(88)
I guess you all know the (alarmist) theory of the tipping points of the planet:

1) Radical defrosting of the Greenland ice sheet
2) Greater thaw of the Antarctic ice cover
3) Disappearance of boreal forests
4) Transformation of the deep water of the Atlantic Ocean
5) Ozone hole induced climate change
6) Disappearance of the Amazon jungle
7) Change of intensity and frequency of the El Niño phenomenon.
8) Collapse of the ice sheet of East Antarctica
9) Loss of ice in the Arctic Ocean
10) Tundra permafrost thaw
11) Chaotic destabilization of the Indian Ocean monsoons
12) Greening of the Sahara
13) Changes in the monsoon regime of East Africa
14) Changes in water bottom formations in Antarctica
15) Changes in the composition of the Earth's atmosphere (with a greater presence of greenhouse gases).

What are your opinions about it?

There are three kinds of climate change: that generated by natural factors; that generated by man; and that generated by economic interests.
22-10-2019 23:29
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14434)
Third world guy wrote:
I guess you all know the (alarmist) theory of the tipping points of the planet:

1) Radical defrosting of the Greenland ice sheet
2) Greater thaw of the Antarctic ice cover
3) Disappearance of boreal forests
4) Transformation of the deep water of the Atlantic Ocean
5) Ozone hole induced climate change
6) Disappearance of the Amazon jungle
7) Change of intensity and frequency of the El Niño phenomenon.
8) Collapse of the ice sheet of East Antarctica
9) Loss of ice in the Arctic Ocean
10) Tundra permafrost thaw
11) Chaotic destabilization of the Indian Ocean monsoons
12) Greening of the Sahara
13) Changes in the monsoon regime of East Africa
14) Changes in water bottom formations in Antarctica
15) Changes in the composition of the Earth's atmosphere (with a greater presence of greenhouse gases).

What are your opinions about it?

There's only one semi-somewhat-little-bit-plausible alarmist "tipping point" and it is that humans actually end up believing that there is a problem with atmospheric CO2 and devote sufficient resources to successfully eliminate it.

And all life on earth dies.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
23-10-2019 01:00
Third world guy
★☆☆☆☆
(88)
IBdaMann:

Thanks for your answer.

I agree with you that there are no reasons to worry for the moment. I do not believe that CO2 is harmful or that it warms the atmosphere. That is sure.

Here the question is another: if the planet warms itself for any natural reason, would the tipping points be realistic?

There are three kinds of climate change: that generated by natural factors; that generated by man; and that generated by economic interests.
23-10-2019 01:31
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Pretty much the entire list has been changing, long before we burned any fossil fuels, some years, more than others. The planet is a very dynamic, and complex system, changes constantly. A lot of changes happen over long periods of time, beyond anyone's lifetime. It hasn't been until the past century, we had the capacity to observe and measure many of them either. It's not that these changes are anything new, it's just that we have new ways to observe and record them.
23-10-2019 04:23
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14434)
Third world guy wrote:Here the question is another: if the planet warms itself for any natural reason, would the tipping points be realistic?

I have a problem with the wording.

1. No planet warms itself. "warms itself"= FALSE

2. If the sun (natural) warms the planet then there is equilibrium, not "tipping points."

3. There are zero "tipping points" ergo there must be zero REALISTIC "tipping points."

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist

Join the debate Tipping points:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Arctic ice hit one of its lowest points on record1105-10-2018 22:22
Points of Agreement2429-04-2017 21:45
Tipping point18610-02-2016 00:32
Whatever happened to the Global Warming "Tipping Points?"1405-10-2015 20:23
We passed the tipping point on climate change in 1901201-10-2015 18:07
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact