Remember me
▼ Content

Satellite Measurements-- Sea Level Rise

Page 2 of 2<12
16-08-2022 11:47
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Roj475. May I suggest you research how NASA claim to know sea levels with satellites and then tell me if it is possible to get it right to a millimetre
16-08-2022 12:30
Roj475
★☆☆☆☆
(69)
IBdaMann wrote:
You are intolerant of any differing views/opinions. Ask me how I know.

You lump all differing views together as the same view. Ask me how I know.

You are a gullible moron. Ask me how I know.

I have not given my viewpoint at any point in my posts... Feel free to direct me to where I have.

You and another poster have made your positions and I am confused... Which one is correct to prevent me being gullible please.

Either you are correct...., or the other poster is correct. I do not know, that is directed to you.
16-08-2022 12:32
Roj475
★☆☆☆☆
(69)
duncan61 wrote:
Roj475. May I suggest you research how NASA claim to know sea levels with satellites and then tell me if it is possible to get it right to a millimetre

I have tried but I am unable to locate the source you are referring to.

Where do I find this claim you know information about, my life would be easier if I responded to the same source you used.
16-08-2022 13:15
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Its on NASA website.They claim to park a boat over a known depth and measure it with a transducer then a satellite sends a beam to the deck of the boat and then they work it out.The satellite could be between 9000-10,000 kms away which would affect the time and the deck could be moving.GPS satellites are calibrated to plus minus 100ft which is why sometimes it will tell you to do a U-turn and you are parked where you need to be.At the risk of being cynical if scientists set out to get a result they will get a result.Our CSIRO and BOM have been busted many times fudging numbers.Recently our BOM (Bureau of Meteorology) adjusted all the Alpine thermometers to not record below -10 yet it was -13.7 for a month at Thredbo.Thats 3.7 degrees gone for a month.In 20 years if I am still alive the question will be asked.Where is this apocalyptic warming?
16-08-2022 16:10
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
duncan61 wrote:Its on NASA website.They claim to park a boat over a known depth

duncan, do they stop the waves for the measuring?

Did they stop the waves for the establishment of the "known depth"?

If the depth has already been established, why bring in a satellite? What does that add? Are they trying to figure out the altitude of the satellite?

When did NASA begin concerning themselves with the ocean? Are they branching out into snorkeling, scuba diving and deep-sea diving? I thought that was the domain of the Navy Research Labs? Did NASA pull a coup d'état?

Consider me as calling a measure of boooooolsch't.

duncan61 wrote: and measure it with a transducer then a satellite sends a beam to the deck of the boat and then they work it out.

Waves impose the exact same problem in this scenario.

There is no certainty of the sea level in an absolute sense, only in a relative sense.

duncan61 wrote: I am still alive the question will be asked.Where is this apocalyptic warming?

I believe the apocalyptic warming is:
1. real
2. in its nascent stages and growing
3. centered around my stove

I've seen it. I have heated frying pans with it that I will not rest on my head. I am convinced.

16-08-2022 19:10
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
You are welcome to visit my world if you like. I am pursuing an experiment so
I can explain what the IPCC doesn't. As for myself, I don't need to be serious all of the time. Sometimes it's fun to mess with ITN.
An example is whe he said it's useless to compare summer and winter. This tells me that he's never been skiing at Stevens Pass or at Snoqualmie Pass. The difference between the two is that Stevens Pass has steeper runs while Snoqualmie Pass is more for the recreational skier.
Of course in summer instead of skiing there is hiking and mountain bike riding. So it is important to know the difference between the seasons. Even in summer the Cascades can have deep snow at elevation so it helps to know the difference between things.
As for the website, I own it.
http://climate-cycling.com/

Roj475 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James_ wrote:
The next one is a pretty graph.

It is not possible to measure the global atmospheric CO2 content.

Swan says it is rising and turning desert green...

Swan wrote:
Not possible because in reality the rise in CO2 is causing greening of desert area's as we speak.

You guys need to get your story straight on which one will be more believable in your world.

Edited on 16-08-2022 19:11
16-08-2022 19:19
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
James_ wrote:
I can explain what the IPCC doesn't. As for myself, I don't need to be serious all of the time. Sometimes it's fun to mess with ITN.
An example is whe he said it's useless to compare summer and winter. This tells me that he's never been skiing at Stevens Pass or at Snoqualmie Pass. The difference between the two is that Stevens Pass has steeper runs while Snoqualmie Pass is more for the recreational skier.
Of course in summer instead of skiing there is hiking and mountain bike riding. So it is important to know the difference between the seasons. Even in summer the Cascades can have deep snow at elevation so it helps to know the difference between things.

James you are rambling all over the place. Are you sure you're not just an AI bot with a horrible programmer?

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
Attached image:

16-08-2022 21:15
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
And yet as a patriotic American you deny that George Washington waited for the Delaware river to thaw. He and his army had to wait until Christmas. It hadn't frozen solid enough to cross it on foot and they couldn't break the ice with boats because that would be too slow.
You deny American history while claiming to be a patriotic American. That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Do you hate America that much?
Have you ever noticed that Christians do not associate the most famous military campaign of the Revolutionary War with Christmas and the birth of America? And as it turned out because it was much colder in that century that this one the break in the weather happened just in time for a Christmas crossing.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/washington-crosses-the-delaware

GasGuzzler wrote:
James_ wrote:

Matthew 12:11; He said to them, "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out?

If only America were a Christian country.

James you are rambling all over the place. Are you sure you're not just an AI bot with a horrible programmer?

Edited on 16-08-2022 21:53
16-08-2022 21:24
(14414)
GasGuzzler wrote:Are you sure you're not just an AI bot with a horrible programmer?

... or worse ...

Attached image:

17-08-2022 05:38
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
Roj475 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
You are intolerant of any differing views/opinions. Ask me how I know.

You lump all differing views together as the same view. Ask me how I know.

You are a gullible moron. Ask me how I know.

I have not given my viewpoint at any point in my posts... Feel free to direct me to where I have.

Lie. You are even making your viewpoint heard right here in this post.
Roj475 wrote:
You and another poster have made your positions and I am confused... Which one is correct to prevent me being gullible please.

Either you are correct...., or the other poster is correct. I do not know, that is directed to you.

Word games.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
17-08-2022 05:39
(21599)
Roj475 wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

I have tried but I am unable to locate the source you are referring to.

He is not using a source.
Roj475 wrote:
Where do I find this claim you know information about, my life would be easier if I responded to the same source you used.

He is not using a source.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
17-08-2022 05:46
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Are you sure you're not just an AI bot with a horrible programmer?

... or worse ...

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! Took me all damn day but I finally figured out the BRM. Nice.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
17-08-2022 05:58
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2935)
Roj475 wrote:

OK, will do. You just couldn't help yourself. You were so careful yet you slipped up right here....

Roj475 wrote:
Additional plant food is good but only if there are sufficient plants to feed on it.

This would be your viewpoint and gullibility on full display.

Edited on 17-08-2022 06:25
17-08-2022 10:20
Roj475
★☆☆☆☆
(69)
Into the Night wrote:

I don;t know my viewpoint... You will have to help me on that one.

At no point have I said which camp I am in...

unless asking for some help to understand your position is a problem, I don;t know...

It is late, I need some sleep so maybe I am missing things I wrote?

Roj475 wrote:

Word games.

Are you correct or is the other poster correct?

It is a simple question.
17-08-2022 10:20
Roj475
★☆☆☆☆
(69)
Into the Night wrote:

unless asking for some help to understand your position is a problem, I don;t know...

Roj475 wrote:

Word games.

It is a simple question.
17-08-2022 11:33
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
duncan61 wrote:
Its on NASA website.They claim to park a boat over a known depth and measure it with a transducer then a satellite sends a beam to the deck of the boat and then they work it out.The satellite could be between 9000-10,000 kms away which would affect the time and the deck could be moving.GPS satellites are calibrated to plus minus 100ft which is why sometimes it will tell you to do a U-turn and you are parked where you need to be.At the risk of being cynical if scientists set out to get a result they will get a result.Our CSIRO and BOM have been busted many times fudging numbers.Recently our BOM (Bureau of Meteorology) adjusted all the Alpine thermometers to not record below -10 yet it was -13.7 for a month at Thredbo.Thats 3.7 degrees gone for a month.In 20 years if I am still alive the question will be asked.Where is this apocalyptic warming?

NASA uses radiowaves. They do not park a boat somewhere. This is from the European Space Agency, satellites use radar to bounce a signal off of the surface of the water.
https://www.esa.int/Applications/Observing_the_Earth/Copernicus/Sentinel-6/New_Copernicus_satellite_to_monitor_sea-level_rise_launched
17-08-2022 16:56
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
With measuring sea levels, there are ways to verify accuracy. Do you know where an oil platform is at sea? Those are usually mounted on the seafloor itself. If they move then there could be a serious oil spill.
Since they have those around the world they could bounce a signal of the top to verify a satellites calibration. And with mean sea level they use tubes in the water that rise above its surface. This allows for waves to roll past in one direction and then back out if near shore.
This allows for a consistent level of water to be monitored. Then the difference between peak high and low tide is measured. The average is the "mean" tide. And then when a satellite determines sea level at that location, they can verify it with physical measurements.
18-08-2022 00:03
(21599)
Roj475 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Roj475 wrote:

Word games.

It is a simple question.

Void question. Not answerable. Try being more specific.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 18-08-2022 00:04
18-08-2022 00:05
(21599)
James_ wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

NASA uses radiowaves. They do not park a boat somewhere. This is from the European Space Agency, satellites use radar to bounce a signal off of the surface of the water.
https://www.esa.int/Applications/Observing_the_Earth/Copernicus/Sentinel-6/New_Copernicus_satellite_to_monitor_sea-level_rise_launched

And how high does the satellite deem to recon itself at any given time?
Where is the zero reference?

The Parrot Killer

21-08-2022 04:19
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
Into the Night wrote:

It's too easy to use stations around the world that monitor sea level. Satellites really aren't necessary. They have shown large waves that are over 300 miles long.
I mean when the oceans shift because of the Moon would you expect a small effect? Just is a lot of water that's being moved.
21-08-2022 17:59
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
James_ wrote:
And yet as a patriotic American you deny that George Washington waited for the Delaware river to thaw. He and his army had to wait until Christmas. It hadn't frozen solid enough to cross it on foot and they couldn't break the ice with boats because that would be too slow.
You deny American history while claiming to be a patriotic American. That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Do you hate America that much?
Have you ever noticed that Christians do not associate the most famous military campaign of the Revolutionary War with Christmas and the birth of America? And as it turned out because it was much colder in that century that this one the break in the weather happened just in time for a Christmas crossing.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/washington-crosses-the-delaware

GasGuzzler wrote:
James_ wrote:

Matthew 12:11; He said to them, "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out?

If only America were a Christian country.

Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus, which happened a long time before the British, or America. Everything that happened on Christmas since the birth of Jesus, is pretty insignificant, compared.

God gave you life. He gave you free-will. He never gave you any guarantee, that you should have a 'good' life, or entitled to everything you desire. That's where free-will kicks in. You make choices, do the work, and get rewarded. When you fail, you learn, stop crying like a little girl, get up, and try something different, hoping for better results.

Speech patterns are learned, not genetic. If you perceive your communication deficiencies, are linked to the way you speak, learn to do it differently. Your service related hearing loss can be compensated for, with the proper hearing-aid. There is a lot more to it than an amplifier. It's not just shoving a device in your ear, and you get perfect hearing either. You may need a specialist, therapy, to get you to a more functional level, than you keep complaining about. If you had lost a leg, do you think all they had to do, is to slap a prosthetic on, and you are ready to run a marathon? Takes months to learn to walk, without a crutch or cane, and not fall down, much. You don't get back what you lost. But, you can be taught to make use of what you still have.
22-08-2022 08:12
(21599)
James_ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

It's too easy to use stations around the world that monitor sea level.

No station can measure global sea level.
James_ wrote:
Satellites really aren't necessary.

No satellite can measure it either.
James_ wrote:
They have shown large waves that are over 300 miles long.
I mean when the oceans shift because of the Moon would you expect a small effect? Just is a lot of water that's being moved.

No sea level.

The Parrot Killer

22-08-2022 09:12
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)

How long has this been working?
22-08-2022 13:52
(14414)
duncan61 wrote:

Who said it was ever working?

Who said it could ever work?

Who said the article's author isn't taking license to spin the purpose of the satellite for propaganda purposes?
22-08-2022 17:08
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
duncan61 wrote:

https://www.un-spider.org/news-and-events/news/sentinel-6-michael-freilich-enters-its-operational-phase
22-08-2022 17:34
(5197)
No measurement is possible. The oceans aren't contained in a graduated cylinder on a lab bench. The water is dynamic, constantly moving. Tides, currents, waves, weather all effect sea level, all the time. Water is added and removed all the time. There is no way to measure those changes in real-time, to adjust any depth measurements.

Even high tide at the shores aren't consistent, day to day, year after year. Beach front properties would have suffered, and been torn down decades ago. In Florida, we have seawalls over a hundred years old, that still do a good job protecting properties from tide and storm surge. The aren't submerged either. Still plenty of sandy beach. The sand does need to be replace every couple years, but nothing new.
22-08-2022 19:02
James_
★★★★★
(2238)
HarveyH55 wrote:
No measurement is possible. The oceans aren't contained in a graduated cylinder on a lab bench. The water is dynamic, constantly moving. Tides, currents, waves, weather all effect sea level, all the time. Water is added and removed all the time. There is no way to measure those changes in real-time, to adjust any depth measurements.

Even high tide at the shores aren't consistent, day to day, year after year. Beach front properties would have suffered, and been torn down decades ago. In Florida, we have seawalls over a hundred years old, that still do a good job protecting properties from tide and storm surge. The aren't submerged either. Still plenty of sandy beach. The sand does need to be replace every couple years, but nothing new.

With high tides at the beach, you'll need to consider F = G(m1m2)/R2. Then you'll need to multiply that by a sinꝋ (theta). That will show how the Moon's position will cause it to have a decreased gravitational effect based on the angle to the Earth's surface.
If the Moon is orbiting the equator then the effect of its gravitational pull will decrease the further the effect is measured from the equator.
Also this increases the distance between the Earth and the Moon as well because it is the specific point on the Earth's surface that is being considered.
23-08-2022 21:14
(21599)
duncan61 wrote:

It doesn't.

The Parrot Killer

23-08-2022 21:17
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:

You are getting close to the reason it is not possible to measure global sea level.

There is no valid reference point.

The Parrot Killer

23-08-2022 21:18
(21599)
James_ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

With high tides at the beach, you'll need to consider F = G(m1m2)/R2. Then you'll need to multiply that by a sinꝋ (theta). That will show how the Moon's position will cause it to have a decreased gravitational effect based on the angle to the Earth's surface.
If the Moon is orbiting the equator then the effect of its gravitational pull will decrease the further the effect is measured from the equator.
Also this increases the distance between the Earth and the Moon as well because it is the specific point on the Earth's surface that is being considered.

Jamesbabble. The Moon does not change the global sea level.

The Parrot Killer

23-08-2022 22:43
(5197)
James_ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

In a desperate need to show off, you of course missed the point. The ocean water never stands still, to be measured. Water is constantly added and removed do to evaporation/precipitation. The best we will ever get is a rough estimate. The Margin of Error to make claims of rising sea levels, or even that they are drying up.
24-08-2022 01:36
(14414)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Excellent points. I would add that all land is also moving, both laterally (inches /year) as well as vertically (sinking and/or rising) due to incessant geological activity.

As Into the Night points out, there simply is no absolute reference point.

People tend to confuse the use of relative reference points with the ability to declare an absolute reference point. If I'm standing on a boat out at sea, sure, I can talk about the sea level relative to my boat, at any given moment, to a high degree of accuracy and precision. So can the guy on a different boat two miles further out, except his values will always differ from mine at any given moment. Meanwhile, a guy on the beach can survey for sea level with very precise equipment at that same time, and based on the tide and his fixed position, he can get very accurate numbers ... that also differ from mine, and that differ from those of the other guy on the other boat two miles further out.

No absolute measurements can ever be taken. There is no limit to the number of precise relative measurements that can be taken, and none will comprise any sort of valid absolute measurement.

Page 2 of 2<12

Join the debate Satellite Measurements-- Sea Level Rise:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Can we trust the satellite and surface-based temperature records?123-04-2024 16:21
The Lake Mead water level is still rising in August, when it is ALWAYS falling. So snow melt is not the 15516-09-2023 13:46
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
FASTER GLACIER MELTING MECHANISM COULD CAUSE HUGE SEA LEVEL RISES420-05-2023 19:54
Methane big part of 'alarming' rise in planet-warming gases106-04-2023 21:46
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact