Remember me
▼ Content

Cold beer

Cold beer05-02-2021 05:32
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2938)
2 nights ago my 17 year old GE side by side fridge/freezer started making an annoying clicking noise. I pulled the back panel and it appears to be a bad relay on the circuit board. I ordered a new board AND paid the $55.00 to have it shipped next day air.

Well, next day turns into a blizzard. 6 inches of snow on top of an existing 14 inches with 45mph winds. There is a 1 ton Chevy dually with a V plow that is stuck on my road right now. I am old fashioned snowed in. No delivery of the circuit board and my beer is warm.

Temps are in the 15F range. Winds steady around 20mph. The snowpack is deep. I have 3 ways to get this beer cold.

1. Push cans down deep into the fluffy snow.

2. Tightly pack snow in a 5 gallon bucket with a can in the center.

3. Leave it out in the cold wind.

Any one of these options will work, but which one will cool my room temp (~72F) Coors Lite the most in 15 minutes? Why?

I honestly don't know, so I will do an experiment with 3 cans tomorrow, but first I'd like to see who actually knows their shit.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
Edited on 05-02-2021 06:07
05-02-2021 05:54
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14476)
GasGuzzler wrote:
2 nights ago my 17 year old GE side by side fridge/freezer started making an annoying clicking noise. I pulled the back panel and it appears to be a bad relay on the circuit board. I ordered a new board AND paid the $55.00 to have it shipped next day air.

Well, next day turns into a blizzard. 6 inches of snow on top of an existing 14 inches with 45mph winds. There is a 1 ton Chevy dually with a V plow that is stuck on my road right now. I am old fashioned snowed in. No delivery of the circuit board and my beer is warm.

Temps are in the 15F range. Winds steady around 20mph. The snowpack it deep. I have 3 ways to get this beer cold.

Any one of these options will work, but which one will cool my room temp (~72F) Coors Lite the most in 15 minutes? Why?

I honestly don't know, so I will do an experiment with 3 cans tomorrow, but first I'd like to see who actually knows their shit.

The cold wind is the best option. The snow actually becomes insulation against the cold once the outside temperature becomes colder than the snow itself, especially when there is wind.

However, one hybrid option is to leave the beer in the cold wind with some ice/snow on top. The warmest beer in the can will rise to the top where it will come in contact with a "fixed plate" at the temperature of the snow.

Don't be afraid to come to me with the hard stuff.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
05-02-2021 06:04
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2938)
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Temps are in the 15F range. Winds steady around 20mph. The snowpack it deep. I have 3 ways to get this beer cold.

The cold wind is the best option. The snow actually becomes insulation against the cold once the outside temperature becomes colder than the snow itself, especially when there is wind.

However, one hybrid option is to leave the beer in the cold wind with some ice/snow on top. The warmest beer in the can will rise to the top where it will come in contact with a "fixed plate" at the temperature of the snow.

Agree option 1 is no good. I did wonder though if packed in snow would offer better conduction than constant cold air. I will remove option 1 and make the hybrid option 1.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
05-02-2021 07:12
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Put cans in bucket and pack with snow.Keep adding snow to bucket as it melts until you have a snow water slurry at less than 0.C it will chill cans to 4.C which is just right in 15 minutes from the start.The wind will do zip compared to the conduction of an Ice slurry.Bonus with option 2
.You can move around with the cans
.You can add more cans and snow as required
.If and when you pass out from drinking the beer in the morning the cans will be just right and not frozen solid ready for day 2
05-02-2021 07:14
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
I know nothing about physics or science but I can make beer cold
05-02-2021 11:36
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21699)
GasGuzzler wrote:

Temps are in the 15F range. Winds steady around 20mph. The snowpack is deep. I have 3 ways to get this beer cold.

Leave it out in the wind. Snow acts like a thermal insulation since air is trapped between the flakes. Tightly packing snow reduces some of these air spaces, but the wind is still a faster way. The wind literally blows away energy emitted by the beer can, like putting a fan with a blast of cold air behind it on the beer can.

Since you have a freezer, is it the frost free type? Older freezers without this feature would build rime ice (tightly packed snow/ice) on the evaporator coils, effectively insulating them from the freezer box. Food in such a freezer would actually get warmer since coolant could no longer collect thermal energy from the freezer box to the coolant. The refrigerator portion would suffer too, since it is cooled by air pumped (or descending from) the freezer box. Food in the refrigerated portion would get warm enough to spoil with an iced up freezer.

How does the food warm at all? The insulation in the box for the unit is not perfect. Room heat will always leak through.

This alone should demonstrate that the best way to cool your beer down is to simply leave it in the cold wind, out of the sunlight.

Beware of beer thieves!

Note: You don't want the beer to freeze, so once it's reasonably cold, put the can in the snow. That's enough insulation to keep the beer from completely freezing. You want it just above freezing.

Dat's a nice cold beer!

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
05-02-2021 11:37
(21699)
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Agree option 1 is no good. I did wonder though if packed in snow would offer better conduction than constant cold air. I will remove option 1 and make the hybrid option 1.

Packed snow is better than loose snow, but still not as good as the wind.
Another method to improve on the wind option is to wet the cans first. As the wind evaporates the water, it will help cool the beer even faster.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 05-02-2021 11:39
05-02-2021 11:44
(21699)
duncan61 wrote:
Put cans in bucket and pack with snow.Keep adding snow to bucket as it melts until you have a snow water slurry at less than 0.C it will chill cans to 4.C which is just right in 15 minutes from the start.The wind will do zip compared to the conduction of an Ice slurry.Bonus with option 2
.You can move around with the cans
.You can add more cans and snow as required
.If and when you pass out from drinking the beer in the morning the cans will be just right and not frozen solid ready for day 2

A slurry will definitely be must faster cooling than the wind, Gotta be careful about that bucket out in the cold though. You will freeze your beer cans solidly in such a bucket, and the beer inside the cans will also freeze solid, which is NOT good for the beer.

The Parrot Killer

05-02-2021 12:22
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Rule 3 do not leave your bucket outside
05-02-2021 18:26
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5726)
GasGuzzler wrote:

Shoot the GE fridge, you will be a happier person

https://www.refrigeratorpro.com/our-ge-monogram-refrigerator-is-complete-junk.html
06-02-2021 04:01
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
GasGuzzler wrote:

Out of curiosity, how much for the replacement board? I do my own repairs too, but I'll rarely replace the whole board, unless it's coated with crap, to keep me from replacing parts. Never had a problem with my GE fridge, but it's on 6 years old. Not sure if I would trust board level repairs, since the food inside is an investment, I'd probably wouldn't want to gamble.

Mostly, I do the repairs, because I'm cheap.. But those boards are crazy expensive, when the part that fails only costs a buck or two, usually fairly common, and I can salvage something close enough, often better, for free. Gotten a few free appliances over the years, from people who figure it better, just to buy a new one, than the price of parts and labor, only to wonder and worry if the same part is going to fail, the same way, in the same amount of time. I'm not a professional, an can make no guaranties, but free, is free, or cheap. Doesn't hurt to try, just cost some time, usually learn something, if nothing else.
06-02-2021 06:26
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2938)
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Out of curiosity, how much for the replacement board? I do my own repairs too, but I'll rarely replace the whole board, unless it's coated with crap, to keep me from replacing parts. Never had a problem with my GE fridge, but it's on 6 years old. Not sure if I would trust board level repairs, since the food inside is an investment, I'd probably wouldn't want to gamble.

Mostly, I do the repairs, because I'm cheap.. But those boards are crazy expensive, when the part that fails only costs a buck or two, usually fairly common, and I can salvage something close enough, often better, for free. Gotten a few free appliances over the years, from people who figure it better, just to buy a new one, than the price of parts and labor, only to wonder and worry if the same part is going to fail, the same way, in the same amount of time. I'm not a professional, an can make no guaranties, but free, is free, or cheap. Doesn't hurt to try, just cost some time, usually learn something, if nothing else.

If it were just me I'd prolly try and repair the board. I'm like you, I enjoy fixing stuff and being cheap. Sounded like just a small relay that wasn't staying engaged.

However, when you're feeding a family of 4 out of that fridge, you suck it up and buy the part. Board was $125 plus $55 overnight shipping. Tax, title, and license $180.00. Ordered Tuesday evening and still didn't get it today.

Road finally got plowed today at 2pm. Hopefully tomorrow.

06-02-2021 15:22
(21699)
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

If it were just me I'd prolly try and repair the board. I'm like you, I enjoy fixing stuff and being cheap. Sounded like just a small relay that wasn't staying engaged.

However, when you're feeding a family of 4 out of that fridge, you suck it up and buy the part. Board was $125 plus $55 overnight shipping. Tax, title, and license $180.00. Ordered Tuesday evening and still didn't get it today.

Enjoying your beer yet?

The Parrot Killer

06-02-2021 16:31
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2938)
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Enjoying your beer yet?

NO! Spent most of yesterday extracting my truck and plow from down in the timber. I was plowing my drive and there is a curve and drop off toward the timber. At the moment I hit the curve, an idler pully bearing sheared off. It threw the belt into the fan and I lost power steering. Heading out this morning for parts. Just some shit luck lately. No time for silly beer experiments right now.

07-02-2021 02:05
(21699)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Enjoying your beer yet?

NO! Spent most of yesterday extracting my truck and plow from down in the timber. I was plowing my drive and there is a curve and drop off toward the timber. At the moment I hit the curve, an idler pully bearing sheared off. It threw the belt into the fan and I lost power steering. Heading out this morning for parts. Just some shit luck lately. No time for silly beer experiments right now.

Nasty time for that to go out on ya. At least you can go get parts now, but no one likes having to fix their truck in that kind of weather.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 07-02-2021 02:06
07-02-2021 02:18
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Bit hard to sell global warming when you are snowed in.Its February and traditionaly our hottest month and its raining and 27 max
07-02-2021 06:30
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
duncan61 wrote:
Bit hard to sell global warming when you are snowed in.Its February and traditionaly our hottest month and its raining and 27 max

No snow here, it's 11:30 PM, and only 70 F, little rain though. We had Tornado watch all morning too. The heavy storms stayed north of us though, just so much needed rain.
08-02-2021 17:15
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
duncan61 wrote:

Indeed it is.

In my neck of the woods of southern Wisconsin, this whole week is supposed to stay in the single digits (degF) for highs and get down to high single digit negatives (and even into double digit negatives) for lows, and that's before factoring in wind chill.
09-02-2021 03:46
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14476)
duncan61 wrote:Bit hard to sell global warming when you are snowed in.Its February and traditionaly our hottest month and its raining and 27 max

Blast from the past:

Selling Global Warming got a very cold response (pun intended) in 2014 when the Russian ship Academik Shokalskiy went to Antarctica to witness first hand the devastating effects of Global Warming and got trapped by rapidly forming sea ice.

They weren't vocally preaching Global Warming to the icebreaker crewmembers who had to rescue them.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
09-02-2021 08:34
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Love it IBDM.Thats the kind of stuff that makes me smile.All I can hope for now is the pratts wot think polar bears are dying go and camp with them and get their faces eaten off by a big ass nasty white bear
09-02-2021 08:48
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Icebound in Antarctica
In 2013 Akademik Shokalskiy was chartered by the Australasian Antarctic Expedition 2013–2014 to celebrate the centenary of the previous expedition under Douglas Mawson, and to repeat his scientific observations.[14] The expedition had nine scientific goals related to observations, mapping, and measurements of environmental, biological, and marine changes associated with climate change.[14] On 8 December 2013 the ship, with 74 people on board — four journalists, 19 scientists, 26 tourists, the expedition leader's wife and two children, and 22 crew members — sailed from Bluff in New Zealand to Antarctica.[15][16] Around 07:20 AEDT on 25 December 2013, the ship broadcast a distress message after becoming trapped in heavy ice a few miles from the coast of Antarctica, 100 nautical miles (190 km; 120 mi) east of the French base Dumont D'Urville and approximately 1,500 nautical miles (2,800 km; 1,700 mi) south of Hobart.[15] Chinese icebreaking research vessel Xuě Lóng, French research vessel L'Astrolabe and Australian icebreaker Aurora Australis were dispatched by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority to assist with the rescue operation of Akademik Shokalskiy.[15]

Xuě Lóng, which arrived first, was prevented by thick sea ice from coming closer than about 6 nautical miles (11 km; 6.9 mi) from Akademik Shokalskiy. However it remained in open water nearby as it carried a helicopter, which ultimately was deployed later for the rescue operation.[17] L'Astrolabe also turned back after encountering heavy ice.[17] Aurora Australis, arriving two days later, abandoned its attempt about 10 nautical miles (19 km; 12 mi)[citation needed] from the stranded ship, as the ice was too thick to be broken and because of the risk of also becoming trapped in the ice.[18]

On 2 January 2014, Akademik Shokalskiy's 52 passengers were evacuated to Aurora Australis by Xuě Lóng's helicopter, which transferred them between temporary ice helipads alongside each vessel.[19] The original plan was to helicopter the passengers to Xuě Lóng, then transfer them to Aurora Australis by boat, but the Chinese icebreaker had become trapped by ice.[19] After the rescue, Aurora Australis continued on her original mission to resupply Casey Station, before returning to Hobart on 22 January.[20][21] The 22 Akademik Shokalskiy crew were required by their employment contracts to stay aboard until the ship could be freed.[22]

On 4 January 2014, the American heavy icebreaker Polar Star was dispatched from Sydney, Australia to assist Akademik Shokalskiy and Xuě Lóng at the request of Australian authorities.[23] However, on 8 January the Australian Maritime Safety Authority confirmed that both vessels had broken free and were proceeding to open water, and later the same day Polar Star was released to scheduled duties.[24] On 14 January Akademik Shokalskiy returned to the port of Bluff.[25]

Environmental writer Andrew Revkin criticized the scientists on board Akademik Shokalskiy, stating that "important and costly field research in Antarctica has been seriously disrupted" by an "unessential" mission.[26] He also commended an article by Professor Michael Robinson of University of Hartford, which noted that the expedition aimed to use Mawson's observations as a baseline for their own scientific findings "that will illuminate Antarctica's future, not its past. As such, the voyage will prove to be well worth the time and effort.
09-02-2021 09:09
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
They went to watch it melt and got stuck and then the rescue got stuck.Never heard a lot about this little story
09-02-2021 17:12
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
I remember that story. An oldie but goodie for sure!

Join the debate Cold beer:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Quantum computer startup SEEQC unveils digital chip that operates at super cold temp3931-03-2023 19:52
Climate overview: erratic polar vortex - cold anomalies over the US and Europe video!!!122-04-2021 20:44
New York residents urged to take precautions to stay warm in the extreme cold1327-02-2021 02:42
Why is it so cold? In ten more years Americans will be begging for global warming3219-02-2021 21:32
An example of "Hot" Attracting "Cold"1411-09-2020 20:10
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact