Remember me
▼ Content

Raccoon, and Global Warming?

Raccoon, and Global Warming?24-10-2020 01:05
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Do to the lack of Global Warming, and my dog dying a couple years ago, I've got a raccoon problem. A family of 5, has moved into my backyard, and fattening themselves up on cat food. They've been in the house at least twice. First time the scared easy, but the second time two of them were a little hesitant. Got a hunch, that they will be reluctant to leave pretty soon. My older cat doesn't like staying in much, sort of runs the 'hood'. Popular breed I guess, seems to be a lot of them, look a lot like him... He hadn't spent much time indoors, since a black kitten moved in a month or so ago. He was starving, seemed to get along okay with the other cat. But then again, that kitten scared easy, took a couple weeks, just to touch him. Now he owns the house, pesters the other cat, until goes back out. Had to put food and water up on the dryer, so he could eat in peace. Doesn't matter now, the little one can get up there now too. Older cat is going to hate me, but no food or water outdoors anymore. Kind of hate the idea of keeping the door shut on the cats. Both can fend for themselves, won't starve. The older one, never seen him kill anything. He's more of a 'porch pirate', like a raccoon. The kitten took right to hunting, even shares with me occasionally (little bastard). Sort of wish he'd quit killing all the lizards, since the kill bugs. Definitely don't like finding lizard heads around the house. He's brought me two cicadas so far. On got away, and it was a bitch to catch, not to mention those things are damn loud, inside the house.

I've got a motion activate sound and light show rigged up for tonight. It didn't scare the kitten though, just sat there in front the one that chimes, and kept triggering, annoying bastard. I've got some 50W Tweeters, and will see about throwing something together tomorrow, a lot louder. Going to shoot for 22 kHz, shouldn't hardly hear it, and hopefully not annoy the neighbors, much. I've got 3 10w white LEDs. I don't have any specs, or worked with a high wattage LED. Have to look a few up, and see what they need, and can handle. I'm thinking about sort of a strobe effect, slow rate, and on a motion detector. Should have to be only reasonably close to voltage and current max, not much for a heatsink, if at all. Wasted half a day messing with a disposable camera flash. Motion detector timed out, before it charged enough to flash, close to 10 seconds, just straight off the battery. Even with repeated triggers, it still wouldn't flash.

One raccoon, isn't too hard to encourage to move on. Not so sure about a whole family though.
24-10-2020 05:55
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
HarveyH55 wrote: Do to the lack of Global Warming, and my dog dying a couple years ago, I've got a raccoon problem. A family of 5, has moved into my backyard, and fattening themselves up on cat food.

Yep, you've got a family of Climate refugees. Global Warming predicted periods of no Global Warming, and during those times the changing Climate that we are destroying with our human activity becomes the true threat. Raccoons are among our most vulnerable and can least afford to return to their home of origin. It certainly explains your dog's untimely demise, i.e. it's Trump's fault for pulling us out of the Paris Climate Accord.

So keep the lids on your trash cans tied down and stock up on cat food before the Climate pandemic causes shortages. I hear the CDC will be issuing new guidelines for filling in "Climate" as the "Contributing Underlying Cause of Death" under COVID-19 on the death certificates ... and will waive the actual death requirement for the certificate to be completed by your physician.

Oh, one other thing ... you may only have a family of five raccoons at the moment, but Climate Change has made raccoons desperately dependent upon social networking and soon you will have a different picture:

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
24-10-2020 07:29
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
LOL IBDM.As I have now been on this forum for a while I have seen a pattern.Warmazombies come in then they go yet us dare I say social realists keep on keeping on.I built a shed this week and the chap I was doing it for was a good listener and we agreed the warming is a crock
24-10-2020 13:55
(5197)
duncan61 wrote:
LOL IBDM.As I have now been on this forum for a while I have seen a pattern.Warmazombies come in then they go yet us dare I say social realists keep on keeping on.I built a shed this week and the chap I was doing it for was a good listener and we agreed the warming is a crock

I think global warming makes better sense to young people, and those that don't really spend much time outdoors. We've had years with some extremes, either heat waves, or brutal cold winters. But for the most part, the weather is tolerable. Being focused on averages, the warming guys should know that it basically balances out. I really don't see how they can deny it constantly, long term weather has never been predicted, no many how many entrails the rip out and examine, they seldom get it right. We did have an active hurricane season, but they have given that same prediction for a decade, every year... Surprisingly though, no really major storms. The hurricanes, quickly down graded to tropical storms after making landfall.
24-10-2020 14:41
(5197)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote: Do to the lack of Global Warming, and my dog dying a couple years ago, I've got a raccoon problem. A family of 5, has moved into my backyard, and fattening themselves up on cat food.

Yep, you've got a family of Climate refugees. Global Warming predicted periods of no Global Warming, and during those times the changing Climate that we are destroying with our human activity becomes the true threat. Raccoons are among our most vulnerable and can least afford to return to their home of origin. It certainly explains your dog's untimely demise, i.e. it's Trump's fault for pulling us out of the Paris Climate Accord.

So keep the lids on your trash cans tied down and stock up on cat food before the Climate pandemic causes shortages. I hear the CDC will be issuing new guidelines for filling in "Climate" as the "Contributing Underlying Cause of Death" under COVID-19 on the death certificates ... and will waive the actual death requirement for the certificate to be completed by your physician.

Oh, one other thing ... you may only have a family of five raccoons at the moment, but Climate Change has made raccoons desperately dependent upon social networking and soon you will have a different picture:

All five are adults, four of them are only slightly smaller. Must be democrats, kids never seem to want to get out on their own...

No food and water outside, and the sound and light show, seemed to work. Only the cats triggered the motion detectors. The kitten seems fascinated by them, keeps triggering them.

With any luck, I should have a fairly loud noise maker by tonight. Figure I can use an H-bridge motor driver board, as a class D amplifier of sorts. All I really need to do is send a pulse to the reverse pin, really fast. A 555 timer chip should be able to handle the 20-22 kHz. I don't expect it to be clean audio, likely a clicking sound. I notice from past experiments, that the 555 tend to drift a little with temperature extremes. I didn't have the H-bridge boards back then. The hard part is going to be a weatherproof case for the electronics. The piezo tweeters are mostly plastic, held up well outdoors in the past. Figure I can splice into the low voltage landscape lights for power, and it shuts off automatically during the day. Unfortunately, I believe its 12 VAC, so I'll need to do a power supply, for smooth DC. Doesn't need to be perfect, so should be quick and easy to build. One of those projects, where a little sloppy work, might actually improve effectiveness. Just suppose to be loud and offensive.
24-10-2020 21:48
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
IBdaMann wrote:

That's one of your better ones, IBDM.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 24-10-2020 21:49
24-10-2020 21:50
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

All five are adults, four of them are only slightly smaller. Must be democrats, kids never seem to want to get out on their own...

No food and water outside, and the sound and light show, seemed to work. Only the cats triggered the motion detectors. The kitten seems fascinated by them, keeps triggering them.

With any luck, I should have a fairly loud noise maker by tonight. Figure I can use an H-bridge motor driver board, as a class D amplifier of sorts. All I really need to do is send a pulse to the reverse pin, really fast. A 555 timer chip should be able to handle the 20-22 kHz. I don't expect it to be clean audio, likely a clicking sound. I notice from past experiments, that the 555 tend to drift a little with temperature extremes. I didn't have the H-bridge boards back then. The hard part is going to be a weatherproof case for the electronics. The piezo tweeters are mostly plastic, held up well outdoors in the past. Figure I can splice into the low voltage landscape lights for power, and it shuts off automatically during the day. Unfortunately, I believe its 12 VAC, so I'll need to do a power supply, for smooth DC. Doesn't need to be perfect, so should be quick and easy to build. One of those projects, where a little sloppy work, might actually improve effectiveness. Just suppose to be loud and offensive.

Sounds like you've built an electronic cat toy!

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
26-10-2020 04:35
(5197)
Well, so much for sound and lights. The saw that the cats didn't mind, so they went back to looking for food. Didn't find any so they went to messing with the lights and sound stuff. No damage, just knocked the batteries loose. My super-loud project needs some work. It's definitely loud, but too noisy in the audio range. I really thought I could start the 555 directly from the PIR motion sensor, but no luck. Have to switch the power. Simple transistor switch didn't work, but might have gotten it hooked up wrong. Need to look it up. Probably should have just used a microcontroller, just way over kill. Don't really think it's going to be much of a deterrent. Kind of looks like I'll have to get mean, maybe some sort of shocking device. Could be amusing to see if all 5 of them need to get zapped, before the decide it's bad.
28-10-2020 16:52
(5197)
Trail cam from last night. I'm think of not messing with them for a while. They were eating acorns of the oak trees, and they are loaded this year. Haven't seen many squirrels this year. Least the raccoons don't bury them.
Attached image:

Edited on 28-10-2020 16:54
28-10-2020 17:39
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Well, so much for sound and lights. The saw that the cats didn't mind, so they went back to looking for food. Didn't find any so they went to messing with the lights and sound stuff. No damage, just knocked the batteries loose. My super-loud project needs some work. It's definitely loud, but too noisy in the audio range. I really thought I could start the 555 directly from the PIR motion sensor, but no luck. Have to switch the power. Simple transistor switch didn't work, but might have gotten it hooked up wrong. Need to look it up. Probably should have just used a microcontroller, just way over kill. Don't really think it's going to be much of a deterrent. Kind of looks like I'll have to get mean, maybe some sort of shocking device. Could be amusing to see if all 5 of them need to get zapped, before the decide it's bad.

Some farmers put up a couple of low electric fence wires around their corn to protect it from raccoons. It's pretty effective. Just get the cheapest one (about $35 in the U.S., what they call a '2 mile' fencer).

These things put out about 2kv at very low amperage as a pulse about once a second or so. Won't hurt the raccoons or cats. It's only 70mJ. Once they touch it though, they won't want to touch it again! They use so little power that a small solar inverter can be hooked up to power the thing, or you can just plug it in somewhere.

Just drive the ground rod into the dirt and put up the wire around the area you want to protect. You have to keep the grass and weeds from touching the wire though, or it will short the pulse out and it won't work against the raccoons (doesn't harm the unit).

If a cat happens to touch it, they will learn to leave that alone pretty quick! It harms no animals. You can even safely grab the wire (though it's unpleasant!).

You'll need insulated stakes to keep the wire off the ground about the height that raccoons will blunder into. Ratchet the wire nice and tight between the stakes.

The Parrot Killer

28-10-2020 20:58
(5197)
I thought about the fence charger even shopped around online a little. Don't think it'll work as a fence too well. The seem to learn from the cats... But, there is one thin raccoons do, that cats don't (much). They uses their hands, and they will reach inside stuff, for food. Even food the cats wouldn't be interested in. Just need to put something for bait, in metal, a charge that. Had some thoughts of using some large capacitors I've had sitting around. Some are bigger than a beer can, 300 VDC or greater, thousands of micro-farads. I don't think they are going to leave peaceful. Plenty of food for them, and water easy enough nearby. The oak trees are loaded, nothing I can do about that. I live in town, can't stop people from watering their lawn, plus we get rain, not a lot lately. Cats will just have to come in for their food, or catch their own. One hunts live, the other is a porch-pirate. The acorns are a different sort of pest. Lawnmower kills a bunch of them, so they don't sprout. The ones take root are tough to kill. Don't pull out the whole root, it comes back, until you do. Chemical weedkillers don't work so well anymore. The ones that work, never stay on the market long...
28-10-2020 22:24
(21599)
Heh. Acorns can be persistent little cusses, can't they? A fencer can work on a probe in a box, that raccoons can get into. I find it best to feed cats indoors, for the reasons you bring up in this thread. Chickens can raid catfood too, and cats are no match against a chicken.
29-10-2020 00:39
(5197)
I just had one cat a couple months ago, and he always came in for food, hangout for while. Then this starving kitten started coming, and helping himself to the food. The kitten annoys the older cat, specially while trying to eat or drink. So, had to start put food and water up where the kitten could reach it. Both cats prefer to spend nuch of their time outdoors, which is great for me.
31-10-2020 23:52
(5197)
Just upload some video from last night. Their behavior was a little disturbing, aggressive. The cats keep their distance, but they don't run and hide. The video is about a minute long, clips off a trail camera I set up, since my security camera mostly just covers the back porch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXqZkRfIKZQ
09-11-2020 22:10
(5197)
Had another in house visit from the raccoon gang Saturday night. So, decided to get mean, not to mention a possible an amusing video. I did some rework on a disposable camera flash board. Only took a few minutes. Probably should have put a power switch, and some means to discharge, other than a screwdriver... Got two more boards handy, and should be a bunch more stashed some place.

Don't know much about electric fences, beside not to pee on them... But thinking use a ground stake, maybe a foot or so, maybe all they would need to do is to touch a metal bait tray, attached to the positive. Maybe a little weaker, but they could get the whole body experience. Takes about 7 seconds, to charge the capacitor to 270 volts. Will likely offer both leads at the bait tray, so they get it, one way or another.

If it works, I'm think about making the other solar charging, and maybe a capacitor upgrade, only 120 uf, stock. Still should be a lot more zap, than an electric fence. Going larger, would just lengthen the charge time, and drain the battery quicker.

Unfortunately, we have a tropical storm blowing through. The center is suppose to be down near Cuba, but we've had squalls all day, up here in the middle of Florida. Goes from wind and rain, to sunshine every 20 minutes or so. Not great weather to play outside.
10-11-2020 00:27
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Do you know the average temperature or is it fluctuating.We had a cold front move in yesterday and conditions went from spring sunshine to winter weather.My client commented :hows this fit in to the warming theory:I had the answer.Its why it is now called Climate Change and the warming bit is left out.
10-11-2020 01:38
(5197)
duncan61 wrote:
Do you know the average temperature or is it fluctuating.We had a cold front move in yesterday and conditions went from spring sunshine to winter weather.My client commented :hows this fit in to the warming theory:I had the answer.Its why it is now called Climate Change and the warming bit is left out.

I didn't even look at the temperature, kept busy most of the day. Did seem pretty odd to be getting outer bands this early, specially on kind of a weak storm. We don't general have all day rain events like this, just with tropical storms. The bummer is that I'm on vacation this week, and looks like most of it's going to be wet. It must have been in the 80s today, my air conditioner was running some.
11-11-2020 21:19
(5197)
Video of the raccoon zapper in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcXv2FAcBSw

Three, ten second clips off the trail cam. First, is my kitten, which seemed to sprout wings... The second, is the raccoon family. Three out of 5, in 10 seconds, had to try it themselves. Imagine they'll try it again, and often... Last, was were I went out after the rain stopped, and found, as expected, the bottom can about half full of water. Didn't check to see if it was still shocky. The neon bulb wasn't lit, but that just means the flash capacitor wasn't fully charged. Still could have had about 300 volts, low current available. Added a power switch, which will also discharge the capacitor through a half watt, 10 ohm resistor. Fortunately, the waterproofing worked, and the circuit was fine, even discharging through the water in the cans. Think I need a larger capacitor for the raccoons.

Join the debate Raccoon, and Global Warming?:

Remember me

▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact