Yes, that hole can be the size of Manhattan. Yes, it still has a lot of ice atop that won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Nonetheless, the Thwaites glacier has now been dubbed "The Doomsday Glacier." Doomsday. I think we're supposed to panic. The end of days is upon us. I just can't figure out how the world is going to somehow end except that this glacier will cause the ocean to rise and swallow us up ... I think.

I would be remiss to not mention this item:

"Researchers at Sweden's University of Gothenburg are now saying that fears related to Thwaites's melting are worse than previously thought, owing to the supply of warm water flowing underneath at a rate underestimated in the past.

So a previous math error is why fears are worse ... not that they are justified, just that they are worse.

I would be remiss to omit the following items from another key warmizombie newsletter:

"The 21st century serves as an inflection point of acceleration of climate instability caused by human-generated greenhouse gases, as CO2 emissions increase well beyond the rate of the prior century.

Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier (100 miles across by 4,000 feet deep), aka: The Doomsday Glacier, labeled "A Climate Time Bomb" by research scientists is an ice shelf in West Antarctica that's nestled next door to the equally notorious Pine Island Glacier.

A new discovery at Thwaites is bone-chilling and nearly impossible to fathom. Thwaites is melting at key points that anchor it to land. The consequences of total release would be/will likely be earth-shattering as, and when, the 74,000 square mile ice block breaks lose, but even more earth-shattering yet, it could take down the entire West Antarctica Ice Sheet. That's 10+ feet of sea level rise!"

So the amazing growth of the Thwaites glacier is what makes it such a threat because it is so vast that when it all melts next week, really bad math indicates that we are all doomed.

Correct me if I am somehow mistaken but I am pretty sure that gravity is what "anchors" Antarctic ice to the land, and I don't think gravity is going away anytime soon.

I'm not going to pretend to know what they are implying. It's all gibber-babble.

08-06-2021 21:41
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:Wow... so it's a bad thing when "too much" ice melts, but now it's also a bad thing if "too much" ice forms? Jeeze... WTH is the ice content "supposed to be" according to these twits...?

Just to be clear, I really don't know what the exact danger is because, as we both know, nothing is happening worth writing home about. All that matters is that we are expected to panic and fear. The details are irrelevant.

All the fear-mongers refer to the glacier's imminent "collapse." What is that supposed to mean? Never has a glacier collapsed. Glaciers don't collapse. They are born, they grow, they flow, they decline and they disappear ... all over a long period of time. However, all I can glean from perusing warmizombie paraphernalia is that this catastrophic collapse at Thwaites could have alarming effects on sea level rise worldwide.

On this exact point, I read this:
"Of course, there are challenges that come with studying unstable ice at the bottom of the world, and sometimes you must address them by blowing up things in Texas."

I can find no explanation of "unstable ice." What does that mean?

I can find no explanation of any relationship to Antarctic ice and Texas.

What (I merely believe is what) is being described is just one of the many geothermal vents deep under Antarctic ice that, believe it or not, melts the ice above and creates a big hole at the bottom of the ice. So, yes, there is ice that is melting. Yes, that hole can be the size of Manhattan. Yes, it still has a lot of ice atop that won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Nonetheless, the Thwaites glacier has now been dubbed "The Doomsday Glacier." Doomsday. I think we're supposed to panic. The end of days is upon us. I just can't figure out how the world is going to somehow end except that this glacier will cause the ocean to rise and swallow us up ... I think.

I would be remiss to not mention this item:

"Researchers at Sweden's University of Gothenburg are now saying that fears related to Thwaites's melting are worse than previously thought, owing to the supply of warm water flowing underneath at a rate underestimated in the past.

So a previous math error is why fears are worse ... not that they are justified, just that they are worse.

I would be remiss to omit the following items from another key warmizombie newsletter:

"The 21st century serves as an inflection point of acceleration of climate instability caused by human-generated greenhouse gases, as CO2 emissions increase well beyond the rate of the prior century.

Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier (100 miles across by 4,000 feet deep), aka: The Doomsday Glacier, labeled "A Climate Time Bomb" by research scientists is an ice shelf in West Antarctica that's nestled next door to the equally notorious Pine Island Glacier.

A new discovery at Thwaites is bone-chilling and nearly impossible to fathom. Thwaites is melting at key points that anchor it to land. The consequences of total release would be/will likely be earth-shattering as, and when, the 74,000 square mile ice block breaks lose, but even more earth-shattering yet, it could take down the entire West Antarctica Ice Sheet. That's 10+ feet of sea level rise!"

So the amazing growth of the Thwaites glacier is what makes it such a threat because it is so vast that when it all melts next week, really bad math indicates that we are all doomed.

Correct me if I am somehow mistaken but I am pretty sure that gravity is what "anchors" Antarctic ice to the land, and I don't think gravity is going away anytime soon.

I'm not going to pretend to know what they are implying. It's all gibber-babble.

Sounds about right... I just know that they want me to be afraid and I don't see any good reason to be afraid... I likewise really don't care about the details (especially when it's based on gibberish).
08-06-2021 23:13
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21624)
IBdaMann wrote:
All the fear-mongers refer to the glacier's imminent "collapse." What is that supposed to mean? Never has a glacier collapsed. Glaciers don't collapse.

Glaciers 'collapse' the same way any river does. It doesn't.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
09-06-2021 02:33
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
The new terminology covers all bases."ITS MELTING 6 TIMES FASTER THAN IN 1960"As we have no idea of the melt rate in 1960 its 6x0 which is zero.A lot of people believe its all true and use it in conversations.
09-06-2021 15:59
(14448)

duncan61 wrote:The new terminology covers all bases."ITS MELTING 6 TIMES FASTER THAN IN 1960"As we have no idea of the melt rate in 1960 its 6x0 which is zero.A lot of people believe its all true and use it in conversations.

My problem is figuring out how the Thwaites glacier managed to grow so large and increase so much in ice mass all the while it was melting 6-times faster than in the 1960s.

The Thwaites glacier is the ominous threat that it is simply because of its sheer magnitude/size, having grown at an accelerated rate over the past few decades. How did this happen if it was actually melting so amazingly fast?

... or is it, as you say, the case that there is no melting (6 x 0 = 0) and that there is really no threat of any kind?

12-06-2021 07:00
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

duncan61 wrote:The new terminology covers all bases."ITS MELTING 6 TIMES FASTER THAN IN 1960"As we have no idea of the melt rate in 1960 its 6x0 which is zero.A lot of people believe its all true and use it in conversations.

My problem is figuring out how the Thwaites glacier managed to grow so large and increase so much in ice mass all the while it was melting 6-times faster than in the 1960s.

The Thwaites glacier is the ominous threat that it is simply because of its sheer magnitude/size, having grown at an accelerated rate over the past few decades. How did this happen if it was actually melting so amazingly fast?

... or is it, as you say, the case that there is no melting (6 x 0 = 0) and that there is really no threat of any kind?

Quit sounding like a Republican. This might be the daily double of climate change. The ozone hole might've caused it to cool. This means it gains more mass. And more mass might be allowing for the increased geologic activity under it. Or simply put, more ice might've caused the tectonic plate it sits on to subside. Rather basic if you ask me.
Earthquakes around South America, 1980 -1990.
12-06-2021 07:03
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Earthquakes around South America over the last 10 years. These all are 6.0 magnitude or greater. Thwaites Glacier is almost due south of South America. It's slightly off to the left. These earthquakes represent an increase in tectonic plate activity.
You need to consider geoscience at some point IBDM. Demanding someone supply you with answers is reminiscent of the Bolsheviks in 1917. Just sayin'.
12-06-2021 07:40
(14448)

James___ wrote:Quit sounding like a Republican.

The Republican Party had died. Didn't you get the memo?

James___ wrote:This might be the daily double of climate change.

Alex Trebek (from the grave): It's time for the DAILY DOUBLE!
IBDaMann: I'll take Climate Change for $500, Alex.
Alex Trebek: It might have flown through the Ozone Hole and gained more mass by cooling, allowing for increased geological activity beneath the supporting tectonic plate as amplified by the Van Allen belt.
IBDaMann: What is the Norwegian Jet Stream?
Alex Trebek: That is correct!
IBDaMann: It's pretty basic, Alex. It's all right there in Almanac of South American Seismic Trivia.

James__, you hit the nail on the head on that one. Good call.

12-06-2021 08:43
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
-73 °C. Fog. (Weather station: Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica).Lots of melting going on today boys
12-06-2021 09:48
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Past Weather in South Pole — Graph
°C
See Hour-by-hour Forecast for upcoming weather
TimeWind
(km/h)Temp
(°C)-75-72-69-66-63-60-57-54-51-48-45-42
Fri, 28 MayLo:-6012 pmHi:-577Lo:-606 pmHi:-516Sat, 29 MayLo:-5712 amHi:-473Lo:-516 amHi:-475Lo:-4812 pmHi:-438Lo:-486 pmHi:-4316Sun, 30 MayLo:-5512 amHi:-4319Lo:-606 amHi:-4820Lo:-6112 pmHi:-5516Lo:-656 pmHi:-6014Mon, 31 MayLo:-6712 amHi:-6112Lo:-676 amHi:-6512Lo:-6912 pmHi:-6712Lo:-696 pmHi:-6710Tue, 1 JunLo:-6912 amHi:-638Lo:-686 amHi:-629Lo:-6712 pmHi:-6212Lo:-686 pmHi:-6216Wed, 2 JunLo:-6912 amHi:-6716Lo:-716 amHi:-6812Lo:-7112 pmHi:-698Lo:-716 pmHi:-687Thu, 3 JunLo:-7012 amHi:-6710Lo:-686 amHi:-6712Lo:-6812 pmHi:-6713Lo:-696 pmHi:-6815Fri, 4 JunLo:-6912 amHi:-6816Lo:-716 amHi:-6917Lo:-7212 pmHi:-6915Lo:-726 pmHi:-7115Sat, 5 JunLo:-7212 amHi:-7014Lo:-726 amHi:-7012Lo:-7012 pmHi:-6811Lo:-706 pmHi:-638Sun, 6 JunLo:-6812 amHi:-617Lo:-636 amHi:-616Lo:-6112 pmHi:-607Lo:-616 pmHi:-606Mon, 7 JunLo:-6712 amHi:-607Lo:-676 amHi:-607Lo:-6812 pmHi:-669Lo:-686 pmHi:-6611Tue, 8 JunLo:-6812 amHi:-6514Lo:-676 amHi:-6515Lo:-6712 pmHi:-6514Lo:-696 pmHi:-6515Wed, 9 JunLo:-7212 amHi:-6714Lo:-736 amHi:-6915Lo:-7312 pmHi:-7212Lo:-736 pmHi:-7112Thu, 10 JunLo:-7212 amHi:-7110Lo:-726 amHi:-7114Lo:-7212 pmHi:-7213Lo:-726 pmHi:-7212Fri, 11 JunLo:-7212 amHi:-659Lo:-656 amHi:-659Lo:-6512 pmHi:-6310Lo:-676 pmHi:-639Sat, 12 JunLo:-7112 amHi:-639Lo:-736 amHi:-676Lo:-7312 pmHi:-716
Tuesday, 8 June 2021, 12:00 am — 6:00 am
-65 / -68 °C
Snow flurries. Sunny.
Humidity:0%
Barometer:0 mbar
ESE
Wind:14 km/h
Fri, 28 MaySat, 29 MaySun, 30 MayMon, 31 MayTue, 1 JunWed, 2 JunThu, 3 JunFri, 4 JunSat, 5 JunSun, 6 JunMon, 7 JunTue, 8 JunWed, 9 JunThu, 10 JunFri, 11 JunSat, 12 Jun
See weather overview

South Pole Temperature Yesterday
Maximum temperature yesterday: -63 °C (at 6:00 pm)
Minimum temperature yesterday: -65 °C (at 12:00 pm)
Average temperature yesterday: -64 °C

High & Low Weather Summary for the Past Weeks
Temperature Humidity Pressure
High -43 °C (29 May, 6:00 pm) N/A N/A
Low -73 °C (12 Jun, 12:00 pm) N/A N/A
Average -65 °C N/A N/A
* Reported 28 May 12:00 pm — 12 Jun 12:00 pm, South Pole. Weather by CustomWeather, © 2021
Note: Actual official high and low records may vary slightly from our data, if they occured in-between our weather recording intervals... More about our weather records

South Pole Weather History for the Previous 24 Hours
Show weather for:
Previous 24 hours
Conditions Comfort
Time Temp Weather Wind Humidity Barometer Visibility
12:00 pm
Sat, 12 Jun Fog. -73 °C Fog. 4 km/h ↑ N/A N/A 8 km
6:00 am Snow flurries. Passing clouds. -71 °C Snow flurries. Passing clouds. 7 km/h ↑ N/A N/A 8 km
12:00 am Snow flurries. Scattered clouds. -67 °C Snow flurries. Scattered clouds. 6 km/h ↑ N/A N/A 3 km
6:00 pm
Fri, 11 Jun Snow flurries. Partly sunny. -63 °C Snow flurries. Partly sunny. 13 km/h ↑ N/A N/A 5 km
Weather by CustomWeather, © 2021
12 Jun11 Jun10 Jun9 Jun8 Jun7 Jun6 Jun5 Jun4 Jun3 Jun2 Jun1 Jun31 May30 May29 May28 May

Join the debate Thwaites glacier:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
FASTER GLACIER MELTING MECHANISM COULD CAUSE HUGE SEA LEVEL RISES420-05-2023 19:54
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact