Remember me
▼ Content

What can I do professionally?


What can I do professionally?20-12-2016 18:01
ashleydw
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
There are several materials online about how to combat climate change personally as a private citizen.

However, I would like to know what I can do professionally. I'm entering a transition in my career and would like to dedicate the rest of it to saving the planet. I have a background in computer programming, engineering, music, and business.

At first, I thought the best thing to do would be to look for an engineering job at an alternative energy company, but I've done a lot of research and there doesn't seem to be a lot (if any) of those jobs in my area. I could potentially start such a company with my business background, but I am in no position to do that yet.

I've also read a lot about how we pretty much have the technology, or at least the capacity to create it, to save the planet, and what really needs to change is public opinion. If this is the case, it would probably make the most sense to focus on my music and entertainment background and do a lot of education and outreach events/products.

How can I make the biggest impact from my professional life?

Thank you!
20-12-2016 23:00
litesong
★★★★★
(2297)
[b]ashleydw wrote: How can I make the biggest impact from my professional life?


AGW scientists are transferring all their programs & data to media outside the U.S. They assume anti-sigh-ants T-rump & henchpersons will trash U.S. AGW science & programs. Maybe a few AGW scientists can get careers started in Europe, India, & Japan..... They say English & math is the language of science, but it'll be good to be able to speak the languages of the countries that might rescue you.
26-12-2016 02:12
ashleydw
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
Well I'm not necessarily looking for a career as an environmental scientist. My question is how do I make the biggest impact in my professional life with the skills I have.
26-12-2016 14:13
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1319)
ashleydw wrote:
There are several materials online about how to combat climate change personally as a private citizen.

However, I would like to know what I can do professionally. I'm entering a transition in my career and would like to dedicate the rest of it to saving the planet. I have a background in computer programming, engineering, music, and business.

At first, I thought the best thing to do would be to look for an engineering job at an alternative energy company, but I've done a lot of research and there doesn't seem to be a lot (if any) of those jobs in my area. I could potentially start such a company with my business background, but I am in no position to do that yet.

I've also read a lot about how we pretty much have the technology, or at least the capacity to create it, to save the planet, and what really needs to change is public opinion. If this is the case, it would probably make the most sense to focus on my music and entertainment background and do a lot of education and outreach events/products.

How can I make the biggest impact from my professional life?

Thank you!


If you have professional qualifications in engineering and would like a project then we should exchange none-disclosure documents because I have an idea to build wind power turbines that would have very low maintenance costs.

Potentially the cost of the electricity produced would be less than coal as opposed to being very much higher than anything other than nuclear that wind does today.

The building of an initial prototype would cost in the order of $150,000 I imagine but I don't have a proper costing as yet. The design is in an early stage.

Fancy a challenge to change the whole world's energy supply?
26-12-2016 19:36
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(6618)
ashleydw wrote: I'm entering a transition in my career and would like to dedicate the rest of it to saving the planet.

"Saving the planet" from what exactly?

... or do you mean that in the sense of "Save planets, collect valuable prizes"?


.


Sea level varies from place to place in the world - keepit

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
26-12-2016 19:36
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(6618)
ashleydw wrote: I'm entering a transition in my career and would like to dedicate the rest of it to saving the planet.

"Saving the planet" from what exactly?

... or do you mean that in the sense of "Save planets, collect valuable prizes"?


.


Sea level varies from place to place in the world - keepit

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
26-12-2016 23:54
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
ashleydw wrote:
There are several materials online about how to combat climate change personally as a private citizen.

However, I would like to know what I can do professionally. I'm entering a transition in my career and would like to dedicate the rest of it to saving the planet. I have a background in computer programming, engineering, music, and business.

At first, I thought the best thing to do would be to look for an engineering job at an alternative energy company, but I've done a lot of research and there doesn't seem to be a lot (if any) of those jobs in my area. I could potentially start such a company with my business background, but I am in no position to do that yet.

I've also read a lot about how we pretty much have the technology, or at least the capacity to create it, to save the planet, and what really needs to change is public opinion. If this is the case, it would probably make the most sense to focus on my music and entertainment background and do a lot of education and outreach events/products.

How can I make the biggest impact from my professional life?

Thank you!

That's a very good question, and not at all easy to answer.

Of the people whom I have known, the one who has probably achieved the most with regard to environmental protection is one of my former fellow students of physics. He went on to have a successful a career in solar power and is now head of a major solar panel research and design company. An amiable, diligent fellow with talents in both science and business, his contributions (and those of his employees) have surely done a great deal to reduce the costs of solar power and promote its use across Europe.

It all depends on your talents and opportunities, though I must admit that I'm a little sceptical of the benefits of so-called "awareness" concerts and events. I reckon a decent science teacher is likely to be at least as helpful in promoting an understanding of environmental matters as a musician, but those are just my thoughts. The big opinion leaders are, of course, politicians and journalists, so if your talents lie in that direction, you can certainly have an effect.

On the whole, I'd say: do what you do best, learn your trade, and then look to see how you can best use your talents for good.
29-12-2016 06:15
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(6618)
Surface Detail wrote: Of the people whom I have known, the one who has probably achieved the most with regard to environmental protection...

Ashley didn't ask about environmental protection, but rather about saving the planet.

How does one go about dedicating oneself to saving the planet?



.


Sea level varies from place to place in the world - keepit

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
29-12-2016 15:19
litesong
★★★★★
(2297)
IBdaMann wiffed: How does one go about dedicating oneself to saving the planet?


Answered on other threads:
"old sick silly sleepy sleazy slimy steenkin' filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AGW denier liar whiner i b da no sigh-ants mann" waited & did NOT take science chemistry astronomy physics algebra or pre-calc in an unearned hi skule DEE-plooomaa..... leading to its inglorious wanderings.

It is good that "old sick silly sleepy sleazy slimy steenkin' filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AGW denier liar whiner i b da no sigh-ants mann" ID's with racist sexist xenophobic non-sigh-ants followers (including the always small letters kkk) of racist sexist xenophobic non-sigh-ants billionaire T-rump.....

"old sick silly sleepy sleazy slimy steenkin' filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AGW denier liar whiner i b da no sigh-ants mann" can't save people on the planet, because it never dedicated itself to the knowledge that CAN save people on the planet.
30-12-2016 19:02
ashleydw
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
Tim the plumber wrote:
If you have professional qualifications in engineering and would like a project then we should exchange none-disclosure documents because I have an idea to build wind power turbines that would have very low maintenance costs.

Potentially the cost of the electricity produced would be less than coal as opposed to being very much higher than anything other than nuclear that wind does today.

The building of an initial prototype would cost in the order of $150,000 I imagine but I don't have a proper costing as yet. The design is in an early stage.

Fancy a challenge to change the whole world's energy supply?


That would certainly be a fun and useful challenge. However, I am no position to do that right now, financially or experience-wise. Maybe I'll check in with you in a few years.
30-12-2016 19:06
ashleydw
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
Surface Detail wrote:
That's a very good question, and not at all easy to answer.

Of the people whom I have known, the one who has probably achieved the most with regard to environmental protection is one of my former fellow students of physics. He went on to have a successful a career in solar power and is now head of a major solar panel research and design company. An amiable, diligent fellow with talents in both science and business, his contributions (and those of his employees) have surely done a great deal to reduce the costs of solar power and promote its use across Europe.

It all depends on your talents and opportunities, though I must admit that I'm a little sceptical of the benefits of so-called "awareness" concerts and events. I reckon a decent science teacher is likely to be at least as helpful in promoting an understanding of environmental matters as a musician, but those are just my thoughts. The big opinion leaders are, of course, politicians and journalists, so if your talents lie in that direction, you can certainly have an effect.

On the whole, I'd say: do what you do best, learn your trade, and then look to see how you can best use your talents for good.


Thank you for your thoughts - my first degree is actually in physics. It seems like there isn't a consensus on the best way to combat climate change.
23-01-2017 22:54
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1319)
ashleydw wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
If you have professional qualifications in engineering and would like a project then we should exchange none-disclosure documents because I have an idea to build wind power turbines that would have very low maintenance costs.

Potentially the cost of the electricity produced would be less than coal as opposed to being very much higher than anything other than nuclear that wind does today.

The building of an initial prototype would cost in the order of $150,000 I imagine but I don't have a proper costing as yet. The design is in an early stage.

Fancy a challenge to change the whole world's energy supply?


That would certainly be a fun and useful challenge. However, I am no position to do that right now, financially or experience-wise. Maybe I'll check in with you in a few years.


If you have a degree in physics and experience of either creating a research proposal or of comercial investment funding then surely you are in a position to help with the improved windturbine project?
02-02-2017 20:23
Wake
★★★★★
(4031)
ashleydw wrote:
There are several materials online about how to combat climate change personally as a private citizen.

However, I would like to know what I can do professionally. I'm entering a transition in my career and would like to dedicate the rest of it to saving the planet. I have a background in computer programming, engineering, music, and business.

At first, I thought the best thing to do would be to look for an engineering job at an alternative energy company, but I've done a lot of research and there doesn't seem to be a lot (if any) of those jobs in my area. I could potentially start such a company with my business background, but I am in no position to do that yet.

I've also read a lot about how we pretty much have the technology, or at least the capacity to create it, to save the planet, and what really needs to change is public opinion. If this is the case, it would probably make the most sense to focus on my music and entertainment background and do a lot of education and outreach events/products.

How can I make the biggest impact from my professional life?

Thank you!


I would suggest that you first actually learn what the facts are. You like many others have been propagandized by a government which was seeking greater power and control through giving the population something MORE to fear.

You will HAVE to dig deeply and start from a skeptics point of view. If you are an engineer you should be able to learn things such as this warm period is nothing more than another in a series of warm periods that occur about every thousand years or so.

And that we are presently in an interglacial period in the middle of an ice age.

Some day this ice age is going to end. And man isn't going to be able to stop it by whining.




Join the debate What can I do professionally?:

Remember me

▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact