Remember me
▼ Content

Titan Submersible

Titan Submersible21-06-2023 20:57
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14463)
What do you think happened to the Titan submersible?

Recap:

Titan is a tiny sub that takes three rich passengers down 3,800 meters to the ocean bottom for a personal, up-close view of the Titanic wreck. Cost per ticket: $250,000

Sunday morning, around 7 a.m., Titan descended with five passengers: Titan's pilot and owner, a French tour guide and the three rich luxury-tourists. The trip was intended to be a two-hour descent, a three-hour tour of the Titanic, and a two-hour resurfacing. Titan submerged with 96-hours of oxygen (enough to last until 7 a.m. Thursday morning).

at 8:45 a.m. (1 hour and 45 minutes after beginning descent), the support ship on the surface lost contact with Titan. No response. Radio silence.

They hadn't reached the sea floor yet.

They were supposed to resurface Sunday at 2:00 p.m. The support ship was already concerned due to the absence of any communication. At 4:40 p.m. they called the Coast Guard and filed a missing submerisible report.

What happened to the sub?

It is currently Wednesday afternoon, the Titan has 17 hours of oxygen remaining, but the Coast Guard, with the help of everything the US and Canada has to offer, still has no idea where they are, much less what happened to them.

What do you think happened to the Titan? My guess is that something happened on Sunday during the descent.

Things do not look good for our heroes.
22-06-2023 03:04
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21649)
IBdaMann wrote:
What do you think happened to the Titan submersible?

Recap:

Titan is a tiny sub that takes three rich passengers down 3,800 meters to the ocean bottom for a personal, up-close view of the Titanic wreck. Cost per ticket: $250,000

Sunday morning, around 7 a.m., Titan descended with five passengers: Titan's pilot and owner, a French tour guide and the three rich luxury-tourists. The trip was intended to be a two-hour descent, a three-hour tour of the Titanic, and a two-hour resurfacing. Titan submerged with 96-hours of oxygen (enough to last until 7 a.m. Thursday morning).

at 8:45 a.m. (1 hour and 45 minutes after beginning descent), the support ship on the surface lost contact with Titan. No response. Radio silence.

They hadn't reached the sea floor yet.

They were supposed to resurface Sunday at 2:00 p.m. The support ship was already concerned due to the absence of any communication. At 4:40 p.m. they called the Coast Guard and filed a missing submerisible report.

What happened to the sub?

It is currently Wednesday afternoon, the Titan has 17 hours of oxygen remaining, but the Coast Guard, with the help of everything the US and Canada has to offer, still has no idea where they are, much less what happened to them.

What do you think happened to the Titan? My guess is that something happened on Sunday during the descent.

Things do not look good for our heroes.

Lost power or maneuverability for some reason. That reason is as yet unknown. There is still someone alive, since they can hear banging, but it's hard to locate the wreck. Sound can travel a long way underwater.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
22-06-2023 15:31
(14463)
Into the Night wrote:Lost power or maneuverability for some reason. That reason is as yet unknown.

This is a good bet. The Titan is supposed to automatically return to the surface after 24 hours. It did not. The Titan uses weights to dive, and the submersible ditches the weights automatically after 24 hours to send the Titan back to the surface. I don't suppose this will happen if there's no power.

Into the Night wrote:There is still someone alive, since they can hear banging, but it's hard to locate the wreck.

This was bogus misinformation initiated by Rolling Stone magazine trying to get a jump on the hype reporting. Searchers heard "underwater noises". Rolling Stone embellished on that otherwise rather dull story line with the modifier "banging," to make it "banging noises," which gives the dramatic, but false, confirmation that they are still alive and within hearing distance. After being peppered with questions about the "banging noises," the US Coast Guard announced that there never were any "banging noises," ... only "underwater noises" which is what you would expect to pick up on any underwater sonar.

My thoughts:

The failure of the Titan to resurface after 24 hours indicates that they are/were stuck on the ocean floor. Your suggestion that there was a power outage is looking pretty good, especially since communication was abruptly severed.

The fact that there were no banging noises suggests that they died early on, from hypothermia or from a hull breach.

The fact that the search area has expanded to twice the size Connecticut instead of remaining narrowly focused at the site of the Titanic wreck (the Titan had almost descended completely to the Titanic wreck when communications abruptly ceased, just 15 minutes left to go in an otherwise two-hour descent) suggests that searchers do not have the proper equipment to find a submersible such as the Titan. I'm guessing that searchers started at the Titanic wreckage site and worked outwards, and propbably scanned over the Titan, possibly several times, but that the Titan appears as nothing more than background noise. Given this, it's not a surprise that we're about to enter the fifth day of searching and the search area is only expanding, not homing in.
22-06-2023 20:19
(21649)
Regardless what caused the sub to fail, they are probably dead now.

Another chapter to add to the Titanic tragedy.
22-06-2023 21:50
(14463)
Into the Night wrote:

That is correct. They were bolted in from the outside. They were not able to exit without someone on the outside undoing the bolts and letting them out. I have to question that bit of engineering.

How did it not have an emergency floating-tethered-beacon that simply emits a pulse every five seconds?

Why was there no protocol for cases of lost communication? ... or for when they didn't resurface? The communications went black at 0845, and nothing was done. They didn't resurface as expected at 1400, and nothing was done. At 1640, someone thought it might be a good idea to call the Coast Guard. Of course eight hours had passed, either eight hours of drift, or eight hours of no-power hypothermia, or eight hours of spent oxygen ... before someone at the Coast Guard was even notified. Of course, there were no emergency beacons sounding, and no living/conscious people at that point to bang on the Titan's walls as a signal. It seems that there was a lot of stupid at play.
23-06-2023 03:00
(21649)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

That is correct. They were bolted in from the outside. They were not able to exit without someone on the outside undoing the bolts and letting them out. I have to question that bit of engineering.

Being an amateur built sub, there was a lot of things not up to good practices for such a vessel.
It wouldn't have mattered in this case anyway, since there was no way they could open the hatch (even if they could) from the inside and escape under those pressures. Opening the hatch down there would mean instant death.
IBdaMann wrote:
How did it not have an emergency floating-tethered-beacon that simply emits a pulse every five seconds?

Good question. Too bad they didn't. It would've made finding the stranded sub a hell of a lot easier.
IBdaMann wrote:
Why was there no protocol for cases of lost communication?

Another good question. They probably didn't think of the possibility for something going that wrong until it happened.
IBdaMann wrote:
... or for when they didn't resurface?

The same.
IBdaMann wrote:
The communications went black at 0845, and nothing was done. They didn't resurface as expected at 1400, and nothing was done. At 1640, someone thought it might be a good idea to call the Coast Guard. Of course eight hours had passed, either eight hours of drift, or eight hours of no-power hypothermia, or eight hours of spent oxygen ... before someone at the Coast Guard was even notified. Of course, there were no emergency beacons sounding, and no living/conscious people at that point to bang on the Titan's walls as a signal. It seems that there was a lot of stupid at play.

Like most accidents of this type, there was.

You can consider accidents like this like lining up a series of holes. Any one hole not lined up would prevent the accident. All the holes have to line up for the accident to occur.

The holes were:
* an amateur built sub, not built to accepted practices of deep diving vessels and without safeguards, and with poorly designed maneuvering controls.
* no override to jettison diving weights.
* no established procedure for loss of communication.
* no established procedure for when to call for assistance.
* no established method for location equipment (such as an emergency sonar transponder, emergency beacon, etc).
* no drift plot established and communicated with the surface (normally done during the descent).
* little or no backup equipment on board or on the surface vessel.
* poor operating procedure, both by the sub pilot and by the crew on the surface vessel.
* poor support when emergency assistance arrived.

The actual cause of the sub failure can be determined if and when they recover the sub wreckage.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
23-06-2023 06:10
(21649)
They (the Coast Guard) found the sub wreckage. The vessel suffered a cataclysmic implosion. They were dead within milliseconds.
Edited on 23-06-2023 06:11
23-06-2023 06:27
(14463)
Into the Night wrote:They (the Coast Guard) found the sub wreckage. The vessel suffered a cataclysmic implosion. They were dead within milliseconds.

Why implode on that trip? It wasn't the first.

Anyway, if you have to go, instantly is probably the best way, as opposed to suffering through an eternity of keepit's insistence that software develops a will and decides things it wants.

Join the debate Titan Submersible:

Remember me

▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact